Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I know nothing of Knights of Lodis, so feel free to elaborate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Tartaros gets cucked by Lucifer.

And screwed over by his best friend, who wanted to invade a tiny island to create a Theocratic kingdom all to himself.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

When I said Tartaros believes in the Sardian faction, I should have specified that I meant he appears to be legitimately loyal to Sardian.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Tallgeese posted:

When I said Tartaros believes in the Sardian faction, I should have specified that I meant he appears to be legitimately loyal to Sardian.

Ah, ok then. I agree with you then :downs:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

tithin posted:

I know nothing of Knights of Lodis, so feel free to elaborate.

Shiki Dan posted:

Tartaros gets cucked by Lucifer.

And screwed over by his best friend, who wanted to invade a tiny island to create a Theocratic kingdom all to himself.

Here go images from the VG museum. It should go without saying that this link is full of spoilers being literally the endings of Knight of Lodis. Click on this link if you feel like seeing the fates of characters who you have no idea about.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/gba/b/to.htm

EDIT: Below are all the images that would make sense to someone who played TO:LUCT that explain what happened to Lans before the events depicted in Let Us Cling Together. For context Elanor is Alphonse's love interest in this game.

Alphonse gets told that he'll be arrested and killed by an opposing faction if he stays on the island where KoL takes place, so he leaves to return to Lodis. When he arrives..

Several years later...

For context from the prologue of Let Us Cling Together...

Wonder who the priest could be....

Ooooooooooo

Knight of Lodis is really heavy.

Edited to provide actual screen shots of the ending instead of explaining it.

waah fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 7, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
re: KoL. I always like to imagine that Tartaros still has a snapped Lobelia sword lying around for when poo poo hits the fan with demons and angels all over again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ah so thats why tartaros is quite a badass
hes a former protagonist

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Endgame, Part Two.
Episode 72 - Descending to the depths of the Hanging Gardens

Martym and Barbas are just ahead.

Not far now..

Floor 19 - The Tomb Below
"The Tomb of King Dorgalua is a forbidden place, a giant cavern beneath the Hanging Gardens"

A cavalcade of undead await us.

And surround us.

They're stupid enough to filter onto one tile walkways

-----------//-----------

Floor 20 - Relics of the Past
"Ancient ruins buried deep below the Hanging Gardens"

: Patience, Martym. The seal is not what I expected...

: Look around you, Barbas. We're all that's left.

: I've had my fill of traps and seals!

: Be silent, or be silenced!

[A flash of red and a burst of noise draws his attention.]

: Andoras must have fallen.

: This is it! The words to break the seal!

: Be quick about it!

The last of the Dark Knights stand before us.

Well, not quite the last.

Stick your archers, stick your guns on the stairs.

Mow them down.

-----------//-----------

Floor 21 - Chamber of the Seal
"There is an ill feel to the air here in the deepest level of the caverns."

This feels like the right party.

: By that name most sacred, hear my plea.

: Gate divine, earthly prison of accurst gods.

: Throw wide your doors! The Great Father commands it!

: Persistent, aren't you?

: You seem bent on meddling in our plans.

: Lay down your weapons and -

: Save your breath, Levi.

: We both know that will never happen. You want to kill us. I see it in your eyes.

: Put down your words, and take up your sword.

[The ground trembles.]

: What's happening?

: What?

: You really don't know, do you?

: A man came to this place, long ago...

: What man was this?

: But there was one foe he could not conquer: Death.

: Misfortune took his beloved son, and soon after, his wife.

: In his despair, he prayed for their return.

: I need not tell you his prayers went unanswered.

Ah, this old chestnut.

: He descended in the hells where they make their fastness.

: The battle between men and ogres in the age of myths.

: Yes. The struggle that decided who would rule this earth. The gods of light sided with men, and the dark gods with the ogres.

: For eons the war raged...

: What is it to us?

: Do you know how the legend ends?

: Men were victorious, and the ogres retreated to the darkness.

: A tale every child has heard at his mother's skirts.

[The trembling increases.]

: What!?

: The man who journeyed into the abyss is your precious Dynast-King Dorgalua!

: The darkness awaits.... And all the power it holds!

-----------//-----------

It all comes down to this - 5 v 2.

Doesn't matter how strong they are, the action economy disfavours them.

-----------//-----------

Martym's fast, he's strong and he's got elemental weapons.

But Levi's been a Knight his whole life.

Martym's no slouch offensively, he's got offensive stats higher - or at least, on par with - than the elemental guardians

The pair of them bunch up, giving Catiua a lovely target.

I'm trying to keep their HP about level, so we can see everything the story has to offer.

-----------//-----------

: If what you say is true, why is it King Dorgalua never returned?

: The gate was made to prevent darkness from entering our world.

: It's barred from this side. It cannot be opened from within.

: Dorgalua left his most trusted man to prepare for his return, but this gate keeper was easily slain.

This entire war has been a blatant power grab by Lodis.

-----------//-----------

: The traitor speaks, when she would do better to flee!

: When we lead you back to Lodis in chains, it will not go easy for you.

: It's you who've betrayed the Empire! I cam come to restore Loslorien - to turn it from the treacherous path Balxephon embarked upon.

: But you...you have eyes only for wealth and power!

: Aren't you forgetting something?

: It was the high commander who sought to conceal Dorgalua's legacy.

: We seek only to claim the treasure of the Chaos Gate for the glory of Lodis!

: The lie falls easily from your lips, but I will not believe it.

: The Dark Knights ought never have allowed your filth to sully their ranks!

-----------//-----------

Our party continues to punish the wayward Losloriens.

: Ah, Princess Versalia. You grace us with your presence.

: If you did not need me to break the seal, why go to such lengths to win me to your side?

: The high champion must have known the sword was all we needed. He meant to use you to rule these pathetic isles.

: A waste, when Lodissian steel would serve.

: Small wonder Lord Tartaros would not keep counsel with you. You are too foolish to see his true purpose.

: You may rule people with the sword, but you will never win their hearts.

: Lord Tartaros understood this.

: It was not by might alone that you rebelled in Lodis.

: You rallied under the banner of overthrowing a corrupt senate and installed the just High Priest Sardian in its place.

: Brynhildr's mysteries are wasted on the likes of you.

: Had it been up to you, no doubt you would have killed me and gone on ruling through brute force.

: Lord Tartaros sought a better way!

: We're to believe that we were no more than pieces being moved by some unseen hand?

They don't like their stupidity pointed out to them.

-----------//-----------

Not sufficient to kill.

There's mildly different responses depending on which dies first.

-----------//-----------

Martym dies first

-----------//-----------

Barbas dies first

-----------//-----------

Fittingly, Ozma is the one to cut Martym down.

-----------//-----------

Where once shone the light, darkness radiates.

a wraith, of sorts.

No Wraith this, an Ogre re-born.

-----------//-----------

On the next episode - Dorgalua, reborn.

tithin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 9, 2018

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So you did good in picking that party. One thing that you didn't show in this battle is that both Martym and Barbas have some absurd levels of parry that make melee attacks against them tough.

If you go in with an all melee party your first time or two through the game, you're gonna have a bad time despite it being 5v2.

They also drop their special weapons Nifrit Sword (1h water elemental sword) and Sanscion (2h earth hammer) at level 35+ (Maybe it's level 33, somewhere in there).

There are a lot of different dialogue items with that battle, it's kinda impressive how many different interactions there are with those dark knights.

We're at the very end lady goons and dude goons. Lets congratulate Tithin for completing this thing.

Edit: Also, seeing the last few updates make me realize how much prettier this game is with your emulator effects turned on.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The original game was ridiculous with these two. There wasn't any limit on people like with this one, nope, you could still bring the standard ten man party. And they didn't have any inflated stats to make up for it either, it was just taking down your average boss enemies.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's fitting.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Barbas wasn't implying that it was Lodis who killed the gatekeeper. He said someone did it in order to claim the throne. Who do we know who claimed the throne?

Brantyn killed the gatekeeper.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tallgeese posted:

Barbas wasn't implying that it was Lodis who killed the gatekeeper. He said someone did it in order to claim the throne. Who do we know who claimed the throne?

Brantyn killed the gatekeeper.

Yeah - I never said that Lodis killed him, - but they knew about the Chaos gate from Brantyn, and exploited his greed to get its power.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's hard to say if Brantyn knew about the Chaos Gate, because he dreamed he was down in the area before the seal and did not recognize it.

This part is a bit strange, admittedly.

Tartaros didn't actually want the power of the Chaos Gate (probably because he knows it is a really bad idea to open it) - Martym's not lying about that part.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well yes, he didn't recognize the inside of the seal, which is where the dream took place. He likely knew about the Chaos Gate in general.

But surely the entire point of Lodis's invasion was to seize the power of the gate? It's been hammered in from the start that Lodis has been scouring the island for Catiua, both to rule the isles, and as the key to the seal.

I understand that there's different motivations here, re Tartaros and Lodis, give Tartaros's previous experience with such gates

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I seem to remember the dream occurring in the spot Barbas spoke the incantation to open the current area. Is this incorrect?

The problem with the Catiua thing is the fact they never needed her to open the seal, they had Brynnhildr. If Lodis' whole goal was to open the gate, they had no reason to wait.

And that is why this twist is very silly.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 9, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tallgeese posted:

I seem to remember the dream occurring in the spot Barbas spoke the incantation to open the current area. Is this incorrect?

The problem with the Catiua thing is the fact they never needed her to open the seal, they had Brynnhildr. If Lodis' whole goal was to open the gate, they had no reason to wait.

And that is why this twist is very silly.

I can't find the update where the dream happened right now but from memory it happened on the map we're in just now, at a different angle (it ran diagonally from southwest to northeast) with Brantyn in the centre at the seal, and Dorgalua standing in fog at the top north east of the map.

My suspicion is that Lodis wanted Catiua as monarch (to continue ruling the isles on behalf of Lodis) and the blade as the key to the seal to harness the power of the Ogres, it was all an orchestrated power play to snatch two goals at once.

When we freed Catiua they realised they were running out of both men, and time to obtain any sort of goal. Tartaros didn't want to open the seal at all, so allowed the power play from Martym and Barbas to occur so that he could be nowhere loving near it when the seal was opened.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I normally don't like it much when political/character drama turns toward the supernatural, but the fact that King Dorgalua, admired and drat near worshipped by everyone, basically made a deal with Satan is kind of a nice twist.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The whole point of Catiua is that if she rules as a puppet for the Dark knights, the public doesn't rebel nearly as much as if the Dark Knights just take over.

She adds legitamcy to a very hostile take over.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I normally don't like it much when political/character drama turns toward the supernatural, but the fact that King Dorgalua, admired and drat near worshipped by everyone, basically made a deal with Satan is kind of a nice twist.

It goes along well with the FFT comparisons and Matsuno's influence. The Lucavi were well connected on every level of society but didn't matter one bit in the story of the Lion War to the point that their connection with Ajora's legend was just coincidental when there was a whole other scheme from the church to take over Ivalice that had nothing to do with each other, yet this demon here is all the political backstabbing and filth brushed under the rug and rationalized as a saint, finally exposed for what it really is.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I think I got lost somewhere (again).

Tartaros knows about the battle between Light and Dark. Does Tartaros not have enough clout to get Lodis to not open the Gate? Why does Lodis think they can control the Ogres? Is it the usual hubris of "I can totally make a deal with the devil(s) and get them to do what I want"?

Or is it that Lodis wanted to secure the location of the Gate because they knew how bad it was, and then Barbas & Martym screw things up by deciding to open the gate (again, thinking they can control it)?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

We know from Tartaros's personal history, that he did not want to open the gates, but he came anyway because Lodis demanded it.

