Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Via highlights of meaningless European summer basketball, Arizona looks pretty great. Point guard depth looks a little lacking, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My stepdad was right about money and Arizona, but he also said it about them getting guys over USC, so, lol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kiimo posted:

If you somehow involve Nike in this as well basically all of college basketball save the handful of Under Armour teams go down with it.

Arizona is a Nike school but it does not appear in their case that this was shoe related, rather "work with this financial guy" related.

From the story you just posted it certainly looks like Quinerly is the guy who got paid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does the FBI care if coaches are violating NCAA rules?

People working for publicly funded orgs taking bribes is what they're going for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Injuries are always bad of course, but at least that is a position they have depth at.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm going to become a college professor and become head of the game theory department, and the classes will be a FPS class, a tabletop RPG class, an MGS 5 class and I'll also force the athletes to play with me in MMOs as homework.

E: For what it's worth I also had a bullshit class in college, "College Success Strategies." I was eligible (and my advisor encouraged me to take it because I had a full time job at the time and he, rightly, insisted it would be a good way to help my GPA) because I was non-trad and it was a technically a physical class with me and a bunch of athletes and we had extremely simple open book online tests, online assignments that were like a paragraph of writing and two physical classes the whole semester (only the first was mandatory) and no final exam.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 13, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

So you're gonna teach game design?

I was more thinking playing these games, but actually sounds legitimate when you put it like that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I took a night class called "Close Listening" which was technically an English class where we were supposed to write about music. The professor was totally winging it and he missed 1/3 of the classes. I'm pretty sure nobody did worse than a B.

We had a dope reading list though. David Byrne's "How Music Works" is fascinating.

I actually took a "Physics of Music" class and it was supposed to be open to non science students but like he gave us these impossible assignments that had nothing to do with the reading, experiments or lectures (which were interesting), even the science types couldn't get their head around and everyone (the class only had 5 people) on them, and they were never graded, and we had a take home final exam that he gave us over Thanksgiving break that I worked 12 hours on and got and still got F. We had this really weird project experience that he left in the middle of (it was not during regular finals time and he gave like a really confusing explanation about having to teach another class because of an emergency), and we had to come back out of class time two hours later (didn't have a car at the time so I couldn't come home). I was mad at that point. The last day of class he gave us a 90 minute lecture on how Global Warming was NOT a consensus (ironically I was also taking a global warming class). But when I looked on my report card, he gave me an A.

Anyway the class was really useful to know scientifically that audiophiles are full of poo poo.

My first year of college was really aimless and I basically wasted it outside of required classes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

There have been like house resolutions and stuff calling for them to play every year but that doesn't actually have the force of law

I wouldn't be surprised if the state's board of regents (if they have one) used these resolutions when approving schedules, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I'm sure there's some local political pressure to keep playing it and I doubt think it's in any serious danger of ending because it's way too profitable a game, I just saying it isn't actually mandated by law. For some reason "Team X is REQUIRED BY LAW to play in-state school Y" is a very common thing on fanboards even though it's almost never actually true. Iowa fans say it about the ISU game all the time too and it's not true there either (some regents or people on the legislature would probably make a stink if it ended but in theory it could end when the contract is up in 2023 or whatever it is and Iowa's AD has periodically talked about putting it on hold for a year or two to get some variety in the schedule).

Yeah it was definitely ASU and UA had to play NAU as a binding law in Arizona but Grey Byrne pretty quickly canceled the NAU football games once he took over (people had tried before but there was a less friendly regent system that didn't approve it). I don't think he knew that people actually like those games (at least UA fans, I can't speak for ASU fans) and brought playing them back by popular demand.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So he reported Pastner because of, among other things, Arizona getting in trouble? Does he not realize how bad that it makes Arizona look because of how tightly connected Miller and Pastner (and Arizona) are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I believe in The Jelly.

• Locked thread