Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

504 posted:

Communism is no more workable in the real world than Bitcoin. And just like Bitcoin it's only privileged white idiots that believe it can possibly work if everyone just tries really really hard (and they happen to be in charge)

Behold, the Liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

504 posted:

Communism is no more workable in the real world than Bitcoin. And just like Bitcoin it's only privileged white idiots that believe it can possibly work if everyone just tries really really hard (and they happen to be in charge)

Bitcoin cannot fail, it can only be failed

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

If only KSP was around in the 60s to tell the Soviets how loving dumb this was as an idea

KORD was loving cool

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"I dunno, put a 152 on it, I guess?"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ekranoplans ftw

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

jBrereton posted:

Ekranoplans ftw

I call this one...the Spruce Moose! Get in, Smithers!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"OK lets build a spaceship based entirely off of the Encyclopedia Britannica entry for the Space Shuttle"

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Not every country was able to snipe the fascists' engineers and give them secret pardons for your ICBM program, OP.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

zegermans posted:

If only KSP was around in the 60s to tell the Soviets how loving dumb this was as an idea

dumb but cool as gently caress

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Late Cold War was some cool stuff - both sides making space shuttles for ~star wars~ written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle - Clancy creaming his pants about ekranoplans attacking carrier groups. Cool stuff. Now we have a one world state where the elite use fear and destabilized perception to control the masses and there are no dreams for the future. The future is now.

Oh wait sorry

*extremely Clintonite voice* gently caress those backwards foreigns. Potato lol. No opportunities for prosperity were squandered in the 1990's - Bill was great!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
The USSR turned an undeveloped country whose economy was based pretty much entirely on serfdom until the late 19th century/early 20th century into a global superpower which put the first person into space over the course of about four decades. Their rockets did look funny, though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

zegermans posted:

*somehow manages to build a propeller-powered strategic bomber that's louder than any jet airplane*

You shut your goddamn mouth the Tu-95 is a thing of beauty.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Mar 9, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
communist cars are trash

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You shut your goddamn mouth the Tu-95 is a thing of beauty.

Yeah it really is badass, one of my favorite pieces of Soviet military hardware.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Fiction posted:

Not every country was able to snipe the fascists' engineers and give them secret pardons for your ICBM program, OP.

I believe that fell under the "down low, too slow" provision of the Yalta Conference.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"the real success story of the Spruce Goose is how it managed to fly at all! Lets find a way to replicate this effect"

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Fiction posted:

The USSR turned an undeveloped country whose economy was based pretty much entirely on serfdom until the late 19th century/early 20th century into a global superpower which put the first person into space over the course of about four decades. Their rockets did look funny, though.

turns out when you enslave an entire nation, and starve to death or simply disappear anyone who isnt on board, you can get a lot done. of course anime marxists on D&D lite admire stalin, because of all the revenge fantasies you developed in High School while spending time in your locker after being shoved in there by the normies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zegermans posted:

"OK lets build a spaceship based entirely off of the Encyclopedia Britannica entry for the Space Shuttle"

"But have it be a drone!" :eng101:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

zegermans posted:

*somehow manages to build a propeller-powered strategic bomber that's louder than any jet airplane*

turboprops are jets and propellors so they as loud a s a jet and a propeller put togethar

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Behold, the Liberal

i don't know if he's a liberal

504 posted:

I want Isis to sneak 2 dozen soldiers into a small American town and kill and kill and kill and kill.

I want them to be so exhausted from killing they cant even run away when the troops finally arrive.

The level of horror should be so high people lament that "It wasn't as low as the 9/11 toll"

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

and i must meme posted:

i don't know if he's a liberal

not much for cnn are ya

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Slavery!?! Not in a civilized nation! America is better than that!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

gobbagool posted:

turns out when you enslave an entire nation, and starve to death or simply disappear anyone who isnt on board, you can get a lot done. of course anime marxists on D&D lite admire stalin, because of all the revenge fantasies you developed in High School while spending time in your locker after being shoved in there by the normies

you have an interesting view of russian history my guy

ok the second part is true but boo hoo the poor counterrevolutionaries who wanted to return to basically feudalism :(

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Fiction posted:

you have an interesting view of russian history my guy

ok the second part is true but boo hoo the poor counterrevolutionaries who wanted to return to basically feudalism :(

Turn on your monitor

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

*outinnovates and produces all other parties in WW2*

*purges everyone who made that happen*

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

zegermans posted:

*outinnovates and produces all other parties in WW2*

*purges everyone who made that happen*

more like... willingly used incredible quantities of US made hardware and supplies while decrying capitalism as a productive economic system. Stalin himself said the USSR would have lost to Germany without US supplies

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Stalin said a lot of things

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

logikv9 posted:

communist cars are trash

The Yugo's cute

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gobbagool posted:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

gobbagool posted:

more like... willingly used incredible quantities of US made hardware and supplies while decrying capitalism as a productive economic system. Stalin himself said the USSR would have lost to Germany without US supplies

nobody denies that capitalism is productive. you just have to murder a lot of people and take their stuff to make it work.

either way none of that would have been necessary if the West had actually taken action against the Nazis when Russia wanted them to instead of waiting for my people to be forced into ghettos and for France to fall before taking any action.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Plutonis posted:

The Yugo's cute

Did it have metal? Because the Trabant didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

Like all things communism, they knocked it out of the park in the 50s, and then didn't change it for 40 years.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Fiction posted:

nobody denies that capitalism is productive. you just have to murder a lot of people and take their stuff to make it work.

either way none of that would have been necessary if the West had actually taken action against the Nazis when Russia wanted them to instead of waiting for my people to be forced into ghettos and for France to fall before taking any action.

your people? the mexicans? hard to keep up with your imagined multiple personalities without a scorecard

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

gobbagool posted:

your people? the mexicans? hard to keep up with your imagined multiple personalities without a scorecard

the jews, dummy. also this is a different thread and also i never claimed to be mexican wtf!!

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
a cool thing the soviets did: killed a lot of aristocrats, capitalists, nazis, liberals, and communists

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No one said capitalism isn't productive - communism attempted to balance it with Enlightenment Humanism. Turns out enlightenment humanism is bunk and humans are materialistic creatures with no intrinsic reason, principles, or values. If you want to get ripped just take performance enhancing drugs - you can't argue with results and lol at ninnies who care about rules and fairness. The ends justify the means.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

deadgoon posted:

a cool thing the soviets did: killed a lot of aristocrats, capitalists, nazis, liberals, and communists

Comrade Laborer Willy: It won't last. Laborers and Leadership are natural enemies. Like Nazis and Soviets! Or Capitalists and Soviets! Or Americans and Soviets! Or Soviets and other Soviets! drat Soviets! They ruined the Soviets Union!

General Secretary Skinner: You Soviets sure are a contentious people!

Comrade Laborer Willy: You just earned a Gulag trip for life!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

gobbagool posted:

turns out when you enslave an entire nation, and starve to death or simply disappear anyone who isnt on board, you can get a lot done.

I don't see what the problem with any of this is.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

soviet advertising, the boldest and most brilliant of all advertising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acacJS5so40
a precursor to the modern car ad formula of 'driving shots with 20 year old music overlaid', but even better because they 100% didn't pay for the rights and just made a weird instrumental version instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikh4se21M2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHOgySLC0s
soviet ads for generic concepts like 'juice' and 'inflatable toys' unironically are great and are better than the snake oil garbage western advertising has become

I mean maybe they're lying about the properties of juice but I doubt it, it's just juice everyone knows what juice does

a long time ago I found one just advertising lemons, and it was just a man saying 'lemons!' over shots of lemons rolling down a conveyor belt and being packaged, but I haven't been able to find it again since

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

zegermans posted:

Did it have metal? Because the Trabant didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

Like all things communism, they knocked it out of the park in the 50s, and then didn't change it for 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF4phDLfGF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
nobody wanted to see my slavic nationalism speedmetal band, BAST TRAPO 1

• Locked thread