Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Interesting. Probably still wasn't that, though.

When I say "diluted bleach" I mean I put around 20 ml of bleach in 500ml of water, in a spray bottle.

People use bleach as a disinfectant all the time. I went and looked up what ratio to use for ordinary household disinfecting and mixed it up accordingly. I was disinfecting my grocery boxes and such.

I wasn't spraying 60% pool chlorine right onto my food, folks.

RFC2324 posted:

whats it like going through life responding to everything with hostility? must be kinda lonely 😥

Is "get off my case" more to your liking? step off my nuts

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:17 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow after all

Yeah that takes a lot more than holmes was probably spritzing on the outside of their grocery bags.

E: like they said above. If you've ever been overchlorinated, you'll fuckin know, because everything you cough and spit will taste like you just gulped a gallon of pool water.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Anyway, yeah, around that time some doctors really were recommending wiping down your groceries with disinfectant, though the Victorian government wasn't. The jury was still out on how long the virus could live on surfaces and how transmissible it was from that. As far as I understand, these days it's considered really unlikely as a mode of transmission, but back then it was all up in the air.

Disinfectant was sold out absolutely everywhere, and bleach mostly was too. All I could find was big gently caress-off bottles of it from a professional cleaning supplies shop. So, I bought one, bought a spray bottle, looked up the proper ratio for mixing up disinfectant from bleach, and went with that.

Yeah, it was being more cautious than necessary, but I figured better safe than sorry, I might as well take what precautions I can. And as it turns out it probably didn't make any difference at all, but I didn't know that at the time.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Just lol if you don't dunk your phone in bleach before and after reading anything on these forums. Pure bleach after posting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hyperlynx posted:

Anyway, yeah, around that time some doctors really were recommending wiping down your groceries with disinfectant, though the Victorian government wasn't. The jury was still out on how long the virus could live on surfaces and how transmissible it was from that. As far as I understand, these days it's considered really unlikely as a mode of transmission, but back then it was all up in the air.

Disinfectant was sold out absolutely everywhere, and bleach mostly was too. All I could find was big gently caress-off bottles of it from a professional cleaning supplies shop. So, I bought one, bought a spray bottle, looked up the proper ratio for mixing up disinfectant from bleach, and went with that.

Yeah, it was being more cautious than necessary, but I figured better safe than sorry, I might as well take what precautions I can. And as it turns out it probably didn't make any difference at all, but I didn't know that at the time.
Yeah, for a month and a half or so I and my housemate disinfected what was frozen or perishable or intended for immediate consumption and let the rest sit in the car for a couple of days, since there was some talk of fomite transmission. My understanding is that while it is just barely conceivable how it could happen with frozen foods in particular, it is not a practical concern.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Getting a little prayer mat for your cat is so :3:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah this was fine.

My sanitizer of choice was ethanol mixed according to a USP guide that circulated early in the pandemic. I had some on hand, it’s basically nontoxic, and it leaves no residue. It worked out to spending about ten bucks on it per month. One of the coronavirus threads was concerned that ethanol vapor would blow up like a cartoon cigar. More kids should play with fire to cure them of misconceptions like that. Chemicals aren’t scary if you know a little about them and handle them as you should.

It sees a lot less use these days, but refill the spray bottle occasionally because it got to be so handy to clean screens and get oil off counters and such.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I just stared at the germs until they died of shame from losing the staring contest

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

imagine praying for anything other than a swift death lol

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Specific memes are absolutely my thing so please anybody with memes from a narrow area feel free to post more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pastry of the Year posted:

heavily-artifacted little insets stating that THIS MEME MADE BY _____ GANG will never stop being very funny to me

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

As far as that last one is concerned, a colleague of mine was told in very specific terms by the TSA in Hawaii that they should never, ever, refer to the rocks in their pack as volcanic bombs, regardless of the accuracy of the term.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"Fomite" is the specific word for an object that is contaminated and is a vector for transmitting an infection from one person to another.

Fomite transmission is now understood to not be a serious factor in covid19 infection, though in March/April 2020 it was thought to be one of the primary vectors.

tmyk

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Son of Rodney posted:

Specific memes are absolutely my thing so please anybody with memes from a narrow area feel free to post more.

:gritin:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Son of Rodney posted:

Caregiver memes

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

:yeshaha:

More. More!!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Memento posted:

As far as that last one is concerned, a colleague of mine was told in very specific terms by the TSA in Hawaii that they should never, ever, refer to the rocks in their pack as volcanic bombs, regardless of the accuracy of the term.

In grad school I went to the Atacama Desert with some NASA folks to do geological testing there and we brought a lot of rocks back with us. Probably around 40-50 kg. We split them up and each of us took some. I was told that when we landed it was extremely likely that I'd get pulled aside by customs because of it and that it was very important that I called them geological samples and not rocks, as they would reject the later. They did pull me aside and that did the trick. Now I call all of them geological samples.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

every filing system has its faults

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 11:59 on May 7, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Son of Rodney posted:

Okay.

Belgium when they realise that France has many more border stones

A Belgian farmer moved a border stone that was blocking their way, making France a little smaller in the process

When the Chinese grill adds an extra fortune cookie

When I finally confess my love to the Russian girl
German-Sowjet friendship
Friendship of heart and deed

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Son of Rodney posted:

:yeshaha:

More. More!!

Even more specific, med aid memes

e: at my workplace , we don’t call it the the van to Ativan. We call it the riding the train to lorazeland. Same stuff just a generic name. Any time I give somebody a Xanax I call it barring them up.

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 12:31 on May 7, 2021

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I translated all these toki pona memes so you don't have to. The translations are somewhat subjective because toki pona has a really small vocabulary and leans on context and multiple meanings.

1. "all/a lot (noun form)"
"all/a lot (adjective form)"
maybe this one makes sense to someone, but not me

2. "hi! i know toki pona [literally, correct speech]", written in three ways

3. "community communes"

4. "I want to create art"
"I make memes [literally, words/talk art] a lot"
"I talk a little but in toki pona"
this one makes not a lot of sense to me, not sure why talking in toki pona is disappointing and/or in any way related to the desire to make art

5. "someone uses/has toki pona when they're wanting sex because what?"
I think it might be trying to say, "does toki pona make anyone else horny?"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DontMockMySmock posted:

4. "I want to create art"
"I make memes [literally, words/talk art] a lot"
"I talk a little but in toki pona"
this one makes not a lot of sense to me, not sure why talking in toki pona is disappointing and/or in any way related to the desire to make art
Oh boy I'm going to learn toki pona to do cool art things for the rad community! Poetry! Music!

Well, at least I can make funny memes.

And then you basically say "hi" "how are you" "I am ok. How are you. I like fruit" on the discord.

Small talk instead of cool talk.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Had to Google what toki pona was, I just assumed it was finnish

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

gently caress, I'm gonna have to watch some macho man memes at work now

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hazardousmouse posted:

gently caress, I'm gonna have to watch some macho man memes at work now

oh yeah?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Edit: nvm

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Memento posted:

oh yeah?

look, Bonesaw is basically the only thing I remember from the Toby McG Spidermen

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

100% the second, there is no debate.

Ties break up the transition of the neck/collar area, not neck/head area.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er03HgiLKxI

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

there is no debate.

There clearly is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas