Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
it's very weird to me that americans like edgar wright films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gatts posted:

I loved John Hamm and Jamie Foxx. Hamm in particular felt somewhat warm and likable even as a bad dude versus Foxx who was just out and out bad in nature.

I personally though that they did a good job of actually kinda fleshing out Foxx's character in small ways. Like initially he was introduced as a kinda stereotypical, psychotic brusier. And not to say he wasn't, such as the ambiguous fate of the dude at the gas station. But they do a good job of showing him as intelligently able to read the room, like how he reads John Hamm or being able to tell Paul Williams and his gang are cops. He definitely comes across as a dude who has his reasons for smoking someone. It's just he's a dude who very much believes he's the smartest person in the room, and has his one tool for dealing with most anything that comes his way. It's a combo of egotism, and the saying that 'If all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like nails'.

Which is fantastically contrasted with Baby, whose shown as being very adaptable, ala Indiana Jones but with a car.

Personally, John Hamm came across as more psychotic. I mean, he plans to kill Foxx for a perceived social faux pas and nothing else. Doesn't really get more clear cut than that. Plus, it adds a small undercurrent of the 99%, Jamie Foxx being a dude who had to fight his way up to Bank Robbery, vs. the 1%, rich rear end in a top hat who attacks the poors directly because it gets him hard. Black dude worked hard to make his way to get to where he is, and the rich white guy wants to off him because he doesn't like him.

RideTheSpiral posted:

it's very weird to me that americans like edgar wright films

Dude, it's super dorky film nerd stuff that's both super accessible while can be taken as Intelligent Art. The British aspect only adds an exotic mystique of 'underground coolness'. It's like Monty Python, or like Doctor Who or Top Gear but actually good.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 30, 2017

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Dude, it's super dorky film nerd stuff that's both super accessible while can be taken as Intelligent Art. The British aspect only adds an exotic mystique of 'underground coolness'. It's like Monty Python, or like Doctor Who or Top Gear but actually good.

i mean I get it but I still find it odd. maybe he has found the middle ground between British and American comedy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I liked that Baby was a bit of a doofus. It made the character for me.

I like that he doesn't know the right way to pronounce T-Rex.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
For people interested, Wright talks a ton about the Ant-Man debacle on the Happy Sad Confused podcast. He apparently spent 6 weeks waiting on Marvel's writers to return a draft of the script (that they were writing without his and Cornish's input) and in that time spoke to a bunch of director friends who told him to walk.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
A bad ad:
https://twitter.com/loganluckymovie/status/877964627254140929

DrVenkman posted:

I like that he doesn't know the right way to pronounce T-Rex.

That read as "I've never spoken to anyone about this but I've read the word a thousand times" which is a fun bit of character development

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Coffee And Pie posted:

A bad ad:
https://twitter.com/loganluckymovie/status/877964627254140929

That read as "I've never spoken to anyone about this but I've read the word a thousand times" which is a fun bit of character development

At first I was like "Oh, cute, he's that kind of nerd I was, where I just read about stuff I liked and never talked about it", and then it dawned on me that he's lived his entire life LITERALLY not having anyone to talk about music with, despite it being pretty much the fundamental joy in his life.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's quite a turd of an ad but it's kinda neat that they're trying to ride the Baby Driver wave, that means it's doing well.

That said Logan Lucky looks fun. Like a white trash Ocean's Eleven.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna watch that just for Daniel Craig's character

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just bought tickets for a showing tomorrow at Cinetopia, they do assigned seating and so far it looks like we'll have the theater to ourselves. I hope this movie does well but here in Beaverton, Oregon it doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Was a really fun movie and a great sound track and a few I nearly shazam'd right in the theater.

I'll have to watch it again to eek out any more hidden details. One thing I did catch right away was that Buddy killed Griff off screen for looking at Darling funny in the elevator. He wasn't so much looking at her funny as he was eye-loving her.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Movie was amazing. The opening sequence with the lyrics graffiti'd on the walls, and all a one-r! Amazing.

I danced all the way back home listening to the soundtrack on Spotify.

NYTimes said it best, Gene Kelly mixed with Steve McQueen.

Going again as soon as I can.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought it was good, but I still felt underwhelmed. Probably a touch too long and I wasn't crazy about the third act. I feel like there's a definite point where the movie shifts a bit that doesn't match up to the first half of the film.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Saw this today in a half-full showing (but it was an early afternoon matinee, so hopefully it'll do decent business over the weekend. Loved it mostly, although the romance and the coda at the end didn't really hit for me. I think the actor who played Baby held his weight with the far more experienced cast though. Whoever said that the stakes and the tension just keep ratcheting up in the second & third act was right on, but the movie kept everything tight and pulled it off for the most part. Loved the style, the music, and the chases/action scenes were great. Kinda want to see an entire prequel of Bats, Doc, Buddy & Darling doing their respective things, all the side characters were instantly memorable and really elevated the movie.

geeves posted:

Was a really fun movie and a great sound track and a few I nearly shazam'd right in the theater.

