Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

If waah wants to start a new thread, he can - not sure I see the need personally, but that's up to him. I'm happy to update the threads index and stuff with his updates as I would have my own.

Can't tell if this is a burn or not

Not in the slightest, I swear. Everyone has their own way of telling a story; I just want to save your work. I would have burned out on this right around the time that Canopus joined, but had I actually finished the main story then my interpretation and presentation style would have been substantially different from yours. I'm an academic, so it would have been long-winded and full of little-known words that only a pompous jackass like me would use. waah will do his bit in his own way and certainly do a better job and last longer than I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
While the pre-Coda ending is dependent on which path you took, Post-Coda (Canopus gets dunked on) is not.

That means you can get the good ending with a living Catia and Vyce even if you killed them.

GOD I would love to see them reacting to witnesses The World System.

Lawful!Vyce: ....am I THAT much of an contrary rear end in a top hat that I just pick whatever the opposite choice you make?
Denam: :shrugs:
Lawful!Vyce: And you've just listened quietly to me judging you like an rear end in a top hat when I was SCUM in that other timeline?
Denam: :shrugs:
Lawful!Vyce: ...did you help kill off that village to save my life?!
Denam: Ravness too. And a few others.

Cressida: Are we related?
Oelias: I have no idea.

Ozma: You all are overthinking this. See this whip? I lost it when I joined you guys. So we killed me for it. Do you see me letting this bother me?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Unless we get a few more votes in the next few days it looks like we are going to finish the Coda with an update later this week or maybe early next week. Depends on when I get time to format it all.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD Episode 2: A Sea Witch’s Final Song

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the Tactics Ogre release on PSX. I wanted to try to rush this out for then, but it wasn’t to be. So pay your respects to the fact that 20 years ago was the first chance that non-Japanese literate Americans had to play this game that we all have grown to love and hate.

When we last saw our heroes in action there were in pursuit of Iuria, Canopus’s sister.
But before we go too far, lets rewind a little bit.

What if we didn’t attempt to de-escalate the fight in Port Omish?
When you select, they started it here

: Are you daft, don’t encourage them!
: They keep pouring in
: Let’s be done with this so I can find Iuria

: One step forward, two back…

Canopus gets dunked on in the Coda count: 1

: A feather jape and you mock my sister? You’re asking for it.
: Stop this! As if having pirates trying to kill us wasn’t enough…

We return to beat up helpless pirates for a bit. The interesting thing about this battle is that it is one of the only battles I can think of in game where the enemy does not scale with your level. As we are are currently upper 40s, we could probably destroy the whole map with these three characters and not ever be in trouble.
However, the game cuts our genocide short.

: I don’t like the idea of running but there’s no talking to them now. Maybe it’s better if I left and gave them time to cool their heads. Canopus! Gildas! We should withdraw
: They do out number us… what do you say, brother?
: You’re no brother of mine and you never were

The battle ends there.

Back to the where we left off, the next map we come across in the Pirate’s Graveyard is a story battle. We see Iuria playing a song for some undead creatures.

When her song finishes Canopus calls out to her from offscreen.
: Iuria!

: Who are you, and what have you done to my sister?

: Hmm. Perhaps this body resists me.
: Hold, fiend!
: Let’s deal with these wraiths first, Canopus

This is our map. Nothing too crazy here. The area above the Ozma is the high ground for this map. In non-story battles, your party starts to the right and up of the pointer on screen, and the map is more of a slog. In this instance the biggest worry you might have are the wraiths, who cast annoying magics as usual, and the octopi who you still have to be wary of because this map still has a few water tiles.

Otherwise there is little of note on this map. However, previously we talked about Vainateya’s Talons, a weapon that you obtain from the Wind Shrine guardian that is a level 40 fist weapon. I just want to show you why it’s so good. Don Quixote here is going to use it on this poor skeleton named Katherine with his very first action in the battle. Don’t feel bad, fellow Atlus game vets know that the best Catherines begin with a C.

Yes, that’s a level 2 summons that will inflict 5-7 hits at that power. With planning and a decent augment air level, there’s not much that save beasts and Baldur Golems that the Vainateya Talons won’t one shot.

Yup, it’s still going.

Anyways these poor mooks don’t stand a chance and we wipe the floor with them.

Our next battle is a non-story fight on this map called Midline Rift.

There’s nothing special about this fight but let’s look at the descriptions for some of the monsters. I don’t remember which ones Tithin covered before so I’m just gonna hit them all again as we see them.

