Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
First of all, I'd like to apologize for poor communication on my part. When I and Theantero discussed this in IRC I noted that you weren't present, but when you did log in I completely failed to catch you up on our conversation. I do think PvP actions are best taken with the active consent from both parties, and I failed to facilitate that as a GM.

That said; from my perspective, this exchange between High Gear and Black Squire is some excellent Capers! She lied to him to give the team an advantage, he flipped out and threw a tantrum instead of dealing with a serious problem -- he rejected influence through a roll, at risk of failing and taking a hard move. Black Squire still has an action to react to or ignore him

Obviously, the gulf between my satisfaction with the scene and your feeling of disempowerment is a problem. One that stems from my failure to communicate with you and make sure you're also on board for a high tension scene.

I want what has already happened to stand, but in the future I will try to be more considerate of people's characters and not make assumptions when simple communication is possible. If you want to talk more about it. I will be on IRC tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ye, I apologize if I took too many liberties with the fluff. On the other hand, since I basically grabbed BS by the collar without rolling for anything, it's not like I'm expecting her to roll anything either to break free. Especially not since BS is probably around one hundred times better at actual single combat than HG is, even if his power armor grants him some strength. Really, I'm expecting HG to get owned for swiping at someone like that without taking proper precaution if anything.

Like, if there's somebody here who likes to see HG get his comeuppance for being a perpetual manbaby asshat it's probably me :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'll let it stand, and try to come up with something more interesting to do tonight.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
As I'm sure you'll all noticed, prompts have been coming slower recently.

This is due to a lot of factors; including my job getting busier than I anticipated (seriously going into overtime every week) and prompts being significantly harder for me to write than normal character posts in other people's threads.

Don't worry, this isn't me calling it quits on the games, but I do think it's important to publicly state what I've basically already been doing --

I don't believe I'll have the time or energy to update the threads more than once every two weeks. That is, I can update one thread on the weekend, alternating threads every week.

This is slow; I'm not going to try and fool myself or you guys by saying otherwise, but it's the pace I've found where I can be comfortable and consistent.

Why am I writing this post? First of all, I'm hoping that by stating this publicly I'll feel less guilt when thinking/talking about the thread after y'all have all posted but I'm still far away from prompting, but more importantly -- If a prompt every two weeks is too slow for people; if people find themselves losing interest in the plot or losing the voice of their characters because there is such a long wait between posts, then I want to invite people to speak up about it, and I guess we'll go from there?

So yeah, basically posting this to reaffirm that I'm still interested in the games, but also start a probably-necessary conversation about the pacing of the threads. I don't see myself getting significantly more free time in the near future.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Madison 'Maddy' Tailor - The Hellion

Hi, so this is me.

And this is what I'm becoming.

Let me explain.

A long time ago in a far away land....! Or some time about a year ago, just over there. I don't know, go with whichever feels more dramatic. My father told me a secret. A powerful secret! A secret which changed my life forever!

I'm dying.

Oh! Wait! Wow! Don't give me that look! No it's not like that! I'm not dying dying, I'm just "Dying". See, my family. We're Fae. You know, old spirits, amongst the first to step through into this moral world (after you guys blew it up, seriously what is wrong with you?). Well, we settled, and took mortal partners and had kids and then they.... well, you know how it goes. Well aaaanyway, the Fae took on human lives. But we're far from human. Because sometimes. We turn back into what we used to be. It starts off small, a child hears the whispers in their head. Telling them to get up to mischief. As they get older, they can't help but listen to the voices more. It's not a kind of madness or anything like that. It's our titles, making us into who we'll become. The more we accept and use our powers, the more we lose of who we are, and the more we become ourselves! Our true selves. As True Fae!

Then we slink back into the Hedge and take up one of the fairy realms littered throughout! We basically become as gods.

"Why am I telling you this?" Um, are you alright? I would have thought the subtext was pretty apparent. I'm going to be one! One of those things. I've already heeded the call of my Titles! There's no stopping it. I'm going to.... die. But I'll live on as a Fae! I mean, that's great! Right? I mean sure, I won't be the me who I am right now, but I'll be a different me!

A really different me.

The True Fae aren't like us. They want for nothing. They live to play out fate, and stories. They live THROUGH their stories. But it gives them power. They're practically unstoppable on their home turf, and even here they're really strong! They just lack all trace of what makes them human. Which is frankly terrifying. But it's okay! I've accepted it. It's going to happen one way or another. So why get sad about it? So now, I'm trying to live my life to the fullest! I've kissed a boy, and a girl, I've broken into all kinds of parties. I've taken A LOT of illegal substances (they were okay, I guess? I mean, they don't work properly on me. But at least I can say I've tried them!) So now I'm trying my hand at something new!

CRIME!

This is going to be. SO. MUCH. FUN!

quote:

Villain Name: Weaver
Abilities: Your powers are tied to your Dark Power and their favor. Choose 2 or 3, and describe how through them the Power’s will is done. Your Dark Power can always deny you access.

Arcadian Body - The form of a True Fae is tough, stronger, faster, and more resilient then a mortal body by a pretty large margin! In Maddy's case, her hair is also alive, able to grow and gather and move according to her will. It's ridiculously hard and resistant to damage, and can pack quite a punch. It also looks great at all times, and never suffers from split ends! Some say it moves like it's got a mind of it's own, or many minds of it's own. In her 'true' form, Maddy's hair is comprised of beautiful, if deadly snakes.

Hedge Gates [Dimension Warping] - All Fae have access to the strange leafy lands beyond of the Hedge. Though treacherous and incredibly deadly to mortals. A Fae can use it's twisting paths to go wherever they please! Once on the other side, their will is made manifest! Woe betide the fool who would challenge the Gentry in their own realm! Maddy can open a doorway at will into the Hedge, from here she can attempt to navigate to anywhere she wants to go. Though she currently lacks the Fae's inherent sense of direction, and can often arrive off target, or later then she means too. This is also the only way to get to her Lair.

Fate Weaving - The Gentry tell stories. To do this, they make Pacts with the elements of creation itself, securing it's subservience. Within their realms, they are unto gods, their very will is woven out of the fabric of reality. Not only that but they hold the power to change other's fates! All the better to tell their stories to the end of time itself. Even away from their realms, they hold power to change the world with their mere thoughts, though to a much more limited degree. Such a power is likened to magic by the ignorant. But even they soon realise their rather fatal mistake. Maddy has only been able to access a few pacts so far, though her ability to make changes to the world is small at the moment. She has the loyalty of Plants, Stone, Metal, Lighting, Flame, Beasts and hopes to add Fate to her collection soon. Though this would only give her a small control over luck at first, such power would eventually grant her power over destiny itself!

Assets:

A Dangerous Beast

A baby chimera I brought with me from my Lair! I named him Muffins! Isn't he just the cutest little thing! He can already breath fire and spit 10,000 volt lighting bolts! :kimchi:

Surveillance Equipment
The stone itself listens. The plants chatter. I hear it all, they listen for me, tell me what they hear and see, and I honour our pact. I polish the stone, and I water the plants.

Labels:
Freak +2
Danger +1
Trouble +0
Superior -1
Menace +1

Moves

Strings Attached
You're a herald of a greater doom, and your pact came with strings attached. You are sworn to a Dark Power and every action you take can give it more power over you. You can ignore this fate, try to abate it, or embrace it, but one way or another, it comes. What summons the Dark Power forth and gives it more Strings over you? Choose two.
Indulging in revenge
Temptation of a hero
Whenever you summon forth the Dark Power, mark one box on your Strings track.
Strings Track □ □ □ □ □
When your Strings track fills, the terms of the deal are changed. Clear it and take one Bargain. Pray the terms are not changed again.

Dark Power
You made a bargain with a much more powerful being, that nevertheless needed you in order to act in this world. It could be a true blue demon, a sleeping dragon, an astral spirit, an ancient ghost, a sentient AI, a galactic devourer, or something of the like. It simply cannot be defeated by you, or even your allies. Only a true hero can defeat it, and that’s not you.

