Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

Oh I know but doing suboptimal fun stuff is how I roll.

I loved playing the pirate in Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior, and some of my favourite moments were the couple times I managed to kill someone by throwing my flintlock pistol at their forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

New interview with the lead artist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBt5X7hfOzk

Not too much we didn't know already, but some interesting bits:

- The gameplay will be the priority, not the story, which is about two mercenary armies facing off against each other

- You can use in-game money to unlock certain cosmetic items

- Dedicated servers, not peer-to-peer. They're looking into matchmaking but are wary of releasing a subpar matchmaking system as we've seen in many other games

- Mordhau is not a class-based game; instead, you are free to choose your own load-out through a points system, with certain restrictions based on your initial choices. For example, an archer will not be able to wear full plate armor

- The big team-based game mode that they're still tight-lipped about will not be like Team Objective in Chivalry. It will be non-linear and dynamic, and involve horses and siege weapons

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

It will be non-linear and dynamic, and involve horses and siege weapons

Togheter, hopefully

*loads horse into catapult, rains whinny death upon opponents*

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

With arms wide open, under the sunlight, welcome to this place, I'll show you everything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I can understand a point based system, I hope plate armor knights are as heavily armed as they were in Chivalry. I liked having a the world's biggest hammer at the same time as the world's largest shield and still pretty big sword. Secondary weapons worth a drat are fun.

Meanwhile, stuff like the old Vanguards sounds more favored by the basic concept of point buy "Yeah I'm wearing medium chainmail armor, but that's okay because I have the most powerful sword with the longest reach in the entire game."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not sure how exactly the load-out system will be implemented. Probably the devs themselves are still tweaking it at this point. Judging from some of the videos and screenshots, I suspect that you will be able to create Chivalry-like knights. Anyway, if you have concerns, you could always leave something on their site's forum, they've consistently listened to feedback so far.

Any of you guys know which (preferably free) software is generally used to capture in-game video, create gifs, etc? I want to be ready when the alpha hits a few months from now. It will mostly involve me getting dismembered in various ways, but I don't think that's a problem.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure how exactly the load-out system will be implemented. Probably the devs themselves are still tweaking it at this point. Judging from some of the videos and screenshots, I suspect that you will be able to create Chivalry-like knights. Anyway, if you have concerns, you could always leave something on their site's forum, they've consistently listened to feedback so far.

Any of you guys know which (preferably free) software is generally used to capture in-game video, create gifs, etc? I want to be ready when the alpha hits a few months from now. It will mostly involve me getting dismembered in various ways, but I don't think that's a problem.

I hereby challenge you to a pommel throwing duel and / or fistfight as soon as alpha launches

Man I really hope this is playable with a controller (I know it's supported but that doesn't say much about the real optimization for it) cause i love drunken virtual brawls from the comfort of my couch

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

If you have an Nvidia card, then Shadowplay is both free (bundled with Geforce Experience) and has a really low impact on performance. It also has that useful feature where it passively records along as you go, so anytime something unexpectedly cool happens you just have to press a button to capture whatever happened in the last 5 minutes. For gifs and suchlike, the easiest option is just cutting out the relevant part with windows movie maker or whatever, and then uploading it to gfycat or imgur. That'll do the conversion automatically and also serve as a hoster.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Semi-new interview taken by a guy with a great Slavic accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aCngZKzOkk

Highlights:

- In maps which feature horses, they will spawn in a way similar to aircraft and tanks in the Battlefield series. You can also pick up a lance and try to joust people. Some of the horses will have armor, with the associated benefits and drawbacks.

- Very free-form customization options for weapons, armor, build and face. Created characters will have a specific seed that will allow them to be used later or shared with others.

- Gore: they are in the process of introducing localized wounds to replace the current generic blood-spattered look of wounded characters. Dismemberment depends on the weapon used (so a dagger will never cause it) and its motion (stabbing will obviously not work, it will need to be a more or less perpendicular slicing movement). Heavily armored opponents will obviously be harder to dismember.

Perestroika posted:

If you have an Nvidia card, then Shadowplay is both free (bundled with Geforce Experience) and has a really low impact on performance. It also has that useful feature where it passively records along as you go, so anytime something unexpectedly cool happens you just have to press a button to capture whatever happened in the last 5 minutes. For gifs and suchlike, the easiest option is just cutting out the relevant part with windows movie maker or whatever, and then uploading it to gfycat or imgur. That'll do the conversion automatically and also serve as a hoster.

I have a GTX 1070 so that would be perfect. I can just load up Mordhau, press Alt + Z and tell it to start recording?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

- Gore: they are in the process of introducing localized wounds to replace the current generic blood-spattered look of wounded characters. Dismemberment depends on the weapon used (so a dagger will never cause it) and its motion (stabbing will obviously not work, it will need to be a more or less perpendicular slicing movement). Heavily armored opponents will obviously be harder to dismember

I guess that being a very skill based game the combat will be a rock paper scissor affair and we won't get "better" weapons and armor but tradeoffs, and customization of weapons will be cosmetic only, correct?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

200k stretch goal reached! Mod tools ahoy. Looking forward to whatever people can come up with.