Dagon:

Sounds cooler than it is. These guys have really high resistance and are a pain to kill. As you can see in the next screen shot, the Talons aren’t nearly as good against a monster with 160+ RES.

Blood Gavial:

:black101:
These are your upgraded lizardmen who would normally be Juggernauts. The Juggernaut is a very good class that suffers from the fact that there aren’t any unique lizardmen.

Banshee:

The Banshee can gently caress right off. It does not matter how many times you’ve beaten this game, or how powerful you are, this is one of the top 5 most dangerous enemies in the game. The reason being is that she can bewitch your characters. Bewitched is charm on steroids. It not only makes your character/or unit fight against you it PERMANENTLY lowers the loyalty of the affected unit. The amount lowered is a point or two, but it grows the longer you leave bewitched uncured, and again the loyalty is not restored when the battle is over. You can cure bewitched very easi… NO, NO YOU CAN’T! Because the game hates you, the “easiest” way to cure bewitched is to use the spell ease. But ease only cures one debuff at random, so if you have say poison and bewitched, you might get poison cured before your own guy comes back to stab you in the face. You can cast Awaken II, but that’s a rare drop from the 16th floor of San Bronsa ruins that only a few classes can use. Or you can craft a Zoila Draught +1, but you have to go through the crafting system. Not fun.

We kill everything and move on. :toot:

While I was not intending on getting it, the Blood Gavial on this map can drop the body armor enchiridion. It is one of the most important items in all of the Pirate’s graveyard as it allows you to craft elemental robes for your magic users. They are really good and it’s worth slogging through the craft system (or cheating) for them.

Our next map: Into the Darkness

The next map is annoying and it helps to have a lot of flying units or unit that can negate terrain.
Side note: bringing Iuria into fight herself does not provide any hilarious dialogue.

: Denizens of the abyss! From the ink of blackest night, I summon you! Darkness to me!
And thus, Sirene begins summoning dudes to fight for her.

She summons a whole boatload of dudes in a really long sequence which tells you how long of a fight you are in for.

Then she pops a puff of black smoke and changes her appearance slightly. She also gains her Goku super Saiyan aura.

The goal here is to vanquish Sirene. You’ve got really crappy terrain and a limited approach on the way in. To make matters worse, there a whole heckuva lot of dudes you got to fight through to get to her. And if you’ve been paying attention to Tactics Ogre and to what the summon darkness spell means…

Anyways, here’s a look at Sirene:

Sirene is a member of the Songstress class. It is a utility class that suffers like the other classes you get at this point. It’s hard to find a real niche or need for it. In addition, you can just buy songstress spells that any character can use and still get the same effect. But back to the action:
: If Iuria is lost…

: Or was it me inside her? It matters not. If she died, this body would decay, and I can’t have that, can I? I’ll take very, very good care of her.
: That’s a relief of sort…

So how exactly does that solve the problem of us not harming or killing Iuria? I mean we are about to put a bunch of arrows throw her and I’m pretty sure Hobyrym is about to slice the crap out of her, but when the game tells you not to worry about the details, you don’t worry about the details.

: We need to put this wicce down and get Iuria out of there

Wicce… wicce… who is is a Wicce…. ooooooooo

So this the reason why I wanted to remind you all of the scene with Deneb before this fight (other than it being :3:) Wicce in this universe are notorious for hopping bodies, and probably fall between a true neutral and chaotic neutral on a traditional D&D alignment chart. Sadly, Deneb doesn’t get her own Goku aura, but it should help to remind you that Deneb is equal parts amazing and equal parts terrifying.

: I’ve not felt such a fit ever before. And my voice… enchanting

Okay Canopus, that was a pretty good one. :respek:
: You’re not good enough for her, fact is. You sing of death, but she sings of life, and joy, and warmth! Everything you’re not. Let her go!

We finally get to start fighting, and the battle starts as you would expect.

Pretty much for the rest of the LP, assume the nearest enemy to the party is getting nuked before they move. This surely won’t come back to bite me in the rear end at any point. Nope.

Many turns pass as we slowly whittle Sirene’s forces down. But, remember how I talked about paying attention to what happens when a character uses summon darkness in a cutscene in Tactics Ogre

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

But Sirene lands in a dumb spot to cast Somber Chacarera on my two beasts to give them misstep.

I guess you could say that was a… misstep on her part.

And poetically, Canopus applies the final blow to save his sister.

