Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know what this means.

Have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GrandMaster posted:

All the time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cohsae posted:

Can't believe after all these years we're back to "the cake is a lie."
Time truly is a flat circle.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There is a basement and it is always flooded with sewage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good point

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nerds and their fuckin beards lol

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

cohsae posted:

Time truly is a flat circle.

It isn't that the cake is a lie. It's that the lie is a cake.

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

Please direct me to the wonderful movie theater where you can get all that stuff for only $30.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The cake meme is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0TN04sH654&t=98s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was borderline DOA a'la "They did surgery on a grape" but COVID and hellworld really bled every drop from the stone.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cohsae posted:

Time truly is a flat cake.

:hmmyes:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

drat it's so sad watching this without the laugh track. I feel like Colbert Report would hold up without it but this just really emphasizes how flat all the jokes are when he does the little pause for audience laughter.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mauser posted:

drat it's so sad watching this without the laugh track. I feel like Colbert Report would hold up without it but this just really emphasizes how flat all the jokes are when he does the little pause for audience laughter.

The other late-night hosts are suffering from the exact same thing. Really tells you something about what the format needs to succeed, and why.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GrandMaster posted:

No, have you?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think Conan is legit the naturally funniest comedian out there and I love all of his remotes, but I don't watch his show because late night just sucks. I don't care about celebrities

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

I think Conan is legit the naturally funniest comedian out there and I love all of his remotes, but I don't watch his show because late night just sucks. I don't care about celebrities

Definitely avoid the pandemic episodes then. It's like watching someone drown.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I've found that Colbert has been pretty good, at least with his monologues. Seth Meyers has also been really enjoyable, and has definitely changed up his patter to account for the lack of audience response

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just miss Ferguson. His whole deconstructing the format thing just worked for me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All the time. Always have been.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Taeke posted:

I just miss Ferguson. His whole deconstructing the format thing just worked for me.

I forgot why he's off the air, was it just time for his show to end?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

RFC2324 posted:

Letterman retired, and his company was producing Ferguson's show. So Craig was pretty much forced off to be replaced by loving James Corden. A goddamn travesty, really.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
John Oliver still is really good imo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RFC2324 posted:

I don't know if it's 100% the reason he quit or not, but he was (contractually) supposed to replace Letterman but CBS went with Colbert instead. So he took his $5 million in penalty money and walked away when his contact ended

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If something needs laugh tracks to be funny it's automatically bad

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Azhais posted:

I don't know if it's 100% the reason he quit or not, but he was (contractually) supposed to replace Letterman but CBS went with Colbert instead. So he took his $5 million in penalty money and walked away when his contact ended

I think it was also a known thing for years that Colbet’s contracts also lined up with Letterman’s, so there was mutual interest in Colbert taking that job for a while.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

dialhforhero posted:

John Oliver still is really good imo.

If anything, he's even better because he doesn't have to wait for the audience to shut the gently caress up so he can deliver the next joke.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zzulu posted:

I'm going to defend this slightly and say that decades of experience and what is effectively muscle memory are likely driving the laugh break pauses. Colbert has been pausing for laughter after his jokes basically all his life. Hard to stop now.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We are forgetting what's important.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_otz6umycvd1wq6rd2.mp4

Out of Touch Thursday.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zzulu posted:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Are you insinuating that Cheers, Friends, The IT Crowd, Frasier, Two and a Half Men, and Big Bang Theory are bad?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

CopperHound posted:

Are you insinuating that Cheers, Friends, The IT Crowd, Frasier, Two and a Half Men, and Big Bang Theory are bad?

Yes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Frasier is good actually

e: I think it might be the one exception. IT Crowd is ruined in hindsight by the Glinner association.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I like sitcoms :(

*tries to think of a good sitcom*

*Fails*

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I remember Wings being pretty good, and thankfully it is obscure enough that I have never seen a single reference to it on the internet and I will never have to be disabused of this notion.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

RFC2324 posted:

He detested the format and went in to resign, but it was just after Letterman had internally announced his timetable for retirement. The network didn't want both shows to change hosts at the same time, so they gave Craig's show the new studio in return for him staying on past Letterman's retirement. This was his "I don't give a gently caress and they can't fire me" period, and it was some of the best TV in history.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

RFC2324 posted:

I like sitcoms :(

*tries to think of a good sitcom*

*Fails*

Spaced

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Laugh tracks? gently caress off, I don't believe in made-up nonsense.

-looking at Office Jim turning to the camera and making a face so the audience knows to laugh- Wow, that is SO true!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always sunny seasons 1-7 are good

you know when to laugh when you're watching it because McElhenney breaks character in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If anything, he's even better because he doesn't have to wait for the audience to shut the gently caress up so he can deliver the next joke.

counter-point, I'm a big fan of when the audience is laughing and he breaks his 'stern british man talking down to you' character with a smirk while he is waiting for them to stop. Its very good.