Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Getting revved up to get real mad about Duke getting a 1 seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Boo, I wanted to be able to pull for Northern Kentucky, my brother went there. Don't like they make them play Kentucky the first round.

Not surprised UK is the 2 in UNC's bracket. Don't like seeing UCLA as our 3.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Jiro posted:

East coast Florida​ State #3 in the West. Yeah sure ok.

They probably switched UCLA and Florida St to avoid the possible Arizona match up

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Duke loses, UL loses, UK wins, great day.

If only Arkansas had pulled it out. Or Cincinnati wasn't falling apart here. Could have made Kentucky's path a little easier. The South region was considered the toughest coming into the tournament and looks to be the only one that will be chalk for the Sweet 16.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Democrazy posted:

I don't know if it's particularly likely that UConn leaves, given that we don't know exactly how The American would treat its football program and UConn doesn't seem terribly committed to dumping that quite yet.

I also am, frankly, a little concerned of adding non-football members to the conference, given how it worked out for UConn last time.

Wouldn't having Navy as a football-only member negate that though? It's basically using them as a stand-in for Wichita St.

I feel like the Big East would make more sense for Wichita St. Creighton is already there so geography isn't an issue. Maybe add them and Dayton. Or UConn I guess but they'd have a lot of football logistics to work through. Don't know if the Big East is even thinking about expanding though.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Dango Bango posted:

Would the Big East take a public university though? All but Butler are Catholic- or Jesuit-affiliated on top of that.

Butler sets the precedent so I don't think that would be an issue. I think it's more just coincidence that the non-football playing schools of the old Big East just happened to be Jesuit schools.

I haven't seen or heard any rumblings of expansion for the Big East. Having 10 allows for a home-and-home round robin, and it's not like the league is lacking respect or quality teams, so there really is no reason to expand.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Probably Magic posted:

I think the tiebreaker for me is that, yeah, UK fans are the worst, but have they ever actively rooted for a team that has Grayson Allen or a Plumlee Brother on it? Like, I can't think of a single Wildcat that's been that punchable. Also, jokes about inevitable sanctions aside, Calipari actually cares a lot about his kids and having a fun style, while Coach K is just a huge prick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/mar/24/kentucky-wildcats-honest-team-college-basketball-ncaa
British newspaper calls out K on his bullshit. Cal has said many times he hates the one-and-done rule, but at least he isn't hypocritical about using it to his advantage.

Obviously I'm biased and like to see our fans in a good light, though there are some crazy ones, but I always figured we weren't that different from Kansas or North Carolina fans. Big state schools that dominate their states in terms of fandom, with men's basketball being the primary sport in football dominated lands. Certainly not worse than Duke fans.

I think the rural fans do have a tendency to see the city of Louisville in a negative light, but in reality nearly half the city is UK fans. I think it's just more a big city vs rural thing. Again though, there's bias with me being from there, where the two fan bases have to live and work with each other, which maybe tones it down for us. Hell, some of my best friends are Louisville fans. Fans from out in the state don't have that dynamic I guess so there's nothing to stop the hate.

I think there's a lot of schadenfreude with the whole stripper scandal though. All Louisville fans would talk about when UK hired Cal is how any banners he gets will eventually come down, and now their banner is in serious jeopardy. And I won't deny the Pitino hate. I don't blame him for taking the job, it was the best available when he was looking, of course he's going to jump on that. But I have an uncle who refers to him as "that loving traitor," so, yeah, there's Pitino hate.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

gvibes posted:

Looks like Orlando Antigua is coming in as an assistant. I like the hire.

Had heard some rumors he could be coming back to UK, which I was excited about. He does good things with bigs. Good pickup for you.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I don't think many Kentucky fans expected that. Gonna be loaded up front with or without Bamba. Not as deep at guard though, especially if Diallo stays in the draft. Getting that transfer from Pitt would help there, plus it would be someone who has actually played college basketball before. Right now UK has only one guy returning that played meaningful minutes last year.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Hamidou Diallo coming back to Kentucky. That probably takes UK out of the running for Cam Johnson.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
http://es.pn/2tqvmTt

NCAA issues punishment for Pitino and UofL. Pitino suspended for the first 5 ACC games this season, the program has to vacate all wins from Dec 2010 through July 2011, and 4 more years probation. That would include the 2013 title and 2012 Final Four. They have 45 days to notify the NCAA which games the ineligible players played in, which should include the title. Louisville will appeal.

It sure looks to me like the banner is in pretty serious jeopardy, but I'm honestly surprised Pitino didn't get anything more severe.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Yeah, typo, it's 2014.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The Davis team actually proves your point. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb were sophomores and Darius Miller was a senior, and they were just coming off a Final Four appearance. Davis and MKG were by far the best players on the team but they didn't do it alone. The 39-1 team is another example of how good you can be when you have some experience returning.

This debate is actually pretty common among Kentucky fans.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

Those guys were also 5 star recruits!! Terrance Jones was like Top 10 in his class.

Yeah, saying "by far" was probably a stretch. Sometimes I forget how good Terrence Jones actually was.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

It is absolutely amazing how tonedeaf he is to all of this. He is again claiming innocence and ignorance to everything that happened. If nothing else, the NCAA should use that against him for lack of institutional control. He's basically admitting to it.

The NCAA will never get to him though, at least as an active head coach. They could throw a show cause on him but he's not coaching anywhere again after this anyway. Buzz around here is there is major news coming from the university in the morning, and I'd be shocked if it is not his firing, because as stated above he obviously is not going to resign.

I think Jurich has to go too. He is already at odds with the new president, who is already trying to clean things up in the non-athletics related scandals that are plaguing UL. Jurich was furious that the president reworked the deal with the city on the YUM! Center, which lessened UL's control over and revenue from the facility. Throw in all the other dirty stuff Jurich has overseen, including hiring Petrino again after blasting his character when he left the first time, and his gross misuse of university, not just athletic department, funds. They used university foundation money to buy a golf course. Hell, he even got Papa John kicked off the athletic board (though not the overall university board of directors) because he spoke negatively of the athletic program, and he's the guy whose name is on your football stadium.

Any other university would have fired their coach, and probably the AD, for the stripper scandal alone. This one is much worse, and I don't think either of them survive this.

I honestly feel sorry for their fans. Sure, there is some pleasure in the schadenfrued after UL fans ragged UK fans for years about how it doesn't matter how many titles UK wins, they'll all come down anyway because Calipari is a cheater. Of course it is their coach who has been proven the cheater, both in marriage and in basketball, and it is their banner that is coming down. But for ones I've heard from, this is the last straw. They're all out of defending Pitino and Jurich at this point. There's still some out there in denial, but not many. I don't wish the death penalty on the program, mostly because the severe negative economic impact it would have on the city and the state. So much of the downtown revitalization is centered around the YUM!Center. But they could be looking at a complete program rebuild not unlike what Kentucky went through in the late 80's, orchestrated ironically enough by the very man that is bringing their program down.

TheAlmightyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 27, 2017

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Comedy option, not that it's not all comedy, but it comes out that Pitino is playing the long con, that he's still loyal to UK and has been working to take down Louisville all along.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Pitino out

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Your Taint posted:

Doesn't he realize that *not* knowing is pretty much just as bad? How can you be that loving clueless?

(he totally knew)

Is that not the definition of lack of institutional control? I've always questioned the logic behind this argument, but that's what he keeps going with.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
http://es.pn/2xLEAim

Jeff Goodman talked to a few coaches about why they would or wouldn't take the Louisville job. It basically came down to money/prestige vs. dealing with the fallout. Older guys wouldn't touch it because of how much time it will take to get back to any sort of relevance. It's gonna have to be someone young and hungry enough to deal the sanctions but wants the big name job, and hope they do well enough to stay on once things start to get back to normal.

I would think Gregg Marshall is in the former group. They're not going to get someone from a program doing that well to come deal with the bullshit. And he's old enough by the time they're good again he's on his way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I think that law to force Louisville and Kentucky to play was introduced during all the expansion talks and 9 conference games in football for the SEC, because there was some speculation the series would drop to keep lower tier teams on the schedule. Nothing came of it though.

There are supposedly talks to restart UK-IU in Indy and Louisville, especially now that UL has been forced to loosen their iron grip on the YUM Center. And Calipari is friends with the Millers. But he still won't do home and home. Part of it is the loss in 2011, part of it is he likes to play neutral site games because it better simulates the tournament environment.

• Locked thread