Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tithin posted:

1/ I was informed via PM there's legitimate end game reasons not to hire him now, and we will get another shot later.

2/ He's a level 9 berserker when we hire him. He will drop to level 1 when we hire him.

3/ I loving hate how stupid he is.

Well then there's your answer, ditch his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The end game is SO FAR AWAY.

and if Xapan is even remotely like his PSX/SNES version, you'd be ditching a really strong fighter.

Hire him.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hire him, but only on an unpaid "job trial"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Leave his rear end to rot

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tithin posted:

: But don't worry, the duke's alive. Way I see it, he owes me some coin. I'm off to Almorica to collect.

levi's probably not saying this line

hire him, no reason not to.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Roobanguy posted:

levi's probably not saying this line

Fixed - thanks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Obviously, take Xapan. I want to see what he contributes to the plot. We're already on the unseen side to the story. Might as well get the most out of it.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I kick him to the curb

The 'end game' benefits are far away, but it removes a ton of hassle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I ended up taking him in part due to having my mc be a berserker so he did not drop to level one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

He seems like a loser; :sever:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Hire him, for completion. He can sit on the bench.

Are you going to do the other paths? For example, could I talk about what Xapan would do in Chaos?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Ditch him. Dropping to level 1 when he's hired is really not worth it.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Drop him, his job application in that fight was rather lackluster.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Verant posted:

Drop him, his job application in that fight was rather lackluster.

Didn't you hear him though? Death blinks first.

I'm pretty sure In confusion / contempt / surprise though :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Frankly his unique portrait is lame

Tell him to get stuffed

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Recruit him

I have an irrational love for Xapan.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

We're 7 and 7 by my count, next vote takes the cake

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Nope. Goodbye, Xapan!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nope. Goodbye, Xapan!

Yay!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fare thee well, Xapan

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, there are regional variants of birdman?

...now I'm just imagining Alola Form generic class sprites.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Glazius posted:

Oh, there are regional variants of birdman?

...now I'm just imagining Alola Form generic class sprites.

There were in Ogre Battle too. Birdman, then level up and High Ali -> Vultan (FLASH! OHHH OHHHHHH!) or Low Ali -> Raven. We'll see Ravens in TO later, they're enemy only recolor classes.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Andyzero posted:

There were in Ogre Battle too. Birdman, then level up and High Ali -> Vultan (FLASH! OHHH OHHHHHH!) or Low Ali -> Raven. We'll see Ravens in TO later, they're enemy only recolor classes.

I was somewhat disappointed to find out bird people would have classes in the PSP version only to have them be basic human classes and not a variation of their own classes from previous games.

Still rad to have flying Rune Fencers and Archers tho.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 8 - I hope you like war crimes

git tae gently caress

Another recipe book. I can't remember what this one does, I want to say it's blow darts, but eh.

:toot: most dudes are hitting level 10.

We got the title Piratebane for our efforts.

We've now fought 21 battles over three months.

These have been covered in previous updates. Nothing new there.

Arycelle wasn't lying then

Time to head home, we need to go via Tynemouth hill.

Shuffling our ranks around a bit, Kilmotos is now of par level so we can get him on the front lines now. We'll be investing his points offensively as opposed to defensively, it means we're going to need to be extra careful because he's got all the tanking skill and moral fibre of tissue paper.

: No, m'lord Gatialo. You cannot throw away your life here. Galgastan needs you alive. Return to our holdings at Coritanae, there to reform our lines.

: You are but a band of Akhiatros. They'll crush you!

: We are prepared to die. We have always been so. Besides, you're in no condition to fight. You wouldn't reopen wounds so freshly closed and ruin our work, would you?

: Then I shall take especial care not to die.

Enemy Forces:

Yellow
Wynoa (Cleric)
Gatialo (Terror Knight)
H. Cleric x8
H. Archer x2

Suggested Unit(s): Canopus, Xapan

Yeah, 9 Clerics. We're fighting a vanguard of medics.

This is a mission with an optional objective. Gatialo is going to try and make a run for it, and we are going to try to kill him.

Wynoa has Field Alchemy 3 or 4 - I can't remember. Whatever she has is enough to actually be a threat. You'll see why.

Catiua's not joking, poor english aside. We'll get to his stats later.

Having hit level 10 our clerics can now cast Boon of Swiftness. We're going to be seeing a lot of hasted units from our team now.

I am also no longer going to be covering incidental buffs like Boon or Instills because that poo poo takes too much effort and is boring as poo poo both to write and read about. Assume I'm doing it.

Y'all like senseless killing of civilians yet?

Canopus does.

So does Snipette, but she's not as good as Canopus is at murder.

That's ok, she's got help.

the general's going to try to move up our west flank. He will not engage us, unless we engage him. Allowing to him to leave is a valid tactic that will, naturally, result in a battle further down the line. We can always come back later and allow him to escape if we wish.

Thankfully now that he's on par for level / stats, Kilmotos is no longer being perforated by archers like he was previously.

The wall of heals begins

Let's check out Gatialo will we?

Level 16, you're not really expected to fight him now then.

Rank 3 swords, dark magic, cannot be knocked back, Counterattack 2 means he hits for half his regular damage on a counter. Parry and Fearful Impact are both "new" to us.

Parry makes it so that if you fail a block, you roll another chance to block. That's it. There is one for arrows (Deflect) and chance to Dodge (Dodge, from memory). They're very useful skills for characters you intend damage to occur to, you know to not take damage.

He also has resist stun / slow, but these are redundant because he is naturally immune due to boss flag.

Kilmotos will get many of these in the future. Drain Heart drains HP, Mind MP. Gravity flux leadens targets, similar to the additional effect on the first bow finisher.

Kilmotos gets his first kill!

We get our first tier 2 missile spells :getin:

This isn't a challenge, it's a slaughter.

That's irritating. Not life threatening though.

That archer doesn't like being hit by a lowly priest.

Try to get a sleep off, but Kilmotos chance to hit with spells is garbage. We'll need to get some points into that ASAP.

Gatialo has a metric fuckton of health and the stats to go with it. Killing him won't be easy.

It's not 1:1 damage healing, it's about 0.66:1, but still enough to heal up what we did previously (or maybe it is 1:1 and it just healed up what I did before hand...?)

Breached should help us here.

The wall of heals would normally help Gatialo, but they're half the map away at this point.

This is a new one. Major heal's a cross shaped AOE heal that's almost as strong as a regular heal.

Brimstone Hail!

Possibly one of the most lethal single target / multi target abilities in the game. It's the tier 1 crossbow finishing move. It's a cross shaped ability that fires explosive bolts randomly in the cross, it fires 5 of them. It may hit the same square every time. It might hit 5 empty squares. It's great.

Anyway, this hit everyone once for ~80ish damage so it kicked our rear end. That archer's on our poo poo list.

The beast is fallen. Yeah, I said he was tanky, I meant it.

It took our entire team, some tier 2 spells, Canopus doing a finishing move and a bunch of arrows and spears to kill him.

The real dark souls starts here.

We're still healing up from that Brimstone Hail.

Lenneth loving destroys the rock (figuratively) in her bid to murder the archer.

gently caress! The enemy leader just dropped an item that was basically an on use Brimstone Hail, except it hit every square once.

Kilmotos tries to drop a stun but fails due to garbage spell stats.

More killing and major healing.

Arrows and heals fly.

For reference, that spell doing 90 to Alaire in this screenshot, did 15 to Gatialo. Dude was JACKED.

Vulcan Lance 2 fires a bigger rock than the previous one.

Archer drops a strength card.

Another Cleric dies.

She is going to do this every turn

Unfortunately for her, she doesn't have any follow up left, having two clerics, and we have enough healing to counter it, therefore I'm going to skip the following turns while we clear up the clerics.

Therefore...

Lenneth gets the stat boost

Snipette's claimed a few scalps this fight.

ON THE NEXT EPISODE: A HEROES WELCOME.

Also we'll probably update talents and poo poo.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A..are we the baddies?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

A..are we the baddies?

We had the chance to be one of the few goodies by going chaos. Now we as well as everybody else are bastards of various degrees.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

We get our first tier 2 missile spells :getin:

How does that work? Do you just have to use spells enough and reach a certain level?

I've had this issue of never wrapping my head around how this game plays in Helmet's LP thread too.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

RareAcumen posted:

How does that work? Do you just have to use spells enough and reach a certain level?

I've had this issue of never wrapping my head around how this game plays in Helmet's LP thread too.

No, it's simply a matter of buying a spell scroll, and having the character you want to use the spell learn the spell. Then, provided thr character meets the required level for that spell, he or she can cast it.

Basically to cast a spell in TO, you need to pass the following checklist

Can my class use spells of this element (divine, dark, fire, water, etc) Y/N?
Can my class use this type of magic (missile, indirect, status) Y/N?
Does my character have the corresponding magic slotted into one of it's 10 ability slots? (Divine, dark,fire, water, etc) Y/N?
Does my character's class level meet the minimum required level to cast this spell? Y/N?
Do I currently have enough MP to cast the spell in question (15 mp for t1 missile, 30 for t2 missile, etc) Y/N?
Is there a valid target in range? Y/N?

Provided all of those qualifications are satisfied, you cast the spell.

There is a lot more to how much damage is done and the percent chance of the spell inflicting status effect, but this will cover things now.

Edit: One last important thing to note: Any character regardless of class/level/element can cast a spell from a scroll in battle. The characters stats are used to determine damage and effectiveness, but if you have the scroll, you can cast the spell once in battle. The character then "learns" that spell and the scroll is consumed.

waah fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 16, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

:spergin: alert!

If you kill Wynoa first in this battle, and then kill Gatialo, you get the title "Hand of Justice."

I have no idea why you don't get it by killing them the other way around.

Also, killing Gatialo here makes a minor change later in the game.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Andyzero posted:

If you kill Wynoa first in this battle, and then kill Gatialo, you get the title "Hand of Justice."

Huh, I actually thought it was the other way around.

I'll see soon I guess!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure most Geneva Code style medics don't switch-hit as luminous death rays.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 9 - A Heroes welcome

Andyzero posted:

Turns out this is entirely true, we didn't get the title for killing first her, then him. Ah well, this will be easily resolvable in the near future.

In the meantime, blessed home at last.

Ronwey has a Massive amount of wishful thinking right now.

: All that's lacking is the coup de grace. I will muster a new host and march on Coritanae.

: And where will you find men for this...host?

: But do not forget, Levi's feint required that Galgastan hold considerable forces in reserve.

: If he were to strike now, we would be hard-pressed to repel him.

: What's more, ever since Balmamusa, we've suffered an endless stream of deserters. We cannot fight a war without soldiers.

: Not complaints, your grace. Simple facts. One thing to talk of bringing down Balbatos, but idle musings bring us no closer to victory!

: Enough of this. This is no time to quarrel amongst ourselves.

When your voice of reason is a 16 year old, your alliance is in trouble.

: The decision is made. It is the only way to bring down Balbatos.

: By begging for reinforcements, we all but admit defeat. Again you would vassal us to the Bakram.

: Were it to become known, our ranks would dwindle further. Even those under watch of our walls would take flight.

: You would drive them into the waiting arms of the New Walister Alliance.

: Still I wait to hear how you would deliver us!

: No, forget I asked. I've heard enough of your counsel.

: What does our young hero make of this? It's you I must persuade.

: Well....

: Will you not venture to Phidoch Castle? Convey my missive to Tartaros?

: Your grace! You must rethink this!

Probably not the best idea to dismiss your seasoned military advisor, but what do I know, I'm no duke.

This here's a damned good reason to read the news.

The Phorampa Wildwoods are an optional dungeon. There is no specific story reason to go here (not for a very long time), but it has a lot of drops and is a good place to grind new recruits. As the story progresses, more areas open up.

We will not be going there now though we may go further down the track.

Levi's coming along nicely now. He has 7 talent rows and points in all the poo poo that makes him hard to kill. He's about halfway to getting his level 2 in hammers for his finishing move, but that won't happen for some time. I rather expect that Levi will be changing classes in the near future.

This time around we bought an additional talent row, and slotted in Constitution, which I bought ages ago. This provides a nice 10% buff to Levis HP.

Kilmotos spends near all of his talent points to open up two new talent rows. I take a point in Rampart Aura 1 for the sakes of more battlefield control, and spellstrike 1.

Fearful Impact is the Terror Knight equivalent of Mighty Impact / Tremendous Shot, however while it does guarantee chance to hit, it does not guarantee chance to crit.

Instead it guarantees a landing of the "fear" debuff, which increases damage taken and decreases damage done by the target. I can't remember if I covered this or not.

Catiua spends more points in talent row 7, and Spell Ward 1 which decreases the chances of spells land.

Lenneth's undergone the biggest "changes" here. She opened up Talent Row 8, bought HP Infusion (converts TP to HP, very handy) and also invested in Spell Ward 1, as spells are the things that do the most damage to her.

Can't remember what happened to Nerraw here. Pretty sure we opened up row 7, and gave him expand mind 1 to increase his MP regen.

Did nothing with Snipette here. She's going to accrue points for a little while.

Martine opens row 8, and parks her points.

Next to Lenneth, Canopus got the biggest updates here. We finally unequipped his Bow and gave him a Crossbow, so no more downtown dunks for Canopus anymore. We invest in row 8, and give him Anatomy. The rest of the points we're going to park to get Counterattack / Strengthen when they're available.

Finally spent some of Donnaltos points, he had like 900 and I've not replaced him... yet. He will be replaced though.

He gets Sidestep to dodge more arrows, and Expand Mind for MP regen.

And with that out of the way, we're free and clear to go see the Dark Knights, and there's not a whiff of red in sight. So glad this is going to be so easy.

On the next episode: As was foretold in prophecy, it will be more difficult than predicted.

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 24, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a choice to walk out with leonar there. I'd imagine it's coming soon, but ronwey is spouting some seriously suicidal stuff there.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

back when I was always playing Chaos I hated Leonar's guts, but he sure is looking reasonable on this route lately!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Goddamn, when it Catiua going to actually join our drat army?

Also, can someone refresh my memory on the difference between bows and crossbows in this game? Do they just fire in a line instead of an arc?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Also, can someone refresh my memory on the difference between bows and crossbows in this game? Do they just fire in a line instead of an arc?

That is the difference between the two.

Edit: As in Bows can do crazy things with arcs whilst crossbows fire in a straight line.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 18, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

that, and bows can also fire outside of their actual shown range.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 10 - As was foretold in prophecy

Mother fucker - the map has lied to us again.

It's been some time since we've been at these plains.

: Hrm. Something tells me I won't be recruiting you.

: You must be part of the New Walister Alliance. We share a common cause.

: Cause? You abandoned our cause when you drew steel on your kinsmen, traitor.

: Listen up, boys! That one there's the hero of Golyat! Slaughtered the people of Balmamusa like cattle, he did.

: All to slake his thirst for power!

: You going to let him and his bloodthirsty lord rule us into the grave? I didn't think so! For the alliance!

Gousin is a Ninja. Ninjas are broken for two reasons, one of which will be demonstrated shortly.

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Gousin.

Purple
Gousin (Ninja)
H. Warrior x2
H. Knight
H. Archer
H. Cleric
R. Warrior
F. Rogue
H. Knight
H. Rogue
U. Rogue

: Oh, he has forsaken you, truly! Power is the prize in his eye now.

: But you, you know better. You know strength can push away as well as it pulls closer.

: Does the duke's army not bleed men by the day?

: If you have the best interests of the Walister at heart, you will leave Levi's side and service!

We get a choice of response here, but the choice has no long reaching implication. I choose option 2.

: What is your business, and how do you know who I am? Your words sit very ill with me, I'll have you know.

: Ah, er, yes, well...

: Well what? If you've aught to say, say it!

: Y-you see, ma'am, we seek to build a society free of the repression v-visited upon us by the ruling elite!

jesus christ, someone get this man a fedora, stat

: Well said. Go on.

: S-see, your brother, Levi, he's but a c-clinging cretin, wagging his tail for the duke! Thinks maybe the duke will throw him a bone...some land or a title, perhaps, eh? And you'd follow him?

Remember this scene, for further down the tracks.

can't remember which crossbow that old mate Canopus got, but its secondary effect is stun which is actually super helpful.

Ninjas are neat. They have a lot of neat tricks. They have one particular, enemy only trick (which doesn't go away when you recruit them...) which is particularly broken.

One of their tricks is that Ninjas, asides from being really good at gutting people, are also the games summoners. Don't be fooled though, by and large their summon spells are loving garbage.

Asides from summons, they can do a bunch of stuff to enhance their weapons, giving a chance to silence / poison / etc when landing a hit.

Catiua vents her frustrations with captain fedora on the nearest reptile, the closest, near simulacrum to him that she could find.

the little blue assholes are familiars. They're annoying and that's it. They're fragile, fast, and come in various flavours of archer / cleric / mage.

They die very quickly but can easily distract you from larger threats.

Our team bring the hurt, while the enemy completely fails to recover any meaningful damage done.

Bumping Kilmotos' chance to land spells bumped the chance for sleep to land up to 48~%

Sadly, we won't be able to arc the crossbow shot over the archer to hit the cleric, buuuut....

Why go over when you can go through?

the blue hat and the the pink hat are male and female rogues. They are thieves.

I have never used thieves, ever since I learned that their steal functions like meditate. it takes hundreds of uses to level it up.

Recruitment is far easier.

And murder even easier still.

Snipette veers her shot at the last minute to aim for the male soldier while their healer heals herself.

It did 20 damage.

Summons aren't great, but they have their niches. You'll see a good use of summon later.

Catiua, offended by the pathetic Spiritsurge, demonstrates the correct way to surge someones spirits.

Kilmotos continues to take a kicking, while Martine blocks and punches her attacker in the face during her own turn.

Lenneth skewers the enemy. Bet she wishes she could skewer the three ahead of her, but alas.

Was this Kilmotos' first kill? I think it was his first crit anyway.

my loot! :arghfist:

I wasn't kidding when I said they're fragile.

Why ninjas are dangerous, exhibit A.

Ninjas double attack - they dual wield. I forget if they need to dual wield to double attack or not, someone better than me at the game could say so one way or the other.

Imagine a ninja with an instill, two crafted weapons, and the ability to silence / stun their targets on hit.

Ninjas also have the benefit of the best move range in the game, and with a verticality exceeded only by birdmen.

my loving card!!

(ok, it was only max mp+5, but still)

We're just winding up now, they've got little in the way of offensive capability le..

:arghfist:

We kinda wanna feed Levi some easy damage / kills to buff his weapon skill.

Kilmotos' revenge.

Anyway, skip to the end.

Dark Blade is the Tier 1 finishing move for 1 handed Katanas. It's essentially a long distance melee hit.

Rime Raven is the "Ice" summon, it summons three snowballs and lobs them at the target. Did about a hundred damage to Kilmotos, but then his spell resilience is poo poo.

You know what, those aren't the worst words you could die to.

Not a bad pay day. we can now make our own thieves (we won't) and Ninjas.

Do we create a new generic as a Ninja, and bid farewell to Donnalto now, or do we turn one of our existing crew into a Ninja? If you would opt for the latter, nominate someone to change

Well the next map isn't red, so I imagine this'll be just a quick jaunt to see the Dark Knights.

On the next episode: as was foretold in prophecy... again..

tithin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 23, 2017

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

it's really depressing having to kill off these folks who have seriously good reasons for wanting us dead. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We haven't even seen what truly makes Ninjas so incredibly broken.