Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thistravel
Feb 17, 2006
I am trying to record quality audio for some videos that I am making, they will have 2 people talking to each other in them.

If there was 1 person I would be able to record it using a smartphone and a lavalier mic, is there any budget solution to record 2 people? I know I could use wireless mics but they're pretty expensive. I dont think 2 smartphones and mics would work and 2 lavs into one phone would be impractical.

Has anyone done something similar before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thistravel posted:

I am trying to record quality audio for some videos that I am making, they will have 2 people talking to each other in them.

If there was 1 person I would be able to record it using a smartphone and a lavalier mic, is there any budget solution to record 2 people? I know I could use wireless mics but they're pretty expensive. I dont think 2 smartphones and mics would work and 2 lavs into one phone would be impractical.

Has anyone done something similar before?

You're recording the two of them like they're sitting down and doing an interview? And when you say "budget solution", what kind of a budget do you mean?

E: and are they just talking or is there singing, music, background noise you want or don't want?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 10, 2017

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006

DJExile posted:

You're recording the two of them like they're sitting down and doing an interview? And when you say "budget solution", what kind of a budget do you mean?

E: and are they just talking or is there singing, music, background noise you want or don't want?

They aren't just sitting and talking but they're also moving around demonstrating how a machine works. There isn't any background noise, music etc.

Budget - around $100 or so maybe?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

buy a used tascam dr-01 on ebay and never look back

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

buy a used tascam dr-01 on ebay and never look back

This. Anything by Tascam by extension.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...rY8saAiWt8P8HAQ

If you pony up an extra $50 you could buy a H4N Zoom 4 track. It's the gold standard in most micro-budget field audio recording.

If you're just doing a one-off, have you considered renting? There may be a rental house near you that can hook you up with a small audio package for cheap.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If it's a one off thing, just buy a new recorder off Amazon and return it afterwards.

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006
It's not a one off,

I can buy these zoom recorder things no problem, however how will it work when I need to record the audio of 2 people that are walking around a machine?

I could buy 2 recorders but then I can't really merge the 2 recordings?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

thistravel posted:

It's not a one off,

I can buy these zoom recorder things no problem, however how will it work when I need to record the audio of 2 people that are walking around a machine?

I could buy 2 recorders but then I can't really merge the 2 recordings?

If the people need to move around, you could either do two recorders or one recorder and wireless lavs. For the former, what are you doing to sync the audio to the video in the first place? If you're slating (be it with sticks, clapping, whatever) just use that and sync them in post. I'm not sure what software you're using here, but even Audacity can do a simple mixdown.

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006

Slowhanded posted:

If the people need to move around, you could either do two recorders or one recorder and wireless lavs. For the former, what are you doing to sync the audio to the video in the first place? If you're slating (be it with sticks, clapping, whatever) just use that and sync them in post. I'm not sure what software you're using here, but even Audacity can do a simple mixdown.

Wont that mush up the sound though?

If you have one camera and one recorder, you'd sync the voice and video and replace the cameras onboard audio with the one from your sound recorder.

If you have one camera and two recorders, how do you "merge" the two recordings into one?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Couldn't you treat each recorder as a mono stream and merge them to stereo? I.e., person one is the L track, person two is the R track?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Krakkles posted:

Couldn't you treat each recorder as a mono stream and merge them to stereo? I.e., person one is the L track, person two is the R track?

That sounds like a good way to drive your listeners crazy.

I'm assuming there's an EVEN EASIER WAY that I don't know about, but all you'd have to do is pull both tracks into Audacity (free), sync them up (using the slating) and export as a single track. Then replace the camera's audio with that or whatever.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Admittedly I know next to nothing on the subject but I'd always assumed the point of the clacker on movies was to give a sync point between the audio and video files.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Aargh posted:

Admittedly I know next to nothing on the subject but I'd always assumed the point of the clacker on movies was to give a sync point between the audio and video files.

It is. You read the writing on the clacker so you know what audio goes with what footage too.

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006

Shellman posted:

That sounds like a good way to drive your listeners crazy.

I'm assuming there's an EVEN EASIER WAY that I don't know about, but all you'd have to do is pull both tracks into Audacity (free), sync them up (using the slating) and export as a single track. Then replace the camera's audio with that or whatever.

I'm not sure if that would work?

If you have two people talking to each other and they each have a recorder.

It's inevitable that the other persons microphone will record your voice as well as theirs.

Will this work OK in audacity as the there will be three tracks, the camera one can be discarded, then you have 2 that need to be "merged", this is where my problem stems from.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

thistravel posted:

I'm not sure if that would work?

If you have two people talking to each other and they each have a recorder.

It's inevitable that the other persons microphone will record your voice as well as theirs.

Will this work OK in audacity as the there will be three tracks, the camera one can be discarded, then you have 2 that need to be "merged", this is where my problem stems from.

First result on google.
http://www.wikihow.com/Align-Tracks-in-Audacity

I have never had to sync separate audio tracks into 1 but I have used Premiere pro to sync audio I recorded to my cellphone with video before. When recording, I try to start them at the same time and clap loudly a few times at the start. There is a command in Premiere pro that syncs them automagically by matching up the waveforms and allows you to blend them or remove the camera audio track entirely.

So you could probably sync the to audio tracks in audacity and then cue them up with the camera track in your video editing software.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Slowhanded posted:

If it's a one off thing, just buy a new recorder off Amazon and return it afterwards.

Please don't do this. You do realize that most of the sellers on Amazon are NOT amazon, right? So you're screwing someone over who is likely a much much much smaller company.

Saying this as an occasional seller on Amazon.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 4, 2017

• Locked thread