Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.




You think you've got it
Oh, you think you've got it
But got it just don't get it,
When there's nothin' at all...


Influence, Plan, and Heat Doc! Important!

-

High Gear: Ugh! You almost got exactly what you wanted from Lancelot before the impatience and foolishness of your alliance members ruined the whole thing! Justicar’s presence was an unforeseen variable, but you would’ve figured out a way to deal with her. You’re a master of dealing with the unexpected, after all.

Speaking of unexpected findings… after that TRAITOROUS rear end in a top hat Riot sold out the location of your base to the Knights, you were forced to flee with the Grand Manufactory. Yes, with the Manufactory, not from it, as due to your incredible genius and copious amounts of free time you designed a base that was both modular and mobile. Alas, the only place you could relocate too was the site of your old base, before Ebony Mask hooked you up with the far larger and more expansive place you had called home. Returning to your old digs will require a lot of scrunching, especially considering that the motley crew you call your allies seem unable to sleep with a roof over their head unless you build one for them.

But wait! Your genius has averted even that problem! Before you left, you set up a linked cluster of Automatic Excavation and Construction Units (AECUs!), of your own design, of course, to expand the basement of the old base by a mighty 20.00 floors. Even considering the fact that you’ve been shipping excess material here for storage, that should be more than enough space. Now, to connect to the computer and check on things…

code:
Greetings, Creator High Gear,
Construction is currently… in progress...
Last Floor Completed is… Unknown...
To Inspect a Specific Floor, Please Input ‘Floor #1-2000’ Below
______
Two thousand. That’s not right. You try to bring up a set of basement schematics; it’s so dense as to be unreadable. You did not foresee the need to code a zoom out feature. Did you, perhaps, make a tiny input error when you left the old base? Have your robots been continually drilling and building downwards for… quite a while, now, trying to fulfill the impossible goal of an eight-thousand meter deep basement?

More than enough space, indeed…

-

One Week After the… Altercation between Lancelot and Justicar and the, hm, y'all need a Team Name, don’t you?


Location: The Labyrinth, Below High Gear's Grand Manufactory
Theme: The Wretched Automatons - Nier

Everybody: Well, now you have a material, concrete (ha!), reason to stick around – there is more space here than most citizens of Avalon City could even dream of, and best of all, it’s completely yours for the taking!

-

High Gear Pt.2 : WHAT.

-

Everybody Again: Seriously though, the Labyrinth is absolutely enormous – the construction robots ran out of sensor parts some time ago, so no one even knows how far down it truly goes. Apparently, the robots were drawing from some kind of bootleg architecture database, and the algorithm refused to reuse the same set of blueprints more than once. It tried mightily to stick to High Gear’s industrial style, but after the first thirty floors…

A floor mimicking a typical Avalon City apartment complex, keys dangling from the locks. A floor were every room is made of bamboo and paper. A floor that’s just hallways. A car-park floor (There are lots of elevators, but none are big enough for cars. Motorcycles, maybe…). The deeper you go, the weirder it gets. And many of the rooms are furnished, too. Scrap chairs, tables, and bedframes sourced by thrifty magitech robots from the surface. Sure, it’s not high class, and the view sucks, but if you carried around a good mattress you could sleep in a new room each night, completely wreck it in the morning, and not run into trouble for a loooong time. In fact, that literally might be what some of you are doing!

What room/floor/set of floors did you claim in the Labyrinth that seemed most comfortable to you, or if not that, then at least interesting?

-

Tock: It was strange seeing someone who, however briefly, could eclipse your hatred for Blackstaff, but Lancelot was just that much of an rear end in a top hat. It was even stranger, the way your heart ticked and tocked just a little faster after Wild Bull decked him right in the face. Well, the look she gave you later smothered that old flame, but still, compared to your old work under Blackstaff, the last mission was surprisingly entertaining. Lots of figures to laugh at, at least.

And now you’re in the Labyrinth; a simply wonderful place for secrets. It is a delightful piece of irony that of all the things High Gear’s created, the only thing to somewhat impress you was his mistake (and no matter what he says, you know it was a mistake. No one like him creates something like this without bragging about it constantly.)

Outside the Labyrinth, away from the others, Mallor spoke to you. Her eyes deadened with the acceptance of her slavery, “The master sends his kind regards. Justiciar so often gets ideas above her station, and Lancelot is...” She summarized, “A prick. Their embarrassment was to his benefit.” She got to the point, “As you know, our master always repays favors. He has ordered me to inform you that: As long as you do not act against any of his assets, he is prepared to ignore your little band of misfits.” Having delivered the message, she left.

On one hand, having a hero of the Table firmly decide to ignore your crimes is quite the helpful boon for a newly formed villainous alliance. On the other hand…

That smug piece of poo poo. Who does he think he is, declaring he's going to ignore you? That’s not his decision anymore!

Acting against him now would send a strong message, but perhaps you could let him hang by the rope he’s giving you. Plot around his acceptance of your team, go on a few easy missions, get them to trust you, maybe learn to trust them (no, never), and when you feel like they can work together semi-functionally fashion strike against Blackstaff fast and hard. Lots of decisions to make. Lots of time to stew.

What do you do?

-

Wild Bull: Oh man, after so much timed spent hanging with all these nerds, landing that punch on Lancelot was the moment of catharsis you needed! Throwing Justiciar on her rear end felt pretty good, too, but the real highlight of your week was when you stepped out unto a hitherto unexplored floor of the Labyrinth, with strangely real grass carpeting the floor, sun-imitating lights above, and in the far corner...

A stable. For Gertrude

Every morning since has involved playing a rousing game of Catch and Throw Disk (the earlier name of the sport was lost in the apocalypse) with Gertrude and Pompom. A park of this size would only be found in the bourgiest parts of Avalon City, and inevitably filled with the kind of assholes who would report a beautiful, peaceful creature like Gertrude to the Knights for being a ‘threat to public safety’. Having a space like this, just you and the animals, its dope as hell. Your mind started to buzz with thoughts of adopting a couple more animal friends. Maybe busting some holes in the floor above, and having Nerd Rear’s robots install some pipes for a cooling waterfall. It all seemed so perfect, until you discovered them.

Pompom started barking, Gertrude biting at the ground. Horror filled your mind. No, it couldn’t be.



Sweet flames of hatred! The underground park was already inhabited! A clan of cute little gophers had found their way into the monolithic underground structure and made it their home. If Gertrude stayed… they’d have to go, or risk being chomped. She just wanted to play! With her teeth! Why? Why was life so unfair? Why was nature so cruel?

What do you do?

...otherwise, you could’ve, if you wanted to, put in some effort finding a good room near Black Squires'. Hint cough hint.

-

Ursula Hoffnung: Hm, this is quite surprising. High Gear’s magitech robots definitely exceeded your expectations, and possibly their own creator’s. Their algorithms were able to excavate, plan, and construct floor after floor with no human supervision and a paucity of resources. It’s the kind of undertaking that, if presented to the scholars of the Halls of Illumination, would be dismissed as an infeasible fantasy. Perhaps the creation of the Labyrinth gives you some hope for your own scientific quest – the impossible made possible through risk and innovation. There is one problem, though…

There. Are. So. Many. Stairs. Whatever values High Gear input into his machines, wheelchair accessibility was not one of them. Sure, you have ways to deal with the issue, but what intelligent mind would design machines that found it acceptable to create elevators that eject into staircases that only lead to other elevators??? There are sets of fractal stairscases! What kind of bullshit is this!

Other than that constant frustration, one question tugs at your mind. One of your survey robots found, well lucked into, a broken down AECU unit. It died as it lived, drilling mindlessly downwards, and was left by its companions to rust in undisturbed peace. Until you found it.

You have the tools to dissect it available, but… delving into the secrets of other scientists without asking is a definite faux pas. No, let me rephrase that, it’s rude as gently caress. Still, if you asked for High Gear's permission… do you think he’d trust you enough to let you snoop around his work, even some that was from his younger days? Do you ask for permission? Do you dissect the machine, and then ask for forgiveness, or simply gamble on the procedure going unnoticed, or do you just leave the thing alone? For now, at least. You have a bond in mutual betrayal - all of you want vengeance against Riot, and to be caught picking someone's secrets behind their back might truly fracture what little trust the alliance shares. Perhaps it would be best to contain your curiosity for a more appropriate time, but then again, what you could learn from unrestricted access to one of High Gear's more complex robots...

Occasionally, your mind wanders to your old mentor. What is she up to? Roll your birthright (2d6+0) to see if Margravine Simmons has any interest in her wayward pupil.

What do you do?

...If you want to try and find a suitable, stairless floor near Black Squire's abode. That's your decision. Be aware you might face some... bullish competition.

