Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Thanks for this.
Based on the docs' "f.write(string) writes the contents of string to the file" and not seeing any examples like your naive one, I assumed incorrectly that each call to write would overwrite the entire file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dominoes posted:

That's the one Googs was sending me to, but it's a tutorial. I'm looking for a breakdown of each function/method available. Their args, what they return, and a description. Eg so you could see that readlines returns a list of strings where it splits by /n char, loads the whole thing into mem at once etc. readline returns a single string of the next line in the stream if it's there, and raises (what?) if you're at the end etc.
I think you want https://docs.python.org/3.8/library/io.html?highlight=readline#io.IOBase and perhaps also https://docs.python.org/3.8/library/io.html?highlight=readline#io.TextIOBase

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's it! Nailed it.

Btw, the with statements in my example are set up so that even if something goes wrong with the Python code, the memory's freed and the file closes upon completion.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 27, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dominoes posted:

That's the one Googs was sending me to, but it's a tutorial. I'm looking for a breakdown of each function/method available. Their args, what they return, and a description. Eg so you could see that readlines returns a list of strings where it splits by /n char, loads the whole thing into mem at once etc. readline returns a single string of the next line in the stream if it's there, and raises (what?) if you're at the end etc.

With open... As name and for line in name works fine.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
sed -u -i 's/stringtoreplace/replacement/g' file.txt

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 27, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Bitching: developing on windows, particularly when I’ll have to deploy to Amazon Linux, is loving dumb and I’m dumb for doing it

Guess who spent half the day trying to figure out why I couldn’t get something to work only to find out it was because I was making a tarball that had different folder slashes than the deployed machine? This idiot.

Don’t be like me.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I recommend WSL if you're going to make tarballs. It's built into most editions as a CLI tool. The command's something I have to google and C+P every time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dominoes posted:

I recommend WSL if you're going to make tarballs. It's built into most editions as a CLI tool. The command's something I have to google and C+P every time.

Yea I have the Ubuntu WSL installed already and even have anaconda, AWS cli, etc working on it from the last time I didn’t learn my lesson because I’m the terrible programming

I’m just so used to my pycharm workflow and for most stuff it doesn’t make a difference.

Edit I should see if windows pycharm can somehow use the WSL

Edit2
Of course it can god drat jetbrains you’re too good https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/using-wsl-as-a-remote-interpreter.html

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 29, 2020

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm using a def. Is there a way to define, such that the editor displays a message to the user when they try to invoke it (like they start typing the function and a little autocomplete bubble appears with the message about the function, like it's inputs). I've seen it done for classes, similar to:

code:
'''
Implementation and output:

methods:
                run(): do a thing

outputs:
                output_dict:  another thing? whatever this is
            {'variable': , 'function': }

'''
eg, Im hoping for like

code:
def butt()
    ''' 
    '''
    <code here>
such that the above message gets displayed above the cursor when the user starts typing butt()

Is this A Thing?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 4, 2020

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

If I understand you, that's a function of your IDE. PyCharm is by far the best at that sort of thing. Using typehints helps.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Is this A Thing?

As Dominoes said, the type information for arguments/returns is best covered by type hints (which PyCharm has robust support for, like seemingly everything else). If you are dynamically adding methods to a class or something you can add type hints by using a stub. The other stuff people put in multi-line comments at the top of classes/functions almost always seems unnecessary to me. It's either high level information that can be conveyed by just naming the function appropriately, or its specific enough that I'd usually rather it was in regular comments where it's relevant.

Maybe it's just me, but who is this poo poo for?

Python code:
    def users_set_avatar(self, avatar_url, **kwargs):
        """Set a user’s avatar"""

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 4, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wallet posted:

As Dominoes said, the type information for arguments/returns is best covered by type hints (which PyCharm has robust support for, like seemingly everything else). If you are dynamically adding methods to a class or something you can add type hints by using a stub. The other stuff people put in multi-line comments at the top of classes/functions almost always seems unnecessary to me. It's either high level information that can be conveyed by just naming the function appropriately, or its specific enough that I'd usually rather it was in regular comments where it's relevant.

Python code:
        """Set a user&#8217;s avatar"""

People generating documentation with something like sphinx for software they intend others to use.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Wallet posted:

Python code:
        """Set a user’s avatar"""

What Bundy said, but also that is indeed a somewhat useless docstring. It doesn't describe anything that the function name doesn't cover. But what if you start making it more in depth so that devs don't have to read the function's code and follow its dependencies, or can view it on that online documentation? Like,

Python code:
def users_set_avatar(self, avatar_url: str, **kwargs):
    """
    Set a user's avatar.

avatar_url should be a valid url pointing to an image. The image may be jpg or png; other types will throw a RuntimeException.
    If there is a problem with the url and it cannot be resolved or downloaded, a RuntimeException will be raised. This includes 
    certificate chain verification, if this is an [url]https://[/url] url.

kwargs are passed unchanged to requests.get(). 

