Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I played the gently caress out of the first game but ran out of steam in the second big area, or whichever bit was the pretty part of Mordor.

Also those dogs that could go up vertical cliffs were cool.

Also also that slide tackle you could do. I liked just decking an orc with that and then running away. At least, I think that was this. Could've just been Batman. I remember doing it in that too.

It'd be nice if you could get some kind of run fast power this time. I know there was one but I seem to remember it being disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I do wonder where the story can really go in this game. We can't actually conquer Mordor and Gondor before the events of lotr even happen.

I'd honestly prefer it if they just straight up went with an alternate universe or something. Having to fit the established canon will only stifle more interesting ideas.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I do wonder where the story can really go in this game. We can't actually conquer Mordor and Gondor before the events of lotr even happen.

I think it will be something along these lines towards the end:

-Defeats Saurons body-

"Now all must learn our peaceful ways... by force!"

-Saurons spirit works it's own magic via the Nazgul spirits and forces the seperation of Celebrimbor and Talion-

"Argghhh"

"Now I will have your new ring and use it to empower me as lord of badness"

"No you will not!" and then talion jumps into the lava pit with the new ring.

Then if they need to make a sequel they just re-make the "Legacy of Kain: Soulreaver" opening.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Probably some kind of puppet situation where Sauron is using you to unite an army for himself. I mean that's what I thought watching the gameplay video.

BUt in reality who cares? You get to command an army of orcs against other orcs

Oh yeah it's just an idle curiosity. I am going to orc the poo poo out of middle earth.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zarah posted:

I'd honestly prefer it if they just straight up went with an alternate universe or something. Having to fit the established canon will only stifle more interesting ideas.

It's all so ridiculously off-book--content and tone wise--that I'm pretty sure these games would have been set in some made up fantasy world if not for WB's mandate for synergistic brand design solutions, AKA "everything's gotta tie into our movie IPs somehow!"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mordja posted:

It's all so ridiculously off-book--content and tone wise--that I'm pretty sure these games would have been set in some made up fantasy world if not for WB's mandate for synergistic brand design solutions, AKA "everything's gotta tie into our movie IPs somehow!"

Yeah the "established canon" was nowhere in sight of SoM and this is taking it even further (which, as a huge LOTR nerd, im totally fine with). It's exactly what LOTR: Online did and what you have to do to make an interesting game...bring it on, let me fight and tame Balrogs. Go all out, there's tons of cool poo poo in LOTR lore to mine for fun video games.

theres even a quote from JRR Tolkein that I can't find about how he imagined other authors picking up the LOTR universe and writing in it and how absurd that seemed (as if anyone would ever care enough to do it). Oh if only you could be around to see what's come of your work, professor...

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 9, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

my bony fealty posted:

bring it on, let me fight and tame Balrogs

God, I hope so.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I found this nice little interview with an art director. He talked about some additional stuff I think you all would find interesting.

http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/08/shadow-of-wars-art-director-on-just-how-big-the-new-middle-earth-game-will-be/

Also they revealed there will be difficulty modes in an interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EkwyTlXY_U).

Couple highlights:

looks loving great. the one part of the inteview that hyped me is that they are moving away they are basically joining the campaign and the nemesis system together. no prenoted enimes and new overlords and captains can be born out of grunts like in 1.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Difficulty modes is the best news for this. To get the most out of the nemesis system, you really need the game to be a challenge for whatever your skill level is. Intentionally gimping your dude just isn't the same.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Easterlings look so badass yet we never got to see them fight in the films. It would be ace if we could get them in this game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BillBear posted:

Easterlings look so badass yet we never got to see them fight in the films. It would be ace if we could get them in this game.

yeah, i hope easterlings are in it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
It looks like we can do more with Celebrimbor in this game, it looked like he had some sort of wraith spear and that just makes me super excited.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Makin' me want to replay SoM. Alternatively, makin' me want to Rip van Winkle my way to August.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/shadow-of-wars-dev-on-new-nemesis-system-movie-con/1100-6448595/

Here's an interview with one of the developers about the game. Don't think it's been linked yet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lprsti99 posted:

Makin' me want to replay SoM. Alternatively, makin' me want to Rip van Winkle my way to August.
It would be a good excuse to try the expansions. Because having to do the same thing after the main game with new skins, does get really tiresome. Whoever thought that putting orcs in full armor so that captains everyone looks the same at a distance, should not be allowed to give input.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/shadow-of-wars-dev-on-new-nemesis-system-movie-con/1100-6448595/

Here's an interview with one of the developers about the game. Don't think it's been linked yet.

I guess it would make sense that we're not rear end deep in Balrogs all the time, given that there's like, five of them left or something, but still kind of a bummer.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If my understanding of timezones is correct (it should be the same time at the same time all over the world imho), the first Shadow of War livestream starts in about 30 minutes over at: https://www.twitch.tv/monolithlive

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I'm replaying Shadow of Mordor and wow, it really should have had difficulty settings. Glad Shadow of War(dor) is getting them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Stream is up now!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Doesn't look like they're actually answering questions or looking at the chat.

If someone is around when they do start answering questions, can they ask my question about whether the Orc Champions and stuff are cosmetic or actual stats, and whether they are opt-in or not?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Stream had a buttload of information, was pleasantly surprised at how long it went on, but there was nothing really super major.

If you missed it you can watch the VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127773772
They went through the trailers and talked about them followed by ca 1 hour or so of QA.

Things i cared about enough to remember:

Difficulty settings - easy, normal, hard
Seem to have taken to heart the criticism of small maps from the original and have made much larger and plentiful maps
Talion will grow out his beard again

Also there was something about getting special "tribes" of orks from the Gold Edition of the game? But no real info on what a tribe is and what the exclusive gold edition ones are like.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 11, 2017

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

So each map is going to contain strongholds, side activities, AND the fortress. Might get repetitive after a while.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That all sounds like old news. I'll have to watch the video.
It comes out around my birthday.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qre0RyY0gMQ

:cry:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Josef bugman posted:

This looks incredible. But I am going to do what I did in the last game and just not get any of the health upgrades at all. That way I can be sure I am going to die in one hit and it forces me to play a bit better.

Yep. Don't buy the power ups, turn off the attack prompts if you want, and suddenly the game is much, much different.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

peer posted:

Looks like maybe they're playing up the "bright lord" part of the player character a little bit more? I hope so, elf dude was cool and main dude was hella boring.

I liked playing as the evil guy or lady skin more and just pretended I wasn't boring ranger guy

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

clone on the phone posted:

I liked playing as the evil guy or lady skin more and just pretended I wasn't boring ranger guy
Speaking of which, on the stream they mentioned the 2 story DLCs in the gold edition, Blade of Galadriel and Desolation of Mordor, both have different playable characters.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you lost me when you compared the first one to batman instead of assassins creed

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

jynn posted:

you lost me when you compared the first one to batman instead of assassins creed

It was far closer to Batman than Assassin's Creed, so you were probably lost way before then.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My theory is that Talion is who eventually becomes The Mouth of Sauron, and this is all plot by Sauron to unite the Orcs under him so that when he returns he doesn't have to go around lopping off chieftain heads himself.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Omnicarus posted:

My theory is that Talion is who eventually becomes The Mouth of Sauron, and this is all plot by Sauron to unite the Orcs under him so that when he returns he doesn't have to go around lopping off chieftain heads himself.

Haha, yes! That would be really funny, the ending cinematic just being Aragorn unceremoniously lopping off your head.

Edit: Was more of a joke, but i wouldn't mind the character going in that direction really. Maybe get a third game where we truly go dark side and then die/horribly break canon at the end. The Mouth of Sauron as he was in the movies is a really cool character. I can't imagine the devs taking the game this direction tho :P

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 12, 2017

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I hope they go full fanfiction and disregard the events of lotr. Do something like Telltale's Batman games, who deviate from canon to avoid telling a story already told.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LupusAter posted:

I hope they go full fanfiction and disregard the events of lotr. Do something like Telltale's Batman games, who deviate from canon to avoid telling a story already told.

Yeah, this would be my preference. I don't really like the trope of the ending revealing that you were the bad guys pawn the whole time and the game was pointless or actively detrimental. You want to use that cliche as your preface to the boss fight? Sure, whatever, I still get to kill the bad guy. But to just spend the entire game trolling to player so even their victory is a defeat? gently caress off, it's a game, you're not being witty or creative.

[EDIT]Not counting games where the default ending is like that but the player can earn a Good Ending through enough effort or perfection of play.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, this would be my preference. I don't really like the trope of the ending revealing that you were the bad guys pawn the whole time and the game was pointless or actively detrimental. You want to use that cliche as your preface to the boss fight? Sure, whatever, I still get to kill the bad guy. But to just spend the entire game trolling to player so even their victory is a defeat? gently caress off, it's a game, you're not being witty or creative.

I just played through Bright Lord and it's basically this. You're a total badass with the One Ring, and you kill everyone twice (including Sauron) and then scwhoops you're a wraith forever.

I found Bright Lord to be significantly harder than the main campaign, and I died a whole bunch of times. I played Lord of the Hunt right before it and I don't think I even died once, and basically had to try hard to die in the main campaign.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I don't think Celebrimbor and Talion know that Sauron has bound his life-force into a nigh indestructible ring of power. Wouldn't surprise me if you destroy Sauron's body at the end of SoW, but surprise, some little dude named Bilbo has the Ring in the Shire so he's not really dead!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AngryBooch posted:

I don't think Celebrimbor and Talion know that Sauron has bound his life-force into a nigh indestructible ring of power. Wouldn't surprise me if you destroy Sauron's body at the end of SoW, but surprise, some little dude named Bilbo has the Ring in the Shire so he's not really dead!

See, that would be fine. You get your victory, story goes on. Like Castlevania.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

thats kinda what i expect will happen. he will "kill" sauron and render him into just a eye. or maybe they go full inglorious bastards. either way will be a blast.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

or maybe they go full inglorious bastards.

But how do we lure Sauron into the theater?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I just hope we don't gotta fight in a loving basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zaodai posted:

But how do we lure Sauron into the theater?

Make a movie about a national orc sniper hero

• Locked thread