Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Why did you fly down, Orgeau? Silly billy.

I recently had a winged cleric sit on top of a wall, requiring me to pelt him to death with indirect spells.

I'm glad when they fly down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I recently had a winged cleric sit on top of a wall, requiring me to pelt him to death with indirect spells.

I'm glad when they fly down.

drop a train on em

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

suplex a train on em

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess the plan is to take the castle and then fight this battle the other way, when the besieging army returns to try and take it back?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Glazius posted:

So I guess the plan is to take the castle and then fight this battle the other way, when the besieging army returns to try and take it back?

I think the idea is that if you take the heirophant, the enemies either surrender or fall imto disarray.
Either way it probably doesnt end well for the heirophant.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the idea is that if you take the heirophant, the enemies either surrender or fall imto disarray.
Either way it probably doesnt end well for the heirophant.

If only he had a loyal son to throw at the enemy for dignity points.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Glazius posted:

That'll be addressed in the next update.

Speaking of, it's running behind schedule. Entire house is down sick with cold / flu / chest infection in the kids, so I've been less thinking of the game and more longing for the sweet embrace of death.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

tithin posted:

Speaking of, it's running behind schedule. Entire house is down sick with cold / flu / chest infection in the kids, so I've been less thinking of the game and more longing for the sweet embrace of death.

hope everybody gets better soon, and have our well-wishes.

:ohdear:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Archer

"Two height up, seventeen panels away... yeah I think I got it."

Races: Human, Winged, Skeleton, Lizardman, Lamia, Skeleton, Orc
RT: 26 Move: 3 Jump: 2/3 Move Cost: 4/tile
Weapons: Daggers*, Bows, Crossbows, Thrown
Armor: Medium
Support: Counterattack III, Knockback II, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike III, Trueflight IV, Dodge III, Sidestep IV, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower
Action: Double Shot, Tremendous Shot
Special: Eagle Eye

*Sticker, Baldur, and Damasc daggers - the lameass daggers - only.

The archer is the ranged equivalent of the warrior. As you might imagine, being able to attack more than one panel away is a huge bonus. You might also think the archer is balanced by some weakness.

It's really not.

The only generic class to get 2h bows, the archer is in a unique position of being able to hit, like, seven to a dozen panels away without having to bother to move, even further than the ostensible range, using weird arcing projectiles. This allows archers to focus every fiber of their being on making arrows hit harder, and boy do they get to hit hard. A good archer can one-shot enemy mages without any sort of boost and one-shot nearly everything with tremendous shot. Seriously, golems are like the only exception because they take minimal damage from piercing. An amazing number of battles end up being your frontline letting the archers get shots in on the boss, and this plan works because archers get drat brutal. Their shots beat the warrior's impact in practicality due to this range and sheer oomph.

If they do have weaknesses, it's the obvious inability to do much in melee. Their daggers are basically token inclusions and having a dagger means having a 1h bow. Sometimes, the 2h bows get insane ranges like 6-9 that make shots awkward because you have to be so far away. Denam also has a bad habit of running up to fortified positions head-on and yelling at them, leaving your archers terrain that can hinder shots, like large height differences and obstacles.

Still, those are minor compared to what the archer brings. It's easily the best class in the game, in terms of how much value it generates throughout the game. The rear end-beginning of the game, when all you have is shortbows, is the only point they don't dominate. Bows never leave them wanting past that, and sometimes you get crazy things like Seige Bows +1 having on-hit Bound, or the elemental bows allowing the archer to cast instill element spells on themselves or friends. They're always ready to pick off mages, soften up knights, or sometimes just pick off everything that even looks at you funny as they chain tremendous shots.

While they can use crossbows and thrown weapons with decent proficiency, other classes can use those, like Rogue, but only archers get the 2h bows that let them rain arcing terror on enemies. Trajectory is also a great use of a skill slot because it lets you know which shots are possible or not, saving a lot of time and grief figuring out arrows's physics and flight paths, and sometimes it can shock you with how crazy of a shot is possible. Tremendous Shot negates evasion and weather and enemy wizards, and even boosts damage a bit which is all Archers do. As a modifier to the normal attack it gains TP for the next Tremendous Shot. Double Shot is x2 which is even more! And it gets TP! It doesn't negate evasion and can't shoot out of the actual range, so... run both! It won't matter, whatever!

Just loving kill everything with archers! The game gives you Sara, a good archer, after the second battle! Canopus can shift to Archer and with innate flight he just fucks everything! gently caress! Never stop! Archers!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 17, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah yes, the old "make Canopus an archer" vs "Keep Canopus as a Vartan" dilemma.

Both are great things to do. I think the archer is the more powerful of the two options early on, but once you get swiftfoot 2 and get the first 3 finishers for Xbow, I think Vartan ends up being the more powerful (or at least useful, as my xbow users generally get more kills then my archers) of the two.

Also, it's not just Golems that give archers problems, all big monsters have resistance to piercing damage (drat dragons will be your bane early on).

I think my biggest issues with Archers is that they move...so....slow. Even a winged Archer like Canopus is going to have to take multiple turns just to get into an advantageous position in most maps. Add to the fact that there are a few unique classes that adequately emulate archery, I don't include them into the "big 3"*

They're absolutely amazing till you get to that point though.

*big 3 is my way of saying the only 3 base, non-unique classes that I consider to be as good as or better than unique classes at end/post game (which are Valkyrie, Rogue, and Ninja).

Not that this stopped me from making a non-canopus wingperson archer, allowing me to keep my lovely birdman as a crossbow wielding god AND having my aerial archer.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 10, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 9 - The Siege of Coritanae Ward

You can tell it's a big battle because we're allowed to open up the field to the max of 12 characters.

(we only take 11)

Enemy Composition

Coritanae Ward

Condition(s): Kill Apollinaire.

Yellow
Apollinaire (Knight)
H. Valkyrie x2
H. Terror Knight x2
H. Berserker x2
H. Archer x4
H. Cleric x2
H. Witch

: Daesi.... How many seasons have passed since we last met.

: If you are here...then Brigantys has fallen, and the traitors to the heirophant conspire with the Walister!

: True enough, though I mislike your choice of words.

: We are not criminals, but brothers-in-arms, seeking not more conflict, but peace.

They've a strong frontline composed entirely of Dark Knights and Berserkers.

Kilmotos breaks out Shadowguard as a pre-emptive. This puts "Shadow Attuned" on a bunch of units simultaneously that reduces damage taken by that element. 20% I think? I dunno, there's not a lot of information out there about it, but anecdotally when people have it, casters tend to move to other elements :shrug:

Not sure if it has any impact on debuffs of a spell school or not, but lets be cheeky and pretend it does.

Murderfest 9000 opens up strong.

Duststorm does what it says on the tin. It's an AoE slow which reduces RT and thus increases length of time between turns. Also has a nice side effect of changing a characters facing so you can use that offensively to get higher % to hit.

Canopus and Donnalto drop off the side of the ledge here and start murdering enemies.

Fun facts, you can see in that last screenshot a ledge to get back up to the bridge? apparently not there in the original, so if you fell down you were hosed.

We're sort of in the middle of an uh, game long power spike. I remember the game being a lot more difficult than it is right now.

Might be I'm remembering the end game grind.

Thor approves of Murder

: His sword is wet with the blood of innocents, and his boots dark with the ashes of their village!

: It is true. I have no desire to deny what I have done.

: Nor do I deny that it was a terrible mistake, a weighty sin upon my soul!

: ll those who lent aid to Balbatos's blood war were ogres...ogres in men's flesh!

: You blame his eminence? it was you upon the field of battle! You who mistook friend or foe!

: You speak as though your own hands were not stained dark with the blood of innocents!

: Innocents? Do not brand me with your iron, traitor! I fought only the enemies of this kingdom...gnawing vermin like you, who place the blame for their own sins upon our lord!

This seems almost a lovers quarrel.

Apollinaire and Levi clash in the middle of the bridge.

