Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

AJ_Impy posted:

Question: If your people were attacked militarily, would you let them get wiped out to prove a point?

Absolutely. Though I pray it never comes to that, my Patient are expected to willingly sacrifice themselves to aggressors, and in so doing plant the seed of doubt in their minds. War is the child of a weak and immature mind, misled by passions and desires. Watching the Patient go nobly to their deaths, the aggressors will surely come to fear that they have done a great Wrong. In years or centuries, these seeds will form a veritable forest of objection to the cruelty of war, and my Patient will live again through their sacrifices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Having returned home and read through the thread, by the "Elf-Eater" were you referring to Asher and his having eaten every citizen of another god's people? Because that honestly fine with me. If the game starts with house elves an ex-species it'll give Burb'l plenty to be totally-not-sad about. I didn't really want them all over the world anyway, I imagined them heavily concentrated in Caspian and essentially mythical on the surface. If Asher eats all of them I can just make house elves strictly mythical on the surface and have Burb'l return to the Ghost City of Caspian every now and then to wander the perfectly preserved but totally empty streets and marvel at his abandoned cathedrals. I kind of like that better, honestly.

Or was Elf-Eater a reference to someone else in thread? I couldn't find anyone with points devoted to cooking elves so, i'm not really certain.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

KhediveRex posted:

Having returned home and read through the thread, by the "Elf-Eater" were you referring to Asher and his having eaten every citizen of another god's people? Because that honestly fine with me. If the game starts with house elves an ex-species it'll give Burb'l plenty to be totally-not-sad about. I didn't really want them all over the world anyway, I imagined them heavily concentrated in Caspian and essentially mythical on the surface. If Asher eats all of them I can just make house elves strictly mythical on the surface and have Burb'l return to the Ghost City of Caspian every now and then to wander the perfectly preserved but totally empty streets and marvel at his abandoned cathedrals. I kind of like that better, honestly.

Or was Elf-Eater a reference to someone else in thread? I couldn't find anyone with points devoted to cooking elves so, i'm not really certain.

That is indeed the reference. No-one is starting the game without at least some followers to call upon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Some really good apps in this thread!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Some really good apps in this thread!

I'm half-inclined to recruit a co-GM to fit more in. The temptation to go greedy and squeeze as many in as possible is strong.

Keep them coming!

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Well we can meet halfway. Maybe Asher ate every house elf on the surface which was like 80% of my civilization, and the only ones who survived are freaked out of their minds about it and holed up in Caspian. That's potentially a funny angle. Maybe house elves were common in most homes until one day they all just disappeared overnight, leaving no evidence of their departure except an occasional peice of viscera. People could wonder where they went and what compelled them to leave. Very old mortals could still be upset about it. "House elves! Damnable free loaders, the lot of them. Just when you think you can trust them, Boom! They all go scurrying back to their drat holes. Wish i'd never heard the name. Wish i'd never even heard the name..."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

AJ_Impy posted:

Kylia Chainbreaker: Generally looks good, not sure on the 'face in a crowd' hubris. Is it a flaw if it helps your modus operandi?

Swapped it out for a more "I'm gonna help you whether you want it or not" flaw. I thought about having a short temper but that would be a bit too straightforward/common among the whole classical hubris thing.

quote:

Question: What do you do if two evenly matched sides are each trying to oppress and subdue the other?

Well, I first try to reason with one or both that they should give more thought to their philosophy. Then if they're still going at it, well, its time to bring third parties into the mess while sabotaging the first two to keep either from getting the upper hand.

At some point someone with the moral highground will emerge, often but not always from climbing atop a hill of bodies.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I should mention I altered my app a bit this morning to just say Asher ate a race, not any one specifically. It dawned on me it was kind of a dick move in case somebody wanted actual elves around. However everybody wants to work it, I am fine with.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 8, 2017

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Commentary on applications so far:
Regulus: Needs the realm and followers.

Regulus is done, pending feedback and/or further questions.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Name?
Auer

Who are you?
They call me the "Muse of Misery" But I like to think of myself as more of an artist. People are the tool of my trade, their minds, their works, their everything. I help them make it something more, for a while. Nothing is eternal.

What are your strengths in support of that mandate?
+4 Emotions
The key to everything is the mortal soul. Believe me, I've tried everything else. If you find the right trigger you can do anything.

+2 Entropy
Nothing lasts forever, but some things last too long. I'm here to make sure nothing overstays its welcome.

+2 Favored By Mortals
I tend to have an impact on people. They remember me. Sometimes they help me with my little projects. I don't mind, it makes them happy.

What is your potential for hubris?
[-4] Misunderstood
Really, whats so hard to understand? I said "paint the sky on fire!" not "Summon a horde of dragons!"
Honestly, have these people never heard of a metaphor?

What is your favourite realm?

Oh I'm always going from place to place, but currently I just can't get enough of The Fields of Woe that was oh so recently conquered by their neighbors in a spectacular battle. I made them a volcano to celebrate.
It used to be called Woexethia, I think, but what with the carnage and destruction they changed it. I think the new name is much better anyway.

The people there are so amusing, running back and forth to save their lives and what remains of their history. So much for that "Eternal Kingdom"! Hah!
No, but seriously, nothing inspires people like a good catastrophe. Just wait until you see the first paintings, I have just the guy for it. He lost everything. It's going to be Awesome!

Who are your devoted followers there?
Mostly its the young that pay heed to me, those with no path yet set before them. They take the moment and really live it, you know? Yeah. Live it to the very edge.

What did you do?!
Everybody is always talking about Laws and Truths and Absolutes and whatnot, and frankly, it bores me! Like, there ain't no such thing really. When you get right down to it, truth is relative you know? Not even the grandest, most precise designs ever work out in the end.
Even the best sculpted material, be it flesh or stone will eventually decay. The only Beauty in the world is the ephemeral and the illogical. So sometimes I might have helped it along a teensy bit. For the sake of art.
Some grand work of one of my stupid siblings, all for their glorification? I'd see it riddled with graffiti, portraying a message of dissent. A grand temple, built to last the ages? A beautiful ruin, though the Architect was later hanged. Shame that, I liked his ruins.
Oh well. Art goes on, you know?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Regulus: Looks good.
Question: What of those who thrive and prosper on a chaotic, unpredictable path?

Auer: Looks good.

Question: What if one you 'inspire' sinks into despondency instead of creating art?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I had better start closing the gates. The deadline for expressing interest or making a start on a character is Saturday, 11th March.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Question: What if one you 'inspire' sinks into despondency instead of creating art?

Then let their sorrow be the inspiration for the great tragedies of the era. Let them stand as an example unto all others, becoming a Paragon of Sad.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Zara-Rakhni: Looks good.

Question: How much corruption and stagnation do you tolerate before bringing down a society?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Name?

I am Vaalystion, the Writer in the Shadows.

Who are you?
I am a lord of knowledge and magic. The laws of nature themselves write my ever-changing glyphs, and my glyphs change and influence these same laws. They are a source of power, and I their master and servant. With the glyphs, I can show mortals glimpses of profound truths about the nature of the universe, and give them power upon what they understood.

What is your Divine Mandate?
To advance knowledge and understanding of the universe, since only by knowing what can be done can then be clear what should be done. My glyphs are the best and only tool for this task, and so I hide and spread them, so that the worthy can try to understand and use them.

What are your strengths in support of that mandate? (8 points worth, PDQ style.)
+4 Glyph Magic
My glyphs are a source of power, and I am the one who gives them meaning and influence.
+2 Presages
My glyphs don't have a definite form, but information about them can be gleaned from the strange shape of a shadow, the weird curl of a plume of smoke, or the peculiar formation of a flock of birds, just to make a few examples. I can show these snippets of information, but it is up to the recipient of the message to understand it.
+2 Knowledge
There is great knowledge in the glyphs, and I am privy to it.

What is your potential for hubris? (4 points worth, PDQ style)
-2 Secretive
I can be overzealous in hiding myself and my gifts to those that I deem unworthy. Not many know of me and my glyphs, and I have no qualms with it. I risk of becoming forgotten, a whisper in the dark falling on deaf ears.
-2 Amoral
Only by knowing all that can be done can then be clear what should be done. There are no other rules, and if experimentation brings to some dark places it's still knowledge gained.

What is your favourite realm?
The marshes of Rak, unhospitable as they are, provide a near perfect place for studying.

