Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Sorry, maybe I got it mixed up. I screenshotted this about 2 years ago, and I know it's on that map.

Maybe I got the timelines mixed up. The conversation that leads up to this comment is what I am referring to.

Second edit: It IS Chapter 3 Law, but it only triggers if you have Xapan and we don't. Doh! Sorry for the wild goose chase.

Edit: Quoting latest update on first post of new page.

tithin posted:

Episode 5 - Alt. Scaling the Wall & The Fall of House Didaro

WRONG GAME

So yeah, old mate Bingham.

Didn't say anything.

hosed around for 20 rounds or something, just letting him smash us with Finishing moves, only using Canopus to attack and letting his cleric heal before I decided to end it.

Absolutely nothing. Sorry bud.

The Fall of The House of Diddaro

We've breached the inner walls of Brigantys castle and fought our way into its great hall.

Condition(s): Kill Hektor.

Yellow
Hektor (Knight)
H. Archer x4
H. Berserker x2
H. Terror Knight x2
H. Cleric
H. Wizard x2

This will be a short fight. There's not a lot of room between our two parties.

How fortuitous that these captives are in the way we chose to sneak.

They sting like flies, we bite like lions.

they don't hold up well to our assault

And what assaults they manage, we discard entirely.

Their healers try, and do a decent effort at it too.

Another berserker falls.

Donnalto is a machine now. Between having a sky high block chance, and a sky high crit chance, he just straight up murders people.

Again, that'll change by the end of the game, in the post game things scale in level to your team and are outfitted appropriately - right now we're overlevelled and overgeared so are just brute forcing our way through.

The enemies ranks are collapsing.

Hektor gets his first action of the battle.

And continue to collapse

We get a crit on the healer and leave him with 1 hp. Unfortunately this pushes him out of range from the second attack.

Nerraw picks up the slack and lands a stone for 1 hp on a 24% chance to hit :toot:

Lenneth gets a kicking thanks to Rending Gale.

I just wanted the card.

This assault was surgical. Time for the pièce de résistance

: You are not the first Didarro I have met this day.

: ...

I choose option 2 here. Jeunan is required for Ravness and another character down the track.

: What wrong have they done us? We are not the Resistance of old.

: Our quarrel is not with the people of Galgastan. The generations-long conflict between your clan and ours never was!

: Always it has been men with power, men such as the heirophant and the duke, who throw their people at one another to further their own amibitions.

: It is not the Galgastani who must answer for this bloodshed...it is Balbatos and his ilk.

: ...

Say hello to Jeunan the Wyrmslayer, and farewell to Briam the Elder.

Jeunan's fast - he has a faster RT than Canopus for reference, and is on par with Lanselot v1.0. Spears are wasted on him. Might take him into axes because we don't have a good axe user.

Dragoons are the answer to Beasts / Dragons. They learn an activated skill (see: Mighty Blow, Tremendous Shot, etc) that, from memory, can be used by most classes that amplifies damage done to beasts. Consequently most of our damage dealers are going to be going through Dragoon at some point to pick that skill up .

waah fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it's nice to see the old castellan is kind of accepting about this whole thing. I suppose he's got a very keen sense of what he can accomplish on his own.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

Sorry, maybe I got it mixed up. I screenshotted this about 2 years ago, and I know it's on that map.

Maybe I got the timelines mixed up. The conversation that leads up to this comment is what I am referring to.

Second edit: It IS Chapter 3 Law, but it only triggers if you have Xapan and we don't. Doh! Sorry for the wild goose chase.

Remind me when we get chariot!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ah....Jeunan.

Jeunan (and the discussion that leads up to him) is partially why I'm so fond of Law.

Also, dragoons get 2handed crossbows. Give him crossbows, never look back as you laugh at all of the monsters dying from attacks that use to do nothing.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 24, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The dead seldom accomplish much of note? So... they sometimes do? Okay then.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The dead seldom accomplish much of note? So... they sometimes do? Okay then.

the undead exist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God, finally, Dragoons. Now Dragons can stop being such timesinks.

waah posted:

Why

It's so inconvenient, anyone checking it out from there would have to expand every single picture.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I need one new recruit

Name / Gender / Alignment please!