Apollinaire subscribes to the same style of play Levi does. Big, bulky, tanky. She is extremely tanky, and heals, and will go out of her way to frustrate you, especially with support which she has.

Offensively, she is lacking, but that's not her strong suit, and she doesn't try to fill that niche.

Donnalto gets spit roasted between the Rune Fencer and the Valkyrie.

We start cleaning out the northern basement of trash.

She has a lot of support.

Meanwhile Canopus racks up another couple of kills just because.

Apollinaire is now their sole frontline.

Donnalto gets to the sweet meats, while Voltare knocks Apollinaire off the bridge and into the northern pit with his shield. And thanks to the power of rampart aura and only a single point she can't get back out. We can now take our time with looting these corpses.

Gone are the days when a single Rending Gale would absolutely demolish Kilmotos, he's pretty tanky now. It took a long time to get there though.

Those were all Tremendous shots. Donnalto came real close to death there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc

Just kinda speeding through this now - the fight kinda doesn't pose anymore threat now that we're surgically dismantling their big hitters.

Honestly the big issue that ninjas have is that they are squishy defensive stat wise, it's why the enemy keeps going for Donnalto, and this'll be a ~bigger~ issue in the end game where the enemies damage is on par or better than ours, and they have the numbers advantage.

I'M COMING FOR YOUR HEAD ARCHER.

Another scalp.

Nerraw continues dropping rocks on the head of Apollinaire.

She sandbags which is fine, as we send Nerraw up to their starting position to grab the Int card.

With Apollinaire inches from death, Jeunan decides to continue his heart to heart.

: I was a man changed then. Those villagers - something dark inside me moved my hand to cut short their cries for mercy.

: I believed, in my black heart, that I did my duty for Galgastan.

: That I served my people even as I slew them.

: But what did I serve, other than death? I watched as the light faded from the eyes of our people and fear grew in their hearts.

: I watched as the beauty that was Galgastan...perished.

Whole lot of paralells between Jeunan and Levi.

: Foolishness! You'd have us return to the years of Dorgalua's rule, is that it? When the Bakram and Walister dined at the king's table, while the Galgastani were left to forage for scraps? You would throw away all we built this kingdom for!

: Where is the beauty in that, I ask you!?

: You decry the injustices of Dorgalua while you wish them upon the Walister! You would strip them - and your own clansmen - of their freedom. The heirophant's justice has failed, and his people abandon him.

: Surely you see it, Daesi!

And between Balbatos, and Ronwey, at that.

Well girl, do I have bad news for you.

Oh gently caress off.

Nope.

Martine finishes her off before she can sandbag any further.

-----------//-----------

Inside Coritanae Keep

Levi and his forces hold the castle, the Hierophants forces are slain and the man himself stands between us. A table between him and us.

Words to never say to a person with nothing to lose.

Psonji was a feint.

Levi draw his own blade to the Hierophant.

There's always a choice.

-----------//-----------

At the Psonji Weald Galgastan encampment

The following scene is best viewed in video. However, because I am a dumbass who compulsively overwrote my save state, images it is.

The commander of the Galgastani force is torturing Vyce by whipping him in the loving face.

He whips Vyce again.

Vyce, who's been suspiciously quiet up until now...

begins to laugh.

and continues laughing

Until he catches a plated boot to the head.

Before falling unconcious.

Looks like Vyce really bled them at the Weald.

There we have it. The Galgastani are going to commit a delaying action to hold us off, and go take OUR castle from us.

Someone needs to tell them that base races only work for you when you're already in their base, not when you need to get there.

For our efforts, we get a fancy title "The Conqueror".

As for what's next, well, how about we let the Galgastani cement their position while we finalise a sidequest hmm?

tithin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 15, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Ah yes, the old "make Canopus an archer" vs "Keep Canopus as a Vartan" dilemma.

Both are great things to do. I think the archer is the more powerful of the two options early on, but once you get swiftfoot 2 and get the first 3 finishers for Xbow, I think Vartan ends up being the more powerful (or at least useful, as my xbow users generally get more kills then my archers) of the two.

Also, it's not just Golems that give archers problems, all big monsters have resistance to piercing damage (drat dragons will be your bane early on).

I think my biggest issues with Archers is that they move...so....slow. Even a winged Archer like Canopus is going to have to take multiple turns just to get into an advantageous position in most maps. Add to the fact that there are a few unique classes that adequately emulate archery, I don't include them into the "big 3"*

They're absolutely amazing till you get to that point though.

*big 3 is my way of saying the only 3 base, non-generic classes that I consider to be as good as or better than unique classes at end/post game (which are Valkyrie, Rogue, and Ninja).

Not that this stopped me from making a non-canopus wingperson archer, allowing me to keep my lovely birdman as a crossbow wielding god AND having my aerial archer.

The huge stat upgrade from archer to Vartan makes it a no brainer for me tbh - the move speed hurts a lot, like so much holy poo poo but like all things it's mitigated by Move skill.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

The huge stat upgrade from archer to Vartan makes it a no brainer for me tbh - the move speed hurts a lot, like so much holy poo poo but like all things it's mitigated by Move skill.

:confused:

Huh....never really thought about it that way. Though I honestly don't see a 1 point strength and 4 point dex difference* (the stats that actually matter for damage) makes up for 3 points of movement (and this is taking move skills into account). Sure you get some vit and agil, but I don't really think those are in general all that important.

*as quickly compared from my file by switching a buck-naked Canopus from a level 50 vartan to a level 50 archer.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 9, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

:confused:

Huh....never really thought about it that way. Though I honestly don't see a 1 point strength and 4 point dex difference* (the stats that actually matter for damage) makes up for 3 points of movement (and this is taking move skills into account). Sure you get some vit and agil, but I don't really think those are in general all that important.

*as quickly compared from my file by switching a buck-naked Canopus from a level 50 vartan to a level 50 archer.

I misspoke, I meant to say the other way around. Vartan to Archer makes it so that I can't stick with Canopus as a Vartan. I get that Vartans have a lot of utility, but utility in this game distracts from murder, and murder wins battles.

e: though like in all things, I don't have stats but as I recall, vartan to archer in terms of raw stats was much higher (ie, Archer had much higher stats). Might be a low level thing where it balances out at the end though..?

Or maybe I should stop talking out my arse.

tithin fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

I misspoke, I meant to say the other way around. Vartan to Archer makes it so that I can't stick with Canopus as a Vartan. I get that Vartans have a lot of utility, but utility in this game distracts from murder, and murder wins battles.

e: though like in all things, I don't have stats but as I recall, archer to vartan in terms of raw stats was much higher. Might be a low level thing where it balances out at the end though..?

Oh, I figured that's what you meant. What I was saying is that the movement that you get from Vartan generally gets him more murdertime than my archers, stats be damned :downs:

Never really thought of Vartans having utility. El Colas Winds is neat I suppose, but I'll be the first to admit that their TP skills are rubbish compared to Archers. Though, just as I'd rather use tp skills then finishing moves for my archers, I'd rather use finishing moves than tp skills (speedster is the exception on my rogue) for my Xbow users.

edit - the stat distance could be you remembering that archers get access to the nomad bracers. That does add a significant amount of dex. My personal tastes still don't think it's worth 3 points of movement, but I do see your point.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 9, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

: His sword is wet with the blood of innocents, and his boots dark with the ashes of their village!

: It is true. I have no desire to deny what I have done.

: Nor do I deny that it was a terrible mistake, a weighty sin upon my soul!

: ll those who lent aid to Balbatos's blood war were ogres...ogres in men's flesh!

: You blame his eminence? it was you upon the field of battle! You who mistook friend or foe!

: You speak as though your own hands were not stained dark with the blood of innocents!

: Innocents? Do not brand me with your iron, traitor! I fought only the enemies of this kingdom...gnawing vermin like you, who place the blame for their own sins upon our lord!

This seems almost a lovers quarrel.

Are you absolutely sure this is supposed to be Jeunan? I feel like that should be Levi talking but I'm not sure. Also, I think that should say All.

tithin posted:

He whips Levi again.

Wrong uniqueman.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Apollinaire is speaking TO Levi ABOUT Jenuan. Jenuan is the one whose "sword is wet with the blood of innocents, and his boots dark with the ashes of their village".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

akkristor posted:

Apollinaire is speaking TO Levi ABOUT Jenuan. Jenuan is the one whose "sword is wet with the blood of innocents, and his boots dark with the ashes of their village".

I honestly cannot remember any names of locations in this game so I'm constantly having trouble with the plot of this game. I thought he was talking about Jenuan making a mistake backing Levi and detailing reasons why he should be killing Levi instead of working with him. I thought he was talking about Levi's sins, not his.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

RareAcumen posted:

I honestly cannot remember any names of locations in this game so I'm constantly having trouble with the plot of this game. I thought he was talking about Jenuan making a mistake backing Levi and detailing reasons why he should be killing Levi instead of working with him. I thought he was talking about Levi's sins, not his.

Jeunan is also a war criminal. We'll see a bit more on that later (unless that got written out of the remake, but so far the remake seems to've only ADDED stuff, not removed stuff.)

Basically everyone in Tactics Ogre is a war criminal, but some of them are on your side.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Walister did nothing wrong :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FairGame posted:

Jeunan is also a war criminal. We'll see a bit more on that later (unless that got written out of the remake, but so far the remake seems to've only ADDED stuff, not removed stuff.)

I mean, we know he's done some ethnic cleansing.

But that's about it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

All this must hit pretty close to home for our protagonist here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eh, fair enough. Who's actually going to believe hierophant took his own life?

And are they abandoning everybody to let Vyce run free?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

Eh, fair enough. Who's actually going to believe hierophant took his own life?

And are they abandoning everybody to let Vyce run free?

nah.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Been busy with RL poo poo of late so haven't had much of a chance to play - have the day off tommorow so hoping to get an update done then.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 10 - A necessary detour
Sub-title: lessons in dodging

HOLLA HOLLA, IT'S THE NEWS.

Coritanae got proper smashed hey guv.

Coritanae having fallen, The Galgastan peasantry has gone over to the resistance near entirely. Turns out that the resistance sings a sweet song that war is a fools game.

There's scattered remnants of the Galgastan army still roaming the countryside to hold us off while their main host captures Almorica which is ...

now in the hands of a complete war criminal. Not that Levi's one to cast aspersions on one mans ability to commit a war crime, but still doesn't bode well for our peeps.

-----------//-----------

We've two routes back to Almorica, The Psonji Weald, or Lake Bordu

So let's go to neither because we're going to finish off a sidequest instead.

For some reason, these images appear to have sidebars when I'm viewing them on lpix, but they don't have them on my PC, so uh, if it bothers people, I'll see what went wrong and try to fix it for next time.

: I owe you an apology, Ravness. I thought you could not be trusted. Forgive me.

: You're kind, but there's naught to forgive. Now go. See to our young lord of Coritanae.

Flanked on both sides, must feel oddly familiar for Ravness.

: I did not think Coritanae would fall so swift.

: Walister lies! Shut your ears to their slander. Seize the woman, slay the rest!

Not an assassination mission this time so much as a Genocide mission

Enemy composition

Yellow
H. Knight x3
H. Archer x4
H. Wizard x2
H. Cleric x2
H. Warrior
H. Valkyrie
Green
Ravness (Valkyrie)

-----------//-----------

: Sir Leonar gave his life to make it so.

: Balmamusa, Sir Leonar...how many more must I send to their death?

: A brave man, Sir Leonar. I knew him well. He would bear any dishonor for his country.

: She's no enemy of ours.

: Easy, Levi. Sir Briam told me all. A Walister Knight who toils for Galgastan is a rare creature indeed.

: What do you mean?

: I'd sooner have the tale from her, but she'll not talk if she's dead.

: I see you've not changed, Canopus.

: Not as you have. There's a rose in your cheeks.

: It suits you. You had a grim look when first we met at Almorica.

: I was confused about a great many things. But no longer.

This seems like the sort of line Donnalto should have now.

Anyway after this volley of conversation, we unleash a volley of arrows.

HEALBOT's gonna be babysitting Ravness this fight.

Snipette's not getting 100% to hit anymore, eh..

Kilmotos drops a stun on the enemy knights and archer, only hits one of the Knights though.

: But who am I to fault him for that?

Literally the right person. You called him on his bullshit, tried to murder us to convince us to stop, then left.

: You're too hard on yourself.

What's this "we" bullshit, you had nothing to do with it. Am I thick, or is there something missing here?

Kilmotos' spellchance to hit gets loving slaughtered.

Donnalto gets too eager and pushes the first enemy knight away from him before murdering him. Slow down old man, they're not going nowhere.

Ravness remains extremely good at Blocking / Dodging, but there's a new queen in town.

Martine will proceed to block every single arrow sent at her as she scales the mountain to begin her murder rampage. I'm not going to share every screenshot, but needless to say, Martine's badass for a generic.

Oh boy, more talking.

Snipette sends an arrow over the hill to murder a priest.

Donnalto gets axed a question, which connects.

The enemies right flank is utterly collapsing while their left hits the rise of the mountain to sweep down on us.

We're utterly loving demolishing them, while dodging like loving Neo.

I think this is the first time Nerraw's hit triple digits damage. That's actually pretty impressive.

He's eaten a LOT of int cards.

Of course our archers completely outclass him for damage, but he doesn't fill their niche. I'm sure OFS will touch on that during one of their class overviews.

The enemies closest flank falls, leaving a single Cleric standing.

Martine's basically a mix of Wolverine and a second Wolverine at this point.

Our team continue claiming scalps. At this point we're on cleanup duty, so I'll skip to the end.

(it was +Vit)

: Dame Ravness! Are you all right?

-----------//-----------

why

Like, cards on the table, this is my first time seeing this as we're now passed where I played on my own law play through - but this seems like it was written to happen much much earlier than when you can actually do it. This fight doesn't open up until Coritanae's been captured.

It's not a secret that not everyone in Galgastan wanted to loving murder the entire Wallister people. It's been mentioned several times as a plot point.

Either Levi's as thick as two planks of wood slapped together or this recruitment section's poorly thought out.

Or secret third option, I'm the one who's as thick as two planks of wood I suppose.

: To what end?

: The lord of Coritanae is the rightful ruler of Galgastan.

: Heirophant Balbatos is merely his steward.

: As the young lord was not yet of age, Balbatos was free to reshape Galgastan as he saw fit. The poor child was a piece in a game he scarce knew existed.

: We had hoped to reach him before your assault on Coritanae.

: Where is he now?

: Balbatos's enemies shelter him. With Coritanae sacked and Balbatos dead, I should think they'll take him to Brigantys. A great many of their number hold the castle.

See my earlier rant for why this shouldn't be a god drat surprise.

She's got rank 2 in everything BUT Deflect, which is rank 3.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Okey dokey now.

Ravness is technically one of the more powerful characters in the game.

Why do you ask?

Stats can be improved and classes can be changed, but all characters but your basic generics have a CT modifier (CT being that value that determines when your characters go). Her CT value is only surpassed by one other character, so besides that one character she'll almost always go first and will go more often then most characters.

It also helps that Valkyries take a BIG giant leap in killing power right before the end-game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. Looks like we're fighting to be the law. ...this probably won't go over well with Vyse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Another disclaimer: some classes have different names depending on the gender of the unit. This is purely cosmetic.

Wizard/Enchantress

"I don't know how they expect me to grow a 3-foot ashen beard right on class change, but I dare not show up without one, you know?"

Races: Human, Winged, Lamia, Orc, Skeleton, Ghost
RT: 25 Move: 3 Jump: 1/2 Move Cost: 5/tile
Weapons: Basic Daggers, Cudgels, Caldia
Armor: Light
Magic: Air, Earth, Lightning, Water, Fire, Ice, Dark
Missile, Indirect, Status, Drain
Support: Fortify II, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike III, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge III, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution III, Insight IV, Expand Mind IV, Channeling IV
Other: Reflect Damage II, Absorb MP II
Action: Meditate, Conserve RT, Engulf
Special: N/A

The Wizard/Enchantress is your first dedicated elemental spellcaster, and for most of the game the only one whose classmarks you can obtain without wanting to die. Standard rpg tropes apply, Wizards have noodle arms and tender fragile flesh, and they only get casty sticks and flowy casty robes. The damage spells are not really exceptional until later, when you get higher ranks of Spellcraft and access to elemental augmenting stuff for big damage, and AoE indirects to hit more than one enemy at once. Thankfully, until that happens wizards can fling statuses on allies and enemies. As the enemy regularly disregards Spell Ward, you can often get 100% hit rates, and swing the flow of battle in your favor pretty easily. A well placed Balmy Breeze or Petrifog can take out 3 enemies at once, and a good Stormspark or Petriburst can make that dragon at which you are chipping away not use Toxic Breath, or you just Brimstone or Stunslay them out of it, or Charm them into using it on the enemy. Or you could support your own team with Quench or Protect, because they have a few token support spells in each element. When the damage starts to pick up, well...

The Wizard is outclassed by several other classes. And I don't mean the way the Warrior is, where other classes fill the niche. I mean, these classes literally do everything the Wizard does and more. Witches have access to Spellbooks and Draconic Magic, Necromancers have lower RT and Necromancy, Matriarchs get real knives and summons, and don't get me started on special classes, they just make Wizard look like a chump. Statistically every one of them beats the Wizard in Int and/or Mind, making them straight better better at casting, even.

So what about their actions? Conserve RT would be okay except it costs quite a bit of RT itself, rendering the exercise pointless. Engulf is a hefty range boost but range is rarely the problem, except when using spells the Wizard can't learn, and it costs a lot of TP, which is best spent on the remaining action, Meditate. Meditate costs a simple 15 TP, so little they can use it frequently just off of natural regen, and it recovers 5 MP per rank. Even at base that's enough to help supplement a lot of casting. Eventually it might rank up (which takes forever) and you can boost its rank by up to 4 with equipment, providing a lot of MP for a lot of casting. This sounds like an ace-in-the-hole for the Wizard, but... every other dedicated elemental caster gets Meditate. Witch, Necromancer, Matriarch, even special classes like Warren's Astromancer. Thus after a point the Wizard's only real job is providing the magic command skills and Meditate to better classes.

So where the Warrior is technically fine but effectively outclassed, there's no real point to using a Wizard once anything better presents itself. They just don't get anything to themselves.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah.....

Wizards really got the shaft in the remake.

It's useful to level them up a little bit so you can get the lizard/lamia recruiting skill though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 11 - The most difficult of choices

So we've got two places we can go.

Psonji has shitloads of dragons and beasts. Bordu has a necromancer.

I just love how much joy these necromancers take in raising the dead, such generic evil.

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Muntzer.

Yellow
Muntzer (Necromancer)
R. Matriarch x2
R. Juggernaut
R. Archer
S. Knight x2
Cockatrice
Purple
Z. Berserker, Z. Warrior, Z. Valkyrie, and Z. Terror Knight all stilled (felled).

An easy enough fight, the enemy starting force is small, they've got four stilled reinforcements we have to exorcise before they wake up. But the enemy is a necromancer, so standard reinforcement rules apply - go for the throat.

Donnalto takes up the tools of his old trade for a bit, while sharpening the tools of his new trade in anticipation.

Because we exorcised some of her stuff, she summons up some more.

These cards are all in the shallows, so only Lenneth can get them.

Kilmotos drones on a bit and puts the enemy Matriarch to sleep, meanwhile the enemy team gets stuck into old man Donnalto.

Truckin' and fuckin' and exorcisin'

It's the Lenneth Way

That's all that Muntzer can do, summon reinforcements and hit for an attack that would be weak even at the start of the game. I mean, at least the damage is consistent to be fair.

The enemy matriarchs turn out to be archer types, taking decent damage shots at Kilmotos and Donnalto and knocking Donnalto down to about half health ish.

This is the most damage we've taken in some time now that I come to think of it.

We push back hard - meanwhile so as to prevent any nasty surprises, Kilmotos drops a Shadow Guard on Donnalto so he doesn't get ganked but consecutive attacks.

Which is good because the enemy then tries to drop a Petriburst (AoE Shadow Petrify attack) on him. It only had a ~33% chance to hit, and I don't know if that's because Donnalto's the avatar of murder, or because of the Shadow Guard buff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BEHOLD, THE TYRANTS MACE - THE LEVEL 1 FINISHER FOR THE HAMM--

*fart*

What sort of Necromancer fears death?

She turns into a Raven and flies away.

Levi, meanwhile doesn't give a gently caress about that and presses his forces on.

Onwards to Tynemouth Hill

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Also, I added OFS class overviews to the index on the first page.

Thanks for keeping up with them, they're good work.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Going into fights with lots of dragons can be useful, as recruiting dragons can be useful in the long run.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Going into fights with lots of dragons can be useful, as recruiting dragons can be useful in the long run.

Yep, but that's not something I'm going to worry about for a while

besides, I don' even have a beast tamer levelled

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Undead do have an advantage in the swamps, don't they? Ghosts flow right over and skeletons are just fancy water gates when you get right down to it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Patriarch

"The patriarchy is real, and it operates under the explicit threat of knife violence!"

Races: Lizard, Lamia, Orc
RT: 26 Move: 4 Jump: 1/2 Move Cost: 5/tile Innate Wade
Weapons: Daggers, 1h Cudgels
Armor: Medium, Wizard hats
Magic: Air, Earth, Lightning, Water, Fire, Ice, Dark
Missile, Indirect, Summon, Status, Drain
Support: Counterattack I, Fortify II, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike III, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge III, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution III, Insight IV, Expand Mind IV, Channeling IV
Other: Wade II, Reflect Damage II, Absorb MP II
Action: Meditate, Gluttony, Irresistible Beauty, Intercession, Ivory Tower
Special: N/A

A mage class only available to demihumans, getting a good Patriarch is hard at first since you have to Coax a lizard to even have someone who can become one, but it may eventually pay off. Their base RT is low enough to make up for no unique characters accessing the class, and they have plenty of advantages over the human mages. First, their little bonus over the wizard's spell list is summons, multi-hit indirect spells that are the best single-best single-target damage in the entire game, except maybe double attack or the crossbow finisher Death Wail. They still get Meditate and Wizard Hat +1s to sustain it! Second, they get full access to knives and decent dex, meaning their physical damage can keep up decently. They won't be heavy dps with them but it's enough to matter, especially when they get elemental daggers that key off the same augments their magic use. Counterattack I even helps a little. Third, Intercession and Ivory Tower are actually good uses of TP if you aren't slamming Meditates, being some really potent defensive moves. And just to top it off, they have a base 4 move and innate wading.

However, their armor is medium instead of robes, and elemental coats boost str, dex, and agil instead of int and mind, and no elemental knives boost int. They still get magic sticks but they're invariably taking a hit to their magic potential by missing robes. While they're the best generic class for magic attack with summons, there's a particular special class that is so good at it it's kinda gross. Using a Patriarch is to compromise raw magical potential for their other bonuses. Sturdier defenses, decent physical attack, good action skills, movement, and summons. And I guess putting up with some of LUCT's dumb systems to even get one into action. It also takes elemental gear and summons for them to really have a point. By then, is it worth this cute thing when you have special mages who get some real hosed up tricks?

Also I keep trying one as an ice specialist since the Predator Knife is a really good knife but Ice has the worst status spells and I should just accept a damasc dagger +1 until I get Yama or something and get real status spells instead of loving jokes like numbing cold or icy focus and gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Lamia's call this class Matriarch.

They're also better at since Lamia have better base int than lizards.