If this user already has an avatar, it will be overwritten. If this was the only user using the avatar, it will be deleted
    from the shared image cache.
    """
Makes it a bit more useful!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dominoes posted:

If I understand you, that's a function of your IDE. PyCharm is by far the best at that sort of thing. Using typehints helps.

Yeah, I'm on VSCode and it does that as well. I thought maybe there was some standard way of formatting that IDE's would read.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

There are several standard formats, look up "docstring formatting". My favorite is numpy style. That said, the IDE popup just shows the whole thing so for your purposes it doesn't matter.

BTW, for one of the posters above, docstrings aren't comments! It's a pet peeve of mine. If you use the triple quotes syntax as a comment you're really just creating a string but not assigning it to any variable.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bundy posted:

People generating documentation with something like sphinx for software they intend others to use.

Yeah, I know, but all that accomplishes is an automatically generated web page that tells me that your function does the thing that the name has already told me it does. If you want to put actually useful information in there I get it (even if I don't particularly like it) but maybe 1/10 projects I look at that use docstrings have anything even vaguely useful contained in them, and in the cases where they do have useful information there's often so much bloat that the file is 75% docstring and 25% code.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

BTW, for one of the posters above, docstrings aren't comments! It's a pet peeve of mine. If you use the triple quotes syntax as a comment you're really just creating a string but not assigning it to any variable.

Fair enough—I don't personally use that syntax unless I need a multi-line string and I'm feeling lazy about line breaks, but I see people use them as comments all the time instead of adding a few extra pound signs.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 4, 2020

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Please document the assumptions your code makes and its semantics. Please don't say "just read the code". Especially if you're not using typing (with good, well-named, verbose, and specific types) it is really important to keeping the code readable.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Phobeste posted:

Please document the assumptions your code makes and its semantics. Please don't say "just read the code". Especially if you're not using typing (with good, well-named, verbose, and specific types) it is really important to keeping the code readable.

I'd rather docstrings than nothing, but I'd rather good type hints, comments, and if necessary external documentation than docstrings :shobon:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Question on a "makefile" for Python.

I'm using a Docker 3.8 Slim Buster python environment, and I have a few libraries in a requirements.txt

For Reasons, I need a makefile that installs all the required packages that the project uses onto the base system, both from the 3.8 environment. How would I check what libraries the Docker environment uses?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Generate your requirements.txt file via pip freeze. Itwill output a full list of installed packages, including what version they are.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Master_Odin posted:

Generate your requirements.txt file via pip freeze. Itwill output a full list of installed packages, including what version they are.

Do you guys really do it this way for deployed apps? I find over-specifying requirements leads to a hell-scape of conflicts 6 months later and instead will update my requirements.txt as I pip install things on a new project with the specific versions of the packages I want but not specific versions of the dependencies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah ideally you want your reqs to be as slim as possible, just adding the non-dependencies as you build up the app, and no dependencies. But depending on the OP's Reasons, starting from a pip freeze will get it working, and then weeding out the dependencies can come later. :techdebt:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Isn't something like pipenv the preferred way now, anyhow? In that you track the specific requirements YOUR code is bringing, and it'll let you operate the requirements at that level, and deal with the lower level details separately. Still ultimately working via requirements.txt (or not?) but not in the raw "your requirements and everything your requirements require and everything your requirements' requirements require and so on, all intermingled" way that pip freeze does.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh I was speaking under the assumption that we’re doing all of it in some form of pipenv/venv. No way am I gonna do any of that poo poo with global python.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i am new to python so this is probably pretty easy.

let's say i have an if/else loop. if condition x, i want to set variable a = 'stringA', b = intB, and c = 'stringC'. if not condition x, i want to set variable a = 'stringAmod', b = intBmod, and c = 'stringCmod'. that's easy enough. what i'm unclear on is how best to combine the entire result set a, b, and c from the first condition to the entire result set a, b, and c from the else condition, and then write that entire set to a csv.

now, there's a simple way--in each condition, write each row to a csv after defining the variables. something like:

if x is true:
a = stringA
b = intB
c = stringC

write.writerow(a, b, c)

else:

a = stringAmod
b = intBmod
c = stringCmod

write.writerow(a, b, c)

--

however, i feel like a more efficient way would be to do something like:

if x is true:
a = stringA
b = intB
c = stringC

#i have no idea what the right thing here is, hence my question
jsonlikeobject = add(a, b, c)

else:
a = stringAmod
b = intBmod
c = stringCmod

jsonlikeobject = add(a, b, c)

writerow(cycle through jsonlikeobject, inserting each 'array' or whatever you'd call it.

does this make sense? if so, what am i looking for?

thanks.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 18, 2020

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Keep it as simple as you need for your use. Your pseudocode is fine.

Python code:
if x:
    a = 'stringA'
    b = intB
    c = 'stringC'
else:
    a = 'stringAmod'
    b = inbBmod
    c = 'stringCmod'

write.writerow(a, str(b), c)

What are you trying to do with json? It's a serialization format, eg for passing structured data through an API.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Master_Odin posted:

How do you get this when you use a Docker environment?

