Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/922859645965701121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I mean I'll give him this much credit. He was refusing to play Wichita State long before they mattered.

In Self's perfect world KU is the only program in the region that matters. If KU somehow got into the Big 10 and K State didn't he'd drop them like a hot rock too. If he could get into the Big 10 on some weird clause that KU never had to play Nebraska of all unimportant teams he would go for it. It's an understandable but cutthroat approach.

Or he could recognize that he's coaching at loving Kansas, isn't actually competiting with Wichita for recruits in any meaningful way, and stop being such a wuss.

I am mostly trying to trigger kimo with these posts ssshhh

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KU would be forced to play MU by law if they were in the same state like UK and UL. UK wouldn't play Louisville either if they weren't forced to because it makes sense to do what is in the best interest of your program for recruiting and for footprint for out of conference games. There are only so many of them.

Personally I think we should play them because its fun but I don't really hold grudges. MU fans will say it's because Self is a chicken but that's really because there's no other argument that works. It definitely benefits MU to play Kansas and why should Kansas do them a favor at their own expense? Kindness?

If anyone outside of KC is confused by this I don't blame you. You kind of have to be from KC to understand the constant game of thrones going on between KU, MU and K-State.

Wichita State doesn't loving matter. gently caress those guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

KU would be forced to play MU by law if they were in the same state like UK and UL. UK wouldn't play Louisville either if they weren't forced to because it makes sense to do what is in the best interest of your program for recruiting and for footprint for out of conference games. There are only so many of them.

Personally I think we should play them because its fun but I don't really hold grudges. MU fans will say it's because Self is a chicken but that's really because there's no other argument that works. It definitely benefits MU to play Kansas and why should Kansas do them a favor at their own expense? Kindness?

If anyone outside of KC is confused by this I don't blame you. You kind of have to be from KC to understand the constant game of thrones going on between KU, MU and K-State.

As is usually the case when people on the internet say this, I don't think there is actually a literal law requiring UK and UL to play every year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Really? I learned something new. They talk about it a lot but maybe it's an old wives tale type of thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

It definitely benefits MU to play Kansas and why should Kansas do them a favor at their own expense? Kindness?

So we pretty much agree?

I'm not actually attacking Kansas or Self (well, he is cowardly, but he has his reasons), just saying that Self has no interest at all in regional rivalries and would kill all of them if he had the ability to do so.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Bill would mandate rivalry games between Kentucky and Louisville
Herald-Leader Staff Report

A Louisville lawmaker has filed legislation that would require the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville to play each other in football and men's basketball each year.

The proposal, filed Tuesday by state Sen. Tim Shaughnessy, deals mostly with the responsibilities of university governing boards and tracking student progress. But the last page of the four-page bill would require the two schools to face each other on the football field and basketball court annually.

The proposal, which now goes to the Senate Education Committee, says that national attention brought by the rivalry benefits the state and the universities, which get the opportunity to "inform the nation of their institutional contributions to the economic and social well-being of the Commonwealth and nation."

Also, "the thousands of Kentuckians who support the two public research universities and follow their respective athletic endeavors benefit from the energy, excitement, camaraderie, goodwill, and sportsmanship that the rivalry engenders," the bill declares.

Did this not go through?

Also a bill was introduced to force Texas and aTm to play each other. I wonder if that went through.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

kiimo posted:

Did this not go through?

Also a bill was introduced to force Texas and aTm to play each other. I wonder if that went through.

Nope, doesn't appear anywhere in Kentucky's laws. Couldn't find one for Texas either, though their laws are a lot harder to search so I might have missed it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

kiimo posted:

Kansas and Mizzou is like the only rivalry that isn't actually played.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doesn't Calipari refuse to play Indiana?

Or did that change when Clappy was fired

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

kiimo posted:

Missouri and Illinois manage to play a goddamn game every year and St. Louis is a much better recruiting area than KC. SLU, however, does refuse to play teams in the area (or is it Mizzou that doesn't want to play SLU?)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

(or is it Mizzou that doesn't want to play SLU?)

Supposedly it's SLU for some reason I've never understood? Like, it'd make a lot more sense in a rational world for Missouri not to want to play those games.

Not that a lot of Missouri coaches really wanted to play that game, it's just a weird thing.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Peanut President posted:

Kansas and Mizzou is like the only rivalry that isn't actually played.

I'm in SW Ohio and local rivalries NEVER play each other around here.

Dayton won't play Wright State
Xavier won't play Dayton since they are no longer in the same conference
Ohio State wouldn't ever play Cincinnati... I think they are playing this year cause OSU got a new coach.

Xavier-UC is always great, every year. And there could be and should be alot more games like that around here, but the perceived "big school" view it as a no win situation.

There has been some local radio talk about having an "Ohio Cup" type tourney to begin the year. Sounds great, would be awesome and it will never happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Did this not go through?

There have been like house resolutions and stuff calling for them to play every year but that doesn't actually have the force of law

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

He refuses to play at Assembly Hall

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I'm in SW Ohio and local rivalries NEVER play each other around here.

Dayton won't play Wright State
Xavier won't play Dayton since they are no longer in the same conference
Ohio State wouldn't ever play Cincinnati... I think they are playing this year cause OSU got a new coach.

Xavier-UC is always great, every year. And there could be and should be alot more games like that around here, but the perceived "big school" view it as a no win situation.

There has been some local radio talk about having an "Ohio Cup" type tourney to begin the year. Sounds great, would be awesome and it will never happen.

Right but X and Cincy are the local power rivals. No offense or anything but Wright & Dayton aren't exactly major schools.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 24, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

There have been like house resolutions and stuff calling for them to play every year but that doesn't actually have the force of law

I wouldn't be surprised if the state's board of regents (if they have one) used these resolutions when approving schedules, though.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kiimo posted:

No home and home but will at neutral court.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

Or he could recognize that he's coaching at loving Kansas, isn't actually competiting with Wichita for recruits in any meaningful way, and stop being such a wuss.

I am mostly trying to trigger kimo with these posts ssshhh

Counterpoint: Gregg Marshall sucks and deserves nothing.

Note that I'm not saying Bill Self actually deserves things, merely asserting that Marshall certainly doesn't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the state's board of regents (if they have one) used these resolutions when approving schedules, though.

I'm sure there's some local political pressure to keep playing it and I doubt think it's in any serious danger of ending because it's way too profitable a game, I just saying it isn't actually mandated by law. For some reason "Team X is REQUIRED BY LAW to play in-state school Y" is a very common thing on fanboards even though it's almost never actually true. Iowa fans say it about the ISU game all the time too and it's not true there either (some regents or people on the legislature would probably make a stink if it ended but in theory it could end when the contract is up in 2023 or whatever it is and Iowa's AD has periodically talked about putting it on hold for a year or two to get some variety in the schedule).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zion is visiting UNC this weekend. Nike school.

Throwin people off the trail!

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I think that law to force Louisville and Kentucky to play was introduced during all the expansion talks and 9 conference games in football for the SEC, because there was some speculation the series would drop to keep lower tier teams on the schedule. Nothing came of it though.

There are supposedly talks to restart UK-IU in Indy and Louisville, especially now that UL has been forced to loosen their iron grip on the YUM Center. And Calipari is friends with the Millers. But he still won't do home and home. Part of it is the loss in 2011, part of it is he likes to play neutral site games because it better simulates the tournament environment.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I still love the story that went along with the 1982 NCAA tournament.

Kentucky and Louisville had not played since a single game in 1959 (and before then, 1951). They had only played three times since 1922.

Being before the 64-team era, some schools had first round byes. Louisville was one of them. Lo and behold, Kentucky and Louisville were to meet in the second round of the tournament. All Kentucky had to do was knock off #11 Middle Tennessee.

This was a certainty. A guarantee. Tickets for the Louisville-Kentucky meeting were being scalped for $500.

Middle Tennessee won, 50-44.

Some fans tore up their tickets. They were worthless now. Who wanted to see Louisville and MTSU?

(And for good reason as MTSU was thrashed soundly.)

Kentucky and Louisville met in the 1983 NCAAs and have met at least once nearly every season since. But that first dream matchup was flattened by a team with a dude named Pancakes Perry.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
There is some insane rumor that top 100+ ish recruit Talen Horton Tucker is committing to Illinois shortly, but that if he does, top 25-ish Ayo Dosunmu will decommit. That would be the perfect Illinois ending.

Love recruiting rumors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I'm sure there's some local political pressure to keep playing it and I doubt think it's in any serious danger of ending because it's way too profitable a game, I just saying it isn't actually mandated by law. For some reason "Team X is REQUIRED BY LAW to play in-state school Y" is a very common thing on fanboards even though it's almost never actually true. Iowa fans say it about the ISU game all the time too and it's not true there either (some regents or people on the legislature would probably make a stink if it ended but in theory it could end when the contract is up in 2023 or whatever it is and Iowa's AD has periodically talked about putting it on hold for a year or two to get some variety in the schedule).

Yeah it was definitely ASU and UA had to play NAU as a binding law in Arizona but Grey Byrne pretty quickly canceled the NAU football games once he took over (people had tried before but there was a less friendly regent system that didn't approve it). I don't think he knew that people actually like those games (at least UA fans, I can't speak for ASU fans) and brought playing them back by popular demand.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gvibes posted:

There is some insane rumor that top 100+ ish recruit Talen Horton Tucker is committing to Illinois shortly, but that if he does, top 25-ish Ayo Dosunmu will decommit. That would be the perfect Illinois ending.

Love recruiting rumors.

I guess he's look at ISU and Xavier too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess he's look at ISU and Xavier too.

What's Iowa State supposed to look like this year out of curiosity?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dogshit. Picked to come in second to last in the Big 12.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dogshit is probably harsh but a big step back from where they've been. They lost a ton of production and I don't think any former five stars have been kicked out of Marquette recently, which is a big blow to recruiting

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21154348/north-carolina-tar-heels-guard-joel-berry-breaks-hand-punching-door

lol “We like his fighting spirit and the fact he hurts himself right before the season starts.”

E: UNM is playing BYU in an exhibition game because KU and MU did one. I’m excited because BYU-UNM always been a really fun and nasty-ish rivalry, but our recent years of awful playing is making me feel cautious.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 26, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Love recruiting rumors.

Where the gently caress would Ayo go?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Where the gently caress would Ayo go?
Wake I guess, but it sounds like we just told THT not to come.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Louisville picked to finish 5th in the ACC by the media, is their talent really good enough to get by on inertia? Especially don't see them finishing ahead of UVA but I'm obviously biased there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gvibes posted:

Love recruiting rumors.

God bless Chicago AAU bullshit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Christian Williams is leaving Iowa and will most likely be replaced as the backup PG by Connor McCaffrey (Fran's son, who was a top 100 recruit and was initially going to redshirt which I was never a huge fan of). I like Williams defensively but he was way overmatched on offense and never looked like a natural PG. I suspect Connor was outplaying him in practice pretty badly, he's a much better fit for the position. Hopefully Williams finds a mid-major where he can play more off guard. He can't really shoot but he's super long and has some talent, especially if he can get out in transition.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 27, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thoguh posted:

God bless Chicago AAU bullshit.

I think Prohm has been doing a good job recruiting so far. Of course we’ll see how it pans out the next couple years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I think Prohm has been doing a good job recruiting so far. Of course we’ll see how it pans out the next couple years.

Bless he and Hoiberg for basically ignoring in state kids. Not that they need them if they can recruit well out of state, but the talent level has been on the rise lately and Iowa's been pretty much locking it down (it helps that two of the best recent local prospects are the coach's sons). Weiskamp sounds like he's going to be awesome.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Bless he and Hoiberg for basically ignoring in state kids. Not that they need them if they can recruit well out of state, but the talent level has been on the rise lately and Iowa's been pretty much locking it down (it helps that two of the best recent local prospects are the coach's sons). Weiskamp sounds like he's going to be awesome.

I really don’t pay that much attention to recruiting, but it’s hard to dedicate a scholarship to an Iowa kid when you only have like 4 to give out every year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I really don’t pay that much attention to recruiting, but it’s hard to dedicate a scholarship to an Iowa kid when you only have like 4 to give out every year.

I mean there have definitely been guys who would be worth one. Iowa's had good teams recently built heavily around in state kids and while we don't have the recent highs ISU does, there were several who would have definitely been able to contribute at ISU. Weiskamp is rated way higher than all of ISU's 18 commits too. ISU did offer him, to be fair, but I think them not recruiting the state very hard for a long time let Fran come in and build relationships with the high school and AAU coaches in the area, that have been paying off. Iowa seems to be a lot better positioned with the highly ranked in state kids right now for the most part, even the ones with ISU offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Louisville picked to finish 5th in the ACC by the media, is their talent really good enough to get by on inertia? Especially don't see them finishing ahead of UVA but I'm obviously biased there.

I feel like UVA has more talent than last season. Losing London hurts, but Jerome will play at an increased pace on offense and the team has a chance at some inside scoring this year, or at least a pick and pop five.

• Locked thread