I'll have to watch it again to eek out any more hidden details. One thing I did catch right away was that Buddy killed Griff off screen for looking at Darling funny in the elevator. He wasn't so much looking at her funny as he was eye-loving her.

I shazam'd "hocus pocus" by focus during the movie; I'd heard it years ago in a Nike ad, so I halfway recognized it but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Every track was perfectly used though.

Your point about Griff...makes a ton of sense. Wow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Really great stuff- I think Wright's best since Hot Fuzz, which to be fair means it's better than two other movies, but still.

I like how it felt tense and genuinely unpredictable. Not in the sense of "here is a twist" but that it really felt the story could go anywhere at multiple points. There was a period where I felt "Okay maybe this is a little problematic with the black guy on the heist causing the most trouble" but then everyone really shows their ugly side. And let's face it, Foxx gives a great performance, maybe the best in the film.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's a song in the movie with a bongos intro that sounds like it's going to be Apache (or Jump On It), but it's a different song. Anyone know the name of it? It's in the second half of the movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's a song in the movie with a bongos intro that sounds like it's going to be Apache (or Jump On It), but it's a different song. Anyone know the name of it? It's in the second half of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBBhmu-fPyk

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Still thinking about how amazingly choreographed and well done the entire Hocus Pocus sequence was shot

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The Hocus Pocus and Tequila scenes were outright magical.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Totally enjoyed this. Was surprised that (stylistic spoiler) the pace and rhythm of the world would match his music and I really loved that. All in all, had menace, very nice stunts, and some strong characters. Easily my second favorite after Shaun of the Dead.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Liked it, but it was very "smoothed out" for a Wright flick. Still got enough of his quirk, but he was laser-focused on rhythm here. Watching the trailers again, I'm surprised by how much of Spacey's dialogue was cut ("give them something to talk about over their lattes," "tell me who dies").

I guess I need to rewatch Monsters, Inc.

DC Murderverse posted:

Cameos, notes and Edgar Wright Directing Tricks I noticed:

*Also well used: stereo sound. What you hear mirrors what the characters hear, so when Baby only has one bud in, you only get the music out of one side (the same side as he's listening to, of course).

The coolest thing about that scene (not really a spoiler) is how yeah, Baby has his right earbud in and that's reflected in the mix so we only hear the right ear as well. But then Jon Hamm walks off the right of the screen and that's in the right side of the mix as well, despite it being to Baby's left.

My personal favorite was the way Wright was able to make impromptu mashups: as Baby runs through the mall, most shops play hip-hop that's beatmapped to Hocus Pocus, and it rocks

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Your point about Griff...makes a ton of sense. Wow.

lol i totally glossed over that, but looking back his last words were "if you don't see me again...I'm dead"

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2017

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Was that mall for the chase supposed to be underground Atlanta? I was having trouble recognizing it, but may have just been some non-Atlanta location also.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So what happened to No-nose? Does anyone know?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fangz posted:

So what happened to No-nose? Does anyone know?

As far as I can tell he just ends up being some small-time crook who doesn't gently caress up the job and therefore doesn't get shot in the face, takes his cut, and waltzes out of the movie. I like that they bothered to show that, yeah, Doc sometimes just pulls in random crooks for small-time jobs, and assuming they don't gently caress anything up, that's that.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What was with some of the big exposition dumps by Kevin Spacey? Is this just an aspect of the heist genre? Wright's other films usually had a bit more subtlety it seemed like with background information.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

checkplease posted:

What was with some of the big exposition dumps by Kevin Spacey? Is this just an aspect of the heist genre? Wright's other films usually had a bit more subtlety it seemed like with background information.

Yeah pretty much. Almost every heist movie has that because, well, someone has to lay these things out. Unless you're on about him talking about Baby's condition which is one thing I actually liked because Spacey delivers it with an air of "Great, here's another crew I have to explain this poo poo to."

Also, while I love 'Brighton Rock', I don't know how anyone would pick that as their killer track over 'Stone Cold Crazy'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe Wright felt Stone Cold Crazy would be too on the nose.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
weren't even any babies in this bullshit movie much less a baby driving a car. two thumbs down

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skip My Posts posted:

weren't even any babies in this bullshit movie much less a baby driving a car. two thumbs down

Way not to pay attention to the movie, brah.

There is a baby passenger in the second heist. Although the baby doesn't actually drive, being an infant it can't even reach the accelerator with its puny feet, it does play an importnat role in showing that the main character is not a big meany like the other criminals and as such you could say that it "drives" his character arc forward.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It was a pretty good movie.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
It was a cool movie. Obviously not comparable really with Shaun or Hot Fuzz, but they feel like different genre's really. I did like the unpredictably of it. I assumed Jamie Foxx was going to be the ultimate baddie who kidnapped Debora as revenge later, Hamm was going to be the bad guy with a conscience who let's Baby go because he realises Baby is in love like he is, and Kevin Spacy needed to be killed off so Baby could finally be free, and none of those characters ended that way..

Somehow, despite there being numerous scenes throughout the film where I thought "Oh wow, this is awesome", as a package it still seems sort of forgetable, and I'm not exactly sure why it's not sticking with me like some other objectively less cool films are. I feel like in the last third I wasn't really interested in Hamm as the nemesis, as it didn't feel that there was that much character to him, especially compared to Foxx who had stolen the show in the previous third.

Also, I don't know if it was Michael Bond dying or what, but the please look after me tape message made me well up a bit .

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe Wright felt Stone Cold Crazy would be too on the nose.

Brighton Rock is also about a couple in love, which is the center of the movie. Stone Cold Crazy would tell the plot, but Brighton Rock tells the story.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

raditts posted:

Yeah, reminds me of when some family brought a baby and a kid that couldn't have been older than 3 or 4 to see Deadpool. Not sure what the gently caress they were thinking, it's not as though the ads weren't upfront about what kind of movie it was gonna be.

I saw the Evil Dead remake one row up from some Mom(?) who brought her two 8-10ish kids to see it. The kids to their credit were more confused than anything and they left half way through.

No idea how the theater staff even let her buy the tickets for that one.

Edit: consulted with a friend who was there and he says he saw them sneak in.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 1, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I agree with the "good, not great" thoughts.

I liked some of the little details. One I hadn't seen mentioned yet: Debora says Baby is reading the kid's menu at the diner. He sheepishly flips it over and we just think he was distracted by her. A little later it comes out that he eats there all the time and his mom worked there. He was ordering off the kid's menu because that's what he did with his mom. :smith:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Brighton Rock is also about a couple in love, which is the center of the movie. Stone Cold Crazy would tell the plot, but Brighton Rock tells the story.

Well...it's about two people who have a fling until the last few lines reveal the man had a wife back home.

Wright said he wanted songs that had parts of movements to them, so while 'Stone Cold Crazy' is a bit more face-shredding, 'Brighton Rock' probably suited the scene better.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Haven't seen anyone mention two things

buddys girl says "once he sees red you'll see black" and he's washed in red the rest of the movie

Also killer Mike is next to spacey when he interrupts baby's dinner with Deborah

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I liked this movie when I saw it the first time. On a whim, I decided to watch it again, and... now I kinda love it. Like WAY more than before. Because once you've gotten the plot down and you don't have to worry about paying attention to what's happening, you can really take in how it's happening, aka how loving perfectly choreographed and edited this entire movie is from start to finish. Everything, everything, has a rhythm to it. The sheer amount of effort involved in perfectly aligning the layers and layers of music and sound effects--footsteps, gunshots, dialogue, all in time-- boggles the mind. And the visuals. The visuals align with the sound which aligns to the music; not just the actions of the actors in the scene, but the actual scenery, the cuts between shots, the scene transitions... I'm not exaggerating when I say the only way this movie could exist is because Edgar Wright went into filming with the completed product already in his head somehow. Some people find the movie when they're filming, or editing. Not this dude. This dude already found the movie. He found it like a decade ago, and he's been itching to make it this whole time, and it shows.

The amount of love and care and sheer filmmaking craftsmanship that went into every loving frame of this movie is kind of jaw-dropping.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I will probably need to watch this at least 3 more times to catch everything. I didn't even appreciate the continuous shot in the beginning until it was half over.

checkplease posted:

Was that mall for the chase supposed to be underground Atlanta? I was having trouble recognizing it, but may have just been some non-Atlanta location also.

That was Lenox mall. I think near the food courts.

I went to Georgia State, so it was cool seeing all the buildings and parks around the campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bows1 posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention two things

buddys girl says "once he sees red you'll see black" and he's washed in red the rest of the movie

Also killer Mike is next to spacey when he interrupts baby's dinner with Deborah

He was blue in the diner. Glad to see Motherfucker Jones in another movie.

• Locked thread