Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

Hey Tithin, make sure you make a separate save and kill off Catiua before the next major story portion. Heim .

It's a special battle that will not occur any other way. It's not particularly noteworthy other than the fact that it's a special battle.

I just checked and my last manual save was at the uh, decision to have Catiua kill herself or not.

I'll just need to go back to it at WORLD

mauman posted:

That's what you-know-what tarot is for.

So one can have their cake AND eat it too.

Woosh over my head

tithin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

tithin posted:

I just checked and my last manual save was at the uh, decision to have Catiua kill herself or not.

Woosh over my head

Well since you flat out said it, I was talking about World, which would allow you to go back and show it regardless.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Well since you flat out said it, I was talking about World, which would allow you to go back and show it regardless.

Ah right

yeah, pretty sure I've mentioned it before.

But it'll still be neat to show it off soon, no?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

tithin posted:

Woosh over my head

If that's your last manual save spot you are good. Also my fault on the city. It's Oeram

Just make a manual save before you go to Oeram and then have Catiua lose all of her hearts in random battles. Then go to Oeram

Also, I don't know what your plans are for Deneb but if you plan on getting her special class you have to do it the first time through the game. You can not get the Wicce class for her on secondary play throughs.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

All this spoilered stuff with things you can do in Chapter 4 blows my mind.

The original game had a stupid amount of optional content in Chapter 4 to the point that I found it too grindy and tedious and I quit doing it. And I'm a completionist.

The stuff you are all referencing is bonkers.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

Also, I don't know what your plans are for Deneb but if you plan on getting her special class you have to do it the first time through the game. You can not get the Wicce class for her on secondary play throughs.

Not entirely true. If you kill her off/dismiss her you can re-do the whole thing.

But seriously, gently caress that :negative:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

If that's your last manual save spot you are good. Also my fault on the city. It's Oeram

Just make a manual save before you go to Oeram and then have Catiua lose all of her hearts in random battles. Then go to Oeram

So I spun off a different save, killed her off, and went all the way through to Heim with no differences. The game still treated her as alive, despite her being on the roster as deceased.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 60 - Clearing a path to the Royal City

It's been a while since we've read the news so some of this is outdated.

Also some of this is going to formally open up the postgame sidequests, so our map is going to change from this;

to this;

-----------//-----------

Da daily Waagh!

Resistance on the March!

"Resistances forces are advancing on Heim. A Large Bakram Contingent has also been seen leaving the capital. However, no Dark Knights accompany the Bakram, lending weight to rumours of a falling out between them. The armies will soon clash head to head."

-----------//-----------

Mysterious Blast on Exeter

"A mysterious blast has been heard on Exeter, an Island Northwest of the Valerian mainland. Exter is the site of the dungeon known as the Palace of the Dead. Many have entered is halls seeking riches, but the few who have returned did so empty handed.

Some believe the blast to be magical in nature. "

We'll be seeing far too much of the Palace of the dead.

Or, safe to say, I will see too much of it. Y'all will be getting the cliff notes version of it.

All 100 floors of it.

Then all 125 floors of it.

-----------//-----------

Princess Rescued at Barnicia

"Upon hearing that Princess Versalia was held captive by the Dark Knights, the Resistance launched an attack on Barnicia Castle. The castle was captured and the princess is now safely back in Resistance hands.

The Dark Knights claim the Resistance are holding the Princess as a prisoner of war, but the Princess denies this."

-----------//-----------

Whoops, looks like I only screenshot this one incorrectly.

This quest chain unlocks the fusilier class.

-----------//-----------

The Ancient Temples

"Six fortresses scattered across Valeria serve to protect if from foreign enemies. But few are aware that these were not built as strongholds. The fortresses were temples dedicated to the six daughters of the Great Father Philaha.

The temple areas remain today, but the entryways from the fortifications were sealed during the reign of King Dorgalua. No one knows why the temples were sealed off, or how the seals can be broken. "

Another sidequest that - potentially - leads to Apocrypha spells and the unlocking of the Shaman class for the daughters of Mreuva.

