Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

waah posted:

Oh I have them all good sir. I'm just going to get all the drops again so that I can show them off in a SSLP. I'm stupid, but I'm not that stupid.

I already have to do the PoTD at least 1 1/2 more times why do you hate me

You suffering brings us joy.

That's why.

Seriously though, thanks for continuing this

Actually seeing those items will be a new thing for me. I did the PoTD the amount of times I needed to do get through the Coda, so no fireseal for instance. I've never seen the bulk of those items because even MY limits of bullshit had a max.

Looking forward to seeing these items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I love you guys and gals, and since I'm a couple months behind where I really wanted to be, and I wanted to test out a new laptop, I give you an early Christmas gift. I know Nybeth is popular because of FF14, so... enjoy a video version of the final fight of the Palace of the Dead.

Don't worry, I don't talk and the AI squad is still active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_F8Am1pJs

I also edited it into the Episode 11 post

waah fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 29, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Oh wow, I figured Magic Time was useless and never used it. Please post all the quotes. :allears:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

I love you guys and gals, and since I'm a couple months behind where I really wanted to be, and I wanted to test out a new laptop, I give you an early Christmas gift. I know Nybeth is popular because of FF14, so... enjoy a video version of the final fight of the Palace of the Dead.

Don't worry, I don't talk and the AI squad is still active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_F8Am1pJs

I also edited it into the Episode 11 post

You're doing gods work.

Because I won't :greenangel:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

You're doing gods work.

Because I won't :greenangel:

Can I get you to update the OP with links through Ep 11? I won't bother you again until something major like end of CODA 2 and San Bronsa or something else that's easily 5 or 6 updates.

mauman posted:

You suffering brings us joy.

That's why

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Oh wow, I figured Magic Time was useless and never used it. Please post all the quotes. :allears:

If I didn't know any better I'd say you all sat in a discord server and tried to find new ways to get me to say gently caress it, I'm quitting. No lie, floor 67 was the closest to getting me to quit. If that didn't do it, nothing will.

I'm trying for more Christmas miracles here, so lord willing we're might get an update or two this month in addition the one a couple days ago.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You are a madman for putting up with all of this bullshit.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

Can I get you to update the OP with links through Ep 11? I won't bother you again until something major like end of CODA 2 and San Bronsa or something else that's easily 5 or 6 updates.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you all sat in a discord server and tried to find new ways to get me to say gently caress it, I'm quitting. No lie, floor 67 was the closest to getting me to quit. If that didn't do it, nothing will.

I'm trying for more Christmas miracles here, so lord willing we're might get an update or two this month in addition the one a couple days ago.

Thanks for reminding me, honestly I'd forgotten about the index. Done.

Hunt11 posted:

You are a madman for putting up with all of this bullshit.

loving oath.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I hope you guys like the Palace of the Dead, because I'm having trouble finding any way to not make the next few story updates about it. I've adjusted the road map to mix in a few mechanics updates since a few posts on the last few pages have let me realize there's a lot that people never played with or skills they never tried.

So if there's some wacky skill you want shown off or don't understand how it works, ask about it, I'll get around to it for one of the mechanics updates. Deneb's magic time is already in the works, so that's one is a given.

Also, I uhhhh never got the uniques from floor 101-115 and since you guys hate me, I have to actually play through those floors manually.

I hate you all.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I did those :ssh:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD Episode 12 – Shang Tsung's Favorite Game Mechanic

Where are we?

Currently we’re riding high after beating down Nybeth and finishing the Palace of the Dead. We are still in Chapter 4, Law time line and it’s time to get a little fresh air and get away from the stuffy PoTD. All that death and destruction is just too heavy. So, we’re going to talk about something less heavy like cursed weapons!

…Oh.

Hidden deep in the PoTD are cursed weapons. Earliest you could possibly get one is on floor 51, a cursed bow. They are unique items meaning you can only have one at a time, no hoarding them.

The first thing you’ll notice is that they have no stats. Literally none. Then what’s the purpose of them and what does that text at the top of the screen mean when it says: “An axe enchanted by forbidden arts. Strongest when flesh and soul are sealed within the weapon”?

Well, this is Tactics Ogre and you already know where this is going. This here is Hamon. He was marginally useful generic in our army before I got lizards to fill our ranks. As such, he’s gained a few levels and has a couple stats right near 40. Which is better than a raw recruit.

We equip the cursed axe on him and leave him with his standard loadout. He doesn’t have any real good equipment because he’s been sitting on the side lines for the last… many… hours.

Time to go into battle to see what this thing can do. We’ll send him with a bunch of beasts because I enjoy beast units, don’t judge me.

You know, every other unique weapon has a cool effect when you use it in battle, lets see what this one does. I bet it does something cool like a dark magic missile attack or maybe even a summon.

“A secret and forbidden art that seals the heart and soul of a SINGLE TARGET within a weapon.”

:black101:

Heck yeah, we get to imprison our enemies in this thing! It’s going to be so awesome.

Wait, why is it only 100% with no range?
No. No, no way Tactics Ogre is this bleak.

No. :stonk:

No loving way, he disappeared. If we check the unit list, he’s not there anymore. He’s literally disappeared.

Before:

After:

However, if we open up the items and scroll down the list of axes in our inventory…

You sacrifice your guy to become a unique weapon. The weapon is named after the unit you sacrificed to make sure you remember how much of a monster you are. IF YOU ARE GOING FOR AN ALL TITLES OR A NO-INCAP RUN THIS WILL COUNT AGAINST YOU

But let’s look at this closer. The level requirement for a cursed weapon is level 1, so that’s pretty awesome, but look at what happens. The cursed weapon literally raises every stat by at least 17 points. That’s like really good. It does crushing damage, fire damage, and extra damage to humans (that’s what each of those icons mean in order). The Hamon axe raises the equipping unit’s HP and MP 18 and 11 points respectively.

Compare "Hamon" to the Rune Axe and notice in comparison to the Rune Axe here that there isn’t any weight on the cursed weapon. But the Rune Axe has doesn’t raise as many base stats, but it’s ATK score is much higher than Hamon. If we take the two into battle, the Hamon axe will do far less damage than the Rune Axe. So, what’s the catch?

Well, if we go and look at our equipment totals, we’ll notice that all of the equipment on Hamon is gone too. We’re cheap AF, and can’t give away equipment so lets re-load and have Hamon use the cursed weapon without wearing any equipment. He won’t mind. Well, even if he does, he doesn’t exactly have a choice.

We go back with our monster squad and do it all over again.

And voila, we get a cursed weapon with… different parameters?

This one has piercing damage, still fire damage, and extra damage to beasts? But the RT is lower! Yep, the way that RT for a cursed weapon is calculated is based on the equipment a unit is wearing. So, the optimal way to do this is to send them into battle naked for the best possible cursed weapon stats.

So, lets do this again with Hamon to try for a more favorable mix of stats but by himself so that we don’t have to wait through the random battle.

Same process and…

Oh. Wow. Using a cursed weapon on a single character is one of the ways in this game to get a hard game over. So, we won’t be doing that again. But we’ll have Hamon try one more time because I’m sure he’s going to give us something better this time.

Maybe you’re starting to suspect there’s a pattern here and you’d be right. Basically, according to Game FAQs poster Woofrikinhaw in his post here:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/59045605

Each class has a certain set of parameters that influence what the outcome of a specific cursed weapon can be. And of course, with this lightning set we somehow broke the rules for what can be accomplished. There’s more to it, but his/her guide is a pretty good bench mark.
No, we will NOT be trying for the holy grail of a wind fusil. I am dumb and do grindy things, but that’s even beyond my level of bullshit tolerance.

What if we went for a more powerful character to sacrifice?

You can see Huoh here, he’s been inserted in some of the fights along this LP. You can tell from his base stats that are in the 40s and 50s that’s he’s seen significant playtime and he’s one of my more beloved characters.
LET’S COLDLY TRAP HIS BODY AND SOUL IN A WEAPON FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!!!!!

So, in this case again we get fire because of the warrior class, and beast damage, but did you notice the extra damage points are higher? As well as the base stats way higher? However, in order to even get to this level of power, you have to devote a lot of time to raising a unit in hopes to sacrifice a hundred or so hours later.

