Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Trouble +1 | Superior +0 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Train Tracks

"Hardly, I'm merely getting a good vantage point of what's about to happen next." Tock replied on the radio. Then he broadcast on all channels.

"Bull, High Gear just attacked Black Squire, pinned her to a wall and punched her in the face. Thought you should know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Brass Juggernaut


When that comes over the intercom, Squire actually stops firing and lowers her gun. "Oh, not now.", she mumbles out loud with nobody to hear atop the ship. She had presumed that revelation was her round to fire, after all. Worst case, Ursula would have brought it up afterwards. Now it's been spent at the worst possible time. She shoulders the rifle. Whatever happened, she wasn't going to jail. The others could all go to blazes in a fast basket if they wanted, it was time to see what she could salvage out of this mess.

If it wasn't too late for even that much, anyway.

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.


On a clear day, in the dry wasteland, there is a flash of lightning. It strikes the ground near the tracks, liquefying the ground in a 25-foot radius around it, – if the HPAT had still be running, the new quicksand surely would have brought it to a halt – and from the exact center of where the lightning struck the ground, steps out a man.



His appearance is common knowledge in Avalon. It is Kite, High Wizard of the Table. An empty beer can follows him from the closing portal behind him. He grunts, didn’t mean to take that with him. Oh well. “Halt!” He yells as his eyes readjust to the new light, “Stop the train! I will not allow such dangerous material into Avalon Cit--” His voice trails off. The HPAT is crashed, the last bits of Minnows rain lazily from the sky, and in front him, someone is pile driving a mecha off an airship into a pile of mines.

Victory has been Snatched! The Heroes have arrived and the Jig is Up! But they are slow to react! Everyone takes +1 Forward to their next roll!





For a very brief moment, Conductor Revenna was having a good time, “Hahaha! How do YOU like it!” She yelled from inside her cockpit. The HPAT Mobile was tearing into the floating piece of junk that pompous villain ‘High Gear’ had announced himself from, and there seemed to be no response coming from the ship. A few more seconds, she would break the bridge armor, and then – a warning blip popped up on her sensors. A figure, coming from the ground. Hey, wasn’t that the bitch that had flipped her train?

Then Wild Bull slammed the HPAT Mobile off the Brass Juggernaut

“gently caress!” Revenna yelled. Okay, it was going to be okay, she was knocked skywards; as long as she could land back on the airship, and as long as there weren’t ANY MORE WARNING SIGNALS. WHY WERE THERE MORE WARNING SIGNALS? Something had attached itself to the back of the mecha – that bitch, again? – and now the HPAT Mobile was descending at a much faster rate. Right into-- a pile of mines? “gently caress! YOU!” She yelled again, crossing her mecha’s arms in front of the vulnerable cockpit.

The HPAT Mobile hit the mines.



The ground shook for miles.

Conductor Ravenna Marks Angry!

Still, the High-Priority-Armored-Train wasn’t called armored for nothing. From the dust, it rose, more than a little dented, but still functional. From within the cockpit, Ravenna grinned and patted the dashboard affectionately, “Haha! I knew you could take it, baby!” One step forward out of the crater, and an almost blinding light appeared in front of her. Another warning? No, it wasn’t on the UI, but the direct feed camera – coming from outside the mecha. A flare? Who placed a flare on the –

The HPAT is Made Vulnerable by Tock’s Trap!

The first alchemical shot slammed into the side of the mecha, covering it in thick, immobilizing crystals of ice. Revenna reacted quickly, using the Mobile’s other arm to start carving away big chunks of ice. The HPAT’s engine roared as it pushed it into overdrive. By her instincts, she only had a few more seconds to free herself and take cover before the followup shot came.

Her instincts underestimated Black Squire’s marksmanship.



A bullet of flame, well-aimed (and guided by the magnet placed by Tock), slices through ice, armor, and directly into the cockpit of the HPAT Mobile. The roaring engine dies, the mecha falls first to it’s knees, then onto it’s side with a loud thud, an emergency escape hatch automatically opens.

There is a moment of silent.

Then Revenna crawled out, her cybernetic arm sheared off at the elbow, her one remaining hand holding a pistol. “You loving bastards! You bastard fuckers! I’ll--” Her voice hitched as she turned around and caught sight of her broken mecha, “I… Just wanted to drive my train!” as she spoke, she dropped the pistol unto the dirt.

Conductor Revenna Marks Hopeless. She has not reached her maximum conditions, but due to the destruction of the HPAT, she has lost the Will to Fight On!!

She fell to her knees, and then on her side – mimicking exactly the fall of her machine. She chokes out, “My baby… my sweet baby, you were too good for this world...” There are tears in her eyes.



Kite watches the proceedings with his mouth slightly agape.

The mercenary Badachen, scrap cloth stuffed into his nose to stop the bleeding, walks up to the High Wizard, “If you came to stop the train, I’m afraid you got beat.”

thud. Metal feet on dirt.

“Yep. The... actually, the pilot – Far Seer? Hard to hear on moving trains -- mentioned they didn’t even have a group name. Pretty amateur, if you ask me, but they’ve,” he points to his busted nose, “got some real muscle.”

thud thud. The pace increases.

“Anyways, far as I can tell, they’ve got the Unobtainium. So if you want it you’re going to have to take it from--” thud thud thud, “What!” Badachen turned towards the approaching giant, “Could possibly be so important at this point, Metallica?”

Silent as ever, the giant answers by increasing his speed – thud thud thud thud – and scooping Badachen into his iron hand.

“Woah! Put me down! I didn’t betray you! I fought til the end! Look at my face. Hey, are you listening? Put me down!”

Kite’s jaw dropped a centimeter lower.

--

High Gear – Well, this has been an incredibly irritating few minutes. People you presumed were competent have revealed their true nature. People you knew were incompetent decided now was the perfect time to bother you, and worst of all, Ea’Lyiz got the Unobtainium after you told her she was wrong! You had a good excuse to be wrong. The Best Excuse to be wrong, basically! But still –

Perhaps there is more treasure than just the Unobtainium. That strange, metal golem that was guarding the back of the train, for instance. Metallica is currently jogging at the chains dangling from the bottom of the Brass Juggernaut. They’re meant to pick up train cars, so they could probably support his weight. If you ordered it you could definitely get them back inside the ship before he had a chance to grab them, Yet… if he wants to climb into your cargo hold, isn’t he just saving you some effort?

As you watch the metal giant, something catches your eye. Did he just throw something at Ea’Lyiz?

What do you do?



Ea’Lyiz – You found the Unobtainium, you assaulted it’s guardian, you snatched it – all with only your own power. What would they do without you? Do you even need these dolts? They haven’t helped you at all! You haven’t ever been in a situation where you could possibly need their help!

Is basically what you’re thinking when Badachen slams into your back.

Luckily, the wind spirits that dampened his collision also dampened the force of his body. You are shaken much less than someone hit by something thrown by Metallica should be.

After a quick scramble in the air: you maintain your grip on the Unobtainium, but Badachen has managed to grasp one of your legs with both of his hands.

Dangling in the air, the mercenary captain grins uneasily, “We can do this the easy way! Let’s make a deal, eh? Drop one of those rocks,” he gestures his head towards one of the Unobtainium orbs you’re holding, “and I’ll let go of you, okay? We both stay safe, and you still get half! It’s rare stuff, real rare!” As he speaks, his eyes flash to the sword hanging from his waist. How fast could he reach it if you say no? He looks back at you with slightly more confidence; fast enough, by his reckoning.

What do you do?



Ursula – You are literally lying on the floor, watching High Gear tantrum over the most foolish thing. Well, at least the airship stopped shaking after Wild Bull pile-drove the HPAT Mobile off the bridge and into a crater. At least she’s good for something.

Surprisingly, you’re the first one to notice the arrival of the new hero. One of your droids on the ground sends you a simple query, “New Target. Can Creator Identify?” alongside a slightly out of focus image. You recognize the figure immediately – you know Kite. Not well, but he often came to the Institute of Illumination to lecture about the importance of ethics and of not doing unethical science. Very old fashion, but, you must admit, quite a powerful student of Magic – if he’s here, things just got significantly worse for the Villain Alliance.

Reminding you of your Reactive move, Inside Man. You don’t have to use it, but just want to note that Kite is a notable hero that you could easily know more about.

You still have droids on the ground, a voice link to the rest of the team, a close connection with the floor, and your own genius mind.

What do you do?




Wild Bull – That was really badass. You’re a badass.

You already knew that, but still, it’s nice to have it confirmed once again. Now that Revenna has given up the fight and, uh, started crying, do you want to say something cool? Something from a movie you like? Something to make Revenna remember WILD BULL, the badass who flipped her train and piledrove her mech and nearly singlehandedly made today the worst day of her life?

Also, Tock just sent you a pretty important message. Do you believe him, or do you think he’s just manipulating you? If what he said is true… does it even matter if he’s manipulating you?

What do you do?



Black Squire – For a moment, you felt the satisfaction of a clean shot. Whoever placed the flare – it was probably Tock, it must’ve been Tock – had chosen the perfect spot. Your bullet hit the target. The target fell. Good. Clean. Simple.

Exactly the opposite of the rest of this loving mission. Everyone’s been a headache except – Ursula and Ea’Lyiz, huh, that’s a surprising pair to follow your orders. (Wait, where did Ursula go? She wasn’t in her chair, but it’s hard to imagine her moving unless she just fell over – oh.) Well, Wild Bull’s also been ‘good’, but she’s probably about to do something reckless – you’re going to have to act fast if you want to nip that problem in the bud.

But, do you really? You agreed to be Mastermind, but this is feels like babysitting. Especially High Gear. You could try to keep up team cohesion… oooorrrr you could stay on the roof of the Brass Juggernaut, taking shots. It’s a lot easier than trying to herd those cats, and you’re in somewhat of a ‘target-rich environment’ with the jogging metal giant, the thrown mercenary captain, and whoever just stepped out of that lighting bolt. It’s very tempting, the idea of lowering your communicator’s volume, and just staying on the roof. Maybe too tempting...

What do you do?



Tock – Your trap worked perfectly. Black Squire is an excellent shot. High Gear is a bothersome child.

Everything as you expected, then.

While watching what happens after you provoked Wild Bull informed the team of High Gear’s rash tantrum is sure to be most amusing, there is something else that might be worth your attention.

The sudden appearance of Kite, High Wizard of the Table, and fierce rival of BlackStaff. Kite is stodgy, meddling, and a bit of a drunkard – but he’s an incredible sorcerer with a strong sense of morals. A significant portion of your work for BlackStaff was covering up evidence so “that old coot” Kite didn’t get on his trail. BlackStaff might be willing to delve into the darkest depths of magic, but he’ll always be an inferior Practitioner of The Art compared to Kite. That fact irritated him.

While the context might not be perfect, being that you’re in the middle of a train robbery and he’s come to stop you, you still have time (you always have time, haha) for a quick conversation. Maybe set some things in motion back in Avalon City?

Or you could let the old wizard do as he wishes, and try to assist your group of meatshields team with their more immediate problems. They seem like they could use the help, right now.

What do you do?



Everybody – Kite brings a hand to his face, and uses it to gently close his drooping jaw. He blinks once, twice, then comes to a decision.

He’d come to prevent the Unobtainium from entering Avalon City. The Unobtainium had been stolen by a group of villains using an airship. This was not what he expected, but – what do to next was obvious.

With a flourish, he slams his staff into the ground. A honeycomb, protective bubble appears around him, and the winds begin to rip furiously across the wasteland. In the sky directly above Kite, clouds begin to appear from nowhere, obscuring the sun.

It’s clear that if nothing is done to interfere with Kite’s casting, something Big is going to happen. But that might not matter, if you're far enough away.

As mentioned earlier, everybody Take +1 Forward, and everybody feels the harsh breeze of Kite’s magic. It’s time to get away, with what you can, if you can!

Scrree fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2017 around 02:06

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Angry | Cards: 2 | Location: The Brass Juggernaut

High Gear tapped the fingers of one of his hands against the control panel. Slowly. Deliberately. Tock was being bothersome, and hilariously enough, just proving him right about his general unhelpfulness by starting drama at the worst possible time. He peered through the window of the bridge, and magnified the camera images on the man that had appeared. That was... Kite? He thought? Ebony Mask might have mentioned him and he was known to be a fairly powerful wizard, but High Gear had never had all that much interest in the practitioners of the inferior, non-STAB (Sidereology, Topomancy, Arcaneering and Biomancy, in HG's mind the only magics reliable and rigorous enough to be considered of real importance) fields. He was fairly unknown to him.

Hmph. High Gear craned his head a bit, taking a look at the fallen over Ursula. Without much word, he walked over to her, lifted up her chair, and pointed at the images of the man. "So, I'm detecting some thaumic ambience in the air", he said, tone non-confrontational and rather flat, even, "Due to him. Have to say I'm not too familiar with him however. But maybe you are? And if so, have you any bright ideas to share?"

"If you have, you might want to share them since if the Juggernaut goes down, I bet you'll have much more trouble digging yourself from the rubble than I would."

Theantero fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2017 around 01:59

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Paranoid | Location: Train Tracks

As Tock’s voice sounds out across the radio, Ea’s brow raises in confusion. While it was a very High Gear thing to do, the alien was uncertain as to why Tock was reporting it at all, let alone to the mindless animal of all people. Was there some meaning there that they were missing? No, surely not, that was ridiculous. After the lack of aptitude shown here, it was impossible for Ea to even conceive the thought of these children of Earth slipping a lie past them. If they even had the mental capacity to lie, it would have came as a surprise at this point. Indeed, the entire ‘Caper’ began to make Ea wonder what worth there was in hanging around with these dolts, if there was any at all. Perhaps-

Once more, Ea’s train of thought is interrupted as something collides into their back, though the impact was more surprising than damaging. What really caught the alien’s attention, besides having to do a quick catching of several airborne pieces of unobtanium, was the additional weight on one of their leg. What new nonsense was this!? ...Oh. It was a human, apparently, although where it had come from was unclear. Raising their other leg almost lazily, Ea fully intends to slam a hoof down onto Badachen’s head when he speaks. No, not just speak, but practically demands. Demands, with the hint of a threat. The alien silently stares for several seconds, before saying,

[Consider yourself fortunate, child of Earth, that this one is in an… acceptable mood, post-successful retrieval of the ‘unobtanium.’ Else this punishment for your impudence may have come more severe.]

Ea’lyiz’s many eyes widen, focus in on Badachen’s own. There is a period of almost tranquility, and then the alien reaches in. There is no grace. There is no style. There is only the forceful intrusion of his thoughts, of his mind, and then the breaking of his will. Such a man did not deserve any better. Then, in a dismissive and a very ‘I am so done with this poo poo,” tone, they ,

“Relinquish your grasp on this one’s leg post-haste, scum. This one has not the time, nor the care to play along with your games. Go lay your filthy hands on another.”

As the alien speaks, the wind begins to pick up, begins to howl. Ea’lyiz turns their attention to the source, to the elderly man known as Kite. They do not know how the old man does what he does, or even why. They do not care. They only understand that on this battlefield, another comes to interfere, to prove themselves a nuisance. Their temper all but ready to burst, Ea’lyiz quietly adds,

“Gracious as this one is, this one shall even assist you, scum.”

Waiting for Badachen to release his grip, Ea’lyiz winds back, and then punts the man back towards Kite. Without even looking to see whether their aim was true, the alien proceeds to fly in the direction of the Brass Juggernaut. With nothing left standing in their way (as it should be), the alien ignores Metallica chasing after from below, and lands on the the outskirts of the skyship. Taking in a final deep breath of the outside air, Ea slowly makes their way back onto the command deck, unobtanium in hand. A look at Ursula. A look at High Gear. Then, a simple,

[This one has accomplished the mission.]

quote:

[21:34] <TheFireMagi> Ea'lyiz is trying to brainwash Badachen to let go of their leg already, and go bother that stupid old man instead!
[21:34] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+3
[21:34] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 11+3 = 14
[21:34] <TheFireMagi> got 'em
[21:34] <Theantero>

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2017 around 02:19

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 Infamy 1 Conditions:


Well this is basically proceeding down to my expectations. A pissing contest of wits between two mental eunuchs. The more clever someone is the more foolish as they are blind to their own ignorance. I of course avoid this by being intelligent, not clever. And it is hard to over estimate oneself when everything is such a chore.

Oh good. Now a member of the Table is here. That's what we need. And it's the sanctimonious academic, old fart edition. Marvelous. "Target Kite, confirmed." I tell the droids.

I get on the comms. "We have extra company. That's Kite of the Table if you don't do your homework. I've had the pleasure of having him regale me the importance of ethics in study." I believe my venomous sarcasm is enough to understood over the channel. "A real bleeding heart. Specializes in healing, barriers, general support spells. He'll make anyone still fighting extremely dangerous. Prioritize him."

I sigh then add, "And if anyone doesn't have anything better to do I didn't prepare for the ground below me to turn over so I could use some assistance."


10 Inside man. (forgot to add the +1) What is the blind spot of his defenses?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Angry | Cards: 2 | Location: The Brass Juggernaut

There's an awkward sort of silence, as High Gear waited for the smug alien to rub in her victory, and he had a repertoire of counter-arguments and smarmy comebacks already prepared for the inevitable. Suffice it to say, he was rather surprised (and deep down, maybe a bit disappointed too) that he didn't actually get a chance to use any of them.

"...So you have", he finally stated, still waiting for some sort of reply. But none was immediately coming. "Good job I suppose? Really, I have to admit I'm a bit surprised on how well you did, since I was almost 80% certain all you could do was beg for snacks and be bad at video games. Didn't expect you to be one of the few actually worth anything in this outfit."

Still nothing. And High Gear, still in a rather irate state of mind, was starting to get a bit annoyed. "What? You want a medal or something, huh? Pats on the head?" and true enough, High Gear placed one of his metal hands on the alien's head and gave it a few, excessively patronizing pats to reinforce his point. Her head was pretty fuzzy, actually, now that he thought of it, as per the haptic feedback of his suit. Not an unpleasant texture at all. Also, he had kept the hand on the head perhaps a couple seconds too long at this point. Perhaps it would be a good time to withdraw it? Yes.

High Gear did so. The awkward silence remained. He cleared his throat, turned around and crossed two of his hands behind his back, gesticulating slightly with the remaining free pair.

"But yes, good job."

"...Anyways", he continued, clearly trying to change the subject, "We have several new issues to actually deal with here, so pay attention. First of all, this wizard of the Table, and the idiot fairy in our own team that's trying to instigate infighting to ruin this caper. There is the golem too, which I still maintain we should try and capture. However, that all depends on whether Wild Bull takes the bait and starts some sort of pathetic tantrum, which I wouldn't honestly doubt taken how much of an ill-behaved child she is. So I say we wait a moment, for now, and see how the situation develops before committing. Am I clear?"

Theantero fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2017 around 02:40

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Paranoid | Location: Train Tracks

Ea just stares blankly as High Gear prattles on. On another day, at another time, they would be more than happy to exchange barbed words with the man of metal, and put him in his place. That is to say, beneath Ea. But right now? After all that had occurred? The alien was all but ready to return to the Labyrinth, and settle in for another session of Caliburn X-2. This time without High Gear, Ea thought, as he proved an insufferable opponent. Content to let him ramble, Ea begins to close their many eyes and let their mind fade away from the sounds of the battlefield when-

What. What is this. What is he doing. What. Why is he feeling up the top of their head. The sheer absurdness of the situation causes Ea to freeze up, caught completely off guard in their stupor. Seriously, what. Why is he continuing to do this. Not only is High Gear continuing this strange gesture, he’s even… praising her efforts? Has the world gone mad in the last minute? Or should they say, has the world finally gone sane? Was he… actually acknowledging them? No, it couldn’t be. Much as Ea sought out this moment, the alien imagined it a mere dream, with how arrogant and stubborn the man of metal could be. But… it was happening?