I apologize in advance for asking you to be the last one to write a First Caper bit, and then posting the thread without giving you much time to reply, but I wanted to get the thread up ASAP. I would still love to see why, from Ursula’s perspective, the team kept together over the last week.
Welp.

-

The Black Squire - It was such a shame. The alliance honestly had a pretty good plan, and even an alright backup plan. The improvised, third-string emergency plan at least looked good enough, and it still ended up going bad that you had to abandon the base – er, abandon the place the base was. The base moved with you, weird, huh.

And then you lucked into the find of the century… or, at least, that seems to be what the others think. Look, you’ve had your share of fun exploring too, but you know what’s going to be on the next floor down, and the next, and the next – more random poo poo! It’s not going to pay the bills, and it’s not going to help you find a cure. Hey High Gear! Stop looking so mopey, can you use these robots to drill into bank vaults? That’d actually be useful!

Which leads to the next point... To be blunt, you’re probably the only likeable person in the alliance. And that has the effect of making you very well liked in what is ostensibly an ‘organization of equals’. You’re not an idiot, Wild Bull stares like a bull in, well, you get it, and Ursula’s double entendres are a lot less subtle than she thinks. All you have to do is throw a couple winks their way, and they’d back you up for sure, probably. And who would oppose you? High Gear, Ea’Lyiz, and Tock? The former pair would fight each other on principle alone, and the latter isn’t trusted by anyone with enough brains to roll out of the bed in the morning. You could lead this crew, easy.

Buuuut, do you really want to? Being swept along for the ride can be a lot of fun, and there’s an old saying you only started to hear once you left the Knights and hung out in more villainous circles – "the mastermind never has a good time." You could take charge in leading this herd of cats, but, is that where your heart lies? Does that even matter, if stepping up is the only way to actually get things done around here?

What do you do?

-

Ea’Lyiz – You were not surprised. You were not embarrassed, and most of all, you definitely didn’t sulk after Riot sold our the team. The fact that her revealing the location of the original base lead to the discovery of the Labyrinth actually means it was a good thing it happened! If the others don’t see it that way, well, they are simply too limited creatures to understand your incredible foresight.

…Exploring the Labyrinth has been a really nice way of keeping your mind off of Riot. High Gear’s mistake (and you know it was a mistake because you could read the distress from his mind. But even if you hadn’t, you’re sure you would’ve figured out that his greatest creation was a complete accident, because how could it not be with that buffoon!) is a veritable treasury of human oddities. Floating up and down the elevator shafts, 'the dew' in hand, has been one of most relaxing activities you’ve discovered since been deposited on this rock. It was only when you put yourself several thousand meters beneath the surface, and the continuous mental chatter of the city faded away, that you realized you had forgotten the pleasure of silence.

Then you began to feel quite ill.

After a quick sweep of the area, the source became obvious. You were deep enough that the drilling robots had outpaced the building robots, and raw rock was exposed to the air. Some of it, a particular vein in a wall, glowed a with bright, pinkish light. Adjacency to the odd rock, whatever you called it, had an immediate and distressing effect – it nullified your psionic abilities.

The pleasant silence of not hearing anything was replaced by the terrifying void of not being able to hear anything. You quickly retreated, and it was with great relief that you felt your senses slowly return to normal. An exciting thought crossed your mind – this rock, harvested and forged into a weapon, would the perfect counter to Riot. Not that you needed to counter Riot, you could overpower her easily, after all, but it was appropriately dramatic for her to be defeated by a strange substance from her own world. That was it.

But… to gather and use the pink ore would be to reveal it’s power to the others. It’s power to nullify not only Riot, but you, and likely all the other Hymfazther. The idea of causing a small cave in, and burying the ore forever, also crossed your mind. You were very deep in the Earth. Perhaps you were the first to ever discover this strange material and it’s effect on psychics? Hm, possibly, probably, but not certainly. To bring the pink stone to the surface would be to trust your alliance members to only use it against a mutual enemy. To bury it might mean losing a useful tool, not only against Riot, but against Fhy'oni and other rebellious Hymfazther, forever. To simply ignore it… Putting off your problems for another day wasn’t always a bad idea.

The Junkers have been sending you messages, whining about your absence. It’s bothersome, and you’re almost tempted to simply invite them into the Labyrinth. There’s certainly space for them. Plus, it’d probably piss off High Gear!

What do you do?

Since I’m putting a lot of narrative weight into High Gear’s Grand Manufactory as a base, I want to offer you the opportunity to exchange the ‘Lower Gardens Apartment Complex Base’ asset for another. It doesn’t have to be the ‘strange anti-psionic pink stone’, but if you decide to go that route it would allow you to receive immediate mechanical benefit. Don’t feel pressured to pick now, though, I’m leaving this offer open until you decide to use the 'Gardens base asset' in a roll, or until the end of the first issue. Whatever comes first.

-

High Gear, Pt. 3: Hahahaha, you’re genius is so great that even your mistakes result in wonders! Truly, you are the most praiseworthy and intelligent mind to be born ---- ever!

… You almost hosed up really bad. If you’d programmed a little less care for stability into the AECU’s, they would’ve certainly overextended, and the resulting collapse probably would’ve hurt thousands of people for nothing. A little more aggressive self-repair and reproduction, and they would’ve likely grey-gooed a fourth of the city before being stopped. Once it came out that you hadn’t intended to unleash a plague of robots, and that you merely wanted them to dig a basement, you would’ve been the laughing stock of the city. Before being executed, of course. The fact that it ended up as good as it did was only a stroke of luck, and that pisses you off.

But still, what a result. The Labyrinth is incredible! A lot of people in Avalon City have ‘secret lairs’, but you could probably fit every single one of them inside the Labyrinth and not even use half the space available. It’s not really yours yet – you haven’t surveyed it, have no clue what’s actually inside, and don’t even know how basic facts like how deep it truly goes. But, that hasn't kept your mind from racing with the thousands and thousands of plans you could hatch in this place. You can make a hanger and get The Brass Juggernaut into the city proper! Secret tunnels all throughout the city! Hell, put a pair of absolutely loving giant legs on this sucker and say sayonara, Avalon City! Welcome to High Gear’s Walking Labyrinth, the best town in the world because it’s run by High Gear, the best person!

That’s the good news.

The bad news is that ever since Ebony Mask set you up at your ‘new’ base, you’ve been sending raw material back here for storage. Correction, you thought you were sending stuff back here for storage, the AECU’s thought you were sending material to help them build the Labyrinth. Your plentiful stockpiles never existed at all, and while you can keep the Manufactory running off of scrap, you can’t make anything really impressive before bringing back a big haul or finding a new source for raw material.

Oh, and Ebony Mask himself called and asked if you were feeling crunched now that you were back in your old base. gently caress. Telling him you built a giant basement of more than a thousand floors on accident is gonna make you look like a fool, but telling him you did it on purpose will make it sound you were holding out on him. You could lie, and just not mention the Labyrinth, but… it’s common knowledge that lying to Ebony Mask very, very rarely pays off. How did you reply to him? And,

What do you do?


-

Planning Stage, Start

You know the drill, everyone role-plays the supervillain group plotting the next big crime to attempt and all the back and forth that comes from it, with a selection of planning moves.

-Propose a Caper! - Submit a plan for the consideration (or rejection) of your peers. Anyone can propose a plan, and still be able to vote.
-Second a Caper! - Declare your loud and unconditional support for a Caper. Once you declare this support no one else can second that caper, and you cannot vote for anything else. If it gets picked you gain influence on the Mastermind.
-Vote for a Caper! - Nominate the caper of your choice. You may move your vote at any time if you wish/are coerced by your manipulative teammates.
-Abstain - Vote for nothing. And probably pick your nose.

Normally the mastermind of the previous Caper has the right to be the first to propose a new Caper, but since this is the first real Caper!, and I want to keep up posting energy, this time anyone can propose a Caper!! Also, feel free to propose a group name for your alliance of cads and vagabonds!


-

Additional Mechanics! Alien Rope Burn and Shy Nudist Girl, if you'd like to move either of your Lab assets from someplace in Avalon City to inside the Labyrinth, just mention it in a post and mark it on your character sheet. This won't have any specific mechanical effect, but I just want to offer you the option since there is absolutely space for it.

oh, and of course, If I somehow COMPLETELY hosed UP YOUR BACKSTORY. WHAT ARE YOU DOING, SCRREE, DID YOU EVEN READ MY POSTS? IS THIS YOUR FIRST TIME GMING? Contact me on IRC and we'll discuss possible edits! Otherwise, have at it!

