Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is MSU going to lose again this year because they got a highly ranked recruit
Can Tom Izzo win without a bunch of grizzled undersized seniors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is MSU going to lose again this year because they got a highly ranked recruit
Can Tom Izzo win without a bunch of grizzled undersized seniors?

Last year was the most undersized you can possibly be so I say yes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol my alma mater is playing Ohio State in preseason. Go Scots binch

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern is playing its basketball games at a terrible, gigantic monster truck arena next season while the idiots in charge are ruining my precious rundown garbage arena because the monocled northwestern alumni don't want to sit on bleachers that seem like they will at any moment be folded up so we can all be scolded by a vice principal and i am very upset about this, i hope at least the renovated arena still makes spectators hug the wall because the only way for the visiting team to enter the arena from the locker room is literally by walking through the hotdog line.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State has to appeal the NCAA for Braxton Beverly's eligibility because he enrolled in summer school at OSU before Matta got the boot, which means the NCAA might decide to treat him as a transfer. Obviously, since that would be totally asinine, it's probably what will happen, and I expect Beverly will have to sit out a year; not like State's going to be much good with or without him this go-round.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/...ing-aminu-deacs

DEACS. BITCH.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jud Heathcote has passed

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jud Heathcote has passed

RIP Jud, you were a great coach and by all accounts a great person as well.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue brings home silver from the World University games after losing to Lithuania this morning. Lithuania murdered them on the offensive glass and Purdue's 3 point shooting finally cooled off. They were close to or above 50% in the previous 7 games but was under 30% today.

Still, I have high hopes for this team. They miss Swanigan in a big way, but the offense is a lot faster without him. Purdue's going to be able to run a lot of lineups with 4 3 point shooters, sometimes 5. They need to improve in a big way on defense, especially on the perimeter. It killed them last year and doesn't look much better this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh poo poo, Rollie Massimino died. Owner of the most bizarrely effective halftime speech ever.

Rollie posted:

“Do you think I want to be doing this?” Massimino erupted. “Do you think I want to be screaming at you? Do you bleepers really think I want to go to the Final Four? Listen, there’s much more to life than that.

“Do you know what I’d really rather be doing now than anything? Than being here in this room? I’ll tell you. I’d rather be at home, sitting behind a big, steaming, heaping plate of spags (spaghetti). Yeah, that’s right! Macaroni! Linguini with clam sauce! I’d rather be doing that than losing this drat game! Now get out there and do what got you here in the first place!”

This somehow worked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Via highlights of meaningless European summer basketball, Arizona looks pretty great. Point guard depth looks a little lacking, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou secured a 2018 commitment from former Ohio State commit Torrence Watson. That's nice on its own, but he's a St. Louis kid and it seems like Cuonzo Martin is finally doing what most Mizzou coaches have been unable to do: Pull in St. Louis recruits.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Has anyone written a piece about how recruiting works, what recruiters actually say and do? I would certainly like to read that if it exists

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
https://twitter.com/TheRunninRebels/status/910673931152924672

UNLV has new uniforms and much like the new logo that was axed, they're not good

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/GTemp14/status/911428157789671424

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Has anyone written a piece about how recruiting works, what recruiters actually say and do? I would certainly like to read that if it exists

I kinda doubt it since any truthful documentary would be evidence against the school

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EvanTH posted:

I kinda doubt it since any truthful documentary would be evidence against the school

Tarkanian used to somewhat regularly go off on rants about golden era UCLA after he got in trouble for recruiting and I remember it being highly entertaining at least. Don't know how actually informative it was.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dejan Bimble posted:

:homebrew:

Thats it

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Didn't one of the sports sites do an article on bagmen a couple of years back?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Didn't one of the sports sites do an article on bagmen a couple of years back?
Steven Godfrey at SB Nation did one on football bagmen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Here's a link to that in case Dejan would find it interesting.

I didn't read it again but aside from a few culture changes I'd imagine it'd mostly hold true for big time basketball recruiting.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

[quote="“Grittybeard”" post="“476691735”"]
Here’s a link to that in case Dejan would find it interesting.

I didn’t read it again but aside from a few culture changes I’d imagine it’d mostly hold true for big time basketball recruiting.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:stare:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/912667918944567297

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Chuck Person at Auburn and Lamont Evans at OK State among the people charged

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
uhhhh....:stare:
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/912671924307791872

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea that there was a national underground assistant coach corruption ring but welp

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Adun posted:

Chuck Person at Auburn and Lamont Evans at OK State among the people charged

Also Arizona and USC.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
holy moley
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/912671661379420160

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Happened under Underwood at OSU. Welp.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I had no idea that there was a national underground assistant coach corruption ring but welp

I'm assuming this has to do with AAU stuff and paying off high school coaches for recruits.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm assuming this has to do with AAU stuff and paying off high school coaches for recruits.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/912677151685726208

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that would make the most sense. I can't think of many (any?) other situations where it'd be a whole bunch of assistant coaches getting busted in completely different leagues across the country.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is gonna be fun
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/912677190780768257

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Reading through some of the details here

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download

Can't seem to copy any of the good poo poo though

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A brief reminder that this isn't the NCAA, where boosters will take care of you if you fall on the head coach's sword and eat the sanctions.

If facing actual jail time, these guys are all going to roll over.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GobiasIndustries posted:

I mean, it's college sports.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The Lamont Evans accusations relate to shady financial advisors bribing coaches for access to players to pitch them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fans of Adidas schools, commence to making GBS threads.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm shocked--SHOCKED--to find gambling corruption is going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/912680715967451138

• Locked thread