Who are your devoted followers there?
Among the birdfolk, Ravens and Herons have a particular affinity for me and my teachings. In the marshes they have estabilished a place of worship and study. Those who live there are known as The Quill.

What did you do?!
Turns out that if other gods doom somebody to being eternally forgotten, they may have their good reasons to do so. But the Glyphs were already written, and it's not my fault that some very zealous disciples managed to piece out enough information to try to summon back their master, and botched the process, giving origin to a thing that has no right to exist and destroying a very sacred place. I mean, I guess that I could have stopped them, or thrown them on a false trail... but it was so interesting!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vaalystion: Looks good.

Question: How do you balance the need to advance knowledge and understanding, with the need to obscure it and keep it secret?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Question: How do you balance the need to advance knowledge and understanding, with the need to obscure it and keep it secret?

The key is in the glyphs. They are the key to all knowledge, and hints about them and their shape are everywhere, and I make sure that this continues to be the case. However, to properly understand even a single aspect of a glyph can be the work of years for a mortal. This ensures that only the most dedicated get access to their full power and the means to acquire it, and they tend not to share much with the masses. Moreover, glyphs are always changing, and using their power speeds up the change, since it modifies what they describe. This forces the adepts to continue studying, and prevents mass abuse of the power and knowledge of glyphs.
So, in short: knowledge is everywhere, but it takes work and dedition to achieve it, and those are rare.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've finalised some things and removed the "almost destroyed sibling" aspect from Daihamonten, hopefully bringing down the "what she did" aspect to something a bit more believable.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Daihamonten: Looks good.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I changed my "What did you do?!" section into something i'm hoping will be a little punchier and easier to work with. Let me know if the new stuff works. If you prefered the old I can of course change it back.

And would you be offended if we worked on in-character relationships in this thread while we wait for the eleventh? I'm tempted to write up a list of the sort of things Burb'l does for the other gods submitted and how he gets along with them. Really, i'm just impatient and itching to write but, i'd totally understand if you thought that would make the thread messier.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

AJ_Impy posted:

Wallastra: Looks good.

Question: What do you do with the citizens of the Free Cities who advocate for being more respectful of nature?

Wallastra gives a divine shrug

Honestly, I cannot enforce I mere dislike of something without going to extreme lengths. And sometimes, they make fair points. Several fishermen pointed out the over-fishing of the waters near Lyssa that would have been the end of the cities fishing industry, extra controls added will preserve our supplies. Over in Genua they had decided that in order to deal with the growing shortage of Lumber to plant two trees for every one they cut down, simple but elegant. And in Hansea the hunting lodges have been enforcing hunting seasons to ensure the population of woodland creatures are controlled.

Even on the outermost settlements of my realm, where isolated farmsteads and logging villages have recently been building small shrines to... There is a brief flicker of annoyance on the normally passive face of the god. My dearest sibling, I cannot in good conscience prevent them from doing so there is no actual law against it. Not as such.

As long as they do not interfere with my divine mandate I will allow them a certain degree of autonomy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AJ_Impy posted:

Zara-Rakhni: Looks good.

Question: How much corruption and stagnation do you tolerate before bringing down a society?

Well, that can vary. I may spare a civilization whose progress has stalled significantly, should they still create (and prove entertaining) enough. I have also empowered slaves and revolutionaries in societies I was quite fond of, which sometimes led to more damage than originally intended (though such upheavals are often beneficial in the long run). In truth, however, I rarely completely annihilate a civilization, particularly compared to some of my siblings; while some cities being lost, violent regime change, and widespread revolution can be necessary shocks to a system and set change in motion, completely destroying them renders them unable to do much of anything, and is usually reserved for more... Extreme circumstances.

I also rarely personally destroy them nowadays, actually. I used to show my divine wrath often, but I've come to prefer pushing mortals to act instead; they tend to build more momentum and get back to work faster when they've lit their own torches and set the fires themselves. (Though striking fear into some hearts does still have its place, and is admittedly still quite satisfying. It's just not always the right tool for a particular job.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

KhediveRex posted:

I changed my "What did you do?!" section into something i'm hoping will be a little punchier and easier to work with. Let me know if the new stuff works. If you prefered the old I can of course change it back.

And would you be offended if we worked on in-character relationships in this thread while we wait for the eleventh? I'm tempted to write up a list of the sort of things Burb'l does for the other gods submitted and how he gets along with them. Really, i'm just impatient and itching to write but, i'd totally understand if you thought that would make the thread messier.

Rebuilding ruined cities is an intriguing hobby, I dig.

This goes for Everyone: With the caveat that not every applicant can get in, I'm happy to allow speculative writing and potential relationship establishment. I'll be going more in-depth on this once the pantheon is finalised, as well as offering a couple of ways people can be involved even if they don't get in.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Regulus: Looks good.
Question: What of those who thrive and prosper on a chaotic, unpredictable path?

Mortals of that sort may thrive for a time, but they are always brought to heel, for the arc of the universe bends toward Order. Most often I need do nothing, for the mortals themselves create the circumstances of their own downfall. And then, for a great many of them, the circumstances of their afterlife disabuses them of the notion that they might have been able to avoid their preordained Fate.

If a god were to act in such a fashion, that would be far more troublesome, though they would also end up being restrained in the amount of "success" they could realize. Even if I, on my own, might face a challenge in returning the Cosmos to its proper functioning, surely the rest of my Family would know that such Chaos could not be abetted for long without their own positions being rendered too precarious for their liking. And no being in existence would be able to thwart the entirety of the Pantheon acting in concert.

TL;DR: Regulus is Right -- the very fabric of the Universe says so -- so of course his will is going to be done in the end, no matter what sort of resistance he faces in the interim. And the other gods of course know what is in their own self-interest, so Regulus has no doubt that they'd back him up, if push really comes to shove and the Order of the Divine Realms is threatened.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Split my +4 heroism skill in half to create a social skill so I'm not just :murder: :black101: and smashing things. She likes to help people!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

This goes for Everyone: With the caveat that not every applicant can get in, I'm happy to allow speculative writing and potential relationship establishment. I'll be going more in-depth on this once the pantheon is finalised, as well as offering a couple of ways people can be involved even if they don't get in.

Several folks seemed to be using Regulus (or at least his single-minded devotion to Order) as a foil to expand upon their own Mandates. To help flesh out these relationships further, I thought I'd offer a sentence or two detailing his thoughts on everyone in the Pantheon (in reverse order of their appearance):

Vaalystion: Intriguing...one who takes the inherent nature of the universe and attempts to understand it, manipulate it, and push its evolution forward, while still respecting the overall Scheme of Creation. This one will rise to greatness, I have no doubt.

Auer: Even if she would rail against the Order of the Cosmos with her words, she nevertheless plays the role appropriate to her Divine Mandate to oversee the endings of things.

Foltz the Patient: His people they follow his Rules, and they prosper. He consciously serves the Order, which is better than being driven along its path like a beast of burden.

Wallastra: Another deity whose domain expresses in microcosm the greatness of the Well-Regulated Cosmos.

Kylia Chainbreaker: How tedious — another one who arrogantly imagines she is heroically breaking the Rules of the Game, when all she is doing is resetting the pieces for the next phase of play. Still, she must be watched lest she go too far…

Marduk: Poor confused Marduk. The Gods are the Gods and the mortals… well, aren’t. All should know their place, especially one with wisdom of Divinity. The problems he causes, especially for the mortals he so dotes on, are unfortunate.

Oneiro (Elpis and Athumos): An interesting god, if a bit immature. It will be interesting to see how this one evolves and enacts their Mandate in the coming millennia.

Asher: A brute beast, even if divine. Fortunately it instinctively knows its place and its role. It and its mortals have been useful more than once to ensure that the Old was cast aside to allow the New to emerge. It has not always done so appropriately, alas; perhaps it would benefit from being introduced to a leash?

Burb’l: Who? Oh, yes, that’s right. It seems to be at least a bit confused as to what its Mandate entails. Though it claims to know its place, it seems hell-bent on holding back the evolution of the mortal peoples by focusing them on former glories rather than their promising futures.

Nasav-Utambe: Nature has its place, as do the realms of Man. The Order of things demands a balance of both. Nasav-Utambe is a good counterbalance to those who would encourage unfettered expansion for mortals beyond their appointed places. Though it must be watched, lest it go too far in its own interest.
My own Aningaaq have shown the way in this regard by living in harmony with their own beasts — and in fact, increasing the vitality and progress of their herds. If only both Nasav-Utambe and Wallastra would follow my lead in this regard, much conflict would be avoided!

Doom: Impertinece deified. This one needs to be stopped.

Zara-Rakhni: Helping the progress and evolution of mortal beings is a noble role; we get along quite well. It seems inordinately proud of its own pet mortals, though.

Daihaimonten: A cautionary tale for all the Patheon: every Divine Mandate must be taken seriously, and followed scrupulously. A recasting of this one’s Mandate was unfortunate but necessary. Perhaps in the future it will evolve into its new role more fully…?

Elama-Kasvuu: Mortals are designed to make more mortals. Her scope is narrow, but she fulfills her duties admirably in service to the overall Order.

Alysidor: As surely as Effect follows Cause, Alysidor and I complement one another in our respective Spheres. I have no quarrel with this one.

Lord Dal: While his fondness for Law would theoretically make us natural allies, the fact that he thinks he is the Truth above all Truths is willful ignorance. Especially when the senile old fool disagrees with me as to the direction that the Cosmos is heading. He needs to understand that the world, and the Gods themselves, have moved on. His time has passed and his Mantle should be passed to another (such as, say, myself...).

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 9, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Elama-Kasvuu's opinions of / relationships with other Potential Gods (all subject to change if it suits the game and its story better, of course, and also please note that all the people being called stupid are being insulted by the Goddess and not her player):

Lord Dal: Eh. Old and doddering. He's not a bad God to be related to, but he's arrogant and stubborn and his whole Decay thing is... irritating. If not for the fact that decayed bodies nourish the soil and nurture new life I'd want nothing to do with him. A prime example of why immortality must be watched carefully; it trends towards ossification.

Alysidor: Harsh and unyielding, but honestly I sort of like that about him. You know where you stand with Alysidor. If you're smart, "where you stand" is "out of his earshot."

Daihamonten: She irritates me so much. Obsessed with mortals, but failing to recognize that without me there wouldn't be any more mortals for her to hand out Consequences to. No, I am not angry about how some mortals - who are clearly just trying to curry favor - refer to her as the most beautiful of Gods, don't be ridiculous, those mortals are clearly stupid. Also impotent. Shut up.

Zara-Rakhni: I get along just fine with Zara-Rakhni, for their love of burning passion dovetails nicely with the passions I prefer to give to mortals. I will neither confirm nor deny a history of tempestuous affairs punctuated by angry breakups leading to a lineage of demigods wandering around some parts of the world. A lady never tells, darling.

Doom: who? Oh. Petty little godling, that one. "Oh, look at all the messes I can cause," pfft, whatever. Cause as many disasters as you like, there will still be life springing up in their wake. That one seriously needs to learn to get over it. Whatever it is.

Nasav-Utambe: Not all the mortals I provide fertility to are the two-legged variety, you know. I like Nasav-Utambe just fine, he's a simple being of simple tastes, and sometimes that's just what a girl wants, you know? No, no, I told you when we were discussing Zara-Rakhni - a lady doesn't tell.

Regulus: Oh goodness he's so dull. I dislike Regulus intensely. New life requires a bit of chaos - or else it's just a copy of the old life.

Burb'l: Who? Oh, the help. Yes, he's fine, whatever. No, don't give him too much praise, it will go to his head.

Asher: Dumb as a post. It's hard to respect him... but I manage it, in my fashion. Without Endings there are no new beginnings, no room for new life to grow. Parents die so children can take their place; crops are harvested that new seeds may grow. So Asher is someone I have to be... well, polite to, at least. It's just... he's about as subtle as a brick to the face, you know?

Oneiro: They're a fascinating pair. They should just mate and get it over with, though. Don't give me that "but they're siblings" nonsense, we're Gods, that sort of thing doesn't matter and you know it.

Marduk: And they say the siblings over there are in charge of dreams! No, here's the real dreamer. A world where the mortals no longer need the Gods! What poppycock. "Stop worshipping me you idiots" Oh sure, raze your own temples, that will surely get the message home. Why are so many members of my family so stupid?

Kylia: I'm vaguely fond of her, in all honesty. She keeps things from getting too dull, and watching her struggle against the more Orderly Gods is always funny. She has got to learn to do something with her hair, though; the whole Amazonian Warrior look is definitely appealing to a certain type of mate, but she could be doing so much better.

Wallastra: Booooooorrrrrrrrrrring. Civilization is nice and all, even if mortals will keep making more mortals just fine without it, but there's a difference between guiding the mortals and sublimating yourself within them.

Foltz: Eh. He's fine, I suppose. Utterly mad, mind you, but it's not like he imposes his madness on others. He just sits there and takes whatever you throw at him like a big dumb animal. As long as he doesn't try telling his followers to be celibate, I don't really have a problem with him. Or respect for him, but he doesn't seem to mind.

Auer: Annoying and self-centered; her head is firmly up her own posterior. But emotions are important when it comes to making more mortals, so she's not all bad. If she could be a little bit less "look how edgy I am" and more "life's short, let's bang" she'd be great.

Vaalystion: You notice how the mortals who cloister themselves in study and research tend to die alone and unloved? There's a reason for that, Vaalystion. Knowledge is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but for the love of all that's holy, encourage your followers to get out more, will you? Also, some of his followers were researching contraceptive magics and he refused to make them stop, so I had to have them killed. He was a little irked about that.

E: Looking back at these impressions I'm seeing Elama-Kasvuu's personality leaning a bit more in the direction of chaotic than orderly; it's not a conscious choice, though, just a reflection of the fact that lust and mating and having kids is just inherently messy, and new life is always different in some way from the life that spawned it. She's not a Chaos Goddess per se, but she leans that way just a bit, if that makes sense.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 9, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AJ_Impy posted:

The fiery humanoid paces through heaven, burning bright while lost in thought. As they muse on individual gods, their form coalesces into a solid-seeming one imitating their subject, but usually somewhat exaggerated or caricature-ish. And occasionally lacking important details, such as a face.

Lord Dal: Ah, our esteemed grandfather. The old man has great ideas he goes about in the most backwards way possible, but he made at least one thing right: Language. What a wonderful thing! Communication of ideas, of information, of love, of rage, of deep sorrow and boundless joy. It is even an art unto itself. Truly his greatest creation, excluding perhaps myself of course.

Nowadays, he seems content to confine himself to his own little project, puttering around his pet city, which is fine. He does an acceptable job there, even with his backwards approach to things, and it's better than having the crotchety old man trying to run everything like he used to.

Alysidor: ...And then we have this one. Where the old man set down the law, my dear brother sees fit to enforce it, and every other arbitrary rule imaginable, no matter where, what, or why. He seems to not realize that laws should serve a purpose, then discarded when no longer needed, and will enforce even the most archaic, pointless, and unnecessary of rules as if the universe depended on it. Foolishness.

...Also, I hate that cloak of his. I know that, when I used some of my essence to kindle the first soul, the flame immortal, I was giving it up, and thus those souls are not truly "mine". Nevertheless, that garment offends me in a deep, deep way. I swear, one day I will see that wretched cloth burn.

Elama-Kasvuu: My sister and I can agree on many things, have little to quarrel over, and get along quite well most of the time. The multiplication of humanity and other mortals is important, and some of her other creations have been most fascinating, even if she didn't intend to create them. That said, talking with her can sometimes be... Tedious. She is rather self-obsessed, and her understanding of art is so superficial. She does not care for deeper meanings, is uninterested in drama or tragedy, cannot see the splendor in mankind's struggles or the sublime beauty of failure, endings, and death. How does a goddess of lust so thoroughly lack a sense of romance?

Oh well. At least her endless desire for depictions of herself makes it easy for artists to find patronage.

Daihamonten: Our poor sister. So earnest, and so thoroughly unsuited for her new task. She did bring it on herself, though; while calamity is sometimes necessary, that was not quite the time for it, and caused so much trouble, so much waste. Her tale is an important reminder to man and god alike. Still, a shame, and she grows more bitter by the day.

"Doom": Our long lost brother! How I missed his music, though truthfully I remember little else of him. His time in the pit seems to have affected him quite deeply though; he seethes and simmers. He will certainly be interesting to watch, provided he doesn't get too mired in anger and pettiness. That would be most disappointing.

Nasav-Utambe: My dear brother does not seem too fond of me, unfortunately. A shame. You would think that man's thorough domination of nature would make him realize that they truly are the fittest and thus most deserving by his standards, but somehow, he doesn't see it that way.

