Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A bunch of people in the HZD thread are posting screenshots as well as enjoying the screenshots of others, because the game looks absolutely ridiculous. A lot of them are kind of in spoiler territory though, and people seem to be all over the place with spoilering plot stuff.

Please use this thread to freely post screenshots you took and talk about any plot stuff you want without spoiler tags.

I'll post a few I posted in the other thread and promptly peace out since I haven't finished the game yet. I've also got about 100 more screen shots to wade through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Most realistic part of the game is defense contractors creating robot apocalypse because they wanted to make a few buck.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are they gonna rebuild Gaia now? There was talk about needing to get rid of Hades first, but then it never came up again surprisingly, was sure that would be the end of the game cinematic.

When rowbutts ate everything, would the atmosphere have been removed also? Did they float into space?!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did I miss an entry that explained what caused The Glitch in the first place? Or is that sequel bait?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lakbay posted:

Did I miss an entry that explained what caused The Glitch in the first place? Or is that sequel bait?

It wasn't explained at least anywhere i found, either sequel bait or "glitches happen lol" i think.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Elisabet(h) blackmailed Faro into signing the Zero Dawn initiative because she knew "the real reason" behind The Glitch so I assume it's some earth-shattering (pun intended) reveal

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Dongattack posted:

Are they gonna rebuild Gaia now? There was talk about needing to get rid of Hades first, but then it never came up again surprisingly, was sure that would be the end of the game cinematic.

When rowbutts ate everything, would the atmosphere have been removed also? Did they float into space?!

This confused me, too. Part of the reason Aloy needed to get the Master Override was to rebuild GAIA, but she left the spear in HADES' face after she killed it. So what now?

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Don't know why they thought developing HADES would be a good decision in the first place. Maybe Ted is right and humanity is doomed to make the same mistakes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the datapoints go into greater detail on this, but HADES was designed as a failsafe in case GAIA got off to a bad start and they needed to quickly reboot the system, so to speak. They didn't want to awaken humans to an alkaline world with poison oceans or anything like that, and they only had a window of a couple hundred years to restart the life cycle on Earth until DNA started to deteriorate.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

exquisite tea posted:

Some of the datapoints go into greater detail on this, but HADES was designed as a failsafe in case GAIA got off to a bad start and they needed to quickly reboot the system, so to speak. They didn't want to awaken humans to an alkaline world with poison oceans or anything like that, and they only had a window of a couple hundred years to restart the life cycle on Earth until DNA started to deteriorate.

The reasoning seems a bit thin. You'd think GAIA would be able to make the appropriate changes to revert the negative conditions. Although I recall some datapoints indicating she was a big softy. It just seems like they don't really have a good track record developing any sort of AI with military capability.

Hades and the initial swarm seem to have been modified by some outside source/virus but what was protecting GAIA from being modified by the same outside source.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also was there a data/textpoint saying why the Far Zenith/Odyssey Escape Spaceship program had to leave the solar system instead of just setting up a colony or trying to terraform around Mars?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hay! Even though everyone was dicks and didn't use this thread, here I am!

I just finished this, and it was great.

I really thought that we would encounter it as part of the story, but I really liked thay Aloy found Elisabet's body in the final cutscene.

Also, the game had me fooled for a bit that it was going to turn out that Earth had been whiped out and this was actually another planet.

The story is so sad. Not like w3'd "peasent misory simulator" sad, but like, existentialy sad. But also hopeful.

Kind if disappointed that Ted sabotaged APOLLO, because the story was a lot more tragic if it waa just a malfunction. Just a glitch. It makes sense, though, that, if anyone would do it, it would be him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh thank god, a spoiler thread.

So here's something I've been wondering ever since I completed the game and was reading through the other thread:

When Aloy visits Sobeck's grave, there's a triangular flower bed around her. This normally marks a Metal Flower, so if this is the case, what - or whom - would you suggest they come from?