We know they went there with a key to open the gates and with plans to install Catiua as a puppet monarch, so we can reliably conclude they went there to open the gates - but after that, who knows?

Maybe Lodis wanted to launch a religious crusade using the suddenly reawakened power of the ogres as a rallying cry in order to expand their territory - maybe they wanted to infuse someone with the power of the ogres and conquer the world.

I'm not sure it's something we can reliably conclude - without an idea of what's going on in Lodis we're left only with Tartaros as a judge to Lodis's aims.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

I can't find the update where the dream happened right now but from memory it happened on the map we're in just now, at a different angle (it ran diagonally from southwest to northeast) with Brantyn in the centre at the seal, and Dorgalua standing in fog at the top north east of the map.

My suspicion is that Lodis wanted Catiua as monarch (to continue ruling the isles on behalf of Lodis) and the blade as the key to the seal to harness the power of the Ogres, it was all an orchestrated power play to snatch two goals at once.

When we freed Catiua they realised they were running out of both men, and time to obtain any sort of goal. Tartaros didn't want to open the seal at all, so allowed the power play from Martym and Barbas to occur so that he could be nowhere loving near it when the seal was opened.

This actually. It's hinted in the game that Lans is hesitant to break the seal because he's aware it might not be a good idea.

At the very least, if he was aware of WHO was in the gate, then he probably figured it might be a good idea to have somebody Dorgula might care about lying around so that maybe Dorgula wouldn't kill them all.

And why open the gate at all and take such a monster risk (just keep the key somewhere safe and in your control) if you can get the island legitimately?

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 10, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

JustJeff88 posted:

Well, I mean, we've been throwing fireballs and gouts of acid all over the dang place already, it's not like the supernatural's a surprise.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Glazius posted:

Well, I mean, we've been throwing fireballs and gouts of acid all over the dang place already, it's not like the supernatural's a surprise.

Maybe it is because I only played the game once and it was the only game in the franchise I have played, but the magic of the game and the politics of the game felt completely seperate until the seal was mentioned. Even the monsters that look like humanoid or possibly intelligent don't have any roles in the story. Is there any word on Fairy's or lizardmen being plot relevant in other games?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lobster22221 posted:

Maybe it is because I only played the game once and it was the only game in the franchise I have played, but the magic of the game and the politics of the game felt completely seperate until the seal was mentioned. Even the monsters that look like humanoid or possibly intelligent don't have any roles in the story. Is there any word on Fairy's or lizardmen being plot relevant in other games?

Mermaids at least are important in Ogre Battle and Knight of Lodis. Angels and Devils are also plot important in certain Ogre Battle stages. I think there was a semi-relevant Fairy in Knight of Lodis as well, but KoL is post-Matsuno so it doesn't necessarily fit with the LuCT/OB thematics, and I might be misremembering how important she was.

Otherwise Lizards and Fairies are just mooks. I don't think they have a described homeland, or much of a place in human society, whereas birdmen and humans get along fine.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Mermaids at least are important in Ogre Battle and Knight of Lodis. Angels and Devils are also plot important in certain Ogre Battle stages. I think there was a semi-relevant Fairy in Knight of Lodis as well, but KoL is post-Matsuno so it doesn't necessarily fit with the LuCT/OB thematics, and I might be misremembering how important she was.

Otherwise Lizards and Fairies are just mooks. I don't think they have a described homeland, or much of a place in human society, whereas birdmen and humans get along fine.

I did not even know mermaids were even in the universe, interesting to know. Angels and Devils makes sense given the recent discussion. I had forgotten about birdmen, who definitely seem more integrated into faction armies. I even forgot Canopus.

I'll probably look up more information about the plots of the games. Thanks for the info.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's less about whether supernatural elements exist in the story than about whether they're driving the story as opposed to regular-rear end politics. This game seems to do a lot better at integrating politics and supernatural stuff than FFT though for sure.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

It's less about whether supernatural elements exist in the story than about whether they're driving the story as opposed to regular-rear end politics. This game seems to do a lot better at integrating politics and supernatural stuff than FFT though for sure.