Regulus: A complete slave to order, but at least he understands that it's for a purpose. He has guided the creation of some genuinely good things. He can be a bit boring to talk to, but also quite easy to mess with, which is sometimes amusing.

Burb'l: Our small sibling is so easily forgotten. It's unfortunate, as he actually does important work, far more interesting than the others give him credit for. He is far too passive and accepting, though, sorely lacking in ambition (beyond his little projects, which I greatly approve of) and almost eagerly accepts the abuses placed upon him. He needs some fire in his spirit.

Asher: Somewhere between a little brother and the family pet. A curious one. He can sometimes be interesting to be around, and his work is quite important; endings are just as important as beginnings, which he understands well. We have trained him so poorly, however; losing that race served no purpose but to fill his belly. It didn't even teach the mortals a useful lesson; "don't be where a hungry god-dog will devour you" is hardly something they can apply to their lives.

Oneiro: The young "twins", what an interesting pair. The emotions they instill in mortals drive them quite effectively, and dreams can be quite important. However, they can lead their followers to get too caught up in dreaming and fall into listlessness, depression, and addiction, which is a tragic waste.

Marduk: Mortals advancing beyond and no longer needing the gods. What a glorious idea! I suppose you could even consider that my own goal in a way; if mortals were to ever advance that far, then I must have done my job quite well. I don't think his means of achieving this end are the most effective, however; he is, ironically, too bound by his own ideology and doesn't pursue his goal as efficiently as he could. Pushing away his own followers seems like a poor way to get them to do what he wants, though I suppose it is a method of engendering resentment of the gods in them.

Kylia Chainbreaker: A kindred spirit, though she's a bit too concerned with the small picture in some ways. Nevertheless, she's quite entertaining to talk to, and she motivates her followers most admirably. Generally good for humanity, even if she sometimes fails to realize that order and tyranny aren't synonymous.

Wallastra: We're quite strong allies with similar, though not identical, goals. I've given mortals the tools and knowledge, and he has guided them in how to use them. Thus far, it has worked rather well. However, my brother here is far too controlling; he fails to see the value in letting things play out on their own and having mortals figure it out themselves sometimes, or the benefits that can be gained by instilling a little chaos in a system.

Foltz: Another ideologue, though a rather novel one this time. While peace is generally preferable, sometimes a good war can yield desirable outcomes in the long run, and the will to act, to fight, to continue existing is vital. There is value in some of his teachings, but all too often his followers are doomed to be naught but bit players, tragic examples to others who don't throw themselves upon the first sword that offers itself.

Auer: Ah, a fellow artist! Someone else who understands that destruction and creation are two sides of the same coin! Her work can be somewhat juvenile, however; she can sometimes be far too eager to destroy. She reminds me of a teenager in some ways, except she's a fellow divine.

Vaalystion: Knowledge is, of course, greatly important, and he has taught man many curious and valuable things. However, his attitude towards the nature of knowledge is ridiculous; he treats some things as secrets that should not be shared, that it should be hoarded and mankind guarded from it. Mortals should delve into all available secrets and drink deeply from the well of knowledge, and should one be overwhelmed by it or invite disaster, that is an important lesson in and of itself.

Huatanora: While many would expect us to not get along, ascribing too much to the reaction between water and fire, the truth is I quite like my sister. The seas are a strange and dangerous place for mortals, one they're not naturally suited for nor advanced enough yet to truly conquer, so a protector there is not unwarranted. She may be a bit overly fond of them, but better than the reverse in a guardian. She herself is also quite pleasant, though there is a melancholy to her. I believe she is lonely, isolated as she is.

Udar: He makes for an engaging, if someone single-minded conversational partner, and he understands that the old must be burnt away to make way for the new, that sometimes, you must stress test the progress society has made. And war is always a good inspiration for new art. That said, he can be a bit too into war for its own sake, which can stifle and prematurely end progress rather than clear the way for it.

Will probably add to these; energy started running out as I made progress down the list. And like the above post, everything stated here is the character's opinion, not mine, and I may have admittedly drawn the wrong conclusions from some apps.

Also, Dal aside, most here got referred to as if they're direct siblings, but depending on who gets in I imagine the reality will be a bit more complex than that; Zara's probably one of the older gods so they may be more of an aunt/uncle/whatever to most.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

E: Looking back at these impressions I'm seeing Elama-Kasvuu's personality leaning a bit more in the direction of chaotic than orderly; it's not a conscious choice, though, just a reflection of the fact that lust and mating and having kids is just inherently messy, and new life is always different in some way from the life that spawned it. She's not a Chaos Goddess per se, but she leans that way just a bit, if that makes sense.

Similarly, Zara tends to prefer freedom and is a somewhat chaotic being personally, but has no ideological dedication to chaos and is quite fine with order among their followers. Someone brought up SMT alignments in IRC yesterday, and by those Zara might lean somewhat Chaotic, but probably still falls firmly in Neutral, down to a perverse desire to see mortals rise against the gods. (Or, for another nerdy pseudo-alignment, in Magic terms Zara is Red and Blue, but Azaria, their Athens basically, would be Red-Blue-White and contains many qualities they find ideal in a civilization, even if they don't personally follow them.)

Also, to you in particular, sorry if Zara's impression of Elama is off; a lot of it was colored by your description of her "Beauty" power and the answer to the question you received, but reading her impressions above I may have read too much into that.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 11, 2017

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Auers Impressions

Lord Dal
I always had a soft-spot for Grandfather. He taught me how to break things, and that's almost always more interesting than putting them together.

Alysidor
Ugh, if he'd be any stiffer he'd be a corpse. He should relax a little, live a little more you know? His punishments can be quiet fascinating though, my playwrights can't get enough of them! I don't think he likes me much at all.

Elama-Kasvuu
Sister was always very focused on her work. To the detriment of everything else. Including her looks. What no I didn't say anything, that was the wind. Perhaps she should take a page from Alysidor and get out less.

Daihamonten
The mortals say we are twins, but I'll have you know I sprang fully formed from grandfathers left earlobe and she from his right; we couldn't be more distantly related! That said she is a girl after my own heart, there is always such amusing carnage to observe and inspire when she has passed by.

Zara-Rakhni
Oh fire! Our spheres cross much as our methods, but our goals never quiet match up. We'd be the best of friends if xir would ever actually show up when it was time for a gig, ugh. So infuriating.

Doom
Love his work. Really, the others give him a bad rap. My big brother has the best pranks and his music collection is to die for.

Nasav-Utambe
Nature makes some of the most beautiful vistas, but has trouble coming to terms with change. Thus we come at odds as much as we work together, but it's all in good fun, right?

Regulus
Never did I have a brother easier to tease, but he respects me so I try to ease up on him. Sometimes.

Burb'l.
If it wasn't for Burb'l cleaning up after one of my more, uh, expensive projects, I'm sure Regulus and Alysidor would have killed me by now. Well, tried to. It wouldn't have been pleasant is what I'm saying. I owe him a favour, but don't tell him I said that or he wont dare show up to clean up after my next mistake grand visionary spectacle. Yes. Good ol' Burb'l.

Asher
Who's a good boy? Is it Asher? Yes it is! Asher is a Good Dog.

Oneiro
Little brothersister needs to learn how to share, is all I'm saying. They still haven't returned my favorite singer!

Marduk
'Misguided' is an understatement, but very entertaining none the less.

Kylia Chainbreaker
If she was a hurricane, I'd be a hurricane chaser. Not even Doom makes quiet as hilarious a spectacle.

Wallastra
... *mumble mumble* might have accidentally destroyed one of his cities. (It was in the way.) I'm sorry! I said I was sorry!

Foltz
Here is one I cannot stand. Doing nothing is not the same as doing something, Foltz! At least.. bicker or something!
A life of peace makes no biography! Argh!

Vaalystion
The better (bestest?) bird-brother by far, Vaalystion always has something interesting to say. I try my best to listen, but sometimes even a Goddess can get distracted. His works can get a little, uh, esoteric for me. I like to experience art, not just think about it, you know?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A growing list of Burb'ls duties. Categorized by master. If you don't see your name, check back soon. I'll be updating to include everyone who posts a character before the eleventh.

