Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Three-Phase posted:

The most horrifying one I remember:

Mom has baby. Baby dies.
Forensics find ethylene glycol in baby. Mom charged and convicted of murder. Claims she did nothing.
Baby is exhumed later and they redo the analysis. Like a chromatograph.
It's NOT ethylene glycol but a similar poison. Baby had a birth defect where his body metabolized stuff wrong which created the poison. The chemicals were subtly different peaks on the graph.
Mom exhonerated and released from prison.

If you ever want to have a weird time thinking about human frailty, read up on the various mutations that babies are tested for via heel-stick blood samples shortly after birth. They're basically all "your baby's body processes this fairly basic chemical into poo poo that will kill him or destroy his brain; here's an itemized list of things he can never eat." It's great that we can actually test for this, and children whose mutations of this form are identified and worked with via diet have good overall outcomes, but it's still kind of unnerving to think about how trivially one DNA fuckup can turn your chemical metabolism into a death machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Forensic Files is easily one of my favorite shows. My wife and I used to watch Investigation Discovery all day every day, but we found their other shows to be way too depressing. For whatever reason, Forensic Files didn't make us feel like total garbage after watching it like a lot of the ID shows do, though of course the ones where babies and kids are killed still fucks you up for a few days. But whatever Forensic Files does, they somehow present it in a way that we don't want to jump off a cliff after binge watching it. Can't say the same for shows like "The Nightmare Next Door". "I Survived" was another show we had to completely stop watching.

Anyway I am so glad I am the first to post one of my favorite Forensic Files episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JT0xhK5Cjo

This one is incredible. A guy has something incriminating about him on a floppy disk that implicates him in a murder. He goes down to the police station, asks to see the disk, and the loving cops give it to him. He proceeds to cut the disc into a bunch of pieces with a scissor while standing there.

It's a great episode for so many reasons (stupid cops, how they fixed the disk, etc.).

whoflungpoop posted:

not a re-enactment.

This is another incredible episode if anyone is not familiar. That is an actual photograph taken by the murderers. They pushed this poor girl off a cliff (claimed she fell), and for some unknown reason, they took a bunch of pictures where it was painfully loving obvious this girl was not having a good time as "proof" it was an accident. It really was one of the more memorable ones because of how painfully stupid the murderers were. The episode is called "Financial Downfall" and someone linked it earlier in the thread.

There was another episode that stuck out to me, because the plan actually seemed pretty smart (even though the guy was convicted). He wanted to kill his wife, so this is what he did: she came home from a vacation and told her husband the taxi driver that brought her home was driving a bit erratic. This is all he needed to hear (I guess he was waiting for her to complain about someone at some point to hatch his plan). He insisted over and over that she lodge a formal complaint and demand the guy be fired for it. He kept insisting that she make a complaint even though she really didn't want the guy to lose his job, but the husband insisted. So eventually the driver gets in trouble or fired or whatever. The husband then contacts the guy, apologizes, and asks the guy if he would like to come over for dinner to make it up to him. The husband shoots the driver when he arrives, as well as his wife. The husband claimed the taxi driver was so enraged that she complained that he came to the house and killed his wife, and the husband then killed the driver in self defense. It was so loving convoluted that I remembered it to this day.

Anyway, can a goon with Netflix tell me if they have every single episode available on there? I downloaded a torrent a few years back but it's missing quite a few episodes. I would literally get Netflix for this one show.

Speaking of which, why is the name of the show sometimes changed? Sometimes it is called Mystery Detectives. Sometimes it is called Medical Detectives (which is stupid because the computer hacking one has nothing to do with medical stuff). Is there some weird financial or legal reason the name changes? I am really curious because my TV guide thing won't even bother changing it from Forensic Files, and the narrator will still mention the name "Forensic Files" in the show sometimes. It's just so goddamn weird that I wanted to know the reason behind it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 8, 2017

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I think about that floppy disk one all the time. The dude who cut it up was a total baller only to be equaled by the dude with the tape.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As far as I'm aware, FilmRise put literally every single episode on Youtube.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

HJE-Cobra posted:

Amazing, my wife just started watching Forensic Files on Netflix too. She's never seen it before. I have, I think my sister used to watch it when we were younger.

My wife likes how Forensic Files is about solving murder mysteries, but no stupid things like "plot" or "character development" get in the way. Also it's like a million episodes on Netflix now so she can watch them forever. She watched like eight in a row yesterday.

better check what episodes she's watching so you don't get murdered.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tired Moritz posted:

better check what episodes she's watching so you don't get murdered.