Oh God yes...

That really annoyed me about FFT.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Endgame Part Three - Dorgalua, Ogre King

Here's Brynhildr's stats.

You're not high enough level to use it, but it takes Lombardia's stats and shits all over them.

Worthwhile to give it to either someone like Ravness, or Lord Levi.

-----------//-----------

Here it is folks.

[Dorgalua extends his fist and crushes it]

-----------//-----------

Enemy Composition

Your own party

Good luck!

-----------//-----------

It's literally your party. Exact clones, down to skills, equipment, you name it. Exactly the same.

Naturally, this means we know our targets.

Sure, the Target is Dorgalua, but where's the fun in that?

That was a counter

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

Bring a large supply of res stones.

Or don't - I'm not your dad.

That's also a counter.

Bringing strong units helps, but it's absolutely a double edged sword.

Dunno why their basic heals are better than mine, they're not under the effect of that heal buff.

This is a knock down drag out fight - the only thing in our favour is the enemy preference to target weaker opponents, and our ability to res them.

Enemy Arycelle is down.

The enemy Nerraw gets off a loving crippling petrifog, and lands all 4.

The enemy Ozma takes our Voltare down in a single flurry of blows.

Where ours has subbed out beast / dragonslayer (because we don't need it) for Negate (magic immunity) and Mighty Blow for the damage consistency, so is using that to knock enemy Levi around.

Our Levi sharpshoots and finishes off enemy Voltare.

The enemy is pushing our shattered front line and starts beating on Catiua.

And their Levi annihilates our Sherri.

To buy ourselves sandbagging time, our Nerraw drops a succesful petrifog on E. Jeunan and Ozma.

We un-stone Arycelle and finally finish off E. Nerraw.

Ravness and E. Ravness face off and block each others attacks.

Unfortunately you can't farm loot off your clones. They only drop cards.

Both sides sandbag. Ravness moves to rez up Voltare, while the enemy healers heal up E. Levi.

Dorgalua finally enters the fray. He's been hovering around the edge trying to shackle people but missing.

Dark Lord: A fallen Dynast-King now corrupted by the Dark. More divine than human, the Dark Lord has forgotten much of his human life, and now only bears hatred and envy for the living.

Ogre Blade: A two-handed sword thought to be forged by an ogre of the abyss. Shadows seem to gather around it

Not sure what bodysnatch does (asides the obvious), but I'm also not sure I want to know.

E. Ravness gets finished off by Levi's guntoting abilities.

Arycelle finally gets to contribute, and she uses flaming blast - the tier 3 / level 6 skill bow finisher.

It hits hard and it charms.

Which is immediately useful when E. Levi turns around and one shots E. HEALBOT.

Unfortunately it only ever lasts a single round, but what a use.

Meanwhile the useful HEALBOT gets unstoned thanks to Catiua, who then immediately unstones Jeunan, who then immediately skewers E. Jeunan & E. Ozma.

E. Levi gets a bit of a heal, while E. Sherri finishes off Voltare. Again.

E. Sherri's picked off her last low health Voltare :colbert:

Meanwhile Dorgalua goes for the low hanging fruit.

Voltare and Sherri get pulled back to their feet. E. Ozma unstones (naturally) and knocks Voltare back down.

HEALBOT bursts out a boosted major heal on Jeunan, Sherri and Arycelle.

E. Olivya heals herself up a bit..

We're almost done now.

Jeunan skewers E. Olivya and Ozma, undoing her heal and knocking her away from Ozma.

E. Olivya succumbs

E. Catiua gets maimed.

E. Ozma is slain.

Dorgalua, meanwhile..

E. Jeunan finishes off Sherri again.

Jeunan kills his own doppelganger.

Ugh

E. Levi returns to the dark.

E. Catiua follows her brother.

With our doppelgangers gone, it's time to get everyone back on their feet and finish this.

