Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

tithin posted:

Hey y'all,

you'll notice it's been a week and I've not updated in that time.

I tried to do the battle to recruit Oz and got stomped six ways from Sunday - so instead, I'm doing some wildwoods grinding to bring some of my less used classes / characters up to par, but it's slow going because I'm only doing a battle or two when I've got spare time.

I'll be back soon - hopefully - with an update.

Uhhhh if you are trying to recruit Oz, I got very bad news for you...

If you mean Ozma then I understand. Waterwalk and cloud walk work wonders for that map fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yeah, the ozma fight is real hard for when you get it. all of the dark knights were level 20+ while i was like 16 at max.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah I meant Ozma

It was actually a rude awakening just how tough they were. I was able to take out the leaders but the generic troops were tough as poo poo and did a lot of damage.

I knew I was outclassed when they were breaking out Heal 3, and their archers were out damaging Canopus / Arycelle.

When I checked my gear after, they were using gear two tiers higher than we can right now.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

A lot of the chapter is not feasible to actually do when it first shows up.

And this is in vanilla. In One Vision it's even scarier.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
For that battle I believe you only need to kill Volaq and then weaken Ozma, in that order. I just used a bunch of archers and sniped them from far away and ignored all the dark knights.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
If I ever did a Let's Play, I would include the part where I personally said "Screw this" and pulled out Cheat Engine. And you would all be gifted with images and images of hexadecimal codes where I find out the enemies HP (screw that guy) and my HP, and whether or not my turn is active, etc.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Andyzero posted:

If I ever did a Let's Play, I would include the part where I personally said "Screw this" and pulled out Cheat Engine. And you would all be gifted with images and images of hexadecimal codes where I find out the enemies HP (screw that guy) and my HP, and whether or not my turn is active, etc.

IF you're not enjoying the LP you could have said so earlier?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying the game's hard.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Aye, I'm oddly defensive this morning

more tea to get me to wake up. but yeah, poo poo's definitely on the up.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Dude, no, I love you. You and this LP are awesome.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
The way I played actually put me around the proper level for those fights my first time around.

Despite being my first play-through, I read that each class level gave a character currently in the fight of that class a permanent +0.1 to all stats, so I min-maxed by minimizing what classes I would use early on.

I started with 2 (though Canopus got to stay as his class) classes, that of Rune Fencer and Archer. I eventually let Ninja and Rogue join those ranks too. I also would use unique classes like Ranger.

This resulted in me being WAY over leveled for most of the game and put me on par with the bonus fights coming up due to how random fights scale with you but story fights don't till you get to about level 30 at least.

You also level faster the less amount of classes you use due to less exp splitting.

I eventually maxed out every other class (and uniques if applicable) for my final 10 crew of poo poo-kickers to maximize poo poo-kicking potential.

Yes, I'm insane :downs:

Though in my defense, besides getting Ninja/Rogue up to speed a little, I did almost no grinding up to this point.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 6, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 54 - The Will to Wage War?
gently caress all y'all - episode 3

: I will become like the ogre if I must. I see no way around it.

: You would choose the path of violence?

: But I cling to my hope, and will do so as long as I can. If anyone can save my sister...it is me.

: ...I will accompany you, Levi, if you will have me.

: You honor me.

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

Just a dream.. just a dream.. just.. a.. dream...

: What is it?

: Lady Phoraena's expedition for the Apocryhpa has not reported in on schedule.

: Sherri? The Almoricans' work.

: I cannot say, though given the circumstances...

: Perhaps they've taken hostages. Shall I send a party to Almorica?

: No. Leave them!

: My lord?

: I said leave them. Do not make me repeat myself again.

: She was given a simple task, and she failed. The Bakram have no need of such "aid."

: As you say, lord Regent.

-----------//-----------

It's been several weeks since the last update. This is because the next mission has kicked my rear end six ways from sunday.

The mission isn't advertised but is the final step in the recruitment chain for Ozma. The enemies are level 21 to our 17.

They use two tiers of gear higher than we do (did), and have the next tier of magic.

Off to Krysaro we go.

: I know you're upset, but you cannot allow your feelings to rule you.

: I hunt a traitor who has committed unconscionable crimes against his country. What could be more rational?

: With the war faltering, we cannot permit you to wreak havoc as you please.

: The situation demands unity. Now more than ever, we must stand as one.

: You would have us follow our orders without question in the name of unity?