Next goal at 275k is competitive matchmaking which I would kind of expect out of the box from a game like this but maybe I am misunderstanding something?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TorakFade posted:

200k stretch goal reached! Mod tools ahoy. Looking forward to whatever people can come up with.

Next goal at 275k is competitive matchmaking which I would kind of expect out of the box from a game like this but maybe I am misunderstanding something?

I dunno, did Chivalry have competitive matchmaking or just a regular server browser? I know War of the Roses didn't have a Ranked mode (that I can recall).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What they're referring to is an ELO-like ranking and matchmaking system. It's something that takes a lot of effort to get right, and as far as I know it's not in Chiv or War of the Roses, though I've never played the latter.
It's not something I'm super stoked for, and it's a good thing that it will be a separate mode you can opt out of, but it will go a long way towards pleasing the more competitive crowd and keeping the game alive long-term.

I'm just glad we finally reached the mod tools stretch goal. 275K for the next one seems feasible, though it will probably be close. Tell your medieval combat-loving friends!

There's been a new interview in the meantime, and a new gameplay video should be getting released today or tomorrow, as per Marox himself. I'll be posting both when the latter comes out.

e: and yes, customization will be a strictly cosmetic affair

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Here's a new video with a (uncommented) mix of alpha gameplay. Of note is a giant fuckoff hammer, some mounted combat (which seems to work exactly it would on foot, except for the different mode of movement), javelins, and some large group fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYXAKqOtjo

http://i.imgur.com/5dgAUEF.mp4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Looks awesome, I put it in the OP. I really love how fights move seamlessly from fast-paced chambering and parrying to body feints and dodges, and back again. The animation isn't always perfect, but even in this pre-alpha stage it all seems to flow so naturally. I think when we got to the point where people have played long enough to become truly skilled, we're going to see some amazing fights.

One thing I didn't like is people getting disarmed, which I saw once or twice. It's not something that should be happening, in my opinion. I'll definitely make my feelings on it known during alpha.

Anyway, there's also been a second interview with Teripper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXgLRrCKYz0

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Looked to me like you automatically get disarmed if you try to parry with zero stamina, which does seem a bit harsh.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know it's not exactly the right thread to ask in, but how's the chivalry server population these days, especially with the free giveaway they did a couple days ago? is it exclusively people who have been playing it for the past 3 years and have windmill behind-the-back decapitations ingrained in their muscle memory? my "game to fiddle with while i watch something on my second monitor" slot is currently vacant and reinstalling chivalry might fill it for a while

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's a Chiv thread here.

Europe still has plenty of full servers any time of the day, can't speak for North America. The skill level is pretty high, though. More than half the people on any given server will usually be veterans with hundreds of hours logged.

Anyway, Mordhau's tagline is basically 'Chivalry but without the bullshit', so if that's your jam you might want to keep an eye on this.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

There's a Chiv thread here.

Europe still has plenty of full servers any time of the day, can't speak for North America. The skill level is pretty high, though. More than half the people on any given server will usually be veterans with hundreds of hours logged.

Anyway, Mordhau's tagline is basically 'Chivalry but without the bullshit', so if that's your jam you might want to keep an eye on this.

I abandoned Chivalry as soon as I couldn't access the newbie servers anymore. It was too aggravating going from the nice, if chaotic, free-for-alls with semi-competent people and total newbies to WHIRLWIND DEATH WITHIN 5 SECONDS.

So how's this Mirage beta? For sure it looks like dogshit, really not a fan of the art style or graphics.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I didn't like the mirage alpha much. It just didn't have the same charm and it felt sluggish. Maybe it's improved but I also only gave it about fifteen minutes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You were in the Mirage alpha? Well, alpha is alpha, but I must admit I'm not too excited for that game either. On the other hand, I wonder if we're giving it a fair shake. People were expecting Chivalry 2, and instead we get this gaudy-looking magic game. I saw a guy in the Steam thread who's in beta say that he actually liked the combat despite the serious balance issues it has at this point.

Torak, Mordhau seems like a game where you'll still get your rear end kicked by the pros with 1,000+ hours logged, but at least when you die it will be your own fault and not because you couldn't parry the groundsniffing Vanguard's bizarre-looking 0.01 second reverse overhead.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

Torak, Mordhau seems like a game where you'll still get your rear end kicked by the pros with 1,000+ hours logged, but at least when you die it will be your own fault and not because you couldn't parry the groundsniffing Vanguard's bizarre-looking 0.01 second reverse overhead.

With alpha access, I will be the pro with 1000 hours logged :smug:

... It's a lie, I am bad at games. I just don't want to see people bent in half whirling around like some unholy medieval plate armored dervish with a rubber spine. Just want to bumble around trading blows and being all knight like

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

I just don't want to see people bent in half whirling around like some unholy medieval plate armored dervish with a rubber spine. Just want to bumble around trading blows and being all knight like

A perfectly reasonable hope to have. I'm the guy who's high points in Chivalry are pulling a shortsword to kill a Man at arms who had pro-psychic parry timing for my main weapons, causing the Man at arms to scream that MMAs are OP out of apparent reflex over a shortsword kill from a Vanguard.

On that note, really hoping to still be able to bring an entire arsenal of nice weapons plus jumbo shield as a plate armor knight like in Chiv. That and being able to always have cool secondary weapons in general.

Point buy, the way those systems tend to go, will probably end up with some very "gently caress you, got mine" results even with the best of intentions for the Knight mindset. Archers will be stuck with daggers and T-shirts because bows will have inflated prices, which people will cheer for because "gently caress archers". Career Vanguards will get good armor alongside the best weapons in the game, which they will cheer for because "No see, having min/maxed offenseive AND defensive capability is fair!". Man at arms style players will be in luck because they will be able to carry a shitload more weapons (in theory) thanks to light armor.

Meanwhile, somebody wanting to play like a Chiv Knight will just be shorted constantly, and told how fair point buy is while every other class duplicate playstyle still works. compared to "Biggest armor, biggest shield, biggest hammer, AND a pretty big sword that can still one-shot decapitate an archer" arsenals I've grown fond of.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 1, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Point buys can easily also apply to movement speed and special skills like dodge so I've got a feeling the system will be balanced around Chiv's main 4 classes anyway.

The whole thing with Chiv is that's it's a great reference design for this sort of game because it got almost everything perfect but got screwed over by the exploitability of the game engine, incidentally that is also why I have such high hopes for Mordhau.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Game seems cool. Any word on how much customization there'll be? If I wanted to run around as a man-at-arms but with a scimitar and poo poo is that something I'd be able to do?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Game seems cool. Any word on how much customization there'll be? If I wanted to run around as a man-at-arms but with a scimitar and poo poo is that something I'd be able to do?

They've not gone into very much detail quite yet, but from the looks of it will be fairly free-form with no real set classes. You just pick pieces of armour (classed as light, medium, and heavy) for your guy, and then pick whatever weapons you like on top of that. Most likely there'll be a point-buy system or something to do with weight/encumbrance to give it some balance so that you won't have everyone running around with the heaviest armour and a hundred weapons.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not only that, but you will also be able to customize your guy and personalize your weapons/armor. They did a dev blog about it last July:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0F_I5zyOg

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

loving brutal :black101:

Some of that horseback game play looks jank as hell but the game is pre-alpha after all.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
All we need are two soccer goals, assuming the head can be kicked afterwards.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jamfrost posted:

All we need are two soccer goals, assuming the head can be kicked afterwards.

And that is why we're lucky to have reached the mod tools stretch goal :v:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Should be more like hungry hungry hippos. Collect as many heads in your goal as possible.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

SMP posted:

Should be more like hungry hungry hippos. Collect as many heads in your goal as possible.

Equip all players with metal rakes. :aaa:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Looking at the pledges ($222,151 as of this post) with five days left I'm wondering if they will get to the third stretch goal (competitive matchmaking at $275,000). Most Kickstarters get a big boost during the last 48 hours, but I don't know if it'll be to the tune of 50K. I hope so.

AndyElusive posted:

Some of that horseback game play looks jank as hell but the game is pre-alpha after all.

I was thinking the same thing. Mounted combat will probably be fun and hilarious, but it looks more silly than badass at this point (unlike the regular fighting which I legitimately think already looks cool). Some of the walking/running animations could use a bit of work, too. But as you say, pre-alpha, and the Kickstarter money should go a long way towards improving this.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 2, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tenth update! We get a look at all of the Kickstarter-exclusive cosmetic items. The gold teeth look stupid as hell and I love it:

Casuals will shudder when they see a Kickstarter veteran with these grillz

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

:staredog:

I guess my Little John analogy wasn't far off.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Little more than 1 day left and it doesn't look like we'll reach the 275k stretch goal. I think they were overambitious in spacing them, raising this kind of money in 30 days isn't easy for what's basically a niche game.

Oh well as long as they deliver a playable game I will be happy!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, I saw your post this morning and I was going to say you're right, but some beautiful madman backed the God-Emperor tier a few hours ago. $6,000 and 22 hours left, it's in the bag. Competitive matchmaking is in.

The campaign was really successful either way, they're at almost 350℅ of the original goal. Again, Chivalry only got 85K back in the day.

e: by the way, they're doing an AMA on r/games right now

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

Well, I saw your post this morning and I was going to say you're right, but some beautiful madman backed the God-Emperor tier a few hours ago. $6,000 and 22 hours left, it's in the bag. Competitive matchmaking is in.

The campaign was really successful either way, they're at almost 350℅ of the original goal. Again, Chivalry only got 85K back in the day.

e: by the way, they're doing an AMA on r/games right now

Holy poo poo, dropping 10 grand on this on the very last day? That takes some serious disposable income, and the only reason to do it now and not before would be to help reaching the goal.

I guess whoever the rich guy is, he must really really like competitive ELO matchmaking

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Did it, 275.101$ now. Unless the God emperor of money-wasting pulls out last minute, it's done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Weeeeeeeeeeeell, hopefully it's not a fake contribution.

• Locked thread