Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: The World-Breaker - Innards -> True Heart

Izayoi looked upon the signs of struggle and forced entry with cool disdain. They were not alone on their mission, that much was clear, but their competition was hardly approaching matters with the proper caution and care afforded to such a prime opportunity. Still, though, the state of their surroundings indicated a certain degree of martial competence. What was their true aim, though? How had they infiltrated the base? There were many questions to be had and few answers.

Ratfink was proving his worth quite aptly, though, so she was quite pleased with that. The assorted components that his parasites and other agents of filth were retrieving would prove to be most lucrative once they returned successfully. That left her with two courses of action. She could, perhaps, pursue the unknown intruder. It was clear that they were here for a reason and may have secured something of untold value. Still, the Heart-Gem was a tempting prize... It was safe to say that regardless of how the rest of the mission went, the acquisition of such would do much to soothe the feelings raging within her.

The atmosphere inside the World-Breaker was truly oppressive. She could feel the might of its blood, even in death, and that which flowed through her own body trembled in awe and fear. It was stunningly close to that which filled her when she traveled with the Calamity Blade. Most aggravating. Yet, even so, this was an opportunity to rewrite her destiny. Perhaps her blood was not pure, perhaps her strength not sufficient. That was a matter of the moment. She would baptize herself in fire and blood, rising anew to shake the very foundations of Avalon.

Izayoi turned to Jotun, "It seems we are not alone. I know you to be a hearty warrior, Jotun, and it appears that this other party is as well. I would ask that you pursue them and ensure that they do not escape with what should rightfully be ours." Her eyes swept across the rest of her allies. "Excellent work so far, everyone. We need only secure our escape and distract any guards that remain to bar our way. I trust that you all have your own ideas on how to best accomplish this? Your judgment has proven to be sound thus far."

She did not truly understand what Dead Face had meant, but it seemed that he may have his own ideas on how to secure their descent. As long as he did not covet what would be hers, she saw no reason to insist he explain further. She walked over to a bulkhead that hung ajar and finished the work of ripping it off the way. As suspected, the meat of the World-Breaker lay underneath. She placed a hand on it and cleared her mind. For a moment, it was as though she joined with the flesh of the World-Breaker. Felt what it felt, felt the pull of the heart deep within. Focusing on that alone, she began a low chant of a language none living still remembered. The meat opened and she stepped within. It slammed back shut behind her.

The sensation of joining grew ever stronger. It was tempting to simply let go and join in the greater whole, but Izayoi persevered. After a few moments, she stepped out in the depths, quite close to where she had felt the tremendous power of the World-Breaker's heart. Izayoi straightened her hat and drew forth her blade. Who knew what dangers lurked nearby?

quote:

9:18 AM <Tricky> CC unleashes her mighty sorcery to storm the True Heart!
9:18 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6
9:18 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8 =

I'm assuming Unstable is the more applicable modifier here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble +1 | Superior -1 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: The World-Breaker - Innards -> The Skull
Exhausted Assets: Library of Tomes

As Dead Face looks around at the empty warehouse he comments, "Hmmm, it looks the knights might have had some unexpected visitors. Perhaps somebody had the same idea as us? I did run into a sword wielding weirdo at the city records office that decapitated me on sight. Whatever is going on, I recommend we stay on guard."

From the blueprint, it looks like there isn't enough time for Dead Face to travel around on foot. He quickly opens up a portal, and steps through it. He arrives at the Dragon's skull. Time to find the eye, and get the hell out of there.

Dead Face is teleporting directly to the skull.
3/27/2017 10:11:17 PM<IShallRiseAgain> Unleash Your Powers
3/27/2017 10:11:23 PM<IShallRiseAgain> !roll
2d6+2
3/27/2017 10:11:24 PM<Krysmbot> IShallRiseAgain, 9+2 = 11

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble +2 | Superior -1 | Menace +0
Curses!
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Integrity: 1 Conditions: None! | Location: Dog's Hill

"I'll do my best to keep the Knights out of our hair." Seraphine notes to whoever cares to listen. "Be careful out there, everyone!" she waves you off with a smile.

As Dead Face and Crimson Chevalier disappear, she goes to do her work. Pooring magic into the halo floating above her head, it suddenly glows brightly, and Seraphine's angelic aura grows massively in power. All across the Worldbreaker, people find themselves drawn to Seraphine, and while they stumble towards her, she descends to the innards.

Seeing the amassed heroes (and probably other things) affected by her aura, simply gawking at the angelic glory of the being that stands before them, she smiles and speaks to them. "Thank you for coming, everyone. Please remain here for your own safety." she tells them, as she takes off. In her hands, a orb of pure, blinding light forms, soon extending into a beam that scorches all it touches. With a loud noise, the elevator cable is cut and soon crashes into the floor below, as Seraphine flies up the elevator shaft to rejoin her allies.

quote:

21:06 Yamifenrir Seraphine cooks up a Freakish SchemeExecutes the Plan!
21:06 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+21 (from assess)
21:06 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 6+21 = 87
Exhausting the asset 'Radiant Halo'. Defenders are kept busy.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 30, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Trouble +3 | Superior 0 | Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Zilch | Location: The World Breaker

Getting in here was easy.

Too easy. My gills flare as I look around. Somethin' ain't right here. It's in too much disarray.

"Hold up, guys. Gotta get a sense for the place."

Assessing the situation:
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 2+0 = 2

drat, I can't tell if anything's wrong. Never really knocked over a dragon before.

"Stupid Seraphine's light is gettin' in my eyes. Cut it out!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Trouble -1 | Superior +1 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Worldbreaker

Jotun grins to Izayoi, exposing her feral canines. "They've challenged us, by stealing our prize. They challenge our wits and resolve and strength." She looses her club. It hits the dragonflesh with a meaty thud. "We will take heads and names today, friends."

Assessing Situation to track the precious thing that was dragged from our Insertion point in the Innards. Rolled a 9. Now give me a clue on how to find it!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Interview Room > World Breaker Corpse

Ratfink looked at the arranged... The arranged... Multitude and all the gifts they brought to him.

Somehow by some method he couldn't see they were floating towards him, with the small fortune of nearly priceless treasures in their little mandibles to deposit them at his feet. He leaned conspiratorially over his shoulder as Underfoot peeked over to look.
"Underfoot what are these?"
"..."
"Really? And they have natural flame propulsion? Okay..." He tickled one of the, things under what he was assuming was it's chin, it made happy little bubbling noises. He glanced around as his congregation gathered around eagerly.

What they wanted to grab when they arrived here seemed to be missing, his allies were eager to throw down with whoever was responsible. Ratfink however was never one for any direct confrontation. And what he did know was whilst the magical members of his party succeeded in getting them up there, no one seemed to mention anything about getting back down. Dead Face had a plan but, just in case that plan didn't work...

He looked into the eyes of one of the little grubbers. "You've been here for a while haven't you? What have you seen here?

He looked through the eyes of all the grubs before him, even if the knights didn't know it, there were eyes and ears everywhere for someone with the right... Talents.

11:04 TheNabster Ratfink's gonna concoct some Freak Plans whilst everyone is doing stuff
11:04 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
11:04 Krysmbot TheNabster, 8+2 = 10
11:04 TheNabster Ye

1 Plan, no strings attached. Ratfink's gonna scout out alternatives to their escape plan in case the ritual is a bust.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 3, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

quote:

Here's brief summary of what you know about the World Breaker, and what you expect to find within it:

code:
                    True Heart             Skull
                        |                    |
                        |                    |
                        |                    |
                        |                    |
                        |                    |
Innards---------------Heart----------------Nape 
Rules for traversing the World Breaker!

Innards – Newest Harvesting Site; Miner Base, Definitely a Prize (See Below)?

Heart – Manufactory, Laboratory, Soul Containment Facility

Nape – Barracks, Hangers

True HeartDefinitely a Prize, Unknown Danger?

Skull – A Dragon's Eye, and potentially a Prize (An Assess roll will be required).

--

Inside the Skull…

Dead Face – As you step out of the portal, you are temporarily blinded by an unexpected light--

Your spellcasting was true. You are inside the skull of the World Breaker. In front of you, two great bridges of calcified nerve tissue run from the brain to the eyes. One eye, the eye your master requested, remains intact. The other is gone, although you can still see shattered fragments of tissue stuck to parts of the inner bone. From that ‘window’, you can see the world.

It’s the first time you’ve seen the sun without the cover of the sky. It’s the first time you’ve seen the world from above. How does it make you feel?

Feelings aside, you still have a job to do. From where you stand now, getting to the World Breaker’s left eye wouldn’t be extraordinarily difficult – being a skeleton with teleportation magic makes zero-g travel a lot safer than normal – and once you get your hands on it, you can send it back down to Avalon City for pickup by the other servants of The Dark Master. Although, if you really wanted to impress him you could teleport it directly back into the mansion. Attempting to hit such a small target from such a long range could easily backfire, however.

Or, heck, why not cast the ritual of reanimation right here, right now? If your master wants to the eye, getting it to him after it falls back to the surface would be a lot eaiser.

As your senses acclimatize to The Skull, you are surprised by a subtle… smell? In the air? It smells like what’d you expect the current from a car battery to taste like; it doesn’t make much sense. It’s coming from the deeper brain; opposite the eyes. There are gouges in the bone near the long-gone right eye. What finally killed the World Breaker, anyways? Do you want do find out? It’ll take time and effort.

What do you do?

--

Inside the True Heart…

Crimson Chevalier – As you step out of the portal, you are temporarily blinded by an expected darkness…

Of course there’d be no light in the True Heart. It was in the depths of the body of the World Breaker, far, far away from the sun. Well, a quick spell fixes that problems

Describe how you create magical light, or if you don’t, ignore the rest of this prompt :x

You are within one of the World Breaker’s great heart-chambers. The material you step on is tough, yet slight rubbery. Vast quantities of blood flowed through here – once. Now it is so empty that, if you clapped your hands, you feel like the echo might shatter your eardrums. At the center of the room, spiraling upwards and downwards into multiple identical chambers, is the central wall of the World Breaker’s heart, and within that wall you can see…

Heart Gem. Precious. Precious. Oh how precious – Heart Gem. Red for scales. Red for blood. Oh, a Prize worth taking!

As you take an involuntary step forward, drawn by Dragon’s Greed, two things happen:

The first is that you notice the heart chamber isn’t completely empty. To your side are the remains of… machines? Scout droids, sent by the Harvesting Base? They are torn apart, chewed up. And of course, as the old saying goes: Where there are bite marks, something bit.

The second is that the meat-gate you stepped through stops disappearing. A pinhole-in-space, the naturally magic air of the World Breaker’s heart flows out into the Innards, and sustains the tiny portal beyond it’s natural lifespan. The resulting whistle is piercing, and even if you swipe it out of existence as quick as you can, the echo travels through all seven chambers of the heart.

What destroyed the scout robots? Do you hear something shuffling in the distance? It’s hard to hear anything, after the whistle, but – you do. Definitely.

Do you stand bravely – foolishly? – against the unknown, almost certainly without the possibility of backup, or do you grab the Heart Gem and run? You’re certainly a lot swifter than the simple droids sent by the Knights.

Or, instead of fully closing the portal, you could reopen it and step back into the Innar-- ha ha, like that’s even a possibility. The Heart Gem is here, right in front of you. You’re not going to just abandon it, are you?

Your Unstable magicks have created quite the ruckus! Move decisively if you wish to claim the prize.

What do you do?

--

Inside the Innards

Seraphine – From the depths of the Innards, you’re angelic grace pours into the Harvesting Base. It is brilliant. It is magnetic. It is working.

As your lasers cut the elevator cords, they awake from their splendid dream.

~~~~

A young girl with eyes of ice blinks rapidly, “What… happened?”

Another girl, hand resting anxiously on her blade, replies, “We appear to have been lured, and trapped.”

Various miners, up too late and punished for it, grumble as they inspect the damaged elevator. The damage was extensive, it’d be hours before they could clear all the rubble, and a long ladder-climb upwards to get out of the lowest level of the innards.

Sapphire Shine shakes her head, “What I saw… it was amazing! A snowflake the size of the world! With a perfect structure! I want… I want to see it again!”

Shadow Blade looks at her, were all her co-workers loons? She sighs, “Let’s get out of here, first.”

~~~~

Well, that worked perfectly! As you float up the elevator shaft, a secure silence follows you. Anyones still awake was lured by your divine halo, and trapped deep below. Everyone down there is going to have a miserable couple of hours as they dig their way out. Do you feel any guilt? Or, the exact opposite; you just incapacitated a significant chunk of the Base's security without actually hurting anyone! A peaceful resolution, by any reasonable definition of the term! Right?