: It is our duty. There cannot be order without trust.

: What he did, he did for your sake. It was not easy for him.

: And I'm to accept this? I'm to trust him?

: What I must. I will see whether Hobyrim lives for myself!

-----------//-----------

This fight has two variants with minor differences.

If you've Hobyrim in your party, you can recruit Ozma.

If you don't, you can't and need to kill her. That simple.

Enemy Composition:

Krysaro (Law only)

Condition(s): Kill Volaq and Ozma.

Red
Volaq (Knight Commander)
Ozma (Knight Commander)
Templar x13

Hoo boy, those "Templar x13" are really understating it. There's at least one Terror Knight in there, at least two Clerics and Knights and like, 3 loving archers.

Volaq and Ozma are no slouches either, the only good thing is that they start far the gently caress out from the rest of their party so it's easy enough to assassinate them to prevent them from becoming an issue later on.

-----------//-----------

It's been an incredibly long time since we were here. All the way back in Chapter one.

: A blind swordsman fought us at Rhime. Is he with you now?

Another straightforward choice. Saying No causes Ozma to wash her hands of the whole situation.

: You're alive.

: ...Why?

Because Oz was a loving psychopath

: They sought to make the truth of the lie.

: We have our orders. What matter the whys and wherefores?

: This man is our enemy. It is our oath-bound duty to strike at him!

Bless his loving heart, Volaq's trying desperately to keep the Dark Knights together.

-----------//-----------

: When they said you'd murdered your father, I felt something was amiss, but this.... I never imagined.

: He must have known what it would mean for us - for Lodis.

: Loslorien care nothing for means so long as their ends are met.

: You of all people must know this! As they shaped Lodis then, they shape Valeria now.

: They will rule by brute force and fear, and purge any who dare to speak against them. But the people of these islands have risen to overthrow their corrupt rulers.

: How long before Lodis meets the same fate?

-----------//-----------

: A knight commander, is it? You have the air of rank about you.

: Does nothing escape you? I shall have to take blind swordsmen much more seriously. To watch you moe, it is clear you are no common warrior. Let our steel sing, then. Your crimes against Lodis demand blood!

: Strike me if you can. I flee from no one.

That last one probably makes more sense if I'd kept him as a Swordmaster..

-----------//-----------

That's... not a lot of damage from one of our heaviest hitters. I didn't even notice the level 22 at this stage.

: Lanselot and Balxephon are the true betrayers!

: It is they who used the high priest to deceive the people. It is they who use you, Ozma!

-----------//-----------

That's a decent chunk of damage on Levi. Our Levi is a literal walking talking Abrahms tank.

That's, well, that's better but still not great.

my vague plan here was to go south across the lake with Old Man Murder and Hobyrim. this proves to be an error.

Nice

This much is true.

Jeunan's not as tanky as Levi, but he's still tanky enough to facetank beasts and dragons without taking much damage - we are very very underlevelled

yeah, Ozma's doing more on the counter than Levi's doing on attack. Maybe I should stick him in Swordmaster for a bit

doing everything we can to sandbag our way to victory

and failing loving miserably

This is about where I realised that this was a dead run

Crushing blow's a finishing move, no idea which.

We're kind of pushing for a technical victory here, which is to force Volaq to retreat and to get Ozma to critical health.

Oh, and one other thing - you need to have killed some of the generics, as well as have Hobyrim alive. I didn't know this at the time, so I kept pushing for a mathematically impossible victory

Avalanche is the ice version of Cragfall. Avalanche / Cragfall 2 is a cross shaped AOE version of the spell. It's also marginally stronger.

gently caress.

Off.

Jesus

Christ

Finally

Brave Ser Volaq ran away

down goes Jeunan

Trying to buy ourselves some time here.

I seem to remember this doing significantly more damage in Chapter ...2? 3?

Definitely fighting a losing battle here.

Seems a bit overkill ot use a finishing move on someone with 16hp, but hey

At this point it becomes apparent to me that my technical victory isn't possible. I need to grind some.

-----------//-----------

Our party's gone for a trot through the wildwoods again and are now an average of level 19.

I've played through and won the fight again - but figured I'd show what I was up against when I went straight here from our last battle.

tithin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 9, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this fight is a real mother fucker.

i was able to get through it at 15-16 with a shitload of luck and wheel usage, but even then it still took me like 4 retries.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

The way I played actually put me around the proper level for those fights my first time around.

Despite being my first play-through, I read that each class level gave a character currently in the fight of that class a permanent +0.1 to all stats, so I min-maxed by minimizing what classes I would use early on.

I started with 2 (though Canopus got to stay as his class) classes, that of Rune Fencer and Archer. I eventually let Ninja and Rogue join those ranks too. I also would use unique classes like Ranger.

This resulted in me being WAY over leveled for most of the game and put me on par with the bonus fights coming up due to how random fights scale with you but story fights don't till you get to about level 30 at least.

You also level faster the less amount of classes you use due to less exp splitting.

I eventually maxed out every other class (and uniques if applicable) for my final 10 crew of poo poo-kickers to maximize poo poo-kicking potential.

Yes, I'm insane :downs:

Though in my defense, besides getting Ninja/Rogue up to speed a little, I did almost no grinding up to this point.

Yeah, the way you stat up on levels is spot on, you get permanent stat ups if you're classed into that class when it levels up. It's why Levi is so loving tanky, he's practically solo levelled up the Knight class himself, it's not just him being a knight anymore, you stick him in any class and he's going to be hardier than any comparable generic or even unique by far.

Not sure I'm loving crazy enough to focus only on a significant class.

Ninjas/archers don't counter beasts well and those fuckers start showing up in bigger and bigger numbers later on.

tithin fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 6, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Ninjas/archers don't counter beasts well and those fuckers start showing up in bigger and bigger numbers later on.

Ninja have Shadowbind, which has a disturbingly high rate of success in this game. This will effectively neuter dragons/beasts most of the time.

As you're overleveled, story dragon/beasts don't do THAT well even against archers.

Also, Lobbers can do WONDERS against beasts if you bother to buy bombs (guess what most of my valks used).

Also, doing less damage to dragons than normal can actually be an advantage if you're thinking about the long game :witch:

I didn't have to go out of my way to complete that particular part of a certain sub-quest gently caress those Pumpkins though

mauman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 6, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm interested in the story, so I'm totally in favour of you editing the game into giving you good gear or whatever.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 55 - Reunification

Let's try this again, shall we?

Between updates, I sent our team through the Wildwoods to level up. Collectively we went from an average of 16/17 to 18/19. We're still underlevelled, but the level bump let us use new skills and equipment, reducing the disparity between our forces.

We are now capable of dealing non-trivial damage to our foes. Meaning instead of getting stuck in a sandbag stalemate situation, we're better able to take down our foes.

God, what a bad rear end.

It was asked earlier why I didn't just cheat given how difficult the game can be in the end game. Real easy.

The game cheats too.

Basically level scaling's a thing, if you get to too high a level over the storyline (I think it's 5 levels), enemies start scaling to your level which is a bad thing when you're not in the post game, because they start getting better skills.

I'll touch ever level scaling ~later~ - right now we're struggling because the game doesn't expect you to be able to fight this at the level you get access to it.

Half the postgame poo poo opens up the second you get access to chapter 4. There's a reason we didn't do the pirate fortress immediately, because unlike this which is "hard but winnable if you take the right precautions and grind a bit" the pirate fortress really needs you to be on level and on par with gear.

Condition one (Volaq must have fled): Met.

The enemy Templars functionally don't care about Ozma. They're not going to heal her, and they don't care if they damage her. They'll drop debuffs on her with no concerns.

Definitely having a lot of an easier time with this battle than the last time I came through.

We're using improved siege bows, so technically better bows than the enemy are using. They have a chance on hit to land Bind meaning that the enemy can't move. The enemy also have their own methods of inflicting this status on us.

The enemy knights have enough TP to chain Phalanx, and heals, so pushing past them is pointless.

Black Williwaw is an AoE bind - it's an Air school spell and useful. It shares a spell school with Balmy Breeze (AoE sleep).

Both frontlines enter trench warfare mode.

Honestly this is probably one of the more interesting fights I've had in a while, from end of chapter 1 through present it's mostly been about brute forcing my way through whatever challenge gets presented and I've not been able to do that this battle.

You can't overpower, when there's level scaling, because it includes gear and skill scaling too.

Cragfall 2 we covered in the last update. It's Cragfall, but multitarget, and a fraction stronger.

Ravness casually sidesteps a finishing move. This had a real low chance to hit - like, loving 25%.

Condition 2 (Hobyrim must be concious) - Failing

Didn't dodge that one though.