Wait, Canopus, dude NO OVERKILL. NO. OVERKILL!!!

Somehow everyone disappears, a puff of black smoke appears…

And Iuria re-appears.

: Brother…?

: Bewitchment? Sirene!
: Gone. You don’t have to worry about that wicce anymore.
: Gone? You killed her? Sirene’s… dead?
: Are you in pain?

: No I was on my way to Valeria, after you, when pirates attacked our ship.

: She destroyed them all, brother!

Well then. Ain’t this a plot twist.

: I know it’s wrong… but I will mourn her, with or without you.
: Iuria…

Next update: We see one of the last cutscenes most players see before the CODA kills their will to live and grind

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I have yet to see a playthrough where you kill all of the pirates. Is it actually possible, or is quitting mandatory?

And yikes on that permanent loyalty drop. There's nothing you can do to regain it afterwards?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Shitenshi posted:

I have yet to see a playthrough where you kill all of the pirates. Is it actually possible, or is quitting mandatory?

And yikes on that permanent loyalty drop. There's nothing you can do to regain it afterwards?

It is possible to kill everyone. There isn't any notable dialogue.

Basically Gildas says they killed everyone, Canopus asks about Iuria, and Don Quixote says they should leave before more show up.

I will update with screenshots in a day or two.

As far as loyalty you can regain it two ways.

1) The lovers Tarot card

2) Gain a level in a ranked skill, like hammers, anatomy, augment element, etc.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

waah posted:

It is possible to kill everyone. There isn't any notable dialogue.

Basically Gildas says they killed everyone, Canopus asks about Iuria, and Don Quixote says they should leave before more show up.

I will update with screenshots in a day or two.

As far as loyalty you can regain it two ways.

1) The lovers Tarot card

2) Gain a level in a ranked skill, like hammers, anatomy, augment element, etc.

So either get lucky, or fight a billion battles. Holy poo poo that really is brutal. How much loyalty does a rank up give?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

lobster22221 posted:

So either get lucky, or fight a billion battles. Holy poo poo that really is brutal. How much loyalty does a rank up give?

A fair amount considering how many times characters you use will gain ranks, 10 I believe.

Banshees are relatively easy to take out with bows (or crossbows for that matter). Take them out FIRST and it normally shouldn't be a problem.

Also, if I recall correctly they require TP to use bewitched. Simply don't let them have a turn where they have the required tp (don't hit them till you're sure you can kill them without them having a turn). Of course they can still build TP via other ways (attacking you or just being given a truckload of time) so still make them a priority.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 4, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

mauman posted:

A fair amount considering how many times characters you use will gain ranks, 10 I believe.

Banshees are relatively easy to take out with bows (or crossbows for that matter). Take them out FIRST and it normally shouldn't be a problem.

True, I remember fae units being relatively squishy before the post game. Thanks.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Another thing that helps is to equip spellward on EVERYBODY. Even if they can only equip up to level 2, it WILL help. It's not a guarantee but any help to avoid these attacks is a godsend.

This is particularly helpful with the gorgons as well.

Also, one of the best classes in the game (valkyrie/rune fencer aka the better cleric) can cast ease.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 4, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

mauman posted:

Also, one of the best classes in the game (valkyrie/rune fencer aka the better cleric) can cast ease.

When I played I never really used them, but I heard late game they become really good support units right?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

mauman posted:

Also, if I recall correctly they require TP to use bewitched. Simply don't let them have a turn where they have the required tp (don't hit them till you're sure you can kill them without them having a turn). Of course they can still build TP via other ways (attacking you or just being given a truckload of time) so still make them a priority.

Yup Mauman has it right. If you show up with all spell slingers you are set, as their ability that causes bewitch requires 50TP IIRC.

It's really a matter of doing everything you can to make sure can prioritise them.

On maps where they spawn really far away and show up to you around turn 3 with 50 TP anyways...:suicide:

Gaining a rank in a skill does give you +10 loyalty which is a big deal. The time this matters most is in the Neutral route where almost your entire army takes loyalty hits.

The trick here is that in WORLD, a character won't lose loyalty because of story events if they are dead in the Warren Report.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

The time this matters most is in the Neutral route where almost your entire army takes loyalty hits.

Another reason (out of many) that Neutral is The Worst and you would be completely forgiven for never playing it - even in World.

lobster22221 posted:

When I played I never really used them, but I heard late game they become really good support units right?