Disclaimer: I chose to frame the following list of in-character opinions from the perspective of how it might feel for Burb'l to serve the other gods. As such I took some liberties describing the life styles, hobbies and living conditions of other players characters. But these should certainly not be interpretted as factual statements about your characters, or even my expectations for your characters. The fine details of how we all get along and what living together is like will doubtlessly get worked out later. This post is strictly a list of my first impressions of how Burb'ls working relationships may have developed.

Dal: Our manor's oldest master and, consequently, the arguable lord of the house. He's a very particular man, easy to displease. His brandy must be served to him in his chambers (and in a proper pewter snifter) sharply at sundown or he will become irate and not sleep that night. His room is the largest in our manor and, fortunately, it requires minimal maintenance aside from tending the sheets and fluffing the pillows. I've grudgingly learned to accept that he wishes for his room not to be well lit. To each their own I suppose.

Truthfully, though he certainly can be a difficult man, having learned his routines and idiosyncrasies we get along just fine now. On a handful of occasions he has actually invited me to share an evening's brandy with him. And I remember those occasions fondly. He's an excellent conversationalist with countless stories. We've
stayed up some nights through four or five rounds of brandy, just talking. Well... I spent much of those hours mostly listening but, that's beside the point.

Alysidor: Our manor's "Workaholic", so to speak. I see little of Alysidor in the common rooms, I'm better acquainted with the Master hunched over the desk in his office, working feverishly into the night on duties too various to name. In that way he reminds me of myself. I admire his work ethic. He does have quite a short temper though, prolonged exchanges tend to devolve into intimidating encounters. But he's not all bad.

His office is always immaculately kept. Monthly I clean the windows and carpets, little else needs attention. His paperwork collects in towers but I've accepted that he doesn't want me touching any of that. My cheif duty to Alysidor is checking up on his sleep. Two hours past midnight I discreetly check his bedroom to see if it's occupied. On the nights it isn't, (most nights), I brew a pitcher of divine coffee and bring it to him in his office. For which he seems to be appreciative. He takes his coffee black but insists on a small vial of creme and two cubes of sugar being presented with the pitcher. Who am I to judge?

Elama-Kasvuu: Clothing! Clothing everywhere! Covering the ground, hanging from lamps, not all of it hers. None of it seems to wrinkle, tarnish or stain fortunately. If only the same could be said of the bed. I change her linens twice weekly and the mattress itself every two weeks. Sometimes more frequently, when it's requested. Two hours past noon I do a quick round in her chambers to hang abandoned clothes and straighten anything that got knocked over the night before. Occasionally the desk needs reordering. And it is of course a constant struggle keeping her make up inside the make-up box and not in a heap on every chest high surface of the room. But, not all tenants are easy tenants.

She and I get along as well as is necessary. We talk very minimally but she seems to enjoy when I call her Mistress. She requests comparatively little of me though it is infrequently my responsibility to bring her a cigarette in the morning. Typically on the departure of a guest. I don't ask. On nights she spends outside the manor (a fair number more than most dieties), I've taken to burning incense in her room. It helps to cut what can become quite a pungent odor.

Daihamonten : More than other tenants she is truly a wild card. I've discovered her chambers in ruins just as often as I've found them immaculate. What she needs seems to change with the weather, sometimes requesting food and wine in excess, sometimes begging merely to be left alone. These fits do not last long fortunately. And when she is in good spirits, I do speak with her more frequently than many of the dieties. We have some common ground on the subject of duty and devotion to duty.

She's sad though. And I believe anyone with eyes can tell. I can hardly blame her, I can't imagine the ignominy of failing ones mandate. It's a tremendously painful thing to imagine. I shudder to think what it must be like to live through. I wish dearly our powers could be used directly on our fellow gods. She is so like a tarnished silver goblet. Beautiful, forlorn, imperfect. The tiniest bit of polishing would see her shine. I hope dearly she has the opportunity to one day.

Zara-Rakhni: I honestly feel that Zara resents my constancy on his behalf. Early in our relationship he would sit me down in his chambers and ask countless leading questions about why I served the pantheon as I do and what other "great things" I dreamed of doing. I was never able to answer these questions to his satisfaction; I believe he would have been satisfied only to hear that I was packing my bags and would never weild another rag or mop again. In time these interviews became less frequent, until they stopped entirely. Now I suspect he occupies his time inventing new messes to try my patience.

His room is an organized chaos. It is filled seemingly at random with easels and organs, modern mortal scripts, strange metal engines and, to my especial frustration, hookahs. I keep his chambers well aired but it does nothing for the char marks in the carpet. Why it is necessary to light open flames to paint, or how that paint invariably ends up on the vaulted ceilings, I will never understand. But, to his credit he does keep a cheery disposition and his presence can be quite enlivening. I wish we got along better. I can see the value of his company, even though he has ill regard for traditions and routines.

Doom: Doom is a recent addition to the Manor, though it's hard to call him a tenant. I've seen him two or three times in as many decades and he has never spent the night. He has chambers, sure. They were his from before the incident, vacated long before I acquired my post. But he won't be persuaded to re-occupy them. And believe me that I have tried to repair his relationship with the tenants of the house, to no avail. He is another figure I wish dearly I could use my powers on directly. I know exactly what he's going through, neglected for so long.

He is an enigmatic figure to me, but one can't dust his former quarters very long without noticing the kaleidoscope of exotic instruments. Many of them resemble the feverish carvings of an evil prophet more than tools for the production of music but, I'm certain once long ago he would make them all sing. Oh, it would be so nice to have a musician under the roof. I will continue to attempt to make a friend of Doom. I trust fully that a true friend is all he really needs.

Nasav-Utambe: Master Nasav is far from a disorganized man, but he certainly subscribes to a different esthetic. His chambers are wild and intimidating, routine cleaning often feels like an expedition. He keeps whole eco systems in their. And it can be hard to discern what he wants cleaned or how clean he wants it. As a general practise I try to "trim" more than "sanitize". He seems to appreciate a thin layer of grime. To each their own.

I encounter Master Nasav stalking the grounds much more frequently than the common rooms. When he does call on my services it is typically for simple things, a pitcher of water or to light the fireplace. He's a respectful sort though I honestly know him very little. He goes on holiday from the manor sometimes spending immeasurably long stalking the forests of the mortal world. During these prolonged absences I do my best to leave care-packages in the woods I suspect he will travel through. Nothing very important, fresh roasted mushrooms wrapped in leather, nail files for his claws, clippings from the various plants littering his room. I don't know if he appreciates these gifts or even receives them, we've never talked about it. But I like to know he's well taken care of out there. The wilderness can be quite unforgiving.

Regulus: I'm most familiar with Regulus stalking the common rooms. More so than the other gods he seems wildly preoccupied with ... well, the other gods. When the other tenants take guests, Regulus will be somewhere on the ground floor to meet them. When the other tenants leave for the mortal world Regulus watches and keeps note. When I first took on my post with the manor Regulus was palpably suspicious of me, never wanting me to enter his room to clean it. When he began to accept that my presence in the manor was permanent, and that the others actually enjoyed my services, he unsubtly requested I keep tabs on some of the more troublesome tenants and be sure to let him know if anything, (anything at all!) should merit his attention. I never outright refused to spy on his behalf, but my reports never came and our relationship has been somewhat cold ever since.

I truly believe he has the best intentions, if a slightly abrasive way of making his presence known. He deeply cares about the harmony and wholesomeness of our family circle, as evidenced by his constant delivery of advice. Strangely enough my duties to him often include rearranging the Manor. "Burb'l, the placement of this ottoman is an accident waiting to happen. Burb'l I have devised a brilliant new way to organize our pantry. Burb'l why have we put the sun room beside the patio? Surely our guests can already enjoy the sun while they're on the patio." So on and so forth. Accomidating his newest notions and solving his latest frustration is actually good fun. All of a person's faculties need exercising from time to time, Regulus makes me flex my esthetic and organization muscles. And I appreciate him for that.

Asher: Ah, the family hound! Can anything compare to the warm companionship of a loyal dog? Don't get me wrong, we had our squabbles at first. Grooming was a particularly delicate question but we ended up settling on a common ground. Asher can wear as much viscera as he wants outside so long as he wipes his paws when he comes in and doesn't lay on the divan, the loveseat or anything upholstered. He also can't bring any of his kills indoors, no matter how proud he is of them. And because hes a good boy and follows these rules, he gets treats and affections from the whole home.

