Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Augus posted:

They clearly frontloaded all the best material but people who act like rest of the season was just poo poo garbage are really silly.

1-3 are perfect. 4 is near-perfect. 5-7 are still really good, even if 7 is where the pacing issues really start to show.

8-10 are...are when the pacing becomes a gigantic problem that starts to really overshadow the good. Almost nothing in the last 3 episodes gets any room to breathe and it really drags the climax of the season down as a whole.

Hey I just realized we never find out what's up with this tiny person.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think we can all agree that beard jack is best jack

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Guy Mann posted:

I have my issues with the current ending but it's still better than letting a throw-away shot at the end of an episode 13 years ago dictate how the show should actually end. Blind adherence to The Canon above all else is storytelling poison, especially for something that for the overwhelming majority of its existence wasn't actually serialized in and meaningful way.

If that were true, like I said, why not ignore the Guardian entirely? Blind adherence is feeling the need to acknowledge it anyway even if doing so will just raise more questions than answers. It's not like Jack had to be in that junkyard to confront Aku, he could've just gone straight to the tower. The bit with the Guardian didn't contribute as much as many of the other cameos and references for that reason.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think they did that whole sequence of Jack finding out what happened to the Guardian's portal in order to make it look like they were going to set up a "Jack stays in the future" ending, at least until the sudden reveal that Ashi could send him back. And, well, it'd be kind of awkward if there was a lingering question about whether the one portal he was explicitly prophesied to use was still around or not, especially when this season was supposed to be the definitive ending to the series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jack went back to the past like he was supposed to and did the thing. I'm proud of him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wasn't the Guardian and the time portal in some weird secret underwater temple place?

drat Aku caused 50 years of climate change to drain a whole lake/sea area(and therefore destroy the worst type of temple).

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So... What was Jack's name?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So... What was Jack's name?

Oda Nobunaga

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vermin posted:

Oda Nobunaga

Nobunaga wasn't the son of an emperor, baka :rolleyes:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Realtalk if the rest of the season had been as good as the first three episodes people would be talking about Samurai Jack like it was motherfuckin' Breaking Bad.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Realtalk if the rest of the season had been as good as the first three episodes people would be talking about Samurai Jack like it was motherfuckin' Breaking Bad.

whats breaking bad

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Wasn't the Guardian and the time portal in some weird secret underwater temple place?

drat Aku caused 50 years of climate change to drain a whole lake/sea area(and therefore destroy the worst type of temple).

No, it wasn't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The future being unceremoniously wiped out still bothers me from a plot standpoint, but rewatching it, I can understand why it wouldn't matter to Jack, since in the one episode he has a crisis of conscience about the sisters only existing because of the entire future that exists as a result of his failure to defeat Aku.

Ashi continuing to exist until some random point still doesn't really make sense, but any time travel logic that doesn't involve split timelines is going to go to poo poo sooner or later.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They did some similar poo poo in Flash season 3 and chalked it up to a Ripple Effect, basically saying that any changes made via Time Travel wouldn't happen instantly, instead they would happen gradually.

But, Flash S3 was a mess so it doesn't do much to defend it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Sjs00 posted:

whats breaking bad

It's basically like the first three episodes of this season.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I never watched the original, but man was this season fun. I agree with the general consensus that the first half is amazing, then things go off the rails a little bit, and then we are given an ending that is satisfactory at best.

That said, it was really fun to watch, and the best parts were the ones with the least dialogue.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

1-3 are perfect. 4 is near-perfect. 5-7 are still really good, even if 7 is where the pacing issues really start to show.

8-10 are...are when the pacing becomes a gigantic problem that starts to really overshadow the good. Almost nothing in the last 3 episodes gets any room to breathe and it really drags the climax of the season down as a whole.

The thing that gets me is that Jack and Ashi suddenly being into each other never really served any purpose in the end, except her being able to drop dead at their wedding so Jack would be extra sad. The time they wasted having her clothes fall off and Jack being forced to awkwardly suck on her leg and whatever else could have easily been used to fix the pacing issues at the tail end of the show instead.

Mostly a good show, but needed to manage its time better in the final third. Even if they had to have romance, it could have been written (and more effectively) in much less screentime while other actual plot was going on, instead of stopping everything for "oops my clothes fell off."

Also the fact that ghost Scotsman never faced off against Blue Jack is an absolute crime. :colbert: But all total I'd probably still give the season a B+.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

I never watched the original, but man was this season fun. I agree with the general consensus that the first half is amazing, then things go off the rails a little bit, and then we are given an ending that is satisfactory at best.

That said, it was really fun to watch, and the best parts were the ones with the least dialogue.

You totally should watch the original if you get the chance. I'm not gonna deny that a fair few of them were obviously intended for kids first and foremost, but especially in the later seasons, the show got really ambitious and artsy.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Regalingualius posted:

You totally should watch the original if you get the chance. I'm not gonna deny that a fair few of them were obviously intended for kids first and foremost, but especially in the later seasons, the show got really ambitious and artsy.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Regalingualius posted:

There is an entire episode where Aku reads versions of fairy tales to a bunch of children with him as the star, in an attempt to get kids to stop liking Jack. It's pretty much a perfect episode.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

mushroom_spore posted:

Mostly a good show, but needed to manage its time better in the final third. Even if they had to have romance, it could have been written (and more effectively) in much less screentime while other actual plot was going on, instead of stopping everything for "oops my clothes fell off."

Clothes falling off has been a tradition of this show since its inception and it would be a crime for it to have stopped happening.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

There is an entire episode where Aku reads versions of fairy tales to a bunch of children with him as the star, in an attempt to get kids to stop liking Jack. It's pretty much a perfect episode.

Oh, I don't disagree at all! The humorous episodes were mostly pretty good, all told.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
If you like noir stories, Tale of X-49 is a great episode. What also was pretty great about the series was that each episode was fairly stand-alone, so you could just watch that one, and then another random one, and it would still make sense.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Which are the best original series episodes?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pick posted:

I like the one where he fights the shinobi. Also the Three Blind Archers one.

The one where Aku tells fairy tales is stupid fun. The "SAH-MOOO-RAIIII!" one is too.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Pick posted:

Season 1 Episode 7: Three Blind Archers.
Season 1 Episode 10: Jack and the Lava Monster (similar to the bloody wolf scene in terms of art style).
Season 1 Episode 11: Jack and the Scotsman.
Season 2 Episode 12: Jack and the Spartans.
Season 3 Episode 6: Jack and the Traveling Creatures (where the guardian appeared).
Season 3 Episode 13: Jack and the Labyrinth.
Season 4 Episode 1: Samurai Jack vs The Ninja.
Season 4 Episode 10: The Four Seasons of Death (won an Emmy).
Season 4 Episode 11: Tale of X9.

I mean honestly all seasons have a bunch of misses but also a bunch of really good ones too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Gynovore posted:

I like the one where he fights the shinobi.

This one for sure. It's an earlier version of the snow fight from this season and makes very clever use of the minimalist art style. I also admire the ticking clock element, wherein the longer the fight goes on, the more of a disadvantage Jack is at. Really superb stuff.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Dont forget the one with the bounty hunters where they spend the entire episode going on about how theyll kill jack only for jack to defeat them all as a drop of water falls from ceiling to floor

Also the one where he fights the haunted house demon had a really cool art style and also memorable sound design

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

This one for sure. It's an earlier version of the snow fight from this season and makes very clever use of the minimalist art style. I also admire the ticking clock element, wherein the longer the fight goes on, the more of a disadvantage Jack is at. Really superb stuff.

I remember 6 am a sleepless summer on a small town visiting family, being completely mesmerized by the shinobi fight, how it played off the outline-less colors and shapes, and how surreal the tower seems as the shadows shift around.

Also a bit contentious but i never really liked when the show repeated an action shot in smaller frames, especially when it was something kinda mundane, like jack throwibg his sword or w/e.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about the episode where Jack pilots the giant robot Samurai?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of sound design, Jack and the Rave is certainly worth checking out... even if the cameo from this season was the only really cringe-y one.

And if you want comedy, Jack vs. Aku (S4) is probably the greatest episode once it gets rolling.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jack in Egypt (vs the set minions)
The two parter where Scotsman saves jack ( and by extension the one where he goes to future scotland)
And the one where he gets infected by Aku.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of sound design, Jack and the Rave is certainly worth checking out... even if the cameo from this season was the only really cringe-y one.

And if you want comedy, Jack vs. Aku (S4) is probably the greatest episode once it gets rolling.

"AKUUUUU!"

"Yes, samurai. it is i, aku. How very observant of you"

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Subject change; here's a fascinating interview with Tartakovsky on his thoughts on making Season 5. I found it fascinating listening to it while knowing how the Season ultimately turned out :) .

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The episode where jack fights 9 wicker baskets was probably my favorite if only for the level of brutality displayed by the robots

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Birth of Evil was pretty great

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, finished up Samurai Jack. Still really kinda mad that's how it ended. I mean, good job and all. Amazing series, probably some of the best animation this year.

Just...that ending.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-8llqE6om4

I love this man.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently saw this video about Samurai Jack. Thought I should share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbEMYnqLvY

That guy has a lollow up video.

The Evolution and End of Samurai Jack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxLQOV-z2dM

Seems like an interesting take. Imo he maybe should also do a video that focuses on season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Am mad re: ending and want a spin-off of Ashi kicking rear end in the future.

• Locked thread