Early game they're really good support units - the best in fact, better than even clerics.

It's end game where they become Gods/Goddesses among men. They give the likes of Shaman and Wicce a run for their money for the title of best offensive spell caster.

Not bad for a generic.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 4, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did Squeenix do anything nice for Tactics Ogre's 20th at least? :smith:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

Did Squeenix do anything nice for Tactics Ogre's 20th at least? :smith:

Yes They ignored the series like they usually do

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Copyright law is stupid. :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for picking this up! So how many reinforcements does she get when she summons darkness?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What a wonderful LP; thanks so much for doing this.

The PSX version of the game was a long-time favorite and I just didn't have it in me to do all the bullshit in the more polished PSP version.

Lans Hamilton's fate always struck me as awful and gross even in a game as dark as this. I'm so glad I finally got to see (thanks to the YouTube coda link) a happier ending.

Cheers.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Glazius posted:

Thanks for picking this up! So how many reinforcements does she get when she summons darkness?

Summon Darkness is one of those weird enemy spells in this game that the rules are kind of hard to nail down. Each time an enemy casts summon darkness there is a randomized chance of enemies that will show up. I have seen as few as 3, and I have seen as many as 7 in my playthroughs. It does not matter which boss it is, as the one time I remember seeing 7 (and getting pissed) was on a secondary playthrough of the Water Temple where the fortress boss is a Lich.

In this battle Sirene summoned 4 enemies that my AI characters promptly ignored to go kill Sirene. They did good for once.

What you guys don't usually see are how the AI bugs out when fighting undead enemies and will just stand around and do nothing waiting for them to respawn unless you have lots of characters who can cast exorcism. Which is one of the reasons why you'll see that Divine knight in almost every battle that has undead for the rest of this playthrough.

I'm gonna try to put out a story update by tomorrow to at least keep a steady drip of updates. We'll look at a few of the enemy types that I didn't talk about during the pirates graveyard, the elemental garbs maybe, and a bit of chatting between Gildas, Canopus, and Midryn.

FairGame posted:

What a wonderful LP; thanks so much for doing this.

The PSX version of the game was a long-time favorite and I just didn't have it in me to do all the bullshit in the more polished PSP version.

Lans Hamilton's fate always struck me as awful and gross even in a game as dark as this. I'm so glad I finally got to see (thanks to the YouTube coda link) a happier ending.

Cheers.

Glad you got to see the ending. But stick around still. Provided I make it all the way (and I am gonna do everything I can to finish) I'll be showing off the final battle with all the ridiculous things you have to do get the rarest weapon in the game. This also comes with a neat little bit of story as the 3 main characters (Denam, Vyce, and Catuia) face down all the dark knights. This is something that's already been done on this save, it's just a matter of me redoing it (and being allowed to use CHARIOT in a non cheesing way this time) and taking screenshots.

waah fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 8, 2018

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD Episode 3: I Immediately Regret This Decision

When we last left off, our heroes had just rescued Iuria from a demon who planned to eventually devour her soul. In typical Tactics Ogre, shades of grey fashion, Iuria is upset by Sirene’s death, and promises to mourn the death of Sirene, but never mentions her again.

Last update ran a bit long, so let’s take a look at a few of the classes of characters that Sirene summoned in battle and were present in the Pirate’s Graveyard. None of these guys are any thing more than beefier, pallet swapped versions of classes we already have class marks for.

The sniper class is simply a pallet swapped version of a fusilier.

The Executioner is just a reskinned version of a berserker

Warrior reskin, but with a cooler name

:black101: Now this is another awesome name for a class. Sadly, it’s just a wizard reskin.

The reskin of the terror knight suffers the same fate, it’s simply too slow and too fragile of a class in comparison to others.

So, what’s the purpose of these reskins? It’s three-fold. One, you can’t recruit them, so the game can beef up their stats and skills without the player just mass recruiting a murder army with no effort required. Two, they provide a bit of atmosphere as you start to get in more dangerous and deeper parts of the optional dungeons, you see less humans and beasts and more of these… creatures, reanimations, and otherwise not entirely human units. Three, these units have no allegiance or clan, which is an important factor in regards to unit loyalty.

As we discussed with the Banshee, loyalty can be a real kick in the nether regions. The “easiest” way to level up is to do random battles over and over again on Tynemouth Hill or Gorboza plains and just murder at will for easy levels. This is the wrong way to do this. The units you kill there are Bakram and Galgastani and Wallister. All you are doing is lowering the morale of your army by making them kill their friends. This is the reason some run into problems with chaos frame for recruitment and/or their units threatening to leave. But, if you go and kill bucketloads of apparitions and demi-humans, everyone is happy. Huzzah! :toot:

Leaving the Pirate’s Grave yard puts us back on the overworld map where our first order of business is to check the Warren Report. We have two new entries.

The King of Brantys

Back in Tithin’s episode 64 update, https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150082, we talked to Abuna Mreuva about the forbidden magics. There he mentions how King Roderick went mad and abused the Apocrypha to wipe out both friend and foe. Take note of that last little bit, about him swearing revenge and being imprisoned by King Dorgalua. Remember that the final boss of Chapter 4, and the game proper, was King Dorgalua. Gee, I wonder what’s going to happen here with Roderick…

San Bronsa Ruins

Our other option to read up on is the San Bronsa Ruins. If you do not read this in the Warren Report, the ruins will not show up. The San Bronsa Ruins are a roughly 30-floor dungeon for the post game. It’s filled with lots of really cool monsters, and some really imaginative maps that will really punish you for not having units that can traverse terrain. I think this is the real star of the CODA and can’t wait to show you guys some of these maps. The knock with this dungeon though, is that there is no real payoff for beating it. The weapons that drop from the highest levels have level requirements so steep (Level 45+) that you really don’t get a ton of time to enjoy using them. The most important thing about San Bronsa is do not complete San Bronsa until you are absolutely sure. The second you beat San Bronsa, all enemies in the game are permanently scaled to two levels higher than your highest fielded unit in battle.
And that’s it. Maybe you know what to do here, maybe not? And without a FAQ or previous knowledge you’ll wonder aimlessly around the map (maybe even taken on the San Bronsa Ruins) until you decide to show up at Heim. Once there you are greeted with an unprompted cutscene involving Canopus, Mirdyn, and Gildas.

Just 3 lines of dialogue in, and those of you familiar with the neutral side know why you cannot proceed if you complete the game on the neutral path. Gildas dies in the neutral path

Next CODA requirement met, as there can be no coronation of Catuia if she’s not alive.

: I did say that, and that’s my intention.
: Then why the preparations. Where are you going?

: Warren?

The screen fades to black and we go into flashback mode.

: I hear you make… for the Gardens. A Final battle with the dark knights?
: You’re as keen of mind as ever.

So far, this prophecy is checking out…

: And that helping those people would in turn help Xenobia. We were not to doubt that fated meeting… yes?
: Yes, yes, and… and one other thing.

The screen fades to black again, and we return to the present

Again, the game is really driving home that if you complete the game on the neutral path, you are literally garbage IRL. Remember, friends don’t let friends do neutral playthroughs.

: …
: I know. Lanselot’s –
: Do not worry, Don Quixote.

Well it wouldn’t have been the strangest thing we’ve seen on these islands.

: But you’re wrong
: It’s as Gildas says. This prophecy came not from the Star Seer Warren.

A prophecy from a mage stronger than Warren is a really big deal. Being that our hero has seen Warren’s power first hand it’s not really hard to believe that he
would accept this prophecy without a second thought.

: So you think Warren yet lives?

: The foundations of the hanging garden were damaged in the fight. It’s no longer possible to reach the chaos gate.
: Aye, but there may well be other chaos gates elsewhere in Valeria.

There sure were Canopus. And they were a pain in the rear end to get to. This is the game warning you that you are about to go through some bullshit to find a Chaos gate, you just don’t know it yet. There is one constant in life, it’s that when a game in the Ogre Battle Universe mentions a chaos gate, instantly expect to hate life.

: … every last one of them sealed off by Warren
: That’s why the palace of the dead caught our eye.

:suicide:

…and if he is under a pile of rubble Canopus, he’ll be dead by the type we jump through all the hoops and bullshit we have to go through to find him.

That’s our hero. It’s finally starting to dawn on him what he’s signing up for.

No. No! Nooooooooooo. Dude do you really want to go through 115 floors of the Palace of the Dead? Are you sure about this? Stay home, eat the Valerian equivalent of cheese puffs and wait for your sister to be Queen. Don’t DO IT

ARE YOU NOT LISTENING? WE CHANGED OUR MIND. NOOOOOOOOOO

*#$@
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, it’s voting time again. Chapter 2 of the CODA is the road block of all road blocks, and I intend on showing you why here. But the order we do things will matter. I will be using parallel saves, so don’t be surprised if certain characters lose a level or two during the rest of the LP. The reason for this is that I’ll be also showing a few Chapter 4 side quests off to break the monotony and if you aren’t careful, it’s very easy to ruin an anchor point so that you have to complete the Palace of the Dead and all the pre-requisites for the CODA all over again. We are not going to give that a chance to happen.