And then, it passes. He retracts his hand. In a rare display of what can only be described as timidness born from an incredibly high level of shock, Ea opens their eyes, glancing sideways at High Gear as he resumes speaking. No, really, what just happened and why did it… why did it, for just a moment, of course, no longer than that, really it was probably only a second, no, a microsecond, or a nanosecond even! But for that brief, transient, fleeting nanosecond, why did all those feelings of anger, of uncertainty, of paranoia just… fade away? Not only fade away, but replaced with-

Ea jolts upright, forcing themself to attention, and this new feeling too fades. Replaced instead with a much more familiar, and much more comfortable sense of “Who does the man of metal think he is, ordering this one around?” With a small but snide ‘Hmph!’, the alien replies,

[You may do as you like, man of metal, yet this one has done far more than their share of the load of work, including the share of the associates as well. As such, there shall be no complaints heard if this one takes this opportunity to relax. If this one feels gracious enough, then perhaps continued effort may be spent. May be.]

Yes, this was right, Ea thought. High Gear would make some outrageous claim or statement, and the alien would cut him down to size. This was how it should be. Not… whatever in the worlds just happened back then.

OOC: Alien praised, Influence given to High Gear!

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2017 around 03:11

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Brass Juggernaut


Looking back over her shoulder, Percy squints at Kite's arrival. She sighs, rolling her eyes to the skies, and then pulls her rifle off her back, ejecting the clip and fishing another out of her jacket. Glancing at the black bullets in the clip, she slides it into the rifle it in as she swings around, sighting in on the wizard. "Hey, Kite, 'sup?", she says too far away for him to reasonably hear, creating a new weathercock with an offhanded gesture before glancing down the sight of her rifle. She needn't be so accurate this time, though, as she squeezes the trigger as quickly as she can sight in on her target.

As the bullets impact, they don't glance off the shield, instead erupting into splashes of a black, iridescent fluid. The liquid scatters across the shield, obscuring and shadowing the wizard... and hopefully blocking his vision. As far as Squire knew, that gave him two options with whatever he was casting: firing blind or bringing the shield down to get a clear view. Either way was fine with her, but she fishes out a round with a pale white tip in the case of the latter, biting down on it as she focuses on him again. The thought of actually taking down a table member has, at least, distracted her from her melancholy. It's stupid, she shouldn't be bothering. Let the others deal with it. She really ought to fill her jacket with unobtainium and bail. But if she can... if she can actually nail a member of the table? That might make all of this babysitting worthwhile.

Wagering Lab to Distract Kite, and got a 12. Going to choose "You confuse them for some time." and using Watch the Birdie to "Make them vulnerable.", and getting +1 forward on Exploit Weakness against Kite for the rest of the scene.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Trouble +1 | Superior +0 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Train Tracks

Well well well... would you look at that. The only thorn in BlackStaff's side he was actually afraid of.

"Publicly you're right, but he's far more capable then just that Ursula" Tock chided. "A mage doesn't rise to the high council without being supremely skilled in all magic. And you don't want to stay for a demonstration. All of you disengage. Even your anti-magic defences won't last long against him, High Gear."

Yes, he did just give a compliment, suggesting that High Gears magic defences were exceptional. Tock wasn't incapable of compliments, he just prefered to use them to establish when things were going wrong.

"I'll try and hold his attention. Give you some time to get away."

Tock didn't have a choice. He had to make use of this moment. There was no way this chance would come again in 1000 years. Tock was gong to do what he was best at. Making trouble for other people.

Riding the shell casing down to the dessert wastes below, Tock flashed over to the old wizard. Stopping short a respectful distance.

"Greetings, mighty Kite. Please do excuse the ink barrage. Understandably those on the airship are unkeen to face your wroth." Tock started. Bowing low before the mage. Already feeling his sight passing over and through his form.

"I am Tock. Servant of BlackStaff. A spirit enslaved for the purpose of black ops, assassination, spying, infiltration, and sabotage. I humbly request that you do not blast the stupid looking ship out of the sky. Lest my master's work be for naught. He has been planning this mission for some time. It would anger Master BlackStaff to know his carefully planned undercover operation had been foiled by one of his allies by mistake."

Tock laid the bait right at Kite's feet. He could only hope that the old man would take it.

- - -

3:52 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Tock will attempt to provoke Kite to ignore the ship and get curious about BlackStaff's activities.
3:52 PM !r 2d6+1
3:52 PM K<Krysmbot> ArashiOfOrdo3, 7+1 = 8
3:52 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 ....right
3:53 PM Well, it was nice knowing all of you.
3:53 PM Wait no
3:53 PM that's a total lie
3:53 PM T<Theantero> hahaha
3:53 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 burn and die you bastards

- - -

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Angry | Cards: 0 | Location: The Brass Juggernaut

Was the world going crazy? Why was everybody being so strangely reasonable all of a sudden? Well, High Gear certainly had no complaints about that. Indeed, in his magnanimity he even chose to not make a dig at Tock pertaining to his attempts at causing inter-alliance strife when he answered.

"...Acknowledged, Tock"

High Gear was excessively confident in his creations, yes, but even he wasn't dumb enough to discount a knight of the Table. That's why he had asked Ursula's opinion to begin with after all, so he saw no need to contradict Tock's assessment here.

"I'll begin the retreat, then", he answered. And sure enough, that's what he did, expertly turning the Juggernaut and starting to accelerate on their pre-planned escape vector.

Well, that was not the only thing he did. There was still something he had wanted to do that remained yet undone, after all. His eyes drifted to METALLICA, sprinting on the ground, making for the hanging chains. And try as he might, High Gear couldn't help but smirk underneath his mask. Things were going all according to plan, after all. Tock and Wild Bull were both out of range, unable to really touch him. He had the unobtainium. Even his prize was making an active effort to come to HIM, instead of him having to try and chase it. He just couldn't help but win, could he? High Gear flipped on the autopilot as he made towards the door.

"I didn't know you so weak of stamina", he snarked towards Ea, "But sure, fine. Have a little nap, have a drink if you so desire, I'm around 94.5% certain I can wrap this up all by myself regardless of what you choose to do", and with a final snap of his metallic fingers, High Gear opened a hidden minibar near Ea, before disappearing behind the heavy bridge doors.

It was time to end this.

_____________________

METALLICA ran, not paying too much attention to the horde of spider mines still left on the ground that jumped and grabbed onto it like little ticks. It had more pressing concerns, like jumping, grabbing the cargo chains, and climbing all the way up to the Brass Juggernaut's cargo hold. And that's exactly what it did. And when it succeeded, it was faced with a large, expansive hold, largely empty except for High Gear, who was standing, arms crossed, in the opposite end.

"Welcome, METALLICA!", the villain spoke "To the Brass Juggernaut! An assault vehicle bar none, a unique example of my supreme excellence in ALL things magimechanical."

METALLICA, being a construct of some description, was not very receptive to taunts, of course, and it merely charged. This did not in any way stop High Gear.

"...And your DOOM!"

It was at this point that the spider mines, that had clambered to METALLICA's joints decided to detonate, not strong enough by any measure to damage it, but they brought it to its knees momentarily, nonetheless. That was all that High Gear needed, as a number of magical energy projectors flipped in from the walls of the hold, and bound its arms and legs in some sort of crackling energy beams.

High Gear laughed. "And now, don't let anyone say that I, HIGH GEAR, am not a gracious host! Indeed, as a show of hospitality, I'll allow you the honor to observe the first test firing of my new TESLATHAUMIC DESTRUCTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" he stepped aside as a door behind him at the far end of the bay slooowly and dramatically slid open, revealing a pointlessly giant brass device with a variety of round metal bits attached to it. It crackled menacingly.

"Enjoy."

The ground below the Juggernaut was suddenly momentarily enveloped in a flash of blinding whiteness as a giant energy beam shot from behind the Juggernaut and disappeared into the horizon.


quote:

Theantero: well, regardless HG uses Discard, burning 2 Cards, and Wagers the Spider Mines to Directly Engage METALLICA
Theantero: !r 2d6+4
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+4 = 11

Right. I choose to Avoid their Blows since they're all bound up, and Creating an Opportunity for your allies myself as I try to make them Vulnerable so that I can hopefully Exploit its weakness next turn to capture it as per this whole side objective.

Also, my +1 Forward remains, since it was not applicable to this roll due to it being at +4 already.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2017 around 21:33

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 1 Conditions:


It seems we are largely of mind to retreat, a prudence I did not expect from anyone. Unless Tock is of course working some angle but that does not concern me at this point. What does is our escape with all my bones in tact. To escape Kite's scrying would be no simple feat. High Gears serviceable war machine is likely not up to the task. But, we have something at our disposal now that is of great use. The volatile reaction of Unobtanium puts magnesium powder to shame. Just a little bit into the combustion and the ship's engines will have us on the other side of the planet within the hour and raze this sight to glass. If the whole thing doesn't rupture and I join my ancestor Hindenburg in dubious honor.
There's a lot to consider. Even with a tablet to keep notes on there are so many variables to keep track of. This would be easier in a lab setting. Okay I think I got it. Hopefully this machine isn't made from parts each from the lowest bidder. His Majesty would never approve the plan, so I can't have him check my map. Sigh, okay let's try the Ea again. She's the one holding the stuff after all. Then when I'm desperate I'll float the idea to High Gear.

Ea'liyz. If you want to facilitate our timely escape you can mix that Unobtanium in with the ship's fuel to super charge the engines. You can claim credit for a successful get away. And I'm on the ship so I don't have a reason to lie to you about doing things to it. Now, it should be nine- no! Eight. Yes eight picograms. Yes eight I'm sure. maybe seven. I'm sure High Gear's construction can handle eight. I'm sending a droid down to the engine room to shave off the required amount.

At least if I'm wrong I can just tell Ea we could have avoided this if she helped me in the first place. ...If she lives.

