Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Glazius posted:

What can you do with those giant swarms of Keese, anyhow? Toss a bomb and go redneck sky fishing?

Bomb Arrows are useful for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

vdate posted:

I will say that even one play session gave me new sympathy for your collective level of distractability because I found myself doing the same thing, repeatedly. Even when I told myself I'd get right to the point - but ooh what's that through that log tunnel?

Yup, this game does that. The koroks really add to that, even in the "empty" spots there's usually something to discover. Some reason to climb that tree, or see what's up a mountain.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
WHAT'S THAT COMING OVER THE HILL, IS IT A MONSTER? IS IT A MONSTER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4A7-572-CQ

I'll be seeing Ben again tonight, I'm sure he'll be thrilled with all the well-wishing! He's back at home and resting, so he'll be back on his feet and active again in no time!

Section Z posted:

Being told you need a organ removed in the first place can't be easy, so good luck with the recovery and results.

Also I'm so goddamned jealous that you caught your first fallen star. I basically spent all game with any naturally occurring fallen star fading away right as I was ten feet away :argh:

Lizal boomerangs :swoon:

Haha, yeah I'm getting the impression that was a super fluke that we managed to get one so early, even if it cost us.

savixeon posted:

How soon will you guys be getting back to the main quest ghost king gave you? Also it was kind of impressive how quickly you forgot the first bridge you ran to in episode 14 when you wanted to go across the river.

Even as we're wandering, we're keeping an eye on the map -- we want to explore, but we also want to at least move vaguely in the direction of our next goal. I can say that within the next week, we will reach our destination.

Gimbal lock posted:

I love how everybody freaked out when the weapon was about to be thrown, despite it being a boomerang.
You use a boomerang by actually throwing it. So long as it doesn't hit a wall or a rock or anything, it'll do exactly what you expect. Don't forget to catch it.

Yeah, I was sort of surprised at the level of freakout. It wasn't expecting to be in throw mode with it at the time, but still.

vdate posted:

Well, I just got this game and then accidentally played for seven straight hours. Fortunately, that means I've passed where you're at! I was going to say that means I can watch without fear of spoilers but I guess in a game this open-world that might not actually be true. You could end up taking an entirely different route than me and showing off things I've never seen! Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I will say that even one play session gave me new sympathy for your collective level of distractability because I found myself doing the same thing, repeatedly. Even when I told myself I'd get right to the point - but ooh what's that through that log tunnel?

Glad to have some sympathetic chaos amidst the landscape! I feel like we've been super aimless, and yet a lot of the folks around where we are in the game seem to be just as easily wandery, so I'm not too too worried.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just for the record a tip: barring distractions I'd suggest aiming for the main quest through Kakariko and the town they point you to after that. After that you're free to go and do whatever (and can beforehand), but that's the last few "functionality unlocks" that may be handy for you (or maybe not).

And I *think* that hitting trees or ore with weapons hurts their durability, which is why I keep a Woodsman's Axe and an Iron Hammer around. Or maybe those two items just have large durability. Main thing I know is that I can mine all day and replace it much less often.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 28, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Octorocks are jerks

More climbing jump tips based on my past mistakes: Did you know, the sideways jump is JUST long enough to clear more than the length of the little platforms on a tower :downs: "I almost made it... I almost made it... JUMP FOR IT!" *ZIP* "...Wile E Coyote is my spirit animal, it seems"

Bruceski posted:

Just for the record a tip: barring distractions I'd suggest aiming for the main quest through Kakariko and the town they point you to after that. After that you're free to go and do whatever (and can beforehand), but that's the last few "functionality unlocks" that may be handy for you (or maybe not).

Also, this. It is basically the suggested point of "Boost your QoL by doing plot up to here, for peak loving around doing whatever you want"

(Hammers just straight up do better on rocks, and axes straight up do better with trees even if they break fast as weapons. I can't decide if there is an actual durability perk in those situations, or if it is helped by them only needing one good swing rather than multiple)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Uh, I'm pretty sure the Wind Waker timeline was the only one to have the Rito Tribe you meet later on

However since the wiki isn't even sure on which timeline this is I don't even know anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's been confirmed to be last on the child timeline.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going by the Elder Scrolls 'Dragon Break' method, where after 10,000 years of this nonsense, all timelines are simulateously true regardless of how much they oppose each other. It takes place in the kingdom of Hyrule even though the land drowned eons ago. Ganondorf is in so many contradictory states of dead, sealed, and revived that only his malice is strong enough to break free.

Also, looking back at that episode, while you were shooting down the second last bokoblin from the platform, the blood red moon can be seen rising past the mountains on the left. I feel like you should have noticed it, but I sure as heck didn't until the second time I checked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YggiDee posted:

I'm going by the Elder Scrolls 'Dragon Break' method, where after 10,000 years of this nonsense, all timelines are simulateously true regardless of how much they oppose each other. It takes place in the kingdom of Hyrule even though the land drowned eons ago. Ganondorf is in so many contradictory states of dead, sealed, and revived that only his malice is strong enough to break free.