It is of course my duty to serve but, dogs have very simple needs. I cook his meals seperately from the rest of the home, although cook may be the wrong word. He tends to prefer his meals bloody. I used to repair his toys but it seemed to upset him and he would just destroy the toys with greater severity upon discovering they were restored. I can say honestly, I have very few responsibilities to Asher. And in some ways that is very refreshing. Many nights I will sit in the common room after everyone else has gone to bed, pat his head and tell him about my day. And he listens. I cherish those evenings.

Oniero: It can be difficult to understand the young master and mistress. The youngest of our family by far they are positively bursting with youthful energy, juvenile innocence and a child-like sense of wonder... I'm certain I was never that young. When they play imaginary games I'm ussually left to clean the very real messes that result. One hesitates to tell them to control their very vivid imaginations but, when they play "The Floor Is Made of Lava", the restoration required can be quite extensive. And I do wish they would put their drugs away. I never know whats safe to handle when I'm cleaning their room, thick gloves are definitely reccomended.

To their merit though they are very sweet children. They keep their mess mostly contained to their room, they are very punctual with their bedtimes and they treat the other members of the manor respectfully. We are unlikely to become "bestest friends", but they have each other for that. And truthfully, I'm very happy they both have the other to play with. They're both blossoming in each other's company and one day, they will be truely great dieties. It's an honor to watch the young master and mistress grow.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 11, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A note of caution: Where and how each god abides is firmly and entirely within their demesne, thus they have the final say as to the apportionment of their part of the heavenly realm.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Also, to you in particular, sorry if Zara's impression of Elama is off; a lot of it was colored by your description of her "Beauty" power and the answer to the question you received, but reading her impressions above I may have read too much into that.

No, no, that's excellent! What Elama-Kasvuu thinks of herself is never going to be the same as what others think of her, and I like it that way; it makes sense that that's the aspect of her that he would focus on. Nothing to be sorry about a'tall!

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Vaalystion's notes:

Lord Dal
I am a little uncomfortable with his Truth. I can't conciliate something so absolute with the shifting nature of my glyphs. His decay, on the other hand, means that there's always something new to study.

Alysidor
He places too much weight on words that have no power, and in doing so gives them power. Interesting conundrum.

Elama-Kasvuu
She's a necessary evil, I guess... Mortals do have to propagate themselves, but I get the impression that if it was for her, they would only mate and praise her beauty.

Daihamonten
Consequence is the root of all the laws of nature from which my glyphs spring, so I have nothing but respect for her and her new office.

Zara-Rakhni
We both give knowledge to mortals, with the difference that I make them work for it. Apparently, this makes me stingy and afraid of consequences. I say better that than wasting knowledge in the form of ephipanies that will be cast aside as easily as they are received. And no, manic obsession does not qualify as disciplined work. As for the consequences, I am fine with everything, as long as who put events in motion understood what would happen, what I don't like is people having no idea or expectation of what will happen. Come on, that's just shoddy procedure.

Doom
He can try and burn this world for all that I care, new glyphs will be written by the same flames he stokes.

Nasav-Utambe
Meh. Not a great conversationalist, but his beasts make for wonderful presagies, since they only know the laws of nature.

Regulus
He's under the impression that I have the same respect for rules that he has, but all I do is acknowledge their existence. They're useful tools with no reason to be changed willy-nilly, not walls to close ourselves into.

Burb'l.
I love to chat with him, he knows a lot about forgotten things that I can try to spread. He also remembers about my failed projects, so that's useful. The only problem is that his Restoration power plays havoc with my glyphs. The things he restores are this tangled mass of is, was, should-have-been-but-isn't, shouldn't-have-been-and-yet-is and many other descriptors and verbal tenses, and the glyphs they influence become absolute gibberish. He's a great guy, though.

Asher
What ends must be replaced, giving birth to new glyphs and new knowledge, so he at least keeps things interesting.

Oneiro
I am fond of the two little scamps. Their dreams can give flashes of great truth, and I have enlisted their help from time to time. Plus, their bickering is great entertainment.

Marduk
He is... misguided, I feel. And again, as interesting as things will get, giving mortals power and understanding without making them work for it tends to lead to the sort of consequences that the other gods will then complain about.

Kylia
I feel that the strong are usually the strong for a reason. If somebody works hard to achieve power to rule over others, it's disrespectful to take away his accomplishments with a sweep of our godly hands.

Wallastra
Civilization goes hand in hand with study and enlightenment, but his cities make it a litle bit harder to send presagies. Nothing that a creative mind can't solve, but still I feel like he's a bit too rigid in his structure.

Foltz
Passively accepting things as they are means no effort to try and understand them. I could write a glyph in flames in the sky and his people would think that the weather is being weird.

Auer
My little bird sister. I approve of how she just nudges mortals with inspiration, and is up to them to actualize it. I've also hidden countless glyphs in the works of her most dedicated artists, as a reward for hard work well done. She's also willing to listen to my ramblings when I want to talk shop. She usually doesn't make it to the end, but it's nice nonetheless.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 9, 2017

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Lord Dal
I do not think you think about me, but I am at your side.

Alysidor
I still bear your scars. I do not blame you, but do not think I am broken.

Elama-Kasvuu
I wish I could kill you so I could stop loving you.

Daihamonten
Nothing more will be taken from you. I swear it.

Zara-Rakhni
You and Elama conspire to torment me, I know it. You set a flame in my mind that will not die.

Doom
You were not forgotten. I chose never to let you out.

Nasav-Utambe
We understand one another. What more need be said?

Make the wolves bigger.

Regulus
Doom is the only thing we have in common, but it is enough.

Burb'l.
Friend.

Oneiro
You confuse me. But two head pats are better than one.

Marduk
I sometimes think you force my hand on purpose when you grow especially sick of your devotees.

Kylia Chainbreaker
I have no quarrel with you. I interfere because I must, not because I choose.

Wallastra
How do you tolerate the noise? How do you tolerate existence? I do as you say only out of pity.

Foltz
You are useless. You refuse to protect anything. Your philosophy will only win out by the fact that once all life has ended, peace is the only option.

Auer
When the universe ends, I will be glad to be at your side.

Vaalystion
I have hunted your glyphs in the past, out of curiosity. They tasted terrible.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

AJ_Impy posted:

A note of caution: Where and how each god abides is firmly and entirely within their demesne, thus they have the final say as to the apportionment of their part of the heavenly realm.

Oh, I wouldn't dream of removing another players agency. The things i'm writing about the other gods are really mostly for my own amusement and to get conversations started.

I added a fancy disclaimer to my post. More gods to come later tonight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shardix posted:

Elama-Kasvuu
I wish I could kill you so I could stop loving you.

Elama-Kasvuu: "See, now this guy gets me."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Lord Dal
We like granpa, though he is a bit grumpy
I think he's a bit of a downer, decay this and darkness that. He should lighten up a little!
He has some really neat toys though, have you seen Dalland?
Maybe he'll let us play with it someday.

Alysidor
Now here is someone who should lighten up a little.
I have to agree with you on this one brother. Alysidor is... well a bit boring. I mean he's not the worst uncle but he is so drat literal all the time. No imagination in this one.
Except for his punishments, those can be neat from time to time.

Elama-Kasvuu
Oh aunt Vuvuu? I like her, there is something positive about her, something bright and future facing. Her views on our relationship though are a bit...
Weird.
Half the time I can't even stand Elpis, why would I want to...
Ugh, don't even finish that sentence.

Daihamonten
We rather like aunt Daihamonten, she is delightfully unpredictable turning lives from
hope to
despair
in one swift motion!

Zara-Rakhni
Now here's someone we love. Sometimes we even wonder if they are our parent.
Or wish they were.
How dull this world would be without passion
You know, if I had to pick a mate...
Ew, gross. We just said we think they might be our parent.

Doom
Uncle Doom is a bit of a weirdo.
A cool weirdo. He came outta nowhere and just did his thing and I have to say I like it. Keeps thing moving.
Also we like his music.

Nasav-Utambe
One of our stranger relative. We don't really like his plan. Animal dreams are fun for a while but drat, they are bad at abstract concepts.
Which is kinda what we both are
Whoah, mind. Blown.

Regulus
BOOOORIIIING

Burb'l
Who ?
Oh Bubbly!
Bubbly's cool but he should really relax a little. He knows some neat secrets though.

Asher
Good doggy.
Dangerous doggy...

Oneiro
The greatest and bestest.
When Athumos doesn't mess it up again
Hey, I heard that!

Marduk
We're conflicted on our brother Marduk.
On the one hand he gave the mortals free will, the world would be boring without it.
On the other he tries to stop our power over them.
And we don't like people who take our toys away.

Kylia
Aunt Kylia is cool, getting people to fight for their dreams.
A bit too positive for my taste. Then again for each victor there has to be a vanquished.

Wallastra
More cities means more playgrounds for us.
Also someone has to replace the ones that we inevitably end up breaking.
Yeah that too.

Foltz
He's almost as boring as Regulus !

Auer
You remember what you were saying about aunt Zara?
Aunt Auer? I mean I she gets the power of emotions but she's not called the Muse of Misery for nothing.
What's so bad about a bit of misery?
Oh brother, I just don't understand you.

Vaalystion
Bah, learning stuff? What is this, school?

Huatanora
Do fish actually feel hope ?
Or despair ?
We do not know.

Udar
War and conflict are a constant source and cause of hope and despair. It's almost as good as drugs ! Also without Udar we'd never have been able to play with Tel Shirath.

Trying some new stuff to differentiate Oneiro's incarnations. Do tell if it is too annoying to read. Also I am an idiot and gave the color of hope to Athumos :sigh: Too much work to redo this all but I'll reverse it next time.

Edit: drat, in my preview the icons lined up perfectly, gonna have to tune the size I guess.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 11, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Lord Dal's 100% Truthful Opinions of Truth

Alysidor: This one deserves the title Ad Litteram. More than any others, this child has spoke my Truth, yet repeats with the words without meaning. For one so willing to dish out punishment, he does not take it well. A precocious brat. I correct him.

Elama-Kasvuu: This one deserves the title Invidentia. A little known Truth, but this granddaughter of mine is a spoiled brat. The reason I put up with her constant vying for attention is the seldom Truth she sometimes grasps in trying. An endless diva. I challenge her.

Daihamonten: This one deserves the title Malleus. It is because of her willingness to be shaped by the Truth, to transmit it through her deeds. Willing, yes. Able, no. Her title is also because she's dense enough to need a good smack on the head. A rich idiot. I teach her.

Zara-Rakhni: This one deserves the title Ignis Ducta. This child does an admirable job of lighting the darkness to unveil Truth, more orderly than most that would claim that title. However, some ideas provided go beyond Truth, beyond the Way. If there is such thing as a light that burns too bright, then Zara is it. One day, I fear, she'll burn herself out. A pitiable kid. I protect her.

Doom: This one deserves the title Querulus. I do not mind his tantrums, so long as they do not bother me. He'll cry himself to sleep eventually. More than anything else, his inclination for discord can help others in finding the Truth. A screaming toddler. I remind him.

Nasav-Utambe: This one deserves the title Rex. If Alysidor is the greatest mouth of my Truth, and Daihamonten the greatest ear, then Nasav-Utambe is the greatest hand. His very disdain for rulership is what makes him, in my eyes, currently the best suited to take over should I ever pass. If only he could get along with more mortals. A difficult heir. I temper him.

Regulus: This one deserves the title Ardalio. Without Truth that would make him right, he still seeks to insert himself into everyone's divine business. He shares a lot in common with Elama-Kasvuu, in that he grows easily jealous if not involved. Nevermind his not-so-subtle hints that it is he who should take over should I ever pass. If only he would try to improve himself before improving others. A constant annoyance. I deny him.

Bubbles: A title? No. It's strange, but I cannot seem to remember my dealings with this child. I cannot even remember if he is my child. Nonetheless, I feel fond of him. Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Bimples, fetch me The Book, I must record a title for you. Ah, this is the sixth time this millennium? Strange. What do you think, Booboo? A reliable servant. I like ...who are we talking about, again?

Asher: This one deserves the title Canis Simplex. One would think him jealous like Elama-Kasvuu, but even that would be too complex a label. It is more Truthful to say that the dog is as he is, will never be more than he is, and hates the very idea. Thus he turns outwards, to adornments that let him pretend. Still, he is a good companion to my other children. A glory hound. I use him.

Oneiro; Elpis & Athumos: These ones deserve the title Supervacuus Ludus. Like myself, they have a fondness for mortals. Yet, they lack a purpose in their play. To be young and carefree again, they remind me so much of myself before the family. I hope they can grow into more meaningful deities, perhaps separating from one another, but they would need to be desperate before that happens. Two growing pains. I show them.

Marduk: This one deserves the title Suum Cuique. Not to imply Marduk meddles as though Regulus, but rather that he lacks awareness. He does not realize that it is the Truth of mortals to decay. If Onerio regards mortals as play without purpose, then Marduk regards them as purpose without play. He'll reap what he sows and, unlike with Zara-Rakhni, I'm not willing to protect him. He's bound himself more than Alysidor could. A backwards failure. I release him.

Kylia Chainbreaker: This one deserves the title Potentia. Kylia, I think, holds the best mind to receive my Truth, even if she does not seek it. Though she is far behind Nasav-Utambe in ability to rule, she could seize the title of Regina with a hard effort. Though she denies it, she is like the tyrants she topples, but should not the Truth be tyrannical? An unawares teen. I guide her.

Wallastra: This one deserves the title Probabiliter Probabilis. Like Kylia, he could rule. With Kylia, he would rule. It is not a mind for Truth that gives him the power, but the cosmic Truth that his way and my Way lead to similar ends. Though he'd never intentionally introduce decay and darkness as I would, I guarantee he'll have them after all is done. A lucky fool. I humor him.

Foltz: This one deserves the title Stultus Sapidus. Somehow Foltz has managed to fully understand much Truth, yet totally misapply it. That takes a special brand of idiocy. I doubt if he will ever abandon his devotion to peace that keeps him apart from everyone else. It's not as if his not trying to fight, means he isn't. The sooner he realizes it, the sooner he will truly adapt. A fragile hippy. I taunt him.

Auer: This one deserves the title Miser. No, I'm not going to explain this one. A frustrating clinger. I warn her.

Vaalystion: This one deserves the title Obtuse. He is most motivated to find my Truth, even if he labels it differently. Compare to Daihamonten, who passively accepts my Truth as it comes. He does things in the most round-about way, but I suppose he comes to right answer in the end. I find his desire to keep Truth away from others to be contemptible, however. A stubborn nerd. I humble him.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Alysidor's judgments

Dal: On his word rests the law of gods, and on his word I punish, for unlike the laws of men, the laws of gods bind innately and without oath. Then he is The Fulcrum, on which all things True rest upon. However, he has grown lazy and withdrawn, worn in his old age. But this matters to me not. I will make his word be heard in his stead. And all will hear.

He is to be revered.

Elama-Kasvuu: Despite her unassuming nature, none have inspired more broken vows than her. An agent of idle chaos with a more presentable face. I resent her existence, yet it must be allowed for mortals to exist. And so it must be: as long as the mortals know the whispers of The Temptress, so shall they know my flail.

She is to be tolerated.

Daihamonten: The mistress of judgments brought low, now merely a peddler of arbitrary fates. There is no rhyme or reason in luck, no lesson for mortals to heed. Then she is The Sundered, her entire existence rendered pointless, her purpose ground into nothingness. At least then is her influence merely irrelevant instead of truly destructive. She can be.

She is to be pitied.

Zara-Rakhni: Fire claims freedom. It claims passion, and art, and inspiration. Yet it is nothing but a destructive force of pointless endeavor unless it be chained by torch or brazier or empty valleys; in itself it is fickle and without meaning. A child that thinks itself free but only has purpose in the bounds set for it, yet claims itself in their opposition. Then is she The Leech, for she is nothing without the works of others that fuel her outbursts. And just like fire must be shown its place lest it think itself the master, just like a leech that must be yanked off before bleeding dry its host, so must she be reminded of her place on occasion. In such matters I shall perform.

She is to be kept in chains always.

Doom: The Criminal. He has escaped his chains before. He will not succeed another time.

He is to be punished.

Nasav-Utambe: It is he who chains mankind as a whole, and keeps them in their proper place, but does not interact with them otherwise. Then is he The Wall, of no interest to me lest it be in the process of crashing down.

He is to be kept an eye on.

Regulus: It is he who keeps watch on the small things. It is he who makes reality run smoothly. A thankless task, yet one that must be done. He is The Janitor then, for he smooths out the kink and inconsistency. Without them no Truth or Oath can hold, and thus I am thankful for his efforts.

He is to be duly respected.

Burb'l': He is The Servant, a title he has taken by his own accord. A creature that has seen it fit to chain itself to the Pantheon. I have no complaint to lodge due to its servitude.

He is to be shown the proper way to prepare my preferred coffee blend.

Asher: The Beast. The Bloodhound. A base animal is it, and deserves not the respect or recognition of gods or men. Should it fail to cull its rabid ravings, it shall be put down like the animal it is. In civilization it has no place.

It is to be leashed.

Oneiro; Elpis & Athumos: The two young siblings. Convinced that there is meaning in pulling a chain in two opposite directions. Yet there is not. Thus are they The Mad, squabbling together as a single, broken mind might, achieving nothing, except in their madness on occasion inspiring mortals to the same. The madness of foolishness and overconfidence. But madness is no excuse. Nor is being a foolish child. Broken words must be punished all the same.

They are to be chastised.

Marduk: The endlessly trashing tantrum, self-destructive and childish. Then is he The Petulant, for no other word quite describes his constant outbursts. Thinks the gods unworthy, yet places himself above his peers, for all he does is destroy and break their works indiscriminately. He must be shown his folly.

He is to be taught his place.

Kylia Chainbreaker: A strange one. She sees point in pointlessness, strength in the weak, and in what is she sees what shouldn't be, thus is she The Enigma. A force of change without a purpose. How she sees nobility in this I do not know. Nevertheless, she must be taught that chains that bind are placed for a reason. By force, if she otherwise fails to heed.

She is to be contained.

Wallastra: The micromanaging despot. He who thinks himself kind and forgiving, yet punishes all who do not work to his ends. Thus is he The Tyrant, though he hides behind a smile. But this is mere observation, the fates of mortals do not move me so. His law is still the law of the gods, and I enforce its bindings on all that it touches.

He is to be cooperated with.

Foltz: He refuses to fight when struck, and calls this strength. But The Coward is all he is. Yet even a coward can adhere to a code of cowardliness, as do his followers. And they do this particularly well, only rarely do they feel the rake of Castigation over their skin and soul. Thus I do not mind them for their craven ways, for being craven matters not to me in itself.

He is to be ignored.

Auer: She reigns over emotion, the most fickle, destructive and inscrutable of the mortal mind's facets, and the ones that often lead them astray. She thinks that words spoken in riddles are of more value than those that are not. And she claims the end, when there is nothing but dust, as her own. Then is she The Fog, the mistress of the ephemeral. But the fog does not chain, it merely obscures. And when the fog is lifted, it can be seen that she reigns over nothing concrete, her domains lacking substance and being the lack of substance. Easily dispersed if she ever gets in the way.

She is to be powered through.

Vaalystion: Magic is the words that bind reality to the service of man. He stands as evidence that words have power, and then is he The Proof. Other than these idle observations, I have no interest in his scholars, for being secretive is not in its own worth punishment. Only when they turn traitorous do I interject.

He is to be held as an example.

Huatanora: She guards the earths and the heavens from the forgotten dwellers beneath. Then is she The Shield, and her contribution is not to be slighted or taken for granted, for without her it would with little doubt fall on me to chain the foul things to the bottom of the endless depths.

She is to be thanked.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

's Opinions

Lord Dal
If i roll my eyes any harder, i might strain them. I still think he's salty about me awakening mortals to sentience.
Eventually, once mortalkind have broken the chains of mortality and flesh, he will be made... irrelevant.

Alysidor, the chainsmith
My oldest brother. I do not... hate him, per se, for he is my brother(?), but any friendship he might have had is long past. For one thing, however, i must thank him: he showed me how liberation from chains is not enough, how it must be liberations from flesh as well. The world was young, still, and it was shortly after i had given sentience and will to mortal beings. A being - man and women did not yet exist - had stepped outside of its role and broken some inane commandment of his, and he had had it caught, and the being had been put in chains, the very first. I broke them, but alysidor simply punished the being then, with his flail instead. In that being's pain and suffering, as blood dripped from his flesh, I saw the truth, that flesh, too, is a prison and an injustice. In that moment, i decided that divinity was the only true freedom, and such, must be brought to all mortals.

Elama-Kasvuu
Ah, my (mother? sister?). I have nothing against her. While the baser lusts may... distract from the sort of elevations all mortals deserve, desire itself is the basis for seeking liberation, and for seeking power! Who am i to tell mortalkind what they should desire?

Daihamonten
I pitty my sister, whose sphere was taken from her. I argued against it, but i did no have... Sway, with the rest of my family. I dislike her mandate and what she does, for mortals should not suffer at arbitrary winds of fate, and i sadden that her ages-long punishment has turned her bitter towards the mortals she 'administrate'. But she did not choose to have her mandate taken from her, so i can hardly blane her, even as i empower mortals to endure her.

Zara-Rakhni
I gave mortals the insight to understand, to awaken their souls to divinity, the will to master the world around them and break their chains. Zara, my friend and ally, gave them the drive, urge, passion and determination that makes them worthy of that freedom. Not to mention that one of their chosen, Ilina, has inspired countless mortals to seek divinity themselves, and shown the resolve of mortality. I only wish she had been self-empowered, and not chosen. Oh well; her acomplishments remain her own.

Doom
His imprisonment was unjust, but his petty rage cannot be allowed to threathen the world. I pitty him, and if he would stand against the others in his rage, i may even help him. But mortals cannot suffer his wrath, and they should not. If he is too.... /petty/ to aim at those responsible, if he wants to take out his rage on the undeserving, I will stop him, even if i sympathize with him.

Nasav-Utambe
I awakened humanity for them to take the world, as is their right. Barbarism and savery is fine; If humans wish to be violent, i will not judge their desires, nor their drives. But the beasts, those unawakened, those who cannot see their chains, strive for liberation beyond flesh? They are for mortalkind to command. I thank Nasav for the blessings given, but if he must be stopped, he will be.

Regulus

Ha! To believe in 'order' and 'nature' in a world where mortalkind have free will, drives, and passion. He sees all things as set in stone, but they are not; Mortal natures and mortal hearts are not stone, caved in one shape in which they must stay. They are embers, leaping which way they wish, and they will become a blaze! They are rivers, cutting through the world as they wish, and one day, they will break their banks.

Burb'l.

Ah, Burb'l. My family doesn't treat him like they should. I've tried to encurage him, to take more action and take his will into his own hands. But he will not. Very well. I still thank him for the comfort he brings the poor, the downtrodden, the unfortunate. Motals should not suffer from decay and degeneration, nor from servitude, and he brings that a bit closer to truth.
And for the record, i was against the first razing of lantis!.... and i did appologize to him when i razed it, the 14th time. But they shouldn't have worshipped me! I warned them!

Asher
All things must end, claim Asher. For now, he may be right, but mortalkind will throw off the chains of death, eventually. Until then, testing themselves against you and your creation will make them strong.

Oneiros
The siblings! ah, younger even than me. When gave mortals will and sentience, i did not know that they would inspire gods such as these. A pleasant surprise; dreams of might and power spur mortals onward toward their true potential. I have more... mixed opinions of athumos. On one hand, hopelessness can sap the life and strength of mortals, stop them from reaching their potential. And on the other.... I have seen it inspire before, drive them to action. Cornered, desperate... some mortals only reach there potentials in such situations.

Kylia Chainbreaker

So close, so close! Literal chains aren't the only the only ones that should be broken! Can't you see, flesh and mortality are just as much chains as the literal chains? I count her as a friend and ally, and I hope that one day she will see the truth, and join me in bringing them true liberation.

Wallastra
Wallastra inspires mortals, and protects them, lifts them from the sorrows and pains of nature, and i thank and love him for that. But it will not stop there. Mortals will flourish forever, until they flourish beyond there means. The city may be great, but it must become a glorious city in the heavens, a city of immortal and painless souls.

Foltz
Foltz.... Hm. I do not approve of passivity, of letting others do to you what you wish. Those teachings, i could do without. But... in his own way, too, he empowers them, and i thank him for that. He can be infuriating at times, but we get allong well enough.

Auer
She sees mortal lives as... Objects. All my siblings does this, of course, but Auer is the worst. they are nothing to her, it seems, but colours to be arranged. Manipulates them and bring them to dispair for... "aesthethics." I despise her.

Vaalystion

While he can be a bit... insufferable, at times, the knowledge and the magic he brings mortals empowers them. His arts are a step on the road towards the true liberation of all mortals.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread