Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
For Madarame, the remake added a second phase where he spawns lovely elemental clones constantly so the idea is you have to chain together a full baton pass and then have Ryuji (whoever) finish up by punching him with the fury of an wrathful god. Which is a neat gimmick I guess but I much prefer the original single phase version, it was the hardest and most satisfying boss battle in the original for me.

Maybe they'll do something interesting for Kaneshiro at least, that guy was really boring. And Okumura too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hard pass from me. I loved Persona 4, so Golden was a welcome revisit of the game. Persona 5 had some issues, I'd rather just get platinum in the original game than play a slightly improved remake of it. Bring on Persona Lu Bu.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sapozhnik posted:

For Madarame, the remake added a second phase where he spawns lovely elemental clones constantly so the idea is you have to chain together a full baton pass and then have Ryuji (whoever) finish up by punching him with the fury of an wrathful god. Which is a neat gimmick I guess but I much prefer the original single phase version, it was the hardest and most satisfying boss battle in the original for me.

Maybe they'll do something interesting for Kaneshiro at least, that guy was really boring. And Okumura too I guess.

All things considered Yusuke is kind of designed to be baton passed to, even at that point. So that's at least kind of neat/fitting?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

Okumura has a robot version of Haru with him in Royal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
All the Dungeons have been remixed and there are more activities and such in free time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also after every interminably drawn out social event you do you now get a phone call where the interactee talks about even more interminable bullshit

apparently somebody on p5r's dev team really thought that a major problem with p5 was that it didn't have enough filler.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
now he's free to spread plague!

the plague of not finishing your book!

e: just realized this is the wrong thread for this but its also funny so

HIJK fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 16, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're curious about how they changed the scene with the gay predators:

https://twitter.com/Shock_and_Roll/status/1239917795531460610?s=19

Like, they're not loving with the models so there's only so much they can do, but it's not terrible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I guess it’s a better form of stereotyping than before, for whatever that’s worth.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Looks like the English localization renamed the characters to Julian (from Juliana) and Angel (from Angela). (They didn't have names in the base game, but the Japanese release of Royal also altered their dialogue, though not in the same fashion as the English release of Royal based on these screenshots. The Royal revisions removed the monster references and instead cast Juliana and Angela as the "faeries of Shinjuku".)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

If you're curious about how they changed the scene with the gay predators:

https://twitter.com/Shock_and_Roll/status/1239917795531460610?s=19

Like, they're not loving with the models so there's only so much they can do, but it's not terrible.

I mean... it is an improvement. I'll give them that. It's still not good, but for something coming out of Japan it's legitimately better than I would expect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stroth posted:

I mean... it is an improvement. I'll give them that. It's still not good, but for something coming out of Japan it's legitimately better than I would expect.
the japanese aren't backwards homophobes with no understanding of social norms relating to gay people

there is a vibrant community of gay artists in japan

there are plenty of mainstream creators in japan who show empathy and understanding towards gay people both in their work and personal conduct, even if they don't belong to that community

japan is not uniquely worse than america in this regard

when you say stuff like this you're both demeaning all those people and giving poo poo like this a pass

here is an interview with a japanese transwoman who makes indie games i'd advise you to read.

quote:

With last year’s game, The Missing, there was a lot of western commentary that was along the lines of “it’s great to see something so thoughtful and sensitive about LGBT+ issues from a dev in Japan, which struggles with those issues,” as though we don’t have the same issues.

Oh that’s…. not a great way of framing it.

It’s a very very common framing here. There’s multiple variations on the same thing from different outlets, on top of the way it gets casually deployed in conversation.

I mean, I can list very many media in English that aren’t great about LGBT+ rep and very many issues my LGBT+ friends living in North America and Europe have.

There’s very little acknowledgement of the difference in problems and positive aspects.

I think it’s just a very different set of problems. There are also a lot of very good Japanese media with LGBT+ rep. It’s just that sometimes these aren’t translated.

quote:

But I mean, that’s just it – we get great LGBT+ rep in some media and we get awful in some others, and we get people fighting for equal rights (like gay marriage) while we also get politicians saying women are causing witch hunts with MeToo.

But that’s just how things are in, say, America, aren’t they?

You wouldn’t have to change a word.

I think it’s… unfair isn’t the right word, but online, the rhetoric is often very dominated by American citizens. People from the U.S. dictate whether something is ‘good rep’ or something is ‘bad rep,’ if something is ‘problematic’ or not.

There’s a tendency here to buy into the idea that we lead the way on everything, even by progressive leaning people.

Criticize this kind of thing as the exceptionally stupid poo poo that it is, don't write off an entire country's art and the beautiful, brilliant stuff it's created because an AAA game had lovely side characters in it. Marvel's had bad gay/trans rep this year and saying it's 'better than I'd expect from America' would be ludicrous.

I'm sorry if I seem mad about this but as a gay person who's barely ever felt seen by western gay art but has gotten a ton out of stuff coming out of Japan, this sorta response is intensely frustrating.

in conclusion, 'so, wanna go out, or' is a good manga

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 19, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've seen so much bullshit from the usual crowd claiming that Hoshino's homophobia is completely normal and the way things are in Japan.

Apparently the Japanese version of Royale also toned those characters down according to the replies to that thread which kinda wrecks the entire false narrative the bigots are trying to push.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm sorry if I seem mad about this but as a gay person who's barely ever felt seen by western gay art but has gotten a ton out of stuff coming out of Japan, this sorta response is intensely frustrating.
I don't think you need to apologise for that.

And I'm not just saying that because it annoys me too.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Also outside of game/anime stuff, one of the most popular/ubiquitous mainstream TV personalities in Japan who appears in tons of TV shows and commercials is a transwoman, considering things like that it is annoying when people automatically assume that Japan is bad regarding LGBT issues when it may be more progressive in some cases.
In other news P5S is really good, my only real complaint with it is that the loading times on Switch are awful. Not sure if the PS4 version is better about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

switch has pretty bad load times generally compared to disc based games, its something i noticed in a fair few games. seems like just an issue of the hardware. maybe its the weird carts they use, though traditionally carts have been better about load times, not worse

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

switch has pretty bad load times generally compared to disc based games, its something i noticed in a fair few games. seems like just an issue of the hardware. maybe its the weird carts they use, though traditionally carts have been better about load times, not worse

The read speed I see for a switch using a MicroSD card is slower than even a platter drive by a fair amount. 80 MB/sec is slow as hell.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Endorph posted:

the japanese aren't backwards homophobes with no understanding of social norms relating to gay people

Gay culture in Japan is a long and interesting history that gets erased every time katsura hashino does a thing. Dude's just awful and i'm really looking forward to him not being involved in the next game.

This wasn't even a problem in the series until P3. Tatsuya and Jun's whole deal in Persona 2 was well written and realistic. Hashino just sucks, I hope Shoji Meguro has it in him to direct another Persona.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually read a pretty interesting take on Erica from Catherine from a trans woman who praised the character for not being defined by her trans-ness or trauma. Even the weird comments she gets from the rest of the group were explained as both "Vincent's a dick" and "while it sucks it's kind of realistic in that regard." One of the main sticking points was the game resisting the impulse to show her pre-transition. And then, in a classic Hashino move, guess what they do in Full Body, lmao

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 21, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arist posted:

And then, in a classic Hashino move, guess what they do in Full Body, lmao

Persona is generally like "well it's an astounding game that's worth playing but you have to ignore a few scenes"

Full Body was like "okay nope, full stop i'm ejecting this poo poo out of my PS4 and flinging it away from me as hard as I can"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
even if you disregard the regressive stuff, the added material in full body was so loving stupid

just look at the reveal of the "angels" in qatherine's scenario, it's this shrill, juvenile, witless bullshit that's somehow incongruous even in a game rated T

the same applies to p5 royal from what i've seen and heard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I actually read a pretty interesting take on Erica from Catherine from a trans woman who praised the character for not being defined by her trans-ness or trauma. Even the weird comments she gets from the rest of the group were explained as both "Vincent's a dick" and "while it sucks it's kind of realistic in that regard." One of the main sticking points was the game resisting the impulse to show her pre-transition. And then, in a classic Hashino move, guess what they do in Full Body, lmao
In OG catherine Erica is mishandled a lot but there was a clear intent to have her be a character of some value. You can kinda get something out of her

Then, yeah, full body

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Still wondering if I should grab the ultimate edition for all the DLC... they haven't given any indication what's in those 6 DLC packs have they?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is the DLC for the basic version of the game compatible with Royal? I think I got some of it so it'd be good if it worked in Royal as well.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

thebardyspoon posted:

Is the DLC for the basic version of the game compatible with Royal? I think I got some of it so it'd be good if it worked in Royal as well.

They included it all in Royal as a free bonus. Which does kinda suck for those of us that bought the original's DLC.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Was there any DLC besides costumes and personas from other games?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Item Getter posted:

Was there any DLC besides costumes and personas from other games?

Other than a free item pack or two, I don't think so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

seiferguy posted:

Still wondering if I should grab the ultimate edition for all the DLC... they haven't given any indication what's in those 6 DLC packs have they?

Some new costumes, some battle packs that I have no idea the contents of, and new Personas, I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the battle packs are boss fights against yu and minato, i think

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So apparently the release date for Royal got moved to today here in Australia, don't know if it's retailers saying gently caress it or will end up being universal?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We should probably a new thread just to detail some of the changes in the OP so there's an easier source of information on that stuff. I also hear that there's possibly some sort of requirement in terms of Confidants for the new chapter, so that should go in there too if so.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

screaden posted:

So apparently the release date for Royal got moved to today here in Australia, don't know if it's retailers saying gently caress it or will end up being universal?

In Australia they are trying to get rid of it before retail gets shuttered. Might happen in other places who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I threw together a bad thread for Royal here, just to cover some of the base questions people might have:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918515