Scrree fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2017 around 00:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - 42nd Floor

Silent and pensive, Ea’lyiz gently flew back and forth throughout the elevator shaft, floating upside down as they did so. It was rare for the alien to go through self-reflection, even for a moment, yet so much had happened as of late that it was deemed necessary. For one matter, there was… Riot. To let her slip away so easily after her betrayal was infuriating. Enraging. Humiliating. Ea was rather grateful that they were the only psychic currently present, because there would be far too much to glean from reading their mind at the moment than was comfortable. Assuming they could read the Hymfazther’s mind, of course, which they couldn’t. But if they could… a pointless thought. One careless mistake did not mean they were now incompetent. It would not happen. It could not!

Ea flipped right-side up, before kicking off from the walls and drifting towards the cup of the dew laying on the shaft’s edge where the alien had left it. At least something good had come out of the decision to remain at High Gear’s Manufactory. The discovery of such a delectable treat that fizzed was of the utmost importance, and secretly the alien made a mental note to visit the closest mountain to collect more of this drink as soon as possible. Ea disliked the bubbling sensation it left in their stomach though, and initially, the alien even believed that the offered drink was poisoned in some fashion. Of course, a quick scan of High Gear’s mind made it clear that the bubbling was just an odd but harmless side effect of the dew. Why the feeling worsened whenever he watched Ea drink the beverage was still uncertain. The alien could have asked, but to admit a lack of knowledge was unacceptable, and besides… something held Ea back, though they weren’t quite sure what.

Sipping lightly at the dew, Ea now thought of the second point that had proven a ‘concern’ as of late: the strange pink rock. Even on the homeworld of Zuda’hym, there were methods to improve one's mental defenses against psionics, though they were often either expensive or completely worthless. Yet for the alien’s psychic abilities to be nullified entirely was unheard of. It, in all sincerity, worried Ea. Just how commonly found was this anti-psionic rock? Was there any way to prevent its effects? Should it be harvested, or destroyed? So many questions, and no answers to be found in the minds of any of their associates. How vexing. At least they were the only one to know of this particular deposit. Yet how long would that last? Likely awhile, if the truth must be made, considering how obscenely expansive the Labyrinth was.

And speaking of the Labyrinth… Ea had taken quite fondly to the floor that was reminiscent of a typical apartment complex. Not because they had any particular fondness for the one in the Lower Gardens, obviously. That place was an inhospitable wreck, accepted only out of convenience. No, the reason that the alien was so attracted to the 42nd floor of the Labyrinth was that each and every room was filled with a completely different ‘console,’ as it was apparently called. Ea was unsure at first what soothing others had to do with these strange machines, but it was made evident after spending several confused minutes turning one on. Such splendid colors and animation! There was nothing like it whatsoever on the homeworld, and Ea could feel their own mind being put at ease as they clumsily interacted with the ‘controller.’ Controller. What a pleasing term. Admittedly, ease eventually converted to frustration as the alien’s virtual representation on the television repeatedly fell down the same pit again and again. “Why do they not simply just fly over it!?” Ea wanted to shout. Almost did, even, though they managed to restrain themself at the last moment. Or last moments would be more accurate, as this type of event reoccurred numerous times during their short time spent in the Labyrinth.

And so the 42nd floor was where Ea returned to now, as nothing of note seemed to be going on as of yet. There were thoughts here and there of the next ‘Caper’ amongst the associates, and the alien did ponder over their own plans as well. Everyone had all but recovered since Riot’s untimely betrayal, and while idling around had been fun in its own way, Ea longed to stretch their hooves and spend some of their pent up energy. Plus, well, the Junkers should probably be informed of this place at some point. Eventually. Maybe? The alien hadn’t decided for sure yet. The Junkers were useful servants, but they could be a nuisance as well. For now, Ea shot out a telepathic message as they sped through the elevator shaft.

[Man of metal, this one has run out of the dew once more. Send your machines with another round to this one’s floor at once. Or if you finally understand your place, bend the knee, and bring it to this one in person, this one shall allow you to partake in the further playing of Caliburn X-2.]

Ea could have gotten more on their own, obviously. But why do that when there were so many others around to do so for them? There was no reason the message was directed at High Gear in particular, of course. Simply, as the host of this Labyrinth, it was his role and duty to satisfy the needs of his guests. That was all. Really.

OOC: Leaving the anti-psionic rocks alone for now. Just doing some scene setting with this post, nothing major.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2017 around 06:43

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Pacing about

High Gear stood on a ledge, overseeing a vault. A vault, that was both entirely needlessly huge, and completely filled with platonic solids of various sizes, from those akin to grains of sand to the couple that were about the size of a pick-up truck. All smooth and carved from a softly glinting, uniform brass. Really, it was almost artistic, in a way. And really, that his creations had made more and probably better art than most artists in this entire city could manage, and all totally by accident, spoke a lot about the intrinsic worth of the soft disciplines in relation to arcaneering. Heh.

But be the spectacle as intriguing as it may, the fact still remained that it was a huge waste of building material. Now certainly, these solids could be fairly easily refashioned, but most of his resources had been dispersed so thoroughly across the labyrinth in tiny details and embellishments or integral structural supports that could not be removed, that extracting the already spent resources was largely not an option. He'd have to wait for his current sources, or better yet, make new sources to expedite his plans. Hm. With a dismissive wave of his hand, drones started hauling off the solids to the forges. He'd deal with those details later.

__________________________________

High Gear paced about in his personal, fortified office in the upper manufactory floors, on occasion tapping the many fingers of his suit against convenient pieces of furniture as a stress response. Ebony Mask's prying was an issue, even if an expected one. But how to proceed? It was not something he could ignore. Lying would be figured out soon enough, and he'd rather not annoy the man, since having to move again would have been extremely inconvenient. Then this naturally only left the choice of coming clean. But how? Obviously he could not admit failure, or sloppiness, such was anathema to somebody as self-absorbed as he. No, he'd have to find some way to take the edge off. Claiming it was on purpose, of course, held the risk of Ebony Mask becoming suspicious. But perhaps that could be mitigated? Well, of course it could be mitigated. He was High Gear, ultra-genius and master mitigator.

quote:

To the most esteemed Ebony Mask

I am happy to be able to inform you that no such issue has befallen me, for obviously I took precaution for the possibility of losing access to my base location. Indeed, my AECUs have such excavation algorithms as standard automatic response when left to their own devices in a base-appropriate area. A common sense precaution, and no sense in letting them stand idle.

Furthermore

A knocking on the door woke High Gear from his concentrated effort at damage control, to which he replied with the most indignant "WHAT!?" he could muster.

"Heyyy that you High G? Nice digs brah"

Oh. The Seven Signet Society.

"Chad", answered the villain, his voice a mix of tired and angry, "How'd you find here anyway?" This was a good questions. The morons were by no means smart enough to track him or break his security pro-

"Dude you took your whole thing for a walk through the tunnels man we just followed you."

...That was a possibility, High Gear supposed. But that means that any street bum could've follo-

"Yeah and since you're always all hidden like we even summoned some spooooky ghosts to spook any homeless people or gutter rats that tried to follow."

"They were real spooky."

"Hell yeah."

"So anyways we were thinking if we could stay? These are way better trappings than what we had before and like I doubt you'll need all this space."

"Ye and there's the right sort of like thaumic ambience here you know what I mean?"

...

"I suppose", High Gear basically snarled, "Just don't get in the way." High Gear had little patience for the ritualists and their inferior idiot magics, but they made good minions on occasion. Speaking of which...

quote:

Furthermore, the relocation effort has been a rousing success, and thanks to my foresight I'm capable of starting full operations far sooner than I otherwise could've.

Your most fastidious and superiorly competent ally, High Gear.

Aaaand send.

By making the whole effort seem like such an obvious countermeasure that it didn't even brook earlier mention, he could soften any doubts pertaining to intentionally hiding his projects. It's not like he informed Ebony Mask on every little thing he did, might as well pretend this was one of those. And taken his self-assured reputation, the claim even seemed somewhat believable, coming from him. Another crisis averted by his genius.

So, next on the laundry list was optimizing th-

High Gear tapped the side of his helmet in annoyance at a burst of static. Wait it wasn't static. It was the infuriating NEET alien again. Begging for freebies and attention like always. Pfeh.

...

On the other hand, Caliburn X-2 was one of the better games released within the year. But he could never really enjoy it since AI and online opposition just wasn't up to the task against his brilliant tactical mind. So in order to truly enjoy it his opponent needed to have some advantage, such as being able to glean glimpses of his strategies while he played...

High Gear grabbed a bottle of his chosen beverage from the fridge and made his way down. He didn't like appearing servile though. Hmph. He'd just slap the alien over the head once and call it even. He was only doing this since she was the only valid opposition in the building after all.


OOC: Some scene setting, answering the Ebony Mask prompt.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2017 around 13:50

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None [b]| Location: The Labyrinth


Well, she was going to die with excellent calves, at least. Thankfully, her lab had already been fitted into cases to carry. She was used to moving from one shady hovel to another. This new place... she could have everything she ever needed. If she could find it. But you start with the basics, like water. She'd left small sigils to at least keep track of her surroundings, like a trail of breadcrumbs.

Thankfully, the robots at least had enough sense to route water according to some procedure or another, and that's what had this waterfall and underground canal flowing through a space about fifty stories down stories down. Hanging over it as if buried by some earthquake is a part of a mansion... off at the faintest of angles, the front windows and what would be a door looking out into the steam. The kind of place that she thought becoming a knight might get her into, one day. Well... looks like she still got it. The fact it was literally crooked didn't escape her. But she may as well get used to it.

Some of the stairways blended into the floors above, dreamlike and insensible. Liberal use of alchemical light at least kept things clear, and the sound of water helped with the fact that the sounds of the city had faded to silence down here. Best to let the others have a look around their newfound dungeon for a bit, settle in and explore. But soon they'd need supplies. Water was a start, but not the end. Food, of course, was towards the top of the list. But High Gear and Ursula's endeavors don't run on nothing, and she needed to be able to keep stocked on elemental bases and ammunition.

In the dark only broken by a lightwand, she's left with her thoughts for longer than she finds helpful. She could vanish into a place like this, nobody would ever find her again. But the others... the others had futures. Maybe that was why she was here, to drag them out of this pit and make sure they had a future before she punched out. To help guide them towards a real life.

Yeah, right. And kids'll like cabbages.

-------

Black Squire stops by the counter to the unconscious clerk, holding two paper bags loaded with groceries. Putting one down, she pulls out her shopping list, which reads "You have been robbed of-", followed by a her list, and then ends with, "Thank you." She wanted to put her name on it, but she didn't need authorities making the connection between the robbery and the group. Yet. They probably would anyway, but no use saving them the valuable investigating time. She stepped out the window - cheap franchise sprung for door wards to alert the authorities, but not on the windows themselves. Besides, she'd planted a ward-popper on a door ward several miles away. Local guard would be off looking that up, and by the time they even started getting their automated carriages this way, she'd be beyond gone.

-------

Most of what Percy took was singles food, stuff with self-heating alchemical trays or in tinned cans. Hi-cal vitadrink concentrate. However, she did get some practicalities, like cooling sacks, eggs, flour, milk, and other ingredients for her to actually cook with. After all, alchemy and cooking were only really different in application. Note to self: have High Gear lower himself to making a waffler. It takes her a bit to try and track down the gamer duo, but sound tends to carry in these spaces without the noise pollution up above. Mid-game, she leans against the doorjam, watching the game momentarily before speaking up. "Hey, Gear, EZ, need a favor from one of you. I just need a body to let everyone know I'll be cooking up dinner tonight in an hour. If everybody's done dungeoneering, it's time to huddle."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2017 around 22:25

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Trouble +0 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - Giant Park

I needed this. No, I deserve this after the absolute shitshow that was the last few days.

When Christie asked me I wanted to be on a "Super Awesome Badboy/girl Team," this was sure as hell not what I was expecting. I thought she'd put me in with a group of badasses, not a bunch of loving nerds who are all way too busy having a loving smug-off contest with each other. And to top it all off, she set me up with a team that included MY loving EX! The gently caress Christie!? Sure, put me in the same group with the second biggest rear end in a top hat in the world, great loving idea! I could be having, I dunno, cool space adventures or some poo poo instead, with a cool group, but instead I'm stuck with a bunch of assholes who love jacking off to the sound of their own voice! gently caress!

Bull's Rage posted:



Introducing The Bull's Rage! The meter will slowly fill up the angrier Wild Bull gets. What happens when she reaches MAXIMUM RAGE!? Let's hope we never have to find out!

...At least Black Squire's cool and really pretty.

Whatever. I guess it's not all that bad. Any day I get to deck a hero (Was LANCELOT a hero? Or was he another villain? Ehhh, doesn't matter) in the face is a good day. I had a lot of pent-up aggression I needed to work out, and he happened to show up in the right time. Nerd Gear's freak-out over the whole thing made it extra worth it. I usually just tune the guy out, but watching him throw a hissy-fit when I threw ol' Lancy down the sewers was hilarious.

I've even managed to find my own little slice a' heaven. I got noooooooo idea how any of this works, and I'm not going to pretend like I do, but I'm not going to complain. This place is like one of those giant, fancy parks they got in Avalon, except better. There's no people. No assholes to get pissed off at, no jerk heroes trying to take Gertie away from me (Seriously, why the hell are people so scared of her?). It's just me, and my pets. Heck, I'm sure I could fill this place all sorts of animals! Maybe a few more dogs, some bunnies, a platypus or two, it'll be great! This whole place is practically perfect!

...Or it would be, if it wasn't FOR THE loving cute GOPHERS!

"GERTIE!" I yell at her as she's trying to chomp down on the little rodents, "STOP THAT!" I yank on her leash to get her attention. That stopped her, for now. Gertie, who has little Pompom riding on her (Those two are like, the best of friends. I don't think I've ever seen them apart), walks up beside me, and I give her a stern look. "What have I said about eating the gophers?" I waggle my finger at her, "We're not hurting them! We're going to find a way that doesn't involve biting their adorable little heads off, you got that?"

Agh! She's giving me that look! The sad, little raptor look she gives me whenever I scold her. No, Bull, stay strong, don't fall for it, don't- Oh, no, Pompom's giving me that look, too! I may be a total badass who's taken down a bunch of heroes singlehandly, but even I'm not able to resist the power of the double raptor/doggo adorable combo.

I sigh, "Oh, I can't stay mad at you two. C'mere!" I pull them both in for a hug, and gently pet their heads. I let out a happy little gigle as they both lick my face (Boy, am I glad nobody else is around to see this), "You're just hungry, aren't you, girl?" Gertie nods, "Hah, I thought so," my stomach starts growling too, "I think I might be a little hungry, too. Come on, we can worry about the whole gopher thing later, let's go bug Nerd Gear for some grub."

--

Tracking down High Gear was easy. Pompom's pretty much got his nasty, greasy, cheeto-flavored smell down, and tracking him was no problem. Just gotta take a right here, and- Wait, is that Percy standing near the door!? "O-oh! H-hi Percy!" Play it cool, Bull, play it cool, "F-Fancy seeing you here!" Okay, okay, there's no need to be nervous. You're just standing in front of someone who just happens to be incredibly attractive and is a lot of fun to be around. "S-so..." I pause for one, brief, painful, awkward moment, before I point to the room she was looking in, "I-is High Gear inside?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2017 around 20:10

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


That boy is an idiot savant.

We all don't use the world's magnetism to float around. My droids were not designed to carry me around a cylopean mad house. I too upset with him to return his ill programmed trash heap to him. But too flustered over all of this to concentrate on backwards engineering. I have it hidden on my floor to decide at a later date. And by that I mean when I feel I can get away with ripping the thing apart if only to give it a chassis more suited to my purposes. I doubt he will spend much time on the floor I have decided to stay on. I wonder if Gear has a younger sister. And he has a vague impression of the type of things she likes. The entire floor is pastels, largely pink. Colorful scenes with smiling faces painted on every wall. There are cubic meters of stuffed animals per room. There is a bed with a mattress half as tall as myself. It is all very soft and comfortable, which I find to my liking.

Comfortable is as far from what I am at the moment. My lead droid is (princess) carrying me around as trying to lift me on my chair up stairs would likely result in a concussion. My search for him would be less tedious if he left the gps signal in the communication droid provided on. I chance upon the lottery winner and Percy. I am already in a foul mood so my attention fixates on what is said not how it is said. "I would hope he is. I have words for that jack rear end and I tire of searching for him. The boy has reached astronomical heights in wastefulness."

If this is not resolved soon I will be of less use during any defense of the base. Simmons is no doubt already moving against me. I need no fear for my life. But I know well there are fates worse than death. To cage me and deny me the ability to work my craft would be agonizing. Though a well rehearsed speech to turn me away from my unfettered path of scientific progress might be more painful.

7. Assuming I'm not even allowed to be a lameo and lose infamy I don't have, she attempts to exploit the malleable nature of a fresh alliance. Someone gains influence on me
Moving most of the lab to the new base, but left enough to make a quick safe house in a bind

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.




Endless corridors, staircases, ledges, doors, rooms, It was a marvel to behold. Truly the only good thing to have come out of High Gears existence. A gently caress up of such spectacular degree that it had twisted back around upon itself into a success. Tock sniffed irritably. All of this was such a wa...

the door opened up into a forest. Well no, that wasn't quite right. It was a building made of living wood and plants. Multiple buildings. The roof was high enough to fit in at least seven or so floors. A small river ran through the centre of it all. Was that a deer?

Tock froze time, walking up to the animal as it peacefully grazed. There was about eight more of them around the corner. Dear oh dear. High Gear would hate to know this place existed. Probably best not to tell him. Tock made note of it's location, he'd set up his quarters here. It was close enough to home to let him relax. His little sanctuary away from all that ugly metal.

Talking of Ugly things...

Tock thought back to his little meeting. So, BlackStaff wanted to ignore him then? Ha, did he really think that Tock was going to fall for that lie? It was so obvious. BlackStaff, didn't let things go. He couldn't. No, this was clearly to lure him into a false sense of security. To make him easier to trap later on. He'd play along for now. But Tock was no fool. BlackStaff was never going to let this go. Not until one of them was dead and buried. He delivered it through Mallory as well. The bastard. That was practically waving her enslavement in his face. He'd free her. One day, he'd free her. For now though he had an odd assortment of cooks and cuties to deal with.

It didn't take him long to track down Iv- Wild Bull. She was mid giggle, he'd seen her face frozen enough times to recognise it. It was pretty obvious why, her pets showering her with their little kisses (well, less little with the Raptor). He'd never admit it, not to anyone. But he missed that face. Should he step into real time again? Make himself known? No, no that wouldn't be productive. She was still angry about the break up. He could tell from the look she gave him.

Instead he departed. Flickering in and out of time. It was quiet here. Really quiet. He'd missed that. Eventually, he happened across the Idiot and the alien playing computer games. Tock sequestered himself into the roof girders, and sat back to watch. He'd make his presence known. But for now he was content to let them squabble amongst themselves. He flitters back and forth. Dark Squire shows up shortly. Then Bull. He can't help but feel a pang of envy at how nervous she got around the dying girl. Remembering how cute she was when it was him who made her stammer like that. He leans down through the doorway from above.

"Oh yes, Cheeto boy is in here. In case that wasn't undeniably obvious from the stench. Ahh, and good evening Ms Percy. I hope your quarters are to your liking?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Playing Vidya

"Yes", a voice can be heard from the room, clearly irritated at having been bothered "I am. What do you want?" A slight clacking of controllers can be faintly heard emanating from the room. "Something to clean up after those filthy critters of yours?"

High Gear grabbed some loose clockwork (these were the moments High Gear was glad his suit had four arms), and quickly fashioned a little propeller equipped drone with two graspers, and threw it out of the room over his shoulder, hearing the dual thuds of thing thing first ricocheting off the door and then softly impacting Wild Bull in the chest before taking flight.

"There. Now was there anything else?"

Of course, at this point High Gear was not even really listening. It was excessively unlikely that the girl had anything worthwhile to say after all. He'd much rather focus on what he was already doing. That is, owning Ea to yesteryear in vidya games. Yet another Flawless Victory. Hm. He had expected a bit better from someone with insider access to all his plans. Unless, of course, the girl had no actual idea how to play in the first place.

"That was a pretty pathetic showing", he stated flatly, "From someone always going on about their superiority. Or from an unemployed NEET that has nothing better to do than play video games all day. Doubly so from someone who's both."

He leaned in a bit, light glinting off his featureless metal mask.

"So what's the deal here? You called me to administer you some punishment for the hell of it?"


quote:

Theantero: thefiremagi and me should make unmodified rolls to determine who wins ad vidya
Theantero: this is a plot point of the utmost importance
TheFireMagi: sounds good to me
Theantero: High Gear is the superior gamer!
Theantero: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9 = 9
TheFireMagi: Ea'lyiz is kind of just pushing buttons while reading High Gear's mind!
TheFireMagi: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: TheFireMagi, 7 = 7

quote:

Theantero: HG pierces Ea's Mask!
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 10+1 = 11

Okay. My questions are the following:

How could I gain Influence over you?
What do you care about most right now?
What weakness are you hiding?

Theantero fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2017 around 21:09

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - 42nd Floor

Ea resisted the urge to grit down on their teeth, refusing to show even the slightest sign that they were perturbed by this defeat in any form. Inwardly, the alien was screaming things like “What the heck is a wake-up!?” and “What does ‘quarter-circle forward’ even mean!?” Turns out that learning your opponent’s strategy through telepathy doesn’t help at all if you don’t understand the first thing of what they’re even talking about. How vexing. And to lose in one-on-one combat to High Gear of all people made it especially so.

Outwardly, Ea rolled around their primary eyes (how I will be referring to face eyes) before they closed them and set the controller down as the apartment filled with the noise of conversation and thoughts. Turning just slightly away from High Gear (how dare he lean in so close!), the alien telepathically replied,

[Punishment? Hardly. This one merely decided to reward you for understanding your place and coming in person,” Ea decided to ignore the part where the infuriating man of metal bopped them over the head with the cup, [You simply seemed so sincere and focused on your desire for victory in such a childish game that this one felt obligated to humor you. This one, of course, has many more meaningful issues to be worried about, such as…]

For the briefest of seconds, Ea’s secondary eyes (how I will be referring to all the non-face eyes) glanced down at the floor. No, from their intensity, it was as if they were looking through the ground to something lower. Then the second passed, and they returned to staring awkwardly past High Gear.

[...what is to be done about the Betrayer, Riot, as well as what the next course of action should be. And thinking of,] Ea quickly turned their attention to the fact that everyone had gathered here at their apartment for some reason and said, [Greetings, this one’s associates. The candled one has proclaimed that they shall be preparing the evening meal in a twelfth small-hand movement of the clock. It appears the time has come to make the return to the surface. Oh, and the clockwork spirit shall refrain from further peering into this one’s abode, lest he wishes his mind invaded in the future.]

quote:

How could I gain Influence over you?
Praise the sunalien! ...That’s it. Praise Ea about literally anything that might soothe their repeatedly damaged as of late ego, small or large, and they’ll be right as rain.

quote:

What do you care about most right now?
Proving to High Gear (and those other nerds I guess, whatever) that Ea isn’t just all hot air. Gotta show this stupid smug jerk that I’m actually super awesome, guys!!!

quote:

What weakness are you hiding?
The anti-psionic pink rocks, of course, which would be what Ea’s secondary eyes were looking at. Considering it’s his Labyrinth, should be pretty simple for High Gear to eventually figure that out with some scouting bots, if he so chooses.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2017 around 04:18

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Labyrinth - 42nd Floor


"Thanks, EZ.", she says, shoving her hands in her coat pockets. "Though it looks like your game's made enough noise to get everybody."

"It's a fixer-upper.", Percy replies to Tock as she rolls her eyes up to look at him. "You found a spot of your own?", she asks rhetorically. "We need to exchange addresses. Easy to get lost in here."

Looking over to Bull, she adds with her grin, "And... fancy, huh? Well, we don't have radios just yet and I needed one of the two people here that can chat far and near. There's a floor that looks kind of like a cafe, hoping all the appliances can wake up and sing. If not, I'll have to use an alchemy stove. 'Sup with you?"

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2017 around 18:17

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.




Tock nodded. "I dare say I have. I'll have to invite you both down at some point. It's... quite something."

As much as he'd like to needle Bull more, he had to admit she'd probably like it. Animals aplenty. Birds, deer, all manner of fluffly little ground critters. The space was quite grand as well, he'd not measured the whole of it. But it had taken him roughly 30 minutes to reach the far wall.

He turned around and fixed Ea with a casual grin. "Goodness, I was wondering if you'd even noticed I was here. If it's any comfort I did knock before entering. Although, I suppose it would help if Time wasn't frozen at that exact moment."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


Feh. They barely acknowledge with a glance let alone more. Whatever.

"Pardon." N-Prime pushes past the others to carry me into the room. "High Gear you short sighted-" I cut off simpleton. I need him receptive to my complain. Well perhaps not need. "This monstrosity is nearly impossible to get around. Even if you claim that is by design to confuse intruders we are no better off so you better have a plan to fix that!" The dignity of my fuming is undercut by N-Prime carrying me and looking for a suitable seat.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - House of Smarm

There's a moment of surprisingly tense silence as High Gear regarded the alien, before pulling back.

"Yes, clearly engaging in a game we were both playing makes me alone the childish one", High Gear answered in a mocking sort of tone, and topped it off with a nasal sort of laugh "Hey here's a tip. Might want to practice on your logic too as well as your gameplay."

And then Ursula barged in. At this point High Gear closed the console since it was clear he wouldn't get much gaming done anymore. He stared in silence as the girl fumed, standing up in the process.

"Yeah", he replied sardonically, "It's hard to get around sure if you for some idiotic reason decide to set up shop on floor minus one hundred. A weird choice for someone so movement impaired. There are perfectly usable living spaces with utilities near the top too you know?" High Gear tapped the side of his helmet with one hand as a condescending sign of exasperation, as if explaining simple concepts to a child.

"Now, if you need some sort of flying wheelchair or what have you to ferry you around, that would be fairly trivial to accomplish", he leaned in a bit and spoke in a tone smothered in smarm, "You'll just have to ask nicely."

He laughed, again, before continuing.

"But anyway, since we're all conveniently here now, we might as well get going to the kitchen, or whichever kitchen out of the approximately one million that the Black Squire has chosen for us. Should get some actual work done too, yes?"

Theantero fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2017 around 00:04

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Trouble +0 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - Nerd Zone


Wow, this place got really crowded really quickly, and oh great, he has to be here, too. "Yea, how about screw you, and no." Tock could have the sweetest place in the whole base, and I still wouldn't want to be around his stupid pretty-boy face any longer than I have to.

Annnd then Percy gives me that smile of hers, and I feel my anger slowly drain away from me, "Ummm," I turn my head away from her, to hide how red my cheeks are getting, "N-not much. Oh! I f-found this really neat place! It's like a giant park! Y-you s-should come see it! If-if you want to, I mean."

I feel something bump onto my chest. I look at the machine... thingie High Gear made, and grab it. I crush it into a little metal ball, and toss it right back at his smug head, "I was going to ask where you kept the food around here, but you just answered my question. Let's get going, I'm starving." Knowing this group, we're probably going to go through some dick-measuring contest before we actually talk about "work," but whatever, I'm hungry enough to deal with that BS for now, and I get to try Percy's cooking, too!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

High Gear stood in silence as the now scrapped piece of junk deflected from the side of his helmet. A second or so passes. Then he scoffed. "Watch it, girl. More brainpower was used to create that toy than you've expended in your entire life. So show some respect."

