Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Indiana missing the tournament is bad enough, but refusing to host a home game as the #3 seed in the NIT is an even dumber look. This season just keeps getting inexplicably worse.

At least Mike Davis is back in the tournament (again) with Texas Southern. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I respect Crean for what he did for our program, but it was definitely time for him to go. Hope he does well somewhere else.

Please just don't hire Alford now. :pray:

And believe me, IU fans are loving embarrassed and angry about the NIT thing too.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

the current Butler coach.

no

no

MourningView posted:

Steve Alford was literally born to be a terrible Indiana basketball coach stop loving around and get it over with already. You've been dancing around it for like 20 years now.

NOOOOO :negative:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

i fully believe Crean suffered from the Cutler Principle where a guy's sports career comes under 50% more harsh scrutiny solely because of his face

Robin Ventura had this at the Sox too. All my favorite teams have rid themselves of their strange-faced leaders :unsmith:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

They just need to find that perfect abusive rear end in a top hat that's good at coaching basketball, IU fans need a hero again.

I have hope that this attitude fades away as the Boomer contingent of the IU fanbase does as well. Along with "only recruit Indiana (read: white) kids" and "no one-and-dones."

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I just hope that the administration doesn't settle for Alford or someone like Dane Fife or Randy Wittman just because they're "Indiana Guys." Indiana basketball has its cultural quirks, as all programs do, but it's not like it's impenetrable to someone who didn't play here. A loud contingent of fans wants a guy who does things "the Indiana way" or some stupid poo poo like that, but I think (hope) Fred Glass and the administration are smarter than that.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

elentar posted:

Google Image Search of "the Indiana way" turns up a book on state history and a whole loving bunch of Mike Pence pics.

Not surprising; most people who are saying stuff like that look exactly like Mike Pence.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

You would have loved Dakich on Mike & Mike today, "IT'S BEEN 17 YEARS WE NEED AN INDIANA GUY"

I avoid Dakich like the plague, as all sensible people do.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

wicka posted:

I'm not sure how Dakich would ever smooth that over considering his listener base is pretty much all people who already don't care.

Regardless, Alford is a mediocre coach and a piece of poo poo person, I'm not supporting a program that hires him. And it would kind of blow my mind if it happened, too, because Glass is strongly against being a piece of poo poo and doesn't have a history of making hires as lazy and disappointing as that would be.

E: Glass should hire whoever is in charge of the insanely repetitive ads airing on the March Madness Live app. If they can make me hang myself, they can sure as poo poo hang a banner.

I am going to agree with everything said here, with the addition that multiple well-connected people have contradicted the "Alford's already signed" rumors.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Hell loving yes! However Evansville doesn't have football or hockey so the B1G probably wouldn't take us. Their loss I guess.

It's not like Purdue, Rutgers, or (until recently) Indiana really have football

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Larry Brown and Mike Woodson are apparently lobbying jointly for the Indiana job hahahaha

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

I admire this coaching search's commitment to finding coaches i hate and want to root against

Indiana isn't interested, allegedly. Even though it would be hilariously dumb.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

tom crean 2 georgetown

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

:getin:

I'd literally be happy with any of the other realistic candidates. This a load off my shoulders.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Credible sources say Indiana is in advanced talks with Archie Miller.

:shrug:

E: 7 year contract, could be signed today.

E2: official. Archie Miller will be the next head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 25, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I think Archie Miller is a good coach and all, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled if I were a Hoosier fan.

To be honest, I'm not thrilled. He's not a home run hire. But I'm happy that we got someone at least acceptable and I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Things are starting to come together for next year for Indiana now that the coaching situation is more settled.

De'ron Davis, Josh Newkirk, and :siren:Colin Hartman:siren: are confirmed to be returning, and it looks like Juwan Morgan will be back as well.

James Blackmon Jr. has declared for the draft without hiring an agent. Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster, he's most likely going pro somewhere. I'd imagine OG will declare soon too.

Robert Johnson, since he's getting his degree early, is definitely a transfer possibility, though I think his playing style would make him a better fit under Archie than he was under Crean. I haven't heard anything at all about Jones or Green.

The biggest question, of course, is still Thomas Bryant. There's rumblings that he wants to transfer, but that seems bizarre. Either stay another year at Indiana or go to the draft. I'd bet he goes to the draft, but we'll see.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

gvibes posted:

John Groce to Akron. Bring the TNT (toughness and togetherness) back to Ohio.

Dammit, I was hoping he'd come be an assistant for Archie in Bloomington.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

OG Anunoby is declaring for the draft and hiring an agent, to no one's surprise. He'll go down as one of the great "what could have been" careers in IU history.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

tom crean to osu, let's get this train on the road

I'm really glad we managed to pull Archie before this happened.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

pubic works project posted:

Lmao if they think they're getting Brad Stevens any of them.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Cue a bunch of Indiana fans complaining we didn't get Holtmann even though Archie is perfectly fine

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

I think OSU and Indiana could trade coaches and both fan bases might be pleased.

I would prefer to keep Archie, thanks.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

Sure that's bad, but have you considered that he never broke the NCAA's garbage rules and had a very high graduation rate?????

Thank you, Every Indiana Fan Over 35.

I'm happy that the athletics department has finally come around to the idea that we shouldn't be associating ourselves with that rear end in a top hat beyond hanging the banners he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Three top 100 recruits committed to Indiana in the last 24 hours. :getin:

• Locked thread