From memory, activation of this requires all(?) of Mreuva's daughters to get into the temples.

-----------//-----------

The Pirate's Graveyard

"On the island of Oedlark off the southernmost tip of Valeria are a series of undersea caverns known as the Pirates Graveyard. They are legendary among treasure hunters, said to hold untold riches in their depths.

Currents from the South and Northwest converge in the waters surrounding the Pirate's Graveyard and its reefs make navigation difficult for all but the most skilled sailors.

Upon reaching the caverns, explorers must contend with all manner of deadly creatures, and it is littered with the corpses of failed adventuerers. It is no wonder that none have yet claimed the treasures said to lie within.

Another side quest dungeon, this one will be best served being tackled simultaneously to the CODA (a series of epilogue DLC that serves as a final farewell to our protagonists).

-----------//-----------

Oops I tripped and fell

How terribly clumsy of me.

-----------//-----------

The following two fights are.. well, the first one isn't a speedbump. It's actually kind of mean actually, but the second one sure as gently caress is a speedbump so we're going to kind of.. just smash past it without a lot of thought.

Can you see why the first one isn't a speedbump?

I'll give you a hint: The Octopi are back to being extremely annoying.

-----------//-----------

Iorumza Canyon

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Stanoska.

Red
Stanoska (Beast Tamer)
R. Berserker
R. Juggernaut x2
H. Enchantress
H. Valkyrie x2
R. Warrior x2
Octopus x2
W. Archer x2

All up a very straightforward fight. There's cliffs all around the map but they're so far away from the fighting to not be usable.

The greatest - read, only - threat to us are the three Octopi who are tanky enough to weather our hits and then rain (pun, not typo) punishment upon our team. Once they're dead, the enemy team crumples.

-----------//-----------

This is going to hurt. a lot.

All that damage was one cast - acid rain is a bastard, especially if multiple of them go off at once. Those 3 together are the reasn why this fight is kind of mean.

The one ~big~ downside to Dragoons is how TP dependant that they are - without their *slayer moves, they are just kind of mediocre.

Here comes the second cast

we survived, even the lowbies but 2 casts of that have utterly hosed our team healing wise.

and of course, because we've got XP leeches with us, they're the highest priority for the AI

Bound overrides shackled, here comes the pain train..

That's for loving us up you jerk!

Anyway, with the challenging part of the map completed, let's scoot past the boring poo poo.

-----------//-----------

One of our thread regulars, in between episodes told us that there was a special fight in the next town, subject to Catiua having lost all of her hearts.

I wasn't able to get it to trigger, but I did take great pleasure in killing off Catiua. These are her "loss of a life / heart" quotes.

First loss

Last one (didn't screencap the second one)

RIP Catiua.

-----------//-----------

Oeram - Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Hanzo.

Red
Hanzo (Swordmaster)
H. Cleric x2
Cockatrice x2
H. Knight
H. Archer x2
H. Dragoon
W. Warrior x3
H. Dragoon

A fairly boring fight. The map is new, and reminds me of the second Balmamusa fight. It's very vertical, with the enemy having the benefit of LoS and height.

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

On the next episode: Heim.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Palace of the Dead is what finally got me to put down the game, and I legitimately did the Galgastani Death March because I am a moron who loves necromancers.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the palace of the dead in this version of the game is better than the original, which was just 100 floors of the same goddamn room, but it's still a terrible slog. the fact you have to go through like 130 rooms minimum if you plan on doing the coda+normal sidequest loving sucks.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 22, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's weird seeing the portrait of the swordmasters as young blonde dudes when in the original, they were old men with white hair and beards, and even this version's sprite of them still has white hair.

re: killing off Catiua and alternate routes. I think you're supposed to go back to Phidoch after you do it to activate that story sequence.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 22, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Is she "actually" dead?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is she "actually" dead?

No - seperate save file.