I still haven't come up with something that makes it click for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's a good question. I think that Gaia makes them.

We know that one of the scientists was a poet. It's mentioned in the data logs. We know that​ Gaia is sentimental. The metal flowers are part of the terraforming system, but the triangles around them are probably ornamental rather than functional. So My take is that Gaia marked Elisabet's body with one out of respect.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ah, I guess she/it could have made an exception. I was thinking GAIA, too, but I assumed there was a general system for when the flowers grew.

A unique commemoration for Sobeck that doesn't have anything to do with Metal Flowers makes sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Ah, I guess she/it could have made an exception. I was thinking GAIA, too, but I assumed there was a general system for when the flowers grew.

A unique commemoration for Sobeck that doesn't have anything to do with Metal Flowers makes sense.

Someone on reddit pointed out that when Gaia got hosed up, all it's processes became their own AIs (a pantheon of goddesses, if you will), and it is probably DEMETRE which has been making the flowers.

I'm fuzzy on some of these details cause I was very drunk while playing through the games main relevations. Teared up at that ending though. Just a lil. So beautiful.

Also this game made me start watching The 100 again. ugh.

edit: It's even possible that the triangle of flowers is a marker for machines to not disturb what's contained in it. After all, the machines don't harvest or recycle metal flowers. So it's possible that a triangle was places around Sobeck's body to mark it as offlimits.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 11, 2017

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Snak posted:

Kind if disappointed that Ted sabotaged APOLLO, because the story was a lot more tragic if it waa just a malfunction. Just a glitch. It makes sense, though, that, if anyone would do it, it would be him.

One of the datapoints talks about using DNA to encode data. Since Aloy's DNA isn't an exact match for Sobeck's it's possible some or all of the Apollo data was encoded in her DNA.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I know. I just meant that the failure of Apollo being a trgic accident is a better story than Ted being a dick.

Like, I think it's more interesting if it just failed because "the best laid plans..."

And, yes, I do think that some of the knowledge is in Aloy. Bur at this point, who cares? I don't really want a story about recovering the knowledge of the ancients. I want to see the progression of the new society.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think it's better narratively that APOLLO ended up being sabotaged by some egomaniac turned religious fanatic, since it creates this dual narrative between the past and present day where Sobeck/Aloy fight against the same threats.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of less tragic and more generic, that way, though. Like it's exactly what you would expect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Kind if disappointed that Ted sabotaged APOLLO, because the story was a lot more tragic if it waa just a malfunction.

I'd actually say the opposite, and I think it's important that Ted's the one who does APOLLO in. A running theme in the game is how destructive pride and hubris are, and Ted is the ultimate embodiment of this: he destroys the world not out of greed (he already had a trillion dollars), but out of spiteful pride in creating the "best" (read: least hackable and most heavily armed) combat robots on the planet. He destroys APOLLO for the same reason: his pride can't handle the world of the future learning about how he destroyed the old one. The entire world - all of its accomplishments and struggles - being obliterated by one man's petty, stupid ambitions is Greek tragedy writ large.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but he already did that once. The guy who makes the swarm in the first place is also the guy who fucks up the plan to save us? Come on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I also got bummed out by the story of the downfall of civilization went from basically "a tragic flaw in humankind" to "loving Ted".

It takes it from saying a lot of really interesting and profound things about a general situation to one that just sets up Ted as an antagonist, rather than something more fundamental about humankind.

I also don't think they did a good job at all explaining his about face.

Maybe it's my love-hate history with Soul Reaver, but the ending sure felt a lot like someone in upper management decided the game was going to get a sequel and asked for the ending to be left more open with no epilogue whatsoever.

