Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

kiimo posted:

Yeah this feels like Rocky V Drago in that it is an "exhibition" with two sides ready to kill each other.

Annnnnnnnd here. we. go.

https://twitter.com/GabeDeArmond/st...sunday.62180%2F

It seems like the kind of thing Self would show up for with 8 intramural champion "walk-ons", and not give a gently caress. I wouldn't allow any players that mattered to the regular season even touch the court given the background of the rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

resident posted:

It seems like the kind of thing Self would show up for with 8 intramural champion "walk-ons", and not give a gently caress. I wouldn't allow any players that mattered to the regular season even touch the court given the background of the rivalry.

Eh, it's not like Jason Sutherland is going to come back and start running people over. There shouldn't be appreciably more chance of injury than there is in any inter-sqaud scrimmage.

Like, I agree it doesn't 'matter' in any way but if Self makes a mockery of things at an exhibition game, one he specifically set up for hurricane relief because he knows everyone in the world other than himself wants to see for real, he'll be a pretty big jackass. Well a bigger jackass than he currently is.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/921105011224076290

So their normal amount then.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Self isn't going to go in front of all those people and coast.

The only guy coasting will be Svi, all across the lane.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Bill self media diversion genius. Questions about the fbi? No, let’s talk about mizzou :smug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah bro it's a diversion so KU can avoid conversations about the FBI

:rolleyes:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Top 25-ish PG Ayo Dosumnu announcing tonight. Illinois or Wake. Not sure why he didn't get more interest from better teams.

Ayo to Illinois. Highest ranked recruit picking Illinois I can think of since maybe Dee Brown?

Edit - maybe not, forgot about Jerome Richmond

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 20, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Yeah bro it's a diversion so KU can avoid conversations about the FBI

:rolleyes:

man you are really humorless when it comes to KU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

americanzero4128 posted:

Ayo to Illinois. Highest ranked recruit picking Illinois I can think of since maybe Dee Brown?

Jereme and Meyers Leonard were both in that range, I think.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

americanzero4128 posted:

One hand, I wish he'd come to Wake. We'd have had (for now) the #1 class in the country. Other hand, I'd have been suspicious given how sure people were he'd go to Illinois, so it's just as well I guess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

man you are really humorless when it comes to KU

These are unsteady times. The second any news shows any actual information that Kansas is part of this I’m all in on flushing but until then it’s circle the wagons on all fronts.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Border War will be televised. It will cost $40.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bought.

It's...technically tax deductible?

http://showdownforrelief.com/watch/?Live=1&type=Live

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

kiimo posted:

Bought.

It's...technically tax deductible?

http://showdownforrelief.com/watch/?Live=1&type=Live

I’m watching it at a bar and the stream here is dodgy because everybody is on their phone WiFi.

Mizzou is good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's less than a half of a charity basketball game and it is meaningless as far as actually counting for anything (other than hurricane relief), but Missouri looks something like an actual NCAA D1 basketball team.

I'll take it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Game's getting away from them now but other than the obvious talent gap...er, gulf. Canyon, chasm, whatever between this year and last year for Missouri the most striking thing is how loving long this team is compared to last.

I think they've had as many offensive rebounds as they had in conference play last year. I exaggerate, but probably less than you'd think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Fun game, let's do it again once Bill Self retires or there's another horrible disaster.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mizzou has some talent, is going to be a runner-up in the SEC in a couple years.

Azubuike is so good, so glad he's back.

I hope the rebounding problems were an exhibition thing, probably were.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I hope the rebounding problems were an exhibition thing, probably were.

Like I mentioned Missouri is suddenly really big. Part of it might be exhibition/not having enough practice but that might be the tallest team you see this year.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

All I can say is Mizzou fans deserved that game after the last three years. Now Bill Self can go back to being a baby back bitch about the whole thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Missouri impressed me greatly.

That said

edit: he removed it.

"This is my 'I know yall didn't think we was gonna LOSE' face"

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 23, 2017

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/922467416923344896

Also, preseason kenpom is out (which is a bad projection system, but w/e)
Big Ten:
1 (10) - Michigan State
2 (17) - Purdue
3 (18) - Northwestern
4 (31) - Wisconsin
5 (32) - Michigan
6 (36) - Minnesota
7 (40) - Penn State
8 (41) - Maryland
9 (54) - Iowa
10 (65) - Indiana
11 (78) - Ohio State
12 (98) - Nebraska
13 (104) - Illinois
14 (125) - Rutgers

e: (203) - Indiana State

gvibes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 23, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/922467416923344896

Also, preseason kenpom is out (which is a bad projection system, but w/e)
Big Ten:
1 (10) - Michigan State
2 (17) - Purdue
3 (18) - Northwestern
4 (31) - Wisconsin
5 (32) - Michigan
6 (36) - Minnesota
7 (40) - Penn State
8 (41) - Maryland
9 (54) - Iowa
10 (65) - Indiana
11 (78) - Ohio State
12 (98) - Nebraska
13 (104) - Illinois
14 (125) - Rutgers

e: (203) - Indiana State

I think Iowa is more like 5 or 6 if everyone (especially Bohannon, because ugh our guard depth) stays healthy. Jok is a big loss but they actually played well last year without him most of the time and literally everyone else is back. Cook was a monster down the stretch last year and we'll actually have a real center this season with Garza.

I think this also probably understates just how bad OSU and Nebraska are going to be.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kenpom has ISU as 34th, and I think that's a way too high. ISU has four new starters this year, they are probably an NIT team this year.

Edit: All of the Big 12 is in the top 50, it's going to be a rough year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Other random thoughts on Missouri from a meaningless exhibition game.

I thought Jeremiah Tilmon did some really great things when he was on the floor. He is also apparently going to foul out of every game sometime in the first half this year, in a charity game where the refs weren't exactly calling everything he managed to pick up 7 fouls (special rule for the game) in 13 minutes. I mean Jesus Christ.

The Porters did a lot of shooting, and it wasn't particularly great--a combined 10-32 from the floor. They did manage to fill up the stat sheet in other ways, a ton of boards and some assists/steals/blocks. Of course they might foul out a lot too, 4 fouls for each in 23 & 21 minutes of play. The most frustrating thing I saw was when KU went on that run Missouri had no plan other than MPJr playing hero ball, which I expect to see in real games and get pissed off about. Well it'll be awesome if it works, but even though he's great most of the time it probably won't.

Jordan Barnett is probably Missouri's best returning player and if yesterday was any indication he's going to enjoy not being the guy. He won't go 5-7 from 3 very often but he's going to be so much better as a complementary piece than trying to create on his own.

For the first time since the beginning of 2012 (well 2013 probably) I'm actually excited to watch this team play.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I think NC State will be a little better than their Kenpom but probably not enough to add any extra ACC wins. Thankful for Pitt bottoming out, at least.

UVA could very well finish first in the ACC again before doing their usual tank in the tournaments. Kyle Guy should be pretty consistently good, and they're hoping Mamadi Diakite has a breakout season too. They might even lift the tempo once in a while...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zion eliminated UCLA.

I'm not saying this is the reason, but this is the temperature here today.

Also Clemson fans are real confident he's going there.

Clemson?? Okayyyyy

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

Also Clemson fans are real confident he's going there.

Clemson?? Okayyyyy

Is this like in middle school when I didn't know anything and assumed Kansas football would be as good as Kansas basketball, but reversed?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's from South Carolina. So I guess USC and Clemson fans think it's a race between them.

I mean it's like they aren't even competing against KU, UK, UNC and Duke. All of which are also recruiting Zion.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Every now and then those state schools can keep the local talent home but it’s not too often. I remember a similar situation when KCP chose UGA.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So why doesn't Self want to play Missou. It can't be because he's afraid of losing?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, Larranaga says he's Coach 3 in the released DOJ report. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...orruption-probe

If so, he needs to resign ASAP. No sense in dragging everyone through the mud with you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So why doesn't Self want to play Missou. It can't be because he's afraid of losing?

He believes it will help Missouri recruit. Same reason he won't play Wichita State.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Grittybeard posted:

He believes it will help Missouri recruit. Same reason he won't play Wichita State.

That's why? Jesus Christ. If you're worried about recruiting just go independent and play only canadian schools.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

lmao

There isnt a kid on the planet that would pick Mizzou over Kansas absent of bribes or homerism

opks22
Dec 12, 2003

Something wicked this way comes.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lmao

There isnt a kid on the planet that would pick Mizzou over Kansas absent of bribes or homerism

Both MPJ and Tilmon picked Mizzou over Kansas. I guess each can be attributed to one of your reasons: MPJ because they hired his dad and Tilmon since he is from East St Louis (IL).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

somehow northwestern is ranked pre-season what universe is this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Nah, he's definitely scared of WSU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Wichita State gone, so Missouri State is ranked 1st in the preseason MVC poll.

1 Mo State
2 UNI
3 Loyola
4 Ill State
5 SIU
6 Valpo
7 BU
8 Ind State
9 Evansville
10 Drake

The Bradley Braves return every single player from last years rotation and finished 2 games out of 3rd. Coach Wardle is in year 3 of this rebuild, so this year and next should look pretty good. Some of these guys are 3 year starters already. Bradley may not win this conference, but playing on the weekend in St. Louis, and a postseason tournament looks likely. Going to be a good year for this lovely little Mid-Major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Nah, he's definitely scared of WSU

I mean I'll give him this much credit. He was refusing to play Wichita State long before they mattered.

In Self's perfect world KU is the only program in the region that matters. If KU somehow got into the Big 10 and K State didn't he'd drop them like a hot rock too. If he could get into the Big 10 on some weird clause that KU never had to play Nebraska of all unimportant teams he would go for it. It's an understandable but cutthroat approach.

• Locked thread