Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
SO hopefully this isn't the part of the year where a bunch of USC dudes jump into the NBA draft and then go undrafted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/857011561818357763

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
USC has been doing great at recruiting this, I hope they aren't paying recruits this time :ohdear:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Welp, looks like USC is gonna suck again for another decade :suicide:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Rick Pitino testified he cheated on his wife with some floozie in a restaurant and came down his leg in 15 seconds.

Truth is stranger than fiction

edit: also UL sounds super hosed but as a fan of an Adidas school I'm certainly not gloating. I'm scared shitless.

Yeah, I'm super worried about USC, especially since Bland was our top recruiter and that almost certainly means he was involved in a lot of recent big signings

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/zhelfand/status/912748993351839744

:lol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

wow things must be really bad in lala land

Well considering their top recruiting assistant was charged, so it makes sense that they want to get ahead of the NCAA to figure things out (and to put everything in order to make sure Bland is the fall guy)

From the LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-tony-bland-20170926-story.html

quote:

Prosecutors allege that Bland met with Christian Dawkins, a former sports agent trying to start his own firm, and an undercover FBI agent on July 29 in a Las Vegas hotel room. Bland said any university players who he controlled would be “coming to” Dawkins, according to prosecutors, and the coach added he had “heavy influence” over his school’s players choosing agents and advisors.

They also discussed the need to “take care of” two USC players referred to in the complaint as “Player-8” and “Player-9.” The players were identified as a rising freshman and a rising sophomore.

In the room, prosecutors said, Dawkins took an envelope containing $13,000 and said he would give it to Bland. The two men left the room together.

“For these men, bribing coaches was a business investment,” Kim said.

Prosecutors also charged Bland with facilitating payments of $9,000 to families of two USC basketball players, using cash-filled envelopes.

During a meeting on USC’s campus Aug. 31 that prosecutors said was recorded by an undercover FBI agent, Bland told Dawkins, the agent and Munish Sood, the chief executive of an investment advisory firm, that if they continued to fund the families of USC players and recruits, the coach would ensure the players would use Dawkins as an agent.

“I definitely can get the players,” Bland told the others at the meeting. “And I can definitely mold the players and put them in the lap of you guys.”

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 26, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

shyduck posted:

can't wait until big baller brand is the official outfitter of the ncaa

He was actually interviewed in that loving article I posted

quote:

LaVar Ball, founder of Big Baller Brand and father of boys who play for the Lakers, UCLA and Chino Hills High, said no one ever offered him incentives to have his boys play for a particular school.

“I think it's wrong, but guess what, it's part of business,” he said. “I have no part of it. My boys have no part of it. That's where pressure comes in. My boy is in it for the love of the game. We owe nobody nothing.”

Regarding the influence of shoe companies, Ball said: “All of them have to find the next best dude. I have the next best guy. I have three.”

Like, that was just tacked on at the very end of the article

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

Is there any reason the schools with the assistants accepting bribes to guide current players to certain advisers would experience much blowback as far as NCAA sanctions? These guys were acting outside the interests of the school and the team and just exploiting their players for personal gain. The school gains no tangible benefit from it; it's effectively the same as if an assistant had been embezzling money from the team. He's fired, and he's going to jail, but if that's the extent of it I don't see why Auburn, OkSt, Arizona, etc. have anything to worry about other than the black eye.

Remember the USC Reggie Bush sanctions? Those were for this same kind of thing (and total bullshit too :argh:)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sinteres posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does the FBI care if coaches are violating NCAA rules?

Also, the Adidas guy was basically committing money laundering and lying on official reports about allocation of funds, which starts getting into SEC territory (the ones with the lawyers, not the conference)

I wonder if SDSU is gonna get wrapped up in this, thats where USC hired Tony Bland from and he was already considered one of the best recruiters on the West Coast

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/913506233021280257

:lol: this is gonna be a shitshow

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'll thae that job. Just teach em to shoot 3s and dunks only.

Implement the Grinnell System, tia

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

:lol:

USC got subpoenaed further today, as did a bunch of other schools

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

I'm going to become a college professor and become head of the game theory department, and the classes will be a FPS class, a tabletop RPG class, an MGS 5 class and I'll also force the athletes to play with me in MMOs as homework.

So you're gonna teach game design?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

elentar posted:

I teach games and game design sometimes and always get complaints from a few students that they didn't expect it to be so much work. :-/

Yeah, we had a ton of people switch majors first semester when they realized that

Also, weeder (aka poorly taught) programming courses

I think I got a 1 or 2 credits for taking Racquetball as well

Phys ed chat, itt

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
No joke, for one of my classes, we were given a 1 month free trial to WoW (before the intro levels were free), and had to write 3 page essay on tutorial systems. Game design courses had some weird assignments.

I had another course where the entirety of our grade was based on reviewing and creating board games.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

• Locked thread