Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Why bother having names for colours? Just have the word colour, and then everything is night-colour, blood-colour, fire colour, plant-colour, sky-colour etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

csammis posted:

I’d say that the language doesn’t differentiate between blue and green, it has one word (laso) for both which makes blue/green a single referent. Some language users are arguing about communicating a conceptual difference by combining laso with sewi or kasi.

Linguisticsposting :pseudo:

There are certain blues and greens I have real trouble with and I'm sure if I was brought up in that tribe with about 400 colours, most of them shades of blue and green, I'd have been fine

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Has anyone who isn't a complete moron ever tried to create an artificial human language?

Piping hot take.

"Someone with different interests made something I don't care about and/or don't understand. They must be incredibly stupid."

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

PYF > Meme Thread: Someone with different interests made something I don't care about and/or don't understand. They must be incredibly stupid.

If only it would fit...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Has anyone who isn't a complete moron ever tried to create an artificial human language?

Yes , Korean

Edit

Phosphine posted:

I am disappointed to learn the language differentiates. Being blue/green colour blind, I like that there are some languages that just don't give a gently caress and call them the same thing, was hopeful that this was one.

The meme is very much an English joke and in a hypothetical only Toki pona world I'm sure what you are describing would occur, languages like the ones you describe were the inspiration for why blue And green are "melded" and why there is just the one word

Im taking it as a playful jab at the colour system I guess. Nuance is lost going in and out of Toki pona and combined with memes it gets worse

Jestery has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Jul 12, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In the Land of Invented Languages by Arika Okrent is a good read on this very topic if you're interested. Discusses conlangs through the ages and the various reasons people have for creating them.

Unrelated:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

isn’t your native language literally one of the most difficult in the world

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elfface posted:

Why bother having names for colours? Just have the word colour, and then everything is night-colour, blood-colour, fire colour, plant-colour, sky-colour etc.

What colour sky? A blue sky? A grey sky? Red, copper, black?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What colour sky? A blue sky? A grey sky? Red, copper, black?

TV set tuned to a dead channel.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Unkempt posted:

TV set tuned to a dead channel.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Esperanto.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jestery posted:

One of the features of Toki pona is that due to the heavily compressed conceptual space, blue and green are described using the same word and symbol (laso, the plant looking hieroglyphic) because they are right next to each other on the colour wheel. This is less silly than is sounds and there is precedent of this in other natural languages

So it's getting across

Bad - using laso to describe blue and PLANT-LASO to describe green

Good - using laso to describe green and HEAVENLY-LASO for blue

It's an opinion piece on the use of the language. To stretch the meaning of interpretation and give a bit more clarity with sentence structure

"Using laso to mean blue and defining green by referring to plants is inferior. Superior is to assume a more green tone for laso and specify the sky when you mean blue"

Thank you for listening to my TED talk

Thank you for your ted talk, it was genuinely helpful and I am now a better man with a new helpful posting friend

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

largeoof.jpg

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Sports, ladiesandgentlemen, amiri*hit by thrown pint glass*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

This basically happens every time you sleep.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Carbon dioxide posted:

The creators of the original film did an interview a couple years ago where they said the direction SG-1 took was different from what they had in mind and they were planning to finish the trilogy of movies they had originally planned, so two more movies going forward from the original film but into another continuity.

Then a while later a small announcement came that that idea had been shelved indefinitely.

I don't think we'll ever see it, but one can hope I guess.

They've been saying for ages that they wanted to run a trilogy, but no one will fund it because apparently the screenplay is absolutely garbage for what they want to do

Reportedly they really hate SG-1.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

tithin posted:

They've been saying for ages that they wanted to run a trilogy, but no one will fund it because apparently the screenplay is absolutely garbage for what they want to do

Reportedly they really hate SG-1.

which is evidence that the creator of a thing isn't always right. The stargate movie was fine, but SG-1 took it and made it so much better. A show with the same tone as the movie wouldn't have lasted more than 1 season.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can see other ways they could take it but yeah, SG1 was a good show with good characters and acting, it's an interesting take on the star trek formula but with a really good way to set it with current day characters and technology.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The US Air Force absolutely loved SG1, too, with multiple Chiefs of Staff doing guest appearances.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

The US Air Force absolutely loved SG1, too, with multiple Chiefs of Staff doing guest appearances.

Of course they did, they run it. It's just a shame Hammond, of Texas, never has been officially recognized for his service outside of the show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kurt Russel in the movie was the coolest mother fucker I'd ever seen until that time. I think I liked him more than Indiana Jones even if I liked the IJ movies more

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Realtalk though, late 90's/early 00's had about three or four shows about the Navy on the air, and SG1 was pretty much the first and only show to focus on the Air Force, so they got considerable access and support. This was also the reason Jack and Carter never got together, despite the writers wanting to; the Air Force nixed it.

I just love the fact that in the season finale where Anubis attacks Earth the guy in the Oval Office telling the president about the Goa'uld ships entering the atmosphere was the actual Air Force Chief of Staff. He clearly was a fan.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

This basically happens every time you sleep blink.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

Realtalk though, late 90's/early 00's had about three or four shows about the Navy on the air, and SG1 was pretty much the first and only show to focus on the Air Force, so they got considerable access and support. This was also the reason Jack and Carter never got together, despite the writers wanting to; the Air Force nixed it.

I just love the fact that in the season finale where Anubis attacks Earth the guy in the Oval Office telling the president about the Goa'uld ships entering the atmosphere was the actual Air Force Chief of Staff. He clearly was a fan.

I have watched stargate sg-1 in its entirety like 20 times over and i didn't know this. Thank you for this fact, moon mod.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I love Stargate too, even the last two Fargate seasons. Too bad towards the end it really starts to strain credulity that with the US military having multiple large off-world bases and between them the US, China, and Russia fielding about a dozen interstellar spaceships they still manage to keep it a secret.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I will say that as much as I love SG-1 there are a lot of garbage episodes and I'd dearly love it if someone compiled a list of "good SG1 episodes" so I could just whack all that poo poo into a playlist and watch it through while skipping a lot of the awful poo poo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tithin posted:

I will say that as much as I love SG-1 there are a lot of garbage episodes and I'd dearly love it if someone compiled a list of "good SG1 episodes" so I could just whack all that poo poo into a playlist and watch it through while skipping a lot of the awful poo poo

just google sg1 watch guide, theres a ton depending on your limit

i did it for TNG

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

I love Stargate too, even the last two Fargate seasons. Too bad towards the end it really starts to strain credulity that with the US military having multiple large off-world bases and between them the US, China, and Russia fielding about a dozen interstellar spaceships they still manage to keep it a secret.

It's not like "public reaction to all this coming into the open" would have ruined the formula or anything. They could have done a lot with it.

Oh, right, memes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I had some left over.. you can have some if.. if you like. It's not like I like you or anything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJKgi2e-Aw

Were you one that posted The Existential Threat video a few pages back?

Just wanted to pass along my thanks, that’s been getting a lot of mileage in my Spotify. I have a feeling this one is going to be stuck in the queue for the forseeable future as well :)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, if we're talking Stargate, what about the other spin-offs?

Atlantis was fiiine but somehow I have trouble bringing myself to rewatch it.
Universe was a failure. They tried something new which was focusing on the personal fights among broken people and that didn't work. They finally pulled out of that in season 2 and were working on setting up an overarching plot - but by then the series already had been cancelled. Honestly I would've liked to see where it would've gone if they'd gotten the chance.
The old Stargate Infinity cartoon - I don't know. I'm not sure if I watched it, but if I did I somehow immediately forgot about it again.

And then there's Stargate Origins, the zero budget miniseries they made in 2018 as an attempt to judge fan's reactions to a new series and also to get them to pay for some Stargate-specific streaming service. It was just bad, this is not how you get fans excited for something.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Killer robot posted:

It's not like "public reaction to all this coming into the open" would have ruined the formula or anything. They could have done a lot with it.

Oh, right, memes.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

just google sg1 watch guide, theres a ton depending on your limit

i did it for TNG

Gonna have to say, Citizen Joe is probably one of my favourite episodes of Stargate, in how it completely shits on the fans (played by Dan Castellaneta). I mean sure, it’s a bottle/recap episode of the series, but I love how it approaches the idea of some random watching the SG-1 team’s adventures (through space magic), and slowly spiralling out of control.

Plus, when he finally meets the SG-1 team, his behaviour towards them is most definitely poo poo that the writers/actors have received from fans.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Reverse the captions and its perfect

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What's the other option? :confused:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Koshantti konyoneantti kowhontti kosn'tintti koantti kompletecontti koronmontti koverentti koedtrintti kotontti koatecrentti konantti komanhuntti konguagelantti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Does Esperanto count?