Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sagebrush posted:

you grind up anything that naturally has a color you like and mix it with water or oil, my dude

whitewash, perhaps the simplest effective house paint, can be made from any source of calcium carbonate (seashells, limestone, bones) and water

Yeah, this. I don't know about 10s of thousands of years(because I literally don't know) but I know we have preserved paint from ancient Egypt, so its not new, and last I checked making your own paint was a thing taught in high school art class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, this. I don't know about 10s of thousands of years(because I literally don't know) but I know we have preserved paint from ancient Egypt, so its not new, and last I checked making your own paint was a thing taught in high school art class

You really have to thin it a lot though before you paint your miniatures

Unless you play Nurgle, I guess

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Eventually, everyone plays Nurgle :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just got run into supermutant territory to get some ethanol, trek for 400 days through ghoul country to find some wheat flour, and then scour the wasteland for some turmeric or beets which haven't been harvested in 200 years and then I can make high school art class paint.

Everything is incredibly easy to do without supply chains.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's one paint, Michael. How much could it cost, 10 bottle caps?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Just got run into supermutant territory to get some ethanol, trek for 400 days through ghoul country to find some wheat flour, and then scour the wasteland for some turmeric or beets which haven't been harvested in 200 years and then I can make high school art class paint.

Everything is incredibly easy to do without supply chains.

this is fallout we're talking about so there are bottles of booze cluttering up every abandoned house, starchy mutant potatoes growing all over the wasteland, and plenty of brightly colored things to scrape and grind up for pigments.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just crunched up some crackers into a cup of water and let me tell you, whitewash it aint.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Look at you complete morons bickering over fallout like children, forgetting that the human body makes 4 pigments all on its own: poo poo, piss, blood and of course, cum.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Drone_Fragger posted:

Look at you complete morons bickering over fallout like children, forgetting that the human body makes 4 pigments all on its own: poo poo, piss, blood and of course, cum.

Every goon's underwear is a jackson pollock

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's one paint, Michael. How much could it cost, 10 bottle caps?

Make more of these posts plz

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that's much more what I would expect to see popping up within a few decades of a nuclear apocalypse. loving bethesda
Those are the same town about 60 years apart in fallout 1 and 2, for that matter.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Stop posting pics of scandinavian healthcare, thx.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

I can't paint the walls in cum the way I used to though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zereth posted:

Those are the same town about 60 years apart in fallout 1 and 2, for that matter.

Yeah, that was Shady Sands: desert caravan stop, and Shady Sands: Capital of the NCR

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azhais posted:

That's pretty much all Bethesda. There were plenty of sheet metal shanties in Fallout 1 and 2 (much like today), but even the lovely towns were mostly like adobe or something

Yeah, getting electricity, engines, and metallurgy is complex. Making reliable shelter doesn't have to be. Without the right books (or YouTube) it could take a few years of trial and error, but stuff like the Primitive Technologies guy makes can be made starting from basic resources including wood, rocks, and clay. Small wood, not even big timber.

I imagine Bethesda didn't go that way fore A E S T H E T I C reasons. Dilapidated 200 year old buildings look post apocalyptic. A village of snug huts and cabins just looks primitive.

Anyway,

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Everybody talking about post apocalyptic fiction and nobody mentions A Canticle for Leibowitz? I’m ashamed of you all.

It’s set after a nuclear war and follows society as it rebuilds itself. Focuses a lot on the catholic church’s role as a preserver, and gatekeeper, to knowledge. It’s set in three major sections. The first is right after the apocalypse, where there’s a wave of anti intellectualism and an order of monks sets out to preserve, but not understand, old writings. The second section is set during the Renaissance, where electricity is eventually rediscovered. The main conflict there is that a monk is traveling to give some rediscovered blueprints to the pope, as well as a gift of an illuminated blueprint that he had spent years making. He’s robbed by mutant bandits on the way, but manages to talk them into only stealing the illuminated blueprint and leaving him with the ancient blueprints. The third section is set during the new modern era, where society has just set off the nukes again, and discusses whether or not it’s ethical to perform assisted suicide on people who have received lethal doses of radiation.

It’s a good book, you should all check it out. Bit of a slow read, but if you’re looking for post apocalypse fiction that actually focuses on rebuilding things, you’ll like it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or the Wingman series. Just one man (and his F-16) struggling in post apocalyptic America

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

goddamn these were fire

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:stonklol:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If you go to Google Street view of Good Springs Nevada you can see Fallout New Vegas in real life

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

God drat it, the main reason to paint your house is not to make it pretty, but to make it not rot because it's made of wood. If your house is made of, say, bricks or metal or concrete, painting is nonessential, as evident by all the unpainted brick houses of the world. Metal is not actually a good building material in terms of heating, but it's easy to build out of quickly, which has a lot of value when you have to survive without agriculture (seriously, where are the fields?). And since metal plates are plentiful, why not just use those and not paint them because they won't rust for a long time and when they do they can be replaced easily.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you go to Google Street view of Good Springs Nevada you can see Fallout New Vegas in real life

You can in fact drink at the Goodsprings Bar, which has a great whiskey selection.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a whole society waiting for me to log on and tell them to clean up that big pile of brush and metal scraps five feet from their front door

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BonHair posted:

(seriously, where are the fields?).

That's still more Bethesda. The originals had fields and ranches and whatnot. I guess the east coast just forgot how to farm

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DC was getting lashed by radioactive storms blowing in from the midwest until just a few decades before the game starts. It doesn't look like 200 years of recovery because there wasn't 200 years of recovery; DC got pounded into the dirt and then covered with more, radioactive dirt.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L7f4B1dUMg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

a whole society waiting for me to log on and tell them to clean up that big pile of brush and metal scraps five feet from their front door

Sitcom mom simulator

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm trying to run a shop out of a pre-war diner with literal skeletons in the seats

How do I get rid of these skeletons

Society has fallen and we lack the technology to move the skeleton

Was man ever able to perform these feats in the before times

Please help me wanderer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This must be what it's like to be Finnish and reading the comic about viperless milk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

God drat it, the main reason to paint your house is not to make it pretty, but to make it not rot because it's made of wood.

It also really helps against erosion of mud brick.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Azhais posted:

That's pretty much all Bethesda. There were plenty of sheet metal shanties in Fallout 1 and 2 (much like today), but even the lovely towns were mostly like adobe or something

adobe is sturdy and great for the west coast. so is stucco kind of.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You can in fact drink at the Goodsprings Bar, which has a great whiskey selection.

What was interesting from driving through the area south of Vegas was how much more varied and interesting it is in a post-nuclear war video game then it is in real life.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jabberlock posted:

What was interesting from driving through the area south of Vegas was how much more varied and interesting it is in a post-nuclear war video game then it is in real life.

Cazadors do have a way of spicing things up

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Azhais posted:

Cazadors do have a way of spicing things up

There's the same towns but outside of those it's just barren plains punctuated by solar panels. No prisons or spaceflight centers anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jabberlock posted:

There's the same towns but outside of those it's just barren plains punctuated by solar panels. No prisons or spaceflight centers anywhere

Be the change you want to see in the world