Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

One of my favorite parts of the Nemesis system was being surprised by one showing up! I'd be fighting a group of Orks and one would push his way to the front of the mooks, slam his weapon into mine, then bam Nemesis screen. I think it was right before fighting The Hand that I was in front of the Black Gate fighting a shitload of Orcs and a Nemesis of mine ran right up behind me, pushed a bunch of runts out of the way, and punched me right in the back of the head. That's how I recall it, anyway.

I think the system is great and I can't wait to see how they've shored it up in SoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sindai posted:

Branding is no longer 100% mind control to allow for more kinds of interaction. The specific example he gave was that if you brand an orc and then kill his best friend who still works for Sauron, he might hate you enough to betray you.

Also I think that earlier they said pretty definitively that the nemesis system only contains orcs and the huge orcs, so even if humans appear at some point it's going to be limited.

branding in one was basicaly manchurian canidating them, and then either poping their heads or sending them on murder sprees. the new one seems to be more subtle, more like replacing the loyalty of sauron with loyalty to you. idk whatever will be fun.

Epi Lepi posted:

Branding humans is a bit... off-putting, though it really shouldn't be any more off-putting than branding orcs is.

How much of the stream do I have to watch to see all of this? I guess its from the interview before the speed trial?

Also has anyone made it through the second stream, the Q&A one? Is it worth watching at all?

maybe. i assume its easterling/hadrad/or black numnerions.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zore posted:

The Nemesis system works because of the extreme focus on individual orcs, the variance in their abilities and the fact that the vast majority of game missions boild down to killing or branding them. Literally none of that applies to GTA.

It's like that because they don't have individual gangsters in GTA. That could easily be added. You can kill people already and it wouldn't be hard to add literal branding and beatdowns to convert gangsters. The 'Nemesis System' can apply to literally any game featuring adversaries of any sort, no matter the nature. Yes it may differ in execution, but the basis can be the same and still work perfectly fine.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have a tiny minuscule faint glimmer of hope that we get to see Boromir now that we are moving closer to Gondor, it's so unlikely, but i would be so happy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bormir's what, mid-30s in Fellowship? Between Hobbit and that is what, 70 years? Probably no dice.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
We are at around the Hobbit timeline in this game? I missed that. Well, maybe we can drive Denethor mad then :mrgw:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah they've said they're both shifting the timeline from the first game and playing it a bit loose for SoW, so it's not an impossibility since they've said we'll be seeing other LotR characters, but I sort of doubt it'd be any of the main Fellowship humans.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Has to be some time after The Hobbit in any case, since Gollum had already made it to Mordor looking for the ring in the first one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
In the books the timeline for that is really weird and hosed up too. After Gollum encounters Bilbo it takes him 30 years to get to Mordor where he skulks around for another 30 before finally being caught and tortured by Sauron's forces.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zore posted:

In the books the timeline for that is really weird and hosed up too. After Gollum encounters Bilbo it takes him 30 years to get to Mordor where he skulks around for another 30 before finally being caught and tortured by Sauron's forces.

Yeah, i've always been confused about that part of the lore. At least it gives this series of games a lot of leeway to do what they want.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's like that because they don't have individual gangsters in GTA. That could easily be added. You can kill people already and it wouldn't be hard to add literal branding and beatdowns to convert gangsters. The 'Nemesis System' can apply to literally any game featuring adversaries of any sort, no matter the nature. Yes it may differ in execution, but the basis can be the same and still work perfectly fine.

this would work much better in a game like Sleeping Dogs, where most bad guys are usually just knocked out or brutalized, unlike GTA where most bad guys are perforated in a hail of bullets. Like you cant have a GTA mook show up like "oh you shot me in the head multiple times and blew up my unconscious body, now I'm back!"

also RIP sleepy dogs

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I hope we see Tauriel and Legolas.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Start coding, get back to us when you've implemented it.

Shadow of Mordor was built from the ground up to have these sort of memorable encounters. They took the appeal of the memorable enemies in the movie series as well as the Hobbit and implemented that into building a personal experience. It took years to get shadow of Mordor and in hindsight it seems almost a tech demo to what's about to be released.

Can it work? Sure, but that's just like trying to put the machines from zero Dawn into for honor because that kind of combat would be dope.

It can work, but with just tacking something on without consideration​ to what the game was built for, it's not going to be ideal and won't be as appreciated. At worst it would be annoying, at best its a mediocre supplement for the real thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I never said it'd be great, but it would be doable and would add to the game overall imho.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GTA is far closer to something like Contra than it is to something like SoM. A nemesis system would not improve a game where you can easily murder hordes of faceless mooks, because you have no reason to care and they don't live long enough to matter.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
You're already murdering hordes of faceless mooks in these games though...

Any word on whether or not there are any bonuses for having a save file for Mordor? I'm planning to get this for a different system.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Any word on whether or not there are any bonuses for having a save file for Mordor?