I really wish they would just have come up with some kind of flaw that ruined things rather than Ted; I really loved the part with the armoured door that wouldn't close, because it showed that you need for everything to go perfectly in a situation like that - on top of "making it" one minute to midnight as the machines are just about to invade the facility.

fe: One thing I want to say in regards to the discussion is that there's nothing particularly wrong in not installing a backdoor in software as they constitute the biggest point of failure in a system. They shouldn't have made the machines in the first place, and a proper "backdoor" would have been some way by which they'd eventually run out of juice without human assistance, not unlike what Crichton proposed with the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. (IIRC, he didn't get the science completely right, but the idea was to create dinosaurs who weren't able to synthesize and obtain certain amino acids by themselves. FARO of course did literally the opposite and let them metabolize all organic matter.)

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 12, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Snak posted:

It's kind of less tragic and more generic, that way, though. Like it's exactly what you would expect.

It might have been more tragic in some abstract sense, but I think it would have somewhat gone against the major theme of the story, which is that cooperation + compassion defeat reckless self-interest. To have APOLLO malfunction just because of a glitch would be saying the efforts of Sobeck and Zero Dawn simply came up short, when the moral of Horizon is that people can beat the odds when they serve a cause greater than themselves. In both narratives we see the pragmatic, atheist heroines fight against fanatically self-interested and ultimately destructive men. In the first timeline it's Sobeck vs. Faro, in the second it's Aloy vs. Helis and Sylens. Having Faro sabotage APOLLO fits more neatly with the narrative's condemnation of people who think they're powerful enough to speak for the many.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Yeah but he already did that once.

He destroyed the biosphere, but he didn't destroy the human world-as-such - its collective memory - until after he destroyed APOLLO.

ufarn posted:

It takes it from saying a lot of really interesting and profound things about a general situation to one that just sets up Ted as an antagonist, rather than something more fundamental about humankind.

The point of Ted is that he's the embodiment of humankind's biggest, most fatal flaw (pride), and that the actions of the past echo the actions of the future. Ted dooms the world because of his thoughtless ambition; Dervahl cannot let his wounded pride go and nearly kills a genuinely good and thoughtful ruler because of it; Ersa dies because she pridefully overestimates herself compared to Dervahl; Helis is willing to send the world spiraling into another apocalypse, even after Aloy repeatedly warns him about what's going to happen, because his pride is too big to admit that he's been a big, muscled dupe for two masters; and so on. The heroes of the story - Aloy, Avad, Erend, Sylens - all either found themselves in situations where they've been wrong and accepted their need to apologize or change, or found ways to remain humble in spite of what their deeds have accomplished.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't really see that in the game per se, and part of my frustration is either due to or at least compounded by how they somehow let the guy who already doomed humankind once roam around the entire faculty like another employee; already when I started hearing about his involvement in project ZD as a peer and not someone who was at least locked up or some poo poo, my immersion suffered.

There's not always a right or wrong in how to interpret a game, but Ted's involvement in the story beyond the initial cataclysm just didn't work very well for me. I understand why he would be brought on to ZD, but the way he was treated with kids' gloves and impunity - and loving root access to the entire project and facility - made little to no sense to me. He never got a chance to redeem himself in any way, and he obviously handled the initial disaster in the most immature and irresponsible way possible.

I am fine with the idea of greed and immaturity bringing down the world - the first time around - but that's already been done by the time we get to ZD.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 12, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think that makes the story overly simplistic, thematically. Making the two storys parallel each other so exactly is less interesting than Faro and Helis being two sides of the same coin.

Having Ted destroy APOLLO isn't tragic at all. It's just "Ted is the villain". If it had been an accident, the thematic parallels would still exist, but also the stories wouldn't be as seperated, it would be one bug long continueos epic struggle.

And we be left with the question of whether humanity is better off without APOLLO without the baggage of the guilt of destroying it.

And Im just kind of tired of post-apocalypting settings where it's always revealed that it was one cebtral player who pushed one button for some deeply personal reason that set all the events in motion. There can't even just be "mankind collectively hosed themselves". There's always gotta be 1 villain.

I mean, it's still a good story. But that was the only reveal that I rolled my eyes at instead going "oooooooh shiiiiiiiit".

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Other people are responsible for the situation though - like the engineer who saw ZD as his shot at redemption, or General Herres, who was clear-eyed about what happened and why, and acknowledged his role in it while also pleading his eventual descendants never to repeat his mistake. The game makes clear that Faro became the most powerful and richest man in the world precisely because of his worst traits, not that John Galt was a secretly flawed man or something. Every other character, other than Faro, understands this (though we see some that might not have seen it that way, like the rear end in a top hat in Sales berating the reception staff from trying to defuse a fight between the rival customers who eventually bought the Plague robots).

In a sense, the whole situation was the result of a mistake anyway, since it was a tiny engineering flaw that got Sobek killed and she was the one person who would have stopped Faro.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 12, 2017

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lakbay posted:

the glitch in the original faro robots was presumably added in by faro himself, you learn this by an e-mail where he requests that RnD starts looking into manned combat robots for a possible future market opportunity

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

the glitch in the original faro robots was presumably added in by faro himself, you learn this by an e-mail where he requests that RnD starts looking into manned combat robots for a possible future market opportunity

I think that was what he did between learning about the Glitch and telling the world about the Glitch, not that he decided to self-destruct his whole empire.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think that was what he did between learning about the Glitch and telling the world about the Glitch, not that he decided to self-destruct his whole empire.

That could be it I suppose, I guess I just assumed he's that much of a shitheel.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I'm not clear why all the people in the first bunker all killed themselves? Was it not an Elysium facility, and they were about to be overrun? But they were working on ZD, so why wasn't it an Elysium? Why didn't their bodies get eaten by the robots?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I'm not clear why all the people in the first bunker all killed themselves? Was it not an Elysium facility, and they were about to be overrun? But they were working on ZD, so why wasn't it an Elysium? Why didn't their bodies get eaten by the robots?

It seems to me that it was just a plain military bunker, not an elysium. The robots couldn't get to them inside, but they also didn't have enough food to survive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm just playing the mountain the fell and imo it's kind of dumb that Sobek was the one to close the door. Wasn't she like, literally the most critical human on earth at that point? She designed the thing that is supposed to keep earth alive you'd think they'd want her to live as long as possible.

Send that goober Travis Tate out there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nerdz posted:

It seems to me that it was just a plain military bunker, not an elysium. The robots couldn't get to them inside, but they also didn't have enough food to survive.

I thought it was an Elysium, but after a while they realized that living in a bunker until they die of old age sucked, so they collectively decided to kill themselves in that particular one. I mean, that's not an unexpected reaction to existential ennui, according to other bits in the game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just playing the mountain the fell and imo it's kind of dumb that Sobek was the one to close the door. Wasn't she like, literally the most critical human on earth at that point? She designed the thing that is supposed to keep earth alive you'd think they'd want her to live as long as possible.

Send that goober Travis Tate out there.

Did you miss the part where they were trying to decide who to send? She had already went outside herself by that point.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Was it ever explained why Hades went genocidal in the first place? Things in general seems to be going pretty well, no fundamental flaws were implied with the current state of affairs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Alris posted:

Was it ever explained why Hades went genocidal in the first place? Things in general seems to be going pretty well, no fundamental flaws were implied with the current state of affairs.

An "unknown signal" separated him from GAIA. Given that his only purpose in life is to wipe out all life and then shut down, that's what he started doing once separated.

The unknown signal itself was left as a sequel hook.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Norns posted:

Did you miss the part where they were trying to decide who to send? She had already went outside herself by that point.

No I saw that. You'd still think common sense would dictate that she probably shouldn't be a martyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think at that point Sobeck saw herself as any more important than the other alphas, given that their only purpose was to lock in and ride out the remainder of their natural lives in a bunker monitoring systems while GAIA developed a cure for the Faro plague. And she probably didn't expect Lyin' Ted to come back and sabotage at all since they spent all that effort placating his own ego with his own luxurious elysium chamber.

• Locked thread