Also, does this show you only the files the project uses?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to share some state (less than 1 KB of tabular data, could easily be a CSV or list of dicts) between two types of Python processes running on the same system. This would be one-to-many... one process writes the state, a handful of separate ones will read it. Any ideas for how to sync between them? I don't control spawning the reader processes and they aren't run by the same user, so it exceeds my normal use of pipes/queues. I could probably use a file but how to ensure the file is flushed and fully written to disk for the helper to read? I guess I could use a specific file terminator and only have the reader update internal copy of state when it sees that. Similar file access and concurrency issues between sqlite or something.

This seems like a problem that is reasonably common yet in a spot where standing up Redis server seems like overkill. Does anyone have any pointers in a specific direction?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
A naive solution might to be writing a tmp file and then moving it to the correct location, as long as you aren't required to append to the same file over time that should work.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hed posted:

I'm trying to share some state (less than 1 KB of tabular data, could easily be a CSV or list of dicts) between two types of Python processes running on the same system. This would be one-to-many... one process writes the state, a handful of separate ones will read it. Any ideas for how to sync between them? I don't control spawning the reader processes and they aren't run by the same user, so it exceeds my normal use of pipes/queues. I could probably use a file but how to ensure the file is flushed and fully written to disk for the helper to read? I guess I could use a specific file terminator and only have the reader update internal copy of state when it sees that. Similar file access and concurrency issues between sqlite or something.

This seems like a problem that is reasonably common yet in a spot where standing up Redis server seems like overkill. Does anyone have any pointers in a specific direction?

I'd just use mmap for this - memory mapped files generally work well for this use case.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

necrotic posted:

A naive solution might to be writing a tmp file and then moving it to the correct location, as long as you aren't required to append to the same file over time that should work.

If there are sync issues and you need to avoid writing the file while another process may be reading it a lock file would also work, just create an adjacent file on disk and any process that might read from the main file is expected to block as long as that lock file is present. Create the lock file, write the data (or replace the file with the tmp file as suggested), remove the lock file. Of course, maybe someone is reading the data file when you create the lock file, so maybe you need a little pause in there after creating the lock for any actively ongoing reads.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Folks is there an idiot-proof way to handle and manage pip packages? I'm forever seeming to have just every drat thing break when trying to set up some interesting looking app or the other and it's continuously a pain in my side.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Warbird posted:

Folks is there an idiot-proof way to handle and manage pip packages? I'm forever seeming to have just every drat thing break when trying to set up some interesting looking app or the other and it's continuously a pain in my side.

On the publisher side, nothing special.

On the user side, use virtualenvs. You create a virtualenv for each "app". You can activate or deactivate them. When one is activated, the shell that it's activated in will use the virtualenv's configuration to find and install python packages. You should do this even if you have just one app you need to install, honestly - it makes life so much better.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind when I reinstall my OS because I think I just royally hosed up everything trying to “fix” the problem.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Virtualenvs are definitely not idiot-proof compared to conda but do have plenty of advantages.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well it appears my mobo/bios is utterly hosed so I guess I don’t have to sweat it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Warbird posted:

Well it appears my mobo/bios is utterly hosed so I guess I don’t have to sweat it.

A morality tale for messing around with OS-level pip

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone interested in a small freelance gig? A year or two ago I helped someone set up a script that scrapes some sports betting websites and runs some stats through his formula and spits out the good bets or whatever. He wants to update it because of some changes to the sites probably. It's probably only a few hours of work but I don't have the energy these days with the startup and the baby.

My code kind of sucks -- I was really phoning it in -- but if you can handle requests, beautifulsoup, and pandas it won't be too difficult. And who knows, maybe the bets are valuable (I never tried). Anyways, PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Anyone interested in a small freelance gig? A year or two ago I helped someone set up a script that scrapes some sports betting websites and runs some stats through his formula and spits out the good bets or whatever. He wants to update it because of some changes to the sites probably. It's probably only a few hours of work but I don't have the energy these days with the startup and the baby.

My code kind of sucks -- I was really phoning it in -- but if you can handle requests, beautifulsoup, and pandas it won't be too difficult. And who knows, maybe the bets are valuable (I never tried). Anyways, PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

Shot you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
TLDR: How can I figure out the minimum number of packages needed in a venv/my environment?

Background: I'm making several AWS lambda functions that I'm deploying with Zappa with a lot of piping and testing different ways to do it. For example wrapping them with a Flask API, making them part of my Django site, embedding different add ons, etc. I just hit the AWS Lambda file size limit and Zappa's slim_handler seems to be busted. (Zip file is 111MB, unzipped its north of 200MB)

I think its bloated for two reasons:
-My venv has gotten quite bloated mostly with dependencies I don't need when I pip installed something that I later uninstalled.
-Packages like pandas do a ton but I'm only using a tiny subset of their functionality.

Is the only thing I can do to delete my venv and rerun my requirements.txt?
Is there any way to not include some dependencies?

EDIT: Deleted venv and reinitialized.

The venv folder that pycharm creates is 75MB with only pip20 and setuptools...is that normal?

Also my unzipped file is still >250MB. Looks like Ill either need to install less, get slim handler working...or...something

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 26, 2020