Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One of these days I should actually give this version a try. I've only played the port of the SNES version. This one looks so pretty and the translation is so much better, but I still can't quite get my head around the idea of leveling up classes instead of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm still not quite sure what we did to deserve this remake. It's a great remaster of a late 90's game of a niche genre from a dead series. Sure, it's rife with design issues (class levelling, the pot) but it's otherwise a high-quality release with some great new features. There's no way they could have though it would have made them much money, but they obviously put effort into it.

Maybe I'm vastly underestimating its success, while overestimating the resources used, but I don't get it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God, what would it take to get a new Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre game before the next presidential election?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought there was a code to skip the pot animation.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tallgeese posted:

I thought there was a code to skip the pot animation.

Only on cfw / emulation, which I'll cover a bit later when I get to crafting

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

marshmallow creep posted:

God, what would it take to get a new Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre game before the next presidential election?

FF14 would have to die because the core team is working on the MMO.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is one of my favorite games that I played the hell out of on PSX, though after playing the PSP version ONCE, I can't ever do it again. So many wonderful additions. So many boring slogs added to it for no reason. Can't tolerate it. Yet the PSX game by comparison just feels so lovely and now both platforms are ruined for me.

Anyway, thanks to the abandoned LP you linked to, I've already seen the revised Chaos route. Not sure if this is a vote thing, but if so: can you do Not The Chaos Route?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

FairGame posted:

but if so: can you do Not The Chaos Route?

seconding this....

Law route is best route (I'm not kidding, it's better in almost every way).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like all the routes. :shobon:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It'll be a vote thing yeah. I like the chaos route but I expected that we'd be doing the law route this time

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I understand the need to have, like, a tutorial battle but it seems kind of pathetic that you're there anyway and struggling to keep up with the big kids.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mauman posted:

seconding this....

Law route is best route (I'm not kidding, it's better in almost every way).

Thirding this. Law route is a much more interesting story by far.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I find it interesting that the story that follows the most traditional hero narrative is the "chaos" route when chaos is almost always associated with evil and/or depravity in RPGs.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ask me about going into this game right off of something like SMT1 or 2 and quite naturally going neutral my first time.

(or don't, that's pretty much the whole story)

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

marshmallow creep posted:

I find it interesting that the story that follows the most traditional hero narrative is the "chaos" route when chaos is almost always associated with evil and/or depravity in RPGs.

Yeah, it's pretty cool because they basically frame the whole law vs. chaos thing against the rules and institutions of the setting. Based on the decision you make that sets you on either route, it actually makes a lot of sense and I find it to be a nice touch to how they tell the game's story. Ogre Battle did something similar too, although especially with the endings, that game plays it a little more straight. That said, while the chaos route in this is arguably better, I think the law route actually tells the better story so it'll be cool if we wind up going that way.

Tithin, do you plan on doing the post-game stuff at all?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

neongrey posted:

Ask me about going into this game right off of something like SMT1 or 2 and quite naturally going neutral my first time.

(or don't, that's pretty much the whole story)

Except neutral is terrible in this game...

Hell, even the game itself tells you in multiple ways "you dun hosed up" if you pick neutral.

In other words, this game ain't SMT :D

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That would be my point! :v:

I mean it's terrible in the you-made-a-terrible-decision sort of way, rather than the-game-becomes-bad, which I appreciate. Really this series does LNC-based alignment way better overall than SMT ever did, which, you know. I love SMT but if you do your route splits and make one have a tradition of having more content than any of the others, that's gonna negatively impact the storytelling. Which it does.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silvergun1000 posted:

Tithin, do you plan on doing the post-game stuff at all?

Vaguely yes. We're a ways away from that yet, but the intention at this stage is to hold a vote to either check out the other routes or do the post game stuff.

Anyway, I'm finishing up, brief trip to South Aus so my next update will be in the following couple of days (flying home today)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mauman posted:

Except neutral is terrible in this game...

Hell, even the game itself tells you in multiple ways "you dun hosed up" if you pick neutral.

In other words, this game ain't SMT :D

Trying not to spoil stuff here, plus I genuinely don't know how the PSP version handles multiple paths since I only played the one and then couldn't bring myself to do others. But isn't the whole CHARIOT/WORLD system that was a major selling point for the remake designed so that the "you dun hosed up" flags can be manually un-tripped in a given path? I've seen people with parties that include characters that were mutually exclusive in the PSX version of this game, for example.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Right, but, well...

There is an ideal/correct way to get through the game, even considering WORLD. That is all I will say.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Working on the next update tonight

might be accompanied by gifs, might not. I suck with images (may have mentioned this before) and should be up in the next day or two.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Need some feedback

size comes to about 5.5 meg for this one gif - which seems... excessive.

