Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Very excited to see Alford lose in the first round as a 3 seed with his third different team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nolan Arenado posted:

Iowa being first four out really hurts, that means a win over Indiana probably would have gotten them in. :smith:

Or if the Minnesota game hadn't been stolen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pubic works project posted:

I'm phone posting so I can't really look it up. Were there any snubs this year?

Depending on how you feel about Illinois St whooping up on an awful Valley not really. The bubble was such trash it's hard to be too fired up about anyone who missed it. But also yes Iowa was robbed imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Wake Forest / Northwestern championship game, empty-quote if you're down.

Actually gently caress northwestern and their poo poo head coach and their insufferable journalist alumni

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The guy who on the same day wrote an article about how Michigan "sold their soul" to win with Harbaugh because he ran off a recruit and an article about how amazing Northwestern basketball (with the coach being sued for doing this with an actual scholarship player) is actually owns.

harbaugh is also a huge shithead though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UVA has a good offense they just play really slow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

A Kansa/Iowa State sweet 16 match up is too perfect so it's gonna be Michigan State and Purdue who make it to that game.

Purdue is a really bad matchup for ISU. Swanigan is gonna have like 75 rebounds

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

so is illinois going to be able to get wichita state's coach?

Lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

It's about inane, niche poo poo that only people who are way into minutiae really appreciate.

To their everlasting credit SBNation is really good about just letting Bois do whatever weird poo poo he feels like doing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/842039725963763713

It's me, I am The Unknowable Source

I'm not sure I even want this. It would be very funny on a personal level but I don't want Illinois to be good. How do they feel about stocking their roster exclusively with transfers who got kicked out of somewhere else following an arrest? Maybe he can't "recruit" as well there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's super young still, would immediately be at the top of the list for basically every college job with an opening, and could command a big salary at that level, it seems pretty inevitable to me that it happens eventually. The worst scenario for me is that ISU completely tanks next year once they graduate all Hoiberg's players and cans Prohm to bring Hoiberg back

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I also do not want Pitino to leave Minnesota

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I should mention that coaching changes twitter is awful and wrong all the time, I posted it mostly because I thought a "unnamed unverified" source was a very funny concept. He's posted rumors of Fran being on the verge of leaving Iowa for at least two consecutive seasons with absolutely nothing to back it up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LOIs are garbage for the player and no 5* should ever sign one.

But also lol Mizzou

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the mean lunch lady posted:

If the Porters end up at Mizzou thoooo >>>>>>>>>>>

Mike's definitely one and done, I don't follow recruiting closely enough to know how good the others are. Dude did just lose in the first round with Jalen Brown and Ivan Rabb on his team though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Good on Mr. Porter for getting paid too. I wish the Ball dad had held out for an assistant slot with UCLA, I think we could have had an attempted coup of Alford.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Coach Tom Crean is gone.

Archie? Marshall?

ALLLLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOORRRRRRRDDDDDD

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Steve Alford was literally born to be a terrible Indiana basketball coach stop loving around and get it over with already. You've been dancing around it for like 20 years now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nolan Arenado posted:

He could bring his dad back!

Outside of Pierre Pierce, I think wasting an assistant slot on his worthless loving dad for so long might be the part of his tenure that annoyed me the most

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/greggdoyelstar/status/842754457020645376

Alford also pointedly avoided outright denying interest in the job when asked yesterday

:getin:

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

The scenes in the reggie miller 30 for 30 when all the pacers fans lose their poo poo when they draft reggie miller instead of alford is still funny

Steve Alford looking pissy because the pacers took a future hall of famer over him is the single best part of the movie. He's the most entitled shithead.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Alford wouldn't be a bad hire .

That's the spirit!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

I think Keatts is going to be good.

Me too, and if nothing else his teams are at least really fun to watch

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No he's still awful. Crispin is a bad Dakich impression down to the voice but he's less of an rear end in a top hat

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's kinda hard to know what to think of him because he's only ever been an assistant at Syracuse, other than stepping in as interim while Boeheim was suspended. He played at Syracuse and was there forever, I'm really surprised he left after being officially named the coach in waiting. I can't loving stand watching Syracuse so have fun with that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Does that mean Boeheim isn't really retiring?

Could be that, or he just realizes that replacing him is going to be nearly impossible and doesn't want to deal with it.

Hey, KJI, congrats on being a Vanderbilt football fan

https://twitter.com/rutgersmbb/status/843528761156890624

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Dakich says the deal with Alford is already done, soooo

He is really tight with Alford too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

He's dumb but I don't think he would bullshit around when it involves Alford. And no doubt he and his show would be the point man in "smoothing over" the baggage Alford has that Doyel wrote about today.

Yeah they're buddies. He publically defends Alford all the time, and has taken credit for helping get him the New Mexico job so he could get out ahead of the posse and avoid getting fired by Iowa. I don't take him seriously on most things but I would with this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If your significant other won't get thrown out of a sporting event for hollering at the refs on your behalf you've never really experienced love imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

my midmajor is a steppig stone waka waka

They should bring Anthony Grant back. Or Capel! Or wait, like, two years and get Shaka!

Hmm good luck, LSU

Probably Magic posted:

Please welcome your newest member of the Big Ten, your Evansville Purple Aces.

Still more competitive than Rutgers.

UNI would be a legit upgrade over Rutgers in every major sport

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of being in the AAU is how much research money you get and Nebraska misses mostly because the AAU largely doesn't count ag research money and, shockingly, the university of Nebraska has a big focus on agriculture. They also get dinged because the university of Nebraska med school is in Omaha instead of Lincoln so UNL can't count that. In most regards it's not a substantially worst school (particularly for undergrad) than most of the conference. Also the idea that lots of Big Ten fans have that the AAU is somehow like being in the Ivy League is really dumb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like, there are definitely guys you can bring up to justify considering an ex player with no coaching experience (Hoiberg in college, Kerr in the NBA, though both had front office experience), but that doesn't mean it's a good idea

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

Virginia? Isn't he a one-and-done?

He's the best player in the class so yes unless something goes terribly wrong. Why would that stop him from going to UVA?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

It's a tough system to pick up. Obviously talent finds a way & you get a player like that on the court if he comes to you, just that Bennett tends to prefer developing players he'll have for 3-5 years.

do you seriously think the reason they haven't signed a number one prospect yet is because they don't want them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hello Towel posted:

Larry Brown and Mike Woodson are apparently lobbying jointly for the Indiana job hahahaha

I admire this coaching search's commitment to finding coaches i hate and want to root against

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Imagine Georgetown would be turned off by Ewing's desire to get an NBA coaching job

e: Porterwatch update

https://twitter.com/coachporter8/status/845041143188340736

Also probably turned off by him being an awful coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

That's almost word for word what Alford said before he left New Mexico.

I'll believe it when Indiana hires someone else.

But if there's one thing we know about Alford, it's that he is a man of great integrity, surely he would never lie!

He might actually stay, but, seriously, how does anyone still take this sort of thing seriously? It's what basically every coach says right before they leave.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

No, not at all. But I don't know anything in college basketball that happened before maybe 2002.

I think the first Rush brother was either the top prospect or really close to it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nolan Arenado posted:

I hope Alford is very sad right now. :unsmith:

This would make it much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This is a good public service you have done