Maum PM'd me seperately - turns out the way to do it is to first unlock the fusilier class via sidequest, then kill her off, then go to Phipdoch to get it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The Palace of the Dead is what finally got me to put down the game, and I legitimately did the Galgastani Death March because I am a moron who loves necromancers.

I can't say this enough, you don't actually need to death march 90% of the time. You can get special character though enough choices in the story to prevent death march.

Some of the story choices we haven't touched yet though so I'll hold off. But honestly if you are death matching you are doing it wrong.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

waah posted:

I can't say this enough, you don't actually need to death march 90% of the time. You can get special character though enough choices in the story to prevent death march.

Some of the story choices we haven't touched yet though so I'll hold off. But honestly if you are death matching you are doing it wrong.

I...what....DAMMIT!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose that's kind of the problem with having so much game after you've chumped the dark knights. Now there's just these random assholes being all like "stop him! oh god somebody stop him!" and there's no tension.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I...what....DAMMIT!

You do have to do a few contrarian things to pull it off though.

Like bar yourself from certain sub-quests.

The BIGGEST galgastani CF bonus you can get though is to let Catiua die and then not condemn the raping and pillaging of the Bakram. Seriously, for such a dick move you get a HUGE CF bonus.

But yes, on a non-serious playthrough (hello World) it's not hard to get the proper CF needed for the Chaos only character. No Death March required.

Nor would I recommend Death March due to them messed up things a high CF can do.

edit - are you going to show off the alternative battle leading up to Oeram (the desert one)? That battle is amazingly great for grinding. Both money AND exp.

Seriously, if you're crazy enough (like me) to power level classes then that's the place to do it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 23, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 61 - Cleaving a path through the Royal City

It's time.

A three fight stronghold, with the first fight being split between going in the front door, or the sides. I chose the left hand side as opposed to the other two.

-----------//-----------

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Deram.

Red
Deram (Terror Knight)
H. Wizard
H. Cleric
H. Valkyrie x2
H. Witch
H. Berserker x2
Dark Dragon
W. Archer

This fight's not really a pushover, but at the same time, I'm also not going to linger on it.

The fight is unfortunately structured in such a way that half the opponents (including the boss) filter down to you in ones and twos, so there's absolutely no challenge.

-----------//-----------

Takes some real chutzpah to look at the actual monarch of the realm and go "nah, I'm not gonna let you in, gently caress off before you get ganked"

these guys are too far away to be of any impact to the file.

-----------//-----------

: Levi goes too far! How stand the knights of Lodis? You've lost my trust.

: I hope you've not lost your nerve as well!

: Or do you fancy taking my city from me, as a Coda to losing the Princess of Barnicia!?

: I thought you in hiding, Lord Tartaros, so little have I seen of you.

: Finally muster the strength to stand in that armor of yours?

: You appear to be embattled, your excellency.

: A jest, yes? We are two rabbits in the same pot.

: Is it the largely uncontested loss of Phidoch and Barnicia that weighs upon your shoulders, or shame at your own inadequacy?

: Perhaps you should ride out and face our foes if you do not wish to become even more of a laughingstock!

: I did not come to talk strategy. I am come to bid you farewell.

: You would abandon us - your allies - now!?

: Your excellency should learn to govern his tongue.

: Had you but followed our instructions, none of this would have come to pass.

: I include the matter of the Princess when I say this!

: All you needed to do was abandon that Eltynaha puppet of yours and offer up the throne - it is what the people wanted!

The rift between the Dark Knights appears to have hit Catastrophic, or Lanselot underestimated Brantyn's natural ability to exploit weaknesses

-----------//-----------

Choosing any option, will lock off the other two.

Mate, that's literally your queen in the courtyard. I'd be more worried about the usurper on the throne.

-----------//-----------

Enemy Composition

Heim Courtyard

Condition(s): Kill Latimer.

Red
Latimer (Knight)
H. Cleric
H. Wizard
H. Ninja x5
Iron Golem
H. Archer x2
H. Warlock
H. Valkyrie x2

Another "easy" fight, for much the same reason. The enemy archers are on the left wall and unreachable, so will pepper you. Half the enemy composition are Ninjas who won't use Decoy.

Basically the fight goes that the Ninjas & Boss will rush you in ones and twos, while the Cleric, Wizard, Warlock and Archers are drat near rooted in place. The Golem is close enough to you at the start to not be a major threat.

-----------//-----------

The plan is simple - if we get too close to the left side of the map, we're going to be gang banged by arrows. So we're going to stick to the courtyard.

Eagle eyed observers will wonder what the gently caress happened in this screenshot. She is using a "Bardiche" which is one of the upper layers of spear.

Where a normal spear would attack like this (where X represents the character, and O represents the attack vector)

code:
XOO
Bardiches attack like so

code:
X-OO
(where - indicates a dead zone)

I've given a few of these to our spear users, but I didn't craft enough, so the rest are still using Trident +1s

Ooof, an unlucky roll of the dice. The dart petrified him.

Cruelest cut's another one of those Golem TP moves, it's a reasonable damage TP move - nothing incredible, which is why it only did 70odd damage to a class 2 levels below it.

You'll see a "Staff up" icon above the Knight, that's a healing buff. It doesn't add much, but every little helps.

I can't tell what he's punching her with there, but it's funny regardless

Mooks are now rocking Guardian Force, so one shotting squishy Valkyries got a lot harder.

I mean, on the plus side, it does let us murder two people simultaneously so it's not all bad?

These fucks have not moved the entire map, and I cbf going after them

Oh yeah, well the archers can hit us now, as much good as it's going to do them

-----------//-----------

Queen, right there in front of you. Just sayin'

-----------//-----------

Poor Catiua gets loving one shot by the boss critting her in the back.

-----------//-----------

: Is it not you who betray Lodis?

: What?

: You meant to use Brynhildr to break the seal, princess or no!

: What is he talking about?

: This sword holds the power of the gods. No mortal seal can stand against it.

: Yet you had us scouring the islands for a woman long dead and an uncharitable princess.

: When the Almoricans find you, they'll do it for me.

: The day my mother and father, my brothers and sisters are avenged.

: Still you cling to the Nildahme royal house?

-----------//-----------

Next up: Brantyn.

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 28, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Who's Denam again? It can't be the boss of that first map since he's dead, and his name was Derain anyway.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

AweStriker posted:

Who's Denam again? It can't be the boss of that first map since he's dead, and his name was Derain anyway.

:ninja:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I really love how the bad guys get captured and their response is, "nah, we're leaving"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"They tied us up with bunny ears... "

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

I really love how the bad guys get captured and their response is, "nah, we're leaving"

They're smart enough to say "screw this, I'm out of here".

Lans T. always was pretty smart for a villain, at least besides the whole "didn't realize your team psychos would betray you bit".

Also, I think we missed another side quest for fusilers

Pretty sure it has to be done before the betrayal happens.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The only reason Lans T is so smart is because [insert Knight of Lodis spoilers here]

But man some of that banter is great. I always loved the "You appear to be embattled my lord!" line and Volaq's "Are you going to mock us to death?"

The developers of TO:LUCT really did a great job in making good bad guys.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

mauman posted:

They're smart enough to say "screw this, I'm out of here".

Lans T. always was pretty smart for a villain, at least besides the whole "didn't realize your team psychos would betray you bit".

Also, I think we missed another side quest for fusilers

Pretty sure it has to be done before the betrayal happens.

nah, that sidequest is still good to go.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
It's _possible_ he knew what would happen if you undo the seal.

Lodis Tribunal: Dark Knight Lans, did you open the seal?
Lans: Remember when I said I didn't want to because it would be like the Ark of the Covenant melting those Nazis in a world that has nothing to do with this one?
Lodis: Insubordination?! You'll be executed!
Lans: No, no, I was going to do it. But then my subordinates rebelled, they opened the Seal, and their heads got melted.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how we've been burning through leadership at such an accelerated rate that exactly two dudes flipping is enough to destabilize the Dark Knights.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Consider how fast information and reinforcements travel. We haven't seen anything like semaphore beacons or even carrier pigeons, so messages travel at the speed of messengers or maybe messenger relays.