Olivya finishes off Dorgalua.

-----------//-----------

Dorgalua is gripped and engulfed in the ray of red light. When it fades, he has been re-reborn.

-----------//-----------

Welcome to Phase 2.

It's really easy, if you know what the trick is.

Dorgalua's description hasn't changed. He loses his equipment, so his base stats get a shuffle, he gets a massive buff to health.

Hmm, lets check the second half of the page.

Three 100 TP moves. Youch.

Umbra: A long-range ability that invokes a malediction in an ancient tongue that deals CRUSHING DARK damage to MULTIPLE TARGETS with malevolent whispers. Has a chance to inflict spoilheal.

Exhalation: A long-range ability that invokes a malediction in an ancient tongue that deals CRUSHING damage to MULTIPLE TARGETS and drains their MP by corrupting the fabric of reality.

Radius: A long-range ability that invokes a malediction in an ancient tongue that deals PIERCING LIGHT damage to MULTIPLE TARGETS with a radiant burst of divine light. Has a chance to ENFEEBLE.

So the trick to fighting him, is to deny him TP. He has slow mana regen, so won't get much of a chance to cast spells, and if you hit him with non physical abilities (See: Finishing moves and spells) those do not give him TP.

You give him TP, and he is going to annihilate you.

You're not going to need much in the way of healing. He does ~70-90 damage per melee hit on even your weakest characters - his danger is those TP abilities which does substantially more damage, to substantially more characters.

The spritework here is really nice, as an aside.

Your party comes into this in the exact state they were when you killed Dorgalua in Phase 1. Anyone downed is around the circle, but they're still down. Stockpile TP in phase 1 for phase 2.

Spiral Scourge is the Level 8 spear finisher skill. It's a triple normal attack, non elemental.

Catiua busts out a Spiritsurge 3 scroll to finish off her own father.

How fitting.

A fallen king, falling to pieces

Falling back into the abyssal gate.

-----------//-----------

The gate is NOT happy it's been denied.

If it can't let loose a horde of horrors on the world, it's going to pull you in.

A wave of teleportations strike your party.

All except Levi.

Levi is likewise teleported away.

Warren succumbs.

-----------//-----------

Next up: Epilogue.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wow, I didn't realize how completely different that fight is from the original version. There Dorgalua started out by himself and summoned in new enemies (dark golems, hydras, that kind of thing) potentially forever. No doppelgangers, no second form.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

This fight is a nightmare if you are going for the no ko/no incap title. I don't recommend doing it unless you dislike yourself and fun.

The body snatch ability on the ogre blade is a super late game trick.

Basileus777 - some random dude from Gamefaqs posted:

You can swap classes and races with enemy, but keep your skills. So if you wanted to give Canopus skills he couldn't normally learn, you could learn the skills you want to scavenge, swap bodies with a hawkman, and then scavenge that character.

It basically allows you to min/max even more. But the catch is that the Ogre Blade only drops at the end of the Palace of the dead in Coda 2 and its a royal pain to get.

Brynhidlr is a great sword and with one of the special classes that is a pain to get (are we noticing a trend here) it stays useful and powerful all the way through the post game.

Edit: Also you gotta show off the radius and Umbra spells. Dorgula's second form is the only place in the game where it they show up afaik.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know this isn't deliberate but man if you had to pick a four digit XP total for a big bad you basically couldn't do better

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

god drat what is it with this thread and facsists?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, poo poo. I guess if you're saving your power for something that would have to be it.

But don't we have, like, a sword to seal that poo poo away?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

Well, poo poo. I guess if you're saving your power for something that would have to be it.

But don't we have, like, a sword to seal that poo poo away?

Eh, Warren will be fine :downs:

Seyser Koze posted:

Wow, I didn't realize how completely different that fight is from the original version. There Dorgalua started out by himself and summoned in new enemies (dark golems, hydras, that kind of thing) potentially forever. No doppelgangers, no second form.

Indeed, they really amped up the coolness of the boss fight for the remake. Also, this fight is a major pain if you're over leveled and over-geared.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

Eh, Warren will be fine :downs:

Indeed, they really amped up the coolness of the boss fight for the remake. Also, this fight is a major pain if you're over leveled and over-geared.

I was having difficulties with the mirror match so I just sent in my five best characters who of course proved to be more then a match for the final boss.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Endgame, Part Four - Epilogues
Catiua
Heim Castle

: No, we must remember why this war began, what we lost because of it, and what we achieved.

: We must tell this to our children, that we never forget.

-----------//-----------

Flashback to Golyat

: I know how you must feel, but what of my feelings? I don't want to lose you.

: Our father is dead - a hard truth, but a truth all the same.

: In all the world, you are the only one bound to me by blood, brother.

: I couldn't bear to let you die.

: Forgive me. I know my words will not sway you. Only promise me....

-----------//-----------

Flashback to Phidoch

: I'm sorry, Levi.

: How could I have been so selfish?

: Can you forgive me?

: That's behind us now. The important thing is that we'll never be apart again.

-----------//-----------

: We must sever present from past.

: For our future, for our children, repent for our past and dedicate ourselves to reform.

: Not only can we do this, we must.

: Let us build a future in Valeria, a future where we all live as one.

: A future of peace.

: Thank you, Levi.

----------------------//----------------------

Vyce

-----------//-----------

Flashback to Rhime

: And you, the Duke's loyal, scarce equipped to march, let alone repel them!

: If the Bakram expect us to lie down for the trampling, they're in for a nasty turn!

: What, you have a plan? No matter, I'll see soon enough.

: But there's little time. If you've some miracle on hand to rally the Resistance, best work it quickly.

-----------//-----------

Flashback to Almorica

: You did what you thought best.

: If I were a greater fool, I might have done the same.

: End this war, Levi.

: You owe the people of Balmamusa that much.

: Let that be your atonement.

: No, sister. He has every right.

: Farewell, Levi.

: And you, Vyce.

-----------//-----------

Olivya

Flashback to like, 5 god drat minutes prior, like seriously she's flashbacking to when she was at the top of the stairs when she's just walked down them holy poo poo

: I understand how you must feel. You have done much.

: All that was required of you, and of your sisters as well.

: But your labors are done on the morn. Let me shoulder your burden.

: You can... you can do as you like, for once.

: Live your own life, Olivya.

: Father...

:Do not be concerned on my account. All will be well. Go with him, Olivya.

Levi

-----------//-----------

Flashback to Brigantys

: You are the only one who can.

: You can lead her to her rightful destiny....

: Do this for us...for Valer- *cough*

: Father!

: You must look with clear eyes, Levi! Make the right choice!

: Lead us along the true path...make our way....

: Do this...only this...

: You mustn't talk. You must rest!

-----------//-----------

: You'll do fine.... You hardly need my help.

: Your coronation should be taking place in Heim about now.

: ...Monarch of Valeria in the name of truth.

The Xenobians return

: My sister isn't the only one who's gone her own way since the war's end.

: No, we never would have prevailed without your help, Canopus.

: Heh heh. That's good to hear. I'm sure Lanselot and old Warren would be happy to hear it.

: ...If they were still with us.

: ...

: Don't you worry about it, Levi. It's not your fault they're gone.

: We came to this isle of our own will, you know.

: We were here on royal duty, after all.

: We were here to fight alongside you.

: But...I should imagine you're right. They're out there, somewhere.

: Farewell, Levi. I look forward to seeing you again one of these days.

: So long, sprout! Our best to the queen!

: But, Canopus! If Lanselot should return...

: It's all right, Levi. It's all right.

: When things settle down here, you should come to Xenobia.

: We'll be waiting for you. Come see the place Lanselot was born....

: The place he gave his life for. Promise me you'll come!

: I will.

: Ach, no looks from you now. Time to be a man, boy. That's right. Give a grin.