Also, looking back at that episode, while you were shooting down the second last bokoblin from the platform, the blood red moon can be seen rising past the mountains on the left. I feel like you should have noticed it, but I sure as heck didn't until the second time I checked.

I noticed it right away. I was also shocked they did not notice it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

See that's the crazy thing, someone posted a screencap of that exact moment to our Discord, said "How did you guys miss this!?", then followed it up with "Except I missed it too..."

NO idea. I guess we were just super focused.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ricdesi posted:

See that's the crazy thing, someone posted a screencap of that exact moment to our Discord, said "How did you guys miss this!?", then followed it up with "Except I missed it too..."

NO idea. I guess we were just super focused.

Almost like your attention was on trying to shoot something with a bow at the time :v:

But yeah, blood moons generally sneak up on people unless they happen to have their camera angled in a way that can see it in the first place. You're not really going to notice it's red moon coming ahead of time when you are in the middle of fighting some enemies, or climbing a cliff wall, swimming across a river, in a canyon so can only see it when it's already working it's evil magic, etc. Even wanting to check the normal phases of the moon I often end up climbing the nearest tall object only to find the weather pattern is too overcast to see it anyways.

This is half sympathy, half wanting to encourage you to never know they are coming ahead of time because it's funnier that way.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I dunno whether Lindsay saw the sunset reflected in the water or the very beginnings of a blood moon but either way I'm drat near certain that weren't no tower-reflection. (For one thing the blue one was closer and would have contributed rather more!) I did appreciate the slow slide from the auditory equivalents of :raise: through :stare: to :stonk:.

Having spent far too much time with this game in the past 48 hours, I can now say that y'all have gotta stop being such cowards - unless you're dramatically outclassed, it's almost always better to fight (healing first if needed) than to run, as the Octorok demonstrated. Also, as per Zelda standard, lock on is your friend. (It's ZL on the WiiU, can't think why that'd change on the Switch.) It's usually pretty good about it, unless you're near the feet of something much taller than you (as per running between Stone Talus' legs in a previous video), when you may need to tilt the camera back some.

You mentioned both paragliding and climbing in these eps, and I gotta tell you, once you get used to it you will wonder how the gently caress you ever went anywhere in a Zelda game without them. (Well, a Zelda game not containing the Pegasus Boots.) I hit this weird state of simultaneously wholly internalizing it and not realizing I'd internalized it pretty fast. I found myself spending a good 20 minutes clambering up the side of a canyon and paragliding from outcropping to outcropping, and then realizing just how unprecedented that freedom of movement really is. (Judging by the examples of, e.g. Skyrim or Ocarina, I mean.)

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

vdate posted:

You mentioned both paragliding and climbing in these eps, and I gotta tell you, once you get used to it you will wonder how the gently caress you ever went anywhere in a Zelda game without them. (Well, a Zelda game not containing the Pegasus Boots.) I hit this weird state of simultaneously wholly internalizing it and not realizing I'd internalized it pretty fast. I found myself spending a good 20 minutes clambering up the side of a canyon and paragliding from outcropping to outcropping, and then realizing just how unprecedented that freedom of movement really is. (Judging by the examples of, e.g. Skyrim or Ocarina, I mean.)
I wonder which is worse: coming to this game and forgetting there's no autojump, or going from this game (or Wind Waker) to one of the others and forgetting you can't glide.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Quantum Toast posted:

I wonder which is worse: coming to this game and forgetting there's no autojump, or going from this game (or Wind Waker) to one of the others and forgetting you can't glide.

Going from Breath of the Wild to a game with jumpjets, that counts leaping down a canyon and safely stopping mid air with a jetpack as a "death" once you gently hit the ground.

I've been spoiled by being able to so last second this game's glider that it doesn't even have time to deploy, but counts as a safe landing.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I suspect the worst might be Skyward Sword. Jump off a cliff, go for cloth, float straight down, ohfuckohfuckohfuck

And today, we all completely fail after I unknowingly blurt out one solution, then we find another entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFt0iw-A7E

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Meanwhile, in today's adventure, Ben is... getting acclimated to the overall environmental effects, and learning how metal and static electricity work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYeQgXYd80

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
For the hearts vs. stamina question I personally found it more useful to have more stamina in the beginning because it lets you avoid the poo poo that can kill you in two seconds more easily, whereas a few more hearts generally doesn't matter if you stumble upon something really nasty.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

For the hearts vs. stamina question I personally found it more useful to have more stamina in the beginning because it lets you avoid the poo poo that can kill you in two seconds more easily, whereas a few more hearts generally doesn't matter if you stumble upon something really nasty.