Condition 3 (Ozma at Critical HP) - Complete.

Hard to see here, but Ozma just Parry'd something.

Lightning Bow - But the Orbs are Bigger.

Take Dragoons out of their niche and they're extremely mediocre.

One day I'll stop making "Nice" jokes, it's not today.

I don't remember the name of this spell, but it basically hives off a portion of damage from the target onto the Knight instead. Vaguely irritating for when you're trying to murderfuck a squishy.

It even works on AoE skills and finishing moves.

I can't believe Stephen Colbert is a war criminal.

:argh:

This is how Knights can be annoying. Take 0 damage, heal your allies, take full healing.

Definitely remember those being... better than that. I wonder if that damage scales off intelect and would therefore do more damage if a Wizard were to use the items.

No squishies in range, start focus firing their Knights now.

You'll notice this is a high heal for a heal 1 - 89hp.

It was cast with a Cleric skill, Mothers blessing, which doubles the amount of HP a heal spell does. Very handy in a pinch. Costs 50tp which takes a long time for a cleric to get - unless they take a hit in which case they'll be rolling in TP.

Enemy archers are pushing for our squishies where they can.

Thankfully we bust her HP back to fullish just in time to take a second hit.

This enemy warriors aim stat must be loving dick all because jesus christ.

Condition 2 - Met.

Never has a congratulations screen been more welcome.

So yeah, we basically completed this mission 3-4 levels under par. We might be a level or two overlevelled for some more of the story coming up as a result.

-----------//-----------

: I was once one of them.

: I hope you've an explanation for this.

Not a secret, if you've been reading the text up until now.

: Von Rahms? Sir Balxephon -

: - is my brother. And Ozma was to be my bride.

: How could you keep this from me?

: Hear me out. I have long since turned my back on Loslorien.

: What!?

: Balxephon murdered our parents.

-----------//-----------

: They make no obeisance to High Priest Sardian, yet they fawn over every merchant and upstart house with two coins to rub together!

: Decay eats Lodis from within. Only Loslorien can cut away the rotten flesh! Lord father, when the senate convenes tomorrow, we must have your support!

: When did you become a tool of the aristocracy?

: Ours is an old and noble house. You tarnish our name with this needless groveling!

: Open your eyes! The senate is a suppurating wound in the body of Lodis.

: Our father was a species of disease!

: The people are already ours. You know that.

: There's nothing you can do to stop us now.

: The wheels are already set in motion.

: You will follow me!

-----------//-----------

: The High Priest's men purged the senate and filled its ranks with bootlicks and scullions.

: The blame for my father's murder fell on me. As punishment, they plucked out my eyes and banished me from Lodis.

: How horrible...

: I did not learn of my mother's death until a month after the rebellion. The official account declared her the victim of some mischance or another....

: In truth she was poisoned because she would not lend her voice to their cause.

: And it was Balxephon who made word of this "mischance" known...

: ...

: I know how this must sound, but I swear in Philaha's name that every word is true.

: So you've come here seeking vengeance.

: I came to Valeria seeking vengeance, but that is not the only reason I remain. Yours is a worthy cause, Levi. I would join you.

: But the country I knew is gone. High Priest Sardian has twisted it beyond recognition. I could not save Lodis, but it's not too late for Valeria!

: If I can aid them in their revolution, I will do it gladly.

: I see...

: I should be glad to have you at my side.

: Thank you, Levi.

: What now, Ozma? Knowing the truth, will you return to Loslorien?

: Nothing would please me more than to join you, Hobyrim.

: But the Resistance killed my brother, a debt I have yet to repay.

Ozma respects strength, and straightforwardness. Option 1 is the correct choice to recruit her. Wishy washy talk of forgiveness will only lead to her rejecting you. This war has cost you both.

: But he told me to be a stone along the path to our salvation.

: Begrudging you his death serves nothing. If it will move Valeria toward peace, then you are welcome among us.

: What's done is done.

: It would be easier to cut you down were you not so obliging.

: Let me be your eyes, Hobyrim.

: Though it may be you who shows me the way.

: Thank you, Ozma. It cheers me to hear you say so.

-----------//-----------

Oof, yeah, she loses a lot of stats for the sakes of joining us, but she'll be a permanent fixture to the team now.

She starts at rank 4 in everything. Even loving Canopus, who's our hardest hitter has only just skimmed into rank 3 in bows.

She starts with five loving finishing moves. Level 1 & 2 for swords and whips, as well as her unique finisher for whips, which we've already seen can smash in your face.

Ho ho ho, welcome to the party pal.

On the next episode - I've got no loving idea. At all.

tithin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

As much as I absolutely would love recommending using whips due her unique finisher...

That's NOT where she truly shines :downs:

If only it was possible to get 2 one-handed whips :negative:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Fix you tags, friend - they're not properly closed in both last updates.

Other than that, well done for surviving this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I honestly expected the eye-plucking to occur in that scene with the two brothers, rather than later after Hobyrim was thrown in prison, since the dialogue there includes back-to-back "to be my eyes", "begone from my sight", "open your eyes!", and "a suppurating wound in the body". I wonder if that was intentional?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

As much as I absolutely would love recommending using whips due her unique finisher...

That's NOT where she truly shines :downs:

If only it was possible to get 2 one-handed whips :negative:

Feel free to make recommendations - this is the furthest I've ever been in law personally, so I dunno how to build her!

Szurumbur posted:

Fix you tags, friend - they're not properly closed in both last updates.

Other than that, well done for surviving this.

Done - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Feel free to make recommendations - this is the furthest I've ever been in law personally, so I dunno how to build her!

Dual wield, double daggers (not 1hand swords as they are terrible). Take mighty blow for when you can drive some poor sap up against a wall (or where they otherwise can't be moved by a crit). Eventually you can drop mighty blow since it'll be massive overkill. From there, take what you like (you can take rampart aura for instance so you're enemies can't move past you, or flee from your mighty mightiness). Though you should take obvious skills (like swiftness 2, strengthen 4, spellward 2) of course. Take HP infusion to effectively make her immortal, if you like.

Not even dragons can take that kind of punishment. You shouldn't even need dragon/beast slayer. Though she CAN take those if you feel cheeky. :getin:

She can also use 2h xbows if you want to go ranged with her (weaker, but still good in the short term but will be better in the long term). Or do both as I did, dual wield at first then xbows in the post game when melee started to get weaker. You can always scavenge xbow 4 from some poor random sap later on. Or if you're going to show it off you mad, mad person you, she's a perfect candidate for the ogre set

Also, stick with ice element since the best pre-post-game daggers are ice. By the time you get to better daggers, you REALLY shouldn't need them. You don't even need to go into the super-bonus dungeon to get them.

If you go xbows, go light element since the best pre-post game xbows are light elemental and you can easily scavenge 4 in light at the beginning of the post game. Bonus points for light, since even with stronger xbows lying around, there's so much undead to fight that the light xbows remain comparable (if not better) most of the time.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ozma is basically the best character in the unmodded game.

I do not know what training regimen the Dark Knights go through but it must be amazing.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Ozma is basically the best character in the unmodded game.

Her class get's surpassed at ultra high levels of play, but she's never bad. She'll forever be the best character due to her natural initiative (the fastest of anybody).

Even then, it really doesn't matter at that point, so there's no real point to NOT keep her as a K.C.

For most of the game, as one F.A.Q. put it, "At long last it is playable, and even in your wildest dreams you would not have imagined how powerful it is".

I also agree with the FAQ that the K.C.'s greatest weakness is a lack of access to higher spellward skills, so she's never truly safe from status attacks. Though spellward 2 will usually do the job.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 9, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's frankly almost unchanged from their SNES abilities.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Please show off Ozma rampage in the next episode.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Please show off Ozma rampage in the next episode.

The problem is that he needs to grind her up to proper level.

I always kept Ozma with whips but I'm also a purist with some stuff. Since she has her own unique weapon and her own unique finisher, I just had to keep her that way.

With that said Ozma with a cursed weapon is just not fair.

Edit: explanation- cursed weapons are essentially weightless, so your characters act more often. And one of the fastest, if not the fastest, characters in the game going more often is just absurd.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

The problem is that he needs to grind her up to proper level.

I always kept Ozma with whips but I'm also a purist with some stuff. Since she has her own unique weapon and her own unique finisher, I just had to keep her that way.

And yet she comes with Ice, which is literally perfect for a dagger build. Does she even come with her weapon in Law? I want to say no, but I'm not sure as it's been a while since I finished that part of the game.

Whips also, sadly, stink to high heaven (though I'll acknowledge that they're not the worst weapons Nope, they are equal in shittiness to the most poo poo type of weapons, so they're tied for worst). Not even Ozma's finisher can save them. If that's how you want to do it due to purity or a self-nerf, then I won't judge you. But it can't be argued that it's going to truly allow Ozma to shine as bright as she can.

edit - just checked and NOPE, no whip. You can get it from the fight if you kill her, but evidently she threw it in the river while surrendering if you recruit her :downs:

Also, Ozma can be a white knight if, for some reason, you want to be REALLY weird.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 9, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 56 - Miscellaneous

An off-kilter update today as we start to wrap things up and make our push towards the end of the story.

Hello Deneb, we will be seeing much more of you in the future.

Deneb is a shopowner who sells rare scrolls and class marks. She is a recruitable and can be recruited in one of two forms, depending on how loving much you love to grind.

Given I am a loving MASOCHIST I will probably do the second one.

We pick up three of very holy spell, being a Buff Dispel (for hostile targets), a Debuff Dispel (for friendlies) and Exorcism 2 (AoE exorcism).

We also get access to level 3 missile spells, so pick up one of everything. I then promptly forget that they exist for the subsequent mission.

-----------//-----------

Now that we've cleared up what happened between Hobyrim and Balxephon for Ozma, we can see what happened on the timeline, when she confronted the Dark Knights about it.

: The blind swordsman we encountered at Rhime was Hobyrim.

: I have it from one of our own whisperers in the Resistance!

: You've been busy, then.

: You gave the order, Balxephon. I merely received the report.

: Had I not chanced to do so, I very much doubt I would ever have learned of it.

: ...

: Why go on denying it?

: There should be no secrets among friends.

: You have the right of it, Ozma. Hobyrim lives.

: Why, Balxephon? How could you lie to me?

: A grave crime, yes. But I could not bear to see my brother, my own blood, imprisoned and put to death.

: Nor could I merely set him free. As adjutant, I bore certain...responsibilities.

: I took his eyes to mark him for his crime, made it appear as though he died in the dungeons, and banished him.

Ozma's having none of his bullshit.

: When were were at Phidoch, I suspected nothing. Why lie to me then?

: It was for your own good. Hobyrim was to be your husband, and ordering the man put to his death seemed too cruel by far.

: Hobyrim had brought you enough suffering. I did not wish to see it continue.

: Lies upon lies!

: You disobeyed orders to save your own brother, as I recall.

: Had you kept that from us, I don't expect we would have seen such a commotion.

: That's women for you. Always poking their noses where they don't belong, and turning them up when they mislike what they smell.

: ...The traitor who murdered the stratarchis, his own father, lives in hiding on these isles.

: Bringing him to justice is our sacred duty. If you will not see it done, I will!

Hell hath no fury

And this closes the loop on the Ozma / Hobyrim sidequest.

-----------//-----------

: Abuna Mreuva, is the king's tomb located at Barnicia?

: I do not know.... I had already left the city when the king passed.

: Yet, I find their actions baffling.

: How so?

: I heard no claims that the king had been buried anywhere but the royal mausoleum.

: I am sure that the queen and prince rest there, in the city.

: So they search for a different tomb.

: True enough.

: I doubt Brantyn expects us to move on them there.

: And we should have the support of the people if we're seen as wresting the princess from the hands of the Dark Knights.

: I am inclined to agree.

: Send one legion to Iorumza Canyon to draw the Bakram forces' attention.

: While they are so occupied, I will lead a detachment directly on Barnicia.

-----------//-----------

The following scene is easily missable, it's only available AFTER you discover the princess is at Phidoch castle, AND it's storming, AND you just so happen to wander to Balmamusa.

: Quite the downpour. I'm drenched myself.

: We'd best dry off, or we'll catch our deaths of cold.

: You've come to kill me, yes?

: Do as you will.

: I've grown weary of...this.

: What are you saying? We've been searching for you!

: Father has been worried so. Come home, sister, please!

: Home? Where might that be?

: Home is.... I have no home. You took it from me!

: Levi?

: What's wrong?

: You can't kill me in front of your sister, can you.

I swear Levi has a loving death wish.

: Sister! No!

I don't really have a lot to say about Sherri - I didn't use her much personally but she and her sisters do get access to a unique class in a seperate sidequest we'll get access to soon and which Sherri hinted at during her first encounter.

-----------//-----------

Next Stop - Barnicia Cas..

Golyat

: Xapan? What are you doing here?

: Come to pluck your Gourd! What else!

: So you serve a new master.

: Should've hired me on while you had the chance.

-----------//-----------

It's been a long time since we've seen Xapan. He was a mercenary we rescued a very long time ago from headhunters. After we rescued him we were given the option to recruit him.

We didn't - because Berserkers were garbage (they are) and because if you don't recruit him, this fight becomes available. If you WORLD back here when you're level 33+, one of the Witches has a chance to drop Grimoire Abimes II which is only really available deep in a post game dungeon.

As for what Abimes is... well, we'll just have to wait and see won't we? :greenangel:

It's a Level 2 Apocrypha Dark spell, only usable by extremely powerful unique classes, most of which we've not yet encountered.

Seeing as this battle doesn't show up on guides, I don't have any "official" enemy composition:

Estimated(!) Enemy Composition

Xapan (Berserker)
1x Earth(?) Dragon
1x Basilisk
2x Gryphon
2x Beast Tamer
1x Berserker
1x Swordmaster
1x Gremlim Something
3x Winged Somethings. [/b]

-----------//-----------

One thing I'll appreciate by bows is their sheer verticality.

:toot:

The beasts are ~mostly~ proving to be less of an issue here, they keep going for Canopus, and our arrows are enough to significantly damage them / kill them as they get to within melee range of him with sufficient focus fire.

Nerraw's been sniping kills just based purely on turn order, and this will continue for some time.

Hobyrim is a fantastic Ninja.

I really need to scavenge a couple of Ninjas.

Lenneth's health bar continues to yoyo up and down.

I don't even remember what happened here, suffice it to say Olivya took a crit from something

Xapan enters the fray.

x2

Nerraw hits like a truck now that he's eaten so many int cards.

Our archers are crushing them.

Ah poo poo

Our right flank basically loving collapsed thanks to the one shot from the Gryphon.

Mother's Blessing + Heal 2 = 125 HP.

:gas:

:gas:

We could ride this out and kill the other 4 units, but I was feeling lazy, and drunk last night, so I decide it's throat murdering time.

I missed the damage, but it was a crit counter that knocked her into the water. She's basically stuck there now.

-----------//-----------

: Live by the sword, Die by the sword.

: I always preferred "He who fights and runs away."

: Not too late to hire me on, though. I won't even charge you!

I loving LOVE this choice. I went with option 2.

: A Mercenary's only worth what you pay him. What does that say about you?

: Still, I think we'll get our money's worth... but I'll be watching you.

: You won't have to worry none about me. Honest as the day is long, I am!

: What have I gotten myself into?

There's a roughly 900% chance that you're only going to see Xapan once, ever again.

When I world back to a fight to see some alternate dialogue that has explicit lines from him in it.

-----------//-----------

On the next episode, we begin the long trip to pay our sister a visit.

tithin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Sherry is the best of the sisters, considering what the ultimate goal of a sister is in this game. She also uses arguably the best (non-light) element. Always loved her recruitment too...so poignant.

Didn't know about the early darkness summon 2, and I'm kinda shocked about that. Going to go make a darkness valkyrie now to totally abuse that. derp

And speaking of both Sherry and summon darkness, the only way to get the summon dark spell in the first game was to kill Sherry :saddowns:

tithin posted:

Deneb is a shopowner who sells rare scrolls and class marks. She is a recruitable and can be recruited in one of two forms, depending on how loving much you love to grind.

Given I am a loving MASOCHIST I will probably do the second one.

:getin:

Assuming you do this before level scaling kicks in, you will at least get a TON of money for your troubles.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 10, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Sherry is the best of the sisters, considering what the ultimate goal of a sister is in this game.

Didn't know about the early darkness summon 2, and I'm kinda shocked about that. Going to go make a darkness valkyrie now to totally abuse that.

And speaking of both Sherry and summon darkness, the only way to get the summon dark spell in the first game was to kill Sherry :saddowns:

It's the level 2 Darkness Apocrypha spell!

Classes that can learn / use:

Class Usage: Lich (Lv. 37), Lord (Lv. 39), Dark Priest (Lv. 40), Astromancer (Lv. 38), Wicce (Lv. 39), Cyclops (Lv. 38)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

It's the level 2 Darkness Apocrypha spell!

Classes that can learn / use:

Class Usage: Lich (Lv. 37), Lord (Lv. 39), Dark Priest (Lv. 40), Astromancer (Lv. 38), Wicce (Lv. 39), Cyclops (Lv. 38)

whoops.

Misread you there. Thought you said the summon spell.

Either way, didn't realize you could get it here, even if that excites me a little less :downs:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You got yourself a pet idiot. Congrats!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well yeah Levi has a death wish. Motherfucker would love to just die and have all this burden cast off him. But he doesn't, cause he has others that rely on him. A nation that needs his help. Sherri drawing a blade on him probably made him hopeful for a second that either hey, he's right about her and she puts it down, or he's wrong and he gets to die knowing his judgement was faulty anyway.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Forgot to mention, both Olivia and Sherry have VERY GOOD (tied for sixth place) -RT scores, which puts them very high on the "best characters list" along with good class access, and they're definitely the best sisters (which is nice if going law) stat wise.

Also, I like them better than the chaos only sisters.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 10, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Ah, Deneb.

Deneb is one of those villains who stopped being evil, and eventually just became part of Team Good despite not actually repenting. (Also known as pulling a Vegeta.)

She was a member of the Empire in the first Ogre Battle. She used to kill a lot of people according to the locals, but then started messing with pumpkins instead, making pumpkin people and monsters. Main Character Destin could kill her, spare her, and in some cases recruit her. ...and in some endings, marry her.

Technically it could be any of these, as she's one of those people in Ogre Battle who just don't die when you kill her. She's a "Wicce" who can body-jump. I suspect she transforms pumpkins into human bodies, as all her bodies look exactly like her. So even if Destin killed her, I can see her popping back up and pestering him until he decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

....there was a way to create a host body for Deneb in Knight of Lodis; but as people complain, that game wasn't canon.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

Ah, Deneb.

Deneb is one of those villains who stopped being evil, and eventually just became part of Team Good despite not actually repenting. (Also known as pulling a Vegeta.)

She was a member of the Empire in the first Ogre Battle. She used to kill a lot of people according to the locals, but then started messing with pumpkins instead, making pumpkin people and monsters. Main Character Destin could kill her, spare her, and in some cases recruit her. ...and in some endings, marry her.

Technically it could be any of these, as she's one of those people in Ogre Battle who just don't die when you kill her. She's a "Wicce" who can body-jump. I suspect she transforms pumpkins into human bodies, as all her bodies look exactly like her. So even if Destin killed her, I can see her popping back up and pestering him until he decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

....there was a way to create a host body for Deneb in Knight of Lodis; but as people complain, that game wasn't canon.

Nope, it has to be one of the spare options, since the game flat out states in the character logs that she was part of the Xenobian magicians corp.

Also, Knight of Lodis is as canon as a game can be, since the person who said it wasn't canon doesn't actually have that ability (nor ownership) to say so.

Like I said, it'd be like George Lucas saying "The Force Awakens" isn't canon.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wow ok, looks like I desperately misunderstood scavenging. I can't scavenge spells, only skills.

Decoy only drops from one specific unit, between level 24 and 26 during the Sherri fight?

Jesus christ.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Wow ok, looks like I desperately misunderstood scavenging. I can't scavenge spells, only skills.

Decoy only drops from one specific unit, between level 24 and 26 during the Sherri fight?

Jesus christ.

Yup, Decoy is one of the few "lost forever" things in this game. Made sure to get myself two copies of it.

Not that I ever use it, nor does every ninja that I now use have it :downs:

edit - just checked and supposedly you can get it at Heim as well. Not that I've ever seen it drop there. Same level restrictions apply though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

Jesus christ.

You have plenty before it's lost forever though. Two things matter. Denam's class level and the generics you bring with you. So if you have Denam on one of his unique classes and say 6 cloud dragons at level 24, then you would be eligible to get the drop for decoy.

Also as far as scavenging enemy units that you recruit in battle: only the first 4 skill slots will come with the character when you recruit them.

Meaning if enemy warrior has hammers level 4 in slot 1, then you could kill that character off and give hammers level 4 to a better character of the same race (human, lizard, hawkman etc.) But TO is very much an rear end in a top hat like Stormfront, there is no mixing of the races when you want to scavenge.

If there is something good in slots 5-10 like augment earth level 5, then too bad you are SOL.

When you do a friendly character though that you have trained up, all skills will transfer and high level skills will be automatically applied.