And we have made a habit of smashing into their flank like a road train.

E: I wonder if the Order of Emptyquote qualifies as an outside context problem yet.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 29, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 62 - Brantyn

: The old coot Balxephon had it!

: We'd best not tarry.

: Then, to the Hanging Gardens, as discussed.

: What do you mean? ...What are you planning!?

: We're done taking orders from you!

Yeah, turns out that relying on a turncoat to bolster your forces is uh, not the best idea.

Levi.. bud..

-----------//-----------

Heim Great Hall

Condition(s): Kill Brantyn.

Green
Brantyn (Dark Bishop)
H. Terror Knight x6
H. Archer x2
H. Cleric
H. Fusilier x2
H. Witch x2

Hoo boy.

Brantyn's the real threat here. I'm not joking. The others hurt but Brantyn is a loving beast. He has the capacity to two shot any unit. Any.

So the big threat here is that he's going to do his one massive hit which is either going to completely destroy that unit or knock them down to gently caress all health, then your guy'll be finished off by any of the others.

-----------//-----------

: After all I did for you, Sherri...how could you side against me? You will die a traitor!

: I, a traitor? You turned on me long before I had the chance.

: You still think highly of yourself, I see.

: A keen eye for fault in anyone but yourself.

: You abandoned your faith, abandoned the Bakram - it is a wonder the Resistance will even have you.

: They trust me because I choose to trust. In my father, my sisters... myself. It is only the weak who cling to power.

: Few ever come to possess it. Those who do have a duty to use it justly.

: Such arrogance.... If only I had seen it sooner. I lost all I had for my error. I will not repeat it!

-----------//-----------

: Regent, put away your weapons.

: Can we not discuss truce? Surely there is benefit to be had by us both.

: A most convincing argument, your majesty.

: Your royal blood does much to conceal the mark the provinces have left on you.

: A decision reached with Lodis at your back, I should imagine.

: But look about you. I see no Knights Loslorien. You cannot win.

: Is it not a lord's duty to watch the curtain fall with grace?

You gotta hand it to Catiua, she's giving Brantyn every opportunity to surrender, and gracefully.

And Brantyn's loathing of the lower classes means he cannot accepta dignified surrender.

-----------//-----------

: Kneel to me, and together we will rule Valeria!

It's a bit loving rich for him to try and play the family card when it was his plotting that led to his own brother being tortured, poisoned and left to loving die.

: It is you who should kneel, Brantyn.

: Throw down your sword and rein in your troops, and your life will be spared.

: Resist, and we will show no mercy!

: It was they who brought this upon us, not I - Yes, I did their bidding...but I did it to save Valeria.

: When we lost King Dorgalua, we could no longer hold Lodis at bay - who could!? Had we fought to drive them back, they would have killed us all!

:If the people are so dear to you, why did you not inform the king that his daughter was alive?

: All Valeria would have welcomed the news after the prince's passing....

: Look at me and tell me you did not seek to use her - as you used my father!

Unfortunately for Brantyn, Levi's not the wayward youth he was once upon a time, easily controlled and misled. He could have ruled these isles, if that was what he wanted, it's not what he wanted. From the beginning, he's only ever wanted peace.

: I did what any lowborn man would do. When you lack a silver spoon, you fashion one of steel.

: You understand. You're like me.

: Where you carved out your destiny with a sword, I used my wits. But there's little difference, in the end.

There's a big disconnect between what Brantyn's saying here, and his responses to Catiua, until you take into consideration that Brantyn loathes Catiua, he doesn't believe she should inherit the throne.

It's why he never gave up the Regency of the isles, (hence L. Tartaros's earlier accusation) which was only ever meant to be temporary.

It's why he's trying to appeal to Levis sense of family camraderie which while a "good" play (in the sense that Levi will would go to hell and back for his family), is doomed to failure because Levi doesn't know Brantyn at all, excepting to know that Brantyn got his father killed, and tried to kill his sister and him - so he knows that Brantyns words are honeyed poison.

-----------//-----------

I mentioned in the Prologue to the fight that this was a difficult fight, but it's a fight that's got a single squishy roadblock both as its target and as the greatest threat.

-----------//-----------

here it comes

jesus loving christ

Catiua's still low level but she makes a good target for the enemy to go for. A lot of this fight is me using the XP leeches to res lowbies to continue being meatshields as a result. I'll be skipping those images because they're not interesting.

Just don't be surprised to see people going up and down like yoyos.

Also, she can cast Boon of Swiftness, so she's already better than that one rear end in a top hat from the start of the LP who I hate

Aww gently caress, here it comes again.

He's fast, he hits like a truck. Kinda want him on my team.

Shame he's an absolutely massive rear end in a top hat.

The enemy archers pepper us but the Fusiliers... don't..

I love the Bardiche. On top of the extended range, they just throw people back like crazy

Ok, time to start whittling him down

Oof, well, at least they don't hit as hard as their boss.

Seriously, can we have a non-evil version of him

Their back line crumples

Didn't think we'd see THIS for a while, that's the level 1 gun finishing move.

Or the uh, Staff finishing move

Or the book finishing move for that matter. Christ there's a lot of weapons in this game that I just never loving touch.

:toot:

You know, I really like the avatar for the generic Fusilier

-----------//-----------

: We must not bare our swords against them, even if they resist.

: The Dark Knights are our enemy, not the Bakram who follow them.

: Dispatch a messenger. Inform them of our intent. If we treat them like rebels, we will only push them away.

: It will be done, your majesty.

: Do likewise with the Resistance. It cannot appear we show favor.

: Any who act against my orders will meet punishment swift and fierce.

: As you say.

: From this day forward we are no longer Walister or Bakram. We are Valerian.

: The past must be forgotten. If any hatred still burns within you, shut it away.

: We must forge a new kingdom together.

Up next - The Hanging Garde-- guns.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would recommend showing the description of unique classes like that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I actually saved past that part already - I thought he had the same class as the Dark Priest, but nope he has Dark Bishop.

Can't find the description on google either.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

spoiler for tithin - Looking it up you only need one of the sisters to unlock their special class

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Though Brantyn's end is somewhat anti-climatic, at least this version of the battle makes a hell of lot more sense than the original where he's randomly flanked with ANGEL KNIGHTS for no explicable reason.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

spoiler for tithin - Looking it up you only need one of the sisters to unlock their special class

yup, the 2 4 with special unique characters you get in law is MORE than enough.

Incidentally, the 2 you get in Law are the best at it anyways. Go figure.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

At least he died doing what he loved, making what seems like big power moves but failing to accomplish anything.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dear thread, thank you for sticking with me for the last 9 months. I'm glad people still continue to enjoy this and my dumb sense of humor.

Happy hogmanay and may your 2018 be far nicer to you than 2017 was.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
2017 rules binch

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 63 - Fusiliers!
AKA PISTOLERO

But first, we are reintroduced to an old friend.

Tartaros.

: Lanselot?

: What...!?

: ...

: What's this? Lanselot's music box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDhUicWXfvk

Catiua flees the room in tears

The part of "Young Lady" will henceforth be played by "FusilierF" purely because I like the FusilierF portrait

: M'lady...? Do you know this man?

: ...

: I'm sorry. 'Twasn't right of me to pry.

: No worry. But I must ask -

: Wait, there's something you should see, m'lord.

-----------//-----------

So we're on our way to get guns. We have another filler fight between us and there, nothing in the way of story content in it.

Not gonna lie, it wasn't even remotely a roadbump, but it also wasn't substantially different to the most recent fight to feature 4 loving octopi.

I did beat the fight, but it was an ugly thing.

How ugly?

It looks worse than it is. I have a few XP leeches in there who crumple at the first sign of stiff opposition.

-----------//-----------

: You're a greater fool than I thought if you expect me to believe that!

Lindl will be played by the understudy "FusilierM" as he has absolutely no loving relevance to the story and I cannot work up the energy to carve him out his own image, it also fills his role well as a Fusilier

: Not fool enough to cross you, My Lord.

: I'd have to be, to go selling your cargo out from under you.

There are many reasons to dislike Martym, but the dude has a wicked sense of humour

: Yes, he was paid handsomely, but now he hides our own property from us!

: Philaha on high, have you no mercy in your benevolent heart for this poor, sinful lamb?

: I see...

: Great father, though I am but a rough thing, a cast-off from your design, this I do for you!

-----------//-----------

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Martym.

Red
Martym (Knight Commander)
Templar x13
Green (Ally)
Lindl (Fusilier)

So yeah, here's the thing - remember those "rescue X" missions where the person in question deep dives towards the enemys weakest unit and gets slaughtered?

Doesn't happen here because I loving demolished Martym as quickly as I could, because Lindl deep dives their lines and gets surrounded by enemies and I end it before he dies.

-----------//-----------

We have really strong positioning here, and if Lindl were even remotely willing to work with me, I'd just mop the map up before killing Martym

Lindl hits decently hard, as Fusiliers are want to do. They're like a mix between archers and crossbowmen

at least until you get "course correction" at which point they become loving ridiculous. That'll get covered in a later update.

Ravness is in a decent position to drop heals on Lindl

Our archers are in a prime position to unleash hell on our enemies

Nerraw narrowly misses out on a kill

I tried to shove him off with my shield and couldn't, gently caress it, hammer time

Mirdyn gets crit in the back by the Templar closest to us on the roof

Hobyrim is taking an utter kicking but it doesn't bother me in the slightest

some herbs and healing brings him out of the danger zone

just in time too.

Off Camera / Off Screenshot, Lindl moves closer to the enemy back lines and away from our support, so I decide to end it.

I just love that the projectiles just increase in size with each spell level. makes me think vulcan lance V is just going to be Nerraw casually chucking Valeria at a bad guy

-----------//-----------

: I am Lindl, of Balboede

: No need to thank.

: It is our duty to repel the Dark Knights from this land.

: What was Martym about, anyway? What did he want of you?

: Ah. Ever heard of a weapon known as a "fusil" ?

: Neither Valeria nor Xenobia, nor even Lodis possesses the means to make the fusils.

: They're all of them crafted in the land of Balboede -- My Homeland -- across the waters to the south.

: They were to fetch a fine price. But our cargo was lost when our galley foundered in a storm... gone beneath the waves.

: The Dark Knights lead the effort to retrieve the fusils.

: All that had been gathered up till this past seven-day had already gone to their keeping.

: But last night, bandits fell upon us and stole what we've gathered since.

: A fool's wrath. Killing me won't get back his fusils.

: Not that such trivium would stop a man like Martym.

: You see, Fusils are a different breed of weapon than your common sword or bow.

: It takes someone knowledgeable in the weapons workings to wield it: A Fusilier.
: Now I'm the only one who remains, and they're afraid I'll join the resistance.

-----------//-----------

So what happens next is in your hands.

On the one hand, we can go do the Apocrypha questline and unlock the side classes for Sherri et all, or we can move towards finishing the game.

Which happens in what order doesn't matter to me, because it's going to happen regardless, but the end of the story is in sight (well, sans CODA, but that's a story for another time).

the choice, dear readers, is yours

tithin fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 2, 2018

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

My vote goes to (and has gone to) Apocrypha. We need more power. We need the power to rend the world asunder. We're not getting that, but the Apocrypha will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just go beat the drat game. The final dungeon was a slog in the original and I can't imagine it's gotten any better in the remake.