Pacing wise in my own playthrough, I'm very glad I got two stamina upgrades sooner rather than later, but I'm also very glad I held off on the third stamina upgrade in favor of getting my heart count sorted. Four shrines per upgrade really starts adding up, particularly when you haven't scoured every corner of the world already.

Though after I hit my desired heart count, hell yeah three more stamina upgrades in a row :v: (Stamina upgrades are 1/5 of a stamina wheel each. So five upgrades = Two wheels. You can have a max of three stamina wheels)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that Link has variable chest-opening animations based on what angle you come up to a chest on. Like he'll go for the lock if you come at it head-on, or boot it from the side.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

I like that Link has variable chest-opening animations based on what angle you come up to a chest on. Like he'll go for the lock if you come at it head-on, or boot it from the side.

From my extensive chest-opening, I think it's just the two options. Makes sense, though it would be fun if he did that thing where you bend over a chest to get to the open side and then try to figure out how to make physics work right to avoid needing to walk around it.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
There's a few more chest-opening variations besides those. Opening a chest while in stealth mode uses different animations, and you can get different variants on each of them (except the standard lock-opening one, I think) by trying to open a chest while not wearing equipment.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Sounds like Hyrule Warriors is in the D-Pad's future. At least, if they want to meet the wish to play as Agitha. In arbitrary unlocks mode

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Section Z posted:

Sounds like Hyrule Warriors is in the D-Pad's future. At least, if they want to meet the wish to play as Agitha. In arbitrary unlocks mode

Well the Wii U version is already in our past, but I suspect that at some point we'll be playing Hyrule Warriors Legends as well.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Arcomage posted:

There's a few more chest-opening variations besides those. Opening a chest while in stealth mode uses different animations, and you can get different variants on each of them (except the standard lock-opening one, I think) by trying to open a chest while not wearing equipment.

Yeah, trying to open a chest by kicking it and not wearing boots will cause Link to hurt his foot because metal is hard. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ricdesi posted:

Well the Wii U version is already in our past, but I suspect that at some point we'll be playing Hyrule Warriors Legends as well.

Well, guess I've got more reason to finally look at your backlog then.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay on posting these, this weekend was my birthday and pretty much everyone kept me busy (to the point where we may have had more than a few slight delays in video postings), but things are back on track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_Ybo_dgs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJmGc5kYxs

We will have another video going up sometime tonight, though we have yet to record Part 23, so depending if we're getting to that tonight or not, I may wait so that there's a decent preview chunk.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think you're doing horse wrong here. If you're riding on a road the horse kinda autopilots to follow it, so if you try to steer manually you tend to go off course on a regular basis.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thank god you took the path. So many people missed out Inventory Upgrades for ages because they climbed over mountains and other cool stuff on their way to Kakariko. Overall I like the korok seed system, but I can understand it being a complete bitch if you don't know about it/miss it.

Klumple will be a good horse for you. Hardly spoiler chat since you were just at a stable, but Gentle (multi color horses) = Less prone to tell you to go gently caress yourself trying to steer them. So no throwing you off their back if you try to dash with no stamina, or deciding to take a 45 degree turn all on their own when crossing a bridge with no guard rails. Wild horses (Solid color) get to have higher stats, but even at 100% bond will be disagreeable at times. But if you actually use horses a lot, you get used to them.

That said, Klumple has some nice stats for a gentle horsey. Also, try holding the Z target button then moving the stick around when your horse is stationary :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When in doubt with a horse, hit the comfort button if controls get weird.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game is pretty good about having people give you directions to places.

For example, I think you can still go back to Hestu and get directions to the forest he's heading toward, if you find yourself needing more space.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Now that you're in Kakariko, don't forget to stop by the clothing shop to stare enviously at some new clothes (or buy some, assuming you're willing to sell some gems, which you should be because you'll get more than enough for what you need them for later).

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
That horse will get killed quickly.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So you haven't updated the thread yet, but a couple pieces of advice based on the latest video (which I realize was the start of a new recording session so some of these may be addressed in a few days anyway). I'll just put them in spoilers until you link the video.

1. You can put bombs away by pressing B, just like in Skyward Sword.

2. You totally forgot to turn your shrine radar back on, so you totally missed the one in Kakariko.

3. The chest on the shrine icon only indicates that you got the treasure, a solid blue mark means you've completed it. Solid orange means you've discovered it, and blue with orange inside means you've activated it for warping but haven't completed it.

4. It's pronounced koo-koh, which I didn't realize myself until it was said in Nintendo Directs.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Sorry about the lack of updates, caught a nasty virus that crushed my energy and put me in bed for two days. I look rad in a mask though.