"That's odd... my wife is watching a lot of Forensic Files but only the episode where husbands are murdered by their wives... and the wives get away with it..."

"Sir this is a McDonalds drive through"

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I like forensic files because its short, and light on corny re-enactments and weepy interviews.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Haverchuck posted:

I like forensic files because its short, and light on corny re-enactments and weepy interviews.

Actually I think you solved the mystery as to why the show doesn't put me in a huge funk after watching it (I wanna jump off a bridge after watching I Survived; seriously never watch that show)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
idk why but i love stories about women murderers.

maybe its because they always use poison and all that poo poo which is COOL AND GOOD

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

idk why but i love stories about women murderers.

maybe its because they always use poison and all that poo poo which is COOL AND GOOD

Sometimes they stab you while you're taking a shower and then cut your throat and shoot you in the head.

Has anyone here seen the crime scene photos from the Jodi Arias case? They are really disturbing. First you see the "before" photo of the guy that she took of him in the shower before she killed him which is chilling on its own, and then there are the "after" photos of his corpse all stabbed up and hosed up laying at the bottom of the shower like a grey broken doll. He doesn't even look human anymore.

I only saw these photos a few days ago and I can't get them out of my head.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Pick posted:

As far as I'm aware, FilmRise put literally every single episode on Youtube.
There's a few they've missed, like the DC sniper episode. Thankfully, some random guy on youtube uploaded that and like ten others that Filmrise hasn't put up yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgtkYZ_6NTo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

JiveHonky posted:

Sometimes they stab you while you're taking a shower and then cut your throat and shoot you in the head.

Has anyone here seen the crime scene photos from the Jodi Arias case? They are really disturbing. First you see the "before" photo of the guy that she took of him in the shower before she killed him which is chilling on its own, and then there are the "after" photos of his corpse all stabbed up and hosed up laying at the bottom of the shower like a grey broken doll. He doesn't even look human anymore.

I only saw these photos a few days ago and I can't get them out of my head.

I never understood why she thought taking pictures was a good idea? I mean she hid the camera in her washing machine so obviously she knew there were incriminating photos on it.

The best was apparently the final photo only happened because when she dropped it, it landed on the capture button.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I never understood why she thought taking pictures was a good idea? I mean she hid the camera in her washing machine so obviously she knew there were incriminating photos on it.

The best was apparently the final photo only happened because when she dropped it, it landed on the capture button.

Yeah, especially since I think her alibi was "self-defense". Destroy the camera dummy.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Started watching this on Netflix based on this thread.

5 episodes in and i'm hooked. Forensic science rules!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Will this show teach me how to drive my enemies before me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For some reason I find this show very relaxing, so I like to watch it before I go to bed :)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What gets me about these shows is usually the incompetence of the police, the really bad 'science' involved in forensics a lot of the time, and how often it comes down to dumb luck in solving the case.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Mozi posted:

What gets me about these shows is usually the incompetence of the police, the really bad 'science' involved in forensics a lot of the time, and how often it comes down to dumb luck in solving the case.

Welcome to the 80s

(I'm assuming this takes places in the 80s)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Psycho Society posted:

Welcome to the 80s

(I'm assuming this takes places in the 80s)

It's fascinating to see the difference between S1 and S14. The development of forensic technology is crazy. S1 is like, "we just invented this crazy poo poo called 'luminol' that makes blood GLOW!!!" and you're like yea no poo poo??

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
post good episodes. the mold one in the op loving sucks

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
A while back I had ID on in the background, not really watching it, half listening. When I finally pay attention the show turns out to be about a woman who was followed back to her apartment by some guy. She's getting ready for a date with her boyfriend when the stalker breaks in and rapes/murders her. While the rape is going on the boyfriend comes by the apartment to see why she's late. He loudly knocks on the door and calls for her but she can't answer for obvious reasosns. The boyfriend shrugs and decides to go drive around and look for her.

For some reason I stopped watching that channel after that. I'll stick with Unsolved Mysteries.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
the watchable programs on ID are the ones they didnt make

e: I don't know if they made joe kenda homicide hunter but that one is p decent the guy is kinda funny

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I love the ones where the killers are a mixture of really smart and really stupid, like there's one where a woman who was a pharmaceutical researcher killed her husband who was also a pharmaceutical researcher with the help of one of his co-workers who she was having an affair with, but they poisoned him with an arsenic-containing compound that wasn't anywhere in his labs but that she worked with.

