Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
sorry op but I spent my money on a pentium 3 motherboard, I will not take the g5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

the best and most perfect and beautiful user interface ever created by man or god

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

atomicthumbs posted:

the best and most perfect and beautiful user interface ever created by man or god

you mean my dope-rear end gnome 2.0 config circa 2002

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I already bought a Classic and an SE/30 over the last two weeks so I'm good, OP
Tempted to claim dibs on the LC III but international shipping would probably be unreasonable

I think the weird old professor that sold me the SE/30 might also have a powermac 8600/200 somewhere which would probably be the ideal way to run System 7.5, the last good mac OS

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Silver Alicorn posted:

sorry op but I spent my money on a pentium 3 motherboard, I will not take the g5

you really don't want a g5 anyway. G5's are v. bad

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
cpu cooler by delphi

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kinda want the g5 for a case but lol at having it for a computer

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

cis autodrag posted:

im still trying to get my wife to understand the majesty of odell lake, aka the fish rpg

aww yee

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A Pinball Wizard posted:

tyvm for mentioning this, I was beginning to think I dreamt it up

very much the same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

WilWheaton posted:

you really don't want a g5 anyway. G5's are v. bad

I understand they are quite loud

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

Apparently so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhHzCzYX_AA

pram
Jun 10, 2001
needed for the sheer POWER

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Probably just needs new thermal paste after a decade
The tower macs had awesome fan controllers built in, you could enable wind tunnel mode and it would sound like a jet engine ramping up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVRNkA97-ig&t=50s

I remember laughing when my old mac pro got a firmware upgrade that forced the fans to 100% during the update process and it suddenly ejected a giant cloud of dust out the back

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I adopted a MDD G4 tower that someone left on the sidewalk near my house

it kernel panics so it's probably either RAM or the OS got corrupted. Either way that thing's gonna be my iTunes library one of these days.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My MDD G4 had a bad graphics card when I got it, it's been very stable after I replaced it.

The card was made by AMD, so no surprises there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

they were both loud and hot: any time the fan controllers had power but no interaction from the main CPU, they'd run the fans at full blast to avoid risk of thermal damage, since I don't think the G5 did any sort of thermal speed stepping

also, a coworker got a quad G5 when they were new and had HVAC out a couple because his office and the next one over were suddenly freezing. it got better when he realized that he'd put his new quad G5 where his original model dual G5 had been, which was on the floor next to his desk—and right under his thermostat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

is it algae, or a cleverly disguised fish hook? the choice is BLUB and BLUB alone

• Locked thread