First off, we reached Kakariko and talked to Impa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr7vy2C-RdU

And now we're on our way to Hateno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQh9ZYvM1P8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8_v5lbxkE

Onto the stuff in here:

Section Z posted:

Thank god you took the path. So many people missed out Inventory Upgrades for ages because they climbed over mountains and other cool stuff on their way to Kakariko. Overall I like the korok seed system, but I can understand it being a complete bitch if you don't know about it/miss it.

Klumple will be a good horse for you. Hardly spoiler chat since you were just at a stable, but Gentle (multi color horses) = Less prone to tell you to go gently caress yourself trying to steer them. So no throwing you off their back if you try to dash with no stamina, or deciding to take a 45 degree turn all on their own when crossing a bridge with no guard rails. Wild horses (Solid color) get to have higher stats, but even at 100% bond will be disagreeable at times. But if you actually use horses a lot, you get used to them.

That said, Klumple has some nice stats for a gentle horsey. Also, try holding the Z target button then moving the stick around when your horse is stationary :v:

We love Klumple! Got the funniest loving thing I've ever seen involving Klumple in Part 26 on Monday, it's worth the wait, I promise!

vdate posted:

Now that you're in Kakariko, don't forget to stop by the clothing shop to stare enviously at some new clothes (or buy some, assuming you're willing to sell some gems, which you should be because you'll get more than enough for what you need them for later).

We are complete idiots and missed the clothing shop, BUT the next episode we're recording requires us to head back to Kakariko anyway, so we'll check it out then!

As for the spoiler-laden one, in order: Whoops, Whoops, Found that out!, and YES.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I really like the backstory here. It's like 10000 years ago a somebody realized that since this Ganon guy keeps coming back it might be better to prepare or it rather than leave it all up to two teenagers and then somebody else realized that we've got these blueprints for death lasers and they put two and two together. The rest, as they say, is history.

It might also be because I'm a sucker for the whole techno-magical thing that this game's got going.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I love the mesh of tech and magic, it's basically everything I was hoping the distant past of Skyward Sword would be! Speaking of which, there's a nice reference to Skyward Sword coming up in Part... 28, I think? Hard to keep track, but I'm impressed that they didn't just leave these details out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I really like the backstory here. It's like 10000 years ago a somebody realized that since this Ganon guy keeps coming back it might be better to prepare or it rather than leave it all up to two teenagers and then somebody else realized that we've got these blueprints for death lasers and they put two and two together. The rest, as they say, is history.

It might also be because I'm a sucker for the whole techno-magical thing that this game's got going.

I also like that they discovered these and tried to do the same thing 100 years ago, but Ganon had had 10000 years to think of a different plan.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeup. You'd think they would have considered that if he broke out, there may have been a reason why.

I honestly would have far preferred (in terms of story) that they be taken completely by surprise, and the shells of the unused guardians were what he took over instead of actively utilized ones. I don't dislike the existing story, but it feels a little convenient that they could be ready so quickly after 10,000 years.

Do you know what they were eating in Asia 10,000 years ago? I don't because they were just about to cultivate rice. It's like saying "Okay guys, we killed Rasputin, but be ready for him to come back in case he does," and in the year 11,900 they're still preparing for this guy.

It's a bit of a nitpick, but hey.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ricdesi posted:

I love the mesh of tech and magic, it's basically everything I was hoping the distant past of Skyward Sword would be! Speaking of which, there's a nice reference to Skyward Sword coming up in Part... 28, I think? Hard to keep track, but I'm impressed that they didn't just leave these details out.

Hell, just the world map is reference heaven.

EDIT:

ricdesi posted:

Yeup. You'd think they would have considered that if he broke out, there may have been a reason why.

I honestly would have far preferred (in terms of story) that they be taken completely by surprise, and the shells of the unused guardians were what he took over instead of actively utilized ones. I don't dislike the existing story, but it feels a little convenient that they could be ready so quickly after 10,000 years.

Do you know what they were eating in Asia 10,000 years ago? I don't because they were just about to cultivate rice. It's like saying "Okay guys, we killed Rasputin, but be ready for him to come back in case he does," and in the year 11,900 they're still preparing for this guy.

Eh, you can always interpret those 10000 years as not literally 10000 years but as a shorthand for "an unknown but really goddamn long time ago".

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

ricdesi posted:

Its not like the guardians and divine beasts were used to seal Ganon, they were just acting as support while the hero and the princess fought and sealed him. So when they were planning to use them, after excavating them from all over Hyrule, to act as support again they had no reason to think that Ganon breaking free from the seal would have anything to do with the weapons they used.

Also from it looks like the people of Hyrule were treating Ganon more like a force of nature than like a being that can think and plan, even the name they call him, Calamity Ganon, makes him seem like a natural disaster. So it makes sense that they would think the same thing used to deal with him 10,000 years ago would work again when he comes back.

• Locked thread