Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't
This is amazing!! I love how the setting is suggestive of D'ni guild work. I've got at least partial availability on all three days, but is there a specific time we should expect to be engaged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Looks like I've missed some stuff, as I thought we were done doing stuff until the 1st. :O I'm about caught up now.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Wow, I thought I knew where that puzzle was going but now I'm stumped.

I'm going to be totally insufferable re: lore during this whole thing. I know it doesn't necessarily affect gameplay, is this thread an appropriate place to ask questions about Sa, its place within the Myst universe, how much lore stuff the people of Sa should be aware of, etc?

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Kashuno posted:

Remind me who the SA are it has been a while I only remember the D'Ni race being able to write linking books

Also can we get deep in Myst lore pera

Based on what we have been told so far I've actually got an idea of Sa history and how they learned only part of the Art but I don't wanna step on anyone's toes. I'll post in more detail if OP thinks it's cool and it's not part of their Big Plan

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

At the very least though, pera, can we assume that no one alive in Sa today has knowledge of the D'ni or their significance?

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

MMM is at the dock, I saw him sneaking back there. I see a lot of stuff. Everything else I think you know.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

MMM went to the observatory, snuck back to the dock.

Does this mean both Kash and Cat had guns? Why did you feel the need to bring guns on this expedition?

If anyone's standing next to a corpse we better hear about it

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Lol @ "let's table that for now"

I am probably just confused about the location/number of guns, since you're all being super dodgy. But if you guys wanna be sure, and if we don't get a satisfactory story real soon, maybe we should just all converge on the cabin and pickpocket everything from everyone currently there. Someone at the cabin has a gun and has already had reason to use it. We may as well get it away from them. Maybe it'll end up in the hands of someone with a nonviolent wincon.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Also, lol, who's gonna believe that? You have a gun and you're gonna reveal this information day 1, drawing all attention and suspicion onto yourself, just to see who has "weird reactions"? You know what a gun is for, right bud?

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm also confused here. Bagshot are talking about Kash having a gun cause you just missed or misread the stuff about DBD having it? Or because you've seen something that contradicts Kash's account?

I was gonna pretend to have secret knowledge, but honestly, I was just confused about where DBD went after taking the gun. For some reason I thought it ended up in another location. I'm kind of playing catch up still.

Kashuno posted:

You know dbd has the gun right?

I know someone at the cabin has a gun, and at least one person at the cabin has quit talking since it was fired. I recommend we respond to this situation immediately. We have the capacity, as a group, to disarm everyone at the cabin, and if we all do it at once--provided I'm understanding the action rules correctly--we can ensure the gun goes to an effectively random recipient, who can then keep it secret, ensuring it's not just pocketed back.

One lucky participant will receive a cool gun. And maybe we'll get some other useful stuff too?

If we don't take the gun from the cabin crew now, we lose our chance to defuse this threat or learn anything from it. No one at the cabin right now has displayed a great deal of trustworthiness, but even if they're all innocent, someone who really wants the gun for nefarious purposes is bound to take it from them later. Everyone's safer this way.

Kash is gonna try and make this idea seem suspicious. Am I hiding something? Maybe; most of us probably are. But whatever it is, I bet you it's not as dangerous as a goddam gun. I think this is a good idea, but I'll let you all discuss.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

1. what on earth
2. are you guys planning to share the contents of the note that bif found at the library?

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Asiina posted:

So wait, were you attacked on the docks?

Also I think Rarity might be dead or else she's just really good at hiding.

They're talking about their character PMs, just in a really weird public way
Y'all know we did not all get the same pre-game info, right?

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I don't think anyone "went" for cat, I think it was an unexpected consequence.

That or you've angered the island by digging up someone's goddamn grave

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Rarity posted:

Of course, though I won't confirm if I've moved or not. I was at the shore yesterday (by myself), there didn't seem to be a whole lot there.

Rarity posted:

Do you think I would have been able to see what Kash and crew were up to if I was at the dock killing MMM?3

Rarity posted:

That's all just flavour though. In terms of game mechanics it only mattered that you were one zone over.

Whoever killed MMM was either at the dock last round, or is there this round. I think it would be wise to #check the dock for hidden threats, and for anyone who was hidden last round to make themselves seen this round, for their neighbors' peace of mind.

It would avail the rest of us to temper our emotions with mercy; someone who kills once is not necessarily a killer by nature. We all have circumstances that lead us into trouble.

Creator preserve our colleague and friend MMM Watchya Say. He always meant well.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I cannot keep up with all the craziness right now. This is so nuts

I want to know why ANarc tried a murder.

Kashuno, I think it is possible to free you without trapping another person. However I believe cat's murderer has your linking book, so be on guard.

Mmm, with respect to existing themes of sibling betrayal, i think you better establish an alibi

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

The video and audio samples from the Dimensional Imager have several themes in common, most principally Time, Time Travel, and Music. There's also a bit of discussion of order, chaos, madness, genius, and celestial bodies.

Tracks numbers, space between tracks, and notable themes:

00 - Myst, Planetarium, Stars, 03, music
(3 blank)
04 - Stars, Time, music
(2 blank)
07 - Time, Everdunes, music
08 - Half, Dream, Memory, music
(14 blank)
23 - Time, Clocks, Time Travel, Music
(1 blank)
25 - No God No
(3 blank)
29 - Time, Clocks, Time Travel, "Time's End II", Order, music
(10 blank)
40 - Music, 1826, Equations, "The Art", The Art of Domestic Horticulture, The Dynamics of an Asteroid, Moriarty, Writing, Handwriting Analysis, Moral Insanity, "No", Celestial Mechanics, Celestial Objects Colliding, Disease, Chess, phrase: "Another Time", Sherlock Holmes
(1 blank)
42 - Pi, Patterns, Go (Chess), Chaos, Order, Insanity, Genius, 216, Front Door, Elevator, 320, 450, 22, 216 Mathematics, Numerology
(4 blank)
47 - "I'm not dead", Faked Death, a DIFFERENT Sherlock Holmes, communicators, door lock
(11 blank)
59 - Time, time travel, music, music box
(7 blank)
67 - Music, Water, Piano -- This is the music we heard on the island yesterday.
(1 blank)
68 - Time, Time Travel, Weather, "Time's End", Piano
(15 blank)
85 - Time, Dreams, Music, Music box
(2 blank)
88 - Time, Time Travel, 88, 1985, "1:20 AM and 0 seconds"
(9 blank)
97 - 5 minutes (actually 7:14), blue, wall, the moon, pink floyd, The Wall released 30 Nov 1979
(2 blank)

Quantity of blank tracks between tracks: 3, 2, 0, 14, 1, 3, 10, 1, 4, 11, 7, 1, 15, 2, 9, 2

Of particular interest are tracks 40 and 42.
Track 40 displays themes of writing, study of celestial bodies, and features a book cover which prominently displays the words "THE ART".
Track 42 contains a series of arbitrary numbers and discusses the distillation of order from chaos--the concept at the core of The Art.
The name "Everdunes" is referenced by one of the journals in the library.
The journals also contain a number of dates which you might try entering into the observatory. There is at least one date associated with Sirius and one with Achenar.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

mfw we're coordinating a whole bunch of movement and linking in this game at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

Chell, my commander, who saw me safely through hell without making me fire a single shot, I am deeply sorry. I do not understand what's happened to me. I should never have armed myself from the battlefield. I knew it would be trouble then. I intend now to disarm wholly. If this brings me an early death, at least it will only be my own.

I was furious at this whole expedition. Two worlds have been torn apart since we came here, and this is still an atrocity to me, an unforgivable sin that fills me with sadness and rage. But I know it's not your fault, or any of ours. If there is a rational thought associated with my attack, it was seeing the book in your hands, and a fanatic impulse to protect what remains of these ages, but of course I have no right to any such stewardship. A way closed to all but one is hardly better than a way closed to all.

What I say next is of tremendous concern, and so I hope you will not take it as an excuse for what has just happened.

I no longer believe treachery by Sa high command is the source of our torment. Sirrus and Achenar have one of our communicators. Our CAPTAIN'S communicator. It probably had extra security privileges. I don't know how they managed it in two weeks, but at the very least, they reverse engineered the system to interface with the doomsday weapon on the Mechanical age. I think more likely they have gained access to our entire network, including our communications and life support systems.

On Channelwood, Sirrus and Achenar engineered a society that would throw themselves on their own swords at a command. They didn't need to go to nearly so much effort with us; we handed them the keys to our minds and bodies in a giftwrapped box. We need to be rid of these implants. None of us is safe. And if the safety of our homeworld is a priority, then none of us must carry any of these devices back to Sa without ensuring Sirrus and Achenar... there's no safe way to detain someone of this level of genius, so, I guess they have to die.

I want to say, "I won't be the one to do it". But it would surely ring untrue to all of you, even as it does to me.

Schelene, I had no intention to lead you into evil. Both you and I have learned that there are no true prophets. There's no human being born on land that could personify the Way, just as there's no human tongue that can pronounce the words that give shape to the universe. The Way is in the darkness between stars, the space between words, and the silence between notes. In the time between sleeping and waking, we can hear its voice. In the sightless void of the link, we can glimpse its path, carved throughout the ages like a winding river. I have seen my path flow through fire and smoke and death; I have seen a sea of chilling blue stars, and rain pouring from a sunless black sky. I've seen silent cities surrounded by lakes of fire. I told you all of this when you were just a child, and I still believe this is the way forward for our people, but all I know for sure is that it's seen through an imperfect eye. Don't follow people! Reach out to the link, and follow the path that is made known to you. I do not know where that path leads, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

• Locked thread