Class is chosen already!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lufia the lawful lady because for some reason those games have been on my mind lately

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Me am dumb

I did two fights in a row without Jeunan in my party because I didn't sleep last night, and thus missed the next steps for Ravness

so now I'm redoing Brigantys castle for the third time :toot:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
What I like most about Levi in the Law route is all these dramatic "I MUST ATONE FOR MY SINS" people; and he just calmly says he's in no position to judge them; so they should sign on to help.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Denam / Male / Law

Perhaps we may now get answers as to the identity of this mystery man. tithin insists does not exist, but I, I know the truth with my own two eyes! :tinfoil:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Denam / Male / Law

Perhaps we may now get answers as to the identity of this mystery man. tithin insists does not exist, but I, I know the truth with my own two eyes! :tinfoil:

Yup.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like that'd be confusing.

Vilma / Female / Chaos

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I feel like that'd be confusing.

That's the point :ssh:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Denam / Male / Law

Make it so

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Vadina / Male / Chaos

This character will be a hindrance to Team Emptyquote.

Kat posted:

VADINA
utility: negative
role: any

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

Vadina / Male / Chaos

This character will be a hindrance to Team Emptyquote.

Seconding

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This subforum kills hard drives

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

This subforum kills hard drives

:ohdear:

it's not always the LP curse! Mine had been a long time coming ever since I let my laptop get rained on! :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's not as dramatic as I made it sound, the hard drive is dying but it's also old.

It's been having issues loading stuff, and it just corrupted a save state while I was using it, and then refused to copy that state when I tried to back up the folder.

Thankfully I still have my manual non save state at Mandura plains but it means I'm now fighting Brigantys for a fourth time.

Therefore as it may be expected, the next update may be a little delayed(™)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yikes. Good luck!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
It's the LP curse man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No one LPs unscathed.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 6 - This episode brought to you by the word "gently caress" and by the concept of redundant backups.

I learn from others mistakes and back my poo poo up. I mean ok, I was behind by 2 or 3 battles

and it meant fighting Brigantys for a fourth time, jesus

but here we are! back and as good* as ever!

(*for some definition of good)

So yeah, the hard drive's not dead yet, but I've pulled out everything of value from the drive. Press 'F' to pay respects.

The Ninja leader drops a Shadowbind (have I touched on this? Much like Shackle prevents people from taking actions, Shadowbind prevents them from moving, but not from taking actions) on Levi and fails miserably.

We open up with a murder! Snipette and Canopus make a deadly duo.

And we continue our rampage of destruction

The enemy decide that rather than try to kill us they're going to weaken an old man. Unfortunately for them, that old man is a serial killer.

The enemy backline folds like cardboard in a loving rainstorm, meanwhile a sole soldier tries to flank to our backline and discovers that Nerraw rocks.

Enemy Berserker takes on all comers and heals himself a bit. Good job.

The card's... death? which has a chance to give positive or negative luck. What does luck influence? no idea. I want to say it's crit chance, but I have nothing but gut to back that up.

I reverse this back up because -luck might be bad down the track.

Enemy leader lands a Shadowbind on our Archer. We murder more of his friends.

The enemy team heal up as much as they can

Nerraw continues to Rock.

They continue to fall

Anyway, this is all a distraction for now. We subbed out Voltare and brought in Jeunan as a semi-permanent replacement. Jeunan is one of the triggers for obtaining Ravness, and this fight leads up to that.

Once the enemy leader hits about 50% HP, we get a couple of conversations.

I mean yeah, you could keep shadowbinding us, I hear that's real deadly.

And now there's only 2 left.

Canopus needs more murder capacity.

Hot Ninja on Ninja action.

Just the Ninja left.

:smith:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
donnalto rules now

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Making the frail, old, priest into a ninja assassin that butchers men by the dozen was the best choice.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've gotten back into this game, God help me, but this time at least it's with cheats to help with the obnoxious parts.