Nothing yet afaik.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nothing yet, and Monolith has never been big on that idea.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Stream going on now and they said that they have heard that we are tried of hearing "can't talk about that" and now there "MAY BE questions asked in the past that WE CAN NOW ANSWER", lmao as if :v:
First question answered with "we can't answer that yet" :ironicat:

I do enjoy the streams tho, cause they are kinda chill, but they are still p dumb.

edit: actually no, this is terrible, except for when the guy that's always there almost said "heil hitler" when reading out the chat

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dongattack posted:

Stream going on now and they said that they have heard that we are tried of hearing "can't talk about that" and now there "MAY BE questions asked in the past that WE CAN NOW ANSWER", lmao as if :v:
First question answered with "we can't answer that yet" :ironicat:

I do enjoy the streams tho, cause they are kinda chill, but they are still p dumb.

edit: actually no, this is terrible, except for when the guy that's always there almost said "heil hitler" when reading out the chat

They are also very bad at Shadow of Mordor.

... it hurts to watch and I'm not even that good at the game.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Something i've never seen before happened in SoM just now, normal uruks so paranoid about brands that they attacked and killed each other. None of them were branded tho :tinfoil:

Can't wait for late August.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was it part of an event or just something that happened in the open world? I never saw that either.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sindai posted:

Was it part of an event or just something that happened in the open world? I never saw that either.

It just happened in the world. I was flailing around and i heard a uruk accusing another of being branded, then they attacked and killed each other while a crowd (+me) watched. It might be related to me being branding like insane in this game, none of these were branded tho.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hi I'm Orv, I get hyped so you don't have to.

Interesting things from last stream;

Online fortress sharing and attacking/defending. Probably not direct PvP mode, probably asymmetric.

Remember when I said they probably wouldn't do any save game carryover? Yeaaaaaaaah they are.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Hi I'm Orv, I get hyped so you don't have to.

Interesting things from last stream;

Online fortress sharing and attacking/defending. Probably not direct PvP mode, probably asymmetric.

Remember when I said they probably wouldn't do any save game carryover? Yeaaaaaaaah they are.

What are they carrying over did they say?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

What are they carrying over did they say?

Just one of their "we can't talk about that yet" which at this point I'm taking to mean "Yes, please stop asking, please".

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

As long as the online fortress stuff isn't like the loving F.O.B.s from MGSV,sounds OK to me. I hope the savegame stuff is your branded Warchiefs coming over. They probably get killed in the beginning of the game to get you to hate Generic Big Bad#214 or whoever the main not-Sauron dude is.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I think i'll opt out of stuff from SoM carrying over if i can, i failed to generate any meaningful captains and i don't want any power increases that might make the game easier. Now if there is some cosmetic stuff however :mrgw:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think a bunch of level 20 runes would ruin the early game, unless hard mode makes orcs into meatwalls.
I would like a return of the FOBs, only it is army versus army. Just so long as there are no timers to build stuff.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd honestly love the chance to import one captain (if you wanted to) into SoW. 1-2 would kind of be your sweet spot, more than that would just be wiping out new guys you could meet. One holdover as a bodyguard or something (fluff-wise) would be great. He wouldn't even have to be much (or any) stronger than the other starting captains, he could just have different story stuff and pull the name/looks from SoM.

I don't really want runes/gear/whatever to transfer over, and I hope that any skills that would have transferred between games would just be opened as a baseline.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Surprise, the SoM save game goody is Ratbags rotting corpse as decoration in your fortresses!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Surprise, the SoM save game goody is Ratbags rotting corpse as decoration in your fortresses!

Perfect.

edit: would also accepted a huge pile of all the heads i chopped off in SoM

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dongattack posted:

Perfect.

edit: would also accepted a huge pile of all the heads i chopped off in SoM

I see we are going for the "Skull Throne" motif.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm really pumped that this is going to be Buy Once Play Anywhere. It's definitely a gamepad game but I know it's going to be 30fps on consoles until Scorpio comes out. Now I don't have to choose like I did with Ori and the Blind Forest.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I'm really pumped that this is going to be Buy Once Play Anywhere. It's definitely a gamepad game but I know it's going to be 30fps on consoles until Scorpio comes out. Now I don't have to choose like I did with Ori and the Blind Forest.

Uh what.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shumagorath posted:

You know the PS4 Pro exists,right?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dongattack posted:

What do you guys that are replaying the original think about the nemesis system there in retrospect? I'm replaying too and i just can't get the nemesis system to actually do anything cool for me, nobody coming back to life, getting burned or maimed. Hope they beef it up like gently caress for SoW, it seems like they are tho.
I had one triple immune with wicked poison arrows who killed me so many times he ended up leading the army you fight at the end of the game. Didn't realize that I could have just bombed a campfire or grog barrel to weaken him, so every time we met I had to spend ten minutes shanking him to death.

Orv posted:

Uh what.
If you buy this game on the Windows Store you can play it on your PC and XBox with cloud save syncing. I do it with Forza Horizon 3 and it's great - play from the couch at 30fps or play on my PC at 60fps for the really fast cars.

VolticSurge posted:

You know the PS4 Pro exists,right?
...and I don't own one? And would have to buy the game twice to play it both there and on my PC?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

New IGN gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRiVwYQvEk

Honestly looks really rough around the edges, must be a really early alpha build.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 11, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder what the deal is with that two-handed weapon we saw a second or two of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I haven't watched it yet, and will confirm when I do, but they've said that while Talion won't be getting weapon options (still dagger/sword/ghost bow), Celebrimbor will have various spirit weapon options, including his forging hammer, a spear and at least one other, possibly more.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread