Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my 2013 mazda 3 doesn't have power locks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your car is a piece of poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

remember when power steering and intermittent windshield wipers were options

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my dads 1989 isuzu trooper had power locks and manual windows and the little smokers window

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
my 2005 corolla has a behind the dash input for a disc changer, but that same input can take an adapter for an aux input that I put in :smugmrgw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hifi posted:

my dads 1989 isuzu trooper had power locks and manual windows and the little smokers window

it's weird these days to think that smoking was once so universal that cars used to come with those little windows and all-around ashtrays

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the little window was way loving better for ventilation than tilting sunroofs or rolling down the window. you could have a conversation and even if you didn't it seems like every car these days has hosed up aerodynamics so you get crazy buffeting above 30 mph.

my parents had a 2001 5 series for a while and that thing had like 5 ashtrays and i think this was the work of some joker, but it had a rear 12v that had a cigarette lighter in it. also a diagram of how to fit like 5 golf club bags in the back

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hifi posted:

also a diagram of how to fit like 5 golf club bags in the back

the whitest car

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

read some luxury car brochures sometime -- they basically all give a trunk space golf bag equivalent

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ok it was only 3. really thick plastic with velcro backing on it too

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hifi posted:

this is epic

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Syncopated posted:

I heard nz is flooding, stay safe farmer ghost.

nope.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

lmao

at me coz i can only afford ten year old cars

talking to bank tomorrow about huge loan to start drug dealing den

i upgraded from 2009 g6 to 2007 impala

someone put in 3rd party audio system and it only support bluetooth calling, not music. Also I think a fuse it out because I don't hear the blinker beeps and such anymore

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

i upgraded from 2009 g6 to 2007 impala

someone put in 3rd party audio system and it only support bluetooth calling, not music. Also I think a fuse it out because I don't hear the blinker beeps and such anymore
GM cars had all that poo poo go through the drivers speaker via the radio via the data bus. There are replacement modules that can replace that function in aftermarket headunits but some people don't bother. Don't buy a GM

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hifi posted:

my sister's Infiniti G37 coupe had the same thing but with instructions on how to put the bags into the trunk.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how is that even an option?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I recently rented a car that didnt have bluetooth or cruise control. This was a 2017 mitsubishi mirage. I guess I saw it and was like "oh wait I drove one of these in 2006," but I guess now its a city car with literally nothing and a 3-cylinder engine lmao. The usb port was in the glove box

burning swine
May 26, 2004

my '90 lexus has carplay and bluetooth

lol if you bought a car that's going to run for 20 or 30 years and has a non-replaceable nav/audio unit that's going to be embarrassingly outdated in 18 months

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
if my car didn't have mylink or bluetooth it would be impossible to get audio out of my new phone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

my '90 lexus has carplay and bluetooth

lol if you bought a car that's going to run for 20 or 30 years and has a non-replaceable nav/audio unit that's going to be embarrassingly outdated in 18 months

let me just run down to the local audio installer and pick up a oval shaped head unit

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jesus lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

hifi posted:

let me just run down to the local audio installer and pick up a oval shaped head unit

that's the most hosed up proprietary bullshit headunit i've ever seen. holy poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hifi posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Install-Mercury-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL4NS4

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hifi posted:

ford taurus / mercury sable from the shameful 90s period of oval shaped fords

they make adapters for those though

still shameful but also still more upgradable than most cars made these days

e: gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm the edit gently caress

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

ford taurus / mercury sable from the shameful 90s period of oval shaped fords

they make adapters for those though

still shameful but also still more upgradable than most cars made these days

e: gently caress

you're post was better :tipshat:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh, my car has one of those too but it's a little more symmetrical

iuno i kinda like it personally.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

oh, my car has one of those too but it's a little more symmetrical

iuno i kinda like it personally.

mingling hvac controls with audio is a sin

dashes like these were the beginning of the end

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

the whitest rap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

fortunately in behind that faceplate it's just three mechanical dials and the radio bit is separate. hence why it's easy to swap for a regular DIN unit.

i don't like the awkward "square jammed into the circle" look of any of the options, though. i could design and 3d print/cnc a better arrangement probably but that's a lot of effort for no real reason

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

:agreed:

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
ten year old car crew checkin in

getting proper audio/power from your iphone is pretty easy these days

get an old dock with line out and charging: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-Apple-iPhone-5-5S-Dock-MF030ZM-A-White-/171961480730

then just buy a lightning extension cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018HD4RP0/

plug extension cable into dock, shove it all in the glovebox, and now you have audio/charging in your car!!!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
my glove box is already full of documentation and condoms though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

nah those controls are easy as hell to understand even if its 90s/00s ugly design. i had one of those and finding the controls for both hvac and audio with ur hands while driving was incredibly easy cause everything has a position.

contrast that with my 2013 accord that has completely separate hvac and audio controls but requires you to look down at the lcd display on the hvac to see what the temperature is set to.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

sounds like the problem is less where the controls are, and more that they can't be operated by feel :sad:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hifi posted:

lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my car plays mp3 cds. get poo poo on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbf ford made like a billion of those tauruses so you can probably find those head units at any local salvage yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

realized recently that my gf's car has fog lights and got real excited because I think fog lights are neat

that's my car story

• Locked thread