Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3OxVFvTeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Are we supposed to use spoiler text or is this a read at your own risk thread?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Please use spoiler text for at least a while.

Some repeated thoughts from another thread:

Logan is good. You can feel it taking from Deadpool, but to the movie's benefit, in a way that works for Wolverine. Easily the best of his solo films.

Wild score, too. I liked it, but it's very prominent.

Professor X's whole story was right at the limit of what I was prepared to deal with in a popcorn blockbuster, though partly because the sort of mundane life experiences they were pulling from were things I had to go through with a parent not that long ago. Really hit me. And Patrick Stewart was really impressive, even for him.

Funny that they go with the conspiracy theory that the government is purposefully controlling us by putting things in our food and water, which they thematically relate to GMO crops. Everybody in the world of Logan's got that fluoride stare.

The final image being Logan having given everything just to give the kids a chance to try to figure out a future, was more affecting than I'm used to from these movies. I don't want to oversell the movie, but it definitely knew how to push my particular buttons.

Interesting that it's not necessarily the case that Days of Future Past and all that happened. I saw the whole thing with how the comic books weren't what really happened as being a nod to the differences between the relatively subdued world of Logan and the sort of insanity in things like Apocalypse. That sort of intra-franchise commentary is one of the things I see them borrowing from Deadpool, just without the explicit fourth-wall breaking.

Are we supposed to assume they only gave the kid adamantium claws, not the full body? Because it would be pretty hosed to lock her bones into the size they are as a child. Just doing the claws would fit with it being surgical, not that water tank thing we saw in X2.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are we supposed to assume they only gave the kid adamantium claws, not the full body? Because it would be pretty hosed to lock her bones into the size they are as a child. Just doing the claws would fit with it being surgical, not that water tank thing we saw in X2.

In the funny books X-23 only had adamantium on her claws, not her entire skeleton. So probably safe to assume that she won't suffer from the poisoning as heavily as Logan.

Glad to hear all the great reviews for this flick. Probably catch a matinee next week to avoid the crowds.

Edit: About the whole "all the mutants are gone thing: Is the GMO anti-mutant vaccine thing permanent? If people stop eating the corn, will they start producing mutants again? Also is the lack of mutants specific to the US or is it worldwide?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 3, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instead of copy-pasting posts from the other two threads I'll add something new, about the scene with Laura and the truck: when she's looking back and forth from Logan beating up their truck to the guy playing fetch with his dog I like that it works on the level of her seeing an opportunity to get them back into a functioning vehicle but also on the level of her making a choice between lifestyles. However much of a shut-in she might be and whether that means she doesn't get the symbols and context of the guy playing fetch with the dog, the audience sees Dog Dude as a universal symbol of easy-going idyllic life and that's contrasted with the impotently raging old gently caress-up killer with the broken down truck on a dusty highway and what will surely be a life of hardship and death.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

About the whole "all the mutants are gone thing: Is the GMO anti-mutant vaccine thing permanent? If people stop eating the corn, will they start producing mutants again? Also is the lack of mutants specific to the US or is it worldwide?

They describe it as gene therapy, which I think could be heritable or not, depending on the specifics. The implication is that it's worldwide.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

They describe it as gene therapy, which I think could be heritable or not, depending on the specifics. The implication is that it's worldwide.

They also mention no mutants have been born in 25 years, which means it was probably close to reaching worldwide levels during X-Men 2.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Robot Style posted:

They also mention no mutants have been born in 25 years, which means it was probably close to reaching worldwide levels during X-Men 2.

Doesn't Logan take place in 2059 or something?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Professor X's whole story was right at the limit of what I was prepared to deal with in a popcorn blockbuster, though partly because the sort of mundane life experiences they were pulling from were things I had to go through with a parent not that long ago. Really hit me. And Patrick Stewart was really impressive, even for him.

This didn't affect me much but maybe because the issue with the elder person was health. Whereas in Spider-Man 2 the issue with Aunt May is money. Particularly the early scene after Peter's birthday party when he tries to refuse her paltry handful of cash as a gift and she tearfully insists. I remember being like "whoa Spider-Man, I already relate to you as a character, you don't have to make poo poo so real for me."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Kinda shocked the thread title wasn't "The End of Logan's Run"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Doesn't Logan take place in 2059 or something?

I think it's less than that. Don't remember the exact year but I think it's about 20 years in the future.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty sure it's 2029. And his limo is a 2024 model.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Logan feels like a great standalone and to me is one of the best comic book movies made. A friend asking me if they needed to see the other x-men movies first made me realise I was taking for granted how Jackman and Stewart have embodied these characters for nearly two decades.

The resonance of Logan really rests on your connection to those characters. I think it could just about work with a vague knowledge of Wolverine and Prof. X.

Was really expecting an after credits scene of a claw hand punching out of the grave. Kind of glad they didn't but emotionally really wanted a sign that this wasn't the end for Wolverine.

It's impressive for a comic book movie to be a definitive conclusion to a character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah the year 2029 is mentioned I think a few times.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the year 2029 is mentioned I think a few times.

Yeah when Logan is driving people around in El Paso at the beginning one of the guys on the Coast to Coast or whatever radio show he's listening to says "It's 2029! Why are you still talking about mutants?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm glad that the motivating factor to get rid of mutants was to get back to the more pressing matter of oppressing and exploiting Mexicans. Logan's vision of Pence's 2029 America is looking pretty hectic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Also I guess this is a spoiler The Government was successful in hunting down mutants and killing them/torturing them whatever with Caliban helping them hunt them down. It's only been a year I think since Charles went crazy and killed the X Men team. Also, the ending of this was rather interesting because Logan doesn't use his claws to kill any of the main villians he just shoots him with a gun which is so out of character then he gets killed by Young Logan and has to be rescued.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The way that Logan deals with the last two figures is important because the end of the movie is Logan transforming back into The Wolverine and going buck-loving wild on the Reavers, but when that runs out - when The Wolverine takes him as far as it can go - he turns into a metaphorical Shane and blows away the bad guys, gunslinger-style.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just got back from it and absolutely loved it. It was almost more of a Mad Max/The Wrestler/Walk the Line mashup than a superhero movie to me.

Hugh Jackman is as good as expected but Patrick Stewart stole the show for me. His portrayal of Xavier really hit close to home because he reminded me so much of my dad in his last year before he passed. Losing his memory and being unable to take care of himself. The dinner scene where he was just enjoying the company of others to where Logan took him to his bed was a little rough to watch for me.

Weakest part of the movie to me was the villains but that's really not the point of the movie though.

One thing I might have missed?
The villain with the metal hand. Did his hand factor into anything at all? Other than "Hey I'm kinda like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget?"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I haven't seen an X-Men movie since First Class. Will that matter at all?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No. Go see it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No the film basically just ignore the other films.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not at all. I think they only referenced the very first X-Men movie in this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hollismason posted:

No the film basically just ignore the other films.

Good because I'm sure they sucked.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was an ok movie. So are they rebooting after this?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good because I'm sure they sucked.

Days of Future Past is good. And I like The Wolverine a lot because the cheesy 80s action movie vibe of it really appeals to me.

Anyway go see it.

Tenzarin posted:

Was an ok movie. So are they rebooting after this?

I think they're just gonna cast a different Wolverine in the 90s X-Man movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fistboy posted:

Just got back from it and absolutely loved it. It was almost more of a Mad Max/The Wrestler/Walk the Line mashup than a superhero movie to me.

Hugh Jackman is as good as expected but Patrick Stewart stole the show for me. His portrayal of Xavier really hit close to home because he reminded me so much of my dad in his last year before he passed. Losing his memory and being unable to take care of himself. The dinner scene where he was just enjoying the company of others to where Logan took him to his bed was a little rough to watch for me.

Weakest part of the movie to me was the villains but that's really not the point of the movie though.

One thing I might have missed?
The villain with the metal hand. Did his hand factor into anything at all? Other than "Hey I'm kinda like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget?"

It was supposed to go hand in hand with the genetically tampering with food to design the perfect homo sapien. Cybernetic enhancements and farming dead mutants for their powers looked like that was the villain from Hudson Hawk's agenda.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Very good movie, and had one villain I'm very glad they kept out of the trailers (unless you had a real eagle eye) and who I thought fit the story perfectly and was used just the right amount.

It could have been slightly better, but it's easily the best wolverine stand-alone (and ranks up there with days of future past and X-men 2), a rad farewell to the characters and the actors who played them, and really showed that every comic book movie doesn't need a massive team or insane special effects, and can instead rely on strong character work and a smaller cast. I don't expect to see it ever, but it'd be interesting to see the MCU's take on this sort of story. I can't imagine it'd ever be rated-R, but drat now I want a run-down Captain America who's lost faith in his country, or something along those lines.

Ending was also drat sweet, and I think works pretty drat well as a sum-up, and epilogue to, the themes and movies of the x-men.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think they're just gonna cast a different Wolverine in the 90s X-Man movie.

That's the way to go, no sign of comic book movies stopping anytime soon and Wolverine's too much of a money/important character to leave out, I'm down to see a fresh take on the character.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't know how they could show the bad guy of the movie is just the cloned embodiment of rage from Logan in the trailer.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Keeping the first X-movie and then the other Wolverine movies in continuity was nice. The comic thing felt a little forced, but they had to clarify this was the 'real' world.

Excellent throughout though, even with the possible 'GMOs are evil' subtext. The kids totally are proof against that.

I really appreciated the nods to Shane and more subtley to Lone Wolf And Cub.

Every actor actually did a standup job, and it helps that this is a final (future) story. So that when they feel like rebooting in a few years, there's already been a complete set of movies.

e: Did everyone get that -----Deadpool----- teaser bump before the movie? It was okay, but shows they're paying attention to viewers and their feedback.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 4, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If they made a comic with his likeness but he still works as a Taxi Driver? Real life Wolverine must have a lovely agent or lawyer or something that helps you get paid for this.

The after credit scene is at the start of the movie.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Tenzarin posted:

If they made a comic with his likeness but he still works as a Taxi Driver?

Muties don't have rights, duh.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good thing the bad guys brought the T-virus with them also.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought it was the second best comic book movie alternate telling of Lone Wolf and Cub (the first is Road to Perdition).

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Movie was pretty drat good. Only major criticism I have is Evil Logan. I mean yeah, there really doesn't need to be a super powerful villain here given it's these characters in their twilight years, but it was a bit hammy and a bit over the head a bit with the New Old Guy fights Old Old Guy thing.

That being said, loved the fact the movie had a R rating (it was pretty drat violent and justifiably so). Loved the dad and son interaction between Wolverine and the Professor. The whole scenes of Xavier having seizures causing a massive area to just freeze up and paralyze people was really intense.

I really also hope this is it for this branch of the series. There is absolutely no need to make a Kidz X-Men series after this point, this definitely should be it, as evidenced by the lack of a post credits scene. I think someone else can take the mantle of Wolverine.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I loved it when that loving family was murdered right before they were gonna be murdered by white racists.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I thought what was interesting was Old Logan doesn't actually beat Young Logan at all. He get's his rear end kicked up and down then is saved by other characters in both instances

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
how does an adamantium bullet go through an adamantium plated skull, but two pairs of adamantium claws don't cause any damage to each other, other than some sparks

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bullets impact at greater velocities than fists.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A Yolo Wizard posted:

how does an adamantium bullet go through an adamantium plated skull, but two pairs of adamantium claws don't cause any damage to each other, other than some sparks

This is pretty amazing insight, maybe speed of claws vs bullets?

• Locked thread