Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He was really arrogant. You know the type. He thought he was a super genius since he was a kind of smart kid, but he'd wasted his life lying and playing video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

He was really arrogant. You know the type. He thought he was a super genius since he was a kind of smart kid, but he'd wasted his life lying and playing video games.

dont dox me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That always blows my mind too, at this point everyone has some basic idea of the scope of forensics, but nope I won't try to burn my house down with a sketchy old neon sign or something, just dump that gasoline baby!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
someone i really dont like once walked in front of my car (illegally crossing the street) but i didn't run them over because from forensic files i know they'd be able to tell i didn't brake

oh yeah and cause murder is bad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That always blows my mind too, at this point everyone has some basic idea of the scope of forensics, but nope I won't try to burn my house down with a sketchy old neon sign or something, just dump that gasoline baby!

That one where the space heater actually did burn the woman's house down killing her son basically changed my position of the death penalty for eternity.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That one where the space heater actually did burn the woman's house down killing her son basically changed my position of the death penalty for eternity.

yeah, my problems with the death penalty center around the lack of certainty of guilt in a flawed system rather than any respect for human life.

the main thing that keeps me in favor of the death penalty is war crimes and serial killers

like, if you were responsible for literal genocide / a serial there's going to be an abundance of proof. shitloads of it. usually if someone was a literal serial killer they get caught because they were finally able to do a dna match.

all you're left with is whether it's "barbaric" or some poo poo and well, i'll admit that for some thing i think a little barbarism is justified. i don't like how lethal injection is handled, but i'd support guillotining / a shot to the head for those types.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Caganer posted:

yeah, my problems with the death penalty center around the lack of certainty of guilt in a flawed system rather than any respect for human life.

the main thing that keeps me in favor of the death penalty is war crimes and serial killers

like, if you were responsible for literal genocide / a serial there's going to be an abundance of proof. shitloads of it. usually if someone was a literal serial killer they get caught because they were finally able to do a dna match.

all you're left with is whether it's "barbaric" or some poo poo and well, i'll admit that for some thing i think a little barbarism is justified. i don't like how lethal injection is handled, but i'd support guillotining / a shot to the head for those types.
Yeah but if you leave it open as an option I think it's going to be used when people are emotionally very affected by what happened, and sometimes that can cloud things. Furthermore, I don't want to loving martyr someone. I want them to live out their life unable to ever hurt anyone else and to be cut off from media coverage of what they did.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I think our death penalty should be a bullet to the brain.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Yeah but if you leave it open as an option I think it's going to be used when people are emotionally very affected by what happened, and sometimes that can cloud things. Furthermore, I don't want to loving martyr someone. I want them to live out their life unable to ever hurt anyone else and to be cut off from media coverage of what they did.

My concern with genocidal ppl or mass killers like Brevik is that ideas have power and letting them sit around spewing their poo poo into the world had very real consequences.

Let them be martyrs. Timothy McVeigh the martyr is better than Timothy McVeigh the wackadoo writing letters to the alt right

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Caganer posted:

My concern with genocidal ppl or mass killers like Brevik is that ideas have power and letting them sit around spewing their poo poo into the world had very real consequences.

Let them be martyrs. Timothy McVeigh the martyr is better than Timothy McVeigh the wackadoo writing letters to the alt right

A 357 mag would work. We could even use 12 gauges if necessary.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

This might be a dumb question but can't they just give people like Brevik and Luka Magnotta a different sentence where they are allowed zero access to the outside world? Magnotta is an attention whore and you have no idea how much it pisses me off that his bitching and moaning gets put into the press on top of him making relationship connections with outside sycophants.

Also poo poo like Brevik getting a Playstation is what drives people to support the death penalty. I'm not saying I do, but maybe save those luxuries for literally anyone else in jail but him?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

This might be a dumb question but can't they just give people like Brevik and Luka Magnotta a different sentence where they are allowed zero access to the outside world? Magnotta is an attention whore and you have no idea how much it pisses me off that his bitching and moaning gets put into the press on top of him making relationship connections with outside sycophants.

Also poo poo like Brevik getting a Playstation is what drives people to support the death penalty. I'm not saying I do, but maybe save those luxuries for literally anyone else in jail but him?

kill 70 kids and get a playstation, breviks will always make my blood boil and its not fair that he doesnt get beat to death

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Because their legal systems view access to the outside world as a human right. The thing with rights is they apply to everyone. :shrug:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Caganer posted:

Agreed. How many people born after 1995 even know who McVeigh is? If he was still alive and had access to the internet, he'd be a loving hero to the alt right.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

Because their legal systems view access to the outside world as a human right. The thing with rights is they apply to everyone. :shrug:

I understand but maybe take away that right when it's discovered that they are spreading propaganda and enticing others to commit similar crimes rather than looking up information on types of birds??