Give your Dark Power three sobriquets and one true name.
She of Twisting Serpents
The Blood Red Summer Rain
The Innocent Driven to Bring Ruin.
True Name: The Maiden of Summer, with flowers at her feet, who hisses and plays with the lives of her slaves.

Whenever someone learns and invokes the Dark Power by its True Name, mark your Strings track, even if it wasn’t you that invoked it. Whomever invoked the name takes Influence on the Dark Power, but it gets closer to becoming incarnate on this world. And unlike you, it’s truly evil, or at least completely terrifyingly amoral, not just eeeeeevil.

At the end of every issue, ask the question: Did you make any progress at paying off your debt to the Dark Power? If yes, mark a condition from the stress. If no, mark your Strings track.

Lair
You have a place where you can scheme, recover, and experiment with your powers. Choose and underline 3 features of your Lair:

wide open spaces; in another dimension; raw materials.

Choose and underline 2 downsides of your Lair:
Difficult to access, not safe from your Dark Power.

You can use the features of your Lair as Assets during a caper, either exhausting or wagering them for benefit. When you wager a Lair feature and miss, instead of losing that feature, the Dark Power’s influence over you grows. Mark your Strings track.

Bargains
These are moves that come to you with the advancement of your dark pact. Once you have taken all six Bargains above the line, you must take “Your payment is due” the next time your Strings track fills. Choose two Bargains you already hold at character creation.

Uncanny Voices: Mark your Strings track to reveal alarming secrets about those around you. Ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.
Elsewise Power: Mark your Strings track to use a move from any playbook, just this once.
Numb: Mark your Strings track to clear two conditions.
Burning at Both Ends: Mark your Strings track to execute a plan as if you rolled 12+..
Apotheosis: Mark your Strings track to transform into a hybrid of yourself and the Dark Power. Roll +Freak to directly engage and take +1 ongoing to unleash your powers for the remainder of the scene.
Make a Wish: Mark your Strings track to get anything that you really, really want. It can be anything, but always comes with a twist.

Moment of Triumph

It’s only briefly, but for a little while, you’re truly able to feel like you’re completely free of all obligations. The powers that you have are your own, and they allow you to do anything. You find the loophole, the secret, and you exploit it, over and over again. You keep pushing and pushing, until finally you end up entangling yourself all over again, and the Dark Power is not amused.

Plan Moves

When you meddle in the plots of others… ask if they think you’re acting alone or at the behest of your Dark Power. If they that they think you’re acting alone, clear a condition and give them Influence over you. If they think you’re acting at the behest of your Dark Power, shift up Freak and shift down the label of your choice.

When others meddle in your plots… they gain the notice of the Dark Power. You decide either to protect them or to do nothing. If you protect them, give the Dark Power influence over you and mark Curses! If you do nothing, the Dark Power gains Influence over them, and they can clear a condition.

When you stop to gloat about your master plan… go on and on about what dark and terrible things will happen when your evil master is finally incarnate, and how this plan brings him EVER CLOSER to this world. Roll +Menace. On a hit, clear a String as you satiate it with your eeeevil. On a 7-9, mark a condition. Either way, give the Dark Power Influence over you.

Influence

You fall into bad crowds easily, even if you’re always the outsider. Give two of your peers Influence over you. Note as well that your Dark Power starts with Influence over you.

Relationships

___________________ is the only one that knows the truth about you and the Dark Power.
You want something that ___________________ has before your short time here is up.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

quote:

Who were you before?
Katherine Logardi. A largely unimportant member of an unimportant clan. I come from the merciless wastelands.

• Who, or what, made you this way?

The sworn enemies of clan Lorgardi, the Benda Clan. In a raid, they managed to capture me, for I was the weakest of our clan, and the others cared little to save me.

They threw me into the Hollow Light pit after bringing me back to their territory. It was meant to be little more than a drawn out execution.

There was nothing inside the pit except cliffs far too steep to climb, dry sand… and a metal effigy of the gods within the metal, ever shining in their invisible light.

Finally, I understood. I was to be a sacrifice to the gods within the metal. However, they had other plans. It was painful at first. My mind was twisting and tearing. I was hungry, and thirsty. But after three days and three nights, I realized what had happened.