Regardless of your feelings, the path to the (false) Heart lies completely open!

What do you do?

--

Scales
– Trying to scope things, but the Seraphine’s drat lightshow totally blinds you! Even knowing who’s creating the angelic grace, and for what purpose, it still takes a concentrated mental effort not to get dragged into her aura. What a pain!

Yep, that’s why you’re stumbling around like a newborn guppy. It’s not at all that you’re completely unused to weird-orbiting-dragon-mining-bases and have no idea what to even start to look for.

Still, has you turn a corner in the now even-more-empty innards, you find…

Oh! One of those person-sized vent shafts you’ve seen so much of in the flicks! According to all narrative laws of fiction that you’re aware of, this tunnel simply HAS to lead you to treasure!

At the same time, it is pretty dark in there. Maybe… Maybe it’s a better idea to regroup with the team, move as a unit, you know? It’s not like, not like you’re afraid or anything. If you went into the vent, no one could call you a coward, and if you didn’t…

Head, solo, into the ventilation shaft heading into ?????, or

Do anything else and Mark Afraid.

What do you do?

Jotun – Your keen hunter’s eye allows you to track the exact path of the thief that came before you. Following a trail of sliced or melted locks, you discover these facts

Interpreting you Assess the Situation roll as ‘What Here Can I Use to Determine Where the Prize is Now?’ In the future, please format your assess rolls into the predetermined question format. (Yes, the assess questions aren't in the Capers! Google Doc. Yes, it's a complete pain in the rear end. I do have a link to the Masks Basic Moves in the OOC thread OP.

... is what I wrote before actually checking. Opps, I actually only have a link to the Masks Playbooks up right now. I'll fix that ASAP!

*The thief acted alone.
*The thief left behind many valuable things in their wake. Therefore, they were only interested in the single thing they took.
*Given that fact, it is unlikely they stashed it anywhere for safekeeping – the most likely location of the Prize is on their person.
*Their trail leads directly to the walkway from the Innards into the Heart.

Gain +1 Forward (Once) Whenever you act on any of those pieces of information!

A single individual stormed the World Breaker, faster than the six of you. Do you admire their audacity? Question their sanity? Or our you simply excited by the prospect of new opponent.

However you feel, the more important question is…

What do you do?

Ratfink – The Grubbers all chitter at once. A flood of information – too much.

Every day, predators within the World Breaker hunt them for sustenance. Every day, they slurp the marrow of their dragon home and of the long-dead parasites within it, and multiply themselves. It has been this way for as long as they know.

Recently, beings that were not predator (they did not hunt the Grubbers) or prey (they did not let themselves be hunted) arrived, and built the area you stand in now. They send strange, metal prey into the deeper flesh, and the Great Predator inevitably destroys them.

More recent than recently, a flame without smoke walked down the square halls built by the not-predators/not-prey. The Grubber’s avoided it out of instinct.

Less recent than recently, a change so slow you only notice it because different Grubber’s living further away give different information – the space beneath one of the scales on the underside of the innards ‘become bigger’ – you recognize that this means it’s loosened.

If you could fully destroy the connective tissue, you could ride the ‘cup’ of the dragon scale down through the atmosphere and onto the outskirts of Avalon City.

… The impact would be rough, and, honestly, the idea of just heading towards the hangers and commandeering a ship is a lot smarter. But if you needed to bail directly from the Innards or Heart, the loose scale could work as a crude backup.

The Grubber’s rub against you. They’ve never had a God before. Is Underfoot beaming at their love, or freaked out by their alien nature?

What do you do?

Since I’ve kind of mutated the PBTA system by making a concrete ‘movement rules’ system for this Caper!, I want to set one thing into stone.

If you Move without Rolling, I’ll make a mini-prompt ASAP (which does not mean immediate, especially over workdays :x) to inform you of your new situation.

Everyone needs to roll before I do another ‘full’ prompt, but I’ll try my best to update the situation as you guys shift around the World Breaker. I want to keep things ‘fluid’ until a real action scene starts, but no one should be forced to make a Move without being told what their character is seeing/experiencing.

Scrree posted:

The Star in the Sky; The Dragon's Hoard.
A Capers! Production - Directed and Produced by Scrree, starring Crimson Chevalier as the Mastermind.

Heat Rating: 2 > 3! - The target of the raid is almost as isolated as it gets, so, despite the importance of the Harvesting Base, if you can get onto the World Breaker quietly (emphasis mine), you will have quite a bit of time before the Knights can react.

Planks: 4

1. First, you must get the (team name pending) onto the World Breaker, which is currently in space over Avalon City. - There are a variety of ways, both scientific and magical, to accomplish this task, but none of them are easy. Teleportation of such great distance normally requires rare regents and material to be stable, and while it's not impossible to grow a spaceship from a tree, that doesn’t make them cheap.

2. You’ll need to seize, through guile or force, the most valuable bits of the World Break’s body. - A visit to the World Breaker does sound like a pretty good vacation, but you're not going up their as a tourist. Make sure you grab the goods, to make the trip worth something.

3. You’ll need to keep the Knights defending the Harvesting Base busy, lest they foil your escape. - Of course there's security. There's always security. The World Breaker will be only orbit near Avalon City for a limited amount of time, and the Knights are keeping a fairly beefy guard on it.

4. Don’t forget the stick the landing! - While the issue of getting from Avalon City to space might be quite the puzzle; there is a very simple way to get from space back down to Avalon City. The tricky part is finding a way down that leaves you in one piece and not splattered on the pavement. Good luck!

Three Planks down. One Plank remains. Heat is Three. You're all still within the Caper Phase. Yell at me on IRC if I messed something up!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 3, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: The World-Breaker - Innards -> The Skull
Exhausted Assets: Library of Tomes

For a second, Dead Face pauses to reflect on the sight before him. The Earth looks so small right now, he could fit it into the palm of his hand. The city of Avalon is nothing but an insignificant speck. It is moments like these, that make Dead Face glad that he decided to serve the Charnel Emperor. In his past life, he would only be able to dream about seeing such wondrous things. With the strength he obtained, the world and its wonders are his to take. Never again would he just be a dreamer. He curls up his fist, obscuring the earth.

Now what to do next? The World Breaker has further mysteries that Dead Face wants to investigate, but sooner or later the Knights will notice their presence. For now, he should focus on the ritual of reanimation, and securing an escape route. There will be time later to investigate the strange smell.

Reaching into his robe, he pulls out a silver bell and rings it three times. A signal to the cultists at the landing site at the outskirts of Avalon City. They would be assisting him with the task at hand. It is now time to start start the ritual. He begins chanting the incantation he prepared. Necromantic energy starts to build within himself. Inside him, the dark energy just keeps on growing and growing. Never before has Dead Face wielded so much power at once. This spell would require pushing himself to his limits. Just when he felt that he couldn't hold on any longer, it was time to release the energy. Tendrils of dark energy shot out from him, spreading throughout the once mighty beast until it was completely enveloped.

The Dragon lives once more. It roars, the unearthly cry of a creature capable of destroying entire worlds. Dead Face involuntarily shuddered, even under his control, this was a power to be feared. He sent his command to the fearsome creature. The long inactive colossal rotted wings once again began to flap. The ground beneath him shakes fiercely. The World Breaker is starting its descent to the surface. Dead Face cackles manically.

Using 1 Plan and the Cultist Lair Asset.
4/2/2017 8:22:23 PM<IShallRiseAgain> Yeah, i'll go for execute first
4/2/2017 8:22:48 PM<IShallRiseAgain> !roll 2d6+2
4/2/2017 8:22:48 PM<Krysmbot> IShallRiseAgain, 7+2 = 9
Plan Executed, Adding +1 to heat

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 3, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: True Heart -> Fake Heart

As Izayoi stepped through and the flesh knitted itself closed behind her, the sheer darkness almost took her breath away. Almost. A wave of her hand and a few muttered words brought small orbs of flame to life in the air around her. The dancing and crackling light revealed much. The heart was as she had hoped, had imagined it might be. The sheer size and majesty of the World-Breaker in its prime was almost beyond comprehension.

More majestic still, though, was the ruby light reflecting from the heart gem. It was untouched by the ravages of age or that which brought the World-Breaker low. It was clear from the wreckage that she was not alone, however. There was some beast that made its lair within the heart. She inspected the wall for a moment, then looked at the robots once more. It seemed that the sound they had made when attempting to drill into the heart's core was what drew the beast. She need not face it if she could simply secure it with some degree of discretion.

It was, of course, about that moment when the portal began to emit an incredibly unpleasant sound. Izayoi grit her teeth as she reached a hand towards the portal and clenched a fist. It sealed immediately, stopping the noise, but the damage was clearly done. Stealth would prove no ally on this day. It was time to act decisively. Izayoi drew a finger along the edge of her blade, the glistening red blood spreading to cover the entirety of the sword. She focused all the magic she could bring to bear on her blood. It may not have the sheer power of a full dragon, not yet, but it was still a potent magic catalyst. The blade seemed to grow several feet longer as the blood transformed into an impossibly sharp crystalline coating. Izayoi swung it experimentally a few times, looking quite satisfied.

Holding the enchanted blade with both hands, she squared off with the protective membrane standing between her and her prize. It may have proven too tough for the robot servants of the knights, but she was beyond compare with such creations. Her blade danced out, too quick for the eye to see. She spun it and planted it into the rubbery flesh beneath her feet. For a moment, the membrane seemed untouched. Then, with a sharp crack, pieces began to fall away and reveal the heart gem beneath. As she took it in hand, reveling in the sheer power radiating off of it, the corpse lurched to life around her.

Izayoi was stunned, for a moment, then thought back to Dead Face's warning. Was this what he had mentioned? His plan for returning to the planet below was to use the World-Breaker itself? That was... It was incredible. She would expect nothing less from the man she had hand-picked to be her partner, however. Assuming that the rest of the team had done what needed doing, all that remained was cleaning up the intruder who had dared steal what was rightfully theirs.

She tucked the heart gem away and called out, "Kamui!" A portal opened next to her and the motorcycle roared out from it. Izayoi pulled the blade free from where it stood, then leapt onto the bike. Whatever foul creature called this place home would find her no easy prey. All that remained was to charge through the thick of the defenses and buy enough time for the reanimated dragon to descend. With the speed of Kamui and her strength of arms, that was no great feat.

The roar of Kamui's engine built to a crescendo in the empty heart. The sound, distorted by the shifting of the reanimated chambers, quickly faded into the distance as Izayoi and her trusty steed cut through the untamed wilds between the dragon's heart and the nearest base. Her mouth twisted into a feral grin. They'd remember her deeds this day. They all would. Not even the Calamity Blade himself had claimed such a prize.

Not sure if the vertical movement is covered by the narrative of the Snatch or not, but will exhaust Kamui if necessary.

quote:

4:23 PM <Tricky> Izayoi decisively snatches victory!
4:23 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6
4:23 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9 = 9

+Infamy, but we're caught in the act! It seems like we have the initiative still, so we probably get the +1 forward as well.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 3, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Zilch | Location: The World Breaker

AHA! A vent! There must be some cool stuff in here. I gueeeeess those other guys got it handled up in the main halls, so I can just sneak off and get something for myself...

Tossing my jacket aside, I swooce right into the vent, following it wherever it leads.

Taking the bait.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Mini-Prompt: Fish --

Scales – The others could survive with you, at least for a while. You have a good feeling about this!

crawl crawl

Given your knowledge of the blueprints, and the fact you’re an excellent thief, you figure out that you’re headed into the Heart section of the Harvesting Base. But – slightly ‘deeper’ than the main elevator route?

crawl bump-’ow!’ crawl crawl

Suddenly, the vent groans. The Harvesting Base was built on the assumption that the World Breaker was an inert object, and the sudden refutation of that premise causes a thousand instances of scrapping or bending metal. The previously dead-quiet vent becomes a cacophony of noise. In the distance, you can hear regular blasts of thunder – Boom!…..Boom!…..Boom!

Oh, that's the World Breaker’s heartbeat.

You feel like it’s time to get out of the vent.

crawl crawling faster crawling really as fast as one can crawl.

You pop your head out of the vent. Your eyes take a second to adjust from darkness to fluorescent light. You let out a sigh of relief, out of that rickety vent, back on solid ground. You rest your chin on a blade.

Definitely this; not a Katana

It’s! Someone you don’t know!

“Rise,” She commands. It’s a bad move, you were going to do anyways. As you get out of the vent, you scope out your ‘captor’. She’s fully armored, as if prepared for battle. She’s using one hand to grip the upper-hilt of her greatsword (and threaten you), her other hand is resting protectively over a satchel at her side – oh, that’s interesting, what’s in there?

Her helmet tilts down, then up, checking you out from toe to head. “Thief.” Her sword gets another centimeter closer, “There is no honor, no bravery in theft.” Her helm shifts slighly, her gaze shifting towards the satchel at her side. You can essentially see the gears turning in her head as she realizes her own hypocrisy, and make an emergency correction, “In crawling through vents, avoiding conflict like some kind of skittish rat. Nothing of importance would be lost if I struck you down right now – but,” she takes the sword away from your throat, and uses it to point towards the door at the end of the hallway, “perhaps your appearance is my stroke of luck? Open that door for me, and I’ll let you crawl back into your hole without a scratch. This, I promise.”

The door is thick, thick steel. Numerous gouges rest upon it’s surface. There is a standard-looking keypad next to it. There is a fist mark scorched into the metal inches away from the keypad.

You are now in an Action Scene with Hellblade! You have access to all moves (basic and playbook specific). She is offering you A Deal.

What do you do?

Any questions; I'm on IRC, etc.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 5, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Worldbreaker: Innards

She follows the trail left behind by the thief. It snakes around organs and bones and pools of secretions. There are sorcerers on the surface that would cut off a hand for these--and this thief ignored it all for their prize. Jotun chokes up on her club. She's started to get excited. Were they alone? With a small team? They're moving fast--they clearly wanted to get that and get out. They're bold; Jotun is anxious to meet them.

Pursuing whoever took the Prize from the innards!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Zilch | Location: Yipes

poo poo it's a big person with a big sword calm down Merwyn calm down just give 'em what they want.

"Just a door? Pft, that's nothing! Watch me crack this lock!"

I crack my knuckles and get to work on the keypad, frantically looking around to see what's going on with this girl.

Assessing the situation and stalling for time!
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 5 = 5
drat.

"C-Could you put the sword down? It's hard to concentrate."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Curses!

Flapping her wings as gracefully as she does quickly, Seraphine catches up to Jotun.

"Jotun, I have returned. I have trapped most, if not all of the present Young Knights at the bottom of the elevator. If we move with haste, they will not be able to reach us in time." she explains to Jotun. "And... if you don't mind, I'd like to take a moment to talk after this job if you have the time. Quite frankly... I do not think that people take my words seriously in this alliance. Tell me the truth, Jotun. Do you lot merely covet my power?"

Seraphine is meddling with Jotun!

quote:

When you meddle in the plots of others… ask if they take the Cause as seriously as you do. (Spoilers: They don’t.) If they have Influence on you, they can choose to lose it in order to clear one of their conditions by laughing in your face or demeaning you for your beliefs, and you mark Curses! If they do not have Influence on you, they can choose to lie and pretend to take you seriously in order to take Influence on you, and you clear a condition.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Mini-Prompt: Fried Fish --

Scales – You have a lifetime of experience as a thief. You’ve broken into more ‘completely secure’ buildings than most people know exist. Using all of your insight and experience, you inspect the door.

Yep. It’s a door.

In your defense, it’s rather hard to think with a blade at your throat. You mention as much Hellblade the mysterious stranger holding you hostage. Hey, she actually sheathes her sword. Things are looking up!

You feel her hand grab the back of your next. It is hot. The situation has not improved. “I spared you my blade because I presumed a thief bold enough to sneak aboard the World Breaker would have the skills needed to actually access the inner vaults. If you’re not a thief, but merely a fool, then--” you'll never hear what she was going to say next, as she suddenly spins around, still holding you by the neck.

Footsteps echo in the distance.

Has help arrived?

>>

Jotun & Seraphine – The trail runs straight through the tunnel leading out of the Innards and into the Heart, but as soon as it enters the Heart proper it suddenly veers off into a dusty looking storage closet. Inside is a floor hatch, which, while closed, shows signs of being opened recently. You descend, travel down a narrow corridor, and find… Scales? And a heavily armored stranger, holding her several inches off the ground by the neck.

But! Before that happens – Jotun, Seraphine asked a very important (to her, at least), how did you answer? And, as is your nature, how did you show her how she is a monster too?

Seraphine has given you a meddle prompt, and you must give her one back! Don’t feel compelled to interpret the text literally – as long as the general thematic arc is achieve, the details are malleable to the character.

For reference; When Radicals Meddle:

quote:

When you meddle in the plots of others… ask if they take the Cause as seriously as you do. (Spoilers: They don’t.) If they have Influence on you, they can choose to lose it in order to clear one of their conditions by laughing in your face or demeaning you for your beliefs, and you mark Curses! If they do not have Influence on you, they can choose to lie and pretend to take you seriously in order to take Influence on you, and you clear a condition.

For reference; When Monsters are Meddled With:

quote:

When others meddle in your plots… show them that they are a monster too, and bring them into your dark world. If they come along willingly, take Influence on them, and they take +1 forward. If they come along kicking and screaming, they mark a condition, and so do you.

Back to the stranger holding your teammate hostage! When she sees you, she instinctively reaches for her sword, yet as her hand brushes past the satchel at her side she freezes. Just for an instant. She let’s out an annoyed grunt, and –

>>

Scales – Raises her free hand into the air, straight above her. You feel a great heat. Then,

(Star of David not canon to the fiction!)

Holy Mackerel! She burns a hole straight through the ceiling, and several layers of false floors built to hide this place. She turns to you, “Thief; we must lose these Knights. Do not run far, for I still have need of you.” Oh, does she not know you’re with Jotun and Seraphine – well, from a distance, the two of them do just look like a small troll and an angel. Not exactly the most strikingly-villainous duo.

poo poo, if she’s just going to let you go, this might be the lucky break you need. Things are looking up!

She throws you, upwards. Very hard. You rocket past several layers of still-burning metal, and rise into the main inward-facing bay of the Heart. Now with extra giant burning hole in the ground!

A brief thought crosses your mind. Your life was supposed to be like this, but recently, it’s been a lot more like this. Doesn’t seem fair.

Then you SLAM! into the ceiling.

Take a Powerful Blow!

Gravity peels you off. You hit the ground with a plop. The first thing you see when you shake the stars out of your head are – a pair of boots.

Knight -- Henry ‘Highwall’ Praid. Former Warden of the Airlann Penitentiary. Director of the World Breaker Harvesting Base.

A woman appears behind him

Mercenary/'Big Game Hunter' -- Gloria 'Gloria' Reeves. Currently contracted to the Knights of Chivalry and Order of Avalon City

An agitated look on her face, one hand on a communicator in her ear. “I can’t reach any of the Young Knights stationed here, should I try a different channel, or--”

“You won’t be able to reach them.” Highwall says in an oddly placid tone. There is a flaming hole in the ground next to him, yet he moves in a calm manner, confident that he’ll deal with it when it becomes time for him to deal with it. He squats down and looks you in the eye, “Where did you come from, young one?”

Well, you don’t have a sword at your throat, so… situation improved?

Jotun & Seraphine – After Hellblade throws Scales through the roof she pulls the satchel to her chest, clutches it tight, and prepares for a jump up of her own.

>>

Jotun – You can reach her, with words or weapons.

What do you do?

--

Crimson Chevalier – You tear through the -- long stilled, but now reawakened thanks to Dead Face -- tunnel-sized veins of the World Breaker. The path from the True Heart to the Heart Base is so perilous, that, if this was a movie it would be a ten-minute budget-breaking digital effects extravaganza.

This is not a movie. It is a very exciting and dangerous ride.

By the end of the Kamui has many new scratches, and you can almost physically hear the wolf-spirit locked inside panting. It is both literally and figuratively out of gas, but happy to have brought you to safety. Just ahead you see the florescent lights of the Harvesting Base – you’re probably going to enter into the main unloading dock, where they send of mining and scouting droids into the World Breaker.

Due to difficult terrain, Mark Kamui as Exhausted until end of issue!

Not far behind you, you can hear the chittering of a very-large creature, giving chase. tit-tat-tat-tit-tat-tat-tit

What do you do Sorry, you already made an action this prompt. Uhhhh.

Kamui asks, Who is a good boy?

--

Ratfink – If you were to enter the Heart, right now, you would:

See Scales on the ground in front of some woman in power armor, and, woah, is that Highwall? You know him. How did the Knight make his name known as the Warden of one of Rat City’s more famous jails?

See a giant, smoking hole in the ground, leading to ???

Hear a… motorcycle? In the distance, approaching rapidly?

Feel the World Breaker shift and turn as it’s heart, each beat a distant clap of thunder, pulses for the first time in ages.

What do you do

--

Dead Face --

Scrree fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 8, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Is this really the time? Fine. "Of course I take you seriously. You are dangerous and your every word reveals why." They come upon a hatch and she stops, looking Seraphine in the eyes. "You are a blue-eyed volcano in an angel costume that looks at the world and not only says 'I can fix this' but believes it. I've seen it in your eyes. You're a hungry monster, Seraphine. A martyr-monster who wants to save the world with blood." Jotun kicks the hatch open. "Understand--"

Just then, the pair catch up Scales and the thief. The accusation of being a knight raises her hackles, but she doesn't let that shake her. "Seraphine--see to Scales."

Jotun fixes her handaxe to her belt and holds out her mighty trollhorn club. "I am Elisabet, called Jotun, of the Doggerland. You have manhandled my fishwoman. Prepare to die."

Directly engaging Hellblade the mysterious stranger. Rolled a 12. I choose to Take Something Away from them (their chance to escape) and to Resist their blows

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Curses!

"Hmph." Seraphine snorts back at Jotun. "I see how it is. We'll be talkng about this again."

A series of small, bright balls of light fly towards Mercenary, and exploding like a set of flak projectiles next to her. With Mercenary forced backwards, Seraphine quickly flies inbetween Scales and the two Knights.

"Mercenary, I see. Will you ever get tired of fighting for something as base as gold?" she taunts the, well, mercenary. "If you're looking for the Young Knights, I locked them in the innards. Perhaps you should do something actually meaningful, like helping them."

quote:

23:00 Yamifenrir Seraphine Distracts Mercenary!
23:01 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+2
23:01 *** Krysmbot joined #capers!
23:01 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+2
23:01 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 8+2 = 10
Choosing to get an opportunity, and avoiding immediate retaliation for this.

Also, coming along willingly re: Monster meddle.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 9, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Zilch | Location: Yipes

<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 5 = 5
Yeah!

It actually takes me a hot minute to regain my mental faculties from being slammed through several floors, but luckily, as a fish, I'm pretty soft. At least I think I am. Let's go with that. I'm getting to my feet when I see the two Knights. poo poo gently caress god dammit. Gotta play it cool.

"Uh, hey. I was just in the neighborhood not stealing anything, and..."

And then the angel pops in and blows my cover.

"Okay yeah, I guess we're stealing thin--"

AND THEN SHE SETS OFF LIKE A DOZEN FLASHBANGS!

"NGAAAAAAH!!! GOD DAMMIT, GIRL! WARN A FISH!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
To clarify on the meddle--Jotun does not believe in the Cause. She does take you and your belief in the cause seriously because she believes that you are insane--which she tells you as part of my reaction to meddling.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Innards > Heart > ???

The memories of other animals always left Darlington with a funny taste in his mouth. So that was their life in this corpse was it? Scurrying in the darkness, shying away from the predators and the light that sought them out. He could almost relate, almost, but Underfoot didn't care, Underfoot was old. Older then Avalon, older even then the calamity that led to this world that Darlington lived in, and he remembered the days where the things that skittered in the dark places looked nothing like what he imagined rodents would look like.

Worship is worship, why get sniffy because of what the 'congregation' looks like. And they were kind of cute in a weird alien way.

It is at this point that Darlington through the ears(?) of Grubbers further within the World Breaker picked up the commotion currently happening in the heart chamber. Oh dear, did something go wrong? But the World Breaker was moving for the first time in centuries so what does that mean? It brokered investigation.

-

One look in the heart chamber with Seraphine, Scales and Shortstack preparing the throw down told him everything he needed to know. And what he knew was that he would never in his lifetime consider himself a fighter and this was not his fight. But what did also catch his eye was the hole in the ground. The memories of the Grubbers was vague and lacking in details but if this was the heart room, then was this the true heart room below? Who knows? But the way that the slag had piled up around the hole told him that this hole was created from the room below them. So there was probably something down there.

They could handle this fight, he could use something really special to go home with, Darlington slipped around and made his way to the hole.

Darlington is going to use his weird powers to sneak down the hole to ??? in the Heart room

23:14 TheNabster Aight let's do something FREAKY. +2 Freak
23:14 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
23:14 Krysmbot TheNabster, 5+2 = 7
23:14 TheNabster Good enough

Make it temporary/unstable somehow!

The smoke and flames from the recently burned through hole would have been incredibly dangerous to try and slip down unprotected. If only there was some sort of, creature that was used to the cold vacuum of space and evolved the proper shell to be able to deal with most hostile climates, hmmmm.

He whistled to the Grubbers that followed him, instantly he found himself covered in a thick chitinous shell of space insect. 'That'll do', he thought, as he slid into the hole.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 9, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Far Above The World

A crackle of energy travels through the World Breaker. For the first time in decades, muscles tense, and it’s mighty wings beat against the nothingness of space. Impossibly, it moves. Back on the surface, the dedicated group of ‘Dragonwatchers’ all begin to rub their eyes and check the alcohol percentages on their beverages.

Yet what they see is no illusion. The World Breaker is descending, and fast.

Soon, the World Breaker will encounter the upper Atmosphere.

Not Long After, the World Breaker will encounter the World.

The Main Bay – This area is where the Heart section of the Harvesting Base transitions into the flesh and bone of the World Breaker. It is a large, mostly empty space to allow for the unloading of material.

Everyone – As you hurtle towards the earth in a compound built on the chest of an ancient dragon floating in space, a cool motorcycle leaps into the room. It disappears in a sputter of magic (although not before receiving one final exchange of words from it’s master) as it’s gas tank runs out, leaving only its rider, the Crimson Chevalier, standing. This is fairly shocking.

By Snatching Victory within the True Heart of the World Breaker, Crimson Chevalier has outapaced the forces of justice! Everyone! Take +1 Forward as you move forward with the element of surprise!

She does not come empty handed. The Heart Gem is a Prize worth coveting, and many forces, both in space and in Avalon City, would seek to take it from you – including…

Highwall steps forward, his lips pursed thin. “Thiefs…” He stretches his shoulders out as he walks, they crack audibly in the air, “Surrender now, and I promise to show you lenience.” He faces Crimson Chevalier directly, and assumes a fighting stance, his hands held in fists.

His terms are absolute. He does not seem like the negotiating sort.

Seraphine Gloria ‘Mercenary’ Reeves stumbles as your angelic flashbangs explode in her face. Her extra arms spasm temporarily, and then tense up in a defense posture around her as if expecting a follow-up attack. She grits her teeth, “Don’t talk poo poo when you don’t know anything, you little...” she squints towards you, “You little pigeon!”

Well, you’ve received worse insults in your life.

Her tirade is interrupted by a loud chattering coming from the deeper flesh of the World Breaker. Following the Crimson Chevalier, the guardian of the Heart Gem…

>>>

Everyone – ...bursts into the main bay.

A New Challenger!

Significantly larger than a bus, and with significantly more legs than a bus-full-of-passengers. An overgrown parasite who, long ago, took that first lucky lick of the Heart Gem’s power. It’s eyes exude jealousy, and they are locked firmly on Crimson Chevalier.

>>>

Seraphine – The second the Drakonic Centipede enters the main bay, Mercenary’s face lights up with an odd smile. It reminds you of when you were back in the Knights, and observed a Knight Detective finding a solid lead to a criminal. It’s an expression that appears on the faces of hunters when they find their prey.

She shakes the expression off her face, “Highwall, let’s retreat and move to flank the--”

“No!” He yells back without turning to her, “They have the Heart Gem. It’s why it followed them. Subdue them, use force.” He pauses, “Unless they surrender, of course.”

She grumbles, but produces several plasma pistols and trains them on you. “Well, you heard the boss. Let’s dance, little pigeon.”

Still, you’re fairly confident she doesn’t really want to fight you. The beast that emerged from the World Breaker’s corpse – that’s her true target. A new trophy to line her wall? Gross. But, perhaps if you found the right words, or simply gave her a push with your powers, you could get her to ignore your team in favor of the Drakonic Centipede? At least for a while?

What do you do?

--

Scales – Crazy couple of minutes, huh? Had a blade at your throat, had a hand around your neck, got thrown into a ceiling, got questioned by a Knight, got flashbanged by an ally – those last two have happened to you before, albeit in reverse order.

So now you’re a little dazed, but not being actively threatened by anyone! In fact, with Highwall and the giant-fuckoff-bug eying Crimson Chevalier, and Mercenary aiming her sights at Seraphine, you’re the only member of the Alliance in the room not directly pinned down! How does it feel to – finally! – be free?

And how do you use that freedom? Protecting the Heart Gem, and it’s carrier, Crimson Chevalier, increases the chances the whole crew comes out richer. Or you could repay Seraphine’s blinding ‘favor’, and help her with the multi-armed Mercenary she’s up against. Or… you could go back down that drat hole, and get vengeance against that sword bastard who threw you into the ceiling (accidentally, while trying to ‘save’ you from your teammates)!! Or!! You could go down the hole and try to figure out how to open that damned door without a sword at your throat. There’s quire the Prize down there, after all.

What do you do?

Crimson Chevalier – Kamui took you far, but even your trusty wolf-bike couldn’t overcome the immense gulf the heavens and earth. Judging by the sudden reawakening of the World Breaker’s corpse, Dead Face is taking care of that particular problem. You are confident you, and the entirety of the World Breaker, will eventually reach the ground, but until then -- the situation is still critical.

You are flanked. On one end stands a Knight with enough confidence in his stance to not look like complete hot air. On the other, a mutated beast with nothing but hatred in it’s eyes. Both jealously seek the Heart Gem. (Just glancing at it’s deepest crimson makes your pulse race faster.) You know, you know/ you’re stronger than either them. But,

This is not a pure contest of strength. You could sit upon the Drakonic Centipede’s corpse, and send Highwall scampering away like a scolded child, yet if he holds the Heart Gem in his defeat he will smile contently, and you’ll be the loser. Possession, not pride, matters here.

If Calamity Blade were here, he’d disagree with that sentiment, but – he isn’t here! And you aren’t his student anymore! So those thoughts are just distracting drivel… right?

There’s also a strange hole in the ground, a Scales-shaped imprint on the ceiling, and a faint smell of brimstone, but those don’t seem to be directly related to your struggle for the heart gem, so why worry about them?

Faced by threats on both sides,

What do you do?

--

Secret Tunnel – A secret tunnel ‘underneath’ (so, space side instead of body side) the Heart. Connects to ???

Jotun – Hellblade The Mysterious Stranger that is definitely Hellblade flinches as you announce yourself. She glances at the satchel by her side, but draws her weapon without trying to flee. As her master taught, Pride is the Most Valuable Possession.

Doesn’t mean she isn’t pissed at your challenge, though, “I am Hellblade, pupil of the Calamity Blade – The Living Victory, Undefeated Upon the Earth.” She draws her greatsword, “Jotun… I don’t know why some Doggerland bumpkin came here to fall upon my blade.” She pauses, searching for some great followup, “And I don’t care, either!” Well, she tried.

Hellblade
Secret Move: ?????

Hellblade Marks Angry!

She charges forward, unleashing furious blows from her sword. Yet, it’s obvious she isn’t really trying to hit you. Her strikes are wide and shallow... trying to keep you back? From the satchel at her side, the door behind her – both? Either way, she is releasing an unceasing torrent of blows and flame. Heat rises supernaturally from her body, creating a haze of energy that travels upwards into the ceiling. She has answered your challenge, she is angry.

Oh, and Ratfink just sluiced down the hole in the ceiling covered in a thick armor of insect carapaces.

What do you do?

>>

Ratfink – You travel down into the secret tunnel in comfort and… style? The Grubber’s shell is thick and cozy. You clack all the way down the still-smoldering, each different Grubber acting as a piece of segmented armor. Underfoot is, for a moment, in a mood of utter contentment.

However, once you reach the tunnel proper you, and the Grubbers, feel a great heat. They panic, fearing one of the great fires known to emerge from the World Breaker’s body, and quickly scatter off into the hole above. Corralling them will take time and effort.

Your Grubber-Gear was Temporary!

Free of the Grubber’s protective embrace, you’re able to see an armored warrior using sword and flame to ward off Jotun. You recognize the figure – the Grubber’s told you of a ‘flame without smoke’ that raided the Innards. She probably has whatever Prize was taken away from there.

Hellblade doesn’t appear to have noticed you, and has her back turned. Well, this is quite the opportunity. You could go and assist your ally, or…

There is a door behind you. A haphazard jet of flame has slammed into the keypad, which now hangs loosely from melted metal by several frayed wires. It is flashing green; ‘Password Accept. Continue (Y/N)’. That’s quite the stroke of luck! You could open the door – probably for good, given the damage to the electronics – although that’d require turning your back on Jotun. Buuuuuuut Jotun is pretty strong, she can handle herself for a while, right?

If you choose to open the door; I’ll give you a mini-prompt of what’s inside. Beware! Opening it for you means opening it for everyone...

What do you do?

--

World Breaker’s Skull – It’s a skull. It’s got, skully things. And the echoing laughter of an undead necromancer.

The World Breaker – You are immense. Your wings flair out, your claws flex, your tail whips from side to side, covering miles in it’s arc. Blinking the sleep from your eyes, you gaze upon the world. It is a familiar sight. You remember faint flashes of imagery, so distant as to be faded into nearly nothing – scenes of violence and conflict; feelings of exhilaration, pride, hatred, and rage – yes, all of the dearest emotions. Their ghosts dance upon your brain now.

You spot a curiosity. A pure black spot floating high above the land, standing out starkly from the flat wastes that surround it. You tilt your head to get a better view, but the entire world goes black-- wait, why can you only see from one eye? When did you lose your other eye?

When did you die?

And
You
Awaken

>>

Dead Face – You’re still laughing when you break free of the dead dragon’s dream.

The experience of raising the World Breaker was qualitatively different from any magic you’ve performed in your (un)life. You almost felt… consumed. Yet, you’re confident the World Breaker’s corpse will complete the mission you’ve assigned to it. You can feel it’s decrepit body shift and break as it tilts decisively towards the planet below.

As you regain your bearings, you realize that the dragon’s eye has turned fully inwards. Pulsing with your(?) power, the World Breaker is watching you – no, He is watching you. From within the ancient cataract, you meet the unrelenting gaze of Your Master.

Suddenly, the eye shifts and distorts, revealing a vision of your allies, facing off against several warriors, and -- is that a massive centipede? The vision is so crisp, and the World Breaker’s iris so large, that you feel as if you could simply step forward into the scene – and you realize that you can.

This is a boon from your master. Is he pleased with your work? Beware, all his gifts are poisoned…

Yet, that strange ‘smell’ is still behind you, beckoning you to investigate.

Since Dead Face is by himself with no other characters to interact with, I’m going to break down some of his options:

*The Charnel Emperor is offering Dead Face a boon: As a free action, Dead Face can enter the iris of the World Breaker and be immediately teleported into the Heart. You can make a move before or after you teleport. If Dead Face accepts his Master’s gift; Mark your Strings.

* To investigate the strange feeling Dead Face must Assess the Situation and ask “What here is more valuable than it looks?”

* Dead Face can Unleash his Powers to teleport himself to the Heart, or, he can just physically walk from the Skull to the Nape. The Charnel Emperor might get a bit peeved at the rude refusal of his gift…

*Probably a bunch of stuff involving Dead Face’s abilities and the moves of Capers! That I haven’t thought of!!

Just don’t want to leave you hanging since you’re by yourself!

What do you do?

Scrree posted:

The Star in the Sky; The Dragon's Hoard.
A Capers! Production - Directed and Produced by Scrree, starring Crimson Chevalier as the Mastermind.

Heat Rating: 2 > 3! > 4 - The target of the raid is almost as isolated as it gets, so, despite the importance of the Harvesting Base, if you can get onto the World Breaker quietly (emphasis mine), you will have quite a bit of time before the Knights can react.

Planks: 4

1. First, you must get the (team name pending) onto the World Breaker, which is currently in space over Avalon City. - There are a variety of ways, both scientific and magical, to accomplish this task, but none of them are easy. Teleportation of such great distance normally requires rare regents and material to be stable, and while it's not impossible to grow a spaceship from a tree, that doesn’t make them cheap.

2. You’ll need to seize, through guile or force, the most valuable bits of the World Break’s body. - A visit to the World Breaker does sound like a pretty good vacation, but you're not going up their as a tourist. Make sure you grab the goods, to make the trip worth something.

3. You’ll need to keep the Knights defending the Harvesting Base busy, lest they foil your escape. - Of course there's security. There's always security. The World Breaker will be only orbit near Avalon City for a limited amount of time, and the Knights are keeping a fairly beefy guard on it.

4. Don’t forget the stick the landing! - While the issue of getting from Avalon City to space might be quite the puzzle; there is a very simple way to get from space back down to Avalon City. The tricky part is finding a way down that leaves you in one piece and not splattered on the pavement. Good luck!

All Planks Down! Victory Has Been Snatched! The corpse of the World Breaker is careening towards the earth. That's probably good for you! If mistake I make, IRC to contact me, etc!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Curses!

"Pidgeon, huh?" Seraphine replies, smiling. "A sign for peace. I know you meant it as an insult, but I'll take it as a compliment instead."

Ignoring the insults before that, she activates her angelic radiance. "You don't really have it in you to fight me, do you? Your eyes betray your true feelings. Feel free to fight the centipede - I have no business with you. I merely needed to protect my teammate."

quote:

16:18 Yamifenrir Anyhow, Seraphine distracts Mercenary! ... Again
16:18 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+4
16:18 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 11+4 = 15

"You redirect their attention to someone else (The Centipede)", and "you avoid immediate retaliation for this."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: Heart Base
Exhausted Assets: Kamui

As Kamui puts forth one last, great effort to ramp into the Heart Base, I see that there are certainly some worthy foes to be had. A gun-wielding woman and an old, but powerful looking man. We soar through the air for a brief, glorious moment, everyone's eyes tracking our grand entrance. Kamui's wheels screech to a stop on the metal plating of the base and I rubbed his side with great affection. I whispered, "You are a very good boy, Kamui. I will sacrifice many animal spirits to you upon our return." Perhaps the heat would bother a lesser being, but I was of the dragons. Soon to be of the World-Breaker. My scales were proof against such. He growled in contentment as he faded back into his home between the worlds.

I walked forward to meet the man in battle, the elements blinking to life around me. Flickering orbs of fire, crystalline structures of ice, twisting snakes of wind, and a halo of earth surrounded me as I marched forward. His fists would find my command of blade and spell more than a match. His insults failed to shake my heart, as did his offer of clemency. I grinned widely, my sharp teeth gleaming in the soft light, "It seems you know no shame, old man. You lot are the true thieves. I merely act to reclaim my birthright." I leveled my blade at him, about to charge into battle, when the guardian emerged.

Our heads both turned towards this new threat. A monstrous parasite, one that had clearly supped upon the Heart-Gem's power. Tch. I had expected that there would be something of the sort, but it came at a difficult time. Perhaps my former master would have reveled in the chance to fight three worthy foes at once. I was not him. My mission this day was to secure the Heart-Gem and use it to reinvent myself. To cast off the limits of this mortal frame. Luckily, it seemed, Seraphine saw an opportunity to make one enemy fight another. That left the old man to me, a task I was most certainly up to. I would break his spirit before the centipede or the woman of many arms concluded their struggle.

My eyes danced over the room. Scales lay on the floor. She had her uses, but a pitched battle was not one such. The hole... that had promise. I charged towards the old man, "It seems might shall decide the day! Taste the blade of the Crimson Chevalier!" In an instant, we exchanged dozens of blows. His fists were as hard as steel and almost as nimble as my blade. Were it a contest of strength alone, it would be difficult. He was more worthy than I had expected. Still, though, I was not one to rely on a blade alone. My blood was the old blood, rich with the magic that had changed this world.

As we exchanged blows, the elements surrounding me had shifted to surround him. He surely noticed, being a veteran of many battles, but my blade gave him little time to react. After another clash between my blade and his fists, I used the momentum from his strike to leap back. I gave him a feral grin as I leveled my free hand at him and clenched it into a fist. The elements crashed into his body, scalding and freezing and battering it from all directions. I had no doubt that he would break free from the assault momentarily, but the opening was all I needed. Flipping my blade into it's sheathe, I leaped towards him. As I cut through the air, I spun into a drop-kick and hit him straight in the gut. He tumbled backwards head over heels as I landed, but that was all I needed. As the elemental assault died down, his vision would surely clear just in time to watch as he fell through that strange hole in the floor.

I looked on as he vanished from sight with no little pride. Perhaps that was not how Calamity Blade would have resolved such a matter, but I was not him. I was Yatsugiri Izayoi, the Crimson Chevalier. The rightful heir of the World-Breaker. The Knights would not take that from me, no, and neither would some overgrown bug. I maintained my guard as I turned to watch what transpired between the woman and the guardian.

quote:

7:23 AM <Tricky> Izayoi directly engages Highwall! (+1 from Seize)
7:23 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
7:23 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9+3 = 12

Avoiding his blows and Taking his ability to remain in the room.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Zilch | Location: Careening towards the earth

This job's loving sucked! I get blinded, held at bladepoint, thrown into a ceiling, interrogated by the fuzz, blinded AGAIN, we're heading towards the surface of the planet at near terminal velocity, and NOW THERE'S A loving MONSTER!

You know what?

gently caress this.

I am not a fighter! If I'm going to die, I might as well get something out of it! I'll leave the Knights and that....thing to everyone else! I've got some unfinished business to take care of. I hop down the hole I came in through, grabbing the edge of it at each floor to avoid falling thirty feet onto my face (Good thing I have good grip strength!) and making my way to the door I was forced to open earlier. What the hell did that bitch want from here so bad anyway? I aim to find out. Looking at it, it's a pretty basic lock, simple stuff without a blade to my throat.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 14, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: The World-Breaker - The Skull -> Heart
Exhausted Assets: Library of Tomes | Emperor Strings:1/5

The master is helping him out directly. That is never a good thing. With a sigh, Dead Face looks at the giant centipede and the various individuals attacking his allies, "I suppose I'll need to give them a hand. However, there is something I must do first."

Whatever that smell is, Dead Face wants to find out the cause of it. If his hunch is right, the scent is related to what killed the World Breaker He goes up to the gouged out right eye socket.. Looking at the damaged area, he tries to trace the path of whatever killed the fearsome dragon. His efforts prove fruitless. Perhaps if he had more time, he could figure it out, but the others need his assistance. This is really going to bug him. Cursing under his breath, Dead Face returns to the portal.

As he approaches the eye, he sees Izayoi blast away Highwall. Stepping through it, he ends up right next to her. "Ooh, a hole in one. Nice work partner." He does a little golf clap. "It looks like things are going well on your end. As you might have guessed, I have arranged for our exit strategy. We should be landing shortly." He points at Gloria and the centipede. "So who do you think will win? My money's on the giant centipede."

4/13/2017 5:55:57 PM<IShallRiseAgain> Assessing the situation
4/13/2017 5:56:03 PM<IShallRiseAgain> !roll 2d6
4/13/2017 5:56:04 PM<Krysmbot> IShallRiseAgain, 6 = 6
Marking a string to teleport, and I also get +1 to curses

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

"All this heat--but no true fire, Hellblade!" Jotun brings her mighty club down, the greatsword meeting it barely in time. "Anger, but no rage, no killing intent." Blow after blow rains down upon the Hellblade as Jotun shouts, "Every blow must be a killing blow, without hesitation! You--you strike not to kill or even wound. Does the Calamity Blade take charity cases now? Were I fighting Izayoi, one of us would already be dead."

Provoking Hellblade into giving someone an opportunity to steal his satchel. Rolled a 9--Someone grab that satchel. (Ratfink maybe?)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: Heart Base

It was a close shave, but Izayoi managed to avoid cleaving the lich apart as he suddenly appeared beside her. Her fingers twitched by the hilt of her blade, but retreated slightly as he began to speak. She favored him with a sincerely impressed look, "I would not have dreamed we might use the World-Breaker as our route back to the planet beneath. Your skills continue to impress, Dead Face." Turning back towards the centipede and the woman, she considered the two. "Mm. The beast has supped upon the World-Breaker's power. It is no simple adversary. Yet, all the same, I think that the woman may yet surprise you. There is a hunger in her eyes that I have seen before. On his face."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Secret Tunnel

Two warriors facing off, one was brash, bold and dangerous. The other was... Well she also seemed brash, bold, and dangerous. Both were equally dangerous to each other and that suited him just fine. Ratfink wasn't a fighter, and he felt that Jotun had the measure of this... Hero? Knight? Mercenary? Who knows. So it wasn't his immediate problem.

What he did have the measure of however was this door that was right behind him, seemingly subjected to some very direct attempts at lock-picking before the picker - possibly the heavily armoured fiery woman behind him - gave up at her apparent interruption. It seemed to work however, all the door needed was someone to push the button.

Darlington was in very many ways, a rat, and that included being patient, opportunistic, and having an uncanny ability at turning up at just the right time to steal away with the goods.

"The second rat gets the cheese" He said to himself, smiling. "How apt." With a delicate press on the keypad, he unlocked the door and slinked inside.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 15, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Mini Prompt -- What's Behind The Door???

Ratfink, Scales -- The door slides open, revealing --

Art credit to this guy i found through google

A small room containing a single glass tube; inside resides an odd, red... flame? It flickers in and out of sight. Flaring out to such an extent that it seems to risk bursting out of it's glass prison, only to smolder down to a pale, thing light not even fit for embers. It takes only a few seconds of observation to realize that it is cycling in sync with the booming heartbeat of the World Breaker -- but, strangely enough, it's rhythm seems more authentic than the raw flesh revived by Dead Face?

One of the monitors in the room is displaying a graph. It tracks the fluctuation of the flame. It has been beating at the exact pace of the World Breaker's heart for, well, the records only go back a couple weeks, but probably even before then. Probably all the way back to when the World Breaker was still alive.

You've Discovered the Secret Prize of the (False) Heart! A Portion(?) of the World Breaker's Soul!

But you two aren't scientists, here to observe or discover -- you're here to steal. And what becomes immediately obvious is that it's going to be a bastard of a job. Passwords and physical keys to access the computers, protective runes carved into the glass, this room got the works. It probably cost just as much to build as the entire Innards section of the Harvesting Base. It's all stuff you could get past; eventually. But given the sounds coming from outside and above the room, eventually is going to need to happen immediately.

What do you do?

The Prize is well protected! Unleash Your Powers to overcome this obstacle and describe your means of transportation/possession for this dragon's soul to acquire the prize! Or, let the other sucker do that, and then take it from them! Or, go and affect the world outside this tiny room!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: False Heart Prize Room

"Right..." Physical locks, digital passwords, magical runes. Someone doesn't want anyone to take this thing. The locks wouldn't be too much of a problem most of the time, but we don't know the passwords to this thing and generally hitting magical words with a length of pipe is a good way to feel magical backlash causing you to break out in chronic hair growth. It would certainly be a right bastard to get a normal thief.

But we aren't normal thieves though. Darlington rolled up his sleeves and looked at his partner in crime.

"Nice of you to show up." He said, approaching the console and laying two hands on each one. "I can open the container if you can grab the flame Scales, but I can't do both. If we had more time we could probably do this slowly but we don't. So i'm going to have to brute force this thing and it's probably going to set off counter-measures and every single alarm in the place." He looked over his shoulders. "If I get incinerated could you just sweep all my ashes into a jam jar or something?"

Turning back to the task at hand, Ratfink looked at the task in front of him. Locks, passwords, runes. These things take time to undo, time we do not have. Therefore, we cheat.

"Underfoot" He muttered under his breath, the shadows behind Darlington seemed to creep up his back and along his arms at this point. Fingertips turned into claws, black shadowy fur ran up his arms and very gently he let the amorphus mass of Underfoot ease into the tiny nook and crannies of consoles.

The thing about electronic locks is that ultimately even if you double encrypt everything and put secret 20 letter passwords and all that stuff. All it is extra work to get to an electronic trigger to turn on the motors to drop the blast shields, and if someone were to with the power of a symbiotic demi-god could say, link the bit that operates this part to the main power source and short circuit the entire complicated system entirely to make it go. Then there are no passwords, just a button to push. Of course this carried the risk of being electrocuted but, we are in a hurry right?

"Now one of these things should just be the connection that makes the thing open, so all I have to do is push the right ones. When it opens, grab it and run. And I think it should be... This one!"

15:09 TheNabster Ratfink is gonna try and git that thing. With Freak +2
15:09 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
15:09 Krysmbot TheNabster, 5+2 = 7
15:09 TheNabster Good enough

Ratfink's gonna make it temporary or unstable, and count on Scales to grab it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Curses! 4/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Zilch | Location: Getting the score of a lifetime

GOTCHA!

I pull out a vial, (a thief is always prepared!) and transfer the Soul into it, tucking it in my jacket and booking it, briefly considering heading back into the fray and helping the others before deciding...

gently caress THAT poo poo, I'M GETTING OUTTA HERE!

Alright, alright, I studied the blueprints of this place carefully. There's gotta be a way outta here. And I guess MAYBE I could let the others know about the escape route.

Assessing
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 6 = 6
drat.

.....gently caress it, I'll find it somehow!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

In Space, But Not For Long...

As it’s talons reach out and scrap the very top layers of the sky; the impossible is made real. The greatest dragon to ever exists overcomes it’s eternal exile, and returns to the Earth.

Not as a conqueror, but as a corpse. Not to destroy, but to merely create an exit for a few wily miscreants.

Perhaps, in such a reduced state, with such a base purpose, what happened next was inevitable.

Now, the World Breaker has encountered the upper atmosphere.

In Some Time, the World Breaker will encounter the World.

-----

The Main Bay...

Seraphine Gloria chuckles a little, “Pigeons aren’t symbols of peace, that’s dov-- You know what, nevermind.”

Gloria 'Mercenary' Reeves - Big Game Hunter

She folds her arms, pointing her weapons away from you. For obvious reasons, merely gazing upon your angelic grace puts her in an unusually relaxed mood. “Look, little pigeon, you and your little gang of friends might have fun stealing and messing around, but when you’re an adult you realize your actions have consequences. If you’ve got a job, then you’ve got to follow through even if--”

Then Highwall gets thrown down a hole.

Unsupervised, Gloria immediately charges the Drakonic Centipede.

>>>

Everyone – Moving her arms with incredible unity and dexterity, Gloria vaults unto and begins to climb the Centipede’s back. With it’s attention purely focused on Izayoi and the Heart Gem, the mercenary goes entirely unnoticed by the monster, which can only imagine her as some kind of gnat. Reaching her destination at the base of the Centipede’s spine, she halts her ascent and grabs for her pistols. Instead of firing them, however, she ‘molds’ them together in a very quick, very practiced motion. After only a couple seconds of reconfiguration, she is holding a long, thin rifle. “Oh, what a wondrous trophy!” She yells, and fires what should’ve been a perfect plasma shot into the brain-stem of the Drakonic Centipede.

Should’ve been, but wasn’t. Right before she fired, the entire Heart base – no, the World Breaker itself began to shake. Turbulence from entering the atmosphere? Whatever the cause, the shifting startled the Centipede into motion, and ruined Gloria’s perfect shot.

The plasma bullet still streaks along the outside of the overgrown centipede’s face. One of it’s mandibles falls to the ground with a thunk.

The Drakonic Centipede marks Angry

It begins to tantrum. Throwing Gloria off it’s back, and striking out in great fury as ichor drips down it’s face. The walls and the ceiling of the Heart Base shudder even harder.

>>>

Crimson Chevalier – You hold the Heart Gem. Your enemies war against each other. Nobody has performed greater feats, held greater ambition, or grasped greater treasures than you. You feel like pushing for a mission into space as the alliance’s first mission was an exceptionally good idea.

The shaking intensifies.

>>>

Dead Face – So many distractions. The search for the mysterious smell in the skull, the whims of your master, the needs of your teammates, the bets you’ve made with your teammates – come on, Centy, you can pull through!

It’s enough to make an undead man forget that he performed some of the greatest necromancy in the history of, well, ever, just a few moments back.

That is -- until the feedback hits you.

Immediately, you feel it. Some part of the World Breaker; whose body is infused from claw to snout with your magic, is – gone. A large part. Your mind expands into your spell. With quick focus, you learn that… a wing... was sheared off… by the trauma of reentering the atmosphere. Oh, that’s bad.

The room begins to tilt.

-----

High Above Avalon City...

The World Breaker – For the first time in centuries, you feel air on your scales.

Burning, blisteringly hot air. The pain of reentering atmosphere; always an unpleasant vexation.

Was it wrong for you, even as an empty shell, to instinctively attempt to relieve this pain? You stretched out your wings, as you had done a hundred thousand times before in life – could you have expected the missing tendons, the long-chewed bones?

Could you’ve expected your right wing to shear off?

Unbalanced, you begin to turn in the air. You stabilize with your back facing the earth. Your one eye – which, in a cruel joke, is even now possessed by a mad specter – stares into the uncaring stars. A cruel final sight, as you meet your dissolution.

Your orbit has ended. Your glide has failed. Your fall has begun.

You can't do anything.

-----

In the Main Bay...

Seraphine, Crimson Chevalier, Dead Face – As the World Breaker turns, gravity inverts. You slam into the ceiling.

Then, as it balances itself on it’s back, you fall back unto the floor. As Scales proved earlier, this actually doesn’t hurt too much.

Then the Drakonic Centipede; still flailing wildly, falls on top of you.

Then the floor gives out.

All three of you, Take a Powerful Blow.

Gloria Marks Afraid

<<<

(Moments before), In the Secret Hallway...

Jotun – You’re taunting should’ve worked, would have worked! Had you not made one small miscalculation.

“Who the hell is Izayoi?!” Hellblade shouts as she parries your blow. The power behind it forces her to take a single step back, “Wait. I don’t care! I don’t care who your friends are or how much ‘killing intent’ you hold in your heart. It would be no challenge for me to take the horns from every Troll in,” a pause, as she tries to remember the Troll’s homeland, “in the whole world! But what use is a pile of worthless trophies? I’m not here to kill, you mindless brute! I”, and she angles her sword to the side, preparing for a charge, “seek only strength itself!”

A half step forward. The sound of a door opening. A sudden halt, and Hellblade turns her back on you.

Hellblade does not fall to your provocation, but chooses to stumble! You take +1 forward against her!

She jumps away from you, and starts a dead sprint for the now-open room. For a warrior to turn their back on a fight… It was so offense, you probably would’ve instinctively tackled and pummeled her if a man hadn’t fallen from the ceiling right in front of you.

Henry ‘Highwall’ Praid -- Knight

Highwall slams hard into the floor, but manages his landing well enough to avoid breaking any bones. Did he learn that from the training required of a stout Knight? When he recovers himself, and looks up to the sight of the most secret, most secure treasure of the World Breaker being pillaged in front of his eyes – that’s when something breaks.

Highwall marks Hopeless

He considers you briefly. If you’re a thief, then all he is hopelessly outnumbered and all if already lost, if not... he just has to believe you're not, “Young Knight, I do not know you, but for the sake of Avalon we must--”

His spiel is interrupted as the ceiling collapses on both of you.

You should take a powerful blow; but don’t!

>>>

In the Soul Containment Facility...

Ratfink – Yeah! Scales got the goods!

thud

>>>

Scales – Yeah! You got the goods!

thud thud

>>>

Ratfink – Wait, are those footsteps? Why is Scales just kind of spacing out? This would be a good time to call out to her, but unfortunately the electric current Underfoot manipulated to unlock the case is a little unstable. You’ll need just a few seconds of absolute focus, bent underneath the computer terminals, to avoid being electrocuted. It’s honestly not that much time, but…

Sometimes just a few seconds can make all the difference.

thud thud thud

>>>

Scales – This is it. The big haul. The grand cheese. In the handy-dandy vial you always carry is something so rare most people wouldn’t even believe it exists!

Now, how to get it out? Your mind races, going over the blueprints you stole just a few days ago. Yes, there was a ventilation shaft in the roof of this room! You glance up – there are a whole lot of loud, metalic crunching noises coming from the upper floors of the Heart. Ehhhh maybe not the safest way to go. You could go back down the ventilation shaft that lead you here in the first place, back to the innards – you’d just need to sneak past the fighting fools out there.

With that thought, you turn your head to the entrance, and for the first time notice Hellblade and Hellblade’s rapidly approaching fist.

Mark Afraid

You fall, somersault three times on the floor, and come to a rest by slamming into a wall. That iron-clad rear end in a top hat packs a punch! You look at your hand; your handy-dandy vial (and the Prize contained within) is gone.

Hellblade is laughing. She holds it gleefully.

At that moment, the roof collapses.

>>>
The Main Bay is Destroyed.
>>>

The Secret Room and the Ruined Hallway: Hidden underneath the main Heart base was the Soul Containment Facility. After the wing-loss and uncontrolled flipping of the World Breaker; this secret room was the only place reinforced enough to survive, and the people inside were the only one’s mostly unaffected by chaos. The SCF and hallway outside it currently contain everyone. Unless specified in the prompt; everyone can see and interact with everyone else.

Crimson Chevalier – No matter how many stones battered you as you fell, no matter how much the landing hurt, no matter what; you held unto the Heart Gem. Clutched it to your heart. It was unthinkable not too.

And as you recollect yourself on the floor (assuming you’re not passed out), you open your eyes to a pair metal boots. Your gaze flicks up. It’s – a figure you know of. The one He chose after you. Your successor.

Hellblade

Hellblade: Angry, Secret Move: ?????

In her hand is a flame in a glass tube. She crushes the glass, and unleashes the flame. It’s memorizing, and you instinctively know what it is. The soul of the World Breaker. At least a fragment -- and Hellblade, Hellblade is the one who holds it!

She reaches into the satchel at her side, and pulls out…

Prize of the Innards! A Dragon’s Egg!

Hellblade unleashes her own fire, roaring out from her armor, but it pales dimly in comparison to the World Breaker’s soul. She holds the two treasures in her hands; her intentions obvious, yet she still feels the need to announce, “Oh, greatest flame to ever live. By my will, be reborn into this world!” Hellblade draws the soul into the egg.

Prize of Hellblade's Desire! The World Breaker, (To Be) Reborn.
Two Prizes have been consumed! But perhaps, something of even greater value has been created?

You are almost overwhelmed by a barrage of thoughts. The wastefulness of her actions. What you could’ve done with that soul and the Heart Gem together! Yet, the enticing potential that lies within that egg. The fact that she is even here at all.

Then, having completed her mission, Hellblade clutches the egg with one arm, draws her sword with the other, glances directly at you – and turns without saying anything.

Does she even know who you are?

Fulfilling the Scion roll made so long ago! Mark Angry or Insecure, your call.

In the stomach of a dragon.
With your mentor’s disciple standing in front you.

What do you do?

-----

Seraphine – (Assuming you don’t pass out). The fall was rough, but for whatever reason you feel less scratched up than you should be – your angelic skin remains mostly flawless, despite the many rocks that battered you on the way done. A small benefit of your new body? A guarantee that, in times of struggle, you will always be presentable to the masses?

You regain your senses near Gloria; one of her robotic arms is trapped under layers of rubble. With an expression of loss on her face, she uses her other arms to disconnect it from her suit, and pulls free of it. Now five armed and breathing rapidly, she turns to you, “Oh, little pige-- dove, am I glad to see you safe.”

She points her rifle at you.

“Those wings are big enough for two, right? We’re going to find a way out of here, and you’re going to fly me… literally anywhere else! I don’t care!” She shakes her head, “You liked being called a symbol of peace? Well, I'm done fighting -- gently caress the contract, just get me off this goddamn dragon!”

Despite pointing a weapon directly at you, Gloria’s fingers remain clear of the trigger. Her eyes show more fear than anything else, and she is looking at you to save her. Will you?

What do you do?

-----

Dead Face – (Assuming you don’t pass out). In some ways, the fall was easier for you than for the others. No skin to be scratched, for one, and a lot fewer organs to risk being crushed. In other ways though, it was somewhat worse. As you regain your senses, you realize that your lower half is trapped underneath a piece of ceiling.

Oh, don’t worry, there doesn’t seem to be any extra damage. You can still wiggle your toes just fine. And you’re a skinny guy! You should be able to shimmy out with a little bit of time and effort. Until then, though, you’re going to be awkwardly sticking out of the side of the wall. And that’s not all…

Directly in front of you, the Drakonic Centipede brushes debris off it’s back. Bleeding from it’s neck, it sniffs the air aggressively. Still looking for the Heart Gem? It’d be very easy to get it’s attention. And if you did, it’d probably really help Izayoi in the way that ‘not being hunted by a giant centipede’ is always helpful to someone. You already impressed the alliance’s fellow mage by reviving the World Breaker, but it can’t hurt to keep a good thing going, right?

Or maybe it’s time to ignore the outside world? Focus on your own magic? The World Breaker is damaged, and falling. The body, er, situation is kind of rapidly deteriorating; and it was your idea to take such a flashy exit. Maybe it’s your responsibility to fix it? If you can?

You also got a pretty good vantage point on the others. As always, your master is in your ear, offering you secrets – for a price.

What do you do?

For this prompt, your mobility is limited. Otherwise, go wild!

-----

Jotun – That should’ve been a lot worse.

You were right under the collapse. Multiple floors of material falling on you wouldn’t have killed you – you’re Jotun, after all – but it wouldn’t have been pleasant. By the time the cacophony of noise ends, however, you are entirely unharmed with a firm grip on your club. Then the dust clears a little more, and it makes sense.

Highwall is standing slightly over you, hands poised upwards, holding a large piece of ceiling. On top of the slab are the several hundred pounds of debris that should’ve fallen on you. You swear that, under his breath, you hear him whisper “It is the duty of the Knight to bear the burdens of Paradise.” Then he shakes his head as if throwing off a distant memory.

He looks at you, eyes ablaze in the fury of justice.

In making sure you don't Take a Powerful Blow, Highwall Marks Angry and Vulnerable

“Young one, I do not know you, but you must possess great strength to wield such a great weapon.” He tilts his head – the most he can move his body, holding up as much weight as he is – towards your club, “What these fools seek here could destroy Avalon. No, it could destroy all that remains of this world. I entrust a mission to you – do not let any of these knaves escape. Retrieve the World Breaker’s soul at any cost.”

Is he ordering you? Does he know who you are? Definitely not. Are you going to tell him, and crush his hopes?

Are you thankful that he protected you? Do a respect a man who would sacrifice himself for an unknown child? Or think him a fool?

Through the dusty air, you immediately spot Hellblade’s flame. She turned her back on you in a fight. Are you going to make her regret it? But, if you do head off that way, won’t it look like you’re following Highgear’s orders? Maybe you just need to say something cool and clarifying, like, 'I’m not doing this because you told me to, I-idiot!'

What do you do?

-----

Ratfink – You got Underfoot out of the electronics without being electrocuted. That’s a plus. It doesn’t seem like Hellblade has noticed you, being that you were crouched under a desk when she entered. That’s another plus. Scales got punched in the face pretty hard. That’s, eh. Do you think she deserved it for standing around?

As the dust settles from the collapse, two things come to you.

The first is that the Grubbers are, in their own animal way, praying pretty fervently to their new god for safety. Understandably so, given all the chaos your alliance has brought to their longtime home. Underfoot brings one prayer to your attention; a grubber in the Innards prays that the hot air and loud whistling noise coming from the outer scales of the World Breaker isn’t some kind of new predator.

Air entering from the outside. That means a hole. That loose scale you discovered when you asked the Grubbers for a way out earlier? It probably popped open in all the commotion. If you could get the alliance over there, it’d be a quiet way out without having to rely on Seraphine blowing a hole through the wall or something. A big if, but it’s never bad to have an exit plan.

The other thing isn’t mystical, just instinct from your life on the streets – Hellblade is looking for a way out. The way she’s looking around and moving, if she finds an exit, she’ll take it without hesitation. Which… you might be able to use to your advantage? You haven’t encounter many armored flame demons in Rat City.

As you listen to the Grubbers pray, as you feel the World Breaker descend; do thoughts of your brother come to your mind?

And within the comfortable darkness, knowing that the time for hiding has come to an end,

What do you do?

-----

Scales – Ow.

Oowwwww.

With a steel gauntlet imprint on your cheeks, you regain your senses just in time to see Hellblade crush your handy-dandy vial in his iron fist. That’s a step too far! You’ve had that vial for, at least a months, probably! Oh, and she does some mystic mumbo-jumbo and puts the Soul inside the Egg, probably destroying it forever. Sigh. Well, dragon’s eggs are super rare and expensive, and a dragon’s egg with a dragon’s soul infused in it is probably, uh, literally priceless? It’s just so hard to get excited when...

Is it even worth trying anymore? Maybe this is just going to be a bad day no matter what or something? Part of you doesn’t even want to get back up because you think you’ll just get smacked back down.

Making it explicit; if you don’t take any more moves trying to get a Prize or Treasure for the rest of the Caper. It will count as indulging in your fear, and Afraid will automatically be removed at the End of Issue.

Another part of you can’t help but notice – really, it’s almost involuntary – your eyes pick it up, your brain makes the connection, all without any effort.

When Hellblade took the egg from the satchel; it looks like it only lost about half of it’s weight.

Which means…

She’s got another egg! Another Prize! That greedy-- you almost admire her stupid ambition. To successfully steal two priceless dragon eggs, and then keep going and raid the secret, most secure place in the entire base while holding them by your side in a goddamn purse!?

A bit glumly, you realize that there was basically no way Hellblade gets into this room – and past all the security on the Soul – without you and Ratfink doing it for her.

Well; such is life.

Your eyes dart to the hallway outside the room. It’s pretty messed up (and most of the alliance is there!), but… yes, the vent you crawled out of. You can just make out the entrance from the rubble. If you want to bail now, that’s the way to go.

If you want to.

What do you do?

-----

GM Commentary --
Currently planning on having the World Breaker land/hit the ground in two prompts. Surfacing this information because I'm not 100% sure, and want to ping you guys on whether that seems like good dramatic timing.

As always, contact me on IRC if there are any issues/mistakes in the prompt. This one is... pretty big, and it does a lot. Maybe too much? I do feel that all of my moves against y'all are fictionally justified (otherwise I wouldn't put them in!), but maybe I went mad with power after finally getting a few hard moves to work with? And interesting, or at least proactive, antagonists?

I imagine next prompt has to be a bit more concise, as the chances of me having to nearly as much character shuffling are slim. (Before you accuse me, Bring Them Together is an explicit GM move :x)

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 25, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Heart Base

One moment, Izayoi was enjoying genial — if guarded — conversation with her undead partner while watching a giant, mutated centipede tussle with a four-armed woman. The next, all hell broke loose. Repeated impacts sent her flying between ceiling, floor, and finally into a completely separate lower chamber. The centipede's prodigious bulk did not help matters. As she assumed her footing once more, she was glad to see that the Heart Gem had not left her clutches. No matter what was happening to cause such chaos, she merely needed to hold on just a little longer.

quote:

8:05 PM <Tricky> Izayoi takes a powerful blow!
8:05 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6
8:05 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7 = 7

Provoking Scales to foolhardy action!

Of course, that was easier said than done in the chaos. Not only were there the two Knights, there was the monstrous centipede and a very familiar armored figure. Izayoi's claws dug into her palms, beads of blood pricking out, as she remembered all of the indignities that had plagued her since the Calamity Blade cast her out. Since he replaced her with this... This... Incompetent oaf! And what was she doing with that vial? The egg? Izayoi's mouth dropped in horror as Hellblade smashed them together. If she had just been able to combine the fragment of the soul with the Heart Gem, what wonders would that have brought her?

The snub left Izayoi feeling cooler than the flagrant misuse of her heritage! The World-Breaker was rightfully hers! That demon had no right to claim it!

Izayoi marks Angry!

There was only one thing to do. She needed to get it. She would throw bodies at the armored giant, if necessary, to see that egg in rightful hands. Her rightful hands. Izayoi looked around the room. Scales caught her attention. Between springing the fish-woman from jail and rescuing her from that ill-advised jaunt to her warehouse heist, there were debts that needed to be repaid. Now was an opportune moment.

Loud enough to cut through the din, she bellowed, "Scales! Get me that egg and your debts are paid! Carve it from her hands, thief! Fight as if your life depends on it, for my patience is thin and my blade is sharp!" It wasn't as if she expected much from her, but surprises were always possible. They were, after all, in the tumbling corpse of the greatest dragon known to the world, plummeting through the atmosphere.

quote:

8:15 PM <Tricky> Izayoi tells Scales to get with the program and tear that glowing egg from Hellblade's hands or die trying!
8:15 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
8:15 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+3 = 9

Unless Scales Directly Engages Hellblade, she marks a condition. Since Izayoi is Cold and Cruel, Scales also shifts her labels +Danger/-Freak.

Pausing a moment, she added, "That goes for any of you! Get that egg and I will see you richly rewarded!"

Promising to buy whoever gets The World Breaker's Egg for Izayoi two assets at End of Caper.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: The World-Breaker - Heart Base

As he tumbles through the air, Dead Face sighs. He had of course done research to avoid this exact scenario. According to Hemsworth's Comprehensive Guide to Dragons, the wings should have stayed intact even with the heavy damage. After this was over, he was going to write a strongly worded letter to the publisher.

After hitting a wall on the way down, Dead Face manages to grab onto the centipede. Maybe it will somewhat cushion the fall despite its hard exoskeleton? They hit the ground. Its not exactly a soft landing, but it surprisingly works to a certain extent. He bounces off the centipede and lands on the floor. However, before he can get up, the ceiling lands on top of him. He's trapped.

After discovering that its going to take an effort to dislodge himself, Dead Face surveys the area. It seems that everyone was in the same place now. He spots Hellblade, and watches with keen interest as she performs her ritual. Recognizing the value of what she created, Dead Face is not surprised when Izayoi offers an award. Knowing that she has resources that would be quite valuable to him, he is determined to help her retrieve Hellblade's prize.

A piece of metal is falling from the ceiling that will hit the floor next to him. Perfect. Quickly, he opens a portal in the spot it will land. He places the portal's exit right in front of the arm that Hellblade is holding the egg with. Maintaining it momentum, the piece of metal makes a solid hit on her arm.

4/23/2017 12:09:28 AM<IShallRiseAgain> Take A Powerful Blow
4/23/2017 12:09:39 AM<IShallRiseAgain> !roll 2d6+1
4/23/2017 12:09:39 AM<Krysmbot> IShallRiseAgain, 3+1 = 4
Marking Curses

4/23/2017 12:28:14 AM<IShallRiseAgain> Hmmm, I think I'm going to go with Distract
4/23/2017 12:28:19 AM<IShallRiseAgain> !roll 2d6+1
4/23/2017 12:28:20 AM<Krysmbot> IShallRiseAgain, 7+1 = 8
Create An Opportunity

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Freak -2 | Danger 0 | Trouble +3 | Superior 0 | Menace +2
Curses! 5/5 | Infamy 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Fuckin' sick of this poo poo!

How DARE she!

How dare this metal IDIOT punch me in the face. And how DARE she steal MY stuff which was THEIR stuff but I took it so it's MY stuff now!

She's got another egg in there. It won't be hers for long.

Directly engaging!
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 8 = 8 6
Because I guess it's cool to let poo poo like this sit for two weeks.

As soon as I approach her, my survival instincts finally kick in and I immediately turn tail and run back.

"NO HAUL IS WORTH THIS BULLSHIT!"

Taking "Watch the Birdie" for my advance

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 5, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Curses!

Seraphine looks irked for a second, but quickly calms down. "There is no need to threaten me, mercenary. I will always help people in need." she declares, extending her arm towards the nearby wall, which promptly gets melted rapidly by searing light.

Walking to the hole, she extends her hand. "Take my hand." she tells the scared mercenary, who does so. After she finally does, she holds onto her with surprising strength, and takes off into the skies with an unlikely passenger holding on for dear life.

quote:

23:36 Yamifenrir Seraphine takes a powerful blow
23:36 Yamifenrir !r 2d6
23:36 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 8 = 8
23:36 Yamifenrir Winging it! I guess
Giving ground or an opportunity - Seraphine is an easy target in the air.

quote:

23:48 Yamifenrir Seraphine helps people in need! By running away!
23:48 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+2
23:48 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 10+2 = 12

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: World Breaker Stomach

The Grubbers are congregating, their blameless and frugal existance on the very edge of space was quickly being disturbed as the several thousand ton corpse of the dragon hurled towards the earth. They were frightened, and in the midst of that intense, animal fear it was all the attuned mind of Darlington could do to maintain self control.

But he knew of the way out, the loose scale, he felt it's rough location in this shaking, creaking hulk as he ran the logistics of the situation through his head.

He made a snap decision the moment he saw Scales lay out the Hellblade with a solid punch. She could probably get a few steps before the her target got up and then... But there was the other bag wasn't there, with the other prize?

Instincts took over.

18:11 TheNabster Ratfink's gonna grab the shiny and leg it to the ESCAPE zone
18:11 Scrree Thaaaanks Nabster; wub you
18:11 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
18:11 Krysmbot TheNabster, 8+2 = 10
18:11 TheNabster Ye

>Reveal something you absconded with. (The Other Dragon Egg)

With an almost snake like speed, the bag with the Dragon Egg was plucked out of the sword-woman's grip as Ratfink fled with alacrity away from the possibly extremely angry by now Hellblade. "I'll hold onto this, I know a way out and we need to get to it right now, or we won't have the chance. Got it? Good, lets go."

Without even pausing to see if they were going to follow him, he was gone, left down this hallway, 2nd door on the right... Yeah he recognized this area in a sort of muzzy way, and he also felt the hive mind of the Grubbers converging on the area with him. The plan he had in mind for their escape was a rough one that he was making up as they went along, but right now it was the only plan going.

He tapped the radio to his head. "Meet me around the dragon's left flank near the back leg, there's a open hole in it's side and it's easier to get to then the hangers right now, finish what you are doing and run."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 4, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Worldbreaker

She looks at the struggling knight for a moment then grabs her club heading out towards the fray. She looks back. "I am Elisabet, called Jotun. You are brave, if soft-headed. If they would destroy Avalon, as you say, then I will stop them. Only I may take its name, and only once the skulls of my foes have raised me to that lofty height." She grins. Big, trollish fangs glisten in the inconstant light of the ruined bay. "Your city will survive this trial--let that thought give you the strength needed." She hopes, as she runs towards Hellblade, that that knight survives long enough for her to help him. If he does, he'll surely make a fine foe.

She's not sure what to make of the scrap going on in front of her. There's an egg--no, two eggs--Ratfink is running away, Hellblade is somehow more on fire than before, and strangest of all Scales in trying to box with Hellblade. After processing that last bit, Jotun's estimation of Scales' rises, even if her form is terrible. Takes some real steel to do something like that. Of course, up against someone with real steel that will only do so much. The swordswoman seems just as occupied by the events surrounding her as Jotun is confused by them. She winds up for a great, sweeping underhanded blow with her club. This will either knock her out on her rear end--or bury her head in the ceiling.

Directly engaging Hellblade--I rolled a ten. I choose to Take something away from her (knock the remaining egg away/power out of her if that's a possibility) and create an opportunity for my allies. I WILL BEAR WHATEVER RESPONSE SHE MAY GIVE.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

The World Breaker falls. It’s scales catch flame from the heat of reentering atmosphere. It is a bright star over Avalon city, and only grows brighter as it grows nearer.

Some below begin to panic, believing that this is the Return of the Dragons, and thus the end of humanity. Others, with a bit more knowledge, notice the corpse stillness of the World Breaker. A small comfort, as it’s fall picks up more speed and more power.

>>>

Within the World Breaker

Confused murmurs fill the room. How did this happen? Why was the World Breaker falling? Who was the angel that lead them here, did she have a hand in this?

Despite the questions, the situation is clear enough to demand action. Working fast, the trapped heroes and miners build themselves a cocoon of metal, ice, and vines. With worried faces, they strap themselves in for the landing, hoping it’ll be enough.

Some of them are just interns. Wish them luck!

---

Seraphine -- Gloria quickly takes your offer; the extra hands from her suit wrap greedily around yours, ensuring a solid grip.

And then you’re off.

There is a bit of turbulence, but your wings are strong, and your flight quickly steadies. Below you is Avalon City, large, noxious, and promising as ever. The last(?) bastion for humanity in a world gone mad. It stretches out nearly to the horizon, a patchwork mess of quaint homes, decrepit slums, and towering skyscrapers. The place you were born. The world you want to save.

Does the sight touch your heart?

It touches Gloria’s. Or perhaps that’s just the relief from not being trapped within a dragon-shaped missile. She let’s out an almost-too-quiet to hear, “Ah, jeez….” Before turning her face up to yours, “What’s your name, little dove? I want to apologize. For threatening you back there, I was just a bit, well, that wasn’t really job I was hired for. And I didn’t expect you...” She lets out a small chuckle, “I didn’t expect you to be such a big softie!”

Per your Powerful Blow, you give up ground… emotional ground! Unless you reject Gloria’s words, shift -1 Danger and +1 Menace!

You’re flying over the city, behind you is a giant dragon plummeting towards the earth. If you pushed with all your might, you could get back there… But why would you? In you arms is an enemy-turned-audience. Below you in the city. Where do you land, and

What do you do?

---

Ratfink

Your hands are quick
Your fortes your wit
And your getaway’s slick

Really, Hellblade offers little resistance to your pilfering hands, nor does she attempt to chase you down. Not like she really had much of a chance of to chase you, what with all the stuff incredible violence thrown her way, but as a thief, it still sticks out to you that she didn’t even seem to care about what you took.

Speaking of that…

The Other Dragon Egg – this one’s blue!!

An obscenely valuable dragon egg? Don’t mind if you do. It’s yours, and better than that – safely yours. As you scurry down the collapsing hallways of the harvesting base, you encounter no new threats. All you see as you run are herds of panicked animals, trespassing into the odd human-built base out of desperation. They flee in blind terror, trying to find safety in an ecosystem that is literally collapsing into the earth.

This is somewhat the fault of you and your team. Do you feel bad?

At the very precipice of the loose scale, your exit from this chaos, Underfoot calls a halt. He’s helped you, and now it’s time for some reciprocation. His worshipers, the Grubbers and other such prey, are crying out for safety, and he wants you to be the agent of their rescue. Through your spiritual link, he sends you a crude vision – an entire horde of prey assembled behind you, their Pied-Piper, leading them to safety through the loose scale.

It’s not impossible, but… Are you going to risk your own personal security (and if you fall here, who will look after Orville?) just to take the chance to save some space vermin?

What do you do?

---

Scales – You try to answer Izayoi’s call to action. You really do. In your head, you picture yourself slugging Hellblade right in the face! It’s a totally badass, fully realized vision that you could almost swear actually happened!

(gm whisper: apologizes for retconning your roll after two weeks. i just had brain fart i didn't notice until the very lasy moment, and there's no other excuse.)

Buuuut at literally the last second, you flinch. Your flight instincts kick into overdrive, and you decide (somewhat sensibly) to haul rear end away from the incredibly violent people who’ve continually threatened your life. Ratfink’s voice echos through your radio – a safe way out?

And you come to a crossroads.

Continue forward, follow Ratfink, and get out safely. You’ve learned a lot this mission, isn’t that enough? As the old thief’s saying goes, ‘run, run, run away and live to steal everything later.’

Or, turn back and face Hellblade one last time. Not because Izayoi told you to, but because you that’s what you want to do, dammit! Sure, the chamber might be full of clanging weapons, screams of rage, and the howls of rabid animals… and the roof is shaking violently as the World Breaker nears it’s point of impact… but, if you will it, your body will put one foot forward after the next, and you’ll go back into the fight once again.

Offering you a Hard Bargain: Retreat, and clear Afraid at the end of this scene, or head back into the fray once again and get one last shot at Stealing Something Impossible.

What do you do?

---

Crimson Chevalier – Your words seem to reach Scales, but Scales can’t seem to reach Hellblade. It’s so frustrating! You’ve done so much for her, and she can’t even land a punch against the heavily armor pupil of the greatest warrior to ever live for you!? Why, it’s totally reasonable to expect— The Drakonic Centipede swipes you from behind. You fly into the chamber that once held the World Breaker’s soul, slamming into the metal wall at the far end.

Take a Powerful Blow

Oh, right, that thing.

It roars out it’s hatred. It wants what you have, it wants what you stole. It bleeds ichor from the wound on it’s neck – whenever it was injured before, it found succor in the sweet blood that slowly dripped from the Heart Gem. Now, it faces not only the destruction of it’s home, but the loss of the Prize that made it the King of the World Breaker’s insides. Is it’s rage not justified? Is it’s covetousness not sympathetic?

As the mutated Centipede forces it’s way through the too-small entrance, as it reaches out with it’s massive pincers, and tries to tear the Heart Gem away from your grasp, there is one small piece of solace to be found in this wretched situation.

The other pupil of Calamity Blade is having just as miserable a time as you are.

What do you do?

---

Jotun – Highwall accepts your reply. Perhaps not what he had hoped for, but fine enough given the situation? After taking a moment to swallow his pride, he gazes at you with the calm that only comes after reaching utter desperation, and gives you his word, “I... thank you, Elisabet, and I will not forget you. Not for the rest of my life.” As you step into the soul chamber, you can barely hear him begin some time of mantra. The exact words are too faint to hear, but somehow the tone itself tells you all you need to know – no matter what, the Knight Highwall is determined to survive this.

Hellblade is beset on all sides. First, Scales does some kind of... strange feint? Where she charges forward and then at the last moment jumps back in a full retreat. It doesn’t really work, as Hellblade has just enough time to spin her attention and blade towards you. What does work is the jagged piece of metal that shoots out of a portal – Dead Face’s work? – and strikes her directly in the egg-holding arm. Hellblade steps back, her gaze flying to her side looking for the new assailant, and that’s when you strike.

Thanks to Dead Face’s Distraction; you face no natural retribution for your Directly Engage!

Your club sends Hellblade straight into the ceiling! Her sword from her hand, clattering to the floor, and the Soul Infused Dragon Egg spins lazily in the air. A sweet Prize, ripe for the plucking, if not for--

Hellblade Marks Afraid

The pillar of fire that came from the Hellblade’s outreached hand. It is a wild attack, missing you by a fair margin, and only serves to keep you away from the Egg – which clatters to the floor and rolls out of sight…

Hellblade bounces off the ceiling and lands on the floor with a heavy clang. She takes a second to steady herself, and then glares at you from behind her helmet, “What gives you the right!” She roars, “What gives you the right to take what’s mine!? I found the eggs! I sought the soul! The dragon is my prize! And after all my work you seek to steal!” She stomps the floor with her boot, “My!” stomp “Valor!?”

Her hatred is so intense you can almost see it. From every joint in her armor, smoke and embers flicker out as she barely contains her flame. Her gauntleted hands coil into solid fists. She was punished for turning her back on you before, and now, even though she is unarmed, she is determined not to make that mistake again.

Also, a giant mutated Centipede just slammed Izayoi into the wall behind Hellblade. Ratfink yelled at you through your radio that there is a safe escape route at the ‘dragon’s left flank near the back leg’, and Seraphine just left through a hole in the wall. There’s a lot going on.

What do you do?

---

Dead Face – You finish shimmying out of the hole you’d been stuck in with a light pop. Other than a little bit of dirt on your shins, you look as good as any other skeleton! Ahead of you is the flank of the Drakonic Centipede; it seems to have attacked Crimson Chevalier, and is now trying to finish the job. If you wanted to help your fellow mage, you have a pretty good angle of attack, but…

Your necromantic power still flows through the World Breaker. If you want to soften the landing and/or guide the great dragon further away from the city, right now is your last opportunity. Thanks to your magic, you’re probably the only person in the world who really understands what’s happening to the World Breaker right now. It’s… dissolving. Hide a bit too torn, tendons a bit too worn to survive reentry from space. Living things have an incredible, unappreciated ability to maintain themselves, and the World Breaker hasn’t been alive in decades.

Point is, you understand that when the World Breaker hits the ground, a lot of parts are going to be put under a lot of stress. And they’ll break. It’s going to be Pretty Bad for anyone inside.

Yet… at the exact moment, the World Breaker passes directly over the heart of Avalon City, directly over the abode of Your Master, and he beckons. Not forcefully, of course, never forcefully. He simply reminds you that, with a flick of your wrist, you can open a portal to him, step through, and be Safe and Away from all this trouble. Wouldn’t have be convenient? Your friends and allies probably wouldn’t even blame you for leaving… it’s such a sensible thing to do…

And so, with an immense power in grasp, and barely enough time to use it, you stand within the World Breaker.

What do you do?

---

Everyone – The roof is shuddering. The ground is shaking. The World Breaker is a dragon-shaped projectile, falling from space, and it will reach the ground VERY SOON.

What you do now will affect how hard the impact hits you.

Good luck!

-----

It's been a while, hasn't it? If I've made any errors and/or you have any issues, let me know on IRC/Yami's Discord/PMs!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: The World-Breaker - Heart Base

As he climbs free of the rubble, Dead Face glances at the giant centipede attacking Izayoi. He briefly considers helping her, but figures she can handle it. His main priority is making sure everybody doesn't turn into goo when the dragon finally hits the ground. The question is, how in the world is he going to do that?

As Dead Face considers his options, his master contacts him. The suggestion isn't really that tempting though. He didn't do all that research just to bail out at the last moment. He wants to see the plan through.

With a sigh, Dead Face finally decides the best course of action. He is going to have to trust the cultists conducting the ritual on the ground. Hopefully, they will realize what he is trying to do. Once again, he starts pushing necromantic energy into the dragon. Spectral versions of the dragon's missing parts start to appear throughout the corpse. Its only temporary, but the dragon will be whole once again. With luck, it will be enough time for the World Breaker to slow its descent.

5/7/2017 10:16:28 PM<IShallRiseAgain> Unleash Your Powers Wagering Cultist Asset
5/7/2017 10:16:34 PM<IShallRiseAgain> !roll 2d6+3
5/7/2017 10:16:35 PM<Krysmbot> IShallRiseAgain, 7+3 = 10

• Locked thread