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

I understand but maybe take away that right when it's discovered that they are spreading propaganda and enticing others to commit similar crimes rather than looking up information on types of birds??

You don’t seem to understand rights. That’s like saying “why don’t we just shoot McVeigh on sight? Just revoke his trial rights!”

That’s not how rights or laws work

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Caganer posted:

You don’t seem to understand rights. That’s like saying “why don’t we just shoot McVeigh on sight? Just revoke his trial rights!”

That’s not how rights or laws work
Actually, I think you'll find that many laws have an "if you break this law you will lose a number of rights" clause built right in! Giving up due process is in no way comparable to losing your right to move about the country because you committed a crime and are now locked up in the pokey for 15 years.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Yawgmoth posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that many laws have an "if you break this law you will lose a number of rights" clause built right in! Giving up due process is in no way comparable to losing your right to move about the country because you committed a crime and are now locked up in the pokey for 15 years.

yes but cruel and unusual punishment isn't allowed. countries like norway consider locking someone in a room with nothing to do to be cruel and unusual, and i'm inclined to agree.

the purspose of the death penalty is not to inflict pain - it's to remove the truly dangerous from our society. people like ted bundy who will kill if they escape, or mcveigh that will keep putting out hate.

norway actually has a good thing going because brevik whining about his ps2 makes him look like a huge pussy, not a badass to be emulated

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Crimes

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I wish Netflix had a shuffle feature for 23min shows. Especially when there’s like 200 of the things.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I wish they had a feature that let you delete the ones you know you aren't going to watch.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Robokomodo posted:

I wish Netflix had a shuffle feature for 23min shows. Especially when there’s like 200 of the things.

I'm surprised no one has coded a 3rd party one. Aren't the URLs the same for each show for each user? Seems like with a little spidering you could make a site that uses redirects to do so...

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Sorry if this is off topic but I figured this might be a good place to ask this: anyone have recs on sword and scale episodes to listen to? I finished all of Forensic Files, I had been listening to LPOTL a lot and it's good but I'm mostly caught up now.

Or any other recs? I prefer stuff like FF that's sciencey or that mocks the perps (TIMOTHY THE NOODLE MCVEIGH) ala LPOTL rather than really cheesy dateline type stuff.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Holy crap this show is on Netflix. Grew up watching it, gonna have it running 100% of the time in the background now.

First episode:
"There's not many people in Idaho, so if you have a 1 in one million chance of it being someone's DNA, that tells you that if everybody in Idaho's in the same room, this is still the only person it could be."

I'm from Idaho :negative:

Netflix only has handpicked ones but if you click the following link, you'll have access to drat near all of the old ones for free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?FilmRiseTrueCrime?playlists You can also find all of the New Detectives and FBI Files stuff on there.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

Sorry if this is off topic but I figured this might be a good place to ask this: anyone have recs on sword and scale episodes to listen to? I finished all of Forensic Files, I had been listening to LPOTL a lot and it's good but I'm mostly caught up now.

Or any other recs? I prefer stuff like FF that's sciencey or that mocks the perps (TIMOTHY THE NOODLE MCVEIGH) ala LPOTL rather than really cheesy dateline type stuff.

48 Hours is like Dateline but less cheesy

You might like "In an Instant". I just watched a good one of that put out about the Good Guys store hostages.

Robokomodo posted:

MightyJoe36 posted:

I wish they had a feature that let you delete the ones you know you aren't going to watch.

Get Plex. A little more annoying to set up than Netflix but it will do exactly what you want. I don't have a goddamn episode of The Simpsons past 1998.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

48 Hours is like Dateline but less cheesy

You might like "In an Instant". I just watched a good one of that put out about the Good Guys store hostages.

Get Plex. A little more annoying to set up than Netflix but it will do exactly what you want. I don't have a goddamn episode of The Simpsons past 1998.

I mean Plex is great but it's not really a replacement for a streaming service it's kind of a build your own version of them , you need the media on your computer

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Apropos of nothing, there’s also a Netflix documentary series on the Indian cult that poisoned a small town, Wild, Wild World.

It’s basically a pretty thorough explanation of what happened from the Rajneesh cult’s creation to the modern day incarnation, interviewing people from all sides involved... Though, uh, fair warning, there is a lot of implicit sympathy for the cult by the film makers, though they don’t deny any of the really screwy poo poo they pulled, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

• Locked thread