I do know even more now. Did you know the race skills like Anatomy reduce the damage dealt to the unit if it's their own race? More reason to give all your humans Anatomy than before!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

FoolyCharged posted:

Making the frail, old, priest into a ninja assassin that butchers men by the dozen was the best choice.

He has taken to dealing with his guilt by becoming an avatar of murder.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, poo poo. Makes me wonder how the rest of the castle thinks. Did that little act put all the people in the dungeons more at ease with joining us, too?

They were a class act, those guys. Let's hope history remembers them well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's a hell of a plot point.
"Eh, gently caress it. Kill us."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
RIP Sir "Look At Me I'm A Martyr" Hektor

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I've gotten back into this game, God help me, but this time at least it's with cheats to help with the obnoxious parts.

I do know even more now. Did you know the race skills like Anatomy reduce the damage dealt to the unit if it's their own race? More reason to give all your humans Anatomy than before!

I actually did know this! it also increases damage done and chances of recruitment!

That being said, I've been slowly reading through the old thread and saw that apparently fortify and strengthen are absolutely garbage because the way in which they trigger is very narrow, so eh.

Played through the next update today, it's not a ~big~ update or anything (that'll be the subsequent update when we hit Coritanae) but just wanted to let people know I've not forgotten the LP or anything.

Still trying to get through one or two a week - at this rate I'll 100% the game in December

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 7 - The Long trudging road through the snow

We're almost to Coritanae and they're still completely in the dark

: What is it, two days since we last heard from Brigantys?

: Two at least. It's not like Sir Hektor.

: Perhaps the weather turns foul. Brigania Flats is often beset with storms this time of year, no?

: True enough. But if snows had blocked the roads, I expect the company we sent to resupply Brigantys would have turned back by now.

: Dull or not, I'm right, most like. If the high commander finds out aught is amiss, it's your neck, not mine.

: I'll worry about my neck; you worry about yours.

: Decurion! A party approaches!

: Friend or foe?

: So these Walister dogs are the reason Brigantys has fallen silent. Their heads will make fine gifts for Sir Xaebos!

Enemy Composition

Condition(s): Kill Vance.

Yellow
Vance (Rune Fencer)
H. Warrior x2
H. Berserker x2
H. Ninja x2
H. Cleric x2
H. Warlock
Green
Z. Earth Dragon and Z. Hydra, both stilled (felled).[/b]

An exceedingly easy map, even were we not overpowered. The only major "concerning" item are a couple of Zombie Dragons and Hydras who start the fight off stilled, meaning in 3 turns they're going to wake up and come roaring for our face.

Both start off at completely different ends of the map and are sufficiently far enough away that you're not going to exorcise them before you get down to 1 turn outstanding at least.

We still one of them immediately, and it takes three turns for us to make combat with the enemy, by which time the other one wakes up.

Donnalto notches another one on his belt.

Levi gets stuck on buffing duty for a few turns.

Meanwhile Nerraw decides to rock the poo poo out of the Dragon.

Are these rock puns bouldering you yet?

For once, Canopus fails to finish off the enemy leaving him at 5hp.

Not much to say about Vance. He's mediocre, equipped with Dark Magic and a crossbow, he lacks the stats for either.

I'm sort of skipping a few actions this battle because nothing much interesting's happening. The enemy ninjas are spamming Shadowbind at low chances to hit and are avoiding making direct attacks for the most part.

We find a random card in the dirt. No stat increase because it was found as opposed to dropped, but it'll still be nice for the end game :unsmith:

Old mate dragon hauls himself up the cliff to take him to Jeunan.

Donnalto shows the younger, fitter ninja, that this is how you do it.

Donnalto gets shoved off the wall. You could really hurt his hips doing that.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that they're not healing, or the fact that they chose to silence a ninja. I mean, I can only imagine Donnalto cackling evilly as he takes another life. Maybe that's why they did it?

Martine picks up a fool card and becomes more loyal to us. About fiveish updates too late, but still nice :unsmith:

We chuck a heal on Donnalto and his butcher blades.

Vance tries to bolt Donnalto and fails.

enemy warlock tries to poison us and fails.

Enemy Dragon is almost dead

Crossbow finishers are really strong

Martine gets her second? kill of the fight by finishing off the healer with a rock.

Lenneth seems to get a lot of these stat ups.

Ok, time to wrap this up.

We can now res people without using an item* :toot:

*It costs something loving ridiculous like 50 mana, so you're still gonna use an mp leaf.

Coritinae keep lies before us.

Next Episode: Have fun storming the castle!

Bonus: if we didn't just loving murder Vance likes yesterdays garbage

: No wonder crossing Brigania Flats gave you no trouble. You fight like lions! Hoping to take Coritanae from the rear, I reckon.

: Truly we face one of Galgastan's finest military minds.

---

I like to imagine that's said with just a hint of sarcasm

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So not everybody recognizes the Butcher of Golyat on sight?

I suppose we shouldn't turn down an advantage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'll just copy the disclaimer from H10's thread. Every nonmonster class can use (though not always learn) every recruitment skill, race-ology, elemental augment and attenuate, status resistance and proof, Tactician I and II, Swiftfoot, Jump, and Wade I, Trajectory, and all 4 ranks of Field Alchemy. These will be omitted due to their redundancy. Every class also has the first two ranks of Fortify, Resistance, and Spell Ward, and the first three of Truestrike, Trueflight, Dodge, Sidestep, and Constitution. I'll note the highest ranks of these skills the class gets, since it kind of matters. If a skill is entirely absent that means the class doesn't get it at all, like Expand Mind for classes with no MP or Knockback for wizards. Casters are weird about which magic command skills they can learn out of the ones they can use, but I'll just list the ones they can use.

Monsters do not get weapon skills, recruitment skills, Swiftfoot, Jump, or Field Alchemy. They're kind of odd.

Units sometimes have access to some but not all of an equipment category. The Warrior below can use one-handed bows, but not two-handed. The Lobber, Calida, and a few other weapons are weird about which classes can use them despite their weapon types. I'll mention them separately in the list.

Warrior

Races: Human, Winged, Lizardman, Lamia, Orc, Skeleton
RT: 32 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Move Cost: 4/tile
Weapons: Fists, Daggers, 1H Swords, 2H Swords, Axes, Hammers, Cudgels [Baldur, Damasc, Cursed], Whips, Bows [1H], Crossbows [1H], Thrown
Armor: Heavy
Magic: N/A
Support: Rampart Aura II*, Counterattack IV, Knockback IV, Strengthen IV, Fortify III, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Dodge IV, Sidestep IV, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Wade II, Siege
Action: Mighty Impact, Double Impact
Special: Vigorous Attack

* They can use the skill, but not learn it. It must be learned in a different class.

Soldier's the run-of-the-mill frontliner. They get a lot of weapon types, though the value of weapon ranks means switching a lot isn't really advised. It's more that if you really want someone to smack people with the Holy Comet then the Warrior will cover it. Mighty Impact's 100% hit and auto-crit are good. Technically it's a mediocre boost, but it's about reliably boosting damage and hitting than a huge boost. That's Double Impact's job, as hitting twice is, uh... twice as much damage. Access to Rampart Aura (via Knight or Terror Knight) helps them control the flow of enemies while also ensuring dudes stay near them to get impacted in one way or the other. Vigorous Attack blows, forget it exists.

Warriors are technically competent, to be sure, but their biggest problem is they have a lot of competition with no real reason to be picked. Ninjas and several special jobs get Double Attack to do the whole "hits twice" thing without having to spend 50 TP in the first place. Several other generic classes are competent frontliners but can do other things, like Knights with Heal and Instill Light for example. You've got classes that hit harder, take hits better, and have other tricks like magic or special moves. Why bother with Warrior when you've got so many better options?

The early early game they're fine, as you don't have that many classes. Late-story those other classes are all running about and the warrior struggles to even matter until you hit early-postgame, when they finally get Double Impact and elemental weapons to... almost keep up with other classes, but not quite. Technically viable, but unless you have specific weapons you want to run with Double Impact's nonspecific "hits twice" bonus, it's hard to justify the Warrior.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 17, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Warriors make a good dedicated whipper. The double hit works well with that weapon and makes whips at least competitive with 2-weapon classes.

It's still a dubious choice to make for a final team member, and outside of that the warrior really does get eclipsed pretty quickly.

Also, you've gone and done it Tithin. I dug out my old psp and I'm replaying this game (and by replaying I mean I'm taking my 200+ hour savefile through a new game + because I don't think I can go through crafting/pumpkin hijinks again and keep my sanity).

edit: wonder why I thought it was spear at first.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 3, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like Birdmen Warriors, since it's the only frontliner they can use that have some muscle behind their attack.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 8 - The Siege of Coritanae Keep

This was originally meant to be both battles, because the first one was so short, but I got lazy because it's sunday morning, I'm hungover and my kids woke me up by jumping all over me at 5am when I went to bed at half 1, so sue me.

As good a time as any for a SKILLS UPDATE

Kilmotos now has all of his slots unlocked. We give him some Anatomy, a chance to Parry, and that's it before we run out of SP.

Lenneth also opens up her 10 slot. She gets some Spell warding, and Alchemy 2 - we'll be opening this up for her further in the future.

HEALBOT was sitting on something stupid like 1200 SP, so we up a bunch of her skills and she's also at 10 now.

Bit of a theme here as we open up pretty much everyones skill slots to 10. Nerraw gets some Constituion and Anatomy to give him a boost to damage.

Snipette seems to be lacking in points. We give her Deflect and open up the rest to 10. Rate she's going though she'll end up subbed out for either Arycelle or someone else down the line.

Canopus grabs Counterattack 2, deflect, and opens up his slots to 10 and still has enough SP for more points but we decide to sit on that poo poo for a bit.

The avatar of murder gets a point in Parry, and opens up to 10 skill slots and runs out of points.

Jeunan's got no points really to invest, but this is his skill list. It's pretty good for now!.

Looks like not the entirety of the Galgastan high command is at the castle, which is a shame.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOURT REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING

we encounter Balbatos mid ejaculation.

: They are, my lord. Sir Xaebos does not disappoint.

: Indeed not. Now all that remain are Brantyn and the Dark Knights. Still, even with Almorica, defeating them will be no small task.

: Calm yourself! You speak in tongues, soldier.

: They lay siege to the castle!

: How many are there?

: I-I don't know, sir. What do we do?

: Meet them with every man who can hold a sword!

: Yes sir!

The penny finally drops.

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Orgeau.

Yellow
Orgaeu (W. Archer)
H. Dragoon x2
H. Archer x4
H. Cleric x2
H. Knight x2
H. Wizard

We have two possible routes this battle. Top or bottom. The enemy archers hold the top and their frontline the bottom. This is an easy choice.

We also have the the added problem for the first time of reinforcements. As enemy units die, enemy reinforcements will stream in at random places on the map so yeah, speed is the name of the game this map. From memory you also don't get experience / SP from murdering a never ending stream of reinforcements so there's no point in farming them.

Donnalto starts us off by claiming another scalp.

Canopus and Snipette claim the second.

We also have the the added problem for the first time of reinforcements.

As enemy units die, enemy reinforcements will stream in at random places on the map so yeah, speed is the name of the game this map. From memory you also don't get experience / SP from murdering a never ending stream of reinforcements so there's no point in farming them.

Orgeau has deigned to grace us with his presence and jumps off the ramparts to land in the water beneath us. Canopus greets him in the customary fashion.

Enemy archer takes umbrage to this and shoots Canopus, and reflects on his poor life decisions on the counterattack.

More reinforcements.

The enemy team do some damage and undo some of ours.

Nice

The inherent wade of the Valkyrie lets Lenneth jump in the water to go punch Orgeau in the face.

Crossbow finisher is really strong y'all

Lenneth... misses a spell? Don't see that happening often.

Next Episode - The Siege of Coritanae Ward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Why did you fly down, Orgeau? Silly billy.