Unleash powers 4. snake eyes on genius for super charge engines recipe

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Paranoid | Location: The Brass Juggernaut

Ea glances up as they’re digging through the suddenly appearing minibar, searching for ‘something’ (the dew) to drink. Again, Ursula is bothering them about some nonsense the alien didn’t understand why she didn’t just do herself. At least this time, it sounded as if there was some merit to the proposition. Why she couldn’t just order another drone to bring it down to the engine room… well, whatever. It wasn’t as if Ea was particularly busy. Besides, the alien hadn’t gotten much of a chance to explore the skyship, considering how quickly the team had leapt into action. Might as well do so now. Thinking that, Ea replied,

[Nine, eight, or seven, this one cares not, shackled inventor. If it leads to a more immediate return to the Labyrinth, this one shall deliver the ‘unobtanium’ to your mechanical servant.]

Scooping the unobtanium off the counter, Ea gives almost a longing look at the minibar before exiting the command deck, leaving Ursula to her devices as the alien heads for the engine room… wherever that was. How big could the skyship be, really? They’d have to find it eventually.

OOC: Taking the unobtanium to the engine room to let Ursula’s drone (try to) supercharge the engines.

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.


Mini-Prompt on the Reactions of a Certain Wizard.

Ursula - Ah yes, it's all coming back now. The dry tone of voice, the way people clapped their hands and rolled their eyes -- academic conferences are not something you regret leaving behind. Still, for all his stodginess, Kite did have a reputation of being an effective scalpel of justice. With judicious use of barriers, and a whole suite of low-key yet powerful supporting spells, Kite often delivered justice in the city with bare minimum or no collateral damage.

In the city, is the important bit. Here, in the wastelands, with no civilians around -- well, let's just say that spell he is casting doesn't seem 'low-key'. He might be a little rusty with the more grandiose schools of magic, but a rusty grenade is still a grenade.

His weaknesses are well known: his morals. He refuses to endanger innocents. He always believes in giving everyone a second chance. He meddles in the actions of other Knights when he think they're taking a wrong course of action. That's probably why he's here in the first place, trying to stop dangerous Unobtainium from entering the city despite the approval of the civilian government.

--

Black Squire - As the ink spills over the barrier, it shrinks, then suddenly expands, then shrinks again. It repeats this process a few more times, and you realize the magic is trying to 'throw off' your ink. The movement only serves to further coat the barrier -- your mixture is too perfect -- and after a few frustrated attempts, Kite let's it fall.

Kite Marks Vulnerable!

--

Tock - And then, with the barrier down, he sees you.

Kite listens to your respectful statement with a blank expression, then, he takes one of his hands from the air and places it on his jaw. He does not stop casting the spell with the other. You can see his jaw muscles clench as he mutters the word, "BlackStaff..."

Then he loses it, "BlackStaff! You vagabond! You cur! You are nothing but a foolish child, playing with fire and laughing right until it starts to burn!" You can see the magic course even faster into the air through Kite's right hand, while his left flourishes back and forth in angry motions to punctuate his ranting, "Oh, how you prattled on and on at the Table about how 'useful' the Unobtainium would be for the city, and then you pull this? Taking it into your own possession, for your own insidious use? Well, I see your play. I see your whole game."

Finally, with a snort so angry you'd almost swear you see literal steam come out of the old man's nose, he starts to calm down. He looks at you, his old eyes gazing into yours, and bows his head respectfully towards you, "Ah, I appreciate your warning, young sprite. If you see your master before home, would you do me the kindness of delivering my own warning to him?" He places his spare hand over his heart, "All creatures yearn to be free." His voice lowers a tad, trying to sound more inspiring? "Do not lose hope. You will not suffer in bondage forever."

Kite does not fall for your provoke, but has overreacted! He believes you intentionally gave him this 'warning' as a backhanded way of informing him of BlackStaff's involvement! (Which, you did, just not how he thinks.) Gain Influence on Kite!

--

Can you hear it coming..

in the distance. in the wastes.

the sound of hoofs

the sound of the charge

of the Wild Bull?

--------

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Trouble +0 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Saturday Night Slam Masters


You better believe that I'm a badass! When I get going, nothing can stop me! I'm a unstoppable force a' nature! And I should- Wait, is she crying?

..Oh jeez. She is crying.

No, Bull! You shouldn't let that bother you! Remember; you're a stone-cold badass! Don't feel sorry for her! Feeling sorry for other people is for weaklings, and besides, she started it! If she didn't want her train to get messed up, then she shouldn't of tried to wreck the ship! Yeah! It's her own fault! And besides, I'm a villain, I'm supposed to be gloating over her!

"...Uh," Come on, Bull, you can do this! Say something really cool and badass! "...That... uh... was... a cool robot you had there?" DAMMIT BULL!

gently caress me. It's a good thing Tock isn't around. He'd probably be laughing his rear end off if he saw me like this.

Huh? Was that Tock's voice? Wait, what did he just say!? High Gear did WHAT!?

"Oh you [b]MOTHERFUCKER! WHEN I GET BACK, I'M GOING TO RIP THOSE METAL ARMS OF YOURS OFF, AND SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR SCRAWNY rear end! I'LL USE THAT loving SHIP OF YOURS, AND SMASH YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH IT! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

I'm pissed. I'm really loving pissed. High Gear crossed a loving line he shouldn't have, and I'm going to make him regret it. Let's see how smug he can be when a raging Bull is coming for him.

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress! I need something to smash, NOW! There has to be SOMETHING I can beat up!

Is that Tock? Who the hell is that wizard guy he's talking to? Wait, isn't that guy supposed to be one of the Knights or some poo poo? poo poo, is Tock in trouble? Wait, why the hell would I be worried about him? It's not like I still care about him!

...AGH! FINE! Whatever! I GUESS I'll go save Tock!

"I'm going to borrow this," I say to the crying conductor lady, before I rip out one of the arms of the mecha train thing. I charge at the wizard, holding the giant arm as a club. I let out an angry roar as I charge, and once I got close enough, I swing the arm like an oversized bat at him. THWACK! He's sent, flying far away, sending him straight into a pile of spider mines. There's a huge explosion as he lands. There's no way he could be still standing after an attack like that.

"...Come on," I grab Tock by the hand, "Let's get the hell out of here."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Bull is going to Exploit Weakness by punting a wizard into a pile of mines!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+2 = 11

The fight is over, but they get to choose one:
- You take a powerful blow in return.
- They escape your clutches at the last moment before you saw it through.
- They manage to keep you from getting something you wanted.
- They pull off one last gambit. They choose one: Hold 1 Heat, exhaust one of your Assets, or burn 1 Plan.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Angry | Cards: 0 | Location: The Brass Juggernaut

"Yes, Wild Bull, very intimidating", High Gear's voice, nasal and singularly unimpressed, rang in the comms, "Even if I must note that a scathing indictment of violent retribution from somebody who's pathologically incapable of solving problems in any way other than punching them rings a bit hollow", granted, she was very, very good at that, but still, "So how about you check yourself before I have you sleep on the streets, hm? Do some self-reflection maybe? The Black Squire is professional enough to be capable of dealing with disciplinary measures all by herself, she doesn't need you to defend her. Know why? Because even if she's apparently totally untrustworthy, and thinks she can just risk my assets without first consulting me, at least she's not some tantrum prone child like yourself."

High Gear chuckled a bit.

"Now, shut up, you git. I've got some work to do still."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Brass Juggernaut


Sighting in, Squire gets a bead on Kite as the shield goes down, only to have the wizard vanish in a plume of dirt and metal. She sighs with a soft, "Aw.", frowning as she lowers her gun.

Going to her communicator, she makes that face she's been making so often in the past ten minutes, and says, "Gear, you'll have time to start all the fights you want when we're back home sitting on a pile of unobtainium. Get this piece of ship moving before I decide it's faster to heel it back!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Angry | Cards: 0 | Location: The Brass Juggernaut

A strong smell of ozone filled the cargo bay as the Teslathaumic Destructor wound down, and a strange, almost tranquil sort of silence descended momentarily upon the room's two occupants. Really, it might've been a scene High Gear could have even appreciated on some level, if he'd just pause to admire it.

Alas, he was far too busy getting into verbal slapfights over comms to appreciate anything occurring around him.

"Yes, it's me starting the fights, isn't it, Squire?", a laugh, a snort, the usual High Gear embellishments followed the statement, "Certainly not Tock, who starts drama because he can't actually defend anything he says. Certainly not you, who gave me false intel on purpose and risked my assets out of sheer petulance. And certainly not Bull here who threatens me and my belongings for giving you a tiny slap in response, as if it's some duty of mine to just keel over when you mess with my work, things, and trust. Yes, certainly it's me", High Gear's tone was so caustically sardonic at this point that it could probably have dissolved concrete, "who's starting fights."

He laughed, again.

"Really, this is just shocking lack of self-reflection from all of you. Maybe you all should stick to enforcer duty and basic goonery. Leave the thinking and, you know, forming something even resembling coherent thoughts to those of us who are actually capable of it."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: The Brass Juggernaut


"Is that so? I thought you were with the plan, Gear. I've just had to plug two heroes we wouldn't have had to fight if you'd stuck to it. You broke my trust the first chance you got.", replies Squire tensely. "But that's not important right now. What's important is being elsewhere."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +2 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 1 Conditions:


High Gear is a waste of breath, in both senses. Trying to speak to him is pointless. He will only understand his own failings when he facilitates them all by himself. And that is sure to happen.

"Leaving, should be taken care of shortly," I say over the channel. "I assume High Gear's machine is state of art and able to withstand staggering output. If anything I am worried for our people still on the ground. How big does the jet flares get?"

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.


Wild BullKite yells as you approach. “Halt! If you attempt to strike me down now, there shall terrible consequences!” You don’t stop. When your improvised bat slams into him, you don’t feel the expected feedback from connecting metal to Old Man. Instead, it feels like hitting… cloth?

You catch a glimpse of ‘Kite’ right before he lands on the Spider Mines, or rather, Kite’s robe. The wizard has vanished, leaving only his robe behind. Goddamn wizards! Always with some trick up their sleeves, or, er, always willing to leave their sleeves behind as a trick!

You Exploited Kite’s Weakness! The Fight is Over, but he has chosen ‘They escape your clutches at the last moment before you saw it through.’, and ran far away to fight another day!

Still, with a little help from your friends, you managed to send a member of the Table scurrying away!

Oh, and Badachen shows up again with a strange look on his face. He starts cutting the exploded remnants of Kite’s robe into even smaller pieces, that’s… probably one of your teammates doing.



Everyone – The High Wizard has fled, but the magic he was casting still remains. Without a master, it tangles into itself. The building honeycomb-pattern distorts and writhes. It inverts. The lashing winds are replaced by a sudden stillness, and then, in the sky – quite a bit above the Brass Juggernaut – it appears.

What’s the opposite of a barrier? Whatever that is, it’s hovering high over the wreck of the HPAT.



It’s time to go. That Thing will eventually eat itself into nothingness, but it’s going to do a lot of the damage in the meantime. Luckily, you all have a more than capable escape vehicle ready to go, and –

With a loud sputter, the Brass Juggernaut’s engines fail.



Ea’Lyiz – When Ursula’s drone drops the picograms of Unobtainium into the Brass Juggernaut’s feed intake, three things happen.

The drone is vaporized by uncontrollable feedback from the engine.

The engine stops, which is the exact opposite of what this action was hoping to accomplish!

The engine stopping causes a sudden shudder as the emergency ballast system is automatically turned on, and you, floating in the air, get bumped by the falling ceiling. D’oh!

Can these HUMANS do ANYTHING RIGHT?



High Gear – Metallica is hurt. His metal skin crackling and steaming from your ‘TESLATHAUMIC DESTRUCTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR’. Whatever powers him is straining to it’s utmost as he pulls against his bonds, but it’s not enough. He is bound, and exactly where you want him.

Then the power goes out. What!? How?! There is a moment of total silence in the empty cargo hold. Metallica is just as surprised as you are. That moment passes quickly, though, as he gets back up to his feet, his eyes glowing red.

He charges. This time, you have nothing to stop him.

You’re a genius, not a brute. Fleeing Undergoing a tactical retreat is the only sensible option! You duck through doors leading further into the Brass Juggernaut. Metallica tears out entire doorframes chasing you. Your genius mind can’t help but calculate the costs of the damage he is causing. You turn a sharp corner, he tries to follow, slips, and tumbles through the wall. You wince, that’s right above the engine room!

Metallica’s iron foot pierces the floor, slams in the side of the Brass Juggernaut’s engine, and jostles the valve controlling the O2 supply to the engine. Under normal conditions, this would certainly cause a worthless burn out, but if someone happened to add an incredibly dense fuel into the engine…

Despite being halfway trapped in the walls, Metallica’s not done with you yet. He reaches one of his huge arms out, blocking your escape. The only rises up in a fist, ready to smash you into paste – only to fall limply to the side. At such a close range you can see directly into his core, it’s gyrating jerkily and emitting large amounts of steam – it’s overheating? With one last flash of angry red from his visor, Metallica falls unconscious!

Hah! You Win!

Metallica falls into your possession, look below for details!



Everyone – The Brass Juggernaut’s main engine explodes. In a somewhat controlled fashion. The engine plume is large enough to reach the ground, and as it pushes into the sky the airship leaves a great trail of glass underneath it.

The Black Hole left behind by Kite greedily draws in the airship, but – it’s reach falls slightly short. As another Pictogram of Unobtainium explodes within the engines, the Brass Juggernaut escapes its pull.

Luckily, the ship had already been turned to face Avalon City, so even though it’s a mostly dead hunk of metal being propelled uncontrollably through the sky, it’s a hunk that’s traveling in the right direction.

The Brass Juggernaut is Deeply hosed, look below for details!



Ursula – When the Brass Juggernaut’s engines failed, the bridge of the ship tipped downwards. The front window, damaged by the HPAT Mobile earlier, popped out of it’s bearings. Out of this hole in the ship fell out several objects not bolted in – Black Squire’s Captain’s Chair, a loose monitor, and you.

Luckily, N-Prime was there to grab you. But it was at that moment, when you were on the outside nose of the Brass Juggernaut, that Metallica’s concussive maintenance restarted the engines.

Sudden g-forces slammed you against N-Prime, who tightened it’s protective embrace around you. The air pressure was so great you couldn’t even turn your head. N-Prime began to crawl, inch by inch, back into the safety of the bridge, but for a few, mind-numbingly terrifying minutes, all you could do is stare directly upwards, into the maw of a black hole, and –

Mark Afraid

– think about how this is all your fault this is all High Gear’s fault for designing such a rickety airship! Your calculations, even if they were made using incorrect assumptions you didn’t bother to double check, were perfect, it was his equipment that failed!

N-Prime succeeded in dragging you back inside to safety. You spent a small portion of the trip home involuntarily shaking.



Everyone – You suplexed a train. You took out the guards, both air and sky. You overcome all who opposed you – even a Knight of the Table! You got the goods. You’re ride out is a flaming wreck powered by explosions just stable enough to get you home!

MISSION… TOTAL SUCCESS. NO FAILURE AT ALL. (ACTUALLY, ONLY ONE FAILED ROLL – URSULA’S SNAKE EYES). OKAY, BASICALLY NO FAILURE.

ISSUE #1 --- COMPLETE



ISSUE #2 --- Not. Quite. Yet.






Everybody – You’re back in Avalon City, in the Labyrinth.

Time has passed.

Things have happened, and are happening.

Everyone Make End of Caper Infamy Rolls

quote:

At the end of a caper, roll +Heat. On a hit, you made the headlines: Hold 1 Infamy. On a 10+, take +1 forward, because your name means something. On a 7-9, you also make some enemies. Choose one: A hero wants payback; a villain wants credit; someone you cared about turns away from you.

Heat is THREE, so roll 2d6 + 3.



Black Squire – It must’ve been quite the relief to finally step out of that drat airship on to solid ground. Your first foray as a leader was… as much as a headache as it was a success. And it was a huge success. You got exactly what you wanted despite being opposed by Kite! High Gear might hold some petty grudge because you did what was actually smart instead of what he assumed was smart, but he’s only one person on a big team.

Next time everyone sits down to plan the next mission – and there needs to be a next mission, this is an alliance of sharks, always gotta be moving or they’ll suffocate – they’re going to be looking at you for leadership.

When the next Planning Phase starts, Black Squire – as the previous Mastermind – will set the scene and make the first proposal. You don’t have to come up with something right now, just forewarning you. Abstaining is an option, too.

Also, as you do a quick inventory of your alchemic bullets, you let your fingers fall on the pouches that held your ice and flame shot. You’d been a bit distracted by a stinging in your check at the time, but now that you let yourself relive the memory… that was a pretty impressive shot. Far longer than any shot you made while training under Gungrir, although you did have a flare to guide you…

Did you even thank Tock for that? He was really the only one would could’ve placed the flare. You probably wouldn’t have succeeded without him.

Even with help, a great shot was a great shot. The only question is, was it good enough?

Admitting a mistake I made as a GM. You have the Crook Want: Pull off a ridiculous stunt..

In my eyes, sniping an enemy mech that just got Bull-Suplexed into a crater from the top of a flying airship is a ridiculous stunt. I should’ve done this then.

If you also think it’s a ridiculous stunt tick off your want. and mark Curses!, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved – Which I will say is Tock, for placing the flare, or Wild Bull, for suplexing the HPAT Mobile.

If not, leave it unmarked and we’ll fill it out at a later date.


Well, memories are fun, but you’re the type of person that’s always looking to the future.

What do you do?


--

High Gear – The Brass Juggernaut… is in ruins.

There’s no other way to describe it. Metallica’s footprints are stamped all over the cargo hold, the bridge is missing several vital sensors thanks the HPAT Mobile, and the engine! The engine! To slow the ship down enough to make a safe landing, you had to jettison the fuel tanks!

You’re a Devout Atheist, but it makes you want to scream -- goddamn it!

The Brass Juggernaut is undergoing significant repairs, and thus Exhausted for the entirety of the next issue!

Luckily, the superstructure is intact enough to get back to get the ship back into a workable shape. Eventually.

In the mean time, there are two prizes from the raiding of the HPAT that occupy your attention. The first is, of course, the Golem Metallica –



– whose capture you sought and attained. He has not been a happy prisoner, and his structure is far more on the magical side of magitech. Still, you’re familiar enough with the principles of his construction to make effective bonds, and effective… tools of coercion. Robots, even ones with circuits of raw iron and blood of molten copper, can always be reprogrammed. The question is – do you? Are you the kind of the leader that rules his subjects through force, or do you ‘own them’ through logical argument?

Can you show Metallica that following you is simply the superior, most logical course of action?

Asset Gained! Metallica – Large Metal Construct; has all the powers of a giant person made entirely of metal! The silent, strong type.

Do you reprogram him, or recruit him ‘willingly’ (as much as someone forced to listen to High Gears speeches can be said to willingly do anything)? The choice is yours.


The other prize, the true purpose of the raid on the HPAT, is of course the Unobtainium, which has been… frustrating you?

The problem is simple. You’ve been observing your ‘allies’ closely. Watching all of their mistakes and failures in close detail. Your genius mind has naturally been noting all of the times when they could’ve succeeded with only the smallest bit of help. The type of help one gets from Unobtainium powered gear designed by the brilliant and wonderful High Gear. Your focus has been so distracted by your allies’ plight that, simply put, it’s difficult to think ways to make the Unobtainium useful for yourself. Oh, you can, of course, it’s just a struggle.

Complain about IRC about people not using your Spider Mines, and this is what you get! You want to be the Asset Sugar Daddy, well, for this prompt only – You may spend exactly 1 (one) Infamy to purchase 2 (two) Unobtainiun-Assets for 2 (two) of your allies!

You may also purchase Assets for yourself, at the normal of 1 Infamy for 1 Asset.


So many problems in the world, and only one High Gear to solve all of them.

What do you do?


--

Tock – It was almost touching, how Wild Bull came to ‘save you’ when you had Kite eating from the palm of your hand. Surely, you had a smirk on your face the whole ride back to Avalon City.

