Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Do you like Puzzle and Dragons but lack the manual dexterity to activate Ra on a regular basis?

Do you like satisfying difficulty curves with lots of numbers that keep going up, up, up?

Do you appreciate games with consistent art styles, ok voice acting (in Japanese) and above average music?

Are you a mental defective that needs the rush of dopamine caused by a good gacha roll just to feel alive?

Are you a hopeless weeaboo obsessed with glorious Nippon?

If you thought “Eh, maybe?” in response to any of these questions, check out Granblue Fantasy, one of Japan’s most successful F2P browser games designed to pry hard earned :20bux: from your wallet.

Bears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sardjlGdOk
Pod Racing!

Exciting Battles!

Sassy Talking Lizards!

Silly Hats!

Luchadores!

This Fish!

Whales, both figurative!

And literal!

Whatever the gently caress this is!

Homoeroticism!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V5slSCB3vo

So, what’s this game’s deal?

The game generally plays like a mashup of a turn-based JRPG and a MMO. You assemble a team of 4 characters (2 in reserve) who stand on the right side of the screen and take turns whacking a monster on the left side. Combat includes both real-time elements (enemy buffs and debuffs last for a certain amount of time, and there is a damage racing mechanic), and turn-based (you take a turn then the enemy takes a turn, player buffs/debuffs last for a certain number of turns).

F2P? Gacha? Ehhhh…

Wait, come back! Most of your power comes from your developing your weapon grid, which is almost entirely dependent on beating content for item drops. Being a game that has a primarily Japanese audience, the developers are quite generous with giveaways of the freemium currency/free rolls at the gacha, and right now they are giving away a shocking number of free gacha rolls through March 8th. With a little perseverance and salted emails, you can roll yourself into a fully fleshed out set of characters to start off without spending a dime.

Wait, Japanese? Hey, this game isn’t even in English!

The game is fully translated into English, and it’s pretty easy to change in the configuration menu when you create an account. You can select English from a drop down menu when you create the account, and if you somehow manage to get through the tutorial without changing the language, tap the circle in the top right corner of the screen that says "Menu" (in English), then there's a copper button with gears next to it. Tap that one. You'll get a list of blue buttons and at the very bottom will be one that includes the English text "Language." Tap that. There's a drop down box, change that to English and then tap the button that includes the text "Save Changes" in English. Then the game will be in English.

This sounds an awful lot like Final Brave Fantasy Frontier Exevius Record Fire Emblem Galaxy of Heroes – why is it worth my time?
  • The game has an extremely satisfying difficulty curve. Over the first few months you get measurably stronger as you play, opening up more content at a reasonable clip while old content is still worthwhile to farm.
  • There’s a fun job system that takes inspiration from FF5 that makes for some interesting class choices as you build your team.
  • The art and music is very polished for a browser based game. That guy who did the music for Chrono Trigger made a bunch of tracks for the game.
  • The “MMO Lite” features of the game reward cooperation with other players, and there’s a thriving goon community on Discord.
  • Aside from a couple of characters that are a bit out of balance (Summer Zooey, I’m looking at you), most of the characters can make some case for being in your party at least occasionally, and between team selection and weapon grid choices there are a variety of interesting ways to build and optimize your team.
  • There's an overarching storyline that is probably about as good as an average/slightly below average console JRPG, which is saying something for a F2P game like this. All characters have "Fate Episodes" that tie them into the other characters in some way.
How much money am I going to spend?
Potentially none! There's enough content to be grinded out that you likely will never have to drop a dime. And if you do get tempted there are ways to bypass the Gacha and get exactly the character you want. This game does give out a lot of free stuff via events too. Well, free except the time investment. But at least the gameplay is fun.

Is it Pay to Win?
Not in a way that'll directly effect you. There's no PVP and all the multiplayer content is Co-Op so anyone whaling out is more likely to help than be a hindrance.

Resources:
Rerolling:
Do you need to reroll a bunch of accounts to get started? The short answer is no, but the long answer is that it depends. You could wait until there's a Legend Festival where SSR characters go from 3% to 6%. But if you want to play now there's not a huge downside.

Here are some considerations for rerolling:

0) If you think you're in the game for the long haul, ask in discord first before you decide to put yourself through reroll hell. Some generous goons started up a bunch of seed accounts during the third anniversary celebration and many ended up with multiple top tier characters on accounts they've earmarked to give a way to deserving newbie goons. Note, if you take one of these accounts but decide the game isn't for you, proper decorum is to offer it back to the account starter rather than let it go to waste.
1) We have several goons in Discord who are rerolling accounts for good starters with the crazy number of rolls for the third anniversary. Ask in chat for a starter account before you put yourself through the tedium of rerolling, since someone else may have done so already on your behalf.
2) Are you likely to ever spend money on the game? If so, you want to start during a legfest. This is because your “start dash” or “beginner ticket” is tied to the character pool available on the day you create the account. That means if you start during legfest, you can select a character from a limited list that you cannot get any other way, short of rolling 300 times during a single gacha banner period (called “sparking” – only for the most patient or the biggest whales). If you are totally committed to the F2P life, then this is less critical.
3) You can create 10 accounts/day from the same IP address, but each account needs a unique email. Luckily, the account creation system can’t tell the difference between salted emails. So, you can create a first account using email+1@gmail.com and a second email account email+2@gmail.com. Gmail ignores anything after the “+” character, so all of the email verification messages will go to the same account. Note: Cygames will use these addresses to send you multiple emails a day per account you create, so I highly suggest you create a throwaway email or set up some automatic routing rules to bin any emails for accounts you end up rolling garbage on.
4) What is your tedium tolerance? The more work you put in during account creation, the better you can set your account up for the long term, but if you burn out before even starting the game then it is just a tremendous waste of time.
5) The game gives you a free SSR from a pool of six (carmelina, zeta, de la fille, lady gray, melleau, charlotte) from your first ten roll. I wouldn’t stress over getting one of them in particular since they’re all sort of mediocre and won’t make or break your team.

Super Top Tier Reroll: Ideally you want either an unticketable summon or a legfest/event limited character. Unticketable summons are the most difficult to obtain thing out of the gacha, you can’t use a beginner ticket/start dash on them and they have super low drop rates. Legfest/event limiteds are a little easier in that you can start dash one, but you still won’t be able to use “surprise tickets” on them so the only option is the 300 roll selection mentioned above. Event limiteds only show up a couple times a year though. Of these options, the best are:

Unticketable Summons:
  • Ultra Top Tier: Lucifer, Bahamut, Shiva
  • Very good: Agni
  • Ok and very tough to get, but require endgame tech to really utilize: Hades, Titan, Zeus
  • Edge case useful and better than Zep: Varuna, Grande Order
  • Not so great: Zephyrus
  • Awesome for monotonous farming, lovely for fighting: Kaguya

Legfest/Event Limiteds:
  • Summer Zooey Tier: Summer Zooey*
  • Top tier: Lucio, Eugen, SSR Katalina, Mahira*, Orchid, Summer Beatrix*
  • Situationally Useful: Lecia, Black Knight, Rosetta, Christmas Rosetta*, Summer Heles*, Christmas Arulumaya*, Summer Vira*, Halloween Eustace*, Anila
  • Ok at best: Rackam, Io, Halloween Cagliostro*, Summer Danua*, Summer Zeta*, Summer Narmaya*
*denotes event limited characters, none of which are in the gacha right now as of 3/2/17

Top Tier Reroll: Assuming you are not an autist with crazy tolerance for unbelievably boring repetitive tasks, you probably don’t have the patience to reroll until you get a Bahamut, Lucifer, or one of the top legfest/event limiteds. In that case, the next least frustrating start is to reroll until you get a character listed in the 9.0 or higher category at the following list: http://gbf.wiki/Character_Tier_List

Of special note is SSR Yodarha, a water attacker who is by far the strongest character for beginners. You can ride this mustachioed potato up through the midgame really easily, and he’s even still useful in the endgame.

Mid Tier Reroll: Really any SSR other than your freebie from the first pull is likely to be enough to carry you for some time. If you’re starting outside of legfest and Cygames isn’t giving away a ton of rerolls, it’s still a decent start just to reroll until you get any second SSR rated character (after the 6 freebie pool) or one of the following summons (don’t just roll with a SSR summon not on this list or one of the above lists though, because many are trash tier):

Acceptable SSR Summons for Impatient Goons: Athena, Tezcatlipoca, Garuda, Baal, Medusa, Macula Marius, Apollo, Dark Angel Olivia

Eh, screw rerolling tier: Cygames gives away a ton of free rolls, and currently they are running an event for the third anniversary giving away a 10/roll a day from now through March 8th. Just YOLO’ing your start and hoping to get something good in the next few days isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Class, Characters, Weapons and Summons
The most complex thing about GBF is how much stuff there is to set for your party. First off you have your main character, Gran or Djeeta, (you can switch any time) and they have a class. Your class determines which skills you get and which weapon types your main weapon can be. Most skills you unlock can then be slotted into your Subskill slot as any other class. This includes different ranks of the same skill. So you can be a Hawkeye which grants Bounty Hunter III and still equip Bounty Hunter II from the Raider class.

For Characters you have five slots. Three active and two sub. When your active or main characters are defeated they're replaced by the sub character slots.

For Weapons you have one Main Weapon and then nine other slots. The main weapon is the only one restricted by class and it's element determines the element of your main character's damage.

Finally for Summons you have one main Summon and four sub Summon slots. Only your main Summon grants their Aura skill. Whenever you go into a quest you generally pick a friend or rando's Summon to help out to. You get their Aura skill AND they're much quicker to Summon.

Goon Crews
Crews are the GBF equivalent to Guilds. They provide various things like buffs to the members and each Crew can set a Strike Time where you get various bonuses for playing during like starting with full Charge bars in Raids.

You have to reach chapter 4 before you can join a crew.

There’s also a roughly monthly event called “Unite and Fight” or “Guild Wars” that requires your crew to team up to kill raid bosses. This is how you get uncap materials for SSR summons. Don’t worry about it if you are a newbie, but once you hit rank 80 or so and have most of your first grid assembled, you’re probably ready to meaningfully contribute if you have the time to put in.

• So* Awful - ExExnein - Strike Times: 4 PM & 10 PM MST
  • [Skybound] - SoSD - Strike Times: 1:00 PM and 9:00 PM MST
  • Arcadia - Happiness- ID: 10820509 - Strike Times: 1:00pm EST and 9:00pm EST
  • Foecast Memorial Society - Happiness- Strike Times: 1:00pm MST and 9:00pm MST

This is the best way to get into a crew and to find people to do raids and co-op with. Even if the thread seems slow, we are very active on Discord.

Condensed Guide to Getting Started

Step 1: Get on Discord. This game is a thousand times more fun with others, the channel is very welcoming to newbies, and we’ll help you puzzle your way through the million different menus and systems this game has. Link here: :getin::getin:A Discord Server to talk to Goons:getin::getin:

Step 2: Get an account set up:

The best way to play nowadays is through a browser, but there's also a version Play Store, (probably not going to be able to use this) and a Chrome app, or you could just access the Mobage site on a mobile browser. But depending on your device the normal browser version could be fine too.

And then just follow all the instructions in the English Language Guide linked above.

Step 3: Reroll your account (or not) until you are happy with your starter roll.

Step 4: Your AP (Stamina) recharges at a rate of 1 per 5 minutes. Storyline missions are free until chapter 40, so generally you want to use your AP on free quests until you burn it, then run story quests until you rank up, which refills your AP and increases your maximum AP gauge. You’ll unlock more and more content as you clear more of the story, and start amassing crystals. Also work on your pinboard missions. You get a free SSR draw ticket when you complete all three pinboards.

You’ll also start to get some weapons and summons; just throw whatever has the biggest numbers in your grid to start with (likely stuff you pull from the gacha, at first). Once you decide on an initial color team, then you can start optimizing by element.

Step 5: Start consuming more knowledge about the game, ask questions in discord, and start climbing the power curve – it’s a blast!

FAQ:

Why are my weapons giving me lower stats?
Some weapons have a rank requirement. As long as you're under this rank you don't get the full benefit of the weapon.

How do I throw my money into the gacha hole?
Since the game isn’t officially launched in the US, if you want to spend real money, you need to use Google Play via the Android APK, setup a JP iTunes account and buy JP iTunes gift cards, or buy mobacoin giftcards from resellers. Of these options, Google Play is by far the most efficient conversion ratio, and if you don’t have an android phone it’s well worth setting up an account using an emulator since you get a much better exchange rate using Google.

What is this Viramate thing I keep hearing about?
Viramate is a chrome extension that enables like a million little quality of life features that make the game easier to play. I use it and it is totally worth it. However, this is a third party addon that is technically against the EULA. To date, Cygames hasn't banned anyone for using it (and a ton of people do use it, so they're unlikely to), but use at your own risk. Don't poker bot though - that'll get you a bannin'.

Some example features:
  • Automatically populate a raid join dialogue box with the contents of your clipboard and enable one click use of berries to restore BP. Highly useful in conjunction with the raidfinder page linked above.
  • Summons "Favorites" list so you don't have to swap between pages when choosing a friend summon.
  • Widgets for tracking items in a sidebar on your main page so you don't have to constantly go back to the supplies page.
  • "Last Hosted" button in coop to simplify coop grinding.
  • Auto-disable of "Phalanx" sticker when you're playing a class that can't use the skill.

Here's a link to download it - again, use at your own risk: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/viramate/fgpokpknehglcioijejfeebigdnbnokj

Always Remember:

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

this game is alright i guess

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
can we get an OP who knows what Pinya are

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hi I'm Zep and I advocate making a Google Spreadsheet that lists everyone's Discord, SA, and GBF names so we can finally know who the gently caress everyone is.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I don't like this game.

*Pours hundreds more dollars into the gacha*

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think I got Foecast purged from Arcadia or something???

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
There's another reason now is a good time to try this game. The anime adaptation/advertisement is supposed to air in April. It is going to be really bad, but on the bright side, they are likely to give away more free stuff to attract and retain new players.

laith_rem
May 9, 2015

Hate-Senpai posted:

Hi I'm Zep and I advocate making a Google Spreadsheet that lists everyone's Discord, SA, and GBF names so we can finally know who the gently caress everyone is.

I agree with Stop

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill
If you want to get in on the ground floor before that Platinum game comes out, then you should play this game.

Maybe.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Stop being so down in the muck everyone. Be more energetic!
Go GB, Go GB, Go GB, Go GACHAGACHAGACHA

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Irisize posted:

I don't like this game.

*Pours hundreds more dollars into the gacha*

Don't dox me.

laith_rem posted:

I agree with Stop

I'm going to kill you, that's the Stop Guarantee.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

grrarg posted:

There's another reason now is a good time to try this game. The anime adaptation/advertisement is supposed to air in April. It is going to be really bad, but on the bright side, they are likely to give away more free stuff to attract and retain new players.

dont forget that platinum games is making a video game

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Postal Parcel posted:

Stop being so down in the muck everyone. Be more energetic!
Go GB, Go GB, Go GB, Go GACHAGACHAGACHA

Heh, Stop.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.
Please remember to pick the one true MC, Djeeta.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress is up with the complete lack of anime avatars on posters here. I refuse to accept y'all until anime avatar havers outnumber non anime avatar havers 3 to 1.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think I got Foecast purged from Arcadia or something???

A few visibly less active people got moved from Arcadia to the exciting new fourth crew.

If this includes you just accept the scout from it sometime tomorrow.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Hate-Senpai posted:

What the gently caress is up with the complete lack of anime avatars on posters here. I refuse to accept y'all until anime avatar havers outnumber non anime avatar havers 3 to 1.

Too busy throwing my avatar money into the daily gacha during legfest.

Shineix
Apr 2, 2010

Flanx2
Start now, and you can draw this guy and make all the goons jealous.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Drakes posted:

Too busy throwing my avatar money into the daily gacha during legfest.

I whaled myself a Zooey but that didn't stop me from having this Kawaii as hell avatar.

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill

Hate-Senpai posted:

Gotta hide your power levels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i made zep's gang tag and also helped tl the doujin his avatar text is from

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Hell yeah Sexy Akiba Detectives.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sad to see we still don't have a [Skybound] thread.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Can't have a first page without this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Are you saying I'm not as good as Varuna.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to Granblue Fantasy, hope you like poker

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

grrarg posted:

Can't have a first page without this.

:yeah:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

nftyw posted:

just bot it for 3 dollars a month friend

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

nftyw posted:

I never used the poker bot, so I don't get to feel the sting of its loss.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

Yeah everyone blame this girl when you see Zep acting smug in discord

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Granblue is okay I guess.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

hello, i need a coop buddy for sliming or coop buddies who want to farm sagi for a full set of plates.

please message me on discord if you want to relentlessly farm slimes with my elixirs and you don't need yoda to damage the slime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

Yeah everyone blame this girl when you see Zep acting smug in discord

I mean, I post the way I do cause of the chat thread and she was the OP...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gah

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

luckerfag here

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
dirt player reporting in

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Hate-Senpai posted:

I whaled myself a Zooey but that didn't stop me from having this Kawaii as hell avatar.

I ain't no whale!

Just a wee dolphin buying tickets and scam gacha during moments of weakness.

Mmm although that new uncapped zeta portrait looks tempting for an avatar maybe.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/jasperit/status/836894666201120770

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I'm gonna guess pulling Lucifer was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I'm gonna guess pulling Lucifer was good

Not only is he a good leader, but (more importantly) he'll help you find friends with strong summons, even in other elements

• Locked thread