Without further word, he made his way through the crowd, and lead the way to the kitchens with an imperious stride.

~~~~Later~~~~

The dining hall was a fairly swanky affair, carved in the likeness of an elaborate and over-decorated baroque mansion. Could be worse, High Gear thought. A waste of resources sure, but better looking than his last dining aperture (that is, all the fast foods and fridge meals he scarfed down at his desk when working on his designs). And the food was better looking too, he was loathe to admit. It had been a fairly long time since he actually ate proper food. He removed his mask as he inspected his meal. He's surprisingly non-ugly. And also apparently wears glasses under the mask, for whatever reason?



"So", he poked his food with his fork before taking a bite, his sneer now actually visible instead of only implied by his tone, "Do any of you have any actual plans? Now I realize that's largely just a rhetorical question for politeness' sake, but I'm asking it anyway", and before giving anyone a chance to answer or even pausing to really draw breath, he continued "No? How completely and utterly expected. Worry not though, I've come up with a plot whilst the rest of you were doing whatever it is you people do."

With an idle hand, High Gear summoned a little floating drone that projected a map of the city and surrounding area on the middle of the table. "This is a map of Avalon and the surrounding countryside, as you can plainly see", he explained, keeping his tone dry at least instead of openly mocking, "With a focus on the rail network. Why you ask? Well, it is because the city is waiting for something that I've been keeping an active eye on. See, as I'm sure you all know, Vladivostok was annihilated during the war by a destabilized mana core, yes? As a result, a lot of slag was infused with magical energies, forming considerable Unobtainium deposits. And since the radiation levels have gotten low enough that extraction is actually profitable, Unobtainium industry has recently started there. And in fact, Avalon is due to getting its first transfer via the transcontinental railway in about a week or so."

High Gear adjusted his glasses a bit, "Now of course, such a valuable piece of cargo is guarded of course. But since nothing on the ground moves quite as fast as the High Priority Armored Train, the only thing it has is air support",


The HPAT

"Which is bothersome. Now, my Brass Juggernaut can probably fight them off if it comes to it, but that's just Plan B. Plan A is to sabotage the local squadron booked to swap guard duties with the Russian short range interceptors, thus leaving the train without any security sans its own weaponry and internal guards for the last bit of its voyage. Then, I'll intercept it with the Brass Juggernaut, and our strike team drops onto the train proper. Once there, their task will be to slow it down somewhat so that the Brass Juggernaut can synchronize with it properly, after which we will remove the cars containing the Unobtainium, hook them up to the Brass Juggernaut, and make away with them."

High Gear slammed his hand on the table.

"Boom. Instant riches and rare resources of great utility at our disposal. Brought to you by the unbeatable genius of yours truly."

High Gear crossed his arms, and leaned back on his chair, a smug grin spreading across his face.


OOC: So, in order to move things forward (feel free to respond to stuff in the former room scene if you want to, of course, time is malleable here~), I Propose a Caper: Perform Train Robbery on the Transcontinental train carrying Unobtainium with my sweet as hell Airship

C'mon our issue cover even has a train in it

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


"Are you really so dense as to-" He is barely listening. As much as he thinks. All that activity in that cranium and so little of it is signal. I will incorporate my complain in the planning so that it may be fairly heard by all others.

N-Prime cuts my food for me while the wind bag does his thing. "Are you done yet? Because of course I have a plan. We must address what the base is lacking, and exploit what it has. Floors one to one hundred should be exclusively death traps. Possibly deeper. We will need a way to facilitate quick travel for ourselves within the fortress so that we may properly harry intruders. A separate entrance could be used against us and brainless traps are unreliable so we apply some intelligence to our security. Experimental intelligences was a department at the institute I had some contact with. They were not interested in organic controlling cores for complex systems. Feh. Their loss. Regardless at least one project was being developed outside of the Institute proper, which I do not have the gall in thinking we could successfully attack. William von Friedrik is developing an AI for the King's Court." Technically outside of the city, the amusement park has progressed into it's own district given its size. It is themed after Arthurian legend, which is novel in this day and age if not nostalgic. It is beloved of those at the Institute that still bear their noble titles, most of the rides were converted from more theoretical designs of theirs. The dizzying amount of machines in the park "should" be impossible to unify under one system. Impossible is just a word. "Security should be quite manageable. And after some finishing touches and tweaks the AI could add some needed method to the madness of this abyss."

I lean back in my chair and smile. I challenge the others to propose a better target. Not vague riches but something practical that will empower our future endeavors. The perfect way to get started.

Proposing different Caper. Steal experimental AI from massive amusement park

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

High Gear chewed his food silently, staring at his plate in thought as Ursula spoke. When she was done, he pointed his fork at her, still staring at his plate.

"You know", his tone was almost conversational, strangely enough, "I actually sort of like that. Not a bad idea at all", he lifted his gaze, and peered directly at the girl, "However, it's not like the AI is in any hurry to be moved, yes? Unobtainium is a rare resource, something that we could use for a lot of constructions and assets. And more importantly than that, it's going to take ages until the next shipment is bound to arrive, taken that Vladivostok supplies a lot of areas and the material is burdensome to extract. No such clear time pressure exists for your plan, does it?"

"We could very well do it later, however."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


"The AI is in the final phases. Bug testing? It was supposed to be released last week." Ursula rolled her eyes. "You know how these things are. I believe it would be easier to extract it before it takes proper roots into the park mainframe. It won't be impossible between the both of us of course. Does the muscle have an opinion? As I believe on site threats and time spent in danger are the primary differences." I look over to Bull but my gaze quickly slides over to Percy. Sat next to her of course. Feh. She should tone it down a bit. Is she going to have a cardiac arrest when they hold hands? I wish.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Labyrinth - 23rd Floor


Percy sets down a sizzling skillet on the center of the table as if to punctuate her entrance. "Don't start business on an empty belly.", she says simply, jamming a serving spoon into the stir-fry, smelling of hoisin and garlic, and then sets down a stack of hot flour torillas and some sort of bright red sauce. Finally, she puts a number of cold cans on the table. Beverages. "The hot stuff.", she explains simply as she pokes at the sauce, and then sits down, folding her hands as if saying grace. "We give thanks to Black Squire, for committing petty theft before we grow so hungry as to envision one another as cartoon hot dogs, to the clerk she struck with a firearm, as he slept peacefully and gave generously of his stock freely and without objection, and lastly to the city guard, chasing their own tails to our mutual benefit." She loosens up and just shrugs as she lets others poke at the food first. She looks sidelong to Bull with a grin, before looking up to Ursula, making eye contact with a curious look.

"We probably want to share what we've found, first.", she says, trying to take the reins of the discussion. "I found fresh water down on the 51st, and a small mansion... looks the bots they rerouted a local underground river. Could be useful if we don't want utilities wondering where their water goes." Or if they need to wash anything down the drain, but she doesn't need to point that out. "Bats are nesting on the 3rd floor, not sure where they're coming from. 31st has parts of a hospital layout, I think. 45th has... well, Gear should take a look at that." No use spoiling the surprise, which for the record, is a 20' tall statue of High Gear - or, rather, his armor - in a promenade. It's also just not a subject for mixed company in the presence of his ego.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2017 around 02:02

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.




He wanted to go after the train. THAT train. Oh of course he did!

"Tell me, High Gear. Given you've been researching that train, have you studied what the interior defences of the train are?" It was hypothetical of course. Tock continued without giving High Gear a chance to reply. "The exterior defences are for show mostly. It's the interior golum defences that are of real concern. They're marked to activate when the train is stopped. Nasty things, very resilient, highly hostile. Not much in the way of conversation."

Tock took a bite out of the wrap he'd made. "Yet not insurmountable." He chewed for a few moments. "These are quite nice. Thank you Percy."

"As to Ursula's suggestion of attacking the theme park for it's AI, it's a worthwhile suggestion. However, unlike the train, which likely won't be reported to preserve the bottom line and their stock. If we make an open attack, we'll draw a lot of attention to ourselves. Endangering civilians tends to do that. Ether way, we'll be getting attention. It's just a question of if we want it to be public, meaning heroes. Or private. Meaning contractors."

"Speaking of contractors, it seems your builders got a little lazy from about floor 115 downwards. The rooms are strange, inconsistent sizes and shapes. Multiple instances of live animals. Materials mixed together chaotically, as though they got confused what walls were made out of. It get's worse the further down you go. I fully expect there are some floors which are entirely devoid of rooms and are just big cavernous spaces."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

Head momentarily cocked in confusion, Ea put both sleeves together in imitation as Black Squire folded her hands. Was this some human custom that the alien was unaware of? Yet High Gear never seemed to do such a thing, as far as Ea could remember. Picking up one of the plain tortillas, their many eyes focused on it intensely, the alien quietly chewed away while listening half-heartedly to all the nonsensical debate going on around. Something about training and testing for bugs. A dull conversation, to be certain, but there was one detail that stuck out.

[The shackled inventor shall remind themselves that this one has claimed the 42nd floor. If you wish to turn it into a death trap, then there will be conflict.]

One of the greatest utilities of their psionic abilities, Ea found: being able to reprimand others and put them in their place while enjoying the consumption of food. Well, ‘enjoying.’ There really wasn’t much taste to whatever it was that they were eating, if truth must be made. Moving on now to the canned beverages, the alien lightly jabbed a finger through the top portion of the can and made an opening as they said,

[Yes, this one shall compliment the candled one for their service. Well done.]

Sipping away with a look of mild satisfaction, the alien seemed content for the time being to continue idly eating and drinking.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

High Gear frowned just the slightest bit as he stuffed his face, one of the free arms of his suit snapping its fingers angrily next to Ea's head, where its ears supposedly were, and showed the thing how burritos worked. High Gear himself did not address that particular happening in any way though, as if it were almost an afterthought to him. Instead, the man addressed Tock.

"Well that suits us just fine, doesn't it?" his other free hand made a dismissive, waving sort of motion, "115 floors of domestic space should be more than enough. Besides, I have many projects in mind that could use extensive hangar spaces so really I fail to see how this is an issue at all."

"And really, I'm perfectly aware of the inner security details of the HPAT. I know my trains. That's why I'm bringing a strike team, and all of you along. And even then, we'll just have to hold them at bay long enough for us to disconnect the unobtainium transporting cars from the train proper. A quick, clean, well-planned operation."

High Gear's gaze lazily drifted over everyone gathered around the table. He sneered.

"And yeah, this outfit could really use some unobtainium gear. Just saying."

"..."

High Gear tapped the table a bit with a metallic finger.

"None of that will materialize though if you people fail to make your minds known. So speak up instead of waffling", High Gear stated, a hint of impatient irritation creeping into his voice.

Really, these sorts of situations were why Anton hated democracy. It forced him to care about what idiots thought.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


I shiver a bit when I hear Ea'lyiz's voice in my head. It is such a unique sensation. I struggle to describe it. I make eye contact and think to myself, to her: Are you sure it is the floor most to your liking of all 2000? I of course defer to your choice of living space. But I would recommend some security measures installed. I just hate to see 1900 floors go to waste, after all our supplies were squandered to make them.

I'm going to take the high road and not comment on High Gear's love of trains. That seems more of Bull's wheel house. "Really, hangar space? Percy had commit petty larceny just so we could eat today. If the pit into which our resources were thrown in is merely used as a garage for your vanity projects disappointed will not even begin to describe me."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

There is a noticeable twitch in High Gear's right eye as he listens.

"A waste of 'our' resources you say? An intriguing use of a plural pronoun. Taken that these resources, that you describe as our resources, were mined and extracted by MY AECUs, from MY resource gathering stations, and brought here by MY drones", he slammed a hand onto the table and leaned in slightly, raising an eyebrow in a manner that could perhaps be described as 'rather overaggressive', "And used to excavate, need I remind you, MY base."

There is a moment of silence as High Gear leers angrily at Ursula. Until he finally spat a final, spiteful response.

"And really, I need no preaching about 'vanity projects' from someone who can't even manage a project to keep themselves upright, much less walk about. Shows what you know."

He just couldn't help himself.

Another moment of silence. High Gear leaned back.

"And really", his tone was back to almost conversational, as if the former outburst hadn't even occurred, "The good thing about unobtainium is that it's very rare, and very sought after. We can just sell a portion in the black market to afford the necessities we need. It's a simple optimization problem about projected gains of selling it and investing it into our own equipment and assets."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Labyrinth - 23rd Floor - Cafe


