Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, they are pretty obviously based on Aztec human sacrifice practices. It also has appeared in many other cultures as well. Looking into the fiction for a reason 'why' the carja developed this way is probably a fools errand.

I thought that Carja Sacrifice started recently, and wasn't a historical part of their culture?

I also don't think it's a fool's errend in this context, considering that, in this setting, religious beliefs are based on mythology surrounding ancient technology.

Aztec human sacrifice was about appeasing gods. In HZD, gods are "real". So in real life, when I look for a "reason" that Aztecs sacrificed people, I find that they believed Tezcatlipoca was pleased by their sacrifice and would bless their hunts and wars. When I look for a reason that the Nora worship the Mother, it's because there's a buried machine that they came from. HADES is real, GAIA is real.

Anyway, it was just an idea.

edit:

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of a brilliant plot move to silence nerd complaints about Aloy being too knowledgeable at points. "Well, she grew up with the Focus all her life and she's an exact clone of a woman who entered Stanford at 13 and saved the world from destruction."

Yeah, people will bitch about anything, though. There was a post on reddit about "how can Aloy read?!" despite there literally being a montage in the game of the Focus teaching her to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You have it the other way around, the last Sun King was a murderer until Avad murdered him and is trying to make amends

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
A clone of the 21st century Einstein who also rigorously trained for years to complete one of the the toughest coming-of-age hunter rituals the world has to offer. You kind of can't argue with it, she's going to be successful

unless I accidentally make her tumble off a cliff while fighting a pack of glinthawks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

You have it the other way around, the last Sun King was a murderer until Avad murdered him and is trying to make amends

Right, but Avad hasn't been king that long, has he? I thought he had been king for like 2 years, and the Red Raids and human sacrifice started like 20 years ago. Like he started the sacrifices in response to the corruption (there was a cooler word for this, I forget what it was).

edit: v I like that too.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 13, 2017

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I appreciated that Meridian was a recently-liberated society that had its own heroes, and it wasn't like it was waiting for Aloy to come save them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Where are people getting Rost backstory?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Snak posted:

You can ask Teersa about him when you come back to Nora lands for Plot.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snak posted:

You talk to Neersa when you go back to Mother's Heart, apparently. Really dumb to leave such a big thing in an optional dialogue when you're supposed to head in and out of the vault.

It's because stuff like this that I redownloaded the game to catch some of the things they hid a little too well. I didn't know there were Vantage logs in the collectibles menu either, apparently, so I'll also be checking that out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I talked to everyone all the time. What the gently caress. I can probably still go do it, though.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Snak posted:

I talked to everyone all the time. What the gently caress. I can probably still go do it, though.

I didn't talk to her until just before the last mission so it's always available.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Snak posted:

There are a few people that will give you exposition dumps if you let them, but near as I can tell they're all completely optional. The way they do it is kinda interesting, too: the expo dump is segmented, so at multiple points if you're not interested, you can just bail on the conversation. I don't know why you'd do that if you already said you wanted to hear it, but at least you're not stuck watching someone jabber at you for five minutes without interruption.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SamBishop posted:

There are a few people that will give you exposition dumps if you let them, but near as I can tell they're all completely optional. The way they do it is kinda interesting, too: the expo dump is segmented, so at multiple points if you're not interested, you can just bail on the conversation. I don't know why you'd do that if you already said you wanted to hear it, but at least you're not stuck watching someone jabber at you for five minutes without interruption.

There were a few times when I realized someone was going to go on for loving ever, and I had thought it was just a quick statement, so I bailed on the conversation and came back later.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

On a similar note the Logic choice for Helis' death is just soooo perfect.

Helis: Gears up for a long rambling exposition on how this shouldn't have happened

Aloy: "I don't time for this" SPEAR

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I chose the fist response against Helis and it was hella cold, Aloy is just like "nobody will remember or care about your dumb rear end" while she twists the knife.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Y'know, I don't think there was ever any major reference to your conversation choices. You get an occasional offhand mention of a previous action only when it makes sense and only among those who were present. I was ready to be really mad at some "oh yeah you should have picked heart more often instead of 50/50 logic/heart," sort of thing, but it never came. I appreciated that aversion of the morality meter problem.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I picked the fist when Rost said goodbye to Aloy, she threw his charm on the ground and told him it wasn't worth anything and he wasn't worth anything. She picked it up as soon as he turned away (pro characterization) and then tearfully apologized for it at his grave (extremely pro characterization).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, whats the thing in the post credits? Is that the center of the source of the tentacles? Some sort of mega destruction bot?

I was a little disappointed that the fate of Ted Faro was either not addressed or I missed it. I did not find the log that talks about his bunker though so I may have just passed over it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 14, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

So, whats the thing in the post credits? Is that the center of the source of the tentacles? Some sort of mega destruction bot?

That's one of the "Metal Devils," which were specially designed bunker buster robots. You see a few of them throughout the game world, with HADES originally occupying one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So those were designed by the (old world) machines then? Or possibly Hades? Not faro though, right?

Obviously it's hard to miss the tentacles but I never noticed the actual body on one when playing the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There were 3 types of robots described in the Faro building, Scarabs/Corruptors, Deathbringers, and Metal Devils. I'm pretty sure, based on the pictures. I can't remember the Faro names for Deathbringers and Metal Devils. But the big tentacles are part of the one that's a mobile factory that builds the swarm, including Deathbringers and Corruptors. Presumably if one ever got up and running again, it would be like a mobile war cauldron.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Metal Devils were called Horus iirc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yep that sounds right.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The Chariot line bots we saw were the Scarab (Corruptor), Khopesh (Deathbringer), and Horus (Metal Devil).

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Hi here are some pics:

Eyud fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 14, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The Chariot line bots we saw were the Scarab (Corruptor), Khopesh (Deathbringer), and Horus (Metal Devil).

Yeah, so to go back to clarifying to answer to the original question: HADES was housed in a Horus unit, right? Not some other, different thing?

and god drat, those pics are good. I've taken a few, but nothing like those...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice pics. I've got like 200 I need to sort through tomorrow. I kind of want go back and just hunt for good screenshots since I 100% and still want an excuse to play haha. I noticed a lot of people including myself mostly go for the pretty landscapes but I want to try for some cool action shots too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Snak posted:

Yeah, so to go back to clarifying to answer to the original question: HADES was housed in a Horus unit, right? Not some other, different thing?

Yah it was a Horus

https://youtu.be/3loUNkhtKEY

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I was a little disappointed that the fate of Ted Faro was either not addressed or I missed it. I did not find the log that talks about his bunker though so I may have just passed over it.

They have quite a bit of exposition about his bunker, there was more than one log about it. It's called Thebes and it's supposed to be extremely expensive. Everyone supposes that he was going to live his last days in debauchery or something but my theory is that it's quite likely he was trying to achieve some sort of clinical immortality or cryogenics to see the post zero dawn world. With the future technology and unlimited resources, it probably was possible for him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Eyud posted:

Hi here are some pics:
I found out the other day that you can append a size modifier to an Imgur link, so using h or l with a direct link instead of using timg would result in some more easily viewable images:

It's next to impossible to view timgs otherwise, even when expanded.

It also looks like SA added a max-width: 100% to images, so they don't break tables anymore, except in previews.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why not just choose a thumbnail size on imgur?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I picked the fist when Rost said goodbye to Aloy, she threw his charm on the ground and told him it wasn't worth anything and he wasn't worth anything. She picked it up as soon as he turned away (pro characterization) and then tearfully apologized for it at his grave (extremely pro characterization).

I chose this response on a second run, having taken the brain option for most of my first playthrough, and was really surprised by it. Great moment with some really well-done voice work.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Snak posted:

I think they referred to it as a horus class titan. Titan being the general 'manufacturer/base' and 'horus' being the specific Faro design. There were some vague references to the competition Faro had, which presumably means there were other less successful giant metal tentacle monsters.

One thing I was a little curious about is why the horus at mother's heart is there. Theoretically the cradle is supposed to be hidden. What situation would have lead to the horus making a fancy skylight in the antechamber, yet not actually destroying the facility. Did Gaia press the 'disable robutt' button right as it was about to find/destroy the cradle?

Maybe it's just there because it looks really neat.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

vosk posted:

I think they referred to it as a horus class titan. Titan being the general 'manufacturer/base' and 'horus' being the specific Faro design. There were some vague references to the competition Faro had, which presumably means there were other less successful giant metal tentacle monsters.

One thing I was a little curious about is why the horus at mother's heart is there. Theoretically the cradle is supposed to be hidden. What situation would have lead to the horus making a fancy skylight in the antechamber, yet not actually destroying the facility. Did Gaia press the 'disable robutt' button right as it was about to find/destroy the cradle?

Maybe it's just there because it looks really neat.

Yeah, I was assuming the Horus models were designed as literal bunker busters, and NORAD was no doubt sending out a whole bunch of enticing data that acted as a signal flare for the Horus to start trying to break in. That's why there's a whole mess of downed tentacles that you can see up in the mountains (even on the map). GAIA was able to send out a deactivation command that stopped all of them, and that's where they lie now.

Since the swarm fed on biomass, I guess it's also possible that given all the hardened terrain that they were never able to actually sustain themselves and succumbed to the harsher conditions in the mountains, but I'd like to think that all those tentacles are meant to sort of show that Zero Dawn was a success and that GAIA was finally able to crack the code and deactivate 'em a few hundred years into the reset. Even with the multiple attempts at rebuilding the world, the Horus models probably survived the terraforming process because, well, they were designed to break into fortresses.

All I know is whatever happened to all the ones up north, that would have been terrifying seeing multiple tentacled robotic creatures spilling over the peaks. If anyone was around to witness that, I wouldn't blame 'em for being literally scared to death.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I thought the Horuses were designed to replicate the Scarab and Khopesh robots rather than specifically to seek out bunkers. I guess they can have multiple purposes given the giant tentacles and how they seem to be hovering over each mountain base.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Shoren posted:

I thought the Horuses were designed to replicate the Scarab and Khopesh robots rather than specifically to seek out bunkers. I guess they can have multiple purposes given the giant tentacles and how they seem to be hovering over each mountain base.

I think they're both. They're essentially mobile mass-weapon factories that are themselves terrifying weapons of mass destruction. Sold to transnational companies and nations to uh help people. Yeah. Great job Ted.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

ufarn posted:

I found out the other day that you can append a size modifier to an Imgur link, so using h or l with a direct link instead of using timg would result in some more easily viewable images:

It's next to impossible to view timgs otherwise, even when expanded.

It also looks like SA added a max-width: 100% to images, so they don't break tables anymore, except in previews.

Yeah good call, I also had forgotten that those were all 4K and probably took forever to load on slow connections.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't think Ted caused the Glitch. His culpability and guilt stems from not putting a killswitch into the robotic plague that cannot be stopped. My guess is that both the destruction of Far Zenith and the Glitch are alien in origin, and future content will feature the protagonist bringing the other "gods" back on line/in line, all while engaging with APOLLO, which explicitly has a gamified curriculum . . . to fight aliens and robots. As the protagonist(s) learn more, they access higher levels of technology, giving us an excuse for power-ups over several games without having to lose a popular character or have them get amnesia.

I also think allusion to a "Lightkeeper Protocol," a hypothetical-but-dismissed program which had to do with cloning means that, with Ted Faro/Pharaoh, we will have to fight some mad clone(s) of him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Lightkeeper protocol was a contingency plan to generate clones of the Alphas so that they could continue maintaining GAIA as she figured out a way to shut down the robot swarm. It was eventually shot down by Sobeck but not before they built an Elysium-lite facility at GAIA Prime to house the Alphas, which ended up becoming necessary as they ran out of time to complete Zero Dawn. Ultimately GAIA did incubate a clone of Sobeck when her systems went all screwy ~19 years ago. As for whether or not Ted's genetic material was also saved, it's certainly possible. He seemed to have high-level access to everything else in Zero Dawn, despite better judgment suggesting that perhaps this might be a bad idea.

As for the "real" cause behind the Glitch that Sobeck alludes to at Watcher's End, I just took that to mean Faro deliberately knew the robots would be aggressive and consume biomass as fuel. He just probably thought he was in enough control to play his national + corporate benefactors against one another.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The fact the other Alphas don't know what, exactly, Ted Faro is doing, other than bugging them for updates, leaves him open to doing pretty much anything, since it's also established that he isn't on the same page as anyone else, rules- and protocols-wise. Ensuring his plan comes to fruition via clones is kinda small, really, compared to wiping out all human knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hades spliced Ted Faro's genes with his favorite classic actor Cedric Daniels.

• Locked thread