I had been reborn.

quote:

Who, outside your peers, thinks they can save you?

Marquis Magi, as he calls himself. A man of little understanding. He wants to “save me” from this “horrible fate”, as he calls it. He says he has been studying Unobtainum, as you city dwellers call the gods within the metal, and is horrified by what it did to me.

The blasphemy! This form has been granted to me by the gods within the metal. Why would I want to discard it?! I would have struck him down where he stood, had he not teleported away as I lashed out at him. The nerve!

quote:

Why don’t you just hide away from the world?

Pah! I have been granted all this power. Why would I want to let it waste away? No, instead I went out there. I broke out of the pit, and then I broke the Benda Clan.

And then I went to break the Logardi, who had abandoned me. It was only just. But following that, I realized the wastelands are nearly worthless to conquer. So instead, why not conquer this shining pearl of a city? It is a worthy offering to the gods within the metal, is it not?

quote:

Why do you suffer the others?
They are a stepping stone. They will help me understand these bizarre customs of the city, and then they will help me conquer the city. After that, they will be discarded. It is that simple.

quote:

Villain Name: Sariel

Abilities:
Antimagic Voice (Radioactive Aura)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7UorpCaBDM

My voice is like that of a banshee, and it destroys magic like a a hot knife cuts through butter.

Flight/Extra Limbs
Do you see these wings on all over my body? They work. And the feathers are as strong and sharp as steel. Do I need to say more?

Assets:

A Pointlessly Dangerous Lump Of Unshielded Unobtainium

The gods within the metal gave me strength, therefore I have brought them with me. It is as simple as that.

A Visibly Radiating Pile Of Paint-Peeling Unobtainium Residue

I will gather the gods within the metal, of any form, so that they can make me even stronger. I do not care if others think it useless in this form.

Labels:
Freak +2
Danger +2
Trouble -1
Superior +0
Menace +0

Monster Moves:

New Face of Fear
When you frighten, intimidate, or terrify others with your monstrous appearance and demeanor, roll +Danger. On a hit, they choose to make themselves vulnerable to you, or to flee. On a 10+, you choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
• You harden the resolve of someone else to stop you, and will pay for it later.
• You create a complication for your peers due to the terror.
• You mark a condition.

Strange Appetites
Whenever you indulge your strange appetite ( Magic Energies.), and it has to be by gross and terrible means, roll +Freak. On a hit, you clear a condition. On a 7-9, choose one.
• It’ll cost you time or resources. Exhaust an Asset or burn a Plan.
• You lose the respect of someone present. You lose Influence on them.
• It exposes a weakness to an enemy that they can exploit later. They take Influence on you.

Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Bloodshed
Whenever you directly engage in an outwardly inhuman and monstrous way, you may mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Moment of Triumph:
Everyone who tells you that you aren’t your body? Screw them! Embrace every dark urge represented in your flesh. Mutate further, and stronger than they could even imagine. Show them that they are monsters too on the inside. Indeed, at the end you’ll transform with your actions someone else, but what path they take is not for you to decide.

Plan Moves:
When you meddle in the plots of others… ask if they see you as a person or see you as a thing. If they say person, mark a condition and Curses! If they say thing, they gain Influence on you. If they already have Influence on you, they can take advantage of it and spend it to clear a condition.

When others meddle in your plots… show them that they are a monster too, and bring them into your dark world. If they come along willingly, take Influence on them, and they take +1 forward. If they come along kicking and screaming, they mark a condition, and so do you.

When you stop to gloat about your master plan… describe in detail all the terrible things you have in mind for your target. Roll +Freak. On a hit, they mark the condition Afraid, if they have it. If they do not, or already have it marked, they are vulnerable. On a 10+, you clear a condition as well.

During our first caper…
You attracted all the wrong sorts of attention from people. Not fear, but hate. Who absolutely hates your alliance, and will do anything to stop them?

Relationships:
You looked in the eyes of ___________________ and saw something that made even you shiver.
___________________ knew who you were before you changed.

Influence:
You’re unsubtle, and easily roused. Give everyone Influence on you.

• Locked thread