Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kit Walker posted:

From living in lefty communes for a while I would 100% believe a post-apocalypse story where the survivors fall apart because of ideological infighting that keeps interfering with people who are actually trying to keep everyone’s needs met
I would also read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fried Watermelon posted:

They don't clean up their skeletons in Fallout. Just leaving them for a hundred years laying on the bed in weird poses...

Unless they are just posing them like that for fun...
look, my goal in life if there's a nuclear apocalypse is to be Environmental Storytelling Toilet Skeleton, complete with revolver with one (1) extra bullet left in it

they're just letting weirdos like me be dead in peace :kimchi:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Not my skeleton not my problem!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I want to be the Zybourne Clock reference corpse.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Paladinus posted:

Just be sure to keep 4 balls carefully arranged nearby wherever and whenever you go...

This sounds like the kind of rich-guy eccentricity that would boggle non-terminally-online observers forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As long as I get annihilated I don't care where my skeleton ends up.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Oh poo poo that's the two minute warning! *hurriedly runs to sit on the toilet with an army of teddy bears posed around me*

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Paladinus posted:

I want to be the ball that falls of the cliff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Enrique in a hazmat suit at all times, for that extra thirty seconds of survival.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Daktar posted:

Oh poo poo that's the two minute warning! *hurriedly runs to sit on the toilet with an army of teddy bears posed around me*
*opens my emergency stash of plastic skeletons* time to confuse the future

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

*opening my closet full of engraved tablets that describe me as a conman that sells lovely copper* I will become... immortal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose you could get your 10ft home depot skeletons and build your own little tomb of the giants.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Where does Fallout land on the Skeleton War timeline?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Where does Fallout land on the Skeleton War timeline?

Tomorrow.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Welcome to the world of tomorrow! *nuclear flash*

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Son of Rodney posted:

I love the Gandalf memes.

I love the German memes AND the Gandalfmemes.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DarkDobe posted:

Not my skeleton not my problem!

dead Lowtax is in Morrowind

UESP posted:

Arlowe was an Imperial pauper who fell victim to a pair of mabrigashes at the Ashamanu Camp on Azura's Coast. He wore a common shirt with matching pants and carried the unique weapon BanHammer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

axolotl farmer posted:

You misspelled mangosteen

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

axolotl farmer posted:

Ran over by his own GTR

e,c:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:54 on May 10, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ran over by his own GTR

e,c:

Is "Italian" something people censor now?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

OR, it's like two hundred years later, and everything still looks like a complete shithole.

Yeah this is the part that always bugs me about the Fallout games and a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction in general.

200 years ago the most advanced technology was the steam engine, the electric motor had just been invented in a laboratory and it would be thirty years until pasteur developed his ideas about pathogenic bacteria. it's a shitload of time for a society to grow and change. you're telling me that over something like six generations, the people in fallout couldn't figure out how to patch holes in their houses and put on a new coat of paint? ugh

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah this is the part that always bugs me about the Fallout games and a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction in general.

200 years ago the most advanced technology was the steam engine, the electric motor had just been invented in a laboratory and it would be thirty years until pasteur developed his ideas about pathogenic bacteria. it's a shitload of time for a society to grow and change. you're telling me that over something like six generations, the people in fallout couldn't figure out how to patch holes in their houses and put on a new coat of paint? ugh

The past 200 years have been unprecedented in the level of change in all the history of humanity and that was spurred by a series of breakthroughs in science. Its easy to imagine hitting a wall where no more breakthroughs happen, and so the pace of change slows again. Its actually likely in some ways in an apocalypse, since we wouldn't be worried about the things that its gonna take to advance science from where it is now, even without the fact that that pace seems to be slowing with things like Moore's Law breaking down

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Velocity Raptor posted:

Is "Italian" something people censor now?

i think it's a dunk on the dude here who said italian jokes were racist

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm just :psyduck: on how somebody couldn't notice the difference between pasta & ramen. The textures are pretty different.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
M*ma M*a

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sagebrush posted:

They would at least have invented a new genre of music, better suited to the post-apocalyptic wastes.

https://youtu.be/DCEewyIE_0c

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah, 200 years during peace time and prosperity is very different from "starting from scrach after a nuclear almost-extinction event wipeout"

I mean, humanity has been around for a loooong time and for most of that time we've been really low tech. We didn't just go from spears and clubs to knights in shining armor and then modern society in a few hundred years. That took hundreds of thousands of years. If enough people died during the apocalypse for critical knowledge to be lost we'd probably get stuck in another long rut

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

A can of paint pre-supposes a bunch of industries that would be gone when 98% of everyone died. So yea, I doubt someone would just be able to paint everything easy peasy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CainFortea posted:

A can of paint pre-supposes a bunch of industries that would be gone when 98% of everyone died. So yea, I doubt someone would just be able to paint everything easy peasy.
Counterpoint: there's an entire drat quest about looting a still-automated-and-barely-functional paint factory in fallout 4 to mix blue paint with yellow paint to get green paint for a wall

like enough tech is still working in the Bethesda-era Fallout games that it's weird how society is as stagnant as it is, they all feel like they were set 30 years after nuclear war and also people had amnesia.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CainFortea posted:

Paint is actually really easy. Modern latex paint isn't, but its not hard to stain a wall green(some colors are harder than others)

They had paint literally 6000 years ago

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Keep in mind the existence of all this technology is a gigantic house of cards.

You have to have someone cutting off the arms of children so the slaves are motivated to mine the rare metals.

You have to have to have the totalitarian government to force the workers to put up suicide nets on the sweatshops building it.

You have to have a massive international steel and oil monopoly to transport it.

A few nukes going off means we're literally back to sticks and stones until we get that accursed system up and running again.

But yeah paint is easy if one of the survivors remembers the formula. If not, I can't figure out why the people living in bunkers and hiding from cannibals haven't stopped to leisurely redevelop it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

it's a shitload of time for a society to grow and change. you're telling me that over something like six generations, the people in fallout couldn't figure out how to patch holes in their houses and put on a new coat of paint? ugh

That's pretty much all Bethesda. There were plenty of sheet metal shanties in Fallout 1 and 2 (much like today), but even the lovely towns were mostly like adobe or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, 200 years during peace time and prosperity is very different from "starting from scrach after a nuclear almost-extinction event wipeout"

CainFortea posted:

Paint is literally tens of thousands of years old. You don't need a factory to produce it. I'm pretty sure that 200 years is enough time to rediscover methods of making whitewash and basic carpentry techniques.

200 years! We're talking about the time your great-grandmother's great-grandmother was a baby.

Azhais posted:

That's pretty much all Bethesda. There were plenty of sheet metal shanties in Fallout 1 and 2 (much like today), but even the lovely towns were mostly like adobe or something

Yeah, that's much more what I would expect to see popping up within a few decades of a nuclear apocalypse. loving bethesda

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lol like any of you know how to make paint.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They would at least have invented a new genre of music, better suited to the post-apocalyptic wastes.

https://youtu.be/DCEewyIE_0c

Yeah, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Lol like any of you know how to make paint.

you grind up anything that naturally has a color you like and mix it with water or oil, my dude

whitewash, perhaps the simplest effective house paint, can be made from any source of calcium carbonate (seashells, limestone, bones) and water

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 17:59 on May 10, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I would probably scoot the skeletons off the bed at some point in my admittedly like 50 year lifespan

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, why can't those poors in X Poor Country just fix up their houses and paint them. They've been poor for centuries, you think those poors would've figured it out by now.

Silly poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, why can't those poors in X Poor Country just fix up their houses and paint them. They've been poor for centuries, you think those poors would've figured it out by now.

Silly poors.

now we're cooking with gas