Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Somfin posted:

How were you s'posed to know he had a heart condition, 'chu?

I PICKED THE VOLTAGE YOU PUFFBALL gently caress. I PICKED THE VOLTAGE AND NOW THERE'S A LONELY loving CHARMANDER OUT THERE. Still waiting for Blue to come back from the hospital. Last week we had those rains, I swear I saw him, middle of main and fifth with his tail in the loving air trying to snuff himself out. Saw him again yesterday. God loves all his creatures, puff, but we ain't his. We're theirs. Their monsters. And they ain't got mercy in their hearts.

Jesus.

Yeah. That's why I drink. Get me another double, would ya?

Holy poo poo I forgot about this part of Cop Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Anyone have that captain falcon smash + dril motorcycle tweet?

E: https://snowradish.tumblr.com/post/179658260344

itskage has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Nov 22, 2018

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the thing that always gets me is the insane standard of "getting my money's worth" that gamers seem to hold. at full price a game is like 60 dollars. that's the equivalent of maybe three movies at the theater + popcorn, or once nice dinner out on the town. a few hours of entertainment either way. yet they act like if the game doesn't hold their attention for months on end, with a 40 hour single-player campaign and 1000 hours of multiplayer content with new poo poo to do all the time, they somehow got ripped off?

what?

It's probably because there's such a huge variation in games. Like you go to a movie + plus popcorn and you know you're getting 1.5 to 3 hours + popcorn for $x. Same with a night on the town. You'll have a good time for some 4-8 hours with friend or a date for some predictable amount of $$.

But with your $60 game you can get some wet blanket like destiny 2 that barely kept you interested for 6 hours of linear story mode, while also trying to hook you with loot boxes and other slot machines with no spending limit.

Or you can spend $60 for Monster Hunter World and spend 130 hours in it doing all of the things despite the shallow story and repetitive gameplay because it's just more fun. And although there's DLC, it's a finite amount so even if you buy it all you will get exactly what you intend to spend money on instead of gambling in hopes of getting something.

But between those somewhere is a $60 game with a great story but only lasted 8 hours and then you ran out of poo poo to do.

And from a completely different angle you can spend $20 on rocket league and get more time out of it than either of those if you really enjoy the game play.

So it's really hard to pin down the value. The whining really comes into play when you might expect to only buy a game once per quarter, but you're looking for games that will keep you engaged for 3 months. People saying that they want to "get thier money's worth" are saying that compared to another game on the market they spent $60 on and got some number of hours out of that they thought was fair.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bike tory posted:

Imo the key difference between a real hobby and other consumptive activities is that a hobby is something that gets more rewarding and enjoyable the more you do it. Consumptive activities gradually lose their appeal as you consume them.

Like compare learning to play a musical instrument to playing video games. The former kinda sucks at first but as you stick with it you get much better and it becomes much more enjoyable, you're able to play for enjoyment rather than just practicing constantly.

The problem living under capitalism is that after work people have so little time or energy that more myopic pursuits are totally understandable.

I'm guessing you have never played a game at a high level? This really breaks down when you apply the same principles. You're dismissing the fact that video games are something you can practice and become skilled at.

For instance I've found practicing really long combos in something like the Marvel vs Capcom series to being just as rewarding as learning the melody to a song on my guitar. They're fun to learn and experiment with. Even more so when you play someone and you're able to beat them in a match executing what you practiced instead of losing because you dropped your combo right at the end giving them the chance to comeback.

Lots of fighting games require hours of practice, learning to read people, becoming confident enough to execute under pressure.

Team shooters where you have to coordinate with a team, and practice your kit. Like a sniper player will spend time working on twitch shooting, so they can react and shoot an opponent instantly and accurately (again under pressure, I've missed so many shots during tense moments)

Or look at MMOs like FF14 where the highest level content requires a group of 8 people to perform the mechanics of their classes and the boss fight by coordinating and communicating with each other over a period of 10-15 minutes. Some fights tuned so difficult that just one person making a mistake will wipe the group.

Even old single player games have a community of speed runners working on finding the fastest way to beat a game, then spending hours practicing to post the fastest times.

Or poo poo like beaglerush's xcom runs where you see an experienced player minimize risks and play through a game in a meticulous manner that allows them to beat it on the hardest difficulty, despite most casual players assuming an 80% chance to hit means they will.

I don't know. Playing an instrument is cool and I practice my guitar almost every day and it's nice that this skill has value outside a digital world, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better use of my free time then just playing video games I like.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I'm trying to be honest here and genuinely ask a question why they don't see games as something that can be practiced for enjoyment.

But feel free to continue responding with mashups of tired catch phrases, this is the meme thread after all.

e: I guess if I remove that one sentence it would sound less snarky on my part. :sigh:

itskage has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Dec 16, 2018

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

K

bike tory posted:

Only a very small number of people play video games the way you describe, but yeah I don't see why you couldn't consider that a hobby.

Speedrunners/competitive FPS/RTS/fighting game players etc I mean. MMOs are not really difficult in my experience, they are literally just skinner boxes.

Less people play the way I describe I agree, but I doubt it's a very small number given the massive size and popularity of competitive games.

MMOs are usually front loaded with lame stuff, but I can assure you challenging content does exist in them. Not about to recommend an MMO to anyone though.

Scaramouche posted:

To tie all this together someone should post a list of all the Rocksmith dlc

Nice.

Zzulu posted:

the difference is that playing a guitarr is cool while being autistically good at MMO's is lame as gently caress

I hope this was enlightening

Maybe guitar, but don't fool yourself if you think whatever lame thing you learned in marching band is cooler than the kids playing fortnite.

Karate Bastard posted:

TOP TEXT

BOTTOM TEXT

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?s=19

Fister Roboto posted:

I appreciate this post. Never be afraid to post what's in your heart.

:justpost:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

close the loving thread. Jesus loving christ.

@staff's account spotted.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hihohe posted:

The only way I would watch game of thrones is, by the end of it, the people rise up and guillotine all the royalty and form a republic or something.
Every character you've grown attached to. No matter how admirable or gracious they are, heads rolling off the platform

What kind of monster would wish this upon Tormond Giantsbane?

Mods?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

RandomFerret posted:

Japanese anime opening themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGu5vAhGR0

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I didn't know I needed this until now.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

What the gently caress

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnYCSwt2Js

this is the highlight of anything related to film reviews

Ebert wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing "Joker". He disagreed with me when I said it was boring, that "Joker" was unwatchable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing to the film's historical importance in the Joker mythos which I didn't dispute.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Isn't part of Married with Children's schtick also that Al never wanted to marry Peg but he got her pregnant so he did exactly what society expected him to do at the time and enter into a miserable life long commitment with her? (Obviously her needs to care for kid either way)

Bottom text

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Besesoth posted:

either today you learned it's a treasure trove or today I sprung a trap

Oh yeah? Then why was Grover house full of comedy gold then huh?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Shouldn’t the Drake one be reversed?

:golfclap: very nice

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I'm so happy there's xcom memes

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Now add kids to the mix.

"I don't like that."

"You just had that last week and you loved it!"

"No I don't want it."

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Someone send this to kiwami japan

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Numberwang!!! posted:

ff6 is prob the only FF I will ever care about and that's because they legit didn't have the technology back then to make it 100% anime

You're fooling yourself!

• The entire cast is chibi sprites.
  • The lead character has green hair.
  • The game starts with people riding in mecha that shoot lasers
  • cute little white fluffy guys with poms and magic help you
  • a recurring villain is a tentacle monster
  • one guy has a kamehameha
  • his master is a hermit and when he teaches the ultimate move it's done while they fight in the air over his house going shing! shing
  • the katana user does the slice through attack complete with the enemies splitting in half after a pause

I mean I can go on but point is it's basically anime and the only reason a lot of people don't see that is because they didn't know what anime was when they played it.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Assuming weed eater.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lodin posted:

Where's happycat and longcat?

Nobody remembers fiestacat.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

am i my flesh or my blood?

This is what I thought too, so I thought it was dumb.

But then if I think about that, I mean you need your blood but you can swap it out for someone else's and be the same person. Not sure that applies to your flesh when the brain is involved.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

No it's always loving weird, you just get desensitized to it.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I like when they shake on the deal.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Somebody posted an article about the Shovel Knight body swaps option, and it included this Mega Man boss gallery, which I will post here for no particular reason.

The boss refights before wily is going to suck.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Every time I try to look at Twitter on my phone, it tells me it can't display tweets because I'm "rate limited." I'm not, and it happens on wifi, too. As a result, I just skip past Twitter links.

Your phone has been compromised and is being used as part of a Twitter bot net.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

"I don't get it what's a Shoto?"

"It's a character that plays like Ryu or Ken"

"Oh cool thanks"

Instead let's have a stupid loving derail.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

unrelated, I haven't dreamed in years.

I have a hard time remembering any dreams. Iirc it's actually a skill you can work in by keeping a log and just genuinely making an effort to remember and think about them. But meh.

My most vivid dreams that I can remember involve writing software and trying to resolve a problem I was working on, and trying all of these things and nothing working and there's a deadline but I'm not being able to see the code as everything was arbitrary dream logic.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bike tory posted:

The timing on this one is :kiss:

I wish they were all like this

Yeah this is the way to do this meme. It needs to be unexpected like the skyrim cart and cut just before the bad happens like the Jojo's <--To be continued round about meme.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I enjoyed them.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Deady Wight

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I don't play that, I would leave someone in a heartbeat if they hit me, joking or not. Zero loving tolerance for that poo poo.

Otoh these couples have a good enough relationship they can play like that vs just getting clocked back. Probably a lot of people watch that thinking how hosed up they'd be if they tried this prank.

This bums me out either way.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nier A spoiler:

Why does it always end like this?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Now I want to see that meme combined with this thing:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I have regrets.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

zoux posted:

If I had got given the Ring of Power, I would've simply used it for good purposes and not evil ones.

Yes! This is exactly what I'm saying! That's why I should be the one to wield it's power. Now let me see it or I'll loving stab someone.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

poo poo I remember this from waay back on ebaums world.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

Why would you want to be in Florida?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah concrete straws are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

"Spicy hot"?