Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

poo poo it's been so long since I saved. Oh god. the one on the. . . right? poo poo I don't know anymore. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Hurt posted:

poo poo it's been so long since I saved. Oh god. the one on the. . . right? poo poo I don't know anymore. gently caress.

Oh. I'm so sorry.

You are engulfed in flame. In your final moments, time seems to slow. Your clothes go first, your skin second, and the rest of you third. The explosion is obviously audible to every player on Myst. There is no evidence of your body. A blackened scar now taints the land formerly above the exploding gas pipe, leading from the building you were standing within directly into the forest. The gas in the pipe, once ignited, continues to cast flame into the air. The fail-safes originally constructed to specifically prevent such a catastrophe do not stop the gluttonous flame. Once the natural gas source deep under the island itself explodes, an earthquake rends an enormous chunk of the island into the sea. This is also obviously audible to every player on Myst, but note that this no longer includes you, as you have died.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

:drac: I guess you didn't Myst me. :drac:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
RIP Hurt, too beautiful for this world.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

##Pee in hurts grave

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Max posted:

##Pee in hurts grave

:drac: peeing in someone's grave takes a lot of extra time and effort. I guess you really do love me afterall, Max. :drac:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Confirming my signup for this game! :waycool:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm so excited.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Am I really signup #14 of 15? What a glorious creation this is.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Am I really signup #14 of 15? What a glorious creation this is.

With yours in, I have ten fully completed signups. Which I am honestly pretty touched and inspired by??

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

start it before the riots start

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I will likely sign up before the deadline but want to ensure my availability first

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
max when does your game start? I would like to presign

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

it's prudent to open sign ups a full year before your game starts, which is why im opening up sign ups here in this thread for my westworld game which will start april 1 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I applied properly this time

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Ok I applied properly this time

Aaaand that's all of RAMP, yeah?

This'll be fun.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't
This is amazing!! I love how the setting is suggestive of D'ni guild work. I've got at least partial availability on all three days, but is there a specific time we should expect to be engaged?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bagshotrow posted:

This is amazing!! I love how the setting is suggestive of D'ni guild work. I've got at least partial availability on all three days, but is there a specific time we should expect to be engaged?

There's a certain amount of social engagement that's critical to gameplay that, y'know, might just take a few minutes a day or might result in hours-long conversations. Different people do different things. For an example of what I'm talking about, think of the infamous boardgame Diplomacy. You can play Diplomacy very fast over 6-8 hours in a single day, or you can play it over the course of weeks. The slower you play, the more time people have to discuss things, theoretically the smarter their gameplay is - to a point.

I believe we could double the pace of this game and lose nothing strategically speaking, but that certain realities of forumgames (not the least of which is the existence of Australia) mean we can't have two game phases in a single day. People need enough time between movement to actually talk - even if that means everyone is sort of walking, looking around, seeing things, and then talking for a day while standing perfectly still.

For example, in Awful Survivor: Games, I spent 8 hours torturing one of my opponents in order to get him to focus on me and not on the fact that the vote was clearly him. And I didn't even have to. I just wanted to. It was a blood rage. Part of me regrets this. Part of me relishes the fact that I was... capable... of... it...

What were we talking about? Oh, right.

That said, I'm specifically building everything around the Hope that it's just a little bit of time, like 15 minutes asynchronously - with an obvious disadvantage problem around when EXACTLY puzzles drop. I'm waiting for all the timezone and availability data to come in before I decide how exactly to handle that. My goal is to maximize both open and secret cooperation and competition - making this a sort of an (admittedly slowmoving) immersive experience similar to an MMO.

A Myst MMO. Huh. It's a shame no one ever had that idea. Seems like money sitting on the table to me.

Anyway, I hope that both answers your question and makes the situation clear.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

A Myst MMO. Huh. It's a shame no one ever had that idea. Seems like money sitting on the table to me.

:confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst_Online:_Uru_Live

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

All I'm getting is a 404 and I have absolutely no idea what the devil you're talking about.

peramene fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 9, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Please leave.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I see what you people mean. Sheesh!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Pod fell for the trap

The trap of thinking a game exists when it very clearly does not

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

peramene posted:

For example, in Awful Survivor: Games, I spent 8 hours torturing one of my opponents in order to get him to focus on me and not on the fact that the vote was clearly him. And I didn't even have to. I just wanted to. It was a blood rage. Part of me regrets this. Part of me relishes the fact that I was... capable... of... it...

:shobon:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

:supaburn:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I have applied for the game. Never played Myst btw

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Make sure you don't bring the White page with you to the secret book, nothing good will happen if you do.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Make sure you don't bring the White page with you to the secret book, nothing good will happen if you do.

As you can all clearly see, the game is coming from inside the friends we made along the way.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I know a lot of you more advanced folks might be looking at how many apps there appear to be and thinking to yourselves, "oh no, I missed it."

Please apply if you would like to play and let me worry about the player cap. <3 More people is more work but it's also more fun, drama, and carnage.

Also, there's two of you who've applied but haven't posted in the thread. Please do so.

peramene fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 11, 2017

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
sup

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

There you are. <3

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGujaVI6gk

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This is delightful.

Get to digging, bitch.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWJPC11eAU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spoilers, the murderous psychopath that keeps a skull in his room on the ship shouldn't be trusted.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Spoilers, the murderous psychopath that keeps a skull in his room on the ship shouldn't be trusted.

You really love that skull.

Which reminds me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IzNKIHhp0

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U1PM-p3860

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Hello. This sounds astoundingly interesting.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

Hello. This sounds astoundingly interesting.

And that's everyone so far. The game is playable!

Feel free to continue submitting applications and I'll process them. The more the merrier, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bagshotrow posted:

Everyone else will be receiving their initial character PMs today, but you'll need to add me on discord (peramene#0477) - just hollaback in-thread if you have trouble with it.

• Locked thread