Let’s ride this ridiculousness train out all the way. It’s time to do the unthinkable.

Been nice knowing you guys…

And well Tactics Ogre doesn’t let you screw over yourself that badly. Unique characters can’t be sacrificed, so no being petty and sacrificing Cistina to get revenge for her suicidal AI.

Alright, so we’ve shown you all the weird things here with sacrificing your units, here’s what we actually did with Hamon.

We made him into a cursed whip. Why a cursed whip? Well Deneb can natively use whips. While a wand of fire or malitza staff can do certain things like add an extra level of Augment Fire, or be used as an item to gain magic points, they also increase Deneb’s RT. This cursed whip with a pretty decent boost to her intelligence raises her magic attack and makes her faster.

Before:

After:

So, as you can see, Deneb’s roughly 20% faster, and slightly stronger in her magic attacks. That’s a big deal.

And as you can see, with their current setups, Deneb is even faster than Ozma.

However, why is Folcurt so fast? Well he has a cursed weapon too.

Lastly, let’s see what a fresh recruit does with a cursed weapon.

This seems like a good name.

Poor Tfab’s stats are really garbage.

And you can see here that everything is just much lower than Hamon and Huoh. This is why I say the cursed weapons like the cursed spell book, whip, and items that benefit magic users more so than melee weapons. The way the damage formulas work, you have a hard time breaking the damage threshold to do more than a few points of damage with melee cursed weapons unless you sacrifice a very powerful unit.

As a spoiler of how :swoon: Deneb is now this is her cutting a swath through everything. Her AI is still set to caster, but she’s getting a turn so fast that she’s just a buzz saw.

Also, this happened:

I’m sure they will. I’m sure they will.

Tactics Ogre, you are too perfect.

Next update: Back to the grind!

waah fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 5, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I always thought it was funny that curse weapons were better for casters than physical units.

The exception being the cursed 2handed bow....which can be used by Ninja for some odd reason. As you could imagine this can be seriously abused. And Ninja are also very potent spell casters by this point in the game, so it's not like you're not getting the spell casting bonus for said Ninja as well.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's an impressive amount of edginess, even for this game. I mean, it's an interesting mechanic, but still.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Solumin posted:

That's an impressive amount of edginess, even for this game. I mean, it's an interesting mechanic, but still.

Don't you worry. There is still one more absurd and cartoonishly complicated things we still have to do before this is all over. I honestly can't think of any single way you accomplish it under 200 hours for something so inconsequential for a mechanic that the developers bothered to code into the game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The act of grinding a character up to turn into an effective melee Cursed Weapon would make them broken anyway. Then you have to sacrifice them to get the weapon, equip it on another character (who is likely also broken) just to be double-broken. It’s absurd, even for this game. I did my all titles run without ever using a Cursed Weapon. The caster weapons are fun though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bregor posted:

The act of grinding a character up to turn into an effective melee Cursed Weapon would make them broken anyway. Then you have to sacrifice them to get the weapon, equip it on another character (who is likely also broken) just to be double-broken. It’s absurd, even for this game. I did my all titles run without ever using a Cursed Weapon. The caster weapons are fun though.

Which is why with the exception of maybe the bow (since you can do something unique with it) It's not worth it other than for caster stats.

To make a weapon comparable to even semi-end game weapons you need to do some hefty grinding. To make it better than even the best of the best would mean you just sacrificed a tiny god :downs:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

My understanding is that cursed weapons were easier to get to god like status in the Japanese version than the US (and presumably PAL) version.

According to what I've read in the JP version, when you collected a tarot card, it raised your stats a full point. In the American version your stats raise roughly 0.1 to 0.3 points per tarot card with some exceptions. Those being the Emperor (HP +1 <-> 5 pts), Empress (MP +1 <-> +5) Lovers (Loyalty +1 <-> +5 points), and Devil (Luck +/- up to 15 points) and any other card that does a simliar stat that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I also believe that gaining a level in the JP version gave a higher boost to base stats per level.

So basically with tarot card grinding and the leveling stat boosts in the JP version you could somewhat quickly take a random dude and imprison his soul into an overpowered weapon.

Vvv Edit: I have a few cursed weapons and I named them after either my friends or other weird names. I shoulda posted the legendary spear Ke$ha

waah fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 6, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The Legendary Sword of Dave

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

waah posted:

According to what I've read in the JP version, when you collected a tarot card, it raised your stats a full point. In the American version your stats raise roughly 0.1 to 0.3 points per tarot card with some exceptions. Those being the Emperor (HP +1 <-> 5 pts), Empress (MP +1 <-> +5) Lovers (Loyalty +1 <-> +5 points), and Devil (Luck +/- up to 15 points) and any other card that does a simliar stat that I can't think of off the top of my head.

If I recall, this was compensated for in Japan by some kind of horrific job levelling mechanic.

Something about guys recruited early gaining huge bonus stats by being present when a job class levelled up?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Those devs really love awful and arcane mechanics, don't they.

They probably do animal sacrifices on an altar dedicated to awful 70s and 80s RPG design.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
If you really want to number grind, the RT requirement on Cursed Weapons decreases if they're wearing the Crest of Fire . It's the only equipment that affects cursed stats, and it shaves off 5 RT. Also, it does not consume the equipment.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Andyzero posted:

If you really want to number grind, the RT requirement on Cursed Weapons decreases if they're wearing the Crest of Fire . It's the only equipment that affects cursed stats, and it shaves off 5 RT. Also, it does not consume the equipment.

I did not know that. I shoulda tried it to make Deneb even more OP.

If any of you know where one can find a copy of the Japanese version to play with, let me know.

waah fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 8, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can't resist saying that I miss this LP.

Edit: No, I have not been drinking.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

I can't resist saying that I miss this LP.

Edit: No, I have not been drinking.

There may be a snow day or two here today. That is encouraging for an update in the near future.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So I'm going to give you guys a little treat here for being patient and sticking with this as I've finally given up on CHARIOTING the rare drops and just making the effort to finish off CODA 2.

Minor spoilers here on who the final boss of this chapter is and what he does, but if you're read the thread so far you already know.

We load up our mega characters, who are at this point cold blooded killing machines with the stats of Gods. Piece of cake. Behold, the ending battle of CODA 2:

https://youtu.be/gDss_Fslwfo

: ... gently caress. Well that could have went better. Run that back.

https://youtu.be/JSC4uYeTp_Y

: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKK

Ladies and gents, welcome to the hands down hardest fight in the game. We got an update or two to get to this point, but suffice it to say, I'm going to see these lines of dialogue a lot over the next week. Oh, and getting all the relevant lines of conversation out of this battle without having the most important guy die, will require serious shenanigans and class changes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you want to show off rare drops, why not just use Drop All Items?

I mean, the right guy still has to spawn, but after that...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Tallgeese posted:

I am entirely in favour of this. Next time I play through Earthbound, I am using the same sort of code to make those bastards in the volcano drop Star Pendants, rather than rely on the RNG.

I consider fighting the RNG in games bad design, and I say "cheat"

Prowler
May 24, 2004

waah posted:

: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKK

Ugh. It's Riovannes Rooftop x 10.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Tallgeese posted:

I was still in the mindset that CHARIOTing for drops was okay cause it doesn't bother me too much. It was kinda relaxing. But the combination of doing CHARIOT AND a SSLP became a bridge to far.

If the VITA had a better screenshot function all would be forgiven.

Also, I really wanted to make it the battle ended before he even moved, but cheesing Deneb and the guest's equipment felt a like rigging the game too much

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I mean the obvious answer is to go in with a minimal contingent but christ almighty that doesn't look fun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

waah posted:

“A secret and forbidden art that seals the heart and soul of a SINGLE TARGET within a weapon.”

:black101:

Heck yeah, we get to imprison our enemies in this thing! It’s going to be so awesome.

Wait, why is it only 100% with no range?
No. No, no way Tactics Ogre is this bleak.

No. :stonk:

No loving way, he disappeared. If we check the unit list, he’s not there anymore. He’s literally disappeared.

It's like baby's first Snapdragon.

For people who didn't play the SNES/PSX version, or Knight of Lodis on the GBA: A level 50 character snapdragon'd in to a weapon (especially if they leveled with warrior gear to max their luck) was hilariously OP. Reanimate+retissue a few times and your'd have a weapon that broke the game completely. Angel Knights turned in to divine weapons via Snapdragon too (i assume they make divine cursed weapons here?).

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

I mean the obvious answer is to go in with a minimal contingent but christ almighty that doesn't look fun.

To be fair doing this battle the second time is many order of magnitudes easier than the 1st time.

There are lots of reasons why and I'll explain it in an update when i actually do this part but it's still no walk in the park.

At least the game isn't cruel enough to make this battle one of the ones that needs no incaps.

Doing without CHARIOT is hard enough. especially with the hard game over when that character dies.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's like baby's first Snapdragon.

For people who didn't play the SNES/PSX version, or Knight of Lodis on the GBA: A level 50 character snapdragon'd in to a weapon (especially if they leveled with warrior gear to max their luck) was hilariously OP. Reanimate+retissue a few times and your'd have a weapon that broke the game completely. Angel Knights turned in to divine weapons via Snapdragon too (i assume they make divine cursed weapons here?).

A Divine Knight creates a light-element cursed weapon that's strong against Divine enemies.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD EPISODE 13 – With Friends Like These

Welcome back to the Tactics Ogre Post Game SSLP! We’ve been moving at a glacial pace, mainly because of me. However, we finally completed all 100 floors of the Palace of the Dead, crushed Nybeth into the dirt, and in general we continue to trod forward into the post-game content.

Where are we?

Since it’s been a while since I’ve picked this LP up to try to get it across the post-game finish line, Christ it’s been almost a year to date we’ll do a quick refresher on what’s happened so far in this thread.

Tithin completed the actual game, which is a herculean task to begin with. He completed over 70 updates in SSLP form to complete the game and give us a complete game. We would not be doing this part of the LP without him and his tireless work. He then decided to continue into the post-game and ran into what can only be accurately called, the soul crushing tedium of the CODA. Because I am stupid and I love this game at an unhealthy level, I decided to pick up the game. Since then, we’ve beat chapter 1 of the CODA, discussed all the reasons why the game hates you and will not let you start CODA chapter 2, time traveled back in time to complete a side quest with the best story in the game, and grinded through 100 floors of the Palace of the Dead to finally be prepared for this moment, the start of CODA chapter 2.
Ideally, we would have been doing CODA chapter 2 last uhh… July.

:negative:

And with that…

We fast forward all the way through the rest of Chapter 4, and CODA 1 thanks to the magic of planning and anchor points. If not for this planning, then yes, we would have had to play through a significant part of the game again to reset the anchor points. So, after all of those words, and an unbelievable amount of battles, grinding and preparation, I bring you…

Back in World Episode 3 – I Immediately Regret This Decision was the setup for this chapter, so read that to understand why we are only just now going after Warren.

And to go get Warren, we’ll need to go back to the… PALACE OF THE DEAD!!!!!
:suicide:

Of course, all of the floors reset once you leave the Palace of the Dead, so are you ready to do all 100 floors over again?

I know I am!!!!!

Wait, what’s this? Provided you beat the Palace of the Dead, and you pass an anchor spot on the main story, the game will mark the Palace of the Dead as cleared and you can use the Palace Guides to skip floors. If you do not see this screen, you don’t have a clear flag, and trying to do CODA 2 is useless. You can also decide to *NOT* use the Palace Guide, in which case you’ll have to fight the levels as normal.

Guess which one we’re doing?

Don Quioxte will do the teleport thing and magically appear at this next screen.

Now if only we could have done this the first time.

This isn’t so bad.
See this screen right here?

If you are a madman going for the all titles run, you’re going to be very familiar with this screen right here. As previously discussed, you use your palace guides to get here and then grind for Orichalcum and Daedalus Rack and Pinions. We are not doing that. gently caress no.

I actually remember to take a picture of the teleport effect on this stage, enjoy.

However, floor 75 is as far as you can go. You have to battle it out the rest of the way as far as CODA 2 is concerned. If you miss seeing pictures of those floors, feel free to check out the last major story update, Creepiness is Next to Lichiness back in… November? :cripes:

Anyways, our goal here is to get to floor 88.

You can see that Deneb is ready for to get this show on the road.

: I mislike the feel of this place

You’re going to notice a trend here in the CODA 2. Don Quixote goes from being a pretty good character who’s sure of himself and a bad rear end general into a knuckle dragging barely functioning idiot for the purposes of the plot.

Thus, the Don Quixote Dunce Counter:

Don Quixote Dunce Count: 1

God drat it Tactics Ogre, if you go full on Mass Effect 3 and give me colored explosions after doing all of this grinding, I’m going to find every single developer of this game and…
: What?

: What are you talking about?

I’m not sure if this is just a common thing in Japanese culture, or if the devs of this and Mass Effect 3 were talking to each other since these two games came out around the same time, but jeez.
I’ll spare you the suspense though, the end of CODA 4 is far more satisfying than any loose end that Mass Effect 3 tied up, including the Citadel DLC. Just stick with me, at this pace we should be finishing the post-game right around the time… climate change puts Miami, Florida under 10 feet of sea water.

More fighting happens, and our next target floor is floor 98. Don’t worry about floor 100, there’s nothing important, useful, or cool there. Nope, not at all.

:frogsiren: AWWWW YEAH STORY BATTLE TIME LADIES AND GENTS :frogsiren:

Kandyce is the guardian of floor 98, but only when you are on Chapter 2 of the CODA. Otherwise, this is just a random floor as we’ve seen in a previous update. She looks like one of the Heavenly Generals, but does not drop anything useful.

Heck, her actual equipment is garbage too.

So the battle unfolds as you’d expect until…

Uhh… I didn’t cast that spell.

Oh, right, this guardian of the Palace of the Dead can use extremely powerful divine magic and summons. Riiiight.

Are you loving kidding me? This is the same magic attack that I thought was exclusive to the final boss of the game and the player with a certain unique item.

Oh, right, she doesn’t have the stats or equipment to make a dent in our overpowered death squad. Whew.
She dies without any cool death lines or saying and all of a sudden, a hidden door opens up. Welcome to the entrance of floors 101-115 of the Palace of the Dead fellow goons.

Hmm… do you think Don Quixote? Do you think?

My plan here was to show off the rare drops exclusive to CODA chapter since, it’s “Just 13 floors of drops to farm”.
Dumb Waah. Dumb dumb Waah. No, we do not volunteer to CHARIOT farm on an SSLP of this game.
Instead see a few cool screens as we attempt to crush some pretty hard maps that are just reused maps from the original PoTD.

Thunderbird 2 is the lightning summon. Think of it as Slyphide, but with lighting.

Deneb’s Magic Time quotes are all that’s keeping the party going at this point.

You’ll see here that Vyce has 6 stars of luck. He needs to have 7 if I’m realistically farming for drops. I can’t say that it’s supported with actual game data, but anecdotally, having 7 stars of luck on my characters has made farming rare drops easier.

Before I gave up, we did end up with this from a character on floor 101.

On floor 102, this character is useful

Take her down for the Wiseman’s Staff

Deneb, again, is sick of this bullshit and decides to basically drop a nuke on the battle field.

I’m not exaggerating.

Thanks Deneb.
Floor 103 is a shop.

Sadly, it’s not like the shop sells anything fancy or rare, just the usual for what you’d have in the other shops in the Palace of the Dead. It’s mainly here so you can replenish your items.

This fucker right here is the one who ruined you guys seeing the rest of the rare drops. He’s supposed to drop the Golok. He wouldn’t

This map, is story battle.

But the story doesn’t trigger until you slaughter all of your enemies.

You gotta admit, that kid is really creepy.

And he straight up disappears again. Cheap tricks.

This floor 105? is again reused assets, from a different angle.

Floor 106 again, has nothing special.

For floor 107, I decided to send in old friends.

Floor 108 looks like this:

Floor 109 is an old “favorite” map in POTD.

I’m literally dead too from all this grinding too. Can we all just take a nap and agree to exchange rare items for snacks?

Again, just random screenshots of the journey. Even overpowered as all hell, and on full AI control, each of these battle takes about 15-20 minutes. If you aren’t to the point where you have one hit knockouts for each of your guys, these battles that we’re just powering through without much though easily take about 30-40 minutes a piece to complete. There’s no leader to snipe or easy button, it’s just persevere as long as you can through each slogfest.

Requiem is pretty cool and an attack that easily 95% of the people who pick up this game will never use. The biggest roadblock is that it requires a Divine Knight which, well is already a huge barrier to entry. But secondly, it only does useful damage to undead in a small area around the Divine Knight. But when it works…

Floor 111 the all ones version.

Floor 112, the usual.

Literally nothing exceptional about floor 113. Well other than the rare drops that we’re not bothering with.

I raved about this map when we saw it in the mid 90s as an originally unique map. When starting down here where the enemies did last time, it’s absolutely miserable. Holy cow does it drag on forever due to limited space and distances so far that even your fliers can’t cross.

Oooh boy. Well gentlegoons, it’s time to make this happen. Hang on to your seatbelts.

Wait, you’re kidding right? You’re not just going to take a voice out of nowhere seriously are you?

Exactly my dude. You live in a world with shape shifters, and magic beings and literal necromancers, maybe pump the brakes on giving out blind trust….

NOOOOOOOO YOU DUMB gently caress
+10 Dunce points

Don Quixote Dunce Counter: 11

: Behold the holy blade Brynhildr, deifacted gift of the heavens.
: By that name most sacred, hear my plea.

Don Quixote would be terrible in a horror movie.

I don’t think this is going the way we intended…

But hey, it brought back Warren. Eh, I guess maybe Don Quixote was right. All’s forgiven. Hope you enjoyed CODA 2.

I don’t like where this seems to be heading.

Erm, what do you mean King Rodrick. The chapter is clearly called the Search for Warren, not the Search for Warren and King Rodrick.

I get that I am kind of breaking up the story here for a second, but can you guys just really appreciate the succinctness of this screenshot. Even if you just skimmed the Warren Report that explained about Rodrick and his past, even if you’ve forgotten everything while grinding through a ton of unskippable fights, this dude Rodrick shows with this amazing first line in a video game.

“It is time… scores to settle, dues to be paid!”

I mean look at that bitchin portrait. And he’s saying that in front of what looks to be some sort of demonic summoning happening. This single screen is absolutely amazing. It is incredibly efficient story telling that gets across everything you could possibly need to get across about this villain. For all of the flaws about Chapter 2 of the CODA that have already happened, and are about to happen, this one screen makes up for all of them. This single still shot carries more emotion and urgency than most overwrought CGI cutscenes. It’s utterly beautiful.

I mean look at that beautiful sprite work. Look at how Don Quixote and Warren are both blown back by the power of Rodrick.

But that battle is a battle for next update because this is the hardest battle in the entire game. For those of you who don’t read between actual updates, this is how the battle usually goes your first time through.
https://youtu.be/gDss_Fslwfo

You regulars have seen that video already.

Next Update: Either you see CODA 2 get beat, or you'll see a quick side update. Which one you see will let you know how well I did in beating Rodrick.

Edit: Fixed the misspelling of Rodrick's name

waah fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 25, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah yes, the mission that actively punishes you if you abused the best things in the game....like archery/crossbows....magic....items that cast powerful spells....breathing :downs:.

There's a fine line of gimping yourself and having enough power to actually beat the boss that you have to tread here.

It ain't easy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Welease Wodewick!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Awww, and Roderick was such a nice guy in the SFC/PSOne original.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

glad to see this back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
"Well that fight doesn't seem too bad..."
*sees Warren starts far, far away from the party and close to the enemies.*
"Oh."

Peak Tactics Ogre right there.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Welcome back, Don Quixote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I hope you guys are ready for Tactics Ogre: What the Hell Just Happened edition in a few weeks.

I've never seen a more :psyduck: battle than the one I just went through. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting it to happen so I didn't screen shot it, and Canopus has lines of dialogue with Warren so we need those to get a good feel for how this is supposed to go.

There is however, video of it. :getin:

I'm honestly in shock right now, I really have never seen anything like this.

Edit: I lied, I can't hold out on you guys that long, I'm working on uploading the video now.

waah fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 22, 2019