BLAM.

Thankfully, nobody is shot, but some bits of plaster and stone fall down onto the table as Percy brandishes a smoking gun in the general direction of the ceiling. After a moment, a sizzling, bright-red slug falls from the ceiling, burning as it makes a hole in the table, sizzling right through to the floor where it continues to smoke for awhile. Waving the pistol upward, she leans forward on the table as her hazel eyes focus on Gear. "First. Nobody rushes me. I take the time I need to take because it's mine." She pauses, lowering her brow slightly as she stares at him. "Second. I let you slide on a lot because you're basically a very smart baby and I can't blame a baby for crying, but you do not get to ruin the meal I made while we're sitting at my table. Yeah. My table." She holds up her palm out with the gun hanging it by a finger as if demonstrating the means. "If you want to take things aside with someone and go at it like werevolerines as soon as you're out of my eyesight, I won't stop you, but there is a line at this table and I get to draw it and you just crossed it."

"If you're done spitting up all over the table and the rest of us, listen up. This is how it's going to be." She puts the gun down on the table with a thump. "It's not a bad idea you have, though. It's mine now, though. This goes through, I plan, I lead, you provide the tools." She smiles confidently as the finally looks away from Gear, turning to Ursula and resting her chin on a palm before speaking again. "Stealing an AI... well. I already have one very smart baby to deal with at this table. Convince me that I need to add another under this roof."

Looks like somebody's making a grab.

Okay, trying to cow High Gear with an 11 (2d6+2). High Gear can take one of the benefits if he responds, and we add a Plan to the pool.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2017 around 03:04

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


"Does it not occur to you that I choose not to hook myself up to some marionette exoskeleton? Not everyone is so sensitive about their appearance." I add with a smirk. "If you want a taste of what I can manage, Octavia would love a taste of you."

N-Prime nearly tackles me to the ground when the gun goes off. It stays between me and Percy (and my food :/) while the gun is still out. "Percy the idea is that the AI would be more like the base mother." I try to poke my head around N-Prime to make a semblance of eye contact. "Though I suppose we could leave the base under the stewardship of High Gear and his enthusiastic droids..."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Trouble +0 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner Time


Yep. This was what I expected. Lots of talking and arguing, and lots of nothing being done. I could say something, but I'm too busy scarfing down the food in front of me. God drat has it been a while since I've had a meal this good. Gertie's really enjoying her meal as well, judging by how fast she's devouring it all.

I almost jump out of my seat when Percy's gun goes off. That's, uh, one way to get everybody's attention. I guess I should probably say something now, "I don't care what we do, as long as I get to smash poo poo," I bite down on a drumstick, and continue talking while chewing on the meat, "Which plan has me smashing the most poo poo? I'll go with that one."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.


Tock

Tock watched in glorious slow motion as Percy drew her gun. He cranked it a little lower. Just so he could watch the suprise on everyone's face. Beautiful.

"Well then. Logic dictates that people with guns shod be listened too. Hahahaha." He finishes off his food. "I have no issue with the train plan. However. We must be ready. Even once we've escaped we'll be getting some unwelcome attention from mercenaries. While most of them are bumbling fools with more bombs then sense. One or two of them are actually dangerous."

"As such, we may want at least a few rudimentary defenses before we set off. It will be difficult to arrange them if we're already under attack."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

Two of his hands were pressed against his ears as High Gear moved to protect himself from the sound of the gunshot, staying there for a while even as the echoes dissipated as his face fluctuated between various different flavors of grimace before settling on a particularly petulant one, along with a deluge of quiet mumbling about 'baseless ad hominems' and 'I'm way smarters' and 'fine sorry whatevers' that didn't manage to be either very convincing or even audible, before he tapered off into silence.

"...you know what?"

"Fine."

"All I want is the unobtainium. If you have some weird obsession with micromanaging the rest of these incompetents then fine. You know why? Because unlike you, I care about the goal instead of my ego", said High Gear, in the least self-aware statement of the century.

"As for anti-mercenary plans? Sure, we'll add that to the pile why not."

"And as for you..." High Gear turned to face Wild Bull, "...the train WILL have to be stopped. So I suppose you could punch it. Or supplex it. Regardless, it's a big enough thing for you to smash since that is apparently all you care about or are good for. It's not like the unobtainium will break."

High Gear scoffed, and crossed his arms.

"There. Any more tedious bullshit for us to go through?"


OOC: So, I'm assuming the Black Squire is Proposing a caper that is just my caper except they're the mastermind? That works for me. But realize that only works for me since 'taking the lead of the caper' was sort of their prompt, and also because it's funny in this instance. But let's keep this whole 'I want to be the leader of another person's caper without actually bothering to make one myself' a one time thing due to special circumstances this time around, okay? If that really was the intent here, I accept, and also immediately Second said caper.

As for Moves, I mark Curses from responding to the Cow (Curse you for making me look like a manchild, Black Squire!)

Theantero fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2017 around 18:46

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - 23rd Floor - Cafe

Ea paused mid-process of reluctantly following the metal suit’s arm movements as the Black Squire fired off both bullet and scathing words. She cooked and humiliated High Gear in front of everyone? Such a delightful turn of events, it was all the alien could do to restrain themself from smirking. Even still, there was the slightest hint of held back amusement as Ea responded to Ursula.

[There is no particular attachment to the floor itself, but rather the many attachments that come with it. So long as enough electricity is diverted to power the game consoles, then this is one is willing to accept a measure of security installation.]

Then, the alien listened as High Gear gave in. Oh, certainly, he made his excuses and painted himself as the generous one in this situation, but Ea understood it for what it was. And that sight, they decided, was the finest treat that there was on this planet. There was an unmistakable sense of cheerfulness in Ea’s tone as they said,

[This one has no complaints to be made, and shall concede to the candled one’s plan.]

OOC: Voting for High Gear’s the Black Squire’s Caper since Ea’lyiz’s been thoroughly enjoying the turn of affairs.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Trouble +0 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner Time


...Wait, did High Gear just say I could suplex the train? Can... can I actually do that? Wait, what am I talking about, of course I can! "Yeah..." I nod to myself, "Yeah!" I nod to myself again, as a big, goofy smile forms on my face, "I can suplex the train!"

I shoot up from my chair, and bang my fist excitedly on the table, and almost end up breaking it, "Well!? What are we waiting for!? Let's go do this thing right now! That train ain't gonna suplex itself!"

Voting on High Gear's Black Squire's plan so Bull can punch/suplex a train!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


Is that all? I think back to Ea. Then do not worry. A gamer, huh? That's interesting.

Everyone is rather excited for Gear's plan over what seems rather superficial reasons. I do not fault them. They lack my practice at making hard decisions. To be led by their emotions even with strategy is the failing of man after all.

I sigh. "I can see where this is going. I defer to your wishes. I do, however, request some assurance that the material will be used for the benifit of us all."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

High Gear performed a nasal, haughty sort of laugh.

"Haha, as if you're in a position to make demands of any kind. But yes, as I already stated earlier, a fact that you would be aware of if you were paying attention, the amount of unobtainium we choose to keep will go into assets useful for this... alliance. In fact, one of the very first arguments I gave in favor of the plan was that you people could use better gear to be of any use."

High Gear rubbed his temple with one of his hands in exasperation, "Now I know that such can be difficult for you, but try to keep up if you could?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


"Don't put words in my mouth." I hiss and glare at him. "You would decide what gear we need without consulting us. I would not want something considered useful to me only by your narrow perspective."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Cards: 0 | Location: Labyrinth - Dinner

An impatient tapping of his many fingers paced High Gear's words as he spoke, clearly somewhat irritated.

"Your opinions and ideas on your own equipment will be considered when necessary for making you things you both need and are willing to use. That is all I am willing to promise you. No more."

"This conversation is over. And taken that we've reached majority..?" High Gear rose from his seat, and donned his mask and helmet again, "I've got actual work to do. See you all later later I suppose. Even if I'm sure it'll be far too soon."

And with that, he left, without lending an ear to any further word or argument.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Labyrinth - 23rd Floor - Cafe


"Sorry.", Percy says with a crooked grin to Ursula as she's yanked over. "You make a good point, but... would it be possible to steal the plans or code instead? Might want to look into that... could be better to make something all our own. Could ask EZ to help if you need it."

Picking the gun up loosely, more like handling a napkin than a firearm, she looks after Gear. "You forgot to say thanks.", she says casually as he rushes off, her eyes drifting down to the gun as she shakes her head slightly.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - 23rd Floor - Cafe

Having already made their stance on the next Caper quite clear, Ea seems almost surprised as they’re addressed again. Why do they continue to converse about such menial matters? Closing all of their eyes in mild irritation, the alien replies with a mental sigh,

[This one and the associates have in union decided to stop this so called H.P.A.T. What does this one gain from exerting further effort to assist the shackled inventor?]

Though spoken dismissively, there was an air of genuine inquiry behind Ea’s words. Most likely because up until the Black Squire made a scene, they weren’t particularly interested in what either High Gear or Ursula was saying.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Labyrinth - 23rd Floor - Cafe


Holstering her gun under the table, Squire takes up a forkful of food, chewing as if not in a particular hurry to reply. After her pause for thought, she replies, "Understanding? Favors? Protection? But that's up to Ursula, not me. If you've got something better to do, though..."

Looking up to Wild Bull where she stands, she adds quietly. "It's a train job, Bully. Gotta wait for the train."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger 0 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace 0
Curses! 0/5 Conditions:


This the gun away N-Prime finally releases from the defensive posture. I am free to finish my breakfast. I can't help but sigh as N-Prime pushes my chair back up to the table. Better for false positives than false negatives. The rest of the conversation is a little hard to follow, like eavesdropping on a phone call.

"Hmm? Does Ea'liz expect a bribe? And here I was hoping to make some friends." I run my fork through the eggs. "If we only saw each other for what they can materially provide ourselves, why... You're all just organ donors. Of course I do not balk at the dirty work of forwarding science but the thing with vivisections are you only get one shot at it. Xenobiology has so much ground that still needs to be covered. Data on a psychic brain would do wonders for my homonculi. I have no doubt so much would fall through the cracks. Besides." I smile to Ea'lyiz. "My intellectual curiosity extends to your culture. And science has not progressed such that I could merely cut the memories out of your head." With a full mouth I continue, "There is more you can gain from friends than simple compensation. The extorted tend to be frugal."

I hope my sincerity gets through to her. Actually, I'm not sure if sincerity was the correct tone for exploratory surgery on useless companions. But I was talking about how I wasn't planning on doing that so it's okay! Right?

11, unleash power Fear and Intimidation. Ea'lyiz rethinks being dismissive of Ursula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth - 23rd Floor - Cafe

Ea turns their head to Ursula as she speaks, eyes still closed. Really? This wheelchair bound human thought to threaten them? The sheer absurdity of it all was enough to make the alien recoil. Really? Really. They were really, truly, honestly doing such an utterly incomprehensible thing. It was, in a way, almost admirable of the girl. Almost. Yet to do it so blatantly, right in Ea’s presence, when all she had to protect herself was a single scrap of metal was nothing short of foolish. Complete foolishness in its entirety. Slowly drawing in a long breath, Ea replied icily,

[A bribe. Do you really believe this one to be so petty as you children of Earth? All this one required was a simple explanation as to why it would be worth this one’s time. Favors? Undesired. Protection? Unneeded. Friendship? Unwanted. Yet so long as the venture was proven interesting, even if it was of no personal benefit, this one may have graced the shackled inventor with assistance if asked. May have. But now you accuse this one, threaten under pretense of ‘intellectual curiosity.’ This one’s culture? You have no right to learn of this one’s culture. For such impudence, Ursula, hear these words.]

Ea’lyiz of the Hymfazther opened each and every single eye, which bore down with pure, sheer contempt upon their perceived aggressor.

“Learn your place, mongrel.

quote:

[22:54] <TheFireMagi> Ea'lyiz rebukes Ursula for her impudence!
[22:54] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+1
[22:54] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 11+1 = 12

OOC: Stop being dismissive? Okay-dokey! Disdain, then. On a hit, they hear you: Mark Curses!, clear a condition (that you don’t have), or shift labels if they respond. Since it’s a 10+, I add +1 Plan to the pool I guess?

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Mar 17, 2017 around 03:51

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«5 »