Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Holy poo poo boys, it's been 10 years. But NEVADA is back!

Everyone will talk about Cam Oliver and Marcus Marshall, but Jordan Caroline is our best player. He will feast down low against ISU. He can also shoot 3's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

5 Seed for ISU, best we could do. Don't know enough about Nevada though.

Would be great if we got Kansas in the Sweet 16.

I'm a Nevada alum, was in Vegas for the MWC Tournament. Let me know what questions you have. I'd like your breakdown of ISU as well if you don't mind.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea sure, I'd love to know more.

Iowa State Cyclones
Led by senior PG Monte Morris, he rarely makes mistakes and has the best assist/turnover ratio in the country for like three years running. Used to play a super up tempo offensive game, but it's a little slower these days. It's a team mostly focused on offense, and they shoot a lot of threes. They win because they also make a lot of threes. ISU is a little on the small side, with Morris, Burton, Thomas, and Mitrou-Long all 6'-5" and under. The tallest are Solomon Young and Darrell Bowie, both at 6'-8", but normally only see the court one at a time. Offense normally works around the perimeter looking for a three, or to open the lane for a drive to the basket. Everyone on offense but the big men can shoot the three, which is why they can spread defenses out. The tend to play 8 deep, and the offense averages 80.9 a game.

ISU has been bad at rebounding for a while, and this team is no different. Since they play a little smaller, and at the perimeter, they don't get that many offensive boards. Getting badly out-rebounded has cost ISU a few games, and if they don't shoot well things go south in a hurry because they don't create lots of second chances. Overall defense is average, giving up 72 points a game. There has been more focus on defense on Coach Prohm, making ISU a more balanced team.

The team had a pretty rough stretch at the end of non-con play, and beginning of conference play. Last few weeks though they have looked really good, and playing well together. Solomon Young took a while to get used to college ball, but is turning into an essential player on D. If the Clones start a game shooting well, then they usually win. They've also struggled to close out games though, letting some teams back in with a minute or two to go. May cost them in the tournament. Overall, it's a very experienced team, which tends to help in the tournament. I actually think they can be a Sweet 16 team, or Elite 8 if they really play at their full potential.

Nevada Wolf Pack

Eric Musselman has turned the Nevada program around in his two years at the helm. Two years ago Nevada had won 9 games and their coach was fired. Last year they won 24 games and were the winners of the CBI Tournament. This year they won the MWC regular season and post season titles, sitting at 28-6.

Led by 3 great players: Marcus Marshall (19.8ppg), Cam Oliver (15.8 ppg, 8.7rpg) and Jordan Caroline (14.8ppg, 9.2rpg), the Pack is a high scoring team. They average 80ppg, 39rpg 16apg. Depth is an issue, as Musselman only plays 7 players. Jordan Caroline is our unsung hero, and is our energy guy.

Nevada used to be a mainstay in the NCAA tournament, getting to the Sweet 16 in the 2004 tournament. Winning a game in 2005 and 2006. This will be their first time in the Big Dance since 2007. Should be a fun, high scoring game.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Minnesota is going to go balls deep on MTSU.

I agree, if I had to rank the 12/5 upset by most likely to least:

1. Nevada*
2. Princeton
3. MTSU
4. UNCW

*I'm a Nevada alum...

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Would you rather be a 15/16 seed every year, or be seeded higher in the NIT and have a shot to win games?

For most mid major schools this doesn't apply, as a Mountain West, A-10, MVC schools usually are seeded between 12 and 7.

But if you are the same MEAC or SWAC school and always get that 16/16 play in game, as a fan, wouldn't you rather have a shot to win some post season games in the NIT?

I almost think the NIT should allow the losers of the play in games to go to the NIT.

• Locked thread