What's the normal process for creating a gif from an AVI file? I'm currently recording the avi in fraps, importing to photoshop CC, export to web. Would compressing the AVI to an MP4 or something assist with the gif file size?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Tallgeese posted:

Right, but, well...

There is an ideal/correct way to get through the game, even considering WORLD. That is all I will say.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 3: Stop hitting my friend you assholes

Alt: I'm bad at gifs

Full disclosure, I had hoped tonight to be able to chuck in a few gifs of some neat animations like blocking arrows or attacks, etc, but it didn't work out. I'm sure there's an easier way to create gifs than the loving convoluted way I figured out how to do it that'll result in smoother quality or smaller sizes, but I imagine it'll be a long term project.

Enemy Roster -

1 Knight
1 Valkyrie
1 Witch
2 Soldiers
2 Archers

Map Layout

: Listen well. We face the rogues who slew Bapal and his men.

: Underestimate them and share Bapal's fate! Give these rebel swine a taste of Galgastani Steel! Almorica shall never fall!

Get it? TO battle? Tactics Ogre Battle? TO battle?

Eh, maybe it's not as funny as I think it is

The AI moves their poo poo up, and Canopus takes a shot at one of the soldiers.

gently caress, send a medic!

Makes me question where the gently caress that arrow actually landed that he went cross eyed.

Our forces move towards each other, and the Enemies melee gets first strike, with the Western Valkyrie attacking Gildas

But he's having none of it, blocks her attack with ease then contemptuously smashes her face in with a nice counter.

Note regarding counter: It's also a skill, which we'll cover in later updates, classes don't have it by default.

Lanselot moves up and backhands the unlucky soldier into loving dust for more than his maximum HP.

The second soldier moves down and smashes an axe into Gildas's back for 21 HP, pissing him off and causing him to counter for 8 damage.

: Our struggle with the Walister goes back generations - it's no concern of yours.

: Or do you seek to claim Valeria, as Lodis does?

: I will have your answer!

: We are men without a country. We have lent them our swords because it suits us to do so.

: And we're looking for mercenary work, as it happens. Not hiring, by any chance?

: And worry you'll leave for a bigger purse? We don't need outsiders to do our killing.

: He makes a good point. Let's rescue this Duke, collect our reward, and be done with it.

: A craven who would choose lucre over loyalty deserves only one reward!

The battle resumes with Warren now stepping up to dunk on the soldier who had a crack at his mate Gildas, slamming him with a lightning bow for 60 damage, and knocking him down to 47/115.

The Witch at the back decides to take a crack at Gildas herself with some Air Magic.

Deadshot is the first tier projectile air spell, in the same vein as lightning bow / vulcan lance.

Enemy archer at the back takes his best shot at Lanselot and lands a 57% shot to hit for 7 damage against 154 life. Don't worry, the kid gloves are coming off real loving soon.

Catiua drops a heal on Gildas to heal the 45 damage the enemy team have collectively done for him, recovering back to 151/155.

Gildas takes his turn and cracks the soldier who axed him a question in the face, with a sword stroke to the face knocking him to 12/115 and landing his HP into critical.

He then moves up the stairs allowing Mirdyn to take his place and finish the poor bastard off.

Levi gets a turn and there's no valid targets, so he goes to grab loot and sulk about his lack of murder. True story: the first time I did this fight (with far less screenshots and far more AVIs) Levi got three turns and his last turn killed Agares.

Follow your dreams kids!

Agares moves forward and actually has the move range to land in front of Levi. He takes his move, lines up his shot and fumbles with Levi blocking it.

Canopus goes for the sweet meat at the back, critting Arlette the witch for 56 damage.

The Valkyrie lands a hit on Mirdyn and then retreats towards our backline, catching Lanselot's attention, who again hits the poor girl she explodes into dust.

poo poo! He actually crit her! I'm pretty sure with that high a hit he went back in time and killed her parents too.

Enemy archer at the back decides to take a leaf from Canopus' playbook and fires a shot at Warren which fails to connect.

This naturally pisses off the old man who decides to fire back a Lightning Bow at the archer, for exactly 61 damage.

The second Archer, being too far away from the action, takes the opportunity to line up a shot on the squishiest target around, Canopus, which fails to connect, with Canopus idly smacking the arrow out of midair before it lands and returning fire at the enemy archer for a small amount.

The enemy witch, undettered by her tiny hp pool, and that Gildas is back to nearly full health, chucks another Deadshot at him which connects.

The first archer takes another shot at Warren which crits for 25 damage, knocking the old man back into the statue behind him.

Levi's third turn!

Levi getting all Caesar up in here

Mirdyn follows Levi's lead

Gildas rubs salt in the Witches wounds liberally by healing himself. Did I mention that White Knights can heal like clerics can?

Oh well, I'm sure it'll come up. sometime.

Not appreciating the gangbang on him, Agares moves in on Vyce and slices him for 25 damage, with Vyce countering for 5 in what appeared to be an unarmed animation. I'll need to check his weapons, later.

Canopus finishing off the witch.

Annoyed that old mate whiskers got hurt (face it, he's old, a stiff breeze'd probably kill someone like that back in the day), Lanselot drops a heal on him.

He then also gets looting, picking up some Mend Leaf, your basic tier1 heal consumable, which does some bullshit amount of healing, like, 25.

Warren's up and drops a Paralytic Wave which shouldn't land

Wait, what the gently caress.

Ok, so minor explanation here?

See that big "Target" on Agare's banner? that actually renders him immune to Crowd Control. Or it's meant to.

As a general rule, you can't crowd control boss units, be they slow, sleep, stun, whatever it is, you name it, it has a 0% chance to land. Except this one just landed. Maybe it's a bug because Warren's a guest unit or something.

The second archer at the back takes aim at Canopus again, pissed off that he casually hosed her shot the first time, she lands a crit for 19 damage.

He returns fire for 10.

Vyce punches Agares in the back of the head then runs away.

The first Archer lands a shot on Vyce and Levi runs behind Agares and crits him in the back of the head for 24 damage.

Can you spot how many more turns of life Agares has?

Mirdyn gets in on the action.

Gildas cleans house topside by finishing off one of the two archers.

Canopus flies behind the archer who crit him and axes her for 51 damage.

Sensing the clawing hands of death upon him, Agares makes a Beeline for Warren and hits him for 30 damage. Warren's up next and returns fire for 44 damage.

horns.aiff

tithin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 2, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 3-1: The aftermath

: Sweeter still that Walister youths came to my aid. Denam, was it? Doubtless you and your friends are a gift from the Great Father Himself. The Walister boon is great, and our future bright!

: We are not alone in our loyalty. Upon word of your grace's release, many Walister have left their haunts and hideaways for Almorica.

: And there is still time before the Galgastani come to remedy my freedom, though not long, I fear. We must regroup.

: Now I must ask if the tale our guests have told us is, indeed, the truth.

: Upon my sword, it is. We are outcasts from our land.

: I do not doubt your sword. It is the whiskers of your companion that give me pause.

: I hear a diviner matching his description was ever at the side of King Tristan when your New Xenobia came into being two years past. And that you, Sir Lanselot, were captain of the Holy Knights.

: Lodis plagues us with the Dark Knights Loslorien. How do we know you are not some new menace visited upon Valeria? If New Xenobia does not seek to usurp, I would have your proof.

: Your grace, these Holy Knights risked their own lives to win your freedom.

: A man can claim knighthood only when he serves a worthy lord. It is for such a man that we seek.

: I have your word then, and its proof shall be in your deeds. You sought a reward - you shall have it, and employment besides. I would have you train our Walister loyals as guards and soldiers here in Almorica.

: As you wish

: I met him myself, once. A wise man, Abuna Prancet. What happened in Golyat was...a tragedy.

: Please, your grace, you must avenge our father - no - all the people of Golyat.

: Yet the enemy before us is Galgastan. They must come first.

: And for that, I will need knights. Knights...such as yourselves. Will you join my table at Almorica?

: Us? Knights!?

: As young heroes of Walister, you will serve as a shining example to your clansmen. I would have you become knights in my direct service. You will be the spear that strikes swift and true. Well, what say you?

: O-of course. I mean, as you wish, your grace! I know Denam's with me on this.

Name our newly formed order of knights. I'll give this vote a few days.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The 49ers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

: A man can claim knighthood only when he serves a worthy lord. It is for such a man that we seek.

Welp, good luck with that :v:

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
EMPTYQUOTE

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:laffo: wish I'd thought of this

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Blocking an arrow with a hand weapon. Canopus got game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Let's go with this.

Also this thread has gotten me to try this game for the fifth time. I give it 50/50 odds I finally make it past chapter one.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Order of the Emptyquote pleases me.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

This made me chuckle a bit...

sure, why not

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God speed to you in LPing this massive, interesting, grind-heavy game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

What are you doing to improve the grind and crafting mater on? I'm thinking of starting this game soon on PPSSPP because my PSP Slim is long dead and I'm curious what's possible

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

grieving for Gandalf posted:

What are you doing to improve the grind and crafting mater on? I'm thinking of starting this game soon on PPSSPP because my PSP Slim is long dead and I'm curious what's possible

I'll be covering that when we open up crafting, but that's a ways away so if you're really curious

100% success rate
pot animation disabled
craft without materials

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

tithin posted:

I'll be covering that when we open up crafting, but that's a ways away so if you're really curious

100% success rate
pot animation disabled
craft without materials

It's been so long since I first played this that I'd forgotten that it could even fail. what an obnoxious system

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Team Emptyquote strikes again.

I'll work on this sometime this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 3-3: finalization

Short update today, just covering off the last of the conversation we missed at the end of the last update.

SHAZAM!

Not actually the worst possible choice of name hey, Emptyquote's a good choice. Well done.

Straight into the loving trash, yes.

: Excellent. I have much for you to do. Your first task takes you to the town of Krysaro, to the southwest. The captain of my knights, sir Leonar, has gone there in pursuit of the former overseer of this castle, a necromancer named Nybeth.

: Truth be told, he's having a harder time of it than was expected. You'll be going to Krysaro to aid him. Understood?

: You can count on us your grace.

: I expect you have little in way of coin, so I'm giving you 30,000 Goth from the treasury.

: And... allow me to appoint a few of my own knights to serve under you. Leave as soon as you're ready.

: No, it is I who should thank you.

: So you're off to aid one of the Duke's men. I regret we cannot join you.

Translation: The Kid Gloves are off.

: Above all else, stay alive. Win or lose, while there's life, there's hope.

: I'll try to remember that.

: Best not forget. The dead get no second chances.

*glances at the end game in disagreement*

: If death were our aim, there are swifter ways to go about it than soldiery.

Not that many

: True enough. Still, do not needlessly seek out danger. Enough will find you as it is.

: Of course.

: And you are...?

: Ravness Loxaerion, a knight in service of the duke. I would ride to Leonar's aid myself, but his grace has other need of me. I fear the task falls to you.

: No need of fear, friend. We took back this castle, didn't we?

: In a manner of speaking, I suppose.

: And what "manner" would that be?

: If it were not for the sacrifice of others, we would be no heroes of Golyat now.

: Make no mistake, I have high hopes for you. We must unite the people behind us if we are to put an end to this endless war. Word of your heroics emboldens them.

: Then you hold us up as heroes to serve some stratagem, is that it?

: If you do not like it, give truth to the lie. Write your own fate on the battlefield.

I just loving love the look these guys give her there.

So yeah, we get five freebie soldiers here, one of each "basic" class except Knight, but we recieved those class marks in the previous battle.

A brief run down as follows, and when I say brief, I mean very brief.

(OFS, you are welcome to reprise your class rundowns now)

Warriors: Are Gender neutral, males and females both can be warriors though their stats differ slightly in the longer term. They're all about being able to take frontline abuse and being able to dish it right back out.

Male warriors have a slightly higher Vitality, Intellect and Agility score. While Female Warriors have the higher Dexterity, Avoid and Resilience, making them slightly better at tanking spellcasters and archer shots as they have a higher ability to dodge.

Archers: Are another Gender Neutral class, and they have one big trick, and that's taking shots from across the loving map that're able to completely gently caress enemy spellcasters. No really, for roughly 60% of the game, Archers are your primary damage dealers. Their biggest downsides are that certain types of enemies have extremely high damage resistance to Archers and they are not remotely equipped to handle taking damage.

The stat differences are miniscule, Males have higher Dexterity, females higher strength.

Wizard / Enchantress: First of the Gender differentiated classes. They're essentially different mostly in name only. They learn mostly the same skills from memory. Enchantresses have higher damage based stats, while Wizards have higher defensive based stats.

These classes are, as you'll probably be able to guess, focussed on Elemental Magic, which doesn't neccessarily encompass straight and raw damage dealing, but dependant on your school of magic, extensive amounts of crowd control that will be absolutely required later in the game when you're being swarmed and desperately trying to limit damage to your front line.

Clerics: Are again, Gender Neutral - they focus primarily on debuff cleansing, healing in the early game, and are the first major class able to learn Exorcism, which permanently kills undead. This is something we'll get to in the very immediate future.

It should be noted that this is a different class entirely than Catiua's priest, which is a Unique Class, that has a few extra perks over and above the generic cleric.

Rune Fencer / Valkyrie: The second Gender differentiated classes. These classes focusses on Spears as their weapons (which have a two square attack), and the ability to buff allies with magic.

In the Venn Diagram of Wizards, Warriors, and Knights, this class sits squarely in between the three of them.

Their magic skills are focussed on buffing allies, and debuffing enemies, their offensive magics are limited and learned much later than their Wizardly counterparts.

Knights: Their Primary job is to be a giant loving wall of meat, prevent enemies from getting past them with Rampart Aura, and act as a backup cleric. That's it. They focus on heavy armour, heavy vitality, and can learn a limited range of spells from the Divine school.

At this stage the game has "formally" opened up to us, allowing us to recruit soldiers.

I am happy at this stage to accept up to 5 new troops and get rid of these 5 freebies thrust upon us.

Give me a name, a class and a gender you'd like this character. Ideally I get one of each.