So gentle goons, make your vote:
1) World Back and complete the Palace of the Dead Storyline so that you can see Nybeth’s story end
2) Go straight after Warren and put this chapter to bed
3) Go do the San Bronsa Ruins and see Angels not Angels and cool maps
4) Do the actual pirate side quest in chapter 4
5) Other (Explain)
For those of you who know the BS the Coda puts you through, don’t take that into account or mention it more than it’s already been mentioned previously. If you guys vote for the “wrong choice”, I want to show how brutal it can be here with what limited knowledge we have.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
5) make your entire team into zombies

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
2. Let's get our lore on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If you're willing to go through the work necessary to make it happen, I vote for whatever option allows us to see as much of the game as possible... even the lovely, poorly designed bits. I don't know enough about this portion of the game and/or what locks off what to make any more specific requests.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Eh, honestly, just do 1 + 4 at once to get it all done.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 9, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Nobody caught the Harry Potter reference with the Death Eaters, huh.

1: It's lich time!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Eh, honestly, just do 1 + 4 at once to get it all done.

Agreed.

voting 1/4 because you can get 4 done fairly quickly.

Also, yes we caught the H.P. reference. It's kinda hard to miss :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Was it one? Are the names new to the remake?

E:pirates, but we must ensure that for the rest of the lp any we recruit don't do anything

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 10, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Death Eater - dark witch, worships somebody that can't be named.

I don't remember these existing in the original, but if that's not a reference then I'm Santa Claus.

They had fun naming the enemy-only variants. The orcs are named Uruk, for instance.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm seriously wondering who this greater sage that made the prophecy is supposed to be. There are only two people it could be, and one of them is a colossal rear end in a top hat who died before the sword was even stolen. Must be Saradin then.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
1) World Back and complete the Palace of the Dead Storyline so that you can see Nybeth’s story end

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Shitenshi posted:

I'm seriously wondering who this greater sage that made the prophecy is supposed to be. There are only two people it could be, and one of them is a colossal rear end in a top hat who died before the sword was even stolen. Must be Saradin then.

My understanding is that it is Saradin. After the events of the original Ogre Battle the main character, Gilbert, Aisha, Debonair, and Saradin go to save Palatinus, which directly borders Xenobia.

The Isles of Valeria got the "B" team from Ogre Battle in Lans, Warren, and Canopus. In my head, I would like to believe the canon is that the two knights who are with Lans when he first joins your party are actually Mirdyn and Gildas, but there nothing I know of that ties those two to Ogre Battle.

FoolyCharged posted:

Was it one? Are the names new to the remake?

E:pirates, but we must ensure that for the rest of the lp any we recruit don't do anything

Sorry Hal, I can't do that. The pirate is really good. And I want to have a little fun with his recruitment battle since I already have him recruited. It's payback for how many times that mission has caused a game over for me.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

4, go deal with Pirates

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

Everything is a Rashidi plot :tinfoil:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I just want to see it all in whatever order you deem best :)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The great sage mentioned is Rashidi. Saradin is not a sage.

When they said "involved in the founding of Xenobia", they're referring to the original Xenobian kingdom.

Rashidi's entire deal is that he wanted enough power to defeat fate. Presumably he did not like what his prophecy told him.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Tallgeese posted:

The great sage mentioned is Rashidi. Saradin is not a sage.

When they said "involved in the founding of Xenobia", they're referring to the original Xenobian kingdom.

Rashidi's entire deal is that he wanted enough power to defeat fate. Presumably he did not like what his prophecy told him.

Yeah, I was under the impression that the prophecy was given after Rashidi had been struck down, and while Rashidi was reincarnated, as a baby no one would be getting a prophecy from him.

But you are 100% right when you mention the original founding of Xenobia since Rashidi was once a hero.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Like I said....

EVERYTHING is a Rashidi plot :tinfoil:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Looks like Pirates/POTD is gonna win unless there are a lot of votes incoming.
There aren't going to be

I'll start working on doing the battles this weekend, and hopefully have an update next week. I'll probably break the pirate's quest into two updates so that the formatting time doesn't make me hate myself.

Edit: This means that POTD is right after Pirates. I don't expect it to be too bad, but you're not gonna see me CHARIOTing for rare drops. Use your imagination for that one. If we get lucky enough to get some of them from the AI murdering everything, I'll point them out though.

waah fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 11, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just use the all drops code, I mean really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD Episode 4: Arrrrrr (You Checking the Warren Report Constantly?)

Warning this is a really long update

We’ve rescued Iuria, and our friends have told us that we have to rescue Warren before the he is overtaken beyond the Chaos Gate. What’s our next move?

Ignore all of this for a very picky side quest!!!!

So, we world all the way back to the start of chapter 4. The way WORLDing around works is that you can go back to any anchor point in the Warren Report. Anchor Points are significant events like the start of a new chapter, or a significant story the development. This is all good except for doing certain quests like this one require you to overwrite anchor points. This affects everything that happens in the story afterwards, so if you don’t complete a certain side quest like the elemental shrines and then WORLD back into the CODA so that you can get the specialized boss loot, you’re out of luck. That information has now changed in the CODA and hope you’re ready to do chapter 4 again.

Now those of your who are really sharp are thinking, well won’t that reset any flags required to complete the CODA? Yes, yes it does.

This is the game’s only warning that you are about to mess up your CODA flags. Tread lightly my friends.
If this was a playthrough where I wasn’t doing parallel save files, I’d be required to do the Palace of the Dead and all content I wanted in chapter 4 (Catuia has to live, etc.) in order to progress the story of the CODA any farther than we’ve already seen.

This is a bad thing.
If you ever decide to do the CODA, make sure that when you go after it, you have everything you need or want for the next 30-60 hours or so of game play so that you don’t accidently mess up your progress.

The Pirates Graveyard Quest (Recruiting “Diego”)
The second most important part of this quest is to check the Warren Report religiously. I’m not joking, check it after every story battle just to make sure and keep multiple save files incase you mess up anyways. Even with a FAQ, it’s easy to miss a certain part of the chain and ruin this quest. You’ve been warned.

Once the opening cutscenes for Chapter 4 are finished you get Port Omish Den of Thieves as a Warren Report option.

To Port Omish we go! As a side note, I hate my poor little computer would die running fraps to record some of these scenes, but the sprite animation and artwork for this quest is out of this world. Screen shots really don’t do some of these scenes justice.

A man is red is drinking from a bottle, surrounded by a small crowd at a table. They are playing a game, where gambling is likely involved.

: Sirens, leviathans… any man of the sea worth his salt’s seen one. If you find one who says he hasn’t, he’s no man of the sea! He’s a landlubbber, without spine or spirit!

This seadog guy is awesome. Almost Han Soloish.

Ah the red pill poster of reddit is here to woo women.

And even in the video game world it doesn’t work out for him.

“I LIFTED THE EQUIVALENT OF 35 TONS IN MY WORKOUT YESTERDAY!”

:vince:

I wish I could tell you there’s a better putdown in this side quest but I can’t. This is just perfect.
:golfclap:

: You pirates are ever so. All whey and no cream. Ha ha!

Everyone around the table runs away as it’s clear a fight is about to begin. The camera pans down to see our heroes gathered up in formation.

Not that we’re in any danger of losing, but the Bakram *really* hate us at this point. If we were to lose, the torture our heroes would endure would make waterboarding look like a leisurely Saturday night bath.

:black101:

Our objective this battle is simple. Just kill the pirate leader and help save “Diego”.

“Diego” is equipped with crap equipment, but this is what most generic NPC characters in the game will max out at. The important part here is that the game considers this “Diego” a completely different character than “Not Diego”. In other quests further along, our “Diego” will be included in the fight as a guest, but here there is no interaction between the two.

As the skirmish progresses and Diego attacks Ragnar

I like this dude. Azelstan is awesome.

: Take what you want, kill who you dislike – that’s the pirate’s way, no? But don’t make the mistake of thinking me an easy mark! Let’s see what you’ve got!

Funny enough, in this case Ragnar was right. Careful what I ask for indeed. I put the AI on auto battle and the refused to do something simple like kill Ragnar. They went for max bloodshed and thus…

%&@^

Even in death, Azelstan owns.

And already I’ve screwed this quest up. Good loving game.

Ffffffff

And we go in with a different party that’s faster and covers more ground this time. Hopefully the AI will do better.

Ahh, much better. Well that was an embarrassing loss.

The screen turns black and some time passes. Again we see some great sprite animation as “Diego” is drinking alone on the pier of Port Omish. Homeless street urchins come up to him as he shoos them away.

: You’re the story teller from the market square.

Don Quixote turns to the kids.

: Sorry

: This is the bottom of the cask, boy. Lees and dregs. Got our share of refugees, too. Thanks to you and your kind.

Tactics Ogre is throwing haymakers right now. I need to go hug someone. Jesus.

: Pay no mind to a scoundrel like me. I know my place. Hadn’t you best be off? I’m sure a man like you’s got plenty needs doing.

: I was just thinking what a shame it is that a sword arm like yours languishes in a town like this.

Don Quixote turns and walks away as Azelstan goes back to drinking alone.

“Diego” throws his empty bottle away and a young girl comes out of the background to scurry and pick it up.

She then walks over and sits next to “Diego”.

And the scene ends.

From there, chapter 4 continues as normal.

We murder this dude.

We show up at Brigantys castle unarmed and see our father on his deathbed.

We see the scene with Mannaflora and Queen Vernotta.

We leave Brigantys to go see Warren who at this point in time is simply bedridden and not in a super deep sleep.

We go to Krysaro and find Ozma and Bolaq.

The AI does not take kindly to the conditions required to recruit her.

Oh, look how lucky we were. If you kill Ozma either here or at the end Chapter 3 on a different path, you can get her unique whip the Rose Whip. While whips aren’t the best weapons in the game, Ozma also gets a unique finisher for her whip which causes a ton of damage inflicts bewitched status on the enemy. We already talked about how good bewitched is, it’s worth playing around with if you want a strong build for Ozma, but not necessarily the *best*.

Volaq retreats.

:frogsiren: When was the last time you checked the Warren Report? :frogsiren:

This is where the quest can go off the rails. You get a topic about the Pirate’s graveyard here

After you read about the Pirates Graveyard, re-check the warren report for “The Dread Pirate” entry.

Return to Port Omish. Once there you’ll get another cutscene.

: Ah, the resistance boy, was it? You’re looking well. But then again, so am I.

: I’m searching for Azelstan. The one they call the “dread pirate”.

The little girl who was sitting on the pier walks over and hugs “Diego” and presumably begins to cry.

: Take you away?

About time you caught on dude. It’s a good thing you’re strong because if we needed you to solve mysteries instead of face punching, the Dark Knights would have won ages ago.

: Never shoulda opened my mouth

: So you are Azelstan

: Been many a year since anyone’s called me by that name

The two walk away to Azelstan’s dwellings to talk more in private.

: She took a shine to me for some reason. I never did anything for her, mind you. She’s not too good with the talking, and I guess that makes it hard for her with the other kids.

: The weak look to the strong for protection… or something more than that perhaps.

: So, what you want?

: I want you to tell me about the Pirate’s Graveyard and the treasure that rests there.

: What, you’re a treasure hunter now? Tired of warring already?

: Can’t help you.

: Don’t you want better for those children? If you would help them, help us!

: I’ve made up my mind. There’s nothing I can do for you.

: If that’s your decision

: Why did you leave your ship? Your sword arm and your legs are strong as ever

The scene ends. There’s a lot to unpack there and there’s obviously something Azelstan isn’t telling us. It’s clear he’s a pirate and is all about the pirate life, but it’s also clear he’s a big softie, and that’s probably behind what made him give up his ship and way of life.

No matter what his motivations are the next bit is the most important part of the side quest.

Again, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE SIDE QUEST

You have to go Qadriga Fortress. No, the game doesn’t tell you, and there’s no way for you to know this in game from what I can tell. You have to do this before going to Barnicia Castle. This scene will not trigger after you rescue Catuia (or kill her, or let her commit suicide, you monster), and the fight with her is an anchor point so you’ll have to redo this all again. I can’t stress it enough, this is where most of the attempts to recruit Azelstan fail.

Side note, I have no idea if the text changes here according to the season. It’d be interesting to find out, but I don’t have a save file around this point anymore and don’t feel like battling through here again to find out.

And with that, the scene is over.

Azelstan fights pretty good for a 56-year-old man.

Whew! This monster of an update is finally over. In WORLD Episode 5, we finish up the quest and we look at definitive proof that the answers you give in this quest can affect your chaos frame.