I also can't get over the stupid pun titles, like "Cereal Killer". Like come on Forensics Files people died

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Homicide Hunter with Lt. Joe Kenda is good poo poo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

One of the saddest FF episodes I remember was a family was going on vacation. The dad had to leave a day or so later because of work. While the mom and daughters are having dinner, they meet a kindly seeming man that offers to take them out onto the water to watch the sunset from his boat.

He tortured and raped them, hog tied them, put cinderblocks around their necks and pushed them overboard to drown. Dad gets to town to join them and finds out his whole family's been murdered.

The whole thing was horrific enough, then they had to go and mention one of the girls had managed to get free of the ropes but couldn't get the cinderblock off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oba Chandler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYn5HDCBChk

It's not mentioned in the video, but they weren't just going "on vacation", they were taking a trip because the older sister had been raped by her uncle and needed to get away in the aftermath.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Okay, this thread made me too depressed

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

girl pants posted:

I love the ones where the killers are a mixture of really smart and really stupid, like there's one where a woman who was a pharmaceutical researcher killed her husband who was also a pharmaceutical researcher with the help of one of his co-workers who she was having an affair with, but they poisoned him with an arsenic-containing compound that wasn't anywhere in his labs but that she worked with.

I also can't get over the stupid pun titles, like "Cereal Killer". Like come on Forensics Files people died

"Purebread Murder" with the footprints in hamburger buns is my favorite.

"Dew Process" and "Kil'ligraphy" are close seconds.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pick posted:

Oba Chandler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYn5HDCBChk

It's not mentioned in the video, but they weren't just going "on vacation", they were taking a trip because the older sister had been raped by her uncle and needed to get away in the aftermath.

Well, as if the whole thing wasn't already the most depressing thing, that info just makes it even more horrifying.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I've been watching this while I'm on the treadmill at the gym and really enjoying it, even though some episodes are super obvious. Episode 3 had a cool twist!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Homicide Hunter with Lt. Joe Kenda is good poo poo

I listened to that Detective podcast with him that was good but short. Didn't know he had a TV show.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i asked my uncle who is a federal cop in australia how to kill somebody and he said that you just blast them with a shotgun while they get the paper in the morning and drive off, he said that's pretty much impossible to solve if you don't get seen.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Caesar Saladin posted:

i asked my uncle who is a federal cop in australia how to kill somebody and he said that you just blast them with a shotgun while they get the paper in the morning and drive off, he said that's pretty much impossible to solve if you don't get seen.

newspapers?! wow is australia stuck in the 30s?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

500 good dogs posted:

judging by the racism, yes it is

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

500 good dogs posted:

ohhhhh yeah

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I listened to that Detective podcast with him that was good but short. Didn't know he had a TV show.

He is a character, I love his delivery. I think the show is up to season 7 now.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

pug solves crime

https://youtu.be/WVCQLntttww?t=14m16s

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Caesar Saladin posted:

I have a friend who is a cop (in the US), and he said one of their unsolved cases was some guy walking to his car after grocery shopping or whatever and someone just blasted him with a shotgun and drove away. They have no idea who did it or why.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Caesar Saladin posted:

Although these days you might have to spend a lot of time driving around to find someone collecting a paper.

Having zero connection to the victim and no motive is a damned good start, though.

The episodes which make me laugh are the ones where they assume the suspect is law enforcement because they can't find any physical evidence. Seriously? TV alone is deluged with true crime stories, and true crime books go into even greater detail about the mistakes which led to people being caught.

One of my favourite shows at the moment is Evil Genius. So far it's been all about cons and heists, which makes the "Evil" in the title seem unwarranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Lolie posted:

Having zero connection to the victim and no motive is a damned good start, though.

The episodes which make me laugh are the ones where they assume the suspect is law enforcement because they can't find any physical evidence. Seriously? TV alone is deluged with true crime stories, and true crime books go into even greater detail about the mistakes which led to people being caught.

To be fair, "Forensic Files" and "The New Detectives" were some of the first shows to really have that kind of attention to the finding and analysis of physical evidence (CSI was apparently inspired by "The New Detectives") and a good amount of the crimes described, especially in early seasons, were from the 1980s. That was probably a fair assumption to make.

• Locked thread