: Things aren't always as bleak as they seem.

: Heh heh. Now where've I heard that before?

Ravness

: Canopus.

: I hear you're to be the new castellan at Coritanae. Quite an honor.

: And well deserved, I might add.

: Too much honor for a common knight - and with mixed blood besides.

: I feared it would invite trouble. But if I can set an example for others to follow, then I will bear it.

: Always thinking of others, you. Catiua herself might even take heart.

: How many people will judge her for her blood and not her deeds?

: She'll do well enough. She's tougher than she looks.

: Right you are, Canopus.

: During the war, there were many who turned away from me because of my blood. But also as many who saw past that.

: The only important question is who we choose to become.

: Valeria is lucky to have you and Catiua both.

: I will serve her as best I can.

: You're like to wear yourself out, always charging in at the head of the van.

: Besides...

: Besides, what...?

: You've your whole life ahead of you.

: Stop and enjoy it, eh? There'll be plenty of time to make Valeria the kingdom it should be.

~~note that while we met the requirements for the Hobyrim / Ozma & Donnalto epilogue, it did not trigger.

So I do not have screenshots. I am not one to deny you all though, so have included the conversations as they should be there.

Donnalto
The part of Donnalto continues to be played by his understudy, ClericM

: You're leaving with these children for Almorica then.

: They were born of Walister parents.

: The war may be over, but many still harbor doubts about the other clans. I think it best that these orphans were somewhere other than Heim.

: The people must put aside such foolish fears.

: And they will. You'll see to that, I've no doubt. But these changes can't happen overnight.

: The Great Father might leap from mountain to mountain, but we move one step at a time.

: Will the Great Father lift the scales from their eyes?

: No good hoping for miracles; they're an illusion, however sweet.

: The change we seek is born one day at a time.

: Any who can't be thankful for the days they have are unworthy of miracles.

: Take these children. The war claimed their parents, but not their future.

: They have hope. It's you who gave them that, Levi.

: I have no doubt the seed you've sown will bloom and bear fruit.

: I, for one, look forward to that day.

: As do I.

Hobyrim & Ozma

: So you'll be returning to Lodis then.

: Lanselot and Balxephon escaped.

: I'll chase them to the ends of the earth, should it come to that.

: I know quite well the dangers of returning to Lodis.

: Yet, with such a partner, I am not concerned for our safety.

: I'll do nothing foolish. I will sit back and wait until the time is right. But before I go...

: Yes?

: I wanted to tell you how glad I was to meet you.

: To accomplish so much at your side.

: I couldn't have chosen a better ally.

: I had forgotten what it was to dream. I allowed revenge to consume my life.

: ...

: My time with you changed all that.

: With our first victory, it was as though a blackness lifted from my heart. I'll never forget the joy I felt at that.

: Nor will I. Being reunited with Hobyrim, fighting at your side....

: It reminded me what it was to fight with purpose. That we can stand against tyranny.

: There's a sweetness to it I hope to taste again.

: So I will move with caution, that I may make it so. And I promise, someday we will meet again.

: Fortune favor you both.

: May she favor us all.

Present day

: There's a journey I must make before Lodis returns.

: I want to see Lanselot's homeland. The kingdom he gave his life for...

Flashback, to Golyat, at last

Flash... forward...? to later, in Golyat

: They had already begun their advance, and we fled - vagrants in our own land.

: My wife fell ill, and before I knew it...she was gone.

: I considered following her into death.

: My thoughts often strayed down that path before battle.

: But her music box still sang of life, and I knew it was not my time.

: My burden had not yet reached its end.

: I'm sorry.

-----------//-----------

: Don't worry over me, father. I'll be back...

Skip to the loving end

-----------//-----------

:smith:

You get a new save icon for finishing a route.

:yay:

The real Tactics Ogre starts here.

Next up: I have no idea at all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I guess things did turn out alright in the end. :unsmith:

You have a ":D" in there at the beginning of someone's dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So who are those getting on the sip at the end?