As the old saying goes, ‘seeds in old soil sprout quickly’. That old wizard Kite has been quite the busy bee, – once he got dressed. Apparently, his emergency teleport dropped him in the main marketplace of Upper Lorian wearing only his undercloths! Did you tell Wild Bull this? – and sniffed out several plots of BlackStaff since his return. Some were obvious false flags, but a couple were things definitely meant to stay hidden. The High Wizard seems to care more about your former master than retrieving the Unobtainium, which makes sense, giving that he now believes it was BlackStaff that arranged the theft in the first place.

What bid for power was BlackStaff undertaking while you were busy outside the city, how did Kite stifle him, and how did you come across this information?


The alliance has been… the alliance. Nothing more than an emergency last line of defense in case BlackStaff comes for you in full force, yet--

You set out on the mission to raid the HPAT with a little game in mind. Something to keep you entertained.

Tock’s Agenda Was (roughly(please forgive me, I actually lost the exact text copy, I am the worst GM)): ‘Assist and flirt with Black Squire, thus making Wild Bull Jealous.'

And it was the worst of your ‘comrades’, that insufferable prick, High Gear, who saw the pattern in your actions! The boy that has his head shoved so far up his own rear end he gives speeches to his kidneys, and HE was the one to call you out?

It vexes you, and you find yourself keeping a closer eye on High Gear than you feel is truly appropriate. He’s not a big deal, and certainly not nearly as competent as he thinks he is, yet…

High Gear guessed (approximately) correctly by calling out Tock for assisting Black Squire, and thus gains +1 Infamy, and Influence on Tock! Tock Marks Curses!

Even if they annoy you, you must keep your teammates around as long as they serve their purpose – and their purpose is to serve your true purpose. To protect you until you can bring freedom to your kin.

With that thought in mind,

What do you do?


--

Wild Bull – Homerunned a wizard! Hell yeah! Aw, he got away! loving Wizards!

Well, you still sent him packing. It was a good mission for you, in terms of sending people packing. It’d be a real fun memory if the thought of Tock’s message didn’t sour the whole thing. High Gear slapped, physically slapped! Black Squire? Did you go to her to confirm the story, or did you go straight to the source of the problem? How did you get back at High Gear? Or, are you going to save your righteous-yet-also-evil-because-your-a-villain JUSTICE for later? When he least expects it?

Also, Christie called. She wants to have a movie night, and she wants you to “bring a daaaaaaaaaaaate, girl”. It won’t be tomorrow, but soon – probably around the end of the next mission, now that you think about it? Did you ask anyone out to the movies, and if so, who? What movie did she say she wanted to see?

What do you do?



Ursula – Solid ground! Blessed, solid ground, where your drones are programmed to walk correctly and you don’t constantly end up with your face lying on a metal grate while N-Prime struggles valiantly with the concept of turbulence.

You can’t be too mad at the drone, it (he? She?) can through for you when you truly needed it.

The thought of your little… adventure on the nose of the Brass Juggernaut still sends shivers down your spine. A part of you wonders if perhaps that effect is worth investigating. Perhaps the involuntary muscle spasms caused by intense fear can be used to slow down muscle dystrophy?

That train of thought strikes you as a Bad Idea, but good inventions often came from Bad Ideas. That’s a truth that you and Her disagreed on strongly. How is the Margravine, anyways? You weren’t very ‘high profile’ during the mission, but it wouldn’t be infeasible to track your involvement, given your use of your signature droids on the ground.

Make your End of Issue Birthright Roll! You must make it after you roll the End of Caper Infamy Roll, and cannot spend Infamy before you make the roll! If your name is out on the streets, buying a cool robot doesn’t make you less notorious.

If you want to take the fear out of your heart, cuddling up to someone is a simple way to do it. But, there are many things to do, and so little time to accomplish them all. What are some nightmares of being trapped on a shuddering airship while staring into the depths of a black hole compared to the struggles of your daily life?

What do you do?



Ea’Lyiz –Soot in your face, a bump on your head – which really hurts when you have upper eyes! – is this your reward for being such an incredible, awesome, and successful member of the team? That, and head pats… the head pats were nice…

Still, when you think of your treatment during the mission, you cannot help but feel some bitterness. Where they trying to undermine you? It seems infeasible to excuse their offenses on account of ignorance; you can read their minds and they don’t seem that dumb! Yet, you also can’t find traces of active betrayal, so they must, must what? It’s a frustrating quandary, and one you find distractions for.

The first is the Junkers. They are begging, pleading, for your permission to abandon the old apartment base and move into the Labyrinth. Their old desires and routines – the lives they had before you came and touched their minds with your Contagion – are nothing but flickering shadows compared to the bright sun of You they now orient around. They will stay, if you tell them. They will do many things, if you tell them. But they want to leave and they want to be near you.

Reminder! At this point, you may still freely exchange your Apartment Base Asset for another Asset! After Issue #2 starts, this offer will no longer be available!

Your other distraction are the stars. Can you see Zuda’hym from here? There have been many Hymfazther civil wars, yet this is the first one you’ve been apart of. Is that why it feels so… foreboding? Any sign of your home in this foreign land feels like a blessing; a reminder that your people are strong, a reminder that you are strong.

You go looking, do you find anything?

I looked at your character sheet before making this post! I’m a great GM! Take your Far From Home roll!

Even if you find something useful, you still can’t leave. Not until you get The Message from your mother. So, trapped in this strange place with these strange people –

What do you do?




Everyone – Time has passed.

The Labyrinth is large, many things exist inside it.

The Labyrinth can change, especially if one puts some effort into it.

Where do you live now? What have you wrought with the enormous structure? Do you live in comfort?

Reminder that you live in a fuckoff-huge building.

As always, on IRC as much as I can be, yell at me if I hosed up, etc.

Scrree fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2017 around 06:19

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...


Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: - | Cards: 0 | Location: The Labyrinth

An armored finger tapped against a torn, disfigured piece of Alchemically Enchanced Brass plate, resulting in a loud staccato, a sound that High Gear allowed to to hang in the air for a while, before finally speaking. "This just proves me right, you know? See, this is what happens when you let the unqualified in charge. You end up with unprocessed Unobtainium just straight up thrown into your fuel feed", High Gear paused for a moment to crush the bit of plate with his armored hands, before chucking it over his shoulder, "Like, that is such an obvious thing, isn't it? You don't let the biologist do your engineering, to avoid exactly this sort of scenario from happening. Everybody can plainly see how dumb that is. So why is it, then, that the most important single aspects of civilization, that is, leadership and societal planning, are left up for grabs for whatever idiot charlatan that happens to woo the largest number of the unwashed masses, without any thought given to their actual ability? Why? How does it suddenly make sense to abandon all that good sense we use for literally every other thing when it comes to these important bits? Well, I happen to have an answer for that", High Gear practically whirled around, pointing directly at METALLICA (currently chained), with one of his fingers, "It doesn't make sense. Most people are just morons. Simple as that. Democracy is a failure by design, and these people just refuse to accept that, they refuse to take the logic they otherwise follow to its conclusion here because they're addicted to the notion of having", High Gear made quotation marks in the air, "'a say'. The fools. They wouldn't demand a say in their brain surgery. Or on the design of their airplane. But suddenly when it comes to running a society, a very complex machine in itself, they think themselves qualified? A stupid double standard without any logical grounding." High Gear shook his head, "No no. Democracy leads to nothing but inefficiency and failure, since by its nature its rule by the lowest common denominator. I'll make them see, and they'll thank me in time. You'll thank me in time."

"Alas, until my rule is absolute, I cannot risk you ruining my plans. Thus, measures have to be taken to ensure your obedience, out of pragmatic necessity", and with these words, High Gear procured a number of magitechnical implements, that he moved ominously towards METALLICA, "Worry not though. I'll have to put you to sleep for a bit, but you'll wake up with a far grander purpose than what you currently have..."

__________________________________

Deep in the Labyrinth, in a room engulfed in darkness, a number of faces were illuminated by the glow of a television. Faces currently stuffing a fairly competently made, if somewhat boring pasta dish into their maws.

"Woah man is that High G up there?"

"Kinda difficult to mistake that face for anyone else Chad."

"Yeah yeah don't get all smart-rear end on me dude. Like I've heard him mention that airship but didn't quite know it was that huge you know", Chad chewed his food in thought as the news feed focused on High Gear's hologram caught on the HPAT's security cameras, "Pretty full of himself though, huh?"

"Eh it's not as if we didn't get to some poo poo when we were, like, what is he, high school age?"

"I mean sure, I suppose that's fair enough bro, but like, this is some supervillainy level crap right here. A different sorta ballpark you know what I'm saying."

"Fair, but like, I'm sure he'll grow out of it at some point. Like he's not so bad, he lets us stay here after all don't he? Speaking of, does anyone, like have any sprites on contract? He's probs going to come knocking for them at some point. Jeremy?

"Nah man I had to work on my thesis."

"Fair enough dude. Chad?"

"Nah, like I meant to but then I got distracted. You know how it goes", Chad scratched his cheek idly, "Maybe we could give him something other than spirits for the time being? Don't we have like, mac and cheese leftovers in the fridge? Might as well throw those his way to keep him all happy and such."

"It's my mom's recipe!"

"Yeah it's pretty great. And like, you seen what he eats dude? He'll probably be all over the chance to get actual food for once."

"...Prooobably won't work for super long though, and I really like these digs we have here, so we really kinda should look into actually binding something so that he doesn't kick us out you know."

"Eh. Reasonable enough I suppose."

quote:

Theantero: High Gear! Are you INFAMOUS!?
Theantero: !r 2d6+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, 8+3 = 11

One Infamy get, also +1 Forward for the next relevant thing.

Clearing Angry as per what happened last scene.

For Assets, I take METALLICA (only slightly brainwashed), and also spend one Infamy to take the Seven Signet Society since they choose to start to only mostly bum instead of doing nothing but.

Rest of the Asset purchases and the caper move itself will be done in a later post.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2017 around 15:34

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Trouble +1 | Superior +0 | Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None | Location: Everywhere and nowhere all at the same time.

Tock watched the ship go boom. It was strangling satisfying. He turned on his heel, and started his walk back to the city. Things had worked out better then he'd expected. The Meat shields had given him an opportunity to put a bloodhound on BlackStaff. It was BlackStaff's own fault really, he of all people should know that making deals with spirits can be dangerous. Especially when you don't ban them from getting other people involved in your poo poo.

- - -

5:17 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Right. Tock Infamy roll.
5:18 PM !r 2d6+3
5:18 PM K<Krysmbot> ArashiOfOrdo3, 7+3 = 10

+1 Infamy
+1 Forward

- - -

The days that followed were busy. Tock listened to the whispering of the rocks, the murmuring of the roots, the babbling of the water. He heard tell of Kite's investigations. Of the seventeen spectres that BlackStaff had set to be unleashed at his command. They would have infested the power plants. Spreading their dark power, consuming the energy, plunging both the city into darkness, and opening a door to the dealthless realms beyond the vale. Such an act would have awoken one of the slumbering elements of the city. The spiritual manifestation of one of the districts. With that in his command, BlackStaff could have control over the very cobblestones themselves. Hard to fight a man, when the city itself is rising against you.

For now the Elements slumbered still. But BlackStaff would make another move soon. After all, with their power he could do anything. As long as he was within the district he controlled he'd be unstoppable.

Probably a good thing he'd been stopped then. Oh, he'd be furious when he returned.

Speaking of furious things.

High Gear. Tock had so far ignored the man-child with delusions of grandeur. But the idiot was actually starting to get on his nerves. As much as Tock would enjoy the Table ripping him to pieces, it would remove one of his meat shields. Which was a pretty big ask. Someone needed to bring him back down to earth. Beat him at his own game. Make it look like it had all happened organically, like he was outdone, outmatched, outwitted. Oh, it probably wouldn't make the slightest difference, but at least it would be enjoyable to watch. It would be easy enough to accomplish too. Separate him from all of his tech.

But he was getting ahead of himself.

For now he had a wild bull to try and tame. After all, she was so valiant in her defence of him. Clearly she still cared about him. She was the only person on the team that he felt reservations about sacrificing. So Tock made his way to her chambers. Plus, it had been a while since he'd given Gertie a belly rub. She'd always enjoyed that. Tock made his way inside, the animals calming in his presence. He reached a hand out and patted the pre-historic preditor fondly.

"Long time no see, Gertie. Still as glorious as ever." He tickled the beast under her chin, just like he used to. "A pity more of your kind didn't survive. I remember those old glory days. A blessed time. Maybe with the way things are going, we will experience them again."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -23


Well, that was enough.

Putting the spent shells in her portable lab, Percy closed the case, leaning on the it as she stared out the window. It was kind of pretty in the light of the phosphorescent mushrooms, but marred with her bruised reflection. Given she was on the outside of the Juggernaut when it went off, she was lucky enough to have gotten into the hatch midflight... but even so. She hadn't taken long to think about things afterward, but she didn't have long left, and she wasn't spending it around him. Even staying here was some nonsense he could lord over her. Walking over, she squinted as she took on the weight of a duffel bag of guns along with the lab. She'll have to find a vehicle and make some skid marks, nab some drinks, and...

... and then what? She didn't have anything from this job yet. Well, just meant she had to steal, no big But that would mean actually talking to High Gear on her way out. No, she didn't need to risk any second thoughts, or having to wait for him to build something for her to flip. Just get out and worry about the next scheme on her own. And so, she starts the climb from fifty stories down, making her way upwards, through staircases, hallways, an blessed elevator for six floors, and even a ladder.

A ladder. Another thing to be irritated with him over. Did she want a clean break? Ea and Tock deserved thanks for making lemonade out of lemons. Ursula might be her only hope. Bully would be... well, Percy wasn't blind to how she felt. She paused in the café, catching her breath. She flipped out her note to leave, opening it to read the words she's written, and then folded it back up. Tapping against her cheek, she stood up. Only 23 more floors to go, and she literally didn't have time for regrets.

I'll take Curses! for the Want, and roll 12 for the end of Caper, so that'll add 1 Infamy and +1 Forward, reflected above. Also, if anybody wants to bump into Percy before she hits the surface, feel free, I'm not OOCly planning on having her abscond forever. But we're all young adults here, so a properly immature response seems appro.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid



11, +1 Infamy and forward
10. Shifting labels, they interfere next Caper

And I was trying to distance myself from the danger during that operation. Playing support did me no favors. I must be more proactive and wisely use my time while I still have it. I'm still shaking from it. This will become tedious if it lingers. I'm starting to ache from so much movement. Exercising my muscles is the sort of tedious band aid Jess- Margravine Simmons would suggest. Holistic nonsense. Though I will partake in some holistic medicine, laughter is the most cited but it has its cousins. I am feeling rather indulgent after emotionally draining experience.

Trying to find someone in this mad house is out of the question. So I will have to hope Percy has her comms device on her. I just make the call and

Some sort of primal terror strikes when the screen lights up with her face. I manage to resist the impulse to shut it off right then. "H-hello Percy." My eyes slide away from hers off into a corner. "I was thinking. S-since we have some free time. Maybe we could um." My smile wavers as I oscillate between joy and panic. "Runsometests." I feel a bead of sweat as I spit it out. "I-I installed all my lab equipment. I think this floors um, aesthetic works with it. I h-hope you'll like it." I wring my hand around my other's wrist. "S-so does that sound good?"

The bright colors and stuffed animals of the rooms here are a nice contrast to my equipment I think. It feels much less like a dissection table with the sunflower lamp and the kitty pillow. I really like the kitty pillow. There is six of them on my bed, in each color.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -23


"Hey, wait, the lab?" That's- "That's a hundred floors down!?", exclaims Percy. Her eyes roll up as she frowns, looking to the ceiling for a moment. This whole complex felt like a big game of snakes 'n ladders. She takes a deep breath, and then faces the phone, a little pale. "Sorry, Ursula. You caught me in the middle of shenanigans. Um." She bites her lip, and then looks off to the side. "Can it wait?", she asks with a note of uncertainty. Odd question, from the girl without much time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid


"Ah." I try not to look too crushed. There are always bags under my eyes so I don't think it's too obvious. "Is there something you need help with? O-or you don't have to come all the way down here. I w-was experimenting with a faster method of travel through this mess as well. I-if you're okay with a prototype..." I stare at my lap as I make the offer. After letting that hang for too long I try to break the awkward silence. "Well when you're free we can bond over a shared near death experience." I let out a pathetic laugh. Ugh, I'm trying too hard. There is not anyone else I would prefer the company of however. My next conversation with Ea'lyiz is not something I'm looking forward to. And wild bull... well we share one interest. Ugh. I hope what Percy wants to do isn't too important.

Provoke, 12. Hang out with Ursula to add plan to the pool, or ditch her for a condition. Cold and Cruel: Give each other a condition. Mark Insecure

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -23


"A prototype?... well, who wants to live forever? Heh." Percy smirks, her shoulders falling. "Well, I guess I can talk to you about it. What's the plan, then? Oh, one sec." Her courage to abandon everyone falters in the face of her own mortality... but maybe she should tell Ursula? Maybe? She can't exactly carry her luggage down with her, though, and so she goes to the pantry - all the quick food is in the cupboards, so hopefully nobody's poking around the flour or sugar or soy sauce. She puts her luggage in there, and then steps back to the communicator, picking it up again.

"Is it a really long slide? I was thinking we could have a epic and probably lethal slide somewhere around here."

Taking the provoke to mark Curses! and Insecure (both marked above) and to add that Plan to the pool. Giving Ursula Insecure too. Let's be sympathetic!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2017 around 19:40

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid Insecure


She agreed! Perfect. Oh my... I hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. Well I should follow Percy's example and barrel forward heedlessly. I'm sure she brooks no cowardice. "A slide? W-well no. But that can be added. I wanted something that goes both ways at first. It's a little snug, but it is an emergency transport. It is what appears to be a support column in the center of each floor. Just press your hand on it so it can detect your biometrics. Then use the slider to select a floor. One twenty one, if you can't keep track. There are so many after all."

I have myself pushed to the elevator post haste. Despite all the droids and smiling faces in the decor this place can feel so empty.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -23


Walking up to where she was directed for the panel, Percy goes to put her hand on it, and then stops, noticing her glove. She starts to unbuckle her glove, and then blinks, looking at her hand, and says, "Let's not.", taking some steps away. "Oh, why am I worrying about-" Taking off the glove quickly, she palms the sensor, stepping in. "- my fingerprints are all over that café." She tucks her jacket on and the takes her 'tails over her shoulder, as to not get them caught in a sliding door. "Also, dying before I end up in front of a magistrate is part of the plan."

She squints with the speed of the transport, and then adds, "Probably got a self-destruct device somewhere in this place.", as the door opens. "Oh, hey. I was just talking to me, nevermind that.", she says with a grin as she points to herself.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid Insecure


Ah! She's here! It feels like the air's been sucked out of my chest when the door slides open. I just need to regulate my breathing. Yes. Just remain calm and don't over think what i say. "Thanks for coming down." Oh what if she doesn't like the aesthetic of the floor? It could go either way with Percy. I'm sure she likes cute things but might have her limits. "I've been excited to continue my research into your condition. But I um... was afraid of imposing too much." I motion for Percy to follow me. "I can show you all the equipment I have available. Though what would be most helpful would be ah erm... a full body scan. Wh-whatever you're comfortable with, of course. And we don't have to do tests. I like to think our relationship is built upon more than quid pro quo." I look away with a nervous smile.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -23


"Imposing?I thought you looking into this was the whole deal with this old thing of ours.", Percy says, looking around as she walks in, hands in her jacket pockets. "Also, might want to think about the idea of having all of our biometrics on file, I don't really mind, but the others..." Might have a future? It seems almost too silly to say. "... might mind having everything on record for the authorities." She looks around as if appraising the room, or at least the equipment. "Full body scan, though? Scanning with what?" She looks over her shoulder to Ursula, furrowing her brow slightly, "I thought I came down here for tests? What's going on?" She seems a little confused, picking up a stuffed elephant and peering at it as if it might provide answers.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid Insecure


"That's ridiculous. Anyone who has been to a doctor should have their entire medical history up until that point in on record. Or we'd still be using something as archaic as social security numbers."
I wince a bit when she starts questioning. "Well with this, for starters." I run my hand over a large machine that is more or less a bed that feeds into a tube. "It detects the slightest magic resonance in an object down to the finest detail. For all intents and purposes it maps the soul. With it I will set the foundation of the tests. To determine if your condition has any physical attributes or is entirely magical. And to track any responses to treatment." I poke my index fingers together. "I had mostly been practicing in the realm of theory. Trying to arm myself with knowledge before entering a stage where something could go wrong."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -23


"What do you think?", Percy asks the stuffed animal. "Oh, yeah, you're right, Señor Trunksalot." She puts it down for a moment, turning around as she squashes its head for a moment, leaning on the animal roughly. "He tooted that I made a mistake in not pushing your plan. Even after I got you-know-who's plan to the table, he was as thankful as a scorpion getting a river ride. And I still don't even know how we're supposed to get a payout." She sits down on the instrument's bed. "So..." She rubs her cheek. "... anyway. I just thought I should, you know." She shrugs lightly, taking her pistol out of her jacket, checks the chamber and the safety, and puts it down on the table before taking her jacket off. "Anyway, let's test."

Trying to Pierce Ursula's Mask for a 9 (2d6 + 2), so I'll ask: What do you intend to do?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid Insecure


"Great." I clap in excitement. "I can't wait. But a machine this sensitive will pick up any objects inside. So..." I start to flush. "I-I'll need t-to ask you to um..." I grip my knees to stop my hands from shaking. "Please disrobe- onlyforthetestofcourseitisallforstrictlyacademicreasons!" I gasp for air after I spit my panicked explanation out in one breath. I look like such a wreck, it is like she asked me that instead.

Ursula's academic interest in this endeavor is in the backseat. She however does intend to follow through on the tests to their fullest, if only to try to draw attention from any other reasons she might be enjoying this

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -121


Percy stares for a moment, but then relents after a moment with a sigh. “Sec.” She then mutters for a moment, gesturing to eight points in front of her, leaving slight mote of light behind before a flare of magic criss-crosses for a moment, creating a blurred hexagon before she pushes outward on it, making it blossom out convex from Ursula’s perspective. Taavali’s Parapluie is usually the sort of cantrip one would use to keep rain off one’s head, but when rotated 90 degrees it can act as an imperfect changing screen, making her form blurred and indistinct. It is, at best, a tease. Undressing, she pokes her head over the obfuscation. "Okay, ready."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid Insecure


"O-okay. I'll need you to lay on the bed." I'm staring at that magic barrier like I can tear it down by sheer force of will. I never had any luck with magic. Every came out twisted and off. Magic is much better shackled to the reliability of machines. I honestly forgot Percy was an accomplished caster, given her own preference for equipment. "Oh! I can turn around if you need." I awkwardly shift in the chair, trying to turn it. Okay that's not working. I just my hand over my eyes. "Th-there. You know, this is the first time I used this machine. It's a proven design, but I never had need for the one at the institute. And well I don't trust the droids to work the thing on myself." Keeping the conversation up is distracting myself from getting too distracted by my imagination. I almost think it's worse that I was left to imagine. It certainly feels like I haven't actually been taking in air since the clothes hit the ground under the hexagon. Just a vacuum, whirling around it panic guilt and immeasurable excitement.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak -1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +3 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses!:
2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Labyrinth, Floor -121


Percy lays down, putting her hands behind her head, quiet. This was weird and uncomfortable for both of them and she knew it was, but... at the same time, she wasn't left with a lot of choices. At least she knew enough casting to buy at least a hint of privacy. She was surprisingly good with lousy spells. "What do you think of that train pile-up?", she says vaguely. "Things got way too honest out there." Keeping Ursula talking might help keep her focused. Seemed rude to just let her stew in silence. Her nudity was at least covered, but it didn't make her feel any less vulnerable. But she was used to playing it cool, a second curtain she was putting up.

Ursula and Bully's nervousness around her... what was she going to actually do about it? She'd dodged anything serious, but this was pushing it. Feels cruel to let somebody get too close, with her condition. And it could break up the team- wait. She'd stopped caring about that! She'd scripted it out and everything. Frowning, she scratches her head. Well, may as well see what Ursula comes up before she brains her next move too hard.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Freak +1 Danger -1 Trouble -1 Superior +2 Menace +2
Curses! 1/5 Infamy 2 Conditions: Afraid Insecure


After the clicking sound of the bed fully in place in the sensor tube I take the hand off my eyes. We'll um, ease into this. Yes. I don't want to make this too weird and squander further opportunities. Yes, I must be strategic. It is natural to be governed by passions when it comes to... well the passions. But that is why so many relationships fail. If people just thought, well there would be a whole lot less rom coms for one.

"Honest is a way to put it." The scan begins. A gentle blue light passes over Percy. Her outline appears on the screen. Heh heh... Oh jeez. Okay focus. "If we had the element of surprise we could have likely avoided most of that. Thinking about it High Gear does seem honest to a fault, he was rather upset at your minor subterfuge. That makes both him and Tock reliable, in opposite directions. Always wary of one, expect plenty of warning with the other. The other two seem on a hair trigger though. As you know, I do not rage but seethe." Oh I like that word. Everyone has one word that is theirs. It is not all encompassing of course but down to the word they are that word. The slow burn spreads farther than any explosion. And a nurtured rancor will focus your efforts straight to the jugular. "What about yourself? Are you one to hold a grudge?"

Hmm. Her body is impeccable. And I don't mean erm, ahem... She is the pinnacle of health. That makes interacting with the curse harder. An expected complication. There is no brand upon her... I think. She would have mentioned one. Surely. I don't need to check. ...No, no, I shouldn't check.

Okay next is aura, then mana, then integrity (where I expect the damage), then resonance, and finally inner flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak +2 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace +0
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Paranoid | Hold: Far From Home (1) | Location: - The Labyrinth

Could these HUMANS do ANYTHING RIGHT? The answer was, of course, no. No, they really, really couldn’t. Not only was Ursula completely insufferable, but she was even more incompetent than Ea had first believed. Well, lesson learned. Never trust one of the shackled inventor’s plans or machinations, when she couldn’t even handle a basic matter like this that fell entirely in her skillset. Or lack of skillset would perhaps be more accurate, after this miserable display. Head still sore from impacting the ceiling, Ea shot no end of dirty, multi-eyed looks towards Ursula on the return to the Labyrinth. There would be retribution... eventually. For now, Ea’s interest lied in heading back to their room and simply enjoying some time spent away from the rest of these imbeciles. At least the alien could take comfort in actually accomplishing what they all came here to do, in full view of all the others. That, at least, was satisfying. Perhaps if they were truly foolish, the Knights would show themselves and attempt to reclaim the unobtanium. Then the alien could even show those so called heroes a thing or two for an even sweeter finale.

quote:

[02:44] <TheFireMagi> Ea'lyiz makes an End of Caper Infamy Roll!
[02:44] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+3
[02:44] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 5+3 = 8
Choosing a Hero wants payback.

---
Eventually, the group finally made their return to the Labyrinth and- oh, right. The Junkers. Ea supposed that something should be done about them. While the alien held no particular affection for the group, they nevertheless felt a certain sense of… responsibility? Was that the right word? After breaking their minds, the group had become so pathetic after all, utterly reliant on Ea’s presence (As all children of Earth should be). It made the alien want to… not protect them, really, but use them like a finely honed tool. Besides, there were plenty of empty rooms available on the 42nd Floor. If they had to be filled with something, might as well be with loyal and devoted servants, right? And so, the order was sent on the flight back to base.

[Join me.]
------

And so they came, in the fairly sizable horde that they were. Not just by themselves, however. There was something else with them, something that was more valuable than all of their lives put together: a perfectly shaped black cube. That was what it looked on the surface level, at least. In reality, it was an object used by the Hymfazther to compact and transport tools of a greater or grander nature. Besides the convenience of being able to carry around anything in one’s back pocket, its generic and rather bland form was most handy in concealing what actual, potent tool was contained inside. To say that this was a magnificent find would be the understatement of all understatements. Unlocking and unleashing whatever might lie within this black box would be very, very important.

quote:

[02:44] <TheFireMagi> Ea'lyiz is Far From Home!
[02:44] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+2
[02:44] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 7+2 = 9
Holding 1.

Of course, while the tool itself was of great interest to Ea, what interested them even more was where and how they had found such a thing. The alien had been searching for quite some time for any signs from Zuda’hym, after all, and so for it a clue to suddenly show up like this was… unexpected. But a quick scan of the Junkers’ minds revealed that they had simply found it present on the doorstep of the Lower Garden Apartment Complex one day, as if it was left there intentionally. Had someone from the homeworld sent this intentionally there, or…? It was impossible to determine from their fragmented memories, which left Ea somewhat uncertain as to what could be inside this black box. Even so, they were determined to open it. If it was a trap, they would deal with it. And if it was an actual sign, then…

That was several days ago. Severals day that had passed, and Ea still hadn’t unveiled whatever it was that laid within the black box. It could be a useful tool, or… how vexing it was. Truly. It would be such a simple matter to open it, yet that seed of doubt persistently refused to be crushed. It was not the fear of harm itself from the black box being a trap that held Ea back, of course. But rather, it was the fear that if it was a trap, then there was no message from the homeworld. That it was no sign from Zuda’hym at all. And so, the alien hesitated. And the more Ea hesitated, the more frustrated they became with themselves. Their temper boiled, stewed, and began to overflow-

[Man of metal, bring yourself at once to this one’s floor, for this one demands another playing of Caliburn X-2! In previous, you may have been allowed the win, but now this one shall show you what this one is truly capable of!]

-until eventually some outlet was needed, and what better way was there than to put High Gear in his place? He would accept the challenge, of course, Ea had no doubt. There was no question of that in the alien’s mind. He would show himself, they would play, and Ea would demolish him. Perhaps then this sense of annoyance with both the others and Ea themself would disappear.

OOC: Leaving the Apartment Base asset as allowed. Haven’t decided what to replace it with quite yet, was going to choose the anti-psy rocks but High Gear is likely to take those as discussed in IRC. Will try and decide on something for next post.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply