Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I actually kept my word for once and reread through Helmet's sadly aborted Chaos run, and I just caught up in this thread. While it's not really formatted and there are a lot of redundancies, I have quite the list of cheats and advice from waah about how to minimize the post-game, if anyone fancies it.

Also, since I saw someone else do this a few pages back: waah, you have some wonky images from some time ago. In update 13 (page 80 for me) there is now an image that is dead, and in update 14 (page 81) there is an image that's in a very unusual place on the screen. No idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually kept my word for once and reread through Helmet's sadly aborted Chaos run, and I just caught up in this thread. While it's not really formatted and there are a lot of redundancies, I have quite the list of cheats and advice from waah about how to minimize the post-game, if anyone fancies it.

Also, since I saw someone else do this a few pages back: waah, you have some wonky images from some time ago. In update 13 (page 80 for me) there is now an image that is dead, and in update 14 (page 81) there is an image that's in a very unusual place on the screen. No idea why.

I just took a bit go back through and try to find these on my phone and computer and I can't seem to see which ones you are talking about. Maybe my cache is messing it up. Could you take a screen shot for me?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
https://imgur.com/tE1mYgh

https://imgur.com/eZBBLTB

I have minimal experience with image posting, so this is not pretty. It also could very well be my machine only.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 10, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I've started playing this game again why do I do this

Working on getting Ozma fitted out with Ogre Gear, take on a few heavenly generals I never got around to (which means grinding and making tuning forks), maybe even finish an actual neutral playthrough (which I've ignored because neutral sucks). Since I'll have Ozma with the ogre shield and dagger rather than the sword, maybe I'll even use the ogre blade to make Canopus a proper buccaneer with fusils and/or double attack. I hate you all

Guess I've been bored as all hell to do that. I beg you end my pain

Finally got my Fire Crest too....which meant I had to find the 1 wind god weapon I still didn't have....woot. sob

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 14, 2019

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mauman posted:

I've started playing this game again why do I do this

Working on getting Ozma fitted out with Ogre Gear, take on a few heavenly generals I never got around to (which means grinding and making tuning forks), maybe even finish an actual neutral playthrough (which I've ignored because neutral sucks). Since I'll have Ozma with the ogre shield and dagger rather than the sword, maybe I'll even use the ogre blade to make Canopus a proper buccaneer with fusils and/or double attack. I hate you all

Guess I've been bored as all hell to do that. I beg you end my pain

Finally got my Fire Crest too....which meant I had to find the 1 wind god weapon I still didn't have....woot. sob

Heh, ironically enough I just stopped my current playthrough last week. I was cleaning out some old poo poo at my desk and found the CD-ROM for Heroes of Might and Magic III. I figured it was a nice little diversion until FFV Four Job Fiesta gets underway. I'm sure I'll come back to TO soon though our pain must be constant and sharp

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Bregor posted:

Heh, ironically enough I just stopped my current playthrough last week. I was cleaning out some old poo poo at my desk and found the CD-ROM for Heroes of Might and Magic III. I figured it was a nice little diversion until FFV Four Job Fiesta gets underway. I'm sure I'll come back to TO soon though our pain must be constant and sharp

Next goal - finish getting all of the level 4 area/missile and level 2 summoning spells from San Brosa....
WHHHHYYYYYYYYY?!

Finished getting all of the ogre gear. Ozma with a ogre shield + assassin dagger setup is amusing when her basic ranged attack (rail at, basically a magic based throw stone) suddenly does 400+ damage.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lord help me I'm back on my bullshit

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

Lord help me I'm back on my bullshit

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

There are currently 987 images being uploaded to Imgur.

Patience my friends.

I haven't forgotten my promise.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Well ladies and gents, it’s been a very long time since an update. I’ve reached the point where my regret for not offering up consistent updates outweighs my need for sleep and meeting deadlines so…

WORLD: EPISODE 17 – CODA 4 Part 1 -False Flags and Crisis Actors

Where Are We?

Our merry band of warriors just finished completing CODA 3 and saving Lanselot. We got to listen to some utterly amazing music, see some great dialogue, and crush our foes. Our sister Catuia is days away from being crowned Queen of the Valerian Isles, but yet our heroes still feel something is not quite right. Our happy ending rings hollow due to the countless lives and war crimes committed not only by our enemies, but by us.

However, if you know nothing else about Tactics Ogre, it’s that’s peace never seems to last. Or does it?

Opening up the Warren Report, we have a new entry. Imagine that.

This entry is really quite long, so I’m going to transcribe it in an attempt to not throw 120 screen shots in this particular entry.

”The Warren Report – A Monument to Peace” posted:

The motives behind many of Loslorien’s activities have long been a mystery: the attack on Golyat, a town on the island of Galdochae, chief among them. According to a statement made to the Bakram by Dark Knight commander Balxephon V. Rahms, they planned the attack after learning a group of rebels conducting the raids on Heim was hiding there.

However, this information was later revealed to be false, and Lodis paid reparation to Golyat for the damage done during the attack. Now their true intentions have been revealed. Loslorien conducted the raid without Bakram help, and not one, but several commanders were present. The Dark Knight Balxephon was among them, and some witness say they saw High Champion Tartaros as well. Even if armed militia were taking refuge there, it is questionable that so many Loslorien elite would take part.
Despite the many victims of the tragedy at Golyat, there was no record of rebels being captured. Though attempts were made to obtain such records after the war, documents listing the names of suspected rebels were never uncovered. This can mean but one thing: The Dark Knights knew from the start that no rebels were harbored there.

So why would they commit so brutal an act? Loslorien attacked Golyat after learning the existence of a daughter born to King Dorgalua, most likely through Regent Brant Morne. It is also thought they had no intention of forming a long-term alliance with Brantyn and the Bakram. They acted under the pretense of eliminated rebel forces to conceal their true intentions.

Yet after all their efforts, they were not able to locate the Princess in the attack. Instead, they instilled a hatred of Lodis in the Walister and created the Hero of Golyat, Don Quixote Pavel.

Two years have passed since the raid on Golyat. With the wart at an end, and Loslorien now back in Lodis, peace has returned to Valeria. Golyat has recovered swiftly, and few traces of the war remain. It should not be long before Golyat regains its status as Oberon’s Pearl.

In the coming days, the unveiling of a monument will take place in the central plaza of Golyat. The monument was constructed at the behest of Princess Versalia to honor the memory of the those who died in the attack, and remember how those precious lives brought the people of Valeria together.

The Valerian Isles are now host to many visitors. We can but hope that those who see this new symbol of Golyat will take home with them a desire of peace.

One of the cool things about this entry is that I don’t know if the name of this particular island is ever mentioned anywhere else in the game. Name me another game where you spend 400+ hours to casually find out the name of the island you start the game on. If you said Xenoblade Chronicles 2, well, you’d be close.

Tangents aside, there is a lot to unpack in this wall of text the game gives you before you start CODA 4, and how much of it you absorb will directly affect how much you really appreciate all the care and love put into this final portion of the game’s story.

The entire story about the Dark Knights raid on Golyat is the stuff that internet conspiracy theorists soil themselves over.
The Valerian Isles were home to multiple ethnic groups sharing the same “continent” who harbored deep resentment to each other. As the opening movie for the game states, the whole situation was a powder keg, waiting to explode. But as this particular entry in the Warren Report tells us, things did not get out of begin to spiral out of control until Lodis came in under false pretenses to cause regional instability.

A foreign government interfering to cause chaos? That’s just too unbelievable.

Either way, Balxephon’s claim that the attack on Golyat was to capture members of the insurgents would have drawn scrutiny from survivors of the Golyat massacre. Without skipping ahead into spoilers for later in this or a future update, we only see one person captured in the opening video, the Denam’s and Catuia’s father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pncE48l4DA8

From our point of view to start the story off, this rings true. Every other person in the village of Golyat is either murdered, or left for dead.
The bit about some witnesses claiming to have seen the High Champion Lanselot Tartaros rings true as well as seen here:

These three are teenagers, who would have been at best 15 to 16 one date of the Dark Knight’s attack. They are going by hearsay at this point, and lack wisdom and experience. Lanselot’s name is probably spoken in hushed voices at best and with outright fear more often than not. It makes sense that no one knows what this guy looks like as hit sits on a horse at the top of a hill in the middle of a night while an entire village burns to the ground.

When the rumors that the Dark Knights are working with Bakram surface, it makes complete sense that a brash boy who watched half of his village get murdered in cold blood would think of this as a “good” plan

: Lanselot is Captain of the Dark Knights, and they are the source of Bakram power. Kill Lanselot, and you remove one of the pillars supporting them. The Bakram will falter, if only for a moment. Yet that moment will be all the encouragement the Galgastani require. They want Valeria for their own, and they will move to take it.

And again here, this makes sense, just because Lanselot is a figure that inspires terror, doesn’t mean that no one has ever seen him. A guy with one eye probably ends up with nicknames about it like “The One Winged Angel Eyed Devil.”

I bring all these things up because while there is some ret-conning to come, there has been incredible effort to write the story of CODA 4 within the existing rules that have been established in the game already.

The Amount of Force the Dark Knights Brought to Bear Would Raise Questions
At the time of the attack, the Lodissian forces may not have been completely known to the villagers of Golyat. It’s unclear if the entire world that Tactics Ogre exists in knows of each of the 12 High Commanders of Lodis and their generals. But after the attack, and as their exploits in Valeria grew, the people would begin to wonder why such an elite group was sent to a small and fairly remote village.

It’s easy to forget because this tactical RPG has “24 dudes fighting a battle over an entire castle,” but each character is meant to represent several dozen if not more soldiers under his or her command. Ozma is meant to be extremely strong yes, but when you attack Ozma with Vyce, the abstraction is that Vyce and his loyal soldiers are attacking Ozma and her elite guard. With that understand, think about how baffling and terrifying it would be for a small village to have hundreds of extremely elite soldiers descend upon your village in the middle of the night as “retaliation” for insurgency.

The real world equivalent of this event would be if multiple Navy Seal teams or the entire British SAS descended on Frankfort, Kansas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfort,_Kansas randomly for no real reason, killed half the town, kidnapped one dude, and left the rest of the town and everyone’s houses on fire. Then the news the next day says that special operations captured multiple insurgents planning a terror attack. But when the FOIAs are finally released 5 years later, there are no names of anyone captured, not even if you include the redactions.

Journalists, and eventually the larger public would begin to ask what the citizens of the village wondered all along, “What was the *real* purpose of the raid?”

The Symbol of Peace
There’s not nearly as much intrigue here. You see many governments around the world do something like this as an attempt at unity and to try to heal the wounds caused by an atrocity, in order to prevent the wound from festering and returning as an even bigger bit of violence.

It stays consistent with what we’ve learned about Catuia so far in that she will be a great leader who cares deeply the needs and wants of her people.

Whew. I’m sorry guys, there are so many pieces coming together in this last bit that require you to either have paid intense attention to the story over the last several hundred hours, or to have played through the game multiple times, or more than likely both. I’m just trying to get us all on the same page here, walls of text at a time.

: Did you find anything?

: Someone came while we were gone. The house is empty as a drum.

: I know that, Vyce. We did our share of taking when we had nothing.

The animators start showing off here. They’re going for broke and what’s being attempted to be captured here in screenshot form is a white bird flying by as all the three characters lift their heads to watch the bird fly by. Completely unnecessary, but man does it really help give this scene just a bit of humanity instead of talking heads just spouting text at each other.

: I remember once, during the rains… there was nothing to eat. You bought back some mutton Vyce. But it was going foul. I told you it wasn’t fit for pigs to eat, let alone humans.

: And the Bakram were still in Golyat… the only food to be had were their table scraps.
: You shouldn’t apologize, Vyce.

:frogsiren: HERE IT IS! CATIUA SHOWED PERSONAL GROWTH!!! YOU CAN’T DENY IT!!!! :frogsiren: Catuia is great. It’s been settled. Thanks.

I didn’t do a good job capturing it, but the friends laugh here. They put in sprite animation that might be used only once or twice else in the game, just to help sell this scene of old friends who have been through hell together, reminiscing on the old days where they barely were able to survive. CODA 4 will pull on every emotion you have, if only you sit and let what Matsuno and his team have accomplished wash over you.

“A port town on Galdochae known as “Oberon’s Pearl” in better days. It’s once beautiful walls now bear the scars of war.

You see, the thing about CODA 4 is that it's a story about the 3 main characters and their interactions with the Dark Knights. But the CODA 4 is so much more than that, to a long time fan, and my goal here is to bring you along for the. I want you really understand the multiple layers of fan appreciation that are going on here.

The Dark Knights have a child cornered on the docks as Volaq looks on. Andoras comes running in from off screen.

Let Us Cling Together is just as much as High Commander Lanselot Tartaros's story as it is Don Quixote's.

Lanselot Tartaros, our one-eyed antagonist, was once Alphonse.

Lans was once much like Don Quixote, a principled youth driven into a conflict he couldn't possibly understand. Yet Lans emerged victorious.

But at what cost? Was it machinations of Lodis that caused him to lose his morality? Or was it facing down a fallen angel?

Was Tartaros also able to sense the visions caused by the Wheel of Fortune? Could he see the visions of his own death at the hands of an otherworldly foe?

Was that really what caused his heart to turn so?

Or was it the more cruel fate of losing a loved one to a sworn enemy?

Losing someone special can sometimes break a man.

For while the Wheel of Fortune delivered Tartaros from death, a different future does not always mean a happier one.

Well we’re not too late to completely prevent a massacre. Let’s lighting this up because I’m sorry guys, I didn’t mean to make this update so depressing.

And again, we see that the Dark Knights are not above using a lie to promote their own agenda.

But Andoras isn’t nearly as smart as Volaq. He knows immediately that something isn’t right.

There are multiple different lines of dialogue here. For this time through CODA 4, we’re going with Ozma in the party as she has some pretty great dialogue with all of the Dark Knights.

Why yes, let’s look at the level 50 fleeing villagers. With those stats, these villagers could have completely ruined our resistance at the start of the game.

: I remember him throwing his dagger after a fleeing girl, like a man playing at darts. How I trusted in him… in Tartaros and Balxephon.

CODA 4 isn’t just about redemption for our main heroes. Ozma has a moment of reckoning that causes her to realize what she was really a part of and it’s satisfying to watch.

: Return to Phidoch

: There are no partisans here! This slaughter is senseless!

Then the dark knights recognize the rest of us who are about to tear through their army with minimal resistance.

We did just watch you stand by as a little kid with a terribly tragic haircut was murdered by members of your own army. You might not want to lecture us Andoras.

I love this moment. This one moment of waivering. Andoras is evil, and has participated in some pretty heinous atrocities. Yet knowing his backstory, how his own country was subjugated by Lodis and him wavering, even if for just this instance makes a for some great characterization. The game is smart enough to not ruin it by having Volaq or another member of the Dark Knights say something to take away from the gravitas of these statements.

Don Quixote, we travel back in time to fix the past, and all of a sudden you get extra protective of Catiua. How adorable. :3:

: Only, when I think back on what happened this day… Even though I know we are not as we were then, it frightens me.

Even here, it’s not so much that Catiua is being “weak”, but to relive the moments where dozens if not hundreds of people you cared about and loved were massacred while you had to wait and hide would shake most career soldiers, much less someone who was just a teenager when this all happened. She speaks the truth, while she’s been hardened by war in the years since, everything about this is telling her brain she’s still the young girl who could do nothing as everyone around her suffered.

As we effortlessly cut through their front lines, Volaq comes to a very sobering realization.

:vince:
If you didn’t quite catch on here, that’s a flowery way for Vyce to say “How could you think your poo poo don’t stink”

Volaq will not get a chance to fail to feel remorse unfortunately for him.

Remember, at this point this is like some Goku level force showing up out of nowhere to wreck shop. These guys are justifiably spooked. They shift stone away as bad guys do in this game.

I’m going to try something different with the updates for CODA 4. They are so incredibly dense, and I’ll need to make call backs to different parts of the game early on so I am going to make these updates much shorter than my usual updates, which will help with a more consistent frequency, which may or may not make you all happy. You all are saying thank loving God

Well that was my intent and then all of a sudden, I thought of a brand-new way to tell this story using Knight of Lodis. And then all it was many hours later.

But, before we sign off for this update, there’s one last thing to show off.
Remember how when I started this thing, I complained about how hard it was to find out the requirements for each phase of the CODA and how it seemed completely unfair that a game that is tough but fair in every other aspect completely drops the ball when it comes to CODA requirements? Well it turns out, it doesn’t completely. It just has them hidden away in a completely unintuitive spot. If you’ve got a completed save file, go check this out, if you don’t, here you go.

If you go into the Warren Report and go Tactics, which is shown here:

Go down to the book, which is the very bottom option. That’ll bring up this screen.

Once in it, you’ll have the option to read about advanced items like…

The CODA requirements?!?!?! WTF?
In this case if you were wondering what the requirements for CODA 4 are, here you go, straight from the game’s text.

Seems pretty helpful to know now right? Very cool to find this out after 8 years of relying on GameFaqs, multiple runs through the CODAs and multiple full game runs including a mostly complete All Titles Run.
:shepicide:

Next update: CODA Chapter 4 part 2! Comedy photoshops that I didn't get to finish this time around!

Edit: I was rushed trying to get this up and I did not give proper credit to the Youtube channels I pulled the Knight of Lodis screenshots from. Thanks to the Video Game Museum for their screenshots of the ending of Knight of Lodis which I have borrowed heavily from this update.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/gba/b/to.htm

Thanks to YouTuber DracoBreath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCXAyt2NyEITyRh3yV3HwZuA, who I have borrowed Knight of Lodis screenshots from for a future update.

Thanks also to YouTuber Mah-Dry Bread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCK-QfN_fautoBhHm2C4uECQ, who I have borrowed also Knight of Lodis screenshot from for a future update.

Thanks to Helmet10Warehouse and their mostly complete Chaos run of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together PSP and also to Tithin who I have both borrowed some screenshots from to really tie together this whole multiple timeline/multiverse idea. You are sure to see screenshots of Don Quixote in his parallel universe incarnations as Denam and Levi.

waah fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 6, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Every once in a while, you see actually intricate plots in a video game. I'm a sucker for fix-it fics, so this coda is extremely my jam.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I love how they wrote the whole Dark Knight "Who are these children, where the gently caress did they come from and why are they butchering my elite soldiers who normally can make everyone piss themselves just by making eye contact?"

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Solumin posted:

Every once in a while, you see actually intricate plots in a video game. I'm a sucker for fix-it fics, so this coda is extremely my jam.

It's so intricate and so lovingly crafted that everytime I hit submit reply I wonder if I missed something or if I should have waited longer to think about other interactions between the different Ogre Games.

I've been thinking a lot about Revenge of the Sith, and I feel like a similar story is told her for Tartaros, but in a much more subtle and heartbreaking way.

The CODA plays loose with time and I'm also influenced by Into the Spiderverse and Fire Emblem Three Houses as well right now, so showing both canon and non-canon screenshots of events from Knight of Lodis intermingled with CODA screenshots are my way of making the timelines all blur together to tell a complete story.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

waah posted:

Remember how when I started this thing, I complained about how hard it was to find out the requirements for each phase of the CODA and how it seemed completely unfair that a game that is tough but fair in every other aspect completely drops the ball when it comes to CODA requirements? Well it turns out, it doesn’t completely. It just has them hidden away in a completely unintuitive spot. If you’ve got a completed save file, go check this out, if you don’t, here you go.

If you go into the Warren Report and go Tactics, which is shown here:

Go down to the book, which is the very bottom option. That’ll bring up this screen.

Once in it, you’ll have the option to read about advanced items like…
[This screenshot is coming in the next day or so I can’t find it]

The CODA requirements?!?!?! WTF?
In this case if you were wondering what the requirements for CODA 4 are, here you go, straight from the game’s text.

Seems pretty helpful to know now right? Very cool to find this out after 8 years of relying on GameFaqs, multiple runs through the CODAs and multiple full game runs including a mostly complete All Titles Run.
:shepicide:

Next update: CODA Chapter 4 part 2! Comedy photoshops that I didn't get to finish this time around!

oh my god

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I always thought that this game had a good story (not to drat by fine praise), but recent (more or less) updates have really made me appreciate how much genuine TLC went into it all. Not just within this game, but over time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yes! CODA 4 owns so hard. Makes me wish we had more Matsuno (or at least a remake of this quality for MotBQ).

Now go get Ambicion :getin:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

There's a reason why I said for this run through CODA 4. Cause you know, I have to do it more than once. :suicide:

For those of you who have gotten through this most recent update, I'm experimenting with the story telling mode for CODA 4 as I try to tie multiple games and multiple timelines into one (hopefully) cohesive narrative.

Am I actually accomplishing this? Is it making sense what is part of the CODA and what is part of a different game or happened in the past? Let me know because I've got a lot of ground to cover and I'm trying to show off the slavish level of detail given to the universe and this love letter of a chapter for the fans.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It mostly works, but for example, I have no idea what's going on in the screenshots from the other game in this last update. Something about Lancelot not being terrible? Someone's sacrificing themselves? Not sure!

It's fine if you're writing these updates as if the reader knows as much about the games as you do, but people will be lost.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It might come together in the final update, when Lans wields Ambicion.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've always enjoyed alternate history/"What if?" scenarios, so this is right up my street.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I don’t know who anyone is and frankly I’m here for it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah this thing kicked off three and a half years ago; I'm just waiting for the LP archive so I can binge through it and actually have a clue what's going on, but it's still drat entertaining.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Solumin posted:

It mostly works, but for example, I have no idea what's going on in the screenshots from the other game in this last update. Something about Lancelot not being terrible? Someone's sacrificing themselves? Not sure!

It's fine if you're writing these updates as if the reader knows as much about the games as you do, but people will be lost.

Okay thanks for the feedback. I thought making sure I had the name Lanselot Tartaros would tip people off. I'll make a couple edits to the previous post to try to tip off a few things tomorrow. I want some mystery to remain, so I won't tip off all of it.

I'll ask again on Monday once I decide how much I want to explain.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to remember that like 80 people on the internet have played Knight of Lodis.

Tallgeese posted:

It might come together in the final update

I uh wish that would be the final update. I promised the entire post game remember. :negative:

But you have the right idea. The point is to try to give a crash course on the gravitas of the final confrontation of CODA 4.

It's cool on it's own, but if I can somehow get those of you who dont eat and breathe Ogre Battle to appreciate half of the love and care put into this story over the last 20 years, my job will be complete.

waah fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 5, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I really wish SE would bring MAtsuno back on board for more Ogre Battle games. They don't need (and shouldn't have) the utterly batshit amount of grinding the TO CODAs require but a game with even half the detail would be more than welcome.

agradine posted:

Yeah this thing kicked off three and a half years ago; I'm just waiting for the LP archive so I can binge through it and actually have a clue what's going on, but it's still drat entertaining.

You still won't, you'll just be less confused.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Alright, there's some extra explanations in that one block of pictures early on where the poor little kid bites it that should give a bit more information on what's going on here. I don't expect it, nor want it all to make sense yet.

But what I do want is that people understand that Lanselot was once Alphonse. Lans was in a completely separate video game. Lans had some bad poo poo happen to him.

If my changes cause you all to understand that much at least, then we're tracking

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I think that I know the answer to this, waah, but are you playing on native hardware or emulating? In the latter case, you are a brave and persistent man. In the former case, you're an utter loving lunatic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've never played the PSP version or read the storylines for the CODAs but when Denim says they have to go further back are we about to jump in to Knight of Lodis and have a run in with pre-Lans Alphonse? Because that's what it feels like.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never played the PSP version or read the storylines for the CODAs but when Denim says they have to go further back are we about to jump in to Knight of Lodis and have a run in with pre-Lans Alphonse? Because that's what it feels like.

sadly no.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

waah posted:

It's cool on it's own, but if I can somehow get those of you who dont eat and breathe Ogre Battle to appreciate half of the love and care put into this story over the last 20 years, my job will be complete.

You're certainly succeeding with me, I've never played an Ogre game at all and yet I always look forward to seeing new updates here to learn more about this world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hot drat, this is still going? I just happened to see it pop on page one of my bookmarks.

waah posted:

I didn’t do a good job capturing it, but the friends laugh here. They put in sprite animation that might be used only once or twice else in the game, just to help sell this scene of old friends who have been through hell together, reminiscing on the old days where they barely were able to survive. CODA 4 will pull on every emotion you have, if only you sit and let what Matsuno and his team have accomplished wash over you.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/tPHHvrWl.png[
[img]https://i.imgur.com/s84mpYjl.png[/timg]

You forgot half of a BBCode there.

I am so down for this story compared to all the PotD grinding god drat. Is Lancelot a member of your party now since you saved him last update or no? And I'm still not sure how to read any of these stats so I don't know how much weaker all the Dark Knights' stats are compared to you even though you're all roughly the same level.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

This would have made for the absolute coolest LP ever, but there is no way I could pull it off before the heat death of the universe.

RareAcumen posted:

Hot drat, this is still going? I just happened to see it pop on page one of my bookmarks.

You forgot half of a BBCode there.

I am so down for this story compared to all the PotD grinding god drat. Is Lancelot a member of your party now since you saved him last update or no? And I'm still not sure how to read any of these stats so I don't know how much weaker all the Dark Knights' stats are compared to you even though you're all roughly the same level.

Yep still going. I promise to finish this thing, but the time frame on finishing is.... ehhh let's talk about something else.

Thanks for the BB code catch.

Lans Hamilton is the member we saved in Coda3.

He's the good guy Lans.

Lans Tartaros is the bad guy in this game, who was the good guy in Knight of Lodis.

The stats I should probably explain at some point, but it's not too terribly important. The higher the better.

Not every update is updated on the OP so you may have to check my posts for the last few updates since we rescued Warren

As far as future updates, I'm guessing I need at least 9-10 more updates at the very minimum to finish this thing off.

Easily 5 more to cover CODA4, 2 for San Bronsa, 1 short one for Blackmore and Ogre Blade Shennanigans, 1 for general shenanigans, and 1 for the 12 heavenly generals.

Edit: vvvv I wasnt trying to call you out my friend. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not making giant leaps and assumptions and leaving out important info.

waah fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 6, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'll update the index when I'm not managing two Sn kids solo on an interstate trip

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

waah posted:

This would have made for the absolute coolest LP ever, but there is no way I could pull it off before the heat death of the universe.

Yep still going. I promise to finish this thing, but the time frame on finishing is.... ehhh let's talk about something else.

Thanks for the BB code catch.

Lans Hamilton is the member we saved in Coda3.

He's the good guy Lans.

Lans Tartaros is the bad guy in this game, who was the good guy in Knight of Lodis.

The stats I should probably explain at some point, but it's not too terribly important. The higher the better.

Not every update is updated on the OP so you may have to check my posts for the last few updates since we rescued Warren

As far as future updates, I'm guessing I need at least 9-10 more updates at the very minimum to finish this thing off.

Easily 5 more to cover CODA4, 2 for San Bronsa, 1 short one for Blackmore and Ogre Blade Shennanigans, 1 for general shenanigans, and 1 for the 12 heavenly generals.

Oh no, I know which Lanselot is which I just wasn't really sure if he got recruited or not since you're mostly abridging the fights at this point and he didn't say anything in the Andoras fight. I had like 3 or 4 updates to read when it came to my attention so I'm caught up now just missed that part.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Nothing gets me more excited about a new update than an amazingly awful photoshop

You'll have CODA 4 pt within the next 2 weeks.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD - EPISODE 18 - You Mustn’t Be Afraid to Dream a Little Bigger, Don Quixote

I’m particularly inspired as this starts to get really good, so I’m going to push this one early. No promises I can keep this schedule up, but for now lets just enjoy a bit more content. This is a fairly short update since lumping it in with the next one would end up with a stupidly long update. This is a feast or famine LP if you haven’t caught on already. Enjoy the feast while it lasts.

Where Are We?

Last update we began CODA Chapter 4 where our heroes decided that they could use the Wheel of Time to go and fix the past. Tactics Ogre doesn’t care about your objections about time paradoxes. It’s going for what time travel stories should go for, the sheer awesomeness factor.
There’s no need for me to be long-winded here. Let’s get right to this.

Great, we got Oz to start off with. We know how absolutely creepy and maniacal this dude is.

:stonk: This dude.

Alright, it’s time to bust out making some gifs and/or animations so you can appreciate this sprite work. For now, she’s backing away from him in fear as she should. Never has “Girl, you in danger” been so appropriate. By the time I finish CODA 4, I will have made some gifs of the more memorable sprite animations.

:stonk: Is he implying…

Oh God it’s even worse. Holy poo poo.

Ozma’s not exactly innocent here. She’s really just letting her brother blow way past the point of being cartoonishly evil into horror movie villain territory.

Ah, the poor girl took the chance while these two were bickering to get away. One of the rare souls to escape death in the world of Tactics O-

Nope. gently caress. A knife right in the back. :negative: Thanks for being so uplifting CODA

:goonsay: But Waah, you said that CODA 4 is so incredibly awesome and uh, this is quite horrible.

: Hold on guys, really it gets better. I’ll even throw in a few call backs to some old updates. Oz is really the most hands down classically evil character in the game. All of the other Dark Knights are somewhat redeemable in their own way. Yes even Martym with his extremely punchable smirking face. The CODA just reminds us that in case we forgot and thought that all of our villains were misguided but relatable.

: See, at least the poor girl got death instead a fate that some would describe as worse than death. Minor victories? Yay?

We arrive too late to save the girl, but not too late to utterly wreck shop in revenge.

Ozma is disturbed by us randomly showing up as well.

This thumbnail from Helmet10 Warehouse that took place early on in our conflict shows why the Dark Knights are so confused. For sizable reinforcements to show up from Almorica without anyone noticing would be almost impossible. The is no reason to think that the Dark Knights wouldn’t have reconnaissance around the major ports and near Almorica Castle.

When we started off this story where Almorica had fallen to the Galgastani and Hierophant Balbatos. Brantym would have taken over the entire kingdom if not for Lanselot Tartaros convincing him to not “recklessly expand”, even though as we see now, this was simply because Lanselot needed to buy time to find the Princess and abduct her without creating a full-scale war between Lodis and the Bakram-Valerian Kingdom.

It seems like ages ago, but we were once face to face with the enemies are directly responsible for our current plight. Hell, we even went to them for help as they played all the sides of this civil war like puppets.

When you continue to see our foes look completely bewildered and flustered that there is even the slightest bit more than a token resistance in this town, this is why. They are experience the MMO equivalent of attacking a butterfly only for the player to find out that the butterflies are a super powerful end game boss.

Either way, our objective is clear.

Normally, Ozma would be moving first, so these lines of dialogue would be the first things you see in battle. But if you remember from the cursed weapon mini update, Deneb is an unstoppable hurricane of death who waits for no man or woman.

What I find endearing, well maybe tragic is a better word, is that Ozma knows her brother is a monster. Yet she’s still cares for him, even knowing the atrocities he’ll commit in the future. Even knowing that he’ll refuse her answer for a peaceful resolution to this encounter. For as strong and fiery of a spirit as Ozma is, in her previous time line she was nothing more an enabler for Oz and his wicked ways.

And even still, she attempts to save her brother from the fate she knows awaits him.

If a doppelganger for someone you know showed up and told you to change your life path or you would be dead in a year, would you do it? Interestingly, we can piece together that the events of Chapters 1 – 3 take place over the span of roughly one year. The events of Chapter 4 and CODAs 1 and 2 also take place over the span of about a year.
CODAs 3 and 4… well, you now time travel man. How does it even work?

:bisonyes:

Ozma is truly the only person Oz cares about other than himself, and it shows again here.

However, Oz is a psychopath, so he loves torture even more than he loves his sister.
I’m glossing over these fights for a reason. Extremely minor spoilers below.
Because I took all of my good battle screenshots before I was reminded that Ozma has tons of CODA 4 dialogue. We have to do the CODA 4 all over again anyways.
Anyways, as usual we utterly annihilate any and every unit in our way.

: Come on, you were all thinking it! You weren’t thinking, he needs to return to the vanguard. Admit it! Plus this is a prreeeeettty dark update. I need a few awful photoshops to lighten the mood. Ahem.

Man, I’m going to enjoy killing Oz again when we finally get the chance. Oz and Ozma teleport out as villains in this game are known to do. What I did find interesting here is that there are no interactions between Hobyrim and Ozma in this battle. I feel like this is a rare missed opportunity by the Tactics Ogre writers.

Next update: We go back further into the past on that fateful day. We also end up with one of the most unintentionally funny bits of sprite animation in the game, and yes, I am a big dumb kid at heart who loves juvenile humor.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just spent like a week reading this entire thread and it's still getting updates :iia:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Some good updates.
Glad people are still reading and enjoying this.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

tithin posted:

Some good updates.
Glad people are still reading and enjoying this.

Here 'til the end. I loved this game, but even I didn't love it enough to make it to CODA.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Prowler posted:

Here 'til the end. I loved this game, but even I didn't love it enough to make it to CODA.

Heck, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still impressed by the depths to which the CODA content goes all in on time shenanigans based on powers that were originally presented as just a gameplay conceit without narrative impact